PDA

View Full Version : Life My dog has a brain tumor

Naptown Chief
05-09-2020, 06:56 PM
TLDR- Isabella, my beloved 10 y/o presa canario (Spanish mastiff) has a brain tumor. I'm not handling this well... At all.

Isabella has had a rough 12 months. She has torn both cruciates (similar to human ACL), tore one of her meniscus, herniated a disc in her neck which periodically pinches a nerve, and now has a brain tumor. Surgery was not an option for either cruciate due to her hips. She was born with hip dysplasia but that has been managed by periodic steroid injections, a diet specifically for large breeds, supplements high in glucosamine and chondroitin, and being (as careful as one can be) careful about where/how she was exercised. Fortunately they're not the most active breed, or at least none of mine have been.

I adopted her from a local shelter because a backyard breeder had dumped her there due to her hips. She was approximately 4 months old and was (almost) immediately taken in by my male presa, Santo, at the time. Despite her hips she's had a wonderful life, or at least as good as I could have provided her. She was in doggy daycare until my father passed and I moved back from VA to MD.

Can this please, PLEASE not be a thread about dog breeds or someone's disdain/fear of certain ones. I was a vet tech for 7 years when I was young and was well aware of what I was getting into when I got my first presa. My guys have been phenomenal dogs with stable and very loving temperaments, even with strangers. My pups, especially Isa, have been wonderful with my family, friends, neighbors, nieces and now my nieces' babies.

This wasn't a thought out thread and might be all over the place, for that I apologise, but I guess I'm just writing as my (clouded) thoughts come to me.

God damnit I love this dog.

Naptown Chief
05-09-2020, 07:02 PM
She had a grand mal seizure on Tuesday so I took her the ER. They stabilized her and kept her a few hours. Not two blocks away on our way home she seized again. We left her there for the night and, apparently, had two more seizures (4 in ~12 hours total). They put her on phenobarbital, Prednisone (which she'd just tapered off of for her neck), and now keppra. She's been seizure free for almost 96 hours but has been incredibly sedated. We have to use a towel under her as she walks to keep her stable.

After speaking with her vet today we decided to stop the phenobarb but continue with keppra and pred.

JohnnyHammersticks
05-09-2020, 07:02 PM
I wish I could do something more than say I'm so sorry brother.

Losing them is the only bad thing about them.

Jewish Rabbi
05-09-2020, 07:03 PM
Sorry to hear that man. Dogs are the best.

Ubeja Vontell
05-09-2020, 07:05 PM
Here I sit in a bedroom on a stool, right down there at my feet lays my dog Maggie. Everywhere I go she follows, when in the big chair she jumps up and lays across my legs. And everyday she'll bring one of her tossing toys to throw at my feet in a.....let's go it's play time. She leaves me no choice.

My wife is a big deal at her church there will be a prayer said for Isabellla.

eDave
05-09-2020, 07:08 PM
I wish I could do something more than say I'm so sorry brother.

Losing them is the only bad thing about them.

This right here. Spectacular post Hammer.

JohnnyHammersticks
05-09-2020, 07:11 PM
Threads like this hit me right in the tear ducts. Every single time...

Buehler445
05-09-2020, 07:12 PM
Sorry man.

I’m going to be a flaming hot mess when it’s time for my dog. He’s 10 and slowing down hard. Still goes to work with me every day. :(

BigRedChief
05-09-2020, 07:19 PM
Sorry to hear. Our dogs are family.

mlyonsd
05-09-2020, 07:20 PM
It sounds like she was a very lucky dog by having you pick her out. She couldn't have asked for a better family. I hope they get the meds right and has more happy days.

stumppy
05-09-2020, 07:30 PM
Sorry man. Hope the medication helps.

Demonpenz
05-09-2020, 07:41 PM
Dogs give you their all but as soon as they are suffering you got to nut up and let them go.

TwistedChief
05-09-2020, 07:57 PM
Ugh. I love you, buddy. You're one of my favorite people on here and I'm so sorry you're going through this.

You've undoubtedly given her an exceptional life. An amazing and colorful existence. That's the most comforting solace you're supposed to take from something like this. And I'm glad she got to lick the tears from your face when the Chiefs won the Super Bowl.

If this NFL season happens with fans, I've got a ticket with your name on it for the Ravens game. Hopefully see you then.

Sending much love...

MeaTy The Pimp
05-09-2020, 08:21 PM
Sorry to hear bro, I hate when the pups are suffering. Hope the medications help.

DaFace
05-09-2020, 08:22 PM
Sorry to hear, man. I hope you can cherish the limited time you have left. :(

dlphg9
05-09-2020, 08:39 PM
Fucking sucks man. Hopefully you can do something special for her. Dogs are literal family and don't get to live long enough.

My dog is 11 and she drives me nuts sometimes, but god damn I dont even like to think about losing her. She was the first thing I got when I got my new house. She was 3 months old when I got her from the shelter and would sleep with me on my air up mattress. My daughter is 7 and not too long ago she told her mother and I, "I don't wanna ever move out. I wanna get married to Lily (our dog) and we will all live here forever."

I remember when she was around 4 and we got her an older cat from the shelter. We had the cat for a few weeks and then she died. Explaining death to a 4 year old was hard. I cant imagine how she will be once Lily is gone.

Cosmos
05-09-2020, 08:52 PM
Sounds like your dog’s fortunate to have you.

Rain Man
05-09-2020, 09:12 PM
Sorry to hear. It sounds like it's been a great relationship.

People and dogs are good partners. It's been that way for a long time.

https://greennews.ie/wp3/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/caveman-and-dog1-painting.jpg

Dunit35
05-09-2020, 09:29 PM
Sorry to hear Naptown.

EPodolak
05-09-2020, 10:31 PM
Sad about the news, but happy you wanted her and gave her a bunch of great years she wouldn't have had. Best to you both.

Skyy God
05-09-2020, 10:57 PM
My pup is almost 14 and isn’t probably far behind. His hips are getting bad, but he’s still a good boy.

Skyy God
05-09-2020, 11:02 PM
Sorry to hear. It sounds like it's been a great relationship.

People and dogs are good partners. It's been that way for a long time.

https://greennews.ie/wp3/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/caveman-and-dog1-painting.jpg

People have always loved their dogs.

“According to a study published recently in the Journal of Archaeological Science, prehistoric people likely cared for a sick puppy for weeks before it died, suggesting an emotional attachment to the animal.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/api.nationalgeographic.com/distribution/public/amp/news/2018/02/ancient-pet-puppy-oberkassel-stone-age-dog

cdcox
05-09-2020, 11:36 PM
Sorry to hear. Clearly, you’ve given her a great life and she has contributed greatly to yours.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-09-2020, 11:48 PM
I am truly sorry that you and your pup have to endure this. It's okay to be devastated by this kind of news--she's part of your family and has been a loyal and loving companion.

One of our dogs dealt with epilepsy for the last four years of his life. It was very difficult to manage. Given that she has a brain tumor and the safety profile of Keppra, I don't think that you should concern yourself with a ceiling dose. Our guy was 100 lbs and got 2000mg twice daily, and you can safely go far above that from what I remember reading in Plumb's. You should ask the vet if she was given a loading dose of phenobarbital. It has a very long half life and can take a long time to build up to therapeutic levels in the blood. Stopping shortly after she started should lessen the possibility of rebound seizures due to not tapering her off the med, but it's a question worth asking.

If possible, try and plan one special day where you can really spoil her--treats, meals, activities, whatever she can enjoy and tolerate.

You have my best.

Frazod
05-10-2020, 12:00 AM
That sucks. Hang in there.

alanm
05-10-2020, 01:04 AM
Sorry to hear about your girl Nap. Dogs are one of our best treasures in life. My oldest fur baby is 18 maybe 19. Terrier mix we took in from one of my wife's coworkers who moved and couldn't take him with her. He was supposed to be 4 1/2 yrs old back in 05. He still has a lot of spunk and energy still. But has been losing his hearing and has a slight cataract in one eye. He has been one of the best dogs I've ever been around. But I also know he can't possibly have a lot of time left. I know I'm going to be a wreck when the time comes. I love my dogs more than most people I know.

rabblerouser
05-10-2020, 01:29 AM
Oh my, I am so sorry brother.

Naptown Chief
05-10-2020, 09:13 AM
Thank you all for your compassion and thoughtful words. I've been quite the asshole at times on here and certainly don't deserve it, but thank you nonetheless. I cried just reading the responses.

She is much more coherent today now that she's been off the phenobarb. Still requires some assistance getting up and is a bit wobbly, but she leaps and bounds better than the previous few days. I know I won't have years, or perhaps even months, but her last days will be surrounded by her family.

Best wishes and love to all of you.

Oxford
05-10-2020, 10:53 AM
This pains me deeply to hear.
It is so tough to be the adult in the room when this time rolls around. We lost a lab several years ago to a pituitary gland tumor. Our heart goes out to you man......

Kman34
05-10-2020, 12:27 PM
One of our beloved dogs was very sick with a tumor in her neck.. she was hanging on just for us.. Because we loved her we let her be put down.. I know what you’re going though.. Do what’s right for you.. You’re a good pet dad.. Prayer sent..