PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Ooey Gooey Butter Cake

candyman
05-15-2020, 03:38 PM
Anyone have a good recipe they'd like to share? Somehow in 20 years of being a pothead I didn't try this until yesterday for the first time. It may be the most delicious thing I've ever tasted, and the one I tried came out of a vending machine. I can't even imagine how good a fresh homemade would be.

srvy
05-15-2020, 04:17 PM
Never heard of it.

Bugeater
05-15-2020, 04:23 PM
Me neither, but somewhere I have a recipe for peanut butter brownies I got from an old church lady that are like crack. You'd demolish the entire pan within 24 hrs.

Abba-Dabba
05-15-2020, 04:31 PM
Anyone have a good recipe they'd like to share? Somehow in 20 years of being a pothead I didn't try this until yesterday for the first time. It may be the most delicious thing I've ever tasted, and the one I tried came out of a vending machine. I can't even imagine how good a fresh homemade would be.

No recipe, but I agree butter cake bars is great stuff.

It's the kinda stuff you imagine grandma bringing to family reunions that you eat a dozen or so pieces of.

limested
05-15-2020, 05:09 PM
Don’t bother trying to make your own. Just buy from http://www.gooeylouiecake.com/

Only good thing to come out of St. Louis

cripple creek
05-15-2020, 05:14 PM
Only good thing to come out of St. Louis let's not forget provell pizza cheese

limested
05-15-2020, 05:42 PM
let's not forget provell pizza cheese

Provell is a vile substance.

philfree
05-15-2020, 06:51 PM
The wife makes it and all I know is that it's covered in powdered sugar.

Okay she says it's Yellow Cake Mix, One stick of melted butter, 1 egg and a TBS of water and you press it into a 9"x13" pan. Then the topping is 1 pound of powdered sugar, 8 OZ of softened Cream Cheese, 2 beaten eggs and 1 tsp of vanilla. Beat till creamy and pour over the cake. Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes.

You Stoner! After you eat it you should make a doctor appointment.

scho63
05-15-2020, 08:25 PM
Butter cake is really big here in Arizona and I find it repulsive. Like eating sugar in a sponge.

srvy
05-15-2020, 09:35 PM
Butter cake is really big here in Arizona and I find it repulsive. Like eating sugar in a sponge.

I can take or leave cake mostly leave but pie is a weakness for me.

scho63
05-15-2020, 10:07 PM

Big question: Crust and top of pie down well so it's a deep golden brown or quick out of the oven and very light? :hmmm:

srvy
05-15-2020, 10:10 PM
Big question: Crust and top of pie down well so it's a deep golden brown or quick out of the oven and very light? :hmmm:

I like a light top crust over deep brown that edge at the lip gets bitter deep browned.

PS: Light and flakey for me that how my mom made them.

scho63
05-15-2020, 10:17 PM
I like a light top crust over deep brown that edge at the lip gets bitter deep browned.

PS: Light and flakey for me that how my mom made them.

:thumb:

I'm more of a deep golden color as I love the crust when it's warm with a cold glass of milk or a nice cup of coffee.

I'm not a big fan of all these food that young people like under cooked like pizza crust, pie crust and cookies. :doh!:

srvy
05-15-2020, 10:35 PM
:thumb:

I'm more of a deep golden color as I love the crust when it's warm with a cold glass of milk or a nice cup of coffee.

I'm not a big fan of all these food that young people like under cooked like pizza crust, pie crust and cookies. :doh!:

I am with you but there is a fine line with dark brown. The edge crust which I strangely like even covered with foil gets bitter.

Mom would always take the dough scrap's sprinkle with cinnamon sugar baked on a sheet. It would be done before the pie me and brother would come to fists fighting for the biggest pieces.

scho63
05-16-2020, 10:07 PM
I am with you but there is a fine line with dark brown. The edge crust which I strangely like even covered with foil gets bitter.

Mom would always take the dough scrap's sprinkle with cinnamon sugar baked on a sheet. It would be done before the pie me and brother would come to fists fighting for the biggest pieces.

:drool::drool:

Yes, I agree there is a definite fine line between golden and overdone! I've had a few bitter crusts I had to toss aside in life myself.

Naptown Chief
05-17-2020, 06:11 AM

Yarp. I'll eat cake on birthdays or family gatherings but I've never once just made one. I do like carrot cake, Boston cream, and German though. Still, I really have to be in the mood and that's a rarity.

Pie though? Sheeeeeet. I make an amazing blueberry cheesecake (I consider a pie because I dump the blueberry sauce inside the pie. OMG :drool: ) Pumpkin, apple, peach.. I love 'em all

candyman
05-17-2020, 09:30 AM
Its not traditional cake like you guys are thinking. I found a Paula Deen recipe online and had my wife make it...closer to cheesecake than birthday cake and is probably my favorite dessert now.

prhom
05-17-2020, 02:01 PM

My mom always baked the scraps too. They were almost better than the pies themselves. I would always try to convince her to make a double recipe of the dough so we would have a whole pie crust worth of them.

gblowfish
05-17-2020, 06:26 PM
Go to Missouri Baking Co in St. Louis and have them ship one to you. They know what its supposed to taste like.
https://www.facebook.com/The-Missouri-Baking-Company-304406429586958/