PDA

View Full Version : Football Bundesliga Soccer returns this weekend! The NFL will be taking notes

Deberg_1990
05-14-2020, 10:11 AM
Interesting.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2020/05/13/Coronavirus-and-Sports/NFL-Bundesliga.aspx

The NFL “will be watching closely” when the Bundesliga returns to the pitch this weekend, as Germany’s top soccer league “will provide a potentially vital blueprint for how pro sports can return safely,” according to Bob Glauber of NEWSDAY. The Bundesliga will be the “first pro league in Europe or North America to resume play after the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic.” While there are some “important differences between the sports,” the league’s successful return “could be a boon to the NFL.” The start of the NFL season “still is a long way off, but if the return of soccer in Germany turns out to be a success, it will be one more step in the right direction” (NEWSDAY, 5/9). NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo noted the NFL has been in “communication and will be in communication with sports leagues around the globe.” Garafolo: “They're going to be watching (the Bundesliga) closely, and so will the NFL Players Association. Because as much as this is going to be a league decision, it's going to have to involve the players as well” (“NFL Total Access,” NFL Network, 5/12).

ALL EYES ON YOU: ESPN’s Taylor Twellman notes that there is “some real anxiety” around Bundesliga, as league officials “know all eyes around the world, not only in the soccer world but in the sports world in general,” are watching what happens when they resume play. Germany has “been very progressive and transparent with testing,” and that has given the Bundesliga the "option and the opportunity to restart.” Twellman: “The hardest thing about having the conversation (of returning to play) in the United States right now is the access to testing. No one knows that answer, and until you have that answer, I can't definitively look in this camera and say it's going to happen. I think it will because I think by the time they get there, testing is going to be readily available and the players have to take some risk” (“SportsCenter,” ESPN, 5/13).

Eleazar
05-14-2020, 10:39 AM
Well if the EPL is still puttering around I guess I can watch Bundesliga. It's a live sport.

Ubeja Vontell
05-14-2020, 10:54 AM
Been reading this kind of thing....

The data released so far shows 68% of the coronavirus deaths in the city have been of African Americans, when they make up around 30% of the population.

The NFL unlike soccer is about 70% African American, so......hmmm?

Von Miller!

I see the NFL trying it's best to make it work but by week five they find out it won't work because of the dozen players with the virus, all on different teams.

YES....not a big deal for an athlete, it's about who they come in contact with.

Monticore
05-14-2020, 11:05 AM
Well if the EPL is still puttering around I guess I can watch Bundesliga. It's a live sport.

Would be nice to see some games on TV , curious to see how Alphonso Davies is doing with the big boys. If people don't know about him look it up great story.

DrRyan
05-14-2020, 05:03 PM
Would be nice to see some games on TV , curious to see how Alphonso Davies is doing with the big boys. If people don't know about him look it up great story.

He was crushing before the lockdown. Not sure why that would change afterwards.

BWillie
05-14-2020, 05:08 PM
I don't know what Budneasliga is

Monticore
05-14-2020, 05:42 PM
He was crushing before the lockdown. Not sure why that would change afterwards.

I wasn’t able to follow him much since he started playing regularly but from what I read he has been doing well Out of his natural position.

But I haven’t watched any games

DrRyan
05-14-2020, 06:57 PM
I wasn’t able to follow him much since he started playing regularly but from what I read he has been doing well Out of his natural position.

But I haven’t watched any games

He's been solid at left back and really aggressive pushing forward. Bayern is one of the best teams in Europe since he's been getting starters minutes. Once they land Sane they will be a load for any team to handle.

Monticore
05-14-2020, 07:12 PM
He's been solid at left back and really aggressive pushing forward. Bayern is one of the best teams in Europe since he's been getting starters minutes. Once they land Sane they will be a load for any team to handle.

he is just a freak athlete , more physical than i expected for a guy so young .

I go to Munich every year for Oktoberfest, I would love to see a Bayern game live, I saw a game in Florence a while back it was awesome.

Deberg_1990
05-16-2020, 08:21 AM
Live sports are back baby!!

limested
05-16-2020, 10:44 AM
Was very weird without the crowd. Especially after a goal and it is dead quiet.

Deberg_1990
05-16-2020, 10:47 AM
Was very weird without the crowd. Especially after a goal and it is dead quiet.

Yes. Strange. Really takes a lot of the excitement out.

tk13
05-16-2020, 10:50 AM
I said this in the other thread, but I think football might have the biggest challenge. I guess you can eliminate huddles, but even then you're going to have the linemen all crouched face to face breathing each other's air 80 times a game. Perfect recipe to spread the thing if someone has it and doesn't know it. They are going to have to test every player right before every game.

KChiefs1
05-16-2020, 10:51 AM
It’s strange.

Piped in crowd noise might help.

New World Order
05-16-2020, 10:59 AM
It’s strange.

Feels like I’m watching a scrimmage

POND_OF_RED
05-16-2020, 07:17 PM
The lack of the crowd definitely took some of the excitement from it, but I was thankful to just wake up to live sports again. Hopefully it just keeps getting better from here.

Demonpenz
05-17-2020, 09:01 AM
If that is the way nfl games come off hoo boy. Might be more fishing done this football year.

Eleazar
05-17-2020, 11:51 AM
It’s strange.

I don't think they need fake crowd noise or fake crowds, they just need to somehow edit out that reverb that comes from the sounds of the game in an empty stadium. It's cool that you can hear the players talking, we just don't need to hear the echoes of it.

POND_OF_RED
05-26-2020, 10:31 AM
Bayern V. Dortmund kicking off now on FS1. Been looking forward to this one. Championship basically on the line here. Sucks to not have the yellow wall in attendance, but should be some high quality soccer if anyone’s interested in some sports.

POND_OF_RED
05-26-2020, 10:35 AM
They’re pumping crowd noise in now to block out the echoes. Feels like a real game again.

Monticore
05-26-2020, 10:53 AM
best place to stream it?

limested
05-26-2020, 11:05 AM
best place to stream it?

The fox sports app.

Monticore
05-26-2020, 11:05 AM
watching on phone weird without crowd still.

POND_OF_RED
05-26-2020, 11:16 AM
Great chip goal, but terrible goalkeeping.

Monticore
05-26-2020, 11:19 AM
Great chip goal, but terrible goalkeeping.

I was surprised when it went in.

POND_OF_RED
05-26-2020, 12:03 PM
Giovanni Reyna in the game now for any US Soccer fans. Always exciting to watch. Setup for a good free kick now.

Monticore
05-26-2020, 12:34 PM
Giovanni Reyna in the game now for any US Soccer fans. Always exciting to watch. Setup for a good free kick now.

I was watching mostly for Davies , he still seems to make mistakes but makes up for it in skill and speed , he looks like he belongs. Getting to that level after being born in a refugee camp is quite the story.