PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Purple or Casper?

Lzen
05-27-2020, 07:28 AM
I know there were threads in the past about mattresses. I have read through all of the one from last year. Now I believe that my wife and I are down to either a Purple or Casper. What say you, CPers?

Saulbadguy
05-27-2020, 07:47 AM
I have a Casper purchased in 2016. It's fine. I wouldn't recommend the sheets/pillows - they are a bit overpriced for what they are.

cookster50
05-27-2020, 08:12 AM
I say forget either and get a sleep number.

Lzen
05-27-2020, 08:13 AM
I have a Casper purchased in 2016. It's fine. I wouldn't recommend the sheets/pillows - they are a bit overpriced for what they are.

Saul? Where have you been, bud?

I am leaning to the Purple. They, too, try to sell you on their stretchy sheets that are overpriced. I think I'll pass on those.

I am a side sleeper and my wife gets hot so the Purple seems to be right for us. But I've also heard a lot of good things about the Casper. That being said, your comment wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement. It's just fine? Not great or amazing? :spock:

Lzen
05-27-2020, 08:14 AM

My wife wanted one of those but then I looked into the air pump failing and read all the horror stories of people trying to get the company to fix them. Plus there is a median in the middle? No thanks.

DaFace
05-27-2020, 08:18 AM
My wife wanted one of those but then I looked into the air pump failing and read all the horror stories of people trying to get the company to fix them. Plus there is a median in the middle? No thanks.

Guess I've been lucky (as have my parents and brother), but I've loved ours. It's about 10 years old at this point and still feels great.

You don't really notice the median unless you have both sides really soft. It's just a piece of foam.

DJ's left nut
05-27-2020, 08:21 AM

I am leaning to the Purple. They, too, try to sell you on their stretchy sheets that are overpriced. I think I'll pass on those.

I am a side sleeper and my wife gets hot so the Purple seems to be right for us. But I've also heard a lot of good things about the Casper. That being said, your comment wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement. It's just fine? Not great or amazing? :spock:

I don't really love our Purple but it's too damn expensive to move on from. It does do a nice job of staying cool but in the winter that means some damn nice flannel sheets or you'll freeze your ass off. And I'm not sure if mine is just poorly made or what, but it's really damn firm - much moreso than the one we tried in the store (and they're both the Purple 3 or whatever their intermediate firmness mattress is).

The side bolstering is okay but not amazing; a little odd getting yourself out of bed in the morning when the sides are looking to collapse on you.

It's...fine. But I don't think its worth what it cost and I'm a little surprised by the rave reviews it gets. Like I said, it almost makes me wonder if mine is just defective. I feel like I sleep better on a nice hotel bed than I do on our Purple.

OnTheWarpath15
05-27-2020, 08:35 AM
We've been extremely happy with our Casper, including the pillows and sheets.

Shaid
05-27-2020, 08:37 AM
Tried Purple 3 and it didn't quite cut it, I think Purple 4 would have been perfect but they are so pricey. We ended up going with a Brentwood Oceano. It's better than the Purple 3 but I think the Purple 4 would have been a bit better.

Neither of us wake up with sore spots anymore so it does the job it's supposed to do. Purple was "probably" more comfortable but we have sore spots still on the 3. That's why I think the 4 would have been perfect. As it is, we have slightly less comfortable but no sore spots and probably half the price. So, I guess it's a trade-off and depends on your budget.

redfan
05-27-2020, 08:38 AM
Memory foam FTW. No more back pain!

Graystoke
05-27-2020, 08:39 AM
My wife has a Purple pleasure device she calls Casper.

She recommends

oldman
05-27-2020, 08:40 AM

This. We've had a sleep number since 2009 and have never looked back.

Lzen
05-27-2020, 08:55 AM
I don't really love our Purple but it's too damn expensive to move on from. It does do a nice job of staying cool but in the winter that means some damn nice flannel sheets or you'll freeze your ass off. And I'm not sure if mine is just poorly made or what, but it's really damn firm - much moreso than the one we tried in the store (and they're both the Purple 3 or whatever their intermediate firmness mattress is).

The side bolstering is okay but not amazing; a little odd getting yourself out of bed in the morning when the sides are looking to collapse on you.

It's...fine. But I don't think its worth what it cost and I'm a little surprised by the rave reviews it gets. Like I said, it almost makes me wonder if mine is just defective. I feel like I sleep better on a nice hotel bed than I do on our Purple.

Do you like a firm bed? Me, I prefer something a little softer. I think my wife likes the bed a little firmer than I do. I wake up with back pain if I sleep on a firm bed.

We have had a Serta iComfort(?) bed we bought from Nebraska Furniture Mart about 8 years ago. It was about $1600 if I recall correctly. It is memory foam but I guess after so many years it doesn't work so well anymore. It has been a great mattress but now I need to buy a new one.

Lzen
05-27-2020, 08:58 AM
Tried Purple 3 and it didn't quite cut it, I think Purple 4 would have been perfect but they are so pricey. We ended up going with a Brentwood Oceano. It's better than the Purple 3 but I think the Purple 4 would have been a bit better.

Neither of us wake up with sore spots anymore so it does the job it's supposed to do. Purple was "probably" more comfortable but we have sore spots still on the 3. That's why I think the 4 would have been perfect. As it is, we have slightly less comfortable but no sore spots and probably half the price. So, I guess it's a trade-off and depends on your budget.

Wow, how many mattress companies are out there nowadays? Every time I read through one of these threads, I learn about new companies.

Shaid
05-27-2020, 09:03 AM
Wow, how many mattress companies are out there nowadays? Every time I read through one of these threads, I learn about new companies.

yeah, it's pretty crazy. When I was researching I discovered a ton of ones I had never heard of.

DJ's left nut
05-27-2020, 09:14 AM
Do you like a firm bed? Me, I prefer something a little softer. I think my wife likes the bed a little firmer than I do. I wake up with back pain if I sleep on a firm bed.

We have had a Serta iComfort(?) bed we bought from Nebraska Furniture Mart about 8 years ago. It was about $1600 if I recall correctly. It is memory foam but I guess after so many years it doesn't work so well anymore. It has been a great mattress but now I need to buy a new one.

I can't do real soft - just wake up stiff as hell. I like support with a soft top.

I may end up getting a memory foam or softer mattress cover to see if the general 'flexible support of the purple can be combined w/ a memory foam top and be something of the best of both worlds.

Ultimately I've got a bad disk in my neck and some weird lumbar issues from playing softball in my late 30s like I'm still in my teens, so I'm maybe a poor taste case because I'm just a bit creaky.

I think our old one was a Serta as well; one of the first first pocket coil mattresses so you could roll over and not disturb the other person in the bed. It was great but it was also 13 years old and WELL past needing to be replaced.

The thing weighed half-ton when we got rid of it - the amount of chaff that you shed when you sleep is just not worth thinking about, especially when you realize that it probably yielded the weight of an entire person over a decade when we tried to remove it.

Dayze
05-27-2020, 09:29 AM
we went through the mattress buying thing last year; spent MONTHs trying to decide, research etc; Finally went to Macy's and laid on a Purple. Loved it. Ended up buying a Purple 3. absolutely love it.

For better part of 2 decades, I could never fall asleep within a reasonable amount of time; would wake up just groggy all the time. Bought several 'expensive' traditional mattresses over the years. always seemed to wake up groggy and even at times, downright sore. I would actually get a better night's rest on the couch, or even falling asleep in the big recliner we had at the time.

we've had the Purple 3 for about a year now, and absolutely love it. we REALLY liked the Purple 4, but it was a bit out of reach budget wise. I even bought a purple pillow. I'm a back sleeper, and I fall asleep I probably 10 minutes or less. It's cool in the summer as well. We thought we'd never find a compromise as I'm a back sleeper and the wife is a stomach sleeper. but the P3 suits us both fine.

We even considered buying a sleep number, but when it was all said and done, it was quoted at around $5500. We were so desparate for good sleep, we almost just said 'screw it' and bought the Sleep Number. But I'm glad we didnt (from a $$ standpoint). I think we paid like $2k for the P3; got a 18 Mo 0% deal on a Macy's AmEx card; paid off the bed in like 6 months.

Absolutely love it.

tx4chiefs
05-27-2020, 09:45 AM
I have a Sleep Number and never slept better. Especially, if you like different firmness. I sleep on about 45-55, wife sleeps on 100. The spacer in the center is not really a problem, it looses firmness quickly and just matches the beds height.

Saulbadguy
05-27-2020, 10:08 AM

Doing great, living the dream :)

It's not a ringing endorsement, but I would say it was worth the price I paid.

BryanBusby
05-27-2020, 10:26 AM
Funny this popped up today with how much I've been obsessing over figuring out a better bed option.

We bought a new bed around 3.5 years ago and I absolutely hate it. Even after putting a foam topper on it. It makes my lower back and hip areas sore as hell and I don't think I ever get a good nights sleep in result and has resulted in me being tired all day and sucking back ridiculous amounts of caffeine to get through the day.

Anyone have an adjustable base they can speak about positively or negatively about? I've been looking at the Tempurpedic mattresses and they seem expensive as shit and not great for sex, but at this point I think I'm desperate enough to pay for a good sleep again.

DaFace
05-27-2020, 10:28 AM
Funny this popped up today with how much I've been obsessing over figuring out a better bed option.

We bought a new bed around 3.5 years ago and I absolutely hate it. Even after putting a foam topper on it. It makes my lower back and hip areas sore as hell and I don't think I ever get a good nights sleep in result and has resulted in me being tired all day and sucking back ridiculous amounts of caffeine to get through the day.

Anyone have an adjustable base they can speak about positively or negatively about? I've been looking at the Tempurpedic mattresses and they seem expensive as shit and not great for sex, but at this point I think I'm desperate enough to pay for a good sleep again.

The price tag goes to a whole new level, but my parents have a sleep number with an adjustable base and love it. Not sure I could justify it, but if you're constantly sleeping like shit...

Buehler445
05-27-2020, 10:29 AM
Casper Wave owner Here. Love it. Ruined other beds for me.

BryanBusby
05-27-2020, 10:30 AM
The price tag goes to a whole new level, but my parents have a sleep number with an adjustable base and love it. Not sure I could justify it, but if you're constantly sleeping like shit...
My wife and I were originally looking at a sleep number and I think the whole air chamber failing thing spooked me pretty good.

BWillie
05-27-2020, 10:34 AM
I've heard Purple is really comfortable but sucks and goes to shit in about a year based on what it is made out of.

I'd like to confirm people's thoughts though that have these but have had them at least a few years.

BeMyValentine
05-27-2020, 10:41 AM
Purple 3 for back sleepers. Purple 4 is really for heavy people.

I enjoy my Purple 3 for 18 months but my brother couldn't stand his. He is a side sleeper.

DJ's left nut
05-27-2020, 10:44 AM
Purple 3 for back sleepers. Purple 4 is really for heavy people.

I enjoy my Purple 3 for 18 months but my brother couldn't stand his. He is a side sleeper.

Yeah, for all the talk about how the Purple 3 is perfect for back OR side sleepers, I've noticed that I'm significantly less restless if I back sleep. When I side-sleep I just don't feel like I get any of the conforming properties it's supposed to have.

oldman
05-27-2020, 11:32 AM
I don't know where the OP lives, but when the stores open back up, just go try several. I'd agree with DaFace about the adjustable base which seems to be pretty pricey on the sleep number. Unless you do a lot of reading or watching TV in bed, that seems like a lot of money you could spend elsewhere. The nice thing about the sleep number is you both can be happy campers as far as firmness. Oldwoman is usually likes hers at 40, but I change between 55 to 65, dependng on how my back feels.

Trivers
05-27-2020, 01:13 PM
casper wave. love it.

BeMyValentine
05-27-2020, 02:10 PM
Almost wish I went with the M3 Bedgear. Was only out a week when I purchased my purple 3. Wanted to hear more reviews but felt damn comfy.

Dayze
05-27-2020, 02:34 PM

exact same here; a while back, we bought a pricey traditional mattress etc; and within about 2 years, it as kaput it seemed. Tried the pillow top thing; same exact results as you.

I told myself if this purple mattress sucks or goes belly up in 2 years then screw it..I'll just buy a cheap mattress every 2 or 3 years. So far so good on the Purprle.

Otter
05-27-2020, 02:35 PM
Purple mattress hybrid premiere.

Feels like your sleeping on a big pile of college cheerleaders. :rockon:

A good mattress and good shoes are not something to go cheap.

Dayze
05-27-2020, 02:36 PM
I've heard Purple is really comfortable but sucks and goes to shit in about a year based on what it is made out of.

I'd like to confirm people's thoughts though that have these but have had them at least a few years.

only had ours a year. but so far, doesn't seem to be fading. we try to rotate it every other month. can't flip it, as the purple stuff is only on one side. oh...and there are no GD handles on it, so it's a bear to move it around.

I'm curious to see how it feels / how I'll sleep at the 2 year mark, since that seems to be when all my other mattresses mysteriously go downhill.

BryanBusby
05-27-2020, 03:46 PM
Purple mattress hybrid premiere.

Feels like your sleeping on a big pile of college cheerleaders. :rockon:

A good mattress and good shoes are not something to go cheap.
That is a unique way of describing how a mattress feels and good god yes at that last part. I learned my lesson years ago.

05-27-2020, 05:20 PM
Oki Oki mattress

angelo
05-27-2020, 06:36 PM
I highly recommend
https://plankmattress.com/products/mattresses/plank/

Wife and I have been through Sleep Number, Serta and Stearns & Foster
This is the best of them all.

Molitoth
05-27-2020, 07:53 PM
I have a Leesa.

It was a big upgrade at the time, but I'd take a SleepNumber next.

Groves
05-27-2020, 07:56 PM
Do the Purple mattresses work on articulating bed bases?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

digger
05-27-2020, 08:34 PM
Just order a purple last week, 10-14 days out... Hope this one is the one...

Bearcat
05-27-2020, 08:37 PM
Bought a Casper a few years ago... it was a big upgrade, but wouldn't say it's amazing either. I could use something a little softer, like their Wave or finding another one, but as others have said, it's a lot of money to change your mind.

Bugeater
05-27-2020, 10:17 PM
Memory foam FTW. No more back pain!I have a middle of the road mattress from NFM with a memory foam topper. I fucking love melting into that damn thing.

EPodolak
05-27-2020, 10:34 PM
Figured I'd always prefer a firm mattress. Tested a few in stores and came away with a strong preference for plush ones instead. The Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe is the standard, but found one from Nest Bedding a few years ago that compares to it for a lot less $. Also bought some adjustable bases on Amazon, for back sleeping nothing beats finding that zero gravity tilt that takes the strain off your spine. Good pillows are important too.

Lzen
05-28-2020, 08:46 AM
I don't know where the OP lives, but when the stores open back up, just go try several. I'd agree with DaFace about the adjustable base which seems to be pretty pricey on the sleep number. Unless you do a lot of reading or watching TV in bed, that seems like a lot of money you could spend elsewhere. The nice thing about the sleep number is you both can be happy campers as far as firmness. Oldwoman is usually likes hers at 40, but I change between 55 to 65, dependng on how my back feels.

Closest store is about 50 miles away.

Lzen
05-28-2020, 08:49 AM
I highly recommend
https://plankmattress.com/products/mattresses/plank/

Wife and I have been through Sleep Number, Serta and Stearns & Foster
This is the best of them all.

That says it's firm. I don't like firm. I want something softer.

Lzen
05-28-2020, 08:52 AM
Memory foam FTW. No more back pain!

My Serta is memory foam. It was great for a while, the best mattress I ever had. But like all things, it seems to have reached the end of its usefulness.

Lzen
05-28-2020, 08:57 AM
Thanks for all of the comments. I appreciate the input.

It seems that all of you that have a Sleep Number have been happy. I guess in the future, I may have to reconsider that option.

The wife and I decided to give the Purple a try. They have the 100 night trial period. We figure if it doesn't work for us, we're not out anything.

BTW, they are not called the Purple 3 or 4 any longer, apparently. I think they are Purple Hybrid and Purple Hybrid Premier now.

DJ's left nut
05-28-2020, 09:09 AM
Figured I'd always prefer a firm mattress. Tested a few in stores and came away with a strong preference for plush ones instead. The Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe is the standard, but found one from Nest Bedding a few years ago that compares to it for a lot less $. Also bought some adjustable bases on Amazon, for back sleeping nothing beats finding that zero gravity tilt that takes the strain off your spine. Good pillows are important too.

Yeah, I'm thinking I may need one of those bases, they're just damn expensive.

What I realized using them is that the key isn't the top of the bed being able to move, but the bottom. That little bit of tilt up at your feet is what really gives you the zero gravity feel. It's pretty damn nice but the really versatile and reliable ones are in the $1,200 plus range and that's just pretty steep.

Especially when my damn $3k LG fridge shit the bed for the 2nd time in 4 years. Fixable or not, that fucker is going to the curb. To answer a question that hasn't been asked DO NOT buy an LG or Kenmore (same thing) fridge w/ a linear compressor design. Not under any circumstances. That design has gotten them sued twice and yet they still use it. You can't find people that will work on them and when you finally DO find one, they'll say something like "if it's not under warranty, just trash it. If it is under warranty....maybe trash it anyway" and then the process of the warranty/repair will take you 8 weeks of working w/ the worst customer service people you'll ever find.

Just don't get an LG or Kenmore fridge unless you can confirm that it doesn't utilize a linear compressor setup (on the internet - the salesman largely don't know shit).

Lzen
05-28-2020, 09:30 AM
Yeah, I'm thinking I may need one of those bases, they're just damn expensive.

What I realized using them is that the key isn't the top of the bed being able to move, but the bottom. That little bit of tilt up at your feet is what really gives you the zero gravity feel. It's pretty damn nice but the really versatile and reliable ones are in the $1,200 plus range and that's just pretty steep.

Especially when my damn $3k LG fridge shit the bed for the 2nd time in 4 years. Fixable or not, that ****er is going to the curb. To answer a question that hasn't been asked DO NOT buy an LG or Kenmore (same thing) fridge w/ a linear compressor design. Not under any circumstances. That design has gotten them sued twice and yet they still use it. You can't find people that will work on them and when you finally DO find one, they'll say something like "if it's not under warranty, just trash it. If it is under warranty....maybe trash it anyway" and then the process of the warranty/repair will take you 8 weeks of working w/ the worst customer service people you'll ever find.

Just don't get an LG or Kenmore fridge unless you can confirm that it doesn't utilize a linear compressor setup (on the internet - the salesman largely don't know shit).

Wait, are you saying that LG owns Kenmore now?

DJ's left nut
05-28-2020, 09:41 AM
Wait, are you saying that LG owns Kenmore now?

Kenmore purchased their fridge's from LG starting about 10 years ago. At least their elite models are. They just re-brand them.

I don't think one owns the other, I just think Kenmore decided to re-badge LG's technology rather than develop/build their own.

<div class="tenor-gif-embed" data-postid="5056977" data-share-method="host" data-width="100%" data-aspect-ratio="2.3714285714285714"><a href="https://tenor.com/view/indiana-jones-he-chose-poorly-choice-choose-poor-gif-5056977">Indiana Jones He Chose Poorly GIF</a> from <a href="https://tenor.com/search/indianajones-gifs">Indianajones GIFs</a></div><script type="text/javascript" async src="https://tenor.com/embed.js"></script>

DJ's left nut
05-28-2020, 09:45 AM
Well hell, evidently Kenmore doesn't make ANYTHING.

https://www.goedekers.com/blog/who-makes-kenmore-appliances/

Whirlpool makes their more basic fridge models, LG the elite line. Frigidaire/electrolux as well. Whirlpool also makes almost all the rest of their stuff (washers, dryers, dishwasher, etc...)

Jesus, its no wonder Sears went under. They really mailed it in for a long time, didn't they?

Ugh...what a terrible, terrible purchase.

R Clark
05-28-2020, 09:52 AM
So I have a memory foam mattress and love it except in the summer it gets to feeling hot, could just be me as I don’t remember it being that way first couple of years?we have had it about ten years the wife is complaining of her hips hurting might be time for a new one.

Buehler445
05-28-2020, 01:45 PM
Kenmore purchased their fridge's from LG starting about 10 years ago. At least their elite models are. They just re-brand them.

I don't think one owns the other, I just think Kenmore decided to re-badge LG's technology rather than develop/build their own.

<div class="tenor-gif-embed" data-postid="5056977" data-share-method="host" data-width="100%" data-aspect-ratio="2.3714285714285714"><a href="https://tenor.com/view/indiana-jones-he-chose-poorly-choice-choose-poor-gif-5056977">Indiana Jones He Chose Poorly GIF</a> from <a href="https://tenor.com/search/indianajones-gifs">Indianajones GIFs</a></div><script type="text/javascript" async src="https://tenor.com/embed.js"></script>

So I have a buddy that works for a GE dealer in the next town these days. When I moved to Scott I bought a fridge from a local outfit before he started at the GE dealer. Ended up with an LG model. My buddy stacks the ever loving shit on me. Deep. That thing won't make it through the year, those things are garbage, hope you're OK with losing all of your stuff because it's going to shit on you.

So it's going on year 11 trouble free.

I've often considered just getting something else and sticking it in the garage as a beer fridge or something, but it seems like there is always a better place for the money.

Sidenote: I think that goddamned thing took all my luck. The longer it goes, the worst shit luck I get it seems like. Maybe I need to Frazod that bitch. ROFL

DJ's left nut
05-28-2020, 05:28 PM
So I have a buddy that works for a GE dealer in the next town these days. When I moved to Scott I bought a fridge from a local outfit before he started at the GE dealer. Ended up with an LG model. My buddy stacks the ever loving shit on me. Deep. That thing won't make it through the year, those things are garbage, hope you're OK with losing all of your stuff because it's going to shit on you.

So it's going on year 11 trouble free.

I've often considered just getting something else and sticking it in the garage as a beer fridge or something, but it seems like there is always a better place for the money.

Sidenote: I think that goddamned thing took all my luck. The longer it goes, the worst shit luck I get it seems like. Maybe I need to Frazod that bitch. ROFL

I don't know when they started the linear compressor setup.

I was reading that hoping I wasn't going to hear about how awful GE's are because I just had the new GE delivered this afternoon...

Buehler445
05-28-2020, 07:43 PM
I don't know when they started the linear compressor setup.

I was reading that hoping I wasn't going to hear about how awful GE's are because I just had the new GE delivered this afternoon...

LOL.

Not from me.

Only thing my buddy says is don’t buy GE washer/dryers. He sold me speed queen when mine I bought in college shit the bed.

threebag
05-28-2020, 11:22 PM

I hated my sleep number.

tatorhog
05-29-2020, 07:15 AM
we got a Sealy Premium with a semi-cooling feature to it. Its the black and dark gray one. Best sleep I've had in a long time. Took a month or so for the foam to limber up, but once it broke in, its nice. Got an adjustable base with it, which I wasn't sure if I would like, but I wouldn't go back to not having one now.

Oregon chief
05-29-2020, 08:25 AM
My wife and I finally replaced our 10 year old Stearns and Foster. We were thinking purple or sleep number but when we went to try the purple we didn’t like it very much. It had an almost waterbed like feel every time we moved on it. Wife is 120 and I am 180, both side sleepers. Instead we liked the Tempur-Pedic. We went big and got the luxe adapt and the adjustable base. It was spendy but I have a bad back and it was hard to consider something else after trying it out. We did a split king because we both will work at night in bed at times. It gets delivered and setup on Tuesday. I’ve never had memory foam but all the reviews on Tempur-Pedic have been really good after an adjustment period. We’ll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lzen
05-29-2020, 08:47 AM
I hated my sleep number.

Oh, finally a negative on sleep number. Why did you hate it?

Lzen
05-29-2020, 08:49 AM
we got a Sealy Premium with a semi-cooling feature to it. Its the black and dark gray one. Best sleep I've had in a long time. Took a month or so for the foam to limber up, but once it broke in, its nice. Got an adjustable base with it, which I wasn't sure if I would like, but I wouldn't go back to not having one now.

When we first bought our memory foam mattress, we bought the more expensive Sealy. This was around 8 years ago. We had it for about a month maybe (hard to remember now) but my wife wasn't as pleased with it as I was. I loved it. We returned it and got the Serta. It was good but not as good as the Sealy, IMO.