PDA

View Full Version : Football How will the Goodell statement impact the NFL near-term?

jerryaldini
06-05-2020, 06:56 PM
What's the near-term impact on the league of Goodell's surprisingly clear and forceful statement?

Do you believe certain owners (e.g. Jones, Snyder) will push back? Any indication owners were consulted?

Will Bienemy and other minorities get fast tracked now? Will players use their newfound leverage to demand this and other change? Any threat of an impasse with owners refusing to concede changes in hiring policy, allowing protest, the league funding initiatives?

Will unity among players increase or will there be a clear divide among them? Are the Chiefs with their player and executive leadership better positioned to manage this?

Any significant impact on the NFL’s global brand and revenues? Discuss.

KC_Connection
06-05-2020, 07:53 PM
The NFL won’t change much at all. Goodell is making a PR statement and hoping it blows over (which it will).

Still, I don’t expect they will be able to maintain their ridiculous ban on kneeling. It’s too visible.

DaneMcCloud
06-05-2020, 07:57 PM
Goodell and the owners had no choice.

Either they endorse the player's position or say bye-bye to their new TV contracts.

Don't fool yourselves, though: This had nothing to do with the owners suddenly realizing that they themselves have been part of the systemic racism that the players have been protesting.

Look no further than their failed idea to give draft pick compensation to teams that would hire a black GM or head coach, which just happened LAST WEEK.

comochiefsfan
06-05-2020, 07:57 PM
Good on the NFL and good on the players.

The only people this will offend are the ones that the NFL shouldn’t want associated with their product anyway.

For sensible human beings who value positive changes in society, this should be a fantastic move for the league.

smithandrew051
06-05-2020, 08:02 PM
After kickoff, no one will care

Deberg_1990
06-05-2020, 08:27 PM
Either they endorse the player's position or say bye-bye to their new TV contracts.

Yea, i figured it had to be something to do with money of course.

Still shocked to see it. I still dont agree with kneeling for the flag, but i agree with the cause.

I wonder if this was a united all 32 team decision to apologize?

jerryaldini
06-05-2020, 08:38 PM
Yea, i figured it had to be something to do with money of course.

Still shocked to see it. I still dont agree with kneeling for the flag, but i agree with the cause.

I wonder if this was a united all 32 team decision to apologize?

Yeah I'm anxious to see how many owners were consulted and are on board. Just heard Warrick Dunn, part owner of the falcons, say he believes Goodell has come around and is sincere. I'd love to see this be then end of Jones.

Tribal Warfare
06-05-2020, 08:40 PM
Goodell and the owners had no choice.

Don't fool yourselves, though: This had nothing to do with the owners suddenly realizing that they themselves have been part of the systemic racism that the players have been protesting.

Look no further than their failed idea to give draft pick compensation to teams that would hire a black GM or head coach, which just happened LAST WEEK.

long term it'll negatively affect revenue flow, because if the SJW stuff is shoved in the fans ad nauseam people will stop going to games and watching the NFL in general.

It's a very delicate issue placate the product or the consumer concerning maximum profit.

DaneMcCloud
06-05-2020, 08:43 PM
long term it'll negatively affect revenue flow, because if the SJW stuff is shoved in the fans ad nauseam people will stop going to games and watching the NFL in general.

It's a very delicate issue placate the product or the consumer concerning maximum profit.

I don't think it'll matter one bit.

Our nation is ready for normalcy and starved for sports.

Once Training Camps open and preseason games air, the ratings will be sky high.

Hoopsdoc
06-05-2020, 08:44 PM
Well, I imagine the anthem controversy is over now. No one will breathlessly cover what’s allowed and even encouraged by the league.

Wisconsin_Chief
06-05-2020, 08:49 PM
I hate to use this phrase, but it is what it is.

Whatever gets people to stop burning down buildings. I'm a 35 year old lower middle class white male living in Green Bay, WI. I lost my job in advertising when the Covid panic hit and was lucky enough to fall into another (albeit slightly lower paying) job. My wife wasn't so lucky as she lost her position as a music instructor. We have two young boys who are going stir crazy.

Forgive me if I don't get elbows deep into caring about all this. I've never discriminated, harmed or even so much as wished harm on anyone due to their race. I'm just trying to get by in my own life and just want to watch football as an escape. They can protest whatever they want. I won't pretend to care either way.

DaneMcCloud
06-05-2020, 08:50 PM
Beside the fact that the country has moved on from 2016, there are a metric fuckton of exciting stories yet to be told in the 2020 season.

Tom Brady and the Bucs. Will the Chiefs repeat? Will Lamar Jackson take another leap?

How about Kyler Murray and the Cardinals, now with DeAndre Hopkins and Larry Fitzgerald?

Tua and the 7-9 Dolphins. Do they make a playoff push? Is the Patriots Dynasty dead or does Belichick pull another rabbit out of his hat?

Some people might bitch, because they're fucking bitches, but gamblers, Fantasy Football players and fans will watch in record numbers this year.

displacedinMN
06-05-2020, 08:53 PM
I hated the comment in DC that Minnesota will win a SB now. that is not right. I can always say KC did it first.

I do think ours was fair and honest.

Hoopsdoc
06-05-2020, 08:54 PM
I hate to use this phrase, but it is what it is.

Whatever gets people to stop burning down buildings. I'm a 35 year old lower middle class white male living in Green Bay, WI. I lost my job in advertising when the Covid panic hit and was lucky enough to fall into another (albeit slightly lower paying) job. My wife wasn't so lucky as she lost her position as a music instructor. We have two young boys who are going stir crazy.

Forgive me if I don't get elbows deep into caring about all this. I've never discriminated, harmed or even so much as wished harm on anyone due to their race. I'm just trying to get by in my own life and just want to watch football as an escape. They can protest whatever they want. I won't pretend to care either way.
The only thing that ever bothered me about the protests was ascribing to racism to any negative reaction to it.

mr. tegu
06-05-2020, 08:58 PM
The only thing that ever bothered me about the protests was ascribing to racism to any negative reaction to it.

That’s really one of the biggest problems in this country. If you disagree on something you are automatically a ism of some kind.

As for what will change? Nothing.

bdj23
06-05-2020, 09:04 PM
I'd like to see Shahid Kahn adress the Islamic slave trade and discuss the misogyny in Islam.

Wisconsin_Chief
06-05-2020, 09:07 PM
I'd like to see Shahid Kahn adress the Islamic slave trade and discuss the misogyny in Islam.

His response:

"What do you think of my badass mustache, though? I bet you couldn't grow this thing."

And then he walks away.

bdj23
06-05-2020, 09:10 PM
His response:

"What do you think of my badass mustache, though? I bet you couldn't grow this thing."

And then he walks away.

And I would respect that tbh

Wisconsin_Chief
06-05-2020, 09:11 PM
And I would respect that tbh

I would hope so. He's probably just on his way to meet Tom Selleck at the mustache comb convention. They have exciting new models this year that really take the frizz out.

jettio
06-05-2020, 09:25 PM
I thought a real argument against Kaepernick's tactics was bringing politics to a sporting event that was supposed to be an escape.

I think from now on, Players can peacefully protest without being the ones bringing politics to the stadium. Cynics like Trump who criticize the players will be the ones bringing politics to the stadium from now on. Once it stops paying off for Trump, it will stop being a big deal.

baitism
06-06-2020, 06:43 AM
This will be the last year I get season tickets if the Chiefs go full SJW, too.

MahomesMagic
06-06-2020, 06:54 AM
Goodell speaks for the owners and they must have calculated that there is more risk to their $$$ by not changing. A few years ago the calculation was different.

When Kaepernick threatened their bottom line they sided with their customers that were older. Now they probably expect there will be some of those people who leave but they would prefer to replace them with a younger fan. With the TV contracts and gambling coming they also can't risk angering the players.

Demonpenz
06-06-2020, 06:57 AM
Arrowhead will have pride day today with a march to the stadium from the LGHQF that is about it.

Demonpenz
06-06-2020, 06:59 AM
people are getting murdered and battered about police but chiefs fans getting butthurt over some videos and kneeling is amazing. I PULL MAH B00TZ STRAPS AND ONLY GOT 5 Breaks working my joke at UNION 3454 FUCK SCABS. That new menards is Falling apart cause of brown people building it.

Demonpenz
06-06-2020, 07:00 AM

let me know. I will post in the personal finance thread so we can sell our stocks.

FringeNC
06-06-2020, 07:28 AM
people are getting murdered and battered about police but chiefs fans getting butthurt over some videos and kneeling is amazing. I PULL MAH B00TZ STRAPS AND ONLY GOT 5 Breaks working my joke at UNION 3454 **** SCABS. That new menards is Falling apart cause of brown people building it.

Check out the Washington Post database on cops killing blacks (and whites) during arrest. The number may shock you -- by how low it is. You simply are unaware of the empirical data and have been indoctrinated through propaganda. Of issues facing black (and white) Americans, getting killed by cops during arrest simply has no real-world relevance. It's made-up.

BigRedChief
06-06-2020, 07:31 AM
This will be the last year I get season tickets if the Chiefs go full SJW, too.LMAO WTF?

All the pain we endured as fans. Just won a Super Bowl. Favorites to win one in the next few years for sure but..... fuck all that, someone takes a knee during the anthem to protest police brutality, I'm out. Really?!$%!!?

BigRedChief
06-06-2020, 07:48 AM
I thought a real argument against Kaepernick's tactics was bringing politics to a sporting event that was supposed to be an escapeAnd thats a legit argument.

The flag, anthem, military flyovers, the language used by everyone has been political. I don't think many disagree with that at all. But..... a protest when everybody's attention is focused on the game would get maximum attention that your 1st and 4th constitutional rights are being violated.

Protests are inconvenient. Thats kind of the point.

SAGA45
06-06-2020, 08:02 AM
The NFL won’t change much at all. Goodell is making a PR statement and hoping it blows over (which it will).

It won"t "blow over" any time soon so I sincerely doubt that was Goodell's thinking.

Admitting the league was wrong in it's previous stance on player protest during the anthem is signficant because they will likely continue this season as well as players being more outspoken on the subject.

Not to mention he's speaking for all 32 clubs which includes owners who, no matter what the societal climate is, will likely never individually and publicly concede they were wrong on how the league handled this issue before.

So I think Goodell's statement goes beyond a mere PR move for the sole purpose of short-term pacification. I think it was instead a huge and historical step in the right direction.

POND_OF_RED
06-06-2020, 08:09 AM
I’m guessing the Chiefs fans that wanted that huge Chiefs White House visit will be very disappointed.

Hoopsdoc
06-06-2020, 08:18 AM
Goodell speaks for the owners and they must have calculated that there is more risk to their $$$ by not changing. A few years ago the calculation was different.

When Kaepernick threatened their bottom line they sided with their customers that were older. Now they probably expect there will be some of those people who leave but they would prefer to replace them with a younger fan. With the TV contracts and gambling coming they also can't risk angering the players.

This is the cynical way to look at it. It’s also more than likely correct.

chiefzilla1501
06-06-2020, 08:23 AM
What he should do and what he will do are 2 different things. What he should have done a few years ago was discourage players from kneeling, then giving his players a platform to advocate in other ways. It's why players in a predominantly black NBA don't kneel.

Instead Goodell waited for it to blow up at its worst THEN decided to act. Even that gesture was generous but seemed more like just throwing money at the problem.

If he's smart he'll get ahead of this. Don't tell them not to kneel. Give them incentive not to.

jettio
06-06-2020, 09:27 AM
What he should do and what he will do are 2 different things. What he should have done a few years ago was discourage players from kneeling, then giving his players a platform to advocate in other ways. It's why players in a predominantly black NBA don't kneel.

Instead Goodell waited for it to blow up at its worst THEN decided to act. Even that gesture was generous but seemed more like just throwing money at the problem.

If he's smart he'll get ahead of this. Don't tell them not to kneel. Give them incentive not to.

I think the worm has turned on the idea that someone else's observance of the anthem ought to set somebody off.

https://missoulian.com/news/state-and-regional/crime-and-courts/superior-man-charged-with-assaulting-boy-who-was-disrespecting-the-national-anthem/article_1f731fbf-fd38-5c7f-8701-807909d8d137.html

If the NFL teams are not going to eject fans in the stands that do not properly observe the anthem, the NFL does not need to punish players for some minor demonstration that most people that actually served in the military tolerate easily.

The fragile psyched people will stick around if they really like football or they can find something else to do. Fug'em.

Chief Roundup
06-06-2020, 09:39 AM
Well, I imagine the anthem controversy is over now. No one will breathlessly cover what’s allowed and even encouraged by the league.

Oh yes it will be covered by the MEDIA. They will stoke the flames. There are Millions of fans, casual or not, that disagree with the kneeling.

KC_Connection
06-06-2020, 09:53 AM
It won"t "blow over" any time soon so I sincerely doubt that was Goodell's thinking.

The rioting will slow down/stop (as it has always done), something else of significance will happen and the media will start covering that instead. By September, we'll be on to something else.

Admitting the league was wrong in it's previous stance on player protest during the anthem is signficant because they will likely continue this season as well as players being more outspoken on the subject.

Not to mention he's speaking for all 32 clubs which includes owners who, no matter what the societal climate is, will likely never individually and publicly concede they were wrong on how the league handled this issue before.

So I think Goodell's statement goes beyond a mere PR move for the sole purpose of short-term pacification. I think it was instead a huge and historical step in the right direction.
It was a media dump he put out on a Friday night to give it as little impact as possible. Things won't change, not in any seriously or meaningful way.

Sure, they won't be able to get away with their asinine position on player protest again but that was only largely Trump manufactured outrage among a bunch of morons anyway.

ntexascardfan
06-06-2020, 09:55 AM

Nope. We have a president in the White House who will try to use this for leverage on his campaign.

The NFL season starts about the same time the elections will start entering the final stretch. Guarantee when players start kneeling this fall he will make it a huge deal and his followers will fall in line with the faux rage.

Pablo
06-06-2020, 10:10 AM

If it comes to this, be sure to go all the way in and stop watching at home. Most importantly, be sure you stop posting on a Kansas City Chiefs message board as well. Thanks in advance.

raidersnumber1
06-06-2020, 10:21 AM
total cvck move for bending over to liberal left and sjw scum.

ntexascardfan
06-06-2020, 10:25 AM

and that shit will be all over your face the moment you tune in to watch a game this fall. You better get the wet naps ready to clean that drizzle off your face.

Pablo
06-06-2020, 10:27 AM

Raiders fans don't get to call anyone scum. Nobody has ever met a Raiders fan that wasn't a complete piece of trash on all fronts.

Spott
06-06-2020, 10:39 AM
and that shit will be all over your face the moment you tune in to watch a game this fall. You better get the wet naps ready to clean that drizzle off your face.

I’m pretty sure his team sucking hind teat to Mahomes for the next 15 years is going to overshadow anything happening during the national anthem.

raidersnumber1
06-06-2020, 10:40 AM
Raiders fans don't get to call anyone scum. Nobody has ever met a Raiders fan that wasn't a complete piece of trash on all fronts.

you enjoy sucking that ashy bbc don;t you LMAO

kcclone
06-06-2020, 10:49 AM
Nope. We have a president in the White House who will try to use this for leverage on his campaign.

The NFL season starts about the same time the elections will start entering the final stretch. Guarantee when players start kneeling this fall he will make it a huge deal and his followers will fall in line with the faux rage.

Ok, are you saying white Dems aren't using this for political leverage? That's what politicians do.

Chiefshrink
06-06-2020, 10:57 AM
Goodell in making this statement only weakens the league and the game even further, thus losing even more of the fanbase. Just watch.:rolleyes:

permachief
06-06-2020, 11:02 AM
This would eliminate the problem all together:

Play the National Anthem while all the players are in he locker room after their final warm ups and just before they take the field for the start of the game.

Simple solution.

Spott
06-06-2020, 11:14 AM

Play the National Anthem while all the players are in he locker room after their final warm ups and just before they take the field for the start of the game.

Simple solution.

They could also do away with it entirely, but I kind of like hearing “Home of the Chiefs”.

ntexascardfan
06-06-2020, 11:14 AM
Ok, are you saying white Dems aren't using this for political leverage? That's what politicians do.

Trump is the one that's weaponized the specific act of NFL players kneeling as a political tool and intentionally created the language that shifted the dialogue of protest away from injustices towards black people to labeling it as an unpatriotic expression towards our country.

Thankfully, we're finally in a moment where that understanding is starting to seep into the consciousness of most Americans.

jerryaldini
06-06-2020, 11:40 AM
There will likely be some turnover of the fan base, and from the NFL's perspective having done this now positions their brand for the future with younger fans, that whether they identify as liberal or conservative don't see protest as something worth giving up football.

I believe it will also reduce the racial tension in the league among players, coaches and owners, with players feeling more enfranchised. Also takes the edge off being criticized for the military centric stuff. Overall a big move forward. I expect some attempt at an olive branch toward Kaep soon.

Bearcat
06-06-2020, 11:53 AM
Trump is the one that's weaponized the specific act of NFL players kneeling as a political tool and intentionally created the language that shifted the dialogue of protest away from injustices towards black people to labeling it as an unpatriotic expression towards our country.

Thankfully, we're finally in a moment where that understanding is starting to seep into the consciousness of most Americans.

Keep this shit in DC, please.

Demonpenz
06-06-2020, 12:00 PM
It's not just a song guy's it is about 3 generations of my family fighting and working 10 hours day in the best conditions possible because we were all white. It is about the feeling it envokes when A-10's rumble overhead and the freedom that came from all those people whom went to vietnam and threw grenades into bunkers and killed a bunch of women and children then went to do herion and screw hookers. It is about that Toby Keith song I would listen to pre-kickoff when I was in high school right before I didn't play and I went home with no girlfriend. It is the feeling when I passed my trade school even though I didn't really pass the guys just thought I was a nice guy and I was white so they let me through. So excuse me if I get a bit out of shape about people kneeling. It is a bit more than a bit of clothe.

Redbled
06-06-2020, 12:16 PM
The smart play would be to meet with players and find a mutually suitable way and time to protest. Moment of silence before or after the anthem for instance. It’s a stupid controversy and should not pit the flag against BLM at all. Anyone that wouldn’t like a solution similar is simply happy with division.

jerryaldini
06-06-2020, 12:48 PM
The smart play would be to meet with players and find a mutually suitable way and time to protest. Moment of silence before or after the anthem for instance. It’s a stupid controversy and should not pit the flag against BLM at all. Anyone that wouldn’t like a solution similar is simply happy with division.

Excellent compromise. And make it about honoring the fallen black people rather than police. Scroll some of the names. Then less likely to get any boos.

Redbled
06-06-2020, 12:53 PM
Excellent compromise. And make it about honoring the fallen black people rather than police. Scroll some of the names. Then less likely to get any boos.

It did strike me recently the sad irony of post 9/11 and how we celebrated our police and firemen heroes to now wanting to dishonor them. Imagine if the police were a part of this concept and honored as well for continuing to commit to treating people as cautiously as possible which I truly believe happens 99 percent of the time.

mr. tegu
06-06-2020, 12:53 PM

Thats a terrible idea. You are just begging for people to discuss the details of each person and whether they are worthy of honor. Then if you leave off some of them, people will just complain that they are then blaming those victims and the NFL acknowledging they deserved what they got.

jdubya
06-06-2020, 12:56 PM

Ya, that wont create any division :rolleyes:

What if it was a black cop murdered during the protest like in Oakland? Good guy black but bad guy cop?

vailpass
06-06-2020, 01:04 PM
Just drop the anthem altogether. Leave the military out of it too. Nothing but the game. After a couple years, when everyone has settled down, they can reevaluate if they want but for now just line up and play with no non-game related accompaniment.

Discuss Thrower
06-06-2020, 01:11 PM
Ya, that wont create any division :rolleyes:

What if it was a black cop murdered during the protest like in Oakland? Good guy black but bad guy cop?

The hypothetical black cop internalized the racism of white people.

DaneMcCloud
06-06-2020, 01:15 PM
Just drop the anthem altogether. Leave the military out of it too. Nothing but the game. After a couple years, when everyone has settled down, they can reevaluate if they want but for now just line up and play with no non-game related accompaniment.

This is the best play, IMO, and it wouldn't surprise me if the owners vote to remove it altogether because it takes the focus off of the games.

People just want to watch football...

Deberg_1990
06-06-2020, 01:38 PM
Have any of the other major sports leagues released a statement similar to Goodells yet?

MLB, NBA, NHL, MLS?

They have all had players protest at one time or another.

jerryaldini
06-06-2020, 03:41 PM
Thats a terrible idea. You are just begging for people to discuss the details of each person and whether they are worthy of honor. Then if you leave off some of them, people will just complain that they are then blaming those victims and the NFL acknowledging they deserved what they got.

Good point. I've never undwrstood why sporting events should be preceded by playing an anthem when other public events aren't. But good luck taking it away. If you though the howls of war on chrustmas are bad...

OrtonsPiercedTaint
06-06-2020, 05:25 PM
The military was paying for the privilege. Seen as a recruitment tool, until a few years ago. Yeah, Kap hit them where it hurt. $$

Coochie liquor
06-06-2020, 05:28 PM
Yeah I'm anxious to see how many owners were consulted and are on board. Just heard Warrick Dunn, part owner of the falcons, say he believes Goodell has come around and is sincere. I'd love to see this be then end of Jones.

I did not know Dunn is part owner, but I’m so glad to hear that. Guy was always a class act. Sounds like he managed his money wisely.

Rain Man
06-06-2020, 05:33 PM

Yep. I'm there to watch the game. I'm not there to display my patriotism or engage in social discussions or talk politics. It's a game. I don't care what the players think about guns or breastfeeding or climate change. It's a game. Just let me watch the game.

13and3
06-06-2020, 06:06 PM
It's not just a song guy's it is about 3 generations of my family fighting and working 10 hours day in the best conditions possible because we were all white. It is about the feeling it envokes when A-10's rumble overhead and the freedom that came from all those people whom went to vietnam and threw grenades into bunkers and killed a bunch of women and children then went to do herion and screw hookers. It is about that Toby Keith song I would listen to pre-kickoff when I was in high school right before I didn't play and I went home with no girlfriend. It is the feeling when I passed my trade school even though I didn't really pass the guys just thought I was a nice guy and I was white so they let me through. So excuse me if I get a bit out of shape about people kneeling. It is a bit more than a bit of clothe.
Watch "Skip and Shannon react to Drew Brees' comments about protesting during national anthem | UNDISPUTED" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/Ou4Drn2hEhM

stevieray
06-06-2020, 06:07 PM
Yep. I'm there to watch the game. I'm not there to display my patriotism or engage in social discussions or talk politics. It's a game. I don't care what the players think about guns or breastfeeding or climate change. It's a game. Just let me watch the game.

Boom

tk13
06-06-2020, 06:56 PM

Simple solution.

That's how it used to be. They only started bringing the players out the last few years. There's a lot of money to be made with the camo NFL gear, etc.

Baby Lee
06-06-2020, 07:11 PM
After kickoff, no one will care

Yeah, it's gonna depend on the details in the moment of the game action.

If people take a moment to say or do whatever they're gonna, then get to the business of entertaining. Those turned off will take a potty break and come back, and those who applaud will have a moment of joy.

If the entire broadcast and all the 24/7 news coverage becomes about who is protesting and how, people will tune out in boredom.

It's Sunday afternoon and time to relax, they already spent the morning in church.

I have a sneaking suspicion that nothing that detracts from corporate sponsorship will fly. Peace signs during TD runs will still be flagged, nonconforming uniform alterations will still be fined.

JakeF
06-06-2020, 07:26 PM
The people who hate Goodell and the owners will still hate them anyway.

TwistedChief
06-06-2020, 07:41 PM

And the players don’t value your experience more than they do their own ideals. You have every right to stay away and never watch the game again just as they have every right to express their views. Eventually that likely leads to reduced revenues for teams and salaries for athletes. So be it.

I think your view is a bit simplistic, narrow, and selfish.

Baby Lee
06-06-2020, 07:46 PM

What business is this of yours? It's HIS entertainment time.

You're policing people's leisure now?

It's that distinction between 'raising awareness' and 'silence is complicity.'

If 'silence is complicity' there is no grounds anywhere anytime for 'non-political' discussions. Life is political. Napping on the couch while you could be organizing for justice is a defiantly political act. Jacking off when you could be marching is a defiantly political act. Puttering around your garden when you could be shouting at a policeman is a defiantly political act.

Heck, playing merely football when you already have control of the airwaves instead of holding a political rally for the entire 3-hour block is a defiantly political act.

TwistedChief
06-06-2020, 07:50 PM

If 'silence is complicity' there is no grounds anywhere anytime for 'non-political' discussions. Life is political. Napping on the couch while you could be organizing for justice is a defiantly political act. Jacking off when you could be marching is a defiantly political act. Puttering around your garden when you could be shouting at a policeman is a defiantly political act.

I’m policing nothing. I’m saying someone who essentially holds the view of “Just throw the football - I don’t care what you have to say” is reducing these people to football players and little else. And I’m reminding that person that they’re under no obligation to watch the games, buy merchandise, or do anything else to contribute to their salaries.

These things police themselves.

Baby Lee
06-06-2020, 07:54 PM
I’m policing nothing. I’m saying someone who essentially holds the view of “Just throw the football - I don’t care what you have to say” is reducing these people to football players and little else. And I’m reminding that person that they’re under no obligation to watch the games, buy merchandise, or do anything else to contribute to their salaries.

He's not exactly saying that. He's saying 'when I sit down to watch football, I hope to watch football.'

If you went into McDonalds and ordered a Big Mac, and they sized you up and gave you a side-salad instead, along with a lecture on responsible consumption, how often would you return, and how simplistic, narrowminded and selfish would that make you?

vailpass
06-06-2020, 08:06 PM
And the players don’t value your experience more than they do their own ideals. You have every right to stay away and never watch the game again just as they have every right to express their views. Eventually that likely leads to reduced revenues for teams and salaries for athletes. So be it.

Get over yourself. Jesus Christ.

DaneMcCloud
06-06-2020, 08:07 PM

Heck, playing merely football when you already have control of the airwaves instead of holding a political rally for the entire 3-hour block is a defiantly political act.

Simply put, you're a cunt.

DaneMcCloud
06-06-2020, 08:08 PM
He's not exactly saying that. He's saying 'when I sit down to watch football, I hope to watch football.'

Why don't you allow the man to speak for himself?

You're a fucking busy-body cunt, ALWAYS trying to put words in people's mouths.

And then you pull this fucking shit like "Oh, I'll allow you explain yourself because I don't like your answer".

You need to get a life of your own, you fucking twat, and stop sticking your nose into other people's business.

TwistedChief
06-06-2020, 08:10 PM

If you went into McDonalds and ordered a Big Mac, and they sized you up and gave you a side-salad instead, along with a lecture on responsible consumption, how often would you return, and how simplistic, narrowminded and selfish would that make you?

Sorry, did I miss the part where the players who kneel don’t participate in the game afterward?

If he sits down to watch football, he will watch football. But he might need to see that the players want to share something they feel is important. Something so important to them that they’re willing to do potential harm to their economic futures to effect some level of change.

If you want to provide an apt metaphor, here it is: you go into McDonalds and order a Big Mac. You get your Big Mac - great - but they add a side salad with an insert that reminds people that having a salad everyday reduces heart disease by 6.82%. You can throw away the salad and say, “Fuck you. I came for the Big Mac. And damn it’s good.” Or you can think, “Hey, maybe it wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world if I started giving this salad thing a try.” OR, you could go full CP and exclaim, “FUCK THIS. No one is going to put a salad in front of me when I’m at McDonalds. I’m going to Wendy’s where I don’t have to put up with this.”

I’d much rather watch football and not have to think about anything else. It’s my release and escape. Of course. But I’ve honestly learned a lot since players started kneeling that’s had me thinking about things in a different way. So I applaud them for keeping it up.

BigRedChief
06-06-2020, 08:11 PM
Or just leave them in the locker room. As it was for the entire time the NFL existed until after, I think 9/11?

vailpass
06-06-2020, 08:16 PM
Or just leave them in the locker room. As it was for the entire time the NFL existed until after, I think 9/11?

I hear you but right now I’m not sure there aren’t some segments who wouldn’t create an issue no matter when it’s played. So fine. Let’s just have the game and leave it at that. Have the football players play football during the time people are paying to see them and they can express themselves however they wish on their own time.

TwistedChief
06-06-2020, 08:16 PM
Get over yourself. Jesus Christ.

I apologize in advance if I’ve confused you with someone else, but you’re a Broncos fan posting incessantly on a Chiefs message board, no?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29275533/broncos-players-coach-vic-fangio-help-lead-protest-march-denver

Sorry if you’ve been having a rough day as your sports world comes crashing down around you faster than the average Elway draft pick.

vailpass
06-06-2020, 08:17 PM
Sorry, did I miss the part where the players who kneel don’t participate in the game afterward?

If he sits down to watch football, he will watch football. But he might need to see that the players want to share something they feel is important. Something so important to them that they’re willing to do potential harm to their economic futures to effect some level of change.

If you want to provide an apt metaphor, here it is: you go into McDonalds and order a Big Mac. You get your Big Mac - great - but they add a side salad with an insert that reminds people that having a salad everyday reduces heart disease by 6.82%. You can throw away the salad and say, “**** you. I came for the Big Mac. And damn it’s good.” Or you can think, “Hey, maybe it wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world if I started giving this salad thing a try.” OR, you could go full CP and exclaim, “**** THIS. No one is going to put a salad in front of me when I’m at McDonalds. I’m going to Wendy’s where I don’t have to put up with this.”

I’d much rather watch football and not have to think about anything else. It’s my release and escape. Of course. But I’ve honestly learned a lot since players started kneeling that’s had me thinking about things in a different way. So I applaud them for keeping it up.

Who decided he needs to see that during a game? You?

Rain Man
06-06-2020, 08:19 PM

Well, in my world they are indeed nothing but football players. That's the real value they have to me. I mean, I think Patrick Mahomes and Travis Kelce are awesome and maybe we'd be pals if we worked together, but the truth is that we don't. I watch them play football, and I enjoy watching them play football.

I can understand that some NFL players might want to use their celebrity status as a pulpit for other things. I'm also willing to bet that many of them wish that they weren't asked to speak about issues beyond football, and they just want to be football players. There's nothing wrong with either stance.

But as a fan I have that option as well. I don't think that Marshawn Lynch or Christian McCaffrey or Baker Mayfield has a more valid opinion about global warming or job training than you or I do. Some people may be really interested in their politics and opinions off the field, and that's fine. But I just want to watch them play football, and that's fine too. Once they're on the field, we're all happy.

vailpass
06-06-2020, 08:20 PM
I apologize in advance if I’ve confused you with someone else, but you’re a Broncos fan posting incessantly on a Chiefs message board, no?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29275533/broncos-players-coach-vic-fangio-help-lead-protest-march-denver

Sorry if you’ve been having a rough day as your sports world comes crashing down around you faster than the average Elway draft pick.

I was here when you were still sucking your mom’s dick boy. I’ll own every bit of the asshole Bronco moniker from those qualified to mete it out, that doesn’t include the likes of you.

Now that we’ve addressed your subject change attempt shall we get back on track with the discussion at hand?

Baby Lee
06-06-2020, 08:22 PM
Simply put, you're a cunt.

I'd ask what your fucking problem is, but I suspect I know better than you can even express.

I asked you one simple question, and instead of answering it you started with the personal attacks. Someone else takes you to task for your sloppy reasoning, and instead of refuting him, you accuse him of being a hyper-accurate asshole like me. And now you're extending your vitriol to conversations you aren't even in.

If Rainman has a problem with my post, I'll listen. You're just an angry hothead who gets angrier the wronger he's proven.

I don't even have that much of a beef with you, but as ALWAYS your rage is an ugly personality defect. You really need to work on the difference between people proving your opinion or take incorrect and a personal attack. Because you have a distressing habit to get angrier and angrier the more facts or reason disputes your posts. Just say 'I see it different' and walk away, or say 'that's a good point, thanks for pointing it out.'

Baby Lee
06-06-2020, 08:24 PM
Well, in my world they are indeed nothing but football players. That's the real value they have to me. I mean, I think Patrick Mahomes and Travis Kelce are awesome and maybe we'd be pals if we worked together, but the truth is that we don't. I watch them play football, and I enjoy watching them play football.

I can understand that some NFL players might want to use their celebrity status as a pulpit for other things. I'm also willing to bet that many of them wish that they weren't asked to speak about issues beyond football, and they just want to be football players. There's nothing wrong with either stance.

But as a fan I have that option as well. I don't think that Marshawn Lynch or Christian McCaffrey or Baker Mayfield has a more valid opinion about global warming or job training than you or I do. Some people may be really interested in their politics and opinions off the field, and that's fine. But I just want to watch them play football, and that's fine too. Once they're on the field, we're all happy.

Hope you don't find me cunty, good buddy.

eDave
06-06-2020, 08:27 PM
Wow. Who knew Rain Man was such an asshole?

TwistedChief
06-06-2020, 08:27 PM
Who decided he needs to see that during a game? You?

The players who are providing the entertainment that the fans are paying for?

TwistedChief
06-06-2020, 08:29 PM
Wow. Who knew Rain Man was such an asshole?

No, no. He’s not an asshole at all. I’ve spent a good amount of time with him in real life. He’s every bit the witty gentleman he appears to be on here. He’s a lovely and thoughtful human being. I strongly disagree with his take here, but that doesn’t make him a bad person in my eyes at all.

Rain Man
06-06-2020, 08:29 PM
Hope you don't find me ****y, good buddy.

I'd buy a ticket to see you and Dane and Twisted and vailpass debate. That's what I come here for.

Baby Lee
06-06-2020, 08:33 PM
The players who are providing the entertainment that the fans are paying for?

The fans are paying for the entertainment. That doesn't make them royalty, but it does make them the consumer and thus the final arbiter.

TwistedChief
06-06-2020, 08:33 PM

No one ever claimed that their message is more valid than any random black person’s off the street. But that random black person is never going to have the reach and focus that these athletes do and he’s never going to get in front of YOU with his message. So if they choose to express themselves like this, at least you can have some understanding of where they’re coming from.

Your choice to be a fan and your choice to listen to them.

TwistedChief
06-06-2020, 08:34 PM
The fans are paying for the entertainment. That doesn't make them royalty, but it does make them the consumer and thus the final arbiter.

EXACTLY. So you have a choice not to watch. The players get paid less. Everyone has choices to make.

Baby Lee
06-06-2020, 08:37 PM
No one ever claimed that their message is more valid than any random black person’s off the street. But that random black person is never going to have the reach and focus that these athletes do and he’s never going to get in front of YOU with his message. So if they choose to express themselves like this, at least you can have some understanding of where they’re coming from.

Your choice to be a fan and your choice to listen to them.

Thing is, given the format the actual message is 'the anthem is playing and they are kneeling' . . . that's it.

The rest is a bunch of ancillary interests from the broadcasters to social media to the 24/7 news cycle advocating THEIR version of what that ambiguous message means and what you must do in response.

Baby Lee
06-06-2020, 08:38 PM
EXACTLY. So you have a choice not to watch. The players get paid less. Everyone has choices to make.

Are you open to us judging your every leisure choice and non-choice, or is that reserved for you judging Rainman?

jerryaldini
06-06-2020, 08:44 PM
Historically sports has been an important vehicle to bring social issues to a broader audience. Jesse Owens, Jackie Robinson, Bill Russell, Ali, Jim Brown, Tommie Smith, UTEP basketball, Arthur Ashe, Bill Walton, Kaep.

Like it or not athletes have outsize influence and are a bridge between minority and white communities. You can bet that if Mahomes takes a stand on an issue a kid in KC is going to take note much more so than if a politician or some protesters do. This week I've learned by listening to athletes talk about their personal and professional experience with these issues. Sermon over.

Rain Man
06-06-2020, 08:46 PM

But...but...I want to watch football. I was raised in a world where the price of watching a game is sitting through a bunch of bad commercials, and I made the decision that it's worth it. If the price of watching a game is now watching commercials and listening to players' political statements, then yeah, that's another factor in my viewing decision. So I agree with you there. I'm just saying that I would rather watch the game without that added cost.

That's not an intent to squelch anyone. If Laremy Tunsil or Britt Colquitt has strong opinions about foreign adoption or GMO grains, great. I'm not averse at all to hearing from them when I'm in the mood to learn about foreign adoptions, and maybe I can learn from their perspective. Laremy can talk to NFL Network about having a "Laremy Tunsil Policy Hour", and if enough people watch it, then they've got a hit on their hands. (And frankly, I'd be more likely to watch the "Laremy Tunsil Policy Hour" than anything about the patriots, but that's another issue.) I just think that the football and politics should be packaged separately.

Pitt Gorilla
06-06-2020, 08:50 PM

If you went into McDonalds and ordered a Big Mac, and they sized you up and gave you a side-salad instead, along with a lecture on responsible consumption, how often would you return, and how simplistic, narrowminded and selfish would that make you?In the NFL scenario, you still get the Big Mac and can skip the rest. Why did you leave that (fairly important) part out?

Honestly, MCD already does that to some extent with their ever-changing menu boards suggesting salads and other options.

jerryaldini
06-06-2020, 08:58 PM
When I was a kid Emmet Thomas moved in down the street, the first black in the neighborhood, and my first exposure to black people. I'll never forget the Saturday morning I timidly went to his house to get his autograph and he brought me upstairs and I got to watch some of the Notre Dame game with him. I'd later get to hang around several of the other black players at his house. Great example of sports bridging a gap that never would have happened otherwise.

TwistedChief
06-06-2020, 08:59 PM
Are you open to us judging your every leisure choice and non-choice, or is that reserved for you judging Rainman?

This is interesting. I guess I never knew ChiefsPlanet was a non-judgmental safe space. When parents of players who wandered in were attacked, when people on the verge of suicide were told to go for it, when recovering drug addicts were told they'd never amount to anything, that seemed par for the course. "Drink antifreeze" is practically the tour de force retort here.

In all seriousness, he posted about it on a public forum. I was disappointed and disagreed. It's not as if I deliberately sought out his opinion and attacked him for it.

I love Rainman. He's the best poster here next to valipass who apparently has been here since I was sucking my mother's dick.

Rain Man
06-06-2020, 09:00 PM
In the NFL scenario, you still get the Big Mac and can skip the rest. Why did you leave that (fairly important) part out?

Honestly, MCD already does that to some extent with their ever-changing menu boards suggesting salads and other options.

It may be slightly different than your point, but I really despise being asked if I want something else when I order. I have to bite my tongue to avoid rudeness because I know the person asking is just following the orders of some soulless and sleazy corporate manager, but I really, really dislike it. It wastes my time and it wastes theirs, and I think less of the company every time I'm asked.

I wonder what the ROI is on that. I guess the corporate people view it as something with zero cost and a potential benefit, but it sure degrades my customer experience. I bet it decreases my future visits by a statistically significant 1.8 percent.

WhawhaWhat
06-06-2020, 09:03 PM
It may be slightly different than your point, but I really despise being asked if I want something else when I order. I have to bite my tongue to avoid rudeness because I know the person asking is just following the orders of some soulless and sleazy corporate manager, but I really, really dislike it. It wastes my time and it wastes theirs, and I think less of the company every time I'm asked.

I wonder what the ROI is on that. I guess the corporate people view it as something with zero cost and a potential benefit, but it sure degrades my customer experience. I bet it decreases my future visits by a statistically significant 1.8 percent.

Would you like to make that a combo?

Rain Man
06-06-2020, 09:03 PM
I feel as if I inadvertently fomented conflict. I hope everyone shakes hands afterwards (or whatever we can do now in the covid era) and agrees that we're a band of Chiefs brothers regardless of any disagreements. I don't like conflict. It reminds me of the incident on my eighth birthday.

Rain Man
06-06-2020, 09:05 PM
Would you like to make that a combo?

I fear that at some point it may be my undoing. I'll be having a bad day when some sixteen year old kid asks me that, and I'll suddenly be flying over the counter, fists flying in a blind rage. And then I'll get convicted of felony assault on a minor and I won't be able to walk by the neighborhood school any more.

TwistedChief
06-06-2020, 09:06 PM
I feel as if I inadvertently fomented conflict. I hope everyone shakes hands afterwards (or whatever we can do now in the covid era) and agrees that we're a band of Chiefs brothers regardless of any disagreements. I don't like conflict. It reminds me of the incident on my eighth birthday.

I think it would help if you cleared up one very important thing:

Do the Ermines have an official comment on the kneeling?

Rain Man
06-06-2020, 09:09 PM
I think it would help if you cleared up one very important thing:

Do the Ermines have an official comment on the kneeling?

In a fortunate coincidence, Ermines don't have knees so it's never been an issue. But we're worried about facing controversy once our support of snapping rabbits' spinal cords with our teeth becomes public.

Baby Lee
06-06-2020, 09:12 PM

This is interesting. I guess I never knew ChiefsPlanet was a non-judgmental safe space. When parents of players who wandered in were attacked, when people on the verge of suicide were told to go for it, when recovering drug addicts were told they'd never amount to anything, that seemed par for the course. "Drink antifreeze" is practically the tour de force retort here.

In all seriousness, he posted about it on a public forum. I was disappointed and disagreed. It's not as if I deliberately sought out his opinion and attacked him for it.

I love Rainman. He's the best poster here next to valipass who apparently has been here since I was sucking my mother's dick.

Would you agree that it actually isn't all that selfish to hope to be entertained by your entertainment.

Or at least if it is selfish, it's a selfish in a universally acceptable manner where everyone is a little selfish in their leisure pursuits?

As an aside, that might clear up the perspective a bit. I try to devote a portion of my leisure or idle time to things I find objectionable or that I'm critical of, . . I seek out controversial pundits, or diverse documentaries, or entertainment from demographics that would otherwise be foreign to me. But that's my choice, just like my choice to watch football. I choose to do that when I do, because I personally find some leisure in keeping my mind active by contronting and critiquing different perspectives and refining and/or reinforcing my own perspective. My choice.

And it does get tiring after a while to have people thinking that, since you're captive to their entertainment offering, and you likely haven't broadened your horizons, and you are in need of education instead of what you bargained for.

It's reminiscent of the omnipresence of Dear Leader in NK, this lovely park brought to you by Dear Leader, don't forget to thank Dear Leader for this bowl of rice, Dear Leader's foresight has endowed these musicians you are listening to with marvelous skill. Sometimes you need a respite from messaging and that should be within your control as a consumer in a free society.

WhawhaWhat
06-06-2020, 09:15 PM
I fear that at some point it may be my undoing. I'll be having a bad day when some sixteen year old kid asks me that, and I'll suddenly be flying over the counter, fists flying in a blind rage. And then I'll get convicted of felony assault on a minor and I won't be able to walk by the neighborhood school any more.

It hate it when they're trying to up sell me a soda by telling me that it's only $0.50 or however much more if I make it a combo meal. Then I say no and they respond by making it sound like I'm an idiot for passing up such a great deal.

Chief Roundup
06-06-2020, 09:17 PM
Now that it came out that most owners did not know or approve of the message put out by Goodell before put it out there. He only notified a few owners of his intent.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

TwistedChief
06-06-2020, 09:20 PM
Would you agree that it actually isn't all that selfish to hope to be entertained by your entertainment.

Or at least if it is selfish, it's a selfish in a universally acceptable manner where everyone is a little selfish in their leisure pursuits?

I agree with the latter. We're all like that on some level.

But you derive enjoyment from what these athletes do on the field. They're trying to tell you something about their lives and experiences. To bury your head in the sand because you just want to be entertained and to express that as "just do your job and don't burden me with what you actually think" seems a bit callous and selfish.

They have every right to do that and you have every right to decide not to watch them.

Rain Man
06-06-2020, 09:23 PM
It hate it when they're trying to up sell me a soda by telling me that it's only $0.50 or however much more if I make it a combo meal. Then I say no and they respond by making it sound like I'm an idiot for passing up such a great deal.

That's even worse. That's a blatant disregard for my health.

However, I must admit one exception to my rule. If I don't get a drink and then they ask me if I want a drink, I feel like they're kind of looking out for me. They don't want me to get in the car on my road trip and pull out my burger and then say, "Aw, man, I forgot to order a drink."

But asking me to upsize is completely unacceptable.

TwistedChief
06-06-2020, 09:23 PM

But you could've saved 5% today on your purchase if you had signed up for the Banana Republic credit card, you selfish fucking moron.

Rain Man
06-06-2020, 09:27 PM
But you could've saved 5% today on your purchase if you had signed up for the Banana Republic credit card, you selfish ****ing moron.

Those cards...man. At some point when I retire I'm going to accept every single offer for a year, and then I'm going to go into a place with a brief case. When they ask me if I'm a member, I'll open the briefcase to reveal a massive filing system of alphabetically ordered discount cards, and I'll find the right one after a minute or two of rifling through them. It'll be fun to watch the reactions.

jerryaldini
06-06-2020, 09:33 PM
Now that it came out that most owners did not know or approve of the message put out by Goodell before put it out there. He only notified a few owners of his intent.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Interesting. " An unnamed source told Maske that “most owners” are expected to support Goodell’s statement. However, some owners expect a backlash from fans whose views on protests mesh with the President’s. Maske also reports that some wonder about Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, given his past position that players always should stand for the anthem."

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/06/06/report-most-owners-were-taken-by-surprise-by-the-roger-goodell-video/

BigRedChief
06-06-2020, 09:34 PM
An NFL films producer made the Mahomes video.

From the Athletic:
Thomas convened a group of players from across the NFL, including Chiefs safety Tyrann Mathieu, Giants running back Saquon Barkley, Browns receiver Odell Beckham Jr. and Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes, to call out the league in a powerful video released Thursday night on each of the players’ social media platforms. They demanded the league recognize the Black Lives Matter movement, admit of wrongdoing in suppressing voices of peaceful protest and condemn racism and systemic oppression. Their exact phrasing was repeated a day later by Goodell.

Goodell’s video was also a result of internal pressure applied by league content creators — the people behind the league’s social media channels, like Twitter, Instagram and YouTube — who held multiple virtual town hall-style meetings since the release of the NFL’s initial statement last week. Sources with knowledge of those meetings, one of which was attended by Goodell, described them as “emotional,” as employees conveyed their disappointment in the league’s choice of words.

Some of those creators, including NFL video producer Bryndon Minter, who has worked for the league since 2017, decided more action was needed. Minter independently worked directly with Thomas and the group of players to produce Thursday’s video.

Minter understood that he could lose his job for helping Thomas with the video.

“I was at peace the whole time,” he told The Athletic. “I think if I wasn’t at peace to lose my job, I wouldn’t have wanted to go out on a limb like that…I was at peace, I still am at peace.”

By Friday morning, one league source said, Goodell had informed senior staff that he planned to respond.

jerryaldini
06-06-2020, 09:35 PM
Article says he consulted the few owners that really run the show. Somebody notify Black ops.