PDA

View Full Version : Money Do athlete salaries bother you?

Prison Bitch
05-28-2020, 10:54 AM
We all know it’s a free market. Capitalism y’all. But fo real, does it bother you at all?

ModSocks
05-28-2020, 10:54 AM
Nobodies salary bothers me. I'm not a hater.

ChiTown
05-28-2020, 10:55 AM
Nope - get your's when you can, while you can.

wazu
Matt Cassel's salary bothered me.

Prison Bitch

Hedge fund salaries don’t bother you?

Why Not?
05-28-2020, 10:56 AM

This. Earn what you can, while you can.

Bugeater
05-28-2020, 10:56 AM
For the most part football players' salaries don't. Those guys leave a piece of themselves on the field every time they play. Hockey players as well.

Why Not?
05-28-2020, 10:57 AM
Nope - get your's when you can, while you can.

Beat me to it.

Prison Bitch
05-28-2020, 10:59 AM
I don’t mind if Mike Trout or Lebron or Pat makes $35M. Anymore than it would Tom Cruise or Beyoncé or Madonna or whoever.

But Ian Kennedy pulling down $15 large last year? Yeah.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
05-28-2020, 10:59 AM
3-5 years in the NFL can help set them up for future success. Power on

ChiTown
05-28-2020, 11:03 AM
I don’t mind if Mike Trout or Lebron or Pat makes $35M. Anymore than it would Tom Cruise or Beyoncé or Madonna or whoever.

But Ian Kennedy pulling down $15 large last year? Yeah.

Salaries don't bother me, but how some GM's deal with their budget bugs me for sure

Kellerfox
05-28-2020, 11:04 AM
No - but it does bother me that both franchises and the league are tax exempt.

Graystoke
05-28-2020, 11:13 AM
Not a bit

Jamie
05-28-2020, 11:18 AM
In the larger sense, that the players make more because the league makes more, and the league makes more while raising ticket prices every year and forcing taxpayers to pay for their new stadiums, yes. Just on football terms, no.

duncan_idaho
05-28-2020, 11:24 AM
I am not and will not ever be bothered by players getting a fair percentage of the revenue generated by the league they drive.

Yes, costs keep going up and the teams keep making more. But let's not pretend for a second that lower player salaries across the board would decrease costs for the average consumer.

We could cut player salaries 30 percent across the board in all pro sports, but we sure as shit wouldn't see a 30 percent drop in costs to attend games.

And that's fine. Attending the games is an experience - you pay a premium for it compared to sitting on your couch or watching from the neighborhood dive bar.

kcclone
05-28-2020, 11:24 AM
I'll say this:

Generally no, it does not bother me.

It is however pretty annoying to hear MLB players whine about pay cuts and the risk they're taking considering just about everyone in our nation is in a similar situation, but with 2-3 less zeros on the end of their numbers.

Of all the sports, NFL players really are not overpaid, IMO based on the abuse their bodies take.

I think baseball players are overpaid, but maybe that's because I don't care for the sport. And I don't really care if I'm watching the best MLB players, or scrubs, it all looks the same to me.

NBA players are paid insane amounts, but let's face it, there simply aren't many people even capable of dribbling/shooting/jumping like that, especially at 6'6" +. They're simply genetic lottery winners.

smithandrew051
05-28-2020, 11:30 AM
The top few thousand best in the world at most professions are highly compensated. Why would athletes be any different?

Baby Lee
05-28-2020, 11:34 AM
From a purely personal POV, people's salaries don't 'bother me.'
But what does irk me, from a philosophical standpoint, though I don't have a remedy except to point it out when asked [as here], is that society seems to have a schizophrenia about beauty of free market capitalism, where if you are entertaining us, or offering us frivolities, the sky is the limit. Dude makes a catchy song, and makes millions off it into perpetuity. That's the awesome free market rewarding value. But if people work hard to provide something that actually improves our lives [medicine, energy, surgical technology and procedures, etc], we bitch and moan every step of the way about the greed of businessmen and corporations making money off our need for their ingenuity and innovation.
Basically, if you take the comprehensive long view, we are collectively sending a message that the only people who deserve unfettered wealth are the people who entertain and distract us, and the people who actually improve our lives need limitations on their earning potential because, ironically, we actually need the things they create.
Which I guess is fine, so long as you don't bitch when the only thing motivated people do going forward is find new ways to entertain you in a way that enriches them.

Sorce
05-28-2020, 11:35 AM

He said athletes.

Pants
05-28-2020, 11:39 AM
Of course not.

Prison Bitch
05-28-2020, 11:46 AM
But what does irk me, from a philosophical standpoint, though I don't have a remedy except to point it out when asked [as here], is that society seems to have a schizophrenia about beauty of free market capitalism, where if you are entertaining us, or offering us frivolities, the sky is the limit. Dude makes a catchy song, and makes millions off it into perpetuity. That's the awesome free market rewarding value. But if people work hard to provide something that actually improves our lives [medicine, energy, surgical technology and procedures, etc], we bitch and moan every step of the way about the greed of businessmen and corporations making money off our need for their ingenuity and innovation.
Basically, if you take the comprehensive long view, we are collectively sending a message that the only people who deserve unfettered wealth are the people who entertain and distract us, and the people who actually improve our lives need limitations on their earning potential because, ironically, we actually need the things they create.
Which I guess is fine, so long as you don't bitch when the only thing motivated people do going forward is find new ways to entertain you in a way that enriches them.

That’s kinda where I’m at. The optics of guys getting this kind of Jack when 39 million Americans were just thrown out of work.....it’s unseemly. Frankly we’ve seen that truck drivers and nurses and meat packers and grocery store workers are the most essential folks we have in a crisis.

Alas as it’s a free market, if sports takes attendance/ad hits (and that’s inevitable), salaries will trail downward.

Baby Lee
05-28-2020, 11:54 AM
That’s kinda where I’m at. The optics of guys getting this kind of Jack when 39 million Americans were just thrown out of work.....it’s unseemly. Frankly we’ve seen that truck drivers and nurses and meat packers and grocery store workers are the most essential folks we have in a crisis.

Alas as it’s a free market, if sports takes attendance/ad hits (and that’s inevitable), salaries will trail downward.

The essential nature of everyday tasks is a separate matter. I have a similar philosophical difference when people generally grouse that people like teachers, food workers, truck drivers, etc, are underpaid.

This is partially because people in general aren't willing to do what it takes to pay them handsomely. And this is partially because that unwillingness to pay 'essential' jobs handsomely stems from the fact that, just because something is necessary doesn't make it valuable.

We need 'someone' to pick vegetables, and prep food and teach kids the A,B,Cs, and transport goods across the nation. But we don't need elite or rare talent to do those things. We just need a person of average skill who is committed to showing up day after day. And we have those people as a commodity in abundance. We aren't willing to pay someone millions, or even thousands, to drive from here to there, not because we don't value the service, but because if we don't there are 100 people for each position willing and able to do the exact same thing for hundreds.

We'll pay hundreds for a single ticket to see a sports star or a singer who inspires us, because they are singular talents in our estimation. Would you be willing to shell out $15-20 every time you consume a Big Mac for the satisfaction of rewarding the people who put it on a the grill, or would walk down to the next restaurant and grab a cheaper bite to eat from someone else just as 'skilled' in placing meat on a grill, then putting it on a bun?

mschiefs1984
05-28-2020, 11:57 AM
99% of the time No I don't care how much anyone makes if they are doing well

When they are complaining about not making enough I am just like STFU pretty much anyone else would love to make what you are "suffering" through

Pablo
05-28-2020, 12:10 PM
Just as long as the owners are getting theirs. Trickle down and all that!

DaneMcCloud
05-28-2020, 12:12 PM

No, salaries will not "trail" downwards.

TV and streaming are both the future of the NFL and will far outweigh any revenue from stadiums, concessions and parking.

The NFL was already earning in excess of $8 Billion from their TV deals and they'll earn far more after new deals have been negotiated.

Salaries will continue to rise for at least the next decade and probably much longer.

Chiefspants
05-28-2020, 12:13 PM
Not in the slightest.

sully1983
05-28-2020, 12:13 PM

^^^
This. I don't pocket watch and I hope a lot of folks make as much money as possible. :thumb:

smithandrew051
05-28-2020, 12:15 PM
I think people also only think about the major team/individual sports when talking about pro athletes.

There are a lot of “pro athletes” who don’t make shit, because they play in leagues that don’t generate huge profits.

If we’re going to compare what NFL, MLB, NBA, etc players make to teachers or similar professions, then we shouldn’t compare them to the teachers at your local public elementary school. We should compare them to teachers with doctorates at the elite level selective prep schools. Obviously, these athletes will still be paid more but it’s a more accurate comparison.

TomBarndtsTwin
05-28-2020, 12:16 PM
A lot of these salaries 'bother me', but again we live in a free market so the market determines what people our worth, fair or not fair.

I would argue for a pay for performance model, that way guys that have earned it right out of the gate can get the big bucks early instead of being stuck under some rookie wage scale and the guys that ink the big FA deal and then disappear can have their salary reduced accordingly (there is obviously some ability to do this in football, but in basketball and baseball all parties are mostly 'stuck' with the deal that was signed).

I also realize there is no way this would ever fly as neither players nor owners would go for this model for a lot of reasons. But it would be the most 'fair' to all parties.

Prison Bitch
05-28-2020, 12:17 PM
No, salaries will not "trail" downwards.

TV and streaming are both the future of the NFL and will far outweigh any revenue from stadiums, concessions and parking.

The NFL was already earning in excess of $8 Billion from their TV deals and they'll earn far more after new deals have been negotiated.

Salaries will continue to rise for at least the next decade and probably much longer.

I don’t think that’s true at all. The gate is 40-50% of sports revenue and that’s gonna take a massive hit. The MLB negotiations right now are stalled because they can’t calc what the empty seats should cost the players.

Bill Brasky
05-28-2020, 12:18 PM

That’s a strange way to look at two things that aren’t at all connected. There are ways to help those 39M unemployed Americans, but then we’re in DC territory.

Gravedigger
Meh, life is about finding opportunities. They were blessed with athletic gift so they're making the most of it while putting their bodies on the line. Wish I would've taken athletics more seriously in my junior high days and maybe I would've made something of myself in that way. Beats the hell out of what I'm doing currently.

ChiefBlueCFC
No, not in the slightest. I think if the amount of money someone makes really bothers someone, it says more about that person than anything else.

LiveSteam
05-28-2020, 12:24 PM
Ummm. NO!

DaneMcCloud
05-28-2020, 12:33 PM
I don’t think that’s true at all. The gate is 40-50% of sports revenue and that’s gonna take a massive hit.

No, it is not.

The NFL earned more than $12 billion in revenue last year. If there are no fans in the stands this season, each team will lose approximately $100 million or $3.2 billion in total. That's only 25% of their entire revenue stream and moving forward, that percentage will only shrink, not grow.

The MLB negotiations right now are stalled because they can’t calc what the empty seats should cost the players.

There are more reasons that just stadium issue.

Furthermore, attendance has been consistently shrinking for the past decade, a trend that will only continue as 4K and 8K TV's become less expensive and higher internet speeds produce an even better home experience.

The owners are well aware of this trend, which is why they wanted a new CBA in place before they begin their next round of network and streaming negotiations.

Their revenue stream is only going to increase, not decrease.

Rain Man
05-28-2020, 12:41 PM
Only when they're under the table to avoid the salary cap.

Buehler445
05-28-2020, 12:42 PM
Nope. Not at all. Not even a little bit.

But I’ll push back when they whine about it.

JakeF
05-28-2020, 12:54 PM
For the most part football players' salaries don't. Those guys leave a piece of themselves on the field every time they play. Hockey players as well.
Baseball players on the other hand ... Golfers? LMAO

JakeF
05-28-2020, 01:04 PM
Truth That Hurts: America would be better off if Teachers, Farmers, Engineers, and Scientists got paid the big money instead of athletes though. That goes for all the money wasted on actors too.

The important list should include World Leaders(politicians etc) too but since they suck so bad i just couldn't bring myself to add them to the "good" list.

DaneMcCloud
05-28-2020, 01:13 PM
Truth That Hurts: America would be better off if Teachers, Farmers, Engineers, and Scientists got paid the big money instead of athletes though. That goes for all the money wasted on actors too.

:facepalm:

You obviously have no idea why athletes and entertainers earn large salaries

KurtCobain
05-28-2020, 01:15 PM
Go and get your money little dufflebag boy.

TwistedChief
05-28-2020, 01:18 PM
Hedge fund salaries don’t bother you?

Why are hedge fund salaries problematic?

Dunerdr
05-28-2020, 01:20 PM
No, I'm an electrician, and as one i understand that my value is directly related to my skills and the competing market. I currently make 31 and change in the tulsa market. Recently with so much boom, two of our union contractors offered 2 dollars more an hour and 200 a week attendance pay if i have an osha 30 and a few other education stipulations. I understand that if i furthered my education in electical testing or many other parts of the field i could gain more pay. The same can be said for athletes. They are the best of the best out of a very small pool of human beings who can do what they do. I pay to see them in one sense or another, so that creates a demand.

Theres an available money pool vs an available talent pool. Both sides have leverage and negotiate a deal. As far as im concerned its no more my buisness how much they make than it is how much the tin knocker in the next room makes. He also has a demand that he supplies and is compensated for it.

Lzen
05-28-2020, 01:25 PM

I'll agree with your point but there is more to it. For instance, a pharmaceutical company gets to lobby our politicians and money gets fed to them to allow us to be screwed over. Those are the kinds of things with which I don't agree.

A couple of examples:
My understanding was that a new drug's patent is only supposed to last a few years, by law, before other companies can start making generic versions. It seems to me that Nexium (Astra Zeneca?) went way longer than that before generics started being allowed about 2-3 years ago.
Another example is the life-saving epi-pen treatment that was acquired and then the cost raised by several hundred percent several years ago. I don't know that there was anything legally wrong by that but, it was morally corrupt, in my view.
Same thing with the idiots at the beginning of this pandemic who bought up all the hand sanitizer, masks, and other potentially life-saving products just to cause a shortage and be able to sell for a markup. Those people can rot in Hell for all I care.

Prison Bitch
05-28-2020, 01:27 PM
No, it is not.

The NFL earned more than $12 billion in revenue last year. If there are no fans in the stands this season, each team will lose approximately $100 million or $3.2 billion in total. That's only 25% of their entire revenue stream and moving forward, that percentage will only shrink, not grow.

Dane, I said “sports”, not NFL. Sports revenue collectively derives 40-50% of its gate from attendance, concessions, suites, etc. (Take the Indy 500 which I attended every year: $40M gate, $4M tv deal. Do the math). Golf, tennis, college sports on and on rely on butts in the seats.

There are more reasons that just stadium issue.

Furthermore, attendance has been consistently shrinking for the past decade, a trend that will only continue as 4K and 8K TV's become less expensive and higher internet speeds produce an even better home experience.

The owners are well aware of this trend, which is why they wanted a new CBA in place before they begin their next round of network and streaming negotiations.

Their revenue stream is only going to increase, not decrease.

And that’s where my 2nd point comes in: ad revenue. It’s olummeted across all media platforms. Sports cannot delay this reckoning.

MahiMike
05-28-2020, 01:33 PM
No such thing as overpaid.

Abba-Dabba
05-28-2020, 01:35 PM
capitalism always wins

Pasta Little Brioni
05-28-2020, 01:37 PM
It's an absolute joke, but whatever

DaneMcCloud
05-28-2020, 01:57 PM
Dane, I said “sports”, not NFL. Sports revenue collectively derives 40-50% of its gate from attendance, concessions, suites, etc. (Take the Indy 500 which I attended every year: $40M gate, $4M tv deal. Do the math). Golf, tennis, college sports on and on rely on butts in the seats.

Adding in NASCAR, NHRA and Indy Car racing completely skews the comparison because as we all know, NASCAR is the largest spectator sport in the world, but their TV revenues are a fraction of what the NFL, NBA and MLB receive each year.

And if you're throwing in college athletics, the dynamic changes once again. There have been several universities that have decided to drop sports altogether because so much of their funding relies on their students, who may or may not attend their chosen universities this year or next or the year after.

But if you're talking strictly the NFL, MLB and NBA, they can all survive and thrive without people in the stands, which is where things are headed and why the new LA stadium seats 70,000 instead of 80,000-100,000.

DaneMcCloud
05-28-2020, 01:59 PM
It's an absolute joke, but whatever

What's a joke?

Do you believe that advertisers pay too much money to broadcasters, which in turn pay the NFL, MLB and NBA for broadcast rights?

Should these owners keep all of that revenue for themselves and pay the players a pittance so you can feel better about your life?

Prison Bitch
05-28-2020, 02:21 PM
Adding in NASCAR, NHRA and Indy Car racing completely skews the comparison because as we all know, NASCAR is the largest spectator sport in the world, but their TV revenues are a fraction of what the NFL, NBA and MLB receive each year.

Nobody’s talking about the effect a lack of fans will have on broadcasts. I tune into see the players yes but also the EVENT. I like to see the tomahawk chop, the crowd roaring, players celebrating etc. I predict empty venues will lessen TV ratings.

And if you're throwing in college athletics, the dynamic changes once again. There have been several universities that have decided to drop sports altogether because so much of their funding relies on their students, who may or may not attend their chosen universities this year or next or the year after.

No school is axing the 2 revenue sports.

But if you're talking strictly the NFL, MLB and NBA, they can all survive and thrive without people in the stands, which is where things are headed and why the new LA stadium seats 70,000 instead of 80,000-100,000.

Yes and no. Teams can’t sell nosebleeds anymore when folks have home theaters. But they depend on the lower bowl and suites, absolutely.

neech
05-28-2020, 03:15 PM
I can't sleep at night because it makes me so angry.

Johnny Vegas
05-28-2020, 03:22 PM
That’s just business I want no part of. Found out early in my working career talking about salaries and wages just created drama. You deserve what you’ve earned.

ThyKingdomCome15
05-28-2020, 03:40 PM
Being rich can be a curse of it's own.

DaneMcCloud
05-28-2020, 04:07 PM
I predict empty venues will lessen TV ratings.

I cannot disagree more with this statement.

For example, a dopey golf game last weekend had more than 6 million viewers on Sunday because people are starved for any sporting event.

The NFL is going to set viewing records this Fall.

No school is axing the 2 revenue sports.

Universities and colleges across the country have begun dropping sports due to the pandemic. Now, Power 5 schools haven't announced they're dropping sports but several smaller schools have already begun that process.

Yes and no. Teams can’t sell nosebleeds anymore when folks have home theaters. But they depend on the lower bowl and suites, absolutely.

If you're Jerry World, yeah, he depends on suite money, as do other owners across the league that own their own stadiums. But that revenue stream will be the last to disappear because unlike the upper decks, there's a certain amount of cachet attached to suites.

The NFL is already planning ways to replace the in-stadium revenue stream with advertising and the biggie, legalized gambling.

scho63
05-28-2020, 04:26 PM
I've never been bothered by it in my 50 years of watching sports.

I will say I am always intrigues and surprised a guy like Matt Cassel got paid for as long as he did but that's on the teams.

Also, no one may ever come close to the crazy deal Bobby Bonilla managed from the Mets by still getting paid like 25 years AFTER he retired.

kc rush
05-28-2020, 04:30 PM
Their salaries don't bother me at all. It does bother me when they bitch about it though.

JohnnyHammersticks
05-28-2020, 05:03 PM
The only people who are bothered by athletes' salaries are haters who didn't make anything out of their own lives.

BWillie
05-28-2020, 05:10 PM
Nope. It does bother me when ppl like Draymond or LeBron complain that its like slave mentality or bitch about how much they make. Mother****ers out here working in the streets trying to feed their family would kill to be in the place you are and some athletes are equating to to slaves. Just a slap in the face to the working man and so disrespectful to actual slaves.

Then Aaron Rodgers is bitching out on social media trying to get the CBA to not go thru when the new CBA is such a huge benefit for 80% of NFL players who will be outta the leage on avg in 2 yrs. Then acting like his actions are selfless.

seclark
05-28-2020, 06:03 PM
I guess bitch even earns it’s money
Don’t bother me
sec

PHOG
05-28-2020, 06:08 PM
The only way it possibly bothers me, would be the contribution to higher ticket prices. But they are not the sole factor in ticket prices, so no.

Red Dawg
05-28-2020, 06:48 PM
Salaries don't but their greed and whiny bitch attitudes do.

Bearcat
05-28-2020, 06:49 PM
It's the trickle down effect that bugs me..... 50% of live sporting events are commercials despite already paying for the cable/satellite, where the channel lineup can change at any time depending on when contracts run out and one side wants to hold out.... paying $50+ to park at an event, etc, etc.

It's a cash cow, and everyone who stands to profit inside said cow should get their part of it while they can... it just sucks when the greed is so blatant as to fuck your customers from behind and they can't do a damn thing about it as long as they want your product.

<div class="tenor-gif-embed" data-postid="15754638" data-share-method="host" data-width="25%" data-aspect-ratio="1.3351206434316354"><a href="https://tenor.com/view/capitalism-communism-must-crush-lenin-russia-gif-15754638">Capitalism Communism GIF</a> from <a href="https://tenor.com/search/capitalism-gifs">Capitalism GIFs</a></div><script type="text/javascript" async src="https://tenor.com/embed.js"></script>

Prison Bitch
05-28-2020, 07:18 PM
Anyone remember Juan Gonzalez? Played 30G for Royals in 04 and made 4.5M. Quit on the team with a mystery “injury” mid season. In 2005 he signed for $600k with Cleveland and hurt himself again - in his only AB! Quit again.

Come on. Don’t any of you tell me he earned his salaries. That’s bullshit.

TimeForWasp
05-28-2020, 07:19 PM
They are going to price me out of the stadium. Already have actually.

crayzkirk
05-28-2020, 07:20 PM
Player salaries don't bother me. Corporate executives that constantly run companies into bankruptcy and raid pension plans while getting a bonus bother me. We as sports fans are the consumers of sports and through our actions support the salaries.

Get what you can get. For participants of contact sports, there is a real danger that the players will suffer life changing injuries.

Life isn't fair; so what? That's life!

Dayze
05-28-2020, 07:25 PM
I don’t mind a bit. But I also don’t think just because someone is a bazillioaire that it means they are some sort of expert on politics or social shit. The only thing that irks me is millionaire athlete trying to tell people how they should think or act

TimeForWasp
05-28-2020, 07:26 PM
I think I'll take a social shit.

hometeam
05-28-2020, 07:43 PM
free market

Prison Bitch
05-28-2020, 08:01 PM
I don’t mind a bit. But I also don’t think just because someone is a bazillioaire that it means they are some sort of expert on politics or social shit. The only thing that irks me is millionaire athlete trying to tell people how they should think or act

Good point. Rep.

Chiefaholic
05-28-2020, 08:33 PM
Some of you are stating "take all you can get while you can". Lets say you, as a die hard Chief fan, are a gifted athlete and have two offers on the table. One is from your lifelong favorite team, Kansas City, who offer you a three year contract averaging $8.5 million. The other is from the LV Raiders as a three year deal averaging $9 million. Which do you accept?

DaneMcCloud
05-28-2020, 08:37 PM
Some of you are stating "take all you can get while you can". Lets say you, as a die hard Chief fan, are a gifted athlete and have two offers on the table. One is from your lifelong favorite team, Kansas City, who offer you a three year contract averaging $8.5 million. The other is from the LV Raiders as a three year deal averaging $9 million. Which do you accept?

As a businessman, I take the Vegas offer because there's no state income tax.

scho63
05-28-2020, 08:46 PM
free market

/thread :clap:

Prison Bitch
05-28-2020, 10:12 PM
If anyone ever bitched about a player and referenced his salary, he is barred from choosing “0”

Tribal Warfare
05-28-2020, 10:30 PM
Players greed irritates me, like the Prescott bullshit.

KregWillis
05-29-2020, 01:13 AM
It doesn't bother me unlike salaries of medical staff and teachers that are underestimated.

BWillie
05-29-2020, 02:19 AM
It doesn't bother me unlike salaries of medical staff and teachers that are underestimated.

I think teachers are overestimated. They work 9 months out of the year. The ones below HS level are just glorified baby sitters. 40k a year is good enough. 70k in expensive areas.

PunkinDrublic
05-29-2020, 03:11 AM
People who are in the top one percent of what they do in their field usually make the big bucks more times than not. If I won the genetic lottery and had the skills to match I would try to maximize it too.

Prison Bitch
05-29-2020, 10:06 AM
People who are in the top one percent of what they do in their field usually make the big bucks more times than not. If I won the genetic lottery and had the skills to match I would try to maximize it too.

There is no profession where the top 1% pulls in millions of dollars. Maybe surgeons, but even they only avg $230k

https://www.indeed.com/career/surgeon/salaries

jjchieffan
05-29-2020, 10:36 AM
I have a mixed answer. I have no problem with a pro athlete making millions and being setup for life. That's great. The player has a talent. They get injured fairly often. The teams make huge sums of money off of them. They deserve to be paid well. Where my problem lies is on the top end. In particular, the quarterbacks. Dak Prescott turned down $175 million over 5 years. Why?? That is more money than he can ever spend. If you can't spend it, then why do you want it? The team has a salary floor, so they will spend that money regardless. Let them use the money to build a better team around you. I feel like if I was in his position, and had his talent, I would say guarantee me 5 years and $150 million. After that, I would be set for life. Why would I want or need any more? At the end of the 5 years, do it again, for the same money. It's a win-win. You only take away from your team and don't improve your life one bit fighting for more when you're talking about that kind of money.

DaneMcCloud
05-29-2020, 10:39 AM
I think teachers are overestimated. They work 9 months out of the year. The ones below HS level are just glorified baby sitters.

Clearly spoken by someone that doesn't have children

PAChiefsGuy
05-29-2020, 11:05 AM
Why would it bother me if someone makes a lot of money? Good for them.. Im happy to see so many young millionaires I think that's awesome

chiefzilla1501
05-29-2020, 12:12 PM
A bad athlete contract hurts but it's gone after a few years.

Owners like the Ford family can be grossly incompetent and not only get paid for decades, but make a bazillion dollars. And it's almost impossible to get rid of them. Best you can hope for is that the son or daughter is less of an idiot.

When players make less, owners make more. And when owners have no downside to lousy performance it tells you that owners, not players, are overpaid.

Pablo
05-29-2020, 05:33 PM
A bad athlete contract hurts but it's gone after a few years.

Owners like the Ford family can be grossly incompetent and not only get paid for decades, but make a bazillion dollars. And it's almost impossible to get rid of them. Best you can hope for is that the son or daughter is less of an idiot.

When players make less, owners make more. And when owners have no downside to lousy performance it tells you that owners, not players, are overpaid.

Yeah, but have you thought about the risk they take on owning these behemoth sports franchises???

kcclone
05-29-2020, 05:50 PM

^Yep

I used to think the exact same way about teachers. Then I had kids.

Chiefspants
05-29-2020, 06:00 PM
I think teachers are overestimated. They work 9 months out of the year. The ones below HS level are just glorified baby sitters. 40k a year is good enough. 70k in expensive areas.

Dude! Then compensate me like a baby-sitter, brosky.

Average per kid rate in KC is 10.57 an hour per kid. Hell, I'll even be nice, I'll only charge half of that for the students I saw on the daily (I'll round down, too. Let's do 5.25 an hour.) I had 113 students, so that looks like that translates to a cool $593.25 a day. Since we only get compensated for the time we work anyway, I'll spread that out over nine months like you asked. That translates to roughly... $94,667 a year.

Damn - gimme some of that glorified baby sitter compensation, BWillie!

Eleazar
05-29-2020, 06:03 PM
No. You're paid based on how much money you bring in. You're worth it if you're worth it.

eDave
05-29-2020, 06:07 PM
Some guy on Yahoo said since Mahomes already won us a Superbowl, we should cut him and use the money to build a better team.

Yea.

chiefzilla1501
05-29-2020, 06:34 PM
Yeah, but have you thought about the risk they take on owning these behemoth sports franchises???

Yup, must be tough. So risky that they're all unanimously afraid to sell.

Prison Bitch
05-29-2020, 07:08 PM
No. You're paid based on how much money you bring in. You're worth it if you're worth it.

Ian Kennedy doesn’t bring anyone in. Neither did Eric Berry sitting in his street clothes.

neech
05-29-2020, 07:20 PM
I get enraged just thinking about how much those athletes make a year.

Chargem
05-30-2020, 03:01 PM
can you make a poll about how people feel about polls that ask people to rate things on a 0 - 10 scale and then only give 6 numeric options?

Prison Bitch
05-30-2020, 07:22 PM
can you make a poll about how people feel about polls that ask people to rate things on a 0 - 10 scale and then only give 6 numeric options?

What, were you feeling a 3.14159 PI kinda figure on this one?

raidersnumber1
05-30-2020, 07:38 PM
As a doctor, it definitely does bother me. Went to school for a decade only to be burdened with long hours of work, student loans, and taxes, meanwhile these braindead retards make millions of dollars while barely being able to spell their own name.

Pablo
05-30-2020, 08:17 PM
Lol there's never been a doctor that's a Raiders fan. Shit you can't find a Raiders fan with a 700 plus credit score.

Mahomes_Is_God
05-30-2020, 08:20 PM
As a doctor, it definitely does bother me. Went to school for a decade only to be burdened with long hours of work, student loans, and taxes, meanwhile these braindead retards make millions of dollars while barely being able to spell their own name.

Knowing how to properly inject heroin into one's arm does not equate to being a doctor.

eDave
05-30-2020, 08:36 PM
Other athletes are for sure.

TwistedChief
05-30-2020, 08:54 PM

Sounds like you might actually be the braindead retard in this scenario. You should've just declared for the NFL rather than the Devry School of Dermatology.

eDave
05-30-2020, 08:59 PM

Inferior genetics. Be pissed about that. In fact, if you use one of those family tree programs you can immediately trace that to your parents. Go further and it leads you to God. Direct your jealousy towards Him.

OR, shut the **** up and enjoy the blessings you have. Blessings that are far greater than a large majority of people.

ljmhawk
05-30-2020, 11:07 PM
i believe ER doctors, surgeons etc should make more than athletes and other celebrities but it is what what it is.

Chiefshrink
05-31-2020, 12:12 AM
Nope !! What would guys like Mays, Mantle, Koufax, Jim Brown, W Chamberlain, etc... be worth today had they had FA open market opportunities ?

njchiefs
05-31-2020, 09:04 AM
Do I think any athlete, celebrity, CEO, hedge fund jock is important enough to make that kind of money? No. Do I think an elite cardio-thoracic surgeon is more important than Patrick Mahomes? Yes. Would I rather be at Arrowhead watching the Chiefs and PM15 than in a surgical theatre watching an open heart procedure. Yes. Does any of this bother me. No.

raidersnumber1
05-31-2020, 11:44 AM
Lol there's never been a doctor that's a Raiders fan. Shit you can't find a Raiders fan with a 700 plus credit score.

now let's see yours

https://i.imgur.com/Gszxxqo.png

Pablo
05-31-2020, 02:21 PM
now let's see yours

https://i.imgur.com/Gszxxqo.png

Nobody believes that screenshot is yours or that you are anything more than a trashman. Such is life for Raiders fans, you chose to be one now accept everything that comes with it.

raidersnumber1
05-31-2020, 03:44 PM
Nobody believes that screenshot is yours or that you are anything more than a trashman. Such is life for Raiders fans, you chose to be one now accept everything that comes with it.

If that makes you sleep better at night, so be it. I'm not going to waste my time e-fighting with you and stoop to your level. :D

Spott
05-31-2020, 03:54 PM
If that makes you sleep better at night, so be it. I'm not going to waste my time e-fighting with you and stoop to your level. :D

Instead you are spending your time trolling another team’s message board because your own team is too sad and irrelevant to talk about. Good to know that you wouldn’t stoop to anyone’s level around here. :rolleyes:

TwistedChief
05-31-2020, 04:45 PM

...says the Raiders fan on a Chiefs message board who just shoved his chest out by posting his credit score. Will you provide us with your SATs next please?

rabblerouser
05-31-2020, 04:47 PM

Fair.

rabblerouser
05-31-2020, 04:48 PM

We pay extra for my kid to go to a private school. Those teachers are worth every penny they make.

rabblerouser
05-31-2020, 04:49 PM
...says the Raiders fan on a Chiefs message board who just shoved his chest out by posting his credit score. Will you provide us with your SATs next please?

If that's really his, mine has to be in the 900s. TwistedChief's must be in the 1800's...

Pablo
05-31-2020, 04:57 PM
I'm kinda giggling at the thought of a fan having a heart attack during a shit-ass Raiders game and somebody yelling out "Is anybody here a doctor??"

I think we're looking at a 30 min response time for that poor soul.

Somebody locks their keys in the car and needs help breaking into it in the parking lot? That problem is solved in no less than 30 seconds.

RaidersOftheCellar
06-01-2020, 08:24 PM
It doesn’t make sense to have zero problem with it. That’s equivalent to saying that you don’t want to see maximum competitiveness and effort.

We’ve all seen what tends to happen after the big payday. Imagine the effort and training camp battles if these guys were paid “normal” salaries.

DaneMcCloud
06-01-2020, 08:28 PM
We pay extra for my kid to go to a private school. Those teachers are worth every penny they make.

My kids went to a private fine arts preschool and have been in an excellent charter system, in which the parents donate not only a lot of money, but at least 100 hours of service, and it's worth every cent and every second.

Great teachers make all the difference in the world to children of all ages.

RaidersOftheCellar
06-01-2020, 08:30 PM

Hate to break it to you, but if you’re a conventional doc, you’re overpaid too. Searching WebMD and writing a script to treat a symptom doesn’t require a genius.

Try actually discovering the root cause and curing someone for once. Novel concept, and one you were never taught, I know.

CarlosCarson27
06-01-2020, 09:14 PM
The truth is they arent making as much as the media says.

They're making alot, sure. But I guarantee the Trout's and Bradys, aren't making triple digit millions.,or what ever it is.

The numbers are quoted as clues to other things.

What owner would pay a dumb jock 100 million or more? There's no need to. It's just childish to believe that.

crazycoffey
06-01-2020, 11:33 PM

Hater.....

Jesus Christ
06-01-2020, 11:43 PM
I'm not bothered as long as they tithe.

crazycoffey
06-01-2020, 11:45 PM
Out of curiosity; where’s the thread about beef prices? Among other produce.. They go up and down through the years.... AND in a capitalist market.....

Oh ok; did any bull breeding capitalist pigs make some beef available that looked and tasted better than other beef?

Oh yeah..... they have marketed that.

Soooo. Some beef sides are worth more than other beef sides?

Well; Mahomes is the newest replacement to corn feed beef and then Kobe beef, You pay more to get more.....

I just can only watch in some ways; as the prices go up and up and up. I’ve never had Kobe beef. Never even seen it.

Yup, capitalism is great, and in a way, it’s made America great. But with the price of some things going up and up, I do not look forward to the idea - I might not be able to afford Kobe beef.

We’re not that close to that scenario yet though, right? So go get all you can, before it is that scenario.....

crazycoffey
06-01-2020, 11:46 PM
I'm not bothered as long as they tithe.

We all tithe to our own gods, even if we don’t realize or mean to.

eDave
06-02-2020, 12:02 AM
Hater.....

Yea. I'm not bothered a bit about his. I'm pretty damned impressed he pulled that off actually.

TwistedChief
06-02-2020, 01:12 AM
Out of curiosity; where’s the thread about beef prices? Among other produce.. They go up and down through the years.... AND in a capitalist market.....

Oh ok; did any bull breeding capitalist pigs make some beef available that looked and tasted better than other beef?

Oh yeah..... they have marketed that.

Soooo. Some beef sides are worth more than other beef sides?

Well; Mahomes is the newest replacement to corn feed beef and then Kobe beef, You pay more to get more.....

I just can only watch in some ways; as the prices go up and up and up. I’ve never had Kobe beef. Never even seen it.

Yup, capitalism is great, and in a way, it’s made America great. But with the price of some things going up and up, I do not look forward to the idea - I might not be able to afford Kobe beef.

We’re not that close to that scenario yet though, right? So go get all you can, before it is that scenario.....

I applaud you for choosing a handle that so accurately represents this post.

SuperBowl4
06-02-2020, 01:30 AM
I'm not bothered as long as they tithe.Hello Jesus. Why did you wait until now to come back? Is something bad about to happen?

Jesus Christ
06-02-2020, 06:57 PM
Hello Jesus. Why did you wait until now to come back? Is something bad about to happen?

:evil:

CoMoChief
06-02-2020, 11:27 PM
Nope. Make as much as you can while you can. Nothing wrong with that, and it's really none of my business discussing someone else's financials.

Only time I may have some issue related to pro athlete's salary is when they complain.

I don't wanna hear that shit. Same with politics. They're a form of entertainment., nothing more. That's why unless I personally know the guy, I don't have any ounce of emotional attachment to any pro athlete.

Some people make it this big ****in thing when an athlete dies, most recently Kobe Bryant. I have a friend who literally almost started crying when he heard the news and confirmed said news was legit/real. (At first we didn't know if news was real because the Twitter handle posting it was not heard of before). Certainly a sad story for sure, and I felt bad for the family, the daughter etc. But I'll be honest I was tired of hearing about it by the end of the next day or so, and after that decided not to turn the TV onto sports for a couple/few wks.

Personally I don't care much about these guy's personal lives/what they do off the field, what kind of trouble they get into, what they buy etc. Not any of my biz.

Just play, get paid, entertain and stfu.

RustShack
06-03-2020, 04:59 PM
I haven’t read much of this thread.

Does what they get paid bother me? No

Do I think they are over paid? Yes

Would I rather the money go to the owners? No

I think the biggest problem is what we are charged for cable/dish/tickets and so on.

Do I pay it? Yes

DaneMcCloud
06-03-2020, 05:23 PM
I think the biggest problem is what we are charged for cable/dish/tickets and so on.

Nope.

Athletes are paid handsomely due to the league's TV contracts. More viewers equal more advertising dollars which in turn lead to larger Broadcast Rights fees.

If the NFL, NBA or MLB were less popular, thus less eyeballs on their broadcasts, the athletes would be paid far less, like those in the MLS.

But the NFL remains the TV Ratings king and there are no other programs that have the kind of reach that the NFL has each and every year, and look no further than the 2019 NFL season, which had 41 of the top 50 rated broadcasts.

There's no one to "blame" for athlete's salary other than the fans themselves. Outside of the 16 games aired on ESPN, all of the other 240 regular season games are broadcast on Free Over-The-Air networks, not including the playoffs and Super Bowl, which are also aired on Free TV.

RustShack
06-03-2020, 05:36 PM
Nope.

Athletes are paid handsomely due to the league's TV contracts. More viewers equal more advertising dollars which in turn lead to larger Broadcast Rights fees.

If the NFL, NBA or MLB were less popular, thus less eyeballs on their broadcasts, the athletes would be paid far less, like those in the MLS.

But the NFL remains the TV Ratings king and there are no other programs that have the kind of reach that the NFL has each and every year, and look no further than the 2019 NFL season, which had 41 of the top 50 rated broadcasts.

There's no one to "blame" for athlete's salary other than the fans themselves. Outside of the 16 games aired on ESPN, all of the other 240 regular season games are broadcast on Free Over-The-Air networks, not including the playoffs and Super Bowl, which are also aired on Free TV.

That was my point... we are over charged all around. I’m not complaining and I obviously pay it like everyone else. Just answering the question. It doesn’t bother me what they are paid, just stating the fact the owners, cable companies, And businesses who pay for advertising and so on make more than they should off of us. It is what it is and won’t change, so I’m glad the athletes are getting a bigger chunk rather than all of it going to the owners.

DaneMcCloud
06-03-2020, 06:09 PM
That was my point... we are over charged all around. I’m not complaining and I obviously pay it like everyone else. Just answering the question. It doesn’t bother me what they are paid, just stating the fact the owners, cable companies, And businesses who pay for advertising and so on make more than they should off of us. It is what it is and won’t change, so I’m glad the athletes are getting a bigger chunk rather than all of it going to the owners.

Dude, what the fuck? You don’t NEED cable in order to watch NFL games.

If a game is on ESPN but in your team’s viewing area, you can watch it for free.

You’re just totally missing the point.

RustShack
06-03-2020, 06:16 PM
Dude, what the fuck? You don’t NEED cable in order to watch NFL games.

If a game is on ESPN but in your team’s viewing area, you can watch it for free.

You’re just totally missing the point.

I think you’re missing the point. You’re too focused on the cable part. And it’s not really even that big of a deal to me, just more pointing out why they are paid what they are paid.

DaneMcCloud
06-03-2020, 07:50 PM
I think you’re missing the point. You’re too focused on the cable part. And it’s not really even that big of a deal to me, just more pointing out why they are paid what they are paid.

No, you're NOT pointing out how they're paid. You're missing the point in its entirety.

That said, have a great night!