PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Late night bullshit: My favorite non-Mahomes play of the year (kinda).

Direckshun
04-16-2020, 10:04 PM
I just want to start out by saying that my actual favorite non-Mahomes play of the year was all three of the playoff-game ending sacks Frank Clark notched. So this is all kind of a lie. There was also a play early in the playoffs, I believe, where Tyrann Matthieu covered two guys in the same play and still notched the tackle against a scrambling Deshaun Watson.

But I've been watching coach's tape of the Patriots game this season and it's just start-to-finish gold. To watch an expertly coached, expertly executing team just hit brick wall after brick wall against us in all three phases was a real thing of beauty.

I did enjoy one play more than the others, aside from many, many Mahomes plays. (He was unreal in this game.)

2nd quarter, 3:43 left, ball on the NE 22, NE ball on a 2nd & 10. (53:45 on the coach's film.)

Brady under center with Sony Michel as his tailback. Trips to the right, and one out far left.

We are in nickel, with Okafor/Kpassganon as our bookends, and Nnadi/Saunders in the interior. Sorensen and Hitchens are the 2nd line, with Breeland/Ward/Fuller/Thornhill/Matthieu inthe secondary.

The receivers are all blanketed with perfectly executed zone. Matthieu tracks Edelman as his motions pre-snap, only to hand him off at the snap and receive him again by the end of the play. That was pretty cool.

But the Patriots weren't trying to throw the ball downfield -- they were going for a screen pass. And they ran into two brick walls at the same time.

Saunders and Nnadi owned this play. They both two-gapped, and Saunders straight up held his lineman while tracking Michel the entire play, while Nnadi was edging past his and caught the screen pass the moment it happened.

The edge rushers both shot up field, and the linebackers weren't even looking for the screen pass, having both bit on the Brady fake so horrific that Michel could have had a chunk play. By the time he received the pass, Hitchens and Sorensen had their backs to the play.

But Saunders and Nnadi converged on Michel at the same time. They both leapt and sandwiched him, bringing him down for no gain.

Both Veach picks, both third rounders, one from 2018 and the other from 2019, evidence of expert in-house coaching, some of it under Sutton but especially under Spags and Daly.

And it was evidence that this was not the team the Patriots could out-muscle anymore. The Chiefs had finally fortified their interior. Teams could no longer do as they wished between the tackles. And that would foreshadow their success in the postseason.

Matthieu clapped competitively in Edelman's face after the snap, and a few snaps later, Kpassagnon puts Brady on his ass and Chris Jones shouts his famous "get your ass up or retire" trash talk. So it was all in all just a bewilderingly satisfying game.

But that play in particular meant a ton to me as a fan in how far the team had come in one short season, and how far it could potentially go as a result.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-16-2020, 10:07 PM
Lulz

Hammock Parties
04-16-2020, 10:08 PM
That might have been the most satisfying game I've ever watched as a Chiefs fan.

As soon as we won that game, it was like a great monkey was lifted off our backs.

Hope truly was kindled.

Direckshun
04-16-2020, 10:10 PM
That might have been the most satisfying game I've ever watched as a Chiefs fan.

As soon as we won that game, it was like a great monkey was lifted off our backs.

Hope truly was kindled.

The difference, on both sides of the ball, between the AFCCG and this game was stark.

The Patriots would make a game out of this but it did curiously feel like we just controlled the game. It was magnificent.

Chiefspants
04-16-2020, 10:12 PM
Honestly, I’d love a Holthus dub of this game’s broadcast. He and Kendall’s emotions were at a 100 the entire game.

Direckshun
Not for nothing but our pass protection was phenomenal almost the entire game too.

Hammock Parties
It's a pity Mahomes got hurt in that game, because the Chiefs offense absolutely blistered New England's defense in the first half.

They could have dropped 40 easy.

FAX
04-16-2020, 10:18 PM
First of all, this isn't exactly "late-night" ... particularly not in the midst of a total lockdown.

Time has no meaning any longer.

Nonetheless (and second of all), the Saunders and Nnadi sandwich was pretty cool.

FAX

FAX
04-16-2020, 10:21 PM
Honestly, I’d love a Holthus dub of this game’s broadcast. He and Kendall’s emotions were at a 100 the entire game.

If GamePass is still free of charge (and I believe it may be), you can select the game then choose to "Listen", Mr. Chiefspants.

After choosing the game, a dropdown will appear that allows you to select either the home or away radio coverage.

FAX THE HELPFUL

Direckshun
04-16-2020, 10:25 PM
If GamePass is still free of charge (and I believe it may be), you can select the game then choose to "Listen", Mr. Chiefspants.

After choosing the game, a dropdown will appear that allows you to select either the home or away radio coverage.

FAX THE HELPFUL

What? Where’s “listen”?

FAX
04-16-2020, 10:51 PM
What? Where’s “listen”?

Hold on a second and I'll go take a look ...

Okay ...

First off, you go to https://gamepass.nfl.com/schedule (or wherever if you have to create an account or something).

Then you select the game ... in this case, Week 14. Then cursor over the game and you'll see options; Condensed, Full Replay, Etc. One of these options is "Listen" ... that's the bad boy you want. Click "Listen" and BOOM your game is cued up and ready. There's a drop-down in the middle (IIRC) where you select Home, Away, or SAP.

Oddly,

If you've already watched the game, "Resume" might replace "Listen". (NFL tech is stupid.)

If that's the tragic situation, Select Resume (or Full Replay or whatever) to open the game. Then, there's a drop-down at the top right of the game screen section. "Listen" is listed therein.

FAX

Chiefspants
04-16-2020, 11:16 PM

FAX THE HELPFUL

I’ve listened! Amazing broadcast. I’m talking the type of thing where Holthus and Kendall are put over the video feed too. They were put over the Super Bowl video broadcast and a copy of that with a download link may or may not have floated around these parts for a while.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
04-16-2020, 11:28 PM
Nnadi is vastly underrated

el borracho
04-17-2020, 12:08 AM
Fitzpatrick to Gesicke was my favorite non-Mahomes play of 2019.
Kelce lateral to McCoy was my favorite non-Mahomes Chiefs play of the 2019 season.

Chargem
04-17-2020, 12:22 AM
My favorite play of the season was when the Packers were set up for a hail mary at the end of the 2nd quarter and Spags sent a blitz that meant Rodgers didn't even get to throw the ball.

I feel like that play showed me what was to come from the D.

Danguardace
04-17-2020, 01:55 AM
Clarke Sack on Tannehill to Ice the AFCCG, that euphoria was not even match by the superbowl for me it was like all the previous decades of pain released from my soul, the Superbowl I just watched in disbelief at the comeback.

big nasty kcnut
04-17-2020, 02:31 AM
I have to say getting a 99 yard fumble return was very sexy. That was a heads up play.

Direckshun
04-17-2020, 06:10 AM
Fitzpatrick to Gesicke was my favorite non-Mahomes play of 2019.
Kelce lateral to McCoy was my favorite non-Mahomes Chiefs play of the 2019 season.

Honestly the lateral was only the 2nd most impressive part of that play. The most impressive was, of course, Mahomes.

He was scrambling to his right, and Kelce was running across his face to his left. Mahomes lobs the ball over the defender to Kelce who is running in the opposite direction. That pass was a dime, too. Absolutely ridiculous.

DTVietnam
04-17-2020, 06:44 AM
Courtland Sutton was talking sh** all week:
"not ‘if’ — when we go in and take care of business in Kansas City, it’s going to definitely shake up the division a little bit.
Going to Kansas City this week, why not start now? Hit ’em in the mouth. Let ’em know that next season, y’all boys are in for it. For sure

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">This might’ve been my favorite play from the first half. Courtland Sutton has been awesome this year. He’s made multiple tough grabs like this. Yet Tyrann Mathieu comes through to keep a Denver TD off of the board. Great play. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Chiefs</a> <a href="https://t.co/elwbWcdqOq">pic.twitter.com/elwbWcdqOq</a></p>&mdash; Tyler Greever (@Tyler_Greever) <a href="https://twitter.com/Tyler_Greever/status/1206295163330613248?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 15, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

after the game:

Courtland Sutton asked postgame if best to turn page on Chiefs loss: "No. I hate the Chiefs. I don't realy care, I do not like them. Playing against them and losing to them is really, really frustrating. Very, very frustrating

Rasputin
04-17-2020, 07:24 AM
To me this is the spark that ignited our 24-0 epic comeback
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/p2hGUZrPkO0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

and then there is this
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JqEd2-MKamI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You can't catch him Good Bye / Keven Harlen

ThaVirus
04-17-2020, 07:25 AM
He's clearly saying "You can kiss him goodbye"