PDA

View Full Version : Football We're losing our pro football reference play index?

Rain Man
06-10-2020, 01:41 PM
Well, we're not losing it completely, but apparently they're moving to a paid subscription model.

https://www.sports-reference.com/blog/2020/05/play-index-tools-are-moving-to-stathead-com/

This is going to hurt. I use that site and the search tools for a whole lot of stuff around here. I can't justify $96 a year to keep it, though, since it's all just for fun.

Lower the statistics flag to half staff, plus or minus 5 percent.

RealSNR
06-10-2020, 07:03 PM
No thank you.

Rain Man
06-10-2020, 07:56 PM
This is really going to hurt. This is the worst thing that's happened in 2020.

RealSNR
06-11-2020, 12:32 PM
It makes more sense to run it like wikipedia, which is based on the public radio/tv model. Contributions and payment plans that give you a "membership" to help pay the bills while you continue to offer the content for free. I know that's not guaranteed $$$, but I didn't know stat keeping was that expensive of a venture, particularly when you've been offering it for free all this time anyway.

As a performing musician/scholar, I rely a lot on IMSLP, which has scores/parts of any and all public domain works. It's totally free but they have membership plans you can sign up and get faster downloads and all that. It's not worth it, but the model of offering the product regardless of payment has shown to work in the past. And it seems to me that upkeeping and checking licensing for every scan that comes in takes a lot of time and manpower, just like updating sports stats continuously.

MagicHef
06-11-2020, 01:27 PM
NO

HemiEd
06-11-2020, 01:57 PM

Wow, that is bad.

That is a really low bar! Yeah, I like to look at that site once in a while but if you can't justify the 96 bucks, who can?

Nobody!

Beef Supreme
06-11-2020, 02:30 PM

Thoughts and prayers sent.