PDA

View Full Version : Life Hanging a door...need some advice

InChiefsHeaven
06-20-2020, 11:37 AM
OK, so my wife found a nice solid core door to replace the front door in our house. I've already stained and finished it, hardware is in it. I put it in the door frame and it fits. Just need to mortise the hinges.

I have a couple if questions:

The hinges we bought were 4" Gatehouse brand. They do NOT as far as I can see have the "security pin". But for the life of me, I can't get the damn hinge pins out. I don't have a vise, but I guess I thought just tapping it with a nail upside down would force the hinge pin loose. So, anyone work with brand new hinges before? Do you typically have to beat the shit out of them to get the hinge pins out the first time?

Second, the door we bought is solid core, but it's a 1 3\8 inch thick. The old door is 1 3\4. I realize this will cause some problems with the door stop. My plan is to get some 3\8" stock to build up the stop to compensate. Like I said, the door fits and latches, so I think I'm good there. Is there some kind of wood for this, like at Lowe's, or do I have to go somewhere specialized?

Mostly, I'm worried about the damn hinges. I really don't want to try to muscle this bitch into place and then try to hold it while I screw the hinges into the door or the jamb.

Man, it looked really good in place. All that's left is mortising the hinges and hanging the door. I'll figure out something to fir out the door stop if I have to.

Any thoughts?

Jewish Rabbi
06-20-2020, 11:45 AM
Sorry, I have no experience hanging doors, but you can come to me if you need help laying pipe.

lewdog
06-20-2020, 11:47 AM
Pay someone more skilled than you so it’s done correctly.

kstater
06-20-2020, 11:50 AM
Pay someone more skilled than you so it’s done correctly.Yeah, doors are a bitch, and that's an exterior door, don't half ass it

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Baby Lee
06-20-2020, 11:55 AM
The gatehouse has an endcap and pin system. The 'bottom' is a cap, and you need to remove it with vise grips, then you can tap the 'top' pin with a screwdriver or hexwrench through the chase until it breaks the friction press-fitting.

Clamp the vise grips on the exposed head, then tap down for the endcap. Run the hexwrench through the chase and tap up for the pin.

Hog's Gone Fishin
06-20-2020, 11:57 AM
If you'll take the door off and set it on a couple saw horses, put a towel underneath so as to not hurt your finish. Then go to the shop and grab two fishing poles and go fishing you'll think of a solution while you're fishing. Always works for me.

dlphg9
06-20-2020, 11:58 AM
What others have said. You just spent the money on a nice door. Don't be a cheap ass now and spend the little extra to have someone hang it. It shouldn't cost too much.

dlphg9
06-20-2020, 11:59 AM
The gatehouse has an endcap and pin system. The 'bottom' is a cap, and you need to remove it with vise grips, then you can tap the 'top' pin with a screwdriver or hexwrench through the chase until it breaks the friction press-fitting.

Clamp the vise grips on the exposed head, then tap down for the endcap. Run the hexwrench through the chase and tap up for the pin.

Do you have to pull on the foreskin to expose the head?

Hog's Gone Fishin
06-20-2020, 12:02 PM
What others have said. You just spent the money on a nice door. Don't be a cheap ass now and spend the little extra to have someone hang it. It shouldn't cost too much.

Handy men around my parts charge $150-$250 to hang a door. Convert that to 15 packs of keystone and you're looking at 11 to 19 packs of beer. It's a no brainer to hang it yourself even if its a little crooked and you have to push on it to open it. Plus you got the pride in knowing to put that POS in yourself!

TimeForWasp
06-20-2020, 12:06 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8kAccMi-kGQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Baby Lee
06-20-2020, 12:08 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8kAccMi-kGQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Was just about to post, Tommy will set you right.

Demonpenz
06-20-2020, 12:15 PM
I thought the title said "Hanging myself in a doorway" and I got the positive rep ready

dlphg9
06-20-2020, 12:42 PM
Handy men around my parts charge $150-$250 to hang a door. Convert that to 15 packs of keystone and you're looking at 11 to 19 packs of beer. It's a no brainer to hang it yourself even if its a little crooked and you have to push on it to open it. Plus you got the pride in knowing to put that POS in yourself!

The pride is worth way more than anything else.

Bugeater
06-20-2020, 01:15 PM
Well, if you have a cold beer or two you might be able to convince the handy guy that lives near you to come give you hand hanging it so you don't have to fool with busting the hinges apart.

Bugeater
06-20-2020, 01:16 PM
Wait a minute, if you haven't hung it yet, how do you know it closes and latches?

jdubya
06-20-2020, 04:20 PM
I think you need to defer to the world renowned expert.......what does Dr Fauci say?

InChiefsHeaven
06-21-2020, 10:28 AM
Wait a minute, if you haven't hung it yet, how do you know it closes and latches?

I put it in the frame already, so I can see that everything lines up.

InChiefsHeaven
06-21-2020, 10:32 AM
OK, a few things:

One...CP never disappoints.

Two, I actually found the video above, and watched it already. I might just be overthinking this.

Three, the hinges are not safety hinges, the pins are indeed removeable...they were just tight as hell at first. I hung them on the door (door laying sideways on a blanket) and gave em a whack with the old hammer and nail set. Popped out no problem.

So far so good. I appreciate what everyone has said, especially the part about paying someone to do it. BUT...I'm kind of obsessed with the bastard now, and I want to see it through...

I'll post pics when it's done...Happy Fathers Day all by the way.

lewdog
06-21-2020, 10:42 AM
You hang this POS yet?!?!

Hog's Gone Fishin
06-21-2020, 10:54 AM

It's fathers day. His wife did it for him.

dlphg9
06-21-2020, 11:55 AM

Oh he got it hung. It's no longer hanging, but for a brief moment in time he accomplished what he was destined to do.

Jewish Rabbi
06-21-2020, 12:28 PM

No, but I laid pipe for his wife!

Chief Northman
06-21-2020, 12:38 PM
I thought the title said "Hanging myself in a doorway" and I got the positive rep ready

Oh Demonpenz....

InChiefsHeaven
06-21-2020, 08:48 PM
Got it done. What a bitch...but...it was worth it. I had to use a lot of putty on the door jam as it was not totally in line once I got the door hung. But, we're painting that, so it's all good.

Here's a pic of the finished product. Would I do it again? Well, I learned a ton of shit from this, so now I'm much more confident. We're going to do the door that goes out to the garage as well, so yeah, I'll do it again. Here's what I learned:

Do NOT finish the door first. Rather, make sure it fits, do your cutting and planing and all that shit before you finish it. I didn't want to do that because I was afraid of getting dirt and crap on the door...well...your gonna, so fit it first and then finish and hang it.

Inside and Outside:

InChiefsHeaven
06-21-2020, 08:52 PM
Oh, and fuck you guys...I love you all, you bastards!

Lprechaun
06-22-2020, 02:14 PM
People have a lot of trouble.wih doors because they dont know some little tricks. Several things you could have done but it seems like it's in now so congrats!
If you need adjustments use the hinges if possible. Shimming the hinge with the thin plastic that comes on any packaging does the trick.
You can make a door close tighter, stop it from rubbing, close or widen reveals all by a little plastic.