PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs The Honey Badger is the ultimate leader

staylor26
04-29-2020, 10:15 PM
Dude is mentoring young guys on the opposite side of the fucking ball. Who does that? Nobody does that.

https://i.imgur.com/qiKHvSF.jpg

Veach said that immediately after we picked Willie Gay, Tyrann texted him and asked for his #.

This guy is somehow a better leader than Mahomes. He’s worth every fucking penny.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
04-29-2020, 10:20 PM
He better be a Chief for life. Yea there buddies. I think they connected over Chiefs breakfast tbh. This was around the time he carried that boom box into the stadium.

Hoover
04-29-2020, 10:22 PM
He makes Berry look like a fool.

I mean these guys just won a super bowl and it seems like this team is more focused and working incredible hard to repeat. It's unreal.

OKchiefs
04-29-2020, 10:39 PM

I mean these guys just won a super bowl and it seems like this team is more focused and working incredible hard to repeat. It's unreal.

Love having him after dealing with Berry. Glad Berry is healthy and doing well, but I'm also sure as hell glad he's gone.

The Franchise
04-29-2020, 10:56 PM
Mathieu and Hardman were good friends last season too.

threebag
04-29-2020, 11:09 PM
Keep Choppin’ Dawg... Championship Swagger Dawg

UChieffyBugger
04-29-2020, 11:12 PM

What the hell has Berry got to do with this? Smh get over it ffs the guy didn't kill anyone :rolleyes:

FAX
04-29-2020, 11:19 PM
What the hell has Berry got to do with this? Smh get over it ffs the guy didn't kill anyone :rolleyes:

He gets the flog, dawg!

FAX

Simply Red
04-29-2020, 11:20 PM
Dude is mentoring young guys on the opposite side of the ****ing ball. Who does that? Nobody does that.

https://i.imgur.com/qiKHvSF.jpg

Veach said that immediately after we picked Willie Gay, Tyrann texted him and asked for his #.

This guy is somehow a better leader than Mahomes. He’s worth every ****ing penny.

He's a trooper, ace! I'm pleased with this hire.

ChiefsFanatic
04-29-2020, 11:21 PM
Keep Choppin’ Dawg... Championship Swagger DawgIt's the HB Drinking Game: Landlord Edition.

When watching mic'd up, or Turning Point, or any other sideline video with the HB, take a shot every time he says Dawg. You are guaranteed to be intoxicated after the first 5 minute clip.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

staylor26
04-29-2020, 11:36 PM
Mathieu and Hardman were good friends last season too.

Yea I noticed he kind of took him under his wing.

Simply Red
04-29-2020, 11:48 PM
It's the HB Drinking Game: Landlord Edition.

When watching mic'd up, or Turning Point, or any other sideline video with the HB, take a shot every time he says Dawg. You are guaranteed to be intoxicated after the first 5 minute clip.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

I will say - I liked Berry in this pre-game

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OVunFbZ7POc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

dlphg9
04-30-2020, 12:03 AM
I fucking love Mathieu. I remember people bitching and moaning last year when we signed him cuz we missed out on Landon Collins or some other safety. EB used to be one of the best safeties in the league and I didn't think any safety would impress me as much as Eric, but God damn Mathieu was literally one of the best players on the defensive side of the ball and was deserving of DPOY.

It's awesome to hear the rookies talk about how excited they are to be playing with him. He is literally my favorite free agent acquisition ever.

Mahomes_Is_God
04-30-2020, 12:09 AM
I'm sure he's all over Breeland's ass right now. Whip that fool into shape Hunneh Badge! Tell him what's up!

tyecopeland
04-30-2020, 05:30 AM
Just don't let them play madden! Or basketball in the locker rooms when they open back up

Couch-Potato
04-30-2020, 06:05 AM
honey badger tenacious

Mosbonian
04-30-2020, 06:19 AM
Sorry....I love HB and his tenacity which is something that has been sorely lacking for some time.

But to say he is a better leader than Mahomes is a bit much. I love them both...and HB should be around here kicking every teammate in the butt.

But if it is a tie game or we need a TD to win...I will take #15 all day long.

candyman
04-30-2020, 06:32 AM
But if it is a tie game or we need a TD to win...I will take #15 all day long.

Yeah I'd take the QB over a safety to win the game too

OrtonsPiercedTaint
04-30-2020, 06:32 AM
After his retirement, should be an interesting time for him

RealSNR
04-30-2020, 07:03 AM

Nah, we're just paying his ass $8 million in dead money because Berry went all "players rights!!!!!" on this team at a bad time. Some of it's bad luck, and some of it is just being an asshole.

In any case, it's also true Berry never did shit like what Honey Badger is doing.

redfan
04-30-2020, 07:17 AM
"Never underestimate the heart of a champion."

Does TM bring more to the table on or off the field?

CoMoChief
04-30-2020, 07:41 AM
Dude really turned up his game to AP level 2nd half of season.

Was "Meh" about his signing originally...thought he was overpaid...such is life w/ FA signings I guess. He's been worth every penny and has made me completely forget that Eric Berry was ever part of this team.

EB, Houston, Ford...all represent failure....failure that was the 2018 AFCCG. Houston never showed up, EB couldn't cover your grandmother, and Ford cost the Chiefs the game. If not for those 3, we could be seeing the Chiefs as b2b champs looking to 3-peat. I have full confidence they would have beaten LAR in the SB.

Look where the Chiefs are now once that all of that dead weight has been removed.

bowener
04-30-2020, 07:44 AM
Man, I'd love to have seen prime Berry play with Spags as his DC. Berry in his prime could have played at nearly any defensive position other than DL. He gave his all on some shit and mediocre Chiefs teams. It sucks that he had to go through all that shit in his life, play on some lousy teams, then miss the ship by one season. I know a lot of y'all soured on him at the end, but I think like Andrew Luck, he just couldn't put himself through another round of rehab.

With that said, I love The Landlord. His brand of fiery competitiveness is something that I've wanted on the Chiefs defense for at least a decade, maybe two. It seems we always get quiet reserved leaders that can't get their teammates fired up in the most important moments of the game. Between TM and Clark, I think they could convince me I can run through a brick wall.

KChiefs1
04-30-2020, 08:47 AM
honey badger tenacious

Championship Swagger

DJ's left nut
04-30-2020, 08:52 AM
I kinda feel like Mathieu is a perfect personality for when you're winning.

Or maybe it's just this version of him that is. I've read/heard some things about how much more vocal he's become over where he was even a year ago (let alone when he was in AZ).

I kinda feel like I'd love HB turned up to 11 when we're winning games and even if we're down in a game, he's there to fire us up. But man, if I'm sitting in the middle of a season that's looking awfully lot like 6-10 waiting to happen and I he's running around screaming "DAWG!" and banging his chest every third word, I'm just gonna need him to shut the fuck up.

But yeah - we're winning so it's all good. Perfect place, perfect time.

O.city
04-30-2020, 08:58 AM
I kinda feel like Mathieu is a perfect personality for when you're winning.

Or maybe it's just this version of him that is. I've read/heard some things about how much more vocal he's become over where he was even a year ago (let alone when he was in AZ).

I kinda feel like I'd love HB turned up to 11 when we're winning games and even if we're down in a game, he's there to fire us up. But man, if I'm sitting in the middle of a season that's looking awfully lot like 6-10 waiting to happen and I he's running around screaming "DAWG!" and banging his chest every third word, I'm just gonna need him to shut the **** up.

But yeah - we're winning so it's all good. Perfect place, perfect time.

Kinda feel the same about all the rah rah guys though no? I mean, if we're sitting at 3-7 and Ray Lewis is running around, I'm probably tuning that guy out.

Although a lot of the edge they bring is because of their reputation they've built. When a guy like that comes at you, you listen. When some dipshit is running around yelling, eh.

ChiefBlueCFC
04-30-2020, 09:02 AM
Don't get why some of y'all slander EB so much on here. Just don't get it at all

DJ's left nut
04-30-2020, 09:42 AM
Kinda feel the same about all the rah rah guys though no? I mean, if we're sitting at 3-7 and Ray Lewis is running around, I'm probably tuning that guy out.

Although a lot of the edge they bring is because of their reputation they've built. When a guy like that comes at you, you listen. When some dipshit is running around yelling, eh.

Yeah - absolutely.

The Chiefs just haven't had a rah rah sort of guys since...shit - ever? Maybe someone like Hasty? But for the most part the Chiefs leadership has always been pretty understated. Even peak DJ wasn't running around barking like EB.

DTVietnam
04-30-2020, 09:47 AM
still my favorite Chiefs video ever ...HB and FC really shifted the mentality of this team. .

watch at the 2:40 mark when FC says lets start bullying them...From that point on they started hitting them. . getting in their heads and forcd the 49ers to played timid

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mdwG2PbJVz0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DaFace
04-30-2020, 09:48 AM
Don't get why some of y'all slander EB so much on here. Just don't get it at all

He held out for a record-setting contract, then proceeded to be sick or hurt for nearly all of the contract's duration. While it's not his fault necessarily, his insistence on the huge contract has directly held the team back for years. You can say it didn't matter, but we were in the playoffs every year during that run, and $15m to go toward a couple guys to bolster the defense could have gotten us over the top. Or at least closer to it.

Again, I know it's not his fault, but it's easy to understand why people would be bitter.

Fun fact in case people aren't aware. Eric Berry is costing us $8m in cap money in 2020.

DJ's left nut
04-30-2020, 09:56 AM
For me it's entirely because he negotiated in public after the team moved heaven and earth to accommodate him during his cancer treatments. They continued paying him when they didn't have to.

They made him the highest paid safety in football year after year after year and yet he still made things personal.

The Chiefs were being smart and sensible about how they were going to handle him so he (through his representation) went public and unfairly leveraged public opinion against the Chiefs. In the end he did some pretty Machiavellian shit to get the contract he wanted and then proceeded to never approach living up to it.

I loved EB until that last contract and expressed my frustrating with how he was handling it even before he got injured. His willingness to do the organization dirty after they had treated him so well throughout his career soured me on him greatly.

I get it - you get yours, Eric. He's free to do what he has to do to get every dime he possibly can (despite making something like $100 million in his career to that point). Just as I'm free to think less of him for that kind of approach.

Chiefspants
04-30-2020, 09:56 AM
He held out for a record-setting contract, then proceeded to be sick or hurt for nearly all of the contract's duration. While it's not his fault necessarily, his insistence on the huge contract has directly held the team back for years. You can say it didn't matter, but we were in the playoffs every year during that run, and $15m to go toward a couple guys to bolster the defense could have gotten us over the top. Or at least closer to it.

Again, I know it's not his fault, but it's easy to understand why people would be bitter.

Fun fact in case people aren't aware. Eric Berry is costing us $8m in cap money in 2020.

His agent leaking the Chiefs request for an insurance policy to the media during active negotiations was a hard moment to come back from for me. Especially since Eric still said he was upset about the negotiations after signing his 78 million dollar deal and used that as his reasoning for not showing up to voluntary workouts. Of course, those workouts are voluntary, but it feels like part of what you're asking from a player in a contract like that is to be a leader on the field and in the locker room (like the Honey Badger) and Berry just not showing up set a bad tone for the defense that carried through the next 2 seasons.

That moment kind of symbolized what was to come for me. Turns out, the insurance policy was a more than reasonable request, EB.

DaFace
04-30-2020, 10:03 AM
Yeah, that stuff makes it even worse. I guess what it really comes down to is that, in the end, EB came off as being far more interested in a huge payday than he was in building a championship team. True or not, that's how it feels.

ChiefBlueCFC
04-30-2020, 10:22 AM

I get the issue with the dead money, honestly as I was unaware about the cap hit this season, and I think that says more about Dorsey and his inability to manage the cap and get deals done in an appropriate amount of time. I know those conversations are not easy but not getting the deals done until he did.

I also don't get why people would be as upset about someone trying to maximize their value while they can, when they'd do the same thing if they were in that kind of position.

Really, what I think it boils down for me, is it feels like a lot of folks forget how good he really was before the injuries in 2017 and 2018. If I remember correctly, he was one of the few safeties in the NFL that could actually handle Gronk and he shut him down the game he tore his Achilles.

Rain Man
04-30-2020, 10:23 AM
I'm going to go against the grain for a moment here.

First, before I get stoned to death in the public square, I'm a fan of Tyrann. I am aware that we won the Super Bowl last year. The guy's been great on defense, and I'll give him props if he was doing stuff behind the scenes to motivate people.

The thing I don't like about his post is that Hardman was doing the right thing and being lauded for it. If you're a leader and you contributed to that, then you step back and nod in satisfaction knowing that you helped facilitate it. You don't post a statement that basically takes credit for Hardman's good behavior by implying that he wouldn't have done it if not for you. It comes off as trying to grab attention away from a teammate.

Having said that, I'll now attempt to get myself back in everyone's good graces and seek forgiveness by noting that Deshaun Watson said that his two favorite teammates have been Tyrann and Deandre Hopkins: https://thespun.com/more/top-stories/deshaun-watson-2-favorite-nfl-teammates-of-all-time

ChiefBlueCFC
04-30-2020, 10:25 AM
Yeah, that stuff makes it even worse. I guess what it really comes down to is that, in the end, EB came off as being far more interested in a huge payday than he was in building a championship team. True or not, that's how it feels.

I was also unaware of some of this stuff as well. I didn't always follow all the intricacies of everything since I didn't have cable/internet etc a few years ago.

Chiefspants
04-30-2020, 10:38 AM
The thing I don't like about his post is that Hardman was doing the right thing and being lauded for it. If you're a leader and you contributed to that, then you step back and nod in satisfaction knowing that you helped facilitate it. You don't post a statement that basically takes credit for Hardman's good behavior by implying that he wouldn't have done it if not for you. It comes off as trying to grab attention away from a teammate.

I get that take. I wasn't sure what to make of Tyrann when our defense was getting shredded earlier in the year. He was calling out the team performance constantly on Twitter, which looked like he was throwing everyone else under the bus. But hey, locker room leaders certainly have different approaches. Whatever Tyrann's methods are, they seem to work wonders in that locker room. Hearing how Patrick would seek him out specifically before the defense took the field and saying "lead" is the type of leadership we've always wanted on both sides of the ball (and what we were badly missing on defense last year). Tyrann on twitter has also been very self depreciating when it comes to his dropped INT's and often makes comments like that on Keysor's stuff. Watching Tyrann's style reminds me of watching James Shields grab rookie pitchers by the collar in the Royals dugout in 2014. I don't know why it works, but all I can say is whatever Tyrann is doing, it's working. The amount of young players who look up to him and our rookies who all talk about their excitement to work with him can't be understated.

Tyrann being in this role also takes pressure off of Patrick too. If the KC radio was right that Marcus Peters developed a weird, toxic rivalry with Patrick in training camp (especially after Tamba Hali in 2017 said Patrick could look off defensive backs unlike any QB he'd ever seen and constantly roasted Peters for cheating by following Patrick's eyes), having someone like Tyrann to eliminate toxic inter-team stuff from developing on the defensive side is huge (Berry used to mentor Peters away from these tendencies as well - another potential impact of his absence).

I was also unaware of some of this stuff as well. I didn't always follow all the intricacies of everything since I didn't have cable/internet etc a few years ago.

It sucks. Berry was my favorite player from 2010-2016. For one reason or another, it just never felt like that player never fully returned after signing that deal.

ChiefBlueCFC
04-30-2020, 10:48 AM
It sucks. Berry was my favorite player from 2010-2016. For one reason or another, it just never felt like that player never fully returned after signing that deal.

Honestly, if I had been following the team every day, following every story and everything that came out then, I might feel differently than I do. But since I didn't, I don't share the same feelings, but I do understand that feeling.

Pants
04-30-2020, 10:53 AM

First, before I get stoned to death in the public square, I'm a fan of Tyrann. I am aware that we won the Super Bowl last year. The guy's been great on defense, and I'll give him props if he was doing stuff behind the scenes to motivate people.

Having said that, I'll now attempt to get myself back in everyone's good graces and seek forgiveness by noting that Deshaun Watson said that his two favorite teammates have been Tyrann and Deandre Hopkins: https://thespun.com/more/top-stories/deshaun-watson-2-favorite-nfl-teammates-of-all-time

This is exactly how I felt. That tweet actually made me cringe.

Otter
04-30-2020, 10:58 AM
Otter loves the honey badger!

DaFace
04-30-2020, 11:00 AM

Eh, I think the thing you might not fully have a feel for is that he's CONSTANTLY posting on Twitter - like, 20-30 times per day or more sometimes. Pulling out this one comment is like focusing on one post on ChiefsPlanet. There's a big difference between that and jumping in on a press conference to talk about himself.

Chiefspants
04-30-2020, 11:12 AM
Eh, I think the thing you might not fully have a feel for is that he's CONSTANTLY posting on Twitter - like, 20-30 times per day or more sometimes. Pulling out this one comment is like focusing on one post on ChiefsPlanet. There's a big difference between that and jumping in on a press conference to talk about himself.

Exactly this. I think the thing with him and Clark that the other players respect so much is that they walk the walk and also hold themselves to the same standard. While people have been roasting DJLN for his Frank Clark takes, Frank Clark was also roasting Frank Clark’s early season performances and when Chiefs fans would be like “but you did a good job setting the edge today” Clark would bluntly say “I’m paid to sack the quarterback and I’m not doing that.” I think there’s a big difference between players who demand high standards from others but not themselves and players who hold themselves to the their own standard - which Tyrann and Clark seem to do.

Otter
04-30-2020, 11:16 AM

Alright gentlemen, we're going to need a 1:1 ratio of pitchforks to torches. We'll meet in Denver and be on the lookout for a household with a apricot color BMW and no bike.

threebag
04-30-2020, 12:16 PM

We do it more in spirit.

FAX
04-30-2020, 12:24 PM
Am I the only person in the entire world who begins to cringe after the 40th time he says, "Dawg" during his pre-game speech-a-rama?

And while we're on that subject, why does the term, "Dawg" cause grown men to play better and fight harder? I could understand it if somebody accused them of being "Pussaws" ... but "Dawgs"?

FAX

seclark
04-30-2020, 12:47 PM
Am I the only person in the entire world who begins to cringe after the 40th time he says, "Dawg" during his pre-game speech-a-rama?

And while we're on that subject, why does the term, "Dawg" cause grown men to play better and fight harder? I could understand it if somebody accused them of being "Pussaws" ... but "Dawgs"?

FAX

i thought he was talking to "doug"...
sec

RealSNR
04-30-2020, 01:10 PM

Fair or not, injury-related or not, when he (as Gay's Left Nut pointed out) publicly scoffed at the Chiefs fair offer of top safety money plus an insurance policy that protects their asses, he made his reputation vulnerable. If the injury never occurs and he plays even at a reasonable level (maybe not All-Pro, but Pro Bowl) then nobody gives a shit, and we still probably win the Super Bowl with him as the replacement for Honey Badger.

And unfortunately, that's the first thing I remember about his time here with the franchise, because it was so long and arduous of a journey-- a back-and-forth with cryptic messages about his heel that lasted for 2 full seasons.

I look back on all the Chiefs who have played for the team who never got to experience this Super Bowl, and I think about how nice it would have been if those guys could have also tasted this glory. I think about the usual names-- DT, DJ, Shields, Waters, Hali, Priest, Jamaal... hell, even a guy like Kennison who just really loved playing for this team. And Berry... well, to be honest, I don't really think about him in that category in spite of all the on-the-field contributions he made.

It's sad. But that's just kind of how it is.

ThaVirus
04-30-2020, 01:55 PM
Berry was a great leader on the field in his time here and he was more talented than Mathieu as well.

I haven't soured on Berry or Houston, honestly. Eric was clearly stealing money by the time his final season on the team rolled around, but I thought Houston would have had a place on that Super Bowl winning roster. Unfortunately for them, their physical primes just didn't match up with our run. It is what it is.

Chiefspants
04-30-2020, 02:03 PM
Berry was a great leader on the field in his time here and he was more talented than Mathieu as well.

I haven't soured on Berry or Houston, honestly. Eric was clearly stealing money by the time his final season on the team rolled around, but I thought Houston would have had a place on that Super Bowl winning roster. Unfortunately for them, their physical primes just didn't match up with our run. It is what it is.

Houston absolutely still had a place on our roster and I was bummed to see him go. He always performed when he was on the field. It didn't seem like there was a financial way to make that happen, though.

ThaVirus
04-30-2020, 02:25 PM
Houston absolutely still had a place on our roster and I was bummed to see him go. He always performed when he was on the field. It didn't seem like there was a financial way to make that happen, though.

Yeah, I don't think he was willing to take a pay cut so logistically speaking he pretty much had to go.. really good player, though.

Rain Man
04-30-2020, 02:30 PM

FAX

I assume that he'll switch things up next season to keep it fresh. He's probably experimenting with different animals now.

"That's championship swagger, aardvark."

"Keep it real, ocelots."

"Come on, field mice. Close it out."

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
04-30-2020, 04:38 PM
I'm surprised at you, Rain Man, unless you think he's holding this one for SuperBowl LV:

"You gotta come out that tunnel like rabid ermines, you feel me?"

:thumb:

I assume that he'll switch things up next season to keep it fresh. He's probably experimenting with different animals now.

"That's championship swagger, aardvark."

"Keep it real, ocelots."

"Come on, field mice. Close it out."

FAX
04-30-2020, 04:54 PM
"Octopi Swagger Spiney Dawgfishes!"

Hopefully, this will actually catch on with the NFL Network.

I want to hear Jane Slater say it in a husky, breathy sex voice.

FAX

stumppy
04-30-2020, 04:57 PM
I'm surprised at you, Rain Man, unless you think he's holding this one for SuperBowl LV:

"You gotta come out that tunnel like rabid ermines, you feel me?"

:thumb:

Or "Come out that tunnel like rabbit eating rabid ermines, you feel me?"

Chris Meck
04-30-2020, 09:50 PM
Houston was not a max effort player. Talented? yeah. You bet.

Berry? Well, those last two seasons were bullshit. I loved the kid before that. Not now. I figure for all we paid him, we don't owe him a damned thing.

Ford? Numbnuts. Fuck him too.

The culture had to change, and it did.

threebag
05-01-2020, 12:02 AM
Championship Swagger Dawg

dlphg9
05-01-2020, 12:27 AM
God I remember being at work at Dollar General in April of 2010 and I wanted Eric Berry so God Damn bad. It came to our pick and they announced his name and I let out a shout(store was empty).

Thats either the 2nd or 3rd happiest I've ever been for a draft pick. My order for top 3 favorite 1st round draft picks:

1. Patrick Mahomes II - Fucking duh. I was listening to the radio and I heard them say that the Chiefs were now on the clock and I knew it was for a QB. Im not a huge college football fan, but had seen an article on here about Mahomes and the Chiefs liking him, but I knew Watson was still on the board and he was a name I was familiar with. I was gonna be ecstatic for either one of their names to be called.

2/3 - Derrick Johnson/Eric Berry
Eric Berry/Derrick Johnson - I loved Derrick Johnson. I remember being in high school talking to friends and no one thought he would last to our pick and he did, but even though he was there it was no guarantee they'd pick him. It happens all the time where a guy you really like is on the board and at a position of need and we pick someone else.

My least favorite draft pick of all time at the time it happened - Dontari Poe - I was completely wrong about him. I knew that we were going to pick him and I remember telling my brother in law when we were up that if we picked Poe I was going to throw the remote through the TV (I didn't). I hated that pick.