PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chris Jones Sleeper trade candidate

chiefforlife
04-23-2020, 08:42 AM
Gil Brandt says CJ could be traded

Gil Brandt

@Gil_Brandt

Veteran player most likely to be traded at some point before or during the draft: Leonard Fournette

Sleeper: Chris Jones
4:50 PM - Apr 22, 2020

You cant trade a player unless he signs the franchise tag? Right?
I guess if we hear about CJ signing his franchise tag then he could be traded today. If not, he is likely going to be a Chief long term!

I have been against trading him but as the draft approaches the idea of having more picks has me thinking maybe we should? Glad Im not Veach.

wazu
04-23-2020, 08:45 AM
Gil Brandt says CJ could be traded

Gil Brandt

@Gil_Brandt

Veteran player most likely to be traded at some point before or during the draft: Leonard Fournette

Sleeper: Chris Jones
4:50 PM - Apr 22, 2020

You cant trade a player unless he signs the franchise tag? Right?
I guess if we hear about CJ signing his franchise tag then he could be traded today. If not, he is likely going to be a Chief long term!

I have been against trading him but as the draft approaches the idea of having more picks has me thinking maybe we should? Glad Im not Veach.

Seems like a lot of times it all goes down simultaneously. Sign/trade/new deal, etc.

Mecca
04-23-2020, 08:46 AM
Not Gil Brandt again...

chiefforlife
04-23-2020, 08:48 AM
Seems like a lot of times it all goes down simultaneously. Sign/trade/new deal, etc.

Thats a LOT to do while you are on the clock for what 15 minutes?

I would think it has to be done (the signing) before the draft.

MahomesKnows
04-23-2020, 08:48 AM
If he gets traded, it happens today. I think the chances of Jones being moved go down significantly after tonight.

Mecca
04-23-2020, 08:49 AM
I think the odds of him being traded went down significantly when covid 19 struck and the Chiefs decided it was in their best interest to have as little of change as possible.

smithandrew051
04-23-2020, 08:54 AM
I think the odds of him being traded went down significantly when covid 19 struck and the Chiefs decided it was in their best interest to have as little of change as possible.

I think the Buckner trade is where the likelihood of a trade first started going way down.

That set the bar for trade compensation and a new contract for Jones. Hard to envision someone giving up more and paying more for Jones.

wazu
04-23-2020, 09:04 AM
Thats a LOT to do while you are on the clock for what 15 minutes?

I would think it has to be done (the signing) before the draft.

Guess I pictured an "agreed upon" thing, contingent on finding a trade partner. You may be right, though. Can't specifically remember a mid-draft trade involving somebody who hadn't yet signed franchise tender.

Shields68
04-23-2020, 09:06 AM
If he gets traded, it happens today. I think the chances of Jones being moved go down significantly after tonight.

Personally I think if a trade was going to be made it would have happened already. The new CBA makes it tougher for players to hold out so the Chiefs have more leverage then in the past and it is just about making the numbers work considering Mahomes is the first priority.

Direckshun
04-23-2020, 09:06 AM

I think the Buckner trade is where the likelihood of a trade first started going way down.

That set the bar for trade compensation and a new contract for Jones. Hard to envision someone giving up more and paying more for Jones.

I think you’re both correct.

kcclone
04-23-2020, 09:10 AM
I agree with the OP except the long term part. I think it means he plays under the tag this year then we let him walk next year.

Mecca
04-23-2020, 09:11 AM
Jones also hasn't made enough money to spit on 16 million dollars, he hasn't made half that over his whole career so far.

OKchiefs
04-23-2020, 09:15 AM
I agree with the OP except the long term part. I think it means he plays under the tag this year then we let him walk next year.

That makes zero sense. Either sign him long term or trade him. Letting him walk next year means you lose an all pro talent for a measly bottom of the 3rd round pick, that's not acceptable.

OKchiefs
04-23-2020, 09:16 AM

Curious why it would be hard to imagine someone giving up more and paying more? Jones is the superior player, is he not?

Mecca
04-23-2020, 09:18 AM
Curious why it would be hard to imagine someone giving up more and paying more? Jones is the superior player, is he not?

Finding a team willing to do it isn't easy...there are probably at least 15 GM's that would tell you trading a high value pick for the right to pay a player is idiotic unless it's a QB.

kcclone
04-23-2020, 09:24 AM
That makes zero sense. Either sign him long term or trade him. Letting him walk next year means you lose an all pro talent for a measly bottom of the 3rd round pick, that's not acceptable.

Right, but you realize Chris Jones has a say in this as well, right? If they haven’t signed him to a long term deal by now, it probably means he’s sticking to his guns and wants more money than we want to sign long term. He knows he has a floor of $16m and picks up more leverage next year.

You can’t force a trade if Jones is demanding $22+ and there isn’t a market for it with other teams.

Jones has a lot of leverage. Play for the SB contenders one more year for $16m and likely get $22+ if he has another great season.

Shields68
04-23-2020, 09:25 AM
Finding a team willing to do it isn't easy...there are probably at least 15 GM's that would tell you trading a high value pick for the right to pay a player is idiotic unless it's a QB.

Would agree. But on the other hand getting a player in the mid/late first to have an impact of a Chris Jones is not easy and if the cap increases like it should then there are going to be a number of teams with a lot of money to spend.

So the Bruckner- Frank Clark trades are still going to be made. I just think Veech is intent on keeping Jones and will make it work after the draft.

smithandrew051
04-23-2020, 09:25 AM

The fact that he is the superior player is part of the issue.

A team who can give up more than the Colts and have the cap space is probably bad enough that they would be better for investing all of those assets in multiple pieces. Whatever team has the cap and draft capital most likely isn’t a DT away from the Super Bowl.

Mecca
04-23-2020, 09:27 AM
Would agree. But on the other hand getting a player in the mid/late first to have an impact of a Chris Jones is not easy and if the cap increases like it should then there are going to be a number of teams with a lot of money to spend.

So the Bruckner- Frank Clark trades are still going to be made. I just think Veech is intent on keeping Jones and will make it work after the draft.

There are teams that will do them, but not all, some GM's it goes completely against everything they believe in.

smithandrew051
04-23-2020, 09:28 AM

If Buckner is worth pick 13, then we probably aren’t talking about a mid-late first for Jones. With Buncker as the precedent, Jones is worth a top 12 pick.

I think Veach wants to keep Jones too. Or at the very least, wants a haul for him. We see how he values a premier DL based on what he gave up for and paid Clark.

Veach won’t be settling in a trade for Jones. Nor should he.

Chief Northman
04-23-2020, 09:29 AM
Finding a team to pony up the equivalent or better of the Buckner trade compensation plus offering a $21-22 million per year deal on multiple years? Not happening.

Jones will be extended by KC before July 15th.

Coogs
04-23-2020, 09:43 AM

This is why I think Jax could be a player in this. They have their DE tagged. He is the first domino that needs to be moved. They are obviously okay with paying that type of money for D-line, as theirs is already allocated by the tag. If they complete that reported deal with the Raiders, then that frees up their money and gives them the draft pick to flip for Jones.

OKchiefs
04-23-2020, 09:44 AM
If Buckner is worth pick 13, then we probably aren’t talking about a mid-late first for Jones. With Buncker as the precedent, Jones is worth a top 12 pick.

I think Veach wants to keep Jones too. Or at the very least, wants a haul for him. We see how he values a premier DL based on what he gave up for and paid Clark.

Veach won’t be settling in a trade for Jones. Nor should he.

If we keep him then great.

But if a trade were to happen, does it necessarily have to be for higher than pick 13? Would it be the end of the world if it's pick 20-22 and then a 2nd round pick next year?

Red Dawg
04-23-2020, 09:44 AM
We ain't getting shit for Jones. He wants a Buckner deal and teams just won't do it.

Mecca
04-23-2020, 09:49 AM
This is why I think Jax could be a player in this. They have their DE tagged. He is the first domino that needs to be moved. They are obviously okay with paying that type of money for D-line, as theirs is already allocated by the tag. If they complete that reported deal with the Raiders, then that frees up their money and gives them the draft pick to flip for Jones.

They tagged him to trade him though......they're literally tanking on purpose.

BigChiefFan
04-23-2020, 10:12 AM
A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush. I prefer that we keep Jones.

RealSNR
04-23-2020, 10:12 AM
Gil Brandt says a lot of things. That's what happens when you're a senile old man.

SBLIVchamps
04-23-2020, 10:16 AM
If we keep him then great.

But if a trade were to happen, does it necessarily have to be for higher than pick 13? Would it be the end of the world if it's pick 20-22 and then a 2nd round pick next year?

I personally would prefer pick 20 and 73 from the jags, than I would’ve preferred pick 13 overall (Buckner)—even though the value chart has pick 13 as the better deal.

SBLIVchamps
04-23-2020, 10:20 AM
They tagged him to trade him though......they're literally tanking on purpose.

Could very well be the case, but they didn’t want to dump Ngakoue—he is forcing their hand. If they trade him they will have 3 firsts this year and 2 next year (one of which is Trevor Lawrence in all likelihood). Chris Jones is a sure thing and they will have more than enough money to pay him while all these draft picks are on rookie deals.

So the reverse argument could be made that they are a perfect fit for a trade partner

rtmike
04-23-2020, 11:56 AM
I was thinking Miami?

DaneMcCloud
04-23-2020, 11:59 AM
Not Gil Brandt again...

Exactly. I don't know why people even bother listening to that old geezer, let alone, post his draft thoughts.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
04-23-2020, 12:01 PM
We riot if Chiefs trade Jones

Pitt Gorilla
04-23-2020, 12:11 PM
If he gets traded, it happens today. I think the chances of Jones being moved go down significantly after tonight.I tend to agree. Either 1) we got scooped by the the Colts or 2) we're more interested in keeping him.

Either way, the move happens today or tomorrow at the latest. The compensation will never be greater.

Why Not?
04-23-2020, 12:25 PM

Forget top 12. If it’s a Jones vs Buckner thing, Jones is worth a top 10 pick. Forget the stats(of which I’m thinking still favor CJ), they both played in the same Super Bowl. A case could’ve been made for Jones as MVP(wouldn’t have happened, but there’s a case anyhow). Buckner will forever be the guy who almost got to Mahomes on the Wasp play.

If Buckner got #13, CJ is worth top 10. Which means, CJ isn’t going anywhere for at least a season and probably more.

BossChief
04-23-2020, 12:44 PM

Not until we find out the compensation.

MahiMike
04-23-2020, 01:19 PM
I hope the fax machine is broke.

Dunerdr
04-23-2020, 01:21 PM

Maybe you do.

wazu
04-23-2020, 01:29 PM

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-t9Was4vQ1j4/Wk-l2TSxTjI/AAAAAAAAPeo/e_9BeldOYoI2TLwwpZwv1GoYK73dHvtxQCLcBGAs/s320/Streaking2.JPG

BryanBusby
04-23-2020, 01:31 PM
Come on guys.

The Chiefs didn't bend over backwards to retain nearly every starter just to trade off Chris Jones. He's here for 2020 at least.

staylor26
04-23-2020, 01:33 PM
Exactly. I don't know why people even bother listening to that old geezer, let alone, post his draft thoughts.

He clearly took the biggest name on the tag that hasn’t had much trade buzz and called him a “sleeper” to get traded.

ThaVirus
04-23-2020, 01:47 PM
Come on guys.

The Chiefs didn't bend over backwards to retain nearly every starter just to trade off Chris Jones. He's here for 2020 at least.

This is what I'm thinking.

Plus, I'm not sure I want to live in a world where we're restructuring contracts to keep guys like LDT, Watkins and Hitchens while letting a stud like Chris Jones get away. Jones was crazy instrumental in those key defensive drives to win the AFCCG and SB.

I like having two dogs on the DL as well.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
04-23-2020, 01:50 PM
Veach even said so himself that Jones will be here this season and he expects him to be here for years to come. Why is it so hard for people to understand that?

smithandrew051
04-23-2020, 01:55 PM
Veach even said so himself that Jones will be here this season and he expects him to be here for years to come. Why is it so hard for people to understand that?

I believe he will, but I don’t believe it because that’s what Veach said. If Veach is willing to move him, then he shouldn’t say publicly that he’s trying to. Teams should believe that it’ll take a big time offer for us to trade him. Burt understands leverage and knows what he’s doing.

Pitt Gorilla
04-23-2020, 02:17 PM
I believe he will, but I don’t believe it because that’s what Veach said. If Veach is willing to move him, then he shouldn’t say publicly that he’s trying to. Teams should believe that it’ll take a big time offer for us to trade him. Burt understands leverage and knows what he’s doing.

This. Veach understands the game.

Buckweath
04-23-2020, 02:25 PM
Every player has a price. I'm sure the plan is clearly to keep Jones and that Veach has not let other teams know that he is available but if a team comes with a great offer, there is a chance. All in all, it's unlikely that he gets traded.

JakeF
04-23-2020, 02:31 PM
Trade Chris Jones and Eric Fisher to Washington for the 2nd pick of the draft and Trent Williams.

Chiefs get Chase Young and Trent Williams

Washington gets Chris Jones and Eric Fisher

Jerm
04-23-2020, 02:32 PM
Trade Chris Jones and Eric Fisher to Washington for the 2nd pick of the draft and Trent Williams.

Chiefs get Chase Young and Trent Williams

Washington gets Chris Jones and Eric Fisher

I'm sure Washington would be all over that....:facepalm:

JakeF
04-23-2020, 02:44 PM
I'm sure Washington would be all over that....:facepalm:
Why wouldn't they?

Trent Williams is a holdout, Washington doesn't want to pay him.

2nd round pick Chase Young might be great, might not be.

Chris Jones is a proven Pro Bowl DT, who is unusual because he can get sacks in the interior.

Eric Fisher is a solid starter who has already been paid. No drama.

saphojunkie
04-23-2020, 02:49 PM

Buckner has nothing to do with Jones except a suitor is off the board.

If you have to sell your car, it may kill you to sell it for less than your neighbor got for his lesser model, but each trade happens in a vacuum. Just because one team is stupid doesn't mean they all have to be.

Chief Roundup
04-23-2020, 02:50 PM
Buckner has nothing to do with Jones except a suitor is off the board.

If you have to sell your car, it may kill you to sell it for less than your neighbor got for his lesser model, but each trade happens in a vacuum. Just because one team is stupid doesn't mean they all have to be.That is not how it actually works in the NFL.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

FAX
04-23-2020, 02:55 PM
If I were Veach, I would take nothing less than a 1st for Jones. I'd also ask for a mid-rounder as the cherry on top. You don't sell a rare diamond at a discount.

This is probably unrealistic, but the Chiefs fan in me thinks that, if Jones is smart (and I believe he is), he'll tell his agent to work something out ... or he'll play on the tag.

I'd hate (I mean ... hate) to see him go.

FAX

58-4ever
04-23-2020, 03:05 PM
dumb. not a chance CJ gets moved tonight... IMO

JakeF
04-23-2020, 03:07 PM
Who would you rather have Chase Young or Chris Jones?

which duo would you rather have?

Chase Young(No rookie Contract)+Trent Williams(No contract)

or

Chris Jones(no contract) + Eric Fisher

Pants
04-23-2020, 03:07 PM
An utter disrupter and destroyer on the DL like Jones should be worth more than a 1st round pick.

SBLIVchamps
04-23-2020, 03:11 PM

or

Trade Jones and 32 for Young. They probably wouldn’t take it—but worth a call

Gravedigger
04-23-2020, 03:16 PM
An utter disrupter and destroyer on the DL like Jones should be worth more than a 1st round pick.

If they would've gotten ahead of Deforest Buckner then I would agree, but now they're behind the 8 ball.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
04-23-2020, 03:18 PM

or

I’d rather have Jones over every defensive lineman not named Aaron Donald. People on CP love to underrate Jones. Dude is on his way to the HOF and people want to trade him for a unknown commodity

Shields68
04-23-2020, 03:19 PM
If they would've gotten ahead of Deforest Buckner then I would agree, but now they're behind the 8 ball.

That assumes they are looking to trade him. I don't think they are. Probably just waiting until the draft is over and a good idea where this years cap stands before getting serious about signing him long term.

chop
04-23-2020, 03:35 PM

Because most people are trying to figure out how the Chiefs are going to be able to pay him the money and give Mahomes a new contract. It's not that anyone wants to get rid of him but they see the issue the Chiefs have in keeping/paying everyone.

Mecca
04-23-2020, 03:45 PM
Because most people are trying to figure out how the Chiefs are going to be able to pay him the money and give Mahomes a new contract. It's not that anyone wants to get rid of him but they see the issue the Chiefs have in keeping/paying everyone.

The Chiefs have a ton of expiring contracts after this year....oh and the cap is going to go up substantially.

ThyKingdomCome15
04-23-2020, 03:53 PM
The Chiefs have a ton of expiring contracts after this year....oh and the cap is going to go up substantially.

Is it? :hmmm:

Shields68
04-23-2020, 03:54 PM

Not going to be easy but their banking on 1) the cap going up significantly after the CBA and new TV contracts including the 17th game. 2) Sammy is all but gone next year which frees up 17 million. 3) Jones already has 16 million cap hit so not going to be huge increase. 4) Tyrann and/or Fischer are gone after 2021.

TEX
04-23-2020, 04:01 PM

Exactly. Been wondering the same thing.

kccrow
04-23-2020, 04:04 PM
I'm of the opinion that if Jones were being traded that would have happened a couple of weeks ago. You never know, but I have doubts it would happen at this point. I think it would be more likely that if they can't reach a deal by Jul 15 then they'll trade him before training camp for picks next year but even that is pushing it.

Coogs
04-23-2020, 04:39 PM
Exactly. Been wondering the same thing.

Because he said exactly the same thing last year with Ford. Almost word for word. Plus, we pushed all in on defense with Matheau and Clark. That's where our money went. You can't have too many top dollar contracts on a roster. Just can't do it. There will be other guys coming up for extensions in the next few years. Got to look down the road too.

Supmarkus
04-23-2020, 04:53 PM
It’s just to get talk buzzing surely. Why trade a player of that calibre for a player who could be that good?

We don’t have a lot of holes so sit & take BPA or trade out. Unless Veach gets aggressive again!!

ThaVirus
04-23-2020, 05:02 PM
If I were Veach, I would take nothing less than a 1st for Jones. I'd also ask for a mid-rounder as the cherry on top. You don't sell a rare diamond at a discount.

This is probably unrealistic, but the Chiefs fan in me thinks that, if Jones is smart (and I believe he is), he'll tell his agent to work something out ... or he'll play on the tag.

I'd hate (I mean ... hate) to see him go.

FAX

With how strapped we are against the cap, I don't see any way we could retain Jones on the tag. It's either a new deal that reduces his first year cap hit or he gets traded.

Trade Jones and 32 for Young. They probably wouldn’t take it—but worth a call

You said it. I don't think a GM in the league (not even BOB) would go for that compensation.

Buckner just went for the #12. Jones is a better player but even if he's worth as high as the #8, which is probably stretching it, the #32 included isn't going to bump you up to the worth of the #2.

Top 5 picks have ridiculous value.

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-23-2020, 05:15 PM
Veach isn't stupid. With the football world shut down and no OTA's etc.... the best bet is to retain as many players as possible that just won us the SB and that gives us a HUGE advantage.

And that is what he's doing. Jones isn't going anywhere.

Red Dawg
04-23-2020, 05:17 PM
Jones is good as gone.

smithandrew051
04-23-2020, 05:18 PM
Jones is good as gone.

I figured he would be traded, but that feels less and less likely. Why do you think he’s gone?

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
04-23-2020, 05:26 PM
Jones is good as gone.

Dumb

JakeF
04-23-2020, 05:29 PM
Jones is good as gone.
Unless we receive a really good trade, Jones will be here another year at least.

TwistedChief
04-23-2020, 05:43 PM
JakeF and Mahomo going to battle with RedDawg. Welcome to the CoronaVirus edition of Dinner for Schmucks.

JakeF
04-23-2020, 05:48 PM
JakeF and Mahomo going to battle with RedDawg. Welcome to the CoronaVirus edition of Dinner for Schmucks.You have already won the Dinner for Dicks. Nobody even compares.

Rausch
04-23-2020, 05:48 PM

Those were all pre-covid projections...

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-23-2020, 05:55 PM
Disappointed in Chris . he should cut the team some slack to help keep the band together. He can do a lot with 10 mill

Chief Northman
04-24-2020, 11:06 PM
I noticed something tonight after the Chiefs drafted Gay Jr.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Andy Reid on Willie Gay Jr.: &quot;We felt very comfortable taking him at that spot. He was the linebacker we wanted.&quot;<br><br>Reid said veterans such as Tyrann Mathieu, Frank Clark &amp; Anthony Hitchens will help Gay mature.</p>&mdash; Nate Taylor (@ByNateTaylor) <a href="https://twitter.com/ByNateTaylor/status/1253865310085697541?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 25, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Notice that Chris Jones was not mentioned as a leader or mentor for Gay Jr.

Jones and Gay are Mississippi State alumni, and during the combine when Gay ran the 40, Jones re-tweeted it and called him “a dawg”.

Tonight he gets drafted, and not a peep from Jones.
I find this odd as we usually hear some support or shout outs to former teammates or alumni brothers from the same college. I think Chris might be pouting about his status with Kansas City.
The lack of an endorsement from Veach over the phone with Gay was also telling - he told Gay Jr. that he was going to give him Tyrann Mathieu’s number so they could talk.

Hmmmm.....

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
04-24-2020, 11:09 PM
I noticed something tonight after the Chiefs drafted Gay Jr.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Andy Reid on Willie Gay Jr.: &quot;We felt very comfortable taking him at that spot. He was the linebacker we wanted.&quot;<br><br>Reid said veterans such as Tyrann Mathieu, Frank Clark &amp; Anthony Hitchens will help Gay mature.</p>&mdash; Nate Taylor (@ByNateTaylor) <a href="https://twitter.com/ByNateTaylor/status/1253865310085697541?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 25, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Notice that Chris Jones was not mentioned as a leader or mentor for Gay Jr.

Jones and Gay are Mississippi State alumni, and during the combine when Gay ran the 40, Jones re-tweeted it and called him “a dawg”.

Tonight he gets drafted, and not a peep from Jones.
I find this odd as we usually hear some support or shout outs to former teammates or alumni brothers from the same college. I think Chris might be pouting about his status with Kansas City.
The lack of an endorsement from Veach over the phone with Gay was also telling - he told Gay Jr. that he was going to give him Tyrann Mathieu’s number so they could talk.

Hmmmm.....

Jones doesn’t play the same position as Gay. With Hitch and Tyrann you have linebackers and Tyrann with coverage ability. Clark could be a lb as well

Chief Northman
04-24-2020, 11:11 PM
Jones doesn’t play the same position as Gay. With Hitch and Tyrann you have linebackers and Tyrann with coverage ability. Clark could be a lb as well

Jesus Christ I’m not a child.....

Bump
04-24-2020, 11:17 PM
Jesus Christ I’m not a child.....

"boo hoo, Jones didn't tweet and Veach didn't mention his name this one time, that must mean he's gone and I'm disappointed"

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
04-24-2020, 11:26 PM
"boo hoo, Jones didn't tweet and Veach didn't mention his name this one time, that must mean he's gone and I'm disappointed"

Hahahaha :clap:

Chief Northman
04-24-2020, 11:29 PM

He’s not gone at all. I want him back on this team long term.

I see these as hints that they are playing hardball with him though.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
04-24-2020, 11:30 PM
He’s not gone at all. I want him back on this team long term.

I see these as hints that they are playing hardball with him though.

They have until July 15th. Something will get worked out