PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Should Breeland Speaks be Nicknamed "Burrito"?

Skyy God
05-14-2020, 01:58 PM
Shower thoughts this morning. I think it makes sense, for several reasons:

1) Mojo - Breeland hasn't served him super well his first two years in the league. He was played out of position in 2018, and his most notable moment was failing to fully sack TB12. A nickname might improve his results in 2020 and beyond.

2) Body Type - He's clearly an endomorph and kinda looks like a burrito already.

3) The Taco Factor - Line Taco up at LDE and Burrito at DT in passing downs. They can meet at the QB for a sandwich. Same might also apply to double teaming skanks on their days off.

Who's with me??

Pitt Gorilla
05-14-2020, 02:02 PM
In short, no.

However, I do think he's a player to watch this year. In this defense, he's going to have a chance to shine.

Deberg_1990
05-14-2020, 02:05 PM
He’s about to explode this year.

I see tremendous things for this young man.

RustShack
05-14-2020, 02:06 PM
I can’t wait until he breaks out this year.

staylor26
05-14-2020, 02:06 PM
As a big DE that can slide inside on passing downs, he’s not fat.

The only reason people think he’s fat is because he played out of position at OLB. You literally won’t see anything about his weight in any scouting report of him coming out.

KCUnited
05-14-2020, 02:18 PM
The Taco John's package when Thornhill is out there.

notorious
05-14-2020, 02:18 PM
Who?

Easy 6
05-14-2020, 02:28 PM
It’s not great but I’ll go with it :shrug:

Even though my feels were horribly hurt when I couldn’t get the board to adopt Sacksquatch for Chris Jones :mad:

UK_Chief
05-14-2020, 03:00 PM
Mitch Holtus approves

DJ's left nut
05-14-2020, 03:02 PM
I'm just gonna stick with 'sucks'.

If we have to pick a name, how about 'glue' because that dude sticks to blockers like nothing I've ever seen.

If anything changes, I'll reconsider. But Breeland Speaks sucks.

Sorce
05-14-2020, 03:12 PM
Why does this place want to fucking nickname everything and everyone? Failed draft pick wasn't enough? Let's nickname our new punter, let's nickname the practice squad. Hey guys I need a nickname for my ballsack. If you feel the urge to nickname something try self asphyxiation instead.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

BleedingRed
05-14-2020, 03:14 PM
Full of shit, but falls apart when you start to get to the good part?

eDave
05-14-2020, 03:15 PM
OP is stoned af.

Strongside
05-14-2020, 03:20 PM
I think he should be called "Do something."

Because he hasn't.

Easy 6
05-14-2020, 03:21 PM
Why does this place want to fucking nickname everything and everyone? Failed draft pick wasn't enough? Let's nickname our new punter, let's nickname the practice squad. Hey guys I need a nickname for my ballsack. If you feel the urge to nickname something try self asphyxiation instead.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I hereby nickname you “Angry Butthole”

Skyy God
05-14-2020, 03:25 PM
OP is stoned af.

Nah.

8:30 AM, solid 10 hours of sleep, stone cold sober thoughts.

RealSNR
05-14-2020, 03:28 PM
Yeah because he’s so full of beans rice meat cheese vegetables and salsa that just one tortilla blocker can’t contain his explosive flavor and he’s going to be all over the goddamn backfield in an unpleasant mess you’ll have to clean up later!!!!!!

Kiimo
05-14-2020, 03:29 PM
You beat off to strange things

KCUnited
05-14-2020, 03:32 PM
You beat off to strange things

Leader in the clubhouse right here. Captures his mysteriousness and potential. Can hear it rolling off Berman's tongue. Well done.

TomBarndtsTwin
05-14-2020, 03:38 PM
I can’t wait until he breaks out this year.

When SNL and the Chiefs D-Line converge:

'Taco!'

"Burrito!"

'What's comin' outta your speedo?' (Chris Jones)

Sorce
05-14-2020, 03:39 PM

I did eat taco bell so it's coming.

Bump
05-14-2020, 04:20 PM
I kind of expect him to not play at all, just like the last 2 years. He did almost sack Tom Brady that one time though, that was cool.

Megatron96
05-14-2020, 07:24 PM
LMAO

Prison Bitch
05-14-2020, 07:32 PM
Think about all the nobodies this board has argued about over the years

Then apply to Speaks.

Warrick
05-14-2020, 08:43 PM
As a big DE that can slide inside on passing downs, he’s not fat.

The only reason people think he’s fat is because he played out of position at OLB. You literally won’t see anything about his weight in any scouting report of him coming out.

https://res-1.cloudinary.com/rivals/image/upload/f_auto,q_auto,t_large/epq2oiywtr6myo3vhjjx

5 Layer Burrito

Halfcan
05-14-2020, 08:55 PM
My guess would be, that Speaks will be cut. If he shows up fat and out of shape for camp again, I expect the Chiefs to sever ties with him.

It was a strange pick to start with and he really hasn't made much of an effort to stand out.

staylor26
05-14-2020, 09:07 PM
My guess would be, that Speaks will be cut. If he shows up fat and out of shape for camp again, I expect the Chiefs to sever ties with him.

It was a strange pick to start with and he really hasn't made much of an effort to stand out.

:facepalm:

staylor26
05-14-2020, 09:08 PM
https://res-1.cloudinary.com/rivals/image/upload/f_auto,q_auto,t_large/epq2oiywtr6myo3vhjjx

5 Layer Burrito

You think that’s fat? Have you ever seen a DL in your life? Do you think they all have 6 packs?

Warrick
05-14-2020, 09:47 PM
He's known to have problems managing his weight throughout his college career and even in KC... To say otherwise, isn't exactly telling the truth.

TLO
05-14-2020, 09:48 PM
I think his nickname will be "Free Agent" soon enough.

Pitt Gorilla
05-14-2020, 09:48 PM

5 Layer Burrito
That's not fat at all for a DL.

Warrick
05-14-2020, 09:59 PM
That's not fat at all for a DL.

I've seen him a lot heavier in KC, no doubt, but did you read the headline of the picture underneath that one in my original post?

Mahomes_Is_God
05-14-2020, 10:18 PM
Remember that time when he had Brady dead to rights but then his giant morbidly obese grease covered hands just slid off him and Brady ran into the endzone for a touchdown?

Halfcan
05-15-2020, 01:08 AM
You think that’s fat? Have you ever seen a DL in your life? Do you think they all have 6 packs?

So, are you contradicting his own words- that he was Not in shape to start camp?

I guess we will see this fall.

staylor26
05-15-2020, 01:24 AM
So, are you contradicting his own words- that he was Not in shape to start camp?

I guess we will see this fall.

You do know that not being in shape doesn’t necessarily equal being fat, right?

Also, he passed the conditioning test...

staylor26
05-15-2020, 01:25 AM
He's known to have problems managing his weight throughout his college career and even in KC... To say otherwise, isn't exactly telling the truth.

This is fucking bullshit. The guy weighed 285 lbs as a DT/DE. Show me one scouting report or story about him struggling with his weight in college I’ll wait...

You are pulling that straight out of your ass and you want to talk about “telling the truth”? LMAO

saphojunkie
05-15-2020, 02:19 AM
Nobody knows anything about speaks. He played one season out of position with bob sutton.

We don’t know if he’s shit or Shinola.

Couch-Potato
05-15-2020, 05:09 AM
No. But like others here at CP I do hope he breaks out this year. I recall Ford being a bust until the year he broke out!

Naptown Chief
05-15-2020, 06:09 AM
Yes! A total cutie.. I'd like to gobble him up

Warrick
05-15-2020, 10:58 AM
This is ****ing bullshit. The guy weighed 285 lbs as a DT/DE. Show me one scouting report or story about him struggling with his weight in college I’ll wait...

You might want to go back and read the headline again. He's had weight issues everywhere he's played.

staylor26
05-15-2020, 11:00 AM
You might want to go back and read the headline again.

The headline of what? This thread? What does that have to do with your bs claim that Speaks has always struggled with his weight going back to college?

staylor26
05-15-2020, 11:02 AM
Oh now I see.

You’re talking about the headline that says “Speaks gaining weight and confidence after disappointing 2016 season...”

If you can’t fucking tell that in that context gaining weight was a GOOD thing (he was an undersized DT), then you’re fucking retarded. If anything, that just further proves how full of shit you are.

Speaks, who entered that sophomore season with high hopes, lost his job midway through the Rebels’ disappointing 2016 season. He also lost a significant amount of weight, making his job of battling Southeastern Conference offensive linemen that much tougher.

“I wasn’t focused and that was part of it,” Speaks said. “That’s pretty much where my body broke down, having to do so much with everything going on.

“I think at the LSU game, it kind of broke down. I had a lot of controversy on the sideline. There was a lot of stuff going on. Guys weren’t focused. I wasn’t focused. I think that’s where it broke down.”

After an offseason of soul-searching, Speaks is back to 290 pounds this spring, though he’d like to get over 300 pounds before the Rebels’ opener in September

ModSocks
05-15-2020, 11:09 AM
Speaks will have 7+ year NFL career. It seems like the perception of him gets worse and worse every time his name is brought up, like "Breeland Speaks Sucks" is on default mode.

I saw a first year player that rarely lost at the PoA. He didn't really win either, but the golden rule is 3-years of development for DL's. Let the dude develop his grown man strength. Let him play in a scheme that fits him.

As it is right now, he's a solid rotational player. He didn't really "suck" his rookie season and i expect he'll be better this year.

ModSocks
05-15-2020, 11:10 AM
You know who sucked? Tyson Jackson fucking sucked his rookie year. Dude would get blown off the LoS 5 yards back as soon as the ball was snapped. HE was suck.

Breeland Speaks doesn't lose like that.

Warrick
05-15-2020, 11:11 AM
Oh now I see.

You’re talking about the headline that says “Speaks gaining weight and confidence after disappointing 2016 season...”

If you can’t ****ing tell that in that context gaining weight was a GOOD thing (he was an undersized DT), then you’re ****ing retarded. If anything, that just further proves how full of shit you are.

Okay Dane v2.0, whatever you say... He's always come to camp in shape, even in KC. So much denial, I don't understand your crush with this player that you have to change facts about him.

DJ's left nut
05-15-2020, 11:14 AM
I have a macro for it.

And yes, he sucked his rookie year. Badly. Now you can blame system or scheme or position or just being a rookie if you want. There may have been fair and wholly justifiable reasons for it.

But Breeland Speaks absolutely sucked his rookie year. He was street free agent caliber.

A lot of things went against Speaks as a rookie. He was overdrafted because Veach locked in on need and the position group cratered as our pick approached. He was put in a position his body type was ill-suited for and worked with a coaching staff that seemed to have no idea what to do with him.

But he played poorly. If he has a 2020 season on par with his 2018 season, he'll be cut loose; traded for a 3rd day pick or cut outright.

He definitely sucked. Can he improve? Sure. I don't expect it because I literally saw nothing in terms of physical skills or technique to suggest that he's going to be a viable down lineman in this league, but people improve. They develop their bodies and learn technique. It can happen even if I don't think it's likely.

But continuing to try to put lipstick on the pig that was Breeland Speaks 2018 season is just folly. He was fucking lousy.

staylor26
05-15-2020, 11:15 AM
Okay Dane v2.0, whatever you say... He's always come to camp in shape, even in KC. So much denial, I don't understand your crush with this player that you have to change facts about him.

The irony :facepalm:

Speaks, who entered that sophomore season with high hopes, lost his job midway through the Rebels’ disappointing 2016 season. He also lost a significant amount of weight, making his job of battling Southeastern Conference offensive linemen that much tougher.

“I wasn’t focused and that was part of it,” Speaks said. “That’s pretty much where my body broke down, having to do so much with everything going on.

“I think at the LSU game, it kind of broke down. I had a lot of controversy on the sideline. There was a lot of stuff going on. Guys weren’t focused. I wasn’t focused. I think that’s where it broke down.”

After an offseason of soul-searching, Speaks is back to 290 pounds this spring, though he’d like to get over 300 pounds before the Rebels’ opener in September

That’s the fucking article from the headline you posted dumbass. Speaks needed to gain weight because he was an undersized DT. It was a GOOD thing. Get a fucking clue.

ModSocks
05-15-2020, 11:17 AM
I've seen him a lot heavier in KC, no doubt, but did you read the headline of the picture underneath that one in my original post?

The picture doesn't illustrate an overweight lineman.

Your headline without context does you no favors either.

I bet the article is talking about his weight gain in a positive manner.

Yes, college players continue to gain weight. Especially linemen. They're trying to get to NFL size. Do you know what Speaks' weight was in 2015? I BET in 2015, he was still getting into NFL size. It's what they do. They're suppose to.

DJ's left nut
05-15-2020, 11:17 AM
You know who sucked? Tyson Jackson fucking sucked his rookie year. Dude would get blown off the LoS 5 yards back as soon as the ball was snapped. HE was suck.

Breeland Speaks doesn't lose like that.

Yes he does.

Speaks was getting absolutely stonewalled and the only real distinction was that he was doing it from a 2-point stance and off the LOS so he was able to get a head start before getting stood straight up.

An edge player from a 2-point stance getting stopped in his tracks is just as bad a loss as a down lineman losing ground. And it happened to Speaks with regularity. The guy just could not disengage from blockers. He isn't blessed with much in the way of first step quickness and his hand-fighting is rudimentary at best, so he wasn't able to keep guys out of his chest. And as soon as they got there, Speaks rep was over.

He was baaaaaaad. He absolutely was Tyson Jackson bad. Now Jackson was a 3rd overall pick playing his natural position so there was no excuse for Jackson. But he was just as ineffective.

RunKC
05-15-2020, 11:18 AM
Jesus this guy let his body go and had to do some soul searching in college?. And now he shows up to OTA’s looking like a fat POS and then admits he let himself go in the off-season?

He deserves another chance, but holy shit does this not look good.

staylor26
05-15-2020, 11:19 AM
The picture doesn't illustrate an overweight lineman.

Your headline without context does you no favors either.

I bet the article is talking about his weight gain in a positive manner.

Yes, college players continue to gain weight. Especially linemen. They're trying to get to NFL size. Do you know what Speaks' weight was in 2015? I BET in 2015, he was still getting into NFL size. It's what they do. They're suppose to.

Oh it is, just look at my post. Dude is completely full of shit.

staylor26
05-15-2020, 11:20 AM
Jesus this guy let his body go and had to do some soul searching in college?. And now he shows up to OTA’s looking like a fat POS and then admits he let himself go in the off-season?

He deserves another chance, but holy shit does this not look good.

JFC He didn’t let his body go moron. Read the fucking article. He was an undersized DT.

Warrick
05-15-2020, 11:21 AM
We both know he didn't need to gain weight... He gained it and the team needed to switch his position, just he did in KC - showing up out of shape. It's the same ol' story with him.

RealSNR
05-15-2020, 11:22 AM
Pioli should have been fired after that 2009 draft. On the fucking spot.

What an embarrassing abortion that was.

staylor26
05-15-2020, 11:23 AM
We both know he didn't need to gain weight... He gained it and the team needed to switch his position, just he did in KC - showing up out of shape. It's the same ol' story with him.

Holy fuck you’re a special kinda of stupid.

This is honestly the dumbest fucking take I’ve ever seen on CP.

Speaks was an undersized DT going into the 2017 season that put on weight and had a breakout year. This is a fact yet you’re accusing me of trying to change that facts.

ModSocks
05-15-2020, 11:24 AM
Yes he does.

LMAO No he doesn't.

We're just not going to agree on this. I think you and others have dug into this "Breeland Speaks sucks" narrative so hard that all objectivity has been lost.

If you think he was Tyson Jackson bad, we just aren't going to agree.

He never got blown up like Tyson Jackson did. Yeah, he was underwhelming. But Tyson Jackson got his shit pushed in routinely as a rookie. Breeland Speaks held his ground at least. You didn't see him moved from his spot often on run plays. I thought at the very least Speaks would be a solid, rotational run defender.

Breeland Speaks is like year 3 Tyson Jackson.

RunKC
05-15-2020, 11:24 AM
JFC He didn’t let his body go moron. Read the ****ing article. He was an undersized DT.

He is lazy dude. There proof of that from the get go, including him admitting it in camp last year.

Lazy players don’t last, especially players that aren’t extremely talented.

DJ's left nut
05-15-2020, 11:25 AM
Oh it is, just look at my post. Dude is completely full of shit.

The problem with your outlook here is that it requires you ignore Speak's own words.

Speaks conceded that he had a poor offseason and came into camp overweight and out of shape. This was not speculation based on a snapshot - it was Speaks coming out and saying "yeah, I definitely could've handled this better"

And I believe I recall him citing the offseason malaise as a reason for his PED suspension (trying to get a boost to get himself back into playing shape), though I'm not sure that was ever straight from his mouth and could've been second hand.

To this point Speaks had a season of play where he was barely roster caliber, an offseason where he admitted he didn't take it as seriously as he should've and another season lost to injury (that would've been partially lost to suspension). To try to dress the first half of this contract up as anything other than an unmitigated failure is really just digging a trench and placing the bar in it.

Halfway in he's been a major bust. He has time, but less than I think you're acknowledging. If he doesn't show significant improvement in 2021 he could absolutely be a camp cut next season. Danna sure looks he fits the sort of role that people are picturing for Speaks in this system. If he passes Speaks on the depth chart (and I see no reason to assume he won't at this time), Speaks has little use here.

staylor26
05-15-2020, 11:25 AM
He is lazy dude. There proof of that from the get go, including him admitting it in camp last year.

Lazy players don’t last, especially players that aren’t extremely talented.

What the fuck are you talking about? You’re trying to use an article talking about him being undersized and needing to gain weight (which led to a breakout year) and trying to twist it as some sort of negative.

This place gets dumber by the day, I swear.

ModSocks
05-15-2020, 11:26 AM
JFC He didn’t let his body go moron. Read the fucking article. He was an undersized DT.

It's pretty common for college linemen to be asked to gain weight. Just from the article alone it seems like they were asking him to get up to 300lbs.

We're talking about an article from 2016. What, he was 2 years removed from HS? C'mon.

staylor26
05-15-2020, 11:26 AM
The problem with your outlook here is that it requires you ignore Speak's own words.

Speaks conceded that he had a poor offseason and came into camp overweight and out of shape. This was not speculation based on a snapshot - it was Speaks coming out and saying "yeah, I definitely could've handled this better"

And I believe I recall him citing the offseason malaise as a reason for his PED suspension (trying to get a boost to get himself back into playing shape), though I'm not sure that was ever straight from his mouth and could've been second hand.

To this point Speaks had a season of play where he was barely roster caliber, an offseason where he admitted he didn't take it as seriously as he should've and another season lost to injury (that would've been partially lost to suspension). To try to dress the first half of this contract up as anything other than an unmitigated failure is really just digging a trench and placing the bar in it.

Halfway in he's been a major bust. He has time, but less than I think you're acknowledging. If he doesn't show significant improvement in 2021 he could absolutely be a camp cut next season. Danna sure looks he fits the sort of role that people are picturing for Speaks in this system. If he passes Speaks on the depth chart (and I see no reason to assume he won't at this time), Speaks has little use here.

Dude, we’re talking about Speaks in college. He’s trying to use an article where Speaks gaining weight was a good thing as proof that he’s struggled with his weight and been fat going back to college. Catch up.

ModSocks
05-15-2020, 11:27 AM

The argument wasn't about 2019. Someone suggested that he had an overweight issue in college, and then provided some incredibly poor evidence.

DJ's left nut
05-15-2020, 11:30 AM
LMAO No he doesn't.

We're just not going to agree on this. I think you and others have dug into this "Breeland Speaks sucks" narrative so hard that all objectivity has been lost.

If you think he was Tyson Jackson bad, we just aren't going to agree.

He never got blown up like Tyson Jackson did. Yeah, he was underwhelming. But Tyson Jackson got his shit pushed in routinely as a rookie. Breeland Speaks held his ground at least. You didn't see him moved from his spot often on run plays. I thought at the very least Speaks would be a solid, rotational run defender.

Breeland Speaks is like year 3 Tyson Jackson.

He held his ground 2 yards off the LOS. Again, you're ignoring the distinction between Jackson having to come straight out of his stance into contact and Speaks getting to move forward at the snap.

Speaks being stood straight up by TEs 2 yards from the LOS is just as ineffective as Jackson being driven back by a T/G off the snap. They're both just held out into space and running lanes open underneath them.

Guy had 15 tackles playing mostly weak-side where he wasn't going to be asked to redirect guys but rather clean them up. Dee Ford has 42 and he's some scrub that can't play the run but Speaks is a 'solid run defender' somehow?

Warrick
05-15-2020, 11:32 AM
The argument wasn't about 2019. Someone suggested that he had an overweight issue in college, and then provided some incredibly poor evidence.

I stated he had weight issues in college and KC... This isn't just about college only. He continues to show up to camp out of shape, which is the point.

ModSocks
05-15-2020, 11:34 AM
I stated he had weight issues in college and KC... This isn't just about college only. He continues to show up to camp out of shape, which is the point.

And you provided nothing that demonstrates he had weight issues in college, and 1 of 2 years in the pros he showed up out of shape, yet still passed his conditioning.

I get it. He looks soft. Pudgy. I know. I've complained about it too. But overweight? Naaah. Just not the ideal kind of body we seem from elite athletes.

staylor26
05-15-2020, 11:34 AM

One offseason. Everything else you’re saying is a huge reach.

And you trying to present that article as proof that he has been overweight and out of shape since college is disingenuous at best and the complete opposite of the truth.

DJ's left nut
05-15-2020, 11:36 AM
Dude, we’re talking about Speaks in college. He’s trying to use an article where Speaks gaining weight was a good thing as proof that he’s struggled with his weight and been fat going back to college. Catch up.

He went down a rabbithole trying to corroborate a point regarding the 2019 season, though. Someone said he showed up fat in '19, there was a dispute and the 'he's had weight problems for years' argument showed up.

Alright, whatever, scrap that one and get back to the point he was attempting to corroborate - that Speaks sat ass last offseason and came to camp unprepared for the year after an underwhelming (for whatever reason) 2018.

Any of that truly in dispute? Moreover, but/for the suspension and the fact that he came to camp out of shape, don't you think they'd have tried to keep him on the 53 through final cutdown day before they put him on the IR? That would've made him eligible to return next year.

They thought so little of him that they didn't even bother to clear a roster spot on the last day of camp so he could TRY to make himself a part of this team. They were so convinced that there was a zero percent chance that he'd contribute this season that they slapped his ass on the IR instead of just exposing someone for a single day who they could've immediately re-signed the next day after putting Speaks on the IR one day later.

It's a distinction that gets overlooked but I think it says volumes about how he was viewed within the organization at the time. The cost of putting him on the IR one day later and potentially giving him a chance to work his way back was essentially nothing. And they still just said "fuck it - go home, we can't use you".

The way he handled the offseason almost certainly played a role in him not even being given the opportunity to work his way back onto the roster last year. That's another strike in my eyes and probably in the eyes of the staff as well.

KC Hawks
05-15-2020, 11:38 AM
I think Veach has done a fantastic job, but the Speaks pick is still a head-scratcher to me. I guess I don't know what he saw in him.

staylor26
05-15-2020, 11:40 AM
Speaks was higher on the depth chart than KPass and Ogbah and was getting run with the 1‘s before his injury....

Warrick
05-15-2020, 11:43 AM
Please, show me where I said overweight, I believe I said he has weight issues. Everyone knows he's had issues maintaining his weight, even going back to college and it continues in KC. The overweight issue you're talking about can be overseen as soon as you switch his position. He shows up to camp out of shape, and yes he's soft, pudgy at the point.

DJ's left nut
05-15-2020, 11:44 AM
I think Veach has done a fantastic job, but the Speaks pick is still a head-scratcher to me. I guess I don't know what he saw in him.

Look at Danna.

I think that's what they saw as his ultimate role. I think they knew they were eventually in a 4-3 and Speaks was to be an inside/outside rotational DL w/ some upside to grow into a role similar to Ogbah's. A more sturdy SDE type who can kick inside on passing downs and complement a guy like Nnadi who's really a 2-down player in most ways.

I see the thought process...but I guess I agree with you that I just don't see this player as filling the role. For the same reasons I've said; iffy technique and burst, no standout physical skill such as functional strength or premier leverage play.

He just looks for all the world like a JAG. A guy who can work hard, get coached up, get his body developed and have a nice 4-5 year career; maybe even eventually get a decent payday after his rookie deal is up and then just kinda drift away. But that sure strikes me as a 4th/5th round pick sort of player.

Again - Mike Danna.

{shrug}

It's done. His need to this team was clearly demonstrated last season. The team didn't give a shit if he could get himself healthy or not. They also won a SB without him. Miss, not a miss, whatever - he was ultimately irrelevant. I just can't figure out why some still feel compelled to defend the pick or the player.

To this point they've both been pretty rotten.

DJ's left nut
05-15-2020, 11:49 AM
Speaks was higher on the depth chart than KPass and Ogbah and was getting run with the 1‘s before his injury....

And don't you think that if they saw anything they were intrigued by they'd have waited one. more. day. to put him on the IR?

That's all they needed to do for him to eligible to return. With an injury that carried a likely 8 week recovery time (which means realistically 6-10; always fudge 2 weeks either way).

Would've had him as a possibility to return down the stretch and into the playoffs. And they didn't even bother.

Do you really believe that doesn't say a lot about what they thought about him? If he was showing any likelihood at all of working his way into the starting lineup, regardless of the fact that he was taking snaps with the 1s on occasion, they wouldn't have punted on him like that over an 8 week injury.

Occam's razor here man - he fatted his way into the doghouse.

staylor26
05-15-2020, 11:49 AM
And I can’t figure out why you haven’t learned to have a little humility and trust in the process after Veach dragged his nuts all over your face :D

staylor26
05-15-2020, 11:50 AM
It’s also possible that they didn’t think he was coming back either way, since there was never even a report that it was a possibility.

DJ's left nut
05-15-2020, 11:52 AM
And I can’t figure out why you haven’t learned to have a little humility and trust in the process after Veach dragged his nuts all over your face :D

I can't figure out how you can't actually speak directly to an argument without appealing to authority.

Veach sent your fatass buddy home for the winter because he knew he couldn't help the team. I'm using Veach's own actions here and you're sidestepping them.

staylor26
05-15-2020, 11:56 AM
I can't figure out how you can't actually speak directly to an argument without appealing to authority.

Veach sent your fatass buddy home for the winter because he knew he couldn't help the team. I'm using Veach's own actions here and you're sidestepping them.

Appealing to authority? I’m just giving you shit man. I have my own takes and my own opinions, everybody should know that by now. Me trusting Veach and being patient with his moves doesn’t mean I’m appealing to authority. Speaks was my least favorite pick of Veach’s tenure. I’m not even saying he is going to be a good player.

I’m simply waiting until I actually see him play real snaps in the 4-3 before I rush to judgment and write him off completely.

That’s completely fair.

DJ's left nut
05-15-2020, 12:01 PM
It’s also possible that they didn’t think he was coming back either way, since there was never even a report that it was a possibility.

Sure there were - plenty of reports after it happened that he had the possibility of coming back later in the season. Once he was put on the IR prior to cut-down day it was a moot point because the rules no longer allowed it so no, there would have been no reporting on it as a possibility at that time.

But when the injury happened the timelines varied but they were 8-12 weeks. I think it was week 3 of the pre-season right? So at 12 weeks we're talking week 10 of the seasonish.

It's a sprained MCL. Guys come back from sprained MCL's all the time. Obviously severity makes a difference but an MCL is one of the few ligaments that will actually heal itself with rest. It's really resilient. And a meniscus surgery is gonna be a debridement or removal.

The problem isn't that he didn't return - it's that at zero cost to them, they didn't even care to try. Time would've likely suggested that bringing him back wasn't the best use of one of our guys who could return (Dan and an OL came back, right? Probably Fisher). I don't think he'd have been brought back either way. But they cared so little about the possibility that they closed the door on it at zero cost.

You think they'd have done that with Nnadi? They didn't do it with Sorensen. What level of fringe-roster player do you have to be to get an injury in the pre-season that players come back from all the time and just not be given an opportunity?

DJ's left nut
05-15-2020, 12:04 PM
Appealing to authority? I’m just giving you shit man. I have my own takes and my own opinions, everybody should know that by now. Me trusting Veach and being patient with his moves doesn’t mean I’m appealing to authority. Speaks was my least favorite pick of Veach’s tenure. I’m not even saying he is going to be a good player.

I’m simply waiting until I actually see him play real snaps in the 4-3 before I rush to judgment and write him off completely.

That’s completely fair.

I'm less intrigued by his return than I was by the possibility of K-Pass last year. But I was always a K-Pass over Speaks guy anyway.

I'm not saying cut the kid tomorrow. I'm just saying that I see no reason to hold out appreciable hope for him. And yes, he could end up making himself a viable contributor in a 4-3; like you, I believe that was always the role they envisioned for him.

I mean the easy answer is always "we'll just wait and see..." but that's fence-riding of the highest order and serves little purpose on an anonymous message board.

Gun to your head, is Speaks a meaningful contributor to the Chiefs by 2021? If not a starter, let's say 40% of defensive snaps. Does he stay ahead of Danna after this season? He'll get 2020 to prove something, but what do you truly think he'll prove?

staylor26
05-15-2020, 12:07 PM
I'm less intrigued by his return than I was by the possibility of K-Pass last year. But I was always a K-Pass over Speaks guy anyway.

I'm not saying cut the kid tomorrow. I'm just saying that I see no reason to hold out appreciable hope for him. And yes, he could end up making himself a viable contributor in a 4-3; like you, I believe that was always the role they envisioned for him.

I mean the easy answer is always "we'll just wait and see..." but that's fence-riding of the highest order and serves little purpose on an anonymous message board.

Gun to your head, is Speaks a meaningful contributor to the Chiefs by 2021? If not a starter, let's say 40% of defensive snaps. Does he stay ahead of Danna after this season? He'll get 2020 to prove something, but what do you truly think he'll prove?

Oh I don’t have any expectations for him whatsoever. Anything he does is a bonus and icing on the cake IMO.

DJ's left nut
05-15-2020, 12:11 PM
Oh I don’t have any expectations for him whatsoever. Anything he does is a bonus and icing on the cake IMO.

Fair 'nuff.

We're probably on about the same page then.

I figure if they liked the guy all that much at this point, he makes the 53 w/ an IR designation and then gets a shot to return (though circumstances end up keeping him on the IR in all likelihood). And then, given their affinity for Keyes, they probably take him instead of Danna with the idea that Speaks fills that role admirably for the next couple of seasons while we continue to build DB depth.

Granted, they went and got Keyes anyway, but it's less of what happened than the path it took to get there. Just a bunch of little indicators here and there that the organization really doesn't see Speaks as anything more than you or I do.

He's kindof a non-factor until he proves otherwise. Which I suppose is a damn sight better than what we had under Fat Scott, where his sacred cows would have jobs saved for them despite numerous chances and failures.

It's funny, but cutting that 3rd round corner we took out of N.D. early on in Reid's time here was on of the first signs that this franchise was unfucking itself. Once it established the confidence in itself to move on from mistakes instead of doubling down on them, you knew we were on the right track.

It was the sign of the kind of thinking that leads an organization that spent 2 high picks on Alex Smith and watching him play very well as a rule only to tuck tail in the post-season to take a gamble on a kid like Mahomes.

RunKC
05-15-2020, 12:39 PM
Look at Danna.

I think that's what they saw as his ultimate role. I think they knew they were eventually in a 4-3 and Speaks was to be an inside/outside rotational DL w/ some upside to grow into a role similar to Ogbah's. A more sturdy SDE type who can kick inside on passing downs and complement a guy like Nnadi who's really a 2-down player in most ways.

I see the thought process...but I guess I agree with you that I just don't see this player as filling the role. For the same reasons I've said; iffy technique and burst, no standout physical skill such as functional strength or premier leverage play.

He just looks for all the world like a JAG. A guy who can work hard, get coached up, get his body developed and have a nice 4-5 year career; maybe even eventually get a decent payday after his rookie deal is up and then just kinda drift away. But that sure strikes me as a 4th/5th round pick sort of player.

Again - Mike Danna.

{shrug}

It's done. His need to this team was clearly demonstrated last season. The team didn't give a shit if he could get himself healthy or not. They also won a SB without him. Miss, not a miss, whatever - he was ultimately irrelevant. I just can't figure out why some still feel compelled to defend the pick or the player.

To this point they've both been pretty rotten.

I agree. Danna was a Daley pick apparently, so we’ll see what happens there.

I like Tanoh and Taco rushing on pass downs inside more than Speaks. I’m more of a fan of those long, strong athletic guys instead of Speaks. Seems like the perfect compliment to Jones.

Speaks is in the doghouse IMO. They’ll try to get as much as they can out of him but I can easily see him cut if he shows up out of shape again.

DJ's left nut
05-15-2020, 12:50 PM
I agree. Danna was a Daley pick apparently, so we’ll see what happens there.

I like Tanoh and Taco rushing on pass downs inside more than Speaks. I’m more of a fan of those long, strong athletic guys instead of Speaks. Seems like the perfect compliment to Jones.

Speaks is in the doghouse IMO. They’ll try to get as much as they can out of him but I can easily see him cut if he shows up out of shape again.

Ya just cannot show up fat with a new coaching staff, brah.

Blows my mind that he did that. And then pulled the whole Costanza routine - "Was that bad? Should I not have done that?"

I dunno - for a guy I was never high on to begin with, that left a real sour taste. It's just so damn immature and this is a grown man's league. Guys with tools FAR beyond Breeland's have loafed their way out of this game.

duncan_idaho
05-15-2020, 02:20 PM
There's little doubt this is a make-or-break year for Speaks (just like last year was for Taco Charlton in Miami).

I'm in the middle. I think it's too early to write him off, but it is too early to say definitively the scheme change will make him a stud.

I think he actually fits in this scheme and can be a solid rotational guy on the end in early downs and sliding inside on passing downs. If they can get that out of Kpassagnon, it seems to me they can get it out of a guy who was still running ahead of them in training camp last year despite being "out of shape."

Re: Speaks and his shape... personally, I'm only concerned about him being "in football shape." That does not mean he comes in cut up and with his abs clearly defined. It just means he comes in with the stamina needed to fill his role.

Halfcan
05-15-2020, 02:41 PM

:thumb: Thanks for expanding on my original post in which I was laughed at. Speaks is on thin ice IMO. If he does not show that he can fundamentally change his attitude about his chosen profession- a better player will take that spot.

We are the Champs and guys wat to play here. We don't have time for lazy players like Speaks that comes in out of shape and then try to take a short cut with PED's to stay on the team.

Ubeja Vontell
05-15-2020, 02:44 PM
Dumb nickname so...nope!

TwistedChief
05-15-2020, 03:51 PM
Can't believe Veach traded up to draft this guy, then claimed if you watched his tape he was never on the ground, and then we all found out that his most impressive highlight was waiving to the camera while on his stomach.

This pick is proof Veach is bad at his job and needs to be fired because we'll never win more than three Super Bowls with him as GM.

"Burrito" Speaks it is only because Ubeja thinks it's dumb.

Halfcan
05-15-2020, 07:32 PM
Burrito Speaks is a perfect name for this soft squishy guy.

Demonpenz
05-16-2020, 05:22 AM
He can play football. He was way out of positip. Like way way out of position then he got hurt. If he comes back 100 percent he will contribute. He has to come back fully though or he is gone.

eDave
05-16-2020, 05:26 AM
"cheese" is fine. Close this thread.

RustShack
05-16-2020, 05:33 AM

They drafted him for a 4-3 defense. His first year was a 3-4. He was standing out in camp last year before getting hurt......

eDave
05-16-2020, 05:36 AM
They drafted him for a 4-3 defense. His first year was a 3-4. He was standing out in camp last year before getting hurt......

The muskrat scurries in the night. But the night owl sees at night as if it were day.