PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs ESPN: Mahomes' Chiefs Career Longevity and Chris Jones' Contract Discussion

Tribal Warfare
07-11-2020, 09:10 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7hR2Yt6BOqI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Coogs
07-11-2020, 09:50 AM
When was this? This morning? If so, sounds like no deal for Jones this year.

Chief Northman
07-11-2020, 09:58 AM
So this goes back to what Petro reported about the locker room basketball. The Chiefs don’t trust Jones and likely view him as immature.

staylor26
07-11-2020, 10:08 AM
So this goes back to what Petro reported about the locker room basketball. The Chiefs don’t trust Jones and likely view him as immature.

I’m going to go ahead and believe Louis Riddick who legitimately has sources inside the organization over this guy.

Kman34
07-11-2020, 10:26 AM

I call bullshit on this...

Chief Northman
07-11-2020, 10:31 AM
I’m going to go ahead and believe Louis Riddick who legitimately has sources inside the organization over this guy.

What has Riddick said?

Coogs
07-11-2020, 10:32 AM

What is Riddick reporting?

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-11-2020, 10:43 AM
I guess we'll know the outcome Wednesday. I'm guessing he signs the franchise tag and plays on it and thats where we'll be this year. Then we can franchise him again next year then adios. BUT, if we can pull off another SB victory MAYBE Jones will see the light.

staylor26
07-11-2020, 10:44 AM
What has Riddick said?

What is Riddick reporting?

He reported after the Mahomes extension that the Chiefs were switching their focus to Jones and working on a deal.

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-11-2020, 11:06 AM
He reported after the Mahomes extension that the Chiefs were switching their focus to Jones and working on a deal.

I expect he stated that without insider knowledge but just common sense. Of course Jones is next and getting Mahomes done solidifies the numbers available to do CJ.

RealSNR
07-11-2020, 11:07 AM
This is selfish, but I hope Louis Riddick stays on TV and doesn't get a GM job for awhile. Well, hopefully that's what he wants, anyway.

I'd hate to lose him to to some shitty Bengals organization or whatever when we've got an incredible source for inside Chiefs news on ESPN not to mention one huuuuuge Mahomo.

Coogs
07-11-2020, 11:30 AM
I expect he stated that without insider knowledge but just common sense. Of course Jones is next and getting Mahomes done solidifies the numbers available to do CJ.

Pretty much this. That why I would kind of like to know when the OP video comes from? This morning? Or do they even do that show on Saturday? I don't watch ESPN much, if at all the last few months.

staylor26
07-11-2020, 11:52 AM

I don’t know why you’d “expect” that when he always has inside information.

staylor26
07-11-2020, 11:59 AM
“Hog already stated common sense”

Louis Riddick is always in the know when it comes to the Chiefs. Common sense says if the Chiefs have no intention to get a deal done or believe it is unlikely he would already know and wouldn’t have said what he said.

Kiimo
07-11-2020, 12:01 PM
"Last season I sensed"

"I would anticipate"

"I think"

he has no inside information whatsoever

staylor26
07-11-2020, 12:02 PM
"Last season I sensed"

"I would anticipate"

"I think"

Are you talking about the guy in the OP or Riddick?

Kiimo
07-11-2020, 12:04 PM
Are you talking about the guy in the OP or Riddick?

I'm directly quoting Jeff Darlington which I assumed was the reason this thread was created.

Coogs
07-11-2020, 12:11 PM
“Hog already stated common sense”

Louis Riddick is always in the know when it comes to the Chiefs. Common sense says if the Chiefs have no intention to get a deal done or believe it is unlikely he would already know and wouldn’t have said what he said.

Maybe. I'm a huge Riddick fan too. But common sense kind of says when Mahomes is done the attention with 9 days to go to the long term contract deadline, that the attention would switch to Jones. :shrug:

Coogs
07-11-2020, 12:13 PM
"Last season I sensed"

"I would anticipate"

"I think"

Solid points!

In58men
I think I’ll just listen to Terez. Here’s a section from his article he posted a couple days ago. (July 9th)

“Jones should be rewarded for those contributions, and it’s been my belief for months the Chiefs would like to do so. I still feel that way, even in the aftermath of the Chiefs signing Patrick Mahomes to a half-billion-dollar contract earlier this week. Mahomes wanted to give the Chiefs financial flexibility to be a contender for the next decade, and despite the mammoth contract, his money for 2020 and 2021 are virtually unchanged, so the Chiefs have the ability to work something out with Jones before the July 15 deadline for franchise-tagged players to sign extensions”

https://sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/will-the-chiefs-reward-chris-jones-after-patrick-mahomes-big-payday-032633849.html?__twitter_impression=true

RunKC
FYI Jeff Darlington was the one who knew Brady was leaving months before anyone. Even Schefter.

Kiimo
07-11-2020, 12:15 PM
Well isn't he a florida-based reporter? I think he does the Dolphins beat.

staylor26
07-11-2020, 12:15 PM
Maybe. I'm a huge Riddick fan too. But common sense kind of says when Mahomes is done the attention with 9 days to go to the long term contract deadline, that the attention would switch to Jones. :shrug:

Not if what Darlington is saying has any truth to it. If it did, Riddick (and Terez) would already know.

staylor26
07-11-2020, 12:16 PM
FYI Jeff Darlington was the one who knew Brady was leaving months before anyone. Even Schefter.

So this means he has better inside info on the Chiefs than Riddick and Terez?

Coogs
07-11-2020, 12:24 PM
Not if what Darlington is saying has any truth to it. If it did, Riddick (and Terez) would already know.

No biggie! I guess on my own, after Mahomes signed his deal, I kind of figured that the attention of Veach and the Chiefs would focus on Jones until the 15th of this month. I really didn't need anyone to tell me that, inside info or not.

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-11-2020, 01:21 PM
No biggie! I guess on my own, after Mahomes signed his deal, I kind of figured that the attention of Veach and the Chiefs would focus on Jones until the 15th of this month. I really didn't need anyone to tell me that, inside info or not.

Yep, we don't need to waste energy speculating.

RunKC
07-11-2020, 01:32 PM
So this means he has better inside info on the Chiefs than Riddick and Terez?

Terez reported tense negotiations last year. Garafallo reported similar issues a week ago.

Also, everyone here needs to also accept that Mahomes will likely be on a different team at the end of his career unless he retires early.

Coogs
07-11-2020, 01:43 PM
Yep, we don't need to waste energy speculating.

:thumb:

staylor26
07-11-2020, 01:51 PM
Terez reported tense negotiations last year. Garafallo reported similar issues a week ago.

Also, everyone here needs to also accept that Mahomes will likely be on a different team at the end of his career unless he retires early.

LMAO

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
07-11-2020, 01:51 PM
Field Yates said we have started talking to Jones and negotiations have begun

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">With Wednesday’s deadline looming, the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Chiefs</a> and Chris Jones are reported to be talking again (via <a href="https://twitter.com/Arrowheadphones?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@Arrowheadphones</a>): <a href="https://t.co/a9SzVMmX9b">https://t.co/a9SzVMmX9b</a></p>&mdash; Arrowhead Pride (@ArrowheadPride) <a href="https://twitter.com/ArrowheadPride/status/1282017722570866689?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 11, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

KC Hawks
07-11-2020, 01:52 PM
Yes, let's worry about something that might happen 15 years from now.

BigRedChief
07-11-2020, 01:56 PM
There are several posts today by legitimate sports reporters saying the Chiefs and Jones agent are talking again and the Chiefs want to get a long term deal done with Jones before the deadline.

Where there's smoke there's fire situation?

staylor26
07-11-2020, 01:58 PM
There are several posts today by legitimate sports reporters saying the Chiefs and Jones agent are talking again and the Chiefs want to get a long term deal done with Jones before the deadline.

Where there's smoke there's fire situation?

Several?

I’ve seen Yates. Who else?

BigRedChief
07-11-2020, 02:02 PM
So this means he has better inside info on the Chiefs than Riddick and Terez?I'd say 90% on here consider those two the best dudes out there with the solid Chiefs info.

Halfcan
07-11-2020, 02:11 PM
Field Yates said we have started talking to Jones and negotiations have begun

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">With Wednesday’s deadline looming, the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Chiefs</a> and Chris Jones are reported to be talking again (via <a href="https://twitter.com/Arrowheadphones?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@Arrowheadphones</a>): <a href="https://t.co/a9SzVMmX9b">https://t.co/a9SzVMmX9b</a></p>&mdash; Arrowhead Pride (@ArrowheadPride) <a href="https://twitter.com/ArrowheadPride/status/1282017722570866689?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 11, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

CJ needs to be a Chief for life and the Chiefs need to make this happen.

6 Years 108 mil 45 guaranteed.

BigRedChief
07-11-2020, 02:12 PM
Several?

I’ve seen Yates. Who else?Saw an ESPN piece on it. Also and NFL network piece. They are obviously talking again. But, people are getting too excited about this. Just because they are talking doesn't mean a deal is going to get done. Jones is a helluva player. They need to talk.

Veach ain't a dumbass. Why wouldn't the Chiefs be talking to see if a last minute deal can get worked out. Having two $20 million players on the DL is hard to pull off cap wise.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
07-11-2020, 02:13 PM

He wants 20 mil a year. That is less than 20 mil a year

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
07-11-2020, 02:14 PM
Saw an ESPN piece on it. Also and NFL network piece. People are getting too excited about this. Just because they are talking doesn't mean a deal is going to get done. Jones is a helluva player.

Veach ain't a dumbass. Why wouldn't the Chiefs be talking to see if a last minute deal can get worked out. But, having two $20 million on the DL is hard to pull off cap wise.

Veach is the GM. He goes GOD mode when it comes to cap space

dlphg9
07-11-2020, 02:21 PM

Chris Jones ain't signing for $18 mil/yr and I think that's pretty obvious. Buckner got $21 mil/yr and that's probably the min he would take. He knows his worth and he knows how contracts in the NFL work.

Halfcan
07-11-2020, 02:23 PM
He wants 20 mil a year. That is less than 20 mil a year

:thumb:

It is still a 100 million dollar contract- it would be hard to pass up. It would give the Chiefs some flexibility- years wise- but would be a disaster for the cap if Jones gets hurt.

Jones says he wants to stay in KC long term- this would give him a good start for that goal.

14 mil discount for the Chiefs plus flexibility- Jones gets paid.

dlphg9
07-11-2020, 02:26 PM
Saw an ESPN piece on it. Also and NFL network piece. They are obviously talking again. But, people are getting too excited about this. Just because they are talking doesn't mean a deal is going to get done. Jones is a helluva player. They need to talk.

Veach ain't a dumbass. Why wouldn't the Chiefs be talking to see if a last minute deal can get worked out. Having two $20 million players on the DL is hard to pull off cap wise.

Yeah Veach isn't a dumbass and he knows what Chris Jones wants. If he had no intention of giving him what he wants then why even bother with him?

Halfcan
07-11-2020, 02:29 PM
Chris Jones ain't signing for $18 mil/yr and I think that's pretty obvious. Buckner got $21 mil/yr and that's probably the min he would take. He knows his worth and he knows how contracts in the NFL work.

Just because the stupid Colts overpaid- that does not mean the Chiefs are obligated to do the same.

Jones will have Mahomes as his QB- Buckner has Old Man Rivers

It should mean something to Jones to play in a city that loves him- with a team that made him a World Champ and will be at the top every year.

RunKC
07-11-2020, 02:37 PM
Just because the stupid Colts overpaid- that does not mean the Chiefs are obligated to do the same.

Jones will have Mahomes as his QB- Buckner has Old Man Rivers

It should mean something to Jones to play in a city that loves him- with a team that made him a World Champ and will be at the top every year.

That’s not how this works.

Chief Northman
07-11-2020, 02:37 PM
It will all boil down to the guaranteed money. Jones will move off that $20 million+ number if they guarantee him close to or slightly above what Clark received.

Megatron96
07-11-2020, 02:50 PM
It's going to hinge on what is most important to CJ. Does he want long-term stability, a city that loves him, a chance at a championship for the next decade, possibly a seat in the HOF?

Or does he want to be the highest paid DT in the league? If think it was Jeff Saturday that said a few months ago that when his contract came up, he wanted to get paid, and his agent came back and asked him if he was okay with being one of the top 4 players at his position, or did he have to be the highest paid player at his position. He chose being one of the top 4 so he could stay with a winning team.

CJ probably has to make a similar choice.

O.city
07-11-2020, 02:55 PM
I’d have no problem paying him. He’s legit and elite

I’d also understand not and trading him

Halfcan
07-11-2020, 03:09 PM
That’s not how this works.

The Colts way overpaid and still won't sniff the playoffs this year.

They also brought in Rivers after the year he just had.

I don't think Jone's contract should be based on what the Colts thought Buckner was worth to them- a HUGE price with giving up draft stock too.

Jones will be offered what the Chiefs think he is worth to them. Colts' moves are irrelevant.

Coogs
07-11-2020, 03:18 PM
It was important to the team and to Mahomes to structure his contract to make sure the team always had good players around Mahomes. I would assume that line of thinking will apply here as well going forward. Veach has a plan going forward thought out several years in advance. If what Jones wants fits in that plan, I expect he stays. If what Jones wants does not fit in that plan, I expect he is here for this year on the tag.

On a side note, if it appears something is not going to be worked out by Wednesday, is Jones's agent still able to negotiate with other teams? Or has that date of the franchise tag passed by?

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
07-11-2020, 03:29 PM
It was important to the team and to Mahomes to structure his contract to make sure the team always had good players around Mahomes. I would assume that line of thinking will apply here as well going forward. Veach has a plan going forward thought out several years in advance. If what Jones wants fits in that plan, I expect he stays. If what Jones wants does not fit in that plan, I expect he is here for this year on the tag.

On a side note, if it appears something is not going to be worked out by Wednesday, is Jones's agent still able to negotiate with other teams? Or has that date of the franchise tag passed by?

Field Yates and Louis Riddick said Jones is in negotiations with the Chiefs. Something will get worked out

Coogs
07-11-2020, 03:45 PM
Field Yates and Louis Riddick said Jones is in negotiations with the Chiefs. Something will get worked out

I can read. And I really didn't need Yates or Riddick to tell me that with Wednesday being the cut off date for a long term deal to get done this year. I could figure that out myself.

That being said, just because they are negotiating does not mean a deal gets done. I won't be shocked either way.

Redbled
07-11-2020, 04:04 PM
Mahomes should call up Jones and hook him up with some nice endorsements. Lots of ways to benefit aside from the cap.

The Franchise
07-11-2020, 04:05 PM

What is this stupid shit?

Sassy Squatch
07-11-2020, 04:24 PM
LMAO The fuck?

RunKC
07-11-2020, 04:52 PM
The Colts way overpaid and still won't sniff the playoffs this year.

They also brought in Rivers after the year he just had.

I don't think Jone's contract should be based on what the Colts thought Buckner was worth to them- a HUGE price with giving up draft stock too.

Jones will be offered what the Chiefs think he is worth to them. Colts' moves are irrelevant.

Chris gets one giant payday in his life and it will be in the next year, possibly next week. He’ll never get this opportunity again.

Buckner is not as good as him and yeah it sucks that they overpaid, but I can’t blame Chris for wanting that price tag now that a lesser player got it.

That’s just how it works

Halfcan
07-11-2020, 05:25 PM
Chris gets one giant payday in his life and it will be in the next year, possibly next week. He’ll never get this opportunity again.

Buckner is not as good as him and yeah it sucks that they overpaid, but I can’t blame Chris for wanting that price tag now that a lesser player got it.

That’s just how it works

CJ is only 26 now- so he might get two or three paydays during his career including this one- maybe not as large, but he won't be hurting for money.

Yep, the Colts blew that deal, of course, Jones wants more-everyone always does. Chiefs should hold the line though.

BigRedChief
07-11-2020, 05:36 PM
Field Yates and Louis Riddick said Jones is in negotiations with the Chiefs. Something will get worked outVeach would be incompetent if he didn't reach out to Jones agent to see if there isn't a chance at a last minute deal before the franchise tag deadline. Veach isn't incompetent.

TribalElder
07-11-2020, 05:46 PM
CJ was just in town doing autograph signings, I figured since he was around he might as well swing by Arrowhead drive and sign one more autograph

Tribal Warfare
07-11-2020, 06:01 PM
Pretty much this. That why I would kind of like to know when the OP video comes from? This morning? Or do they even do that show on Saturday? I don't watch ESPN much, if at all the last few months.

This morning

KC_Connection
07-11-2020, 06:37 PM

Who posts garbage like this?

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
07-11-2020, 06:57 PM
Jeremy Fowler also reporting that Jones is in discussions for a long term contract

Perineum Ripper
07-11-2020, 07:10 PM

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-XQUKIt4ov6I/UQIqkanQ54I/AAAAAAAAG9k/3B25DeMTL_Q/s1600/colin-farrell.gif

RunKC
07-11-2020, 08:32 PM
Who posts garbage like this?

Montana, Favre, Brady, Manning, soon to be Rodgers. All perfect examples. If you want to call history garbage, feel free.

The point is to enjoy every snap of Patrick Mahomes.

Coogs
07-11-2020, 09:02 PM
This morning

:thumb: Thanks!

Coogs
07-11-2020, 09:10 PM
Jeremy Fowler also reporting that Jones is in discussions for a long term contract

Dang! What would we do without these guys to report the obvious!

As of Saturday, July 11. Four days to go. Coogs is calling it 40/60 for Jones being a Chief on a long term deal. Not knowing any details, but going off of last years reported offer, Jones is going to have to give, or he plays on the tag.

KC_Connection
07-12-2020, 12:04 AM
Montana, Favre, Brady, Manning, soon to be Rodgers. All perfect examples. If you want to call history garbage, feel free.

The point is to enjoy every snap of Patrick Mahomes.
I’m calling needlessly making predictions about what might happen past 2030 in 2020 garbage, yeah. There is no point to it.

You don’t need to be dreading about what might happen a decade from now to enjoy watching Mahomes.

BigRedChief
07-12-2020, 01:06 AM
I’m calling needlessly making predictions about what might happen past 2030 in 2020 garbage, yeah. There is no point to it.

You don’t need to be dreading about what might happen a decade from now to enjoy watching Mahomes.worry about 2030? Better worry about 2023.

As of right now, there are only 3 players under contract for the 2023 season.
Mahomes
Butkicker
Clark (who can be released without a major cap hit)

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
07-12-2020, 01:18 AM
worry about 2030? Better worry about 2023.

Mahomes
Butkicker

Kelce, Tyreek and Honey Badger are must re signs

Bob Dole
07-12-2020, 08:47 AM

Mahomes
Butkicker

How is that even possible?

staylor26
07-12-2020, 08:55 AM

Mahomes
Butkicker

Umm what about our entire rookie class? They aren’t signed yet, but they will be.

BigRedChief
07-12-2020, 09:02 AM
How is that even possible?It's by Veach's design. You cant keep players signed long term and have a dynasty. Except, your franchise QB and if you have a great kicker, lock him up because those skills don't deteriorate until at least 32 or so. Straight out of the Belicheck playbook.

Obviously, they are not sending honey badger, Hill, Kelce, Hardman etc all packing.... but some will be gone. Kelce will be 33 when he starts a year of another contract. Honey badger over 30. etc, etc. Some will have to accept team friendly deals or move on. This year we got 20-22 starters back. Maybe next year its 16-22 back. Then the next year is when you start losing parts you don't want to lose.

O.city
07-12-2020, 09:06 AM
That’s how every team is. It’s not abnormal

Chris Meck
07-12-2020, 09:35 AM
why in the world is anyone panicking about 2023?

LOL

Hoover
07-12-2020, 10:17 AM

Mahomes
Butkicker

So you’re telling me we have a ton of cap space....

KChiefs1
07-12-2020, 10:56 AM

Don’t believe Petro.

RealSNR
07-12-2020, 11:34 AM

Everybody here needs to accept that you have Covid of the brain.

Dr. RealSNR recommends you quarantine for two weeks with a ban.

RunKC
07-12-2020, 11:52 AM
Who was the last great QB to play their entire career with one team? Was it Elway?

And no Eli Manning doesn’t count. He was never great. Pat also won’t bitch out early on his own accord with a non-injury like him either.

RealSNR
07-12-2020, 12:03 PM
Who was the last great QB to play their entire career with one team? Was it Elway?

And no Eli Manning doesn’t count. He was never great. Pat also won’t bitch out early on his own accord with a non-injury like him either.

How many great QBs come down the pipeline to fit your contorted narrative? Not many. It's not an every year thing and far from it. Small sample size absolutely plays a role in, "Name the last great..."

Big Ben is about to retire with his team. Drew Brees is about to retire with his team (yeah yeah he was drafted by San Diego... whatever). Peyton would have retired with his team if he didn't get his neck fucked up and take HGH while the Colts tanked for Andrew Luck. Hey, speaking of which, Andrew Luck retired with HIS team!

Tom Brady wore out his welcome because he's... you know... FORTY FUCKING THREE. If Pat is still playing when he's 43, and the Chiefs want to find his replacement at that point, then sure, I will understand.

This kind of shit happens all the time. Just look around.