PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Casting reel recommendations

ILChief
05-13-2020, 04:28 PM
My old Quantum Accurist bit the dust. Looking for a replacement in the $60-80 range. Considering another Quantum, but an open to suggestions

RustShack
05-13-2020, 04:33 PM
Last reel I got was a bait caster, I was at Dicks I think and I paid $60 for it, which was $50 off the original price. I usually just look for deals like that. And check reviews online if I’m between a few.

Jewish Rabbi
05-13-2020, 04:40 PM
Don’t know much about casting reels, but if you need any casting couch recommendations I’m your guy.

chinaski
05-13-2020, 04:50 PM
For Baitcasters, I absolutey love my Shimano Calcutta’s. If they are over your budget, the Cardiff is decent.

Easy 6
05-13-2020, 04:56 PM
Wish I could help, but I’m one of those backwards ass Zebco duffers... eh it gets me by

ILChief
05-13-2020, 04:59 PM
For Baitcasters, I absolutey love my Shimano Calcutta’s. If they are over your budget, the Cardiff is decent.

I was looking at the Shimano Caius

chinaski
05-13-2020, 05:02 PM
I was looking at the Shimano Caius

Not familiar, but I googled it, looks ok if you are into Low Profile reels. Lew’s is another brand to look at, my pops has a few with no complaints.

FWIW, I like round reels in a 50 or 100 size, personal preference tho.

ILChief
05-13-2020, 05:05 PM
Not familiar, but I googled it, looks ok if you are into Low Profile reels. Lew’s is another brand to look at, my pops has a few with no complaints.

FWIW, I like round reels in a 50 or 100 size, personal preference tho.

Yeah I prefer a low profile one. Just what I’ve used

TribalElder
05-13-2020, 05:05 PM
random open face reel from your local sporting goods store

Hog's Gone Fishin
05-13-2020, 05:21 PM
I've just never been able to use a baitcaster. I have one baitcaster and as a matter of fact was trying today to cast without causing a backlash with no luck. I give up for the 20th time and yes I've watched all the youtube vids on how to set your reel up.

Just give me the Zebco 33 and I'm good. Why the hell do people use baitcasters any way???

On a side note I just ordered 500 European night crawlers and am starting my own worm farm.

Megatron96
05-13-2020, 05:42 PM
Shimano Caenan. Lew's Speed Spool.

The Shimano is better. But I know a ton of people that really like their Lew's.

Megatron96
05-13-2020, 05:45 PM
I've just never been able to use a baitcaster. I have one baitcaster and as a matter of fact was trying today to cast without causing a backlash with no luck. I give up for the 20th time and yes I've watched all the youtube vids on how to set your reel up.

Just give me the Zebco 33 and I'm good. Why the hell do people use baitcasters any way???

On a side note I just ordered 500 European night crawlers and am starting my own worm farm.

Baitcasters are like Toyota Tundras. Good ones are anyway. Put up with a ridiculous amount of abuse, haul 10 lb. fish out of logjams, or haul logs out of jams. performs day after day, rain or shine, no hiccups.

Long after the Zebco 33 bites the dust.

Though I have a couple zebs for the niece and nephew when they come over.

R Clark
05-13-2020, 05:46 PM

So time for a name change?worm gone fishing has a nice ring to it. Worm farmer

HonestChieffan
05-13-2020, 08:49 PM
Love my Shimano Curados, have 3

HonestChieffan
05-13-2020, 08:51 PM

Thinking of building a worm bed, any suggestions on whats the right way?

RustShack
05-13-2020, 08:57 PM

When I was learning I’d cast it short, pull it out a little more and put a piece of tape on the spool. Fished like that for a little bit so it wouldn’t birdsnest and got comfortable with it. Take the tape off and pull out a little more line and tape it off again and repeat. It didn’t take too long before I got comfortable without the tape.

I definitely restrung it a few times before learning that trick.

Kiimo
05-13-2020, 08:59 PM
It took me way to long to realize this thread was about fishing.

/los angeles

Hog's Gone Fishin
05-13-2020, 09:29 PM
Thinking of building a worm bed, any suggestions on whats the right way?

Well, I'm raising mine in an old deep freeze so they can't escape. Put my worm order in from "Uncle Jims worm farm". That's a worm dealer , not my Uncle. I ordered 500 European night crawlers. They need to breed fast because I like to fish, A LOT.

There's tons of Youtube videos on making beds to grow them.

HonestChieffan
05-13-2020, 10:07 PM
Well, I'm raising mine in an old deep freeze so they can't escape. Put my worm order in from "Uncle Jims worm farm". That's a worm dealer , not my Uncle. I ordered 500 European night crawlers. They need to breed fast because I like to fish, A LOT.

There's tons of Youtube videos on making beds to grow them.

I gotta do this. save some good money and fresh worms plus screw walmart

win all around

excessive
05-14-2020, 08:00 AM
"Well, I'm raising mine in an old deep freeze so they can't escape."

That certainly would work well. I keep a compost heap going. Don't have to worry about no worms escaping. A nice warm heap and they come find you.