PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs 2020 Roster Thoughts/Questions

Pitt Gorilla
07-19-2020, 04:40 PM
Searched for something like this and didn't find anything. So, post thoughts and questions regarding the upcoming season. Here are some of mine:

1) Byron Pringle is going to play. As I noted in the Pringle thread, dude is physically almost identical to Jerry Jeudy. He probably doesn't have Jeudy's route running, but he is 10 lbs heavier and is an outstanding blocker (see SB-clinching run).

2) Daryl Williams position on the team is tenuous, but I think he might make the team (numbers be damned). The running back room (clearly) got more crowded in the offseason with the team's selection of CEH and the signing of DeAndre Washington. Damien is the starter, Clyde's going to get a ton of reps, but Daryl played really well early on when injuries hit the roster last season (prior to his own injury). He ran like a power back and caught the ball well out of the backfield. His game against the Ravens was a showcase (that he couldn't seem to repeat). Either way, I think Lil' Swole is likely out.

3) Our O-line plays really well and likely will again this coming season. However, they don't seem to regularly create the running lanes that teams like the Ravens and 49ers seem to enjoy. Perhaps this is due to a focus on Pass Pro, which makes a ton of sense. But, why not both?

4) Our D-line is going to be really salty. Sans injuries, we're going to have a healthy Frank Clark to begin the season, with Chris Jones and Derrick Nnadi eating up the middle. With a full season under Spags et al., these guys should be good from the get go. It'd be great to see KPass reach his monster athletic potential, even if that means not being able to afford him down the road. I also think players like Taco, Pennel, and Saunders will shine as reserves. Speaks will have an opportunity to remove or cement one of the few remaining question marks surrounding Veach's evaluation skills. I tend to think he'll show out. Either way, that D-line appears pretty deep.

5) The rest of the D should be improved as well. Getting Thornhill back is going to be huge. He and HB are a dynamic pair of safeties and the depth is good with Dan and Fenton playing as well. It'll be fun to watch Spags continue to eschew positional designation for the various DBs and see guys playing all over. The linebackers also got an injection of athleticism and attitude with the addition of Gay.

6) It's kind of exciting having a new punter. I suppose this could end up being good or bad excitement, but having someone new to boot the ball and hold for kicks will be something to watch. Love Townsend's big leg and attitude.

7) I personally hope we can find a TE 2. Bell did a decent job last season, but he's gone. I like Yelder's potential, but know very little about Seals-Jones and Nick Keizer. John Lovett (not Lovitz: Acting!) is my personal favorite as a new toy for the Reid and EB. Is he a TE? Is he an H-back? Fullback? QB?!? That being said, he's proven nothing and I probably wouldn't have HATED seeing the Chiefs take a flier on a 5th round talent like George Kittle...

What do you got?

smithandrew051
07-19-2020, 05:18 PM
I think Mahomes will start at QB

pugsnotdrugs19
07-19-2020, 05:26 PM
How is Pringle going to play with the talent ahead of him? I don’t see it barring injury/COVID issues. He’s got 4 guys ahead of him that are all pretty big parts of the offense.

I also am really excited about the DL. I think they will be the foundation of what will ultimately be a top 10 defense.

RealSNR
07-19-2020, 05:30 PM
We've had a revolving door of JAGs at LG. That's been our problem in the run game.Notice how we started running the ball much better when we picked up Wisniewski and plugged him in as the perma starter at LG.

I really hope somebody ends up being better than Wylie as the day 1 starter at LG, because I don't think he'll ever be more than depth. Hopefully Rankin is completely healthy from his injury-- otherwise we're looking at other JAGs like Hunter or Allegretti and hoping one of them actually strikes what we thought Wylie would become. Andy mentioned Niang moving inside for the time being, but I don't know if we'll trust a position switch AND the elevation from college to pro to a Covid offseason of preparation.

One of these days I hope Veach and Andy bite the bullet and just burn a 2nd to fix that LG spot once and for all.

58-4ever
07-19-2020, 05:30 PM
I like Darrel Williams over lil Swole as well. I am excited to see the speed that Gay brings to LB. it seems like forever that we’ve had a dominant force in the middle of the field.

pugsnotdrugs19
07-19-2020, 05:32 PM
Niang you would think has to have the most upside of the LG options, especially with his tackle athleticism in this scheme. But I think they probably view him as the future at LT maybe and so would they want to move his position right now? Idk.

Whatever gives you the best chance at winning the SB again, window is wide open.

Redbled
07-19-2020, 05:38 PM
I think Seals-Jones will be huge.

BigRedChief
07-19-2020, 05:54 PM
We've had a revolving door of JAGs at LG. That's been our problem in the run game.Notice how we started running the ball much better when we picked up Wisniewski and plugged him in as the perma starter at LG.

I really hope somebody ends up being better than Wylie as the day 1 starter at LG, because I don't think he'll ever be more than depth. Hopefully Rankin is completely healthy from his injury-- otherwise we're looking at other JAGs like Hunter or Allegretti and hoping one of them actually strikes what we thought Wylie would become. Andy mentioned Niang moving inside for the time being, but I don't know if we'll trust a position switch AND the elevation from college to pro to a Covid offseason of preparation.

One of these days I hope Veach and Andy bite the bullet and just burn a 2nd to fix that LG spot once and for all.everything I’ve read is that they see Niang as that long term solution.

BigRedChief
07-19-2020, 05:57 PM
Niang you would think has to have the most upside of the LG options, especially with his tackle athleticism in this scheme. But I think they probably view him as the future at LT maybe and so would they want to move his position right now? Idk.

Whatever gives you the best chance at winning the SB again, window is wide open.
Fisher is allowed to walk at the end of the contract. Schwartz takes LT. Niang at LG. Maybe in two years RT? Center is what Mahomes thinks of Reiter privately to Veach and Reid.

RealSNR
07-19-2020, 05:58 PM

He's probably at least two years away from potentially replacing Schwartz or Fisher.

Chiefshrink
07-19-2020, 06:03 PM
I think Seals-Jones will be huge.

My thoughts exactly. When both are in the game who do you defense? Definitely takes some hits and pressure off of Kelce for sure which is a good thing.;)

Buehler445
07-19-2020, 06:07 PM
I posted in staylor's Veach thread that pretty much the only thing that can sully Veach's roster is catastrophic Eric Berry type injury.

RE: KPass. I was half hoping Veach could sweet talk Kpass into some cheap assed extension to give him another couple cheap years to work with. Kind of like buying options on the futures market.

RE: Defense. There are a lot of factors that led to the defense becoming effective. I'm with you on Clark's health. Big ass factor in our success. There are a couple factors that could cause the wheels to fall off a bit. DJLN posted some really good shit on small intelligent players when their athleticism starts to fade. It certainly is possible that he could be less effective. The overriding thing, though is Spags capacity to keep it fresh. IMO, that was a HUGE factor in our success. Like incalculable. Now, I'm fairly confident he can do it. Even if it is some manner of degrees less effective, we roll. But the other side of the coin is he took a year off to work on his new shit. What's it going to look like with a shorter timeframe? I don't intent to be the chicken little here, but the longer timeframe coupled with his declining effectiveness at other stops is certainly something to watch. I honestly think he's in a good situation with Reid, but I could be wrong on the thing.

Injuries and Spags scheme are really the only thing I'm worried about.

Honestly that's really something. I mean fuck. We went from Because Chiefs - Squirmin Herman Motherfucking Sack of Cunt Edwards/Scott Franchise Killer Pioli to We Good - as long as injuries stay away.

Chiefshrink
07-19-2020, 06:33 PM
I posted in staylor's Veach thread that pretty much the only thing that can sully Veach's roster is catastrophic Eric Berry type injury.

RE: KPass. I was half hoping Veach could sweet talk Kpass into some cheap assed extension to give him another couple cheap years to work with. Kind of like buying options on the futures market.

RE: Defense. There are a lot of factors that led to the defense becoming effective. I'm with you on Clark's health. Big ass factor in our success. There are a couple factors that could cause the wheels to fall off a bit. DJLN posted some really good shit on small intelligent players when their athleticism starts to fade. It certainly is possible that he could be less effective. The overriding thing, though is Spags capacity to keep it fresh. IMO, that was a HUGE factor in our success. Like incalculable. Now, I'm fairly confident he can do it. Even if it is some manner of degrees less effective, we roll. But the other side of the coin is he took a year off to work on his new shit. What's it going to look like with a shorter timeframe? I don't intent to be the chicken little here, but the longer timeframe coupled with his declining effectiveness at other stops is certainly something to watch. I honestly think he's in a good situation with Reid, but I could be wrong on the thing.

Injuries and Spags scheme are really the only thing I'm worried about.

Honestly that's really something. I mean ****. We went from Because Chiefs - Squirmin Herman Mother****ing Sack of **** Edwards/Scott Franchise Killer Pioli to We Good - as long as injuries stay away.

You make some very good points for sure. But I'm not worried about our D at all even with a few injuries(which happens every year) you just don't want to see the season ending injuries to your key star players is your point and I get that, but I think our D grew in a lot moxy confidence last year and even IF a key stud got hurt they don't panic and someone steps up because we are reigning SB champions.;)

Where I am most concerned is the interior O-line. Pat took too many hits last year up the middle IMHO. They aren't physical enough against really good d-lines who push our ass around way too much and Andy had to adjust his play calling to account for this for sure and he could afford to do this and got away with it because of the immense talent we have on offense but.......there is that one time and that is all it takes.:shrug: There was a reason we were behind by 10 with 6:37 to go because up until that point SF d-line was all over Pat.

KurtCobain
07-19-2020, 06:57 PM
If we do end up playing the season on time are there any guard prospects out there that could be on a trading block for a mid-round pick?

Pasta Little Brioni
07-19-2020, 07:09 PM
So tired of hearing about Pringle...

Buehler445
07-19-2020, 07:20 PM
You make some very good points for sure. But I'm not worried about our D at all even with a few injuries(which happens every year) you just don't want to see the season ending injuries to your key star players is your point and I get that, but I think our D grew in a lot moxy confidence last year and even IF a key stud got hurt they don't panic and someone steps up because we are reigning SB champions.;)

Where I am most concerned is the interior O-line. Pat took too many hits last year up the middle IMHO. They aren't physical enough against really good d-lines who push our ass around way too much and Andy had to adjust his play calling to account for this for sure and he could afford to do this and got away with it because of the immense talent we have on offense but.......there is that one time and that is all it takes.:shrug: There was a reason we were behind by 10 with 6:37 to go because up until that point SF d-line was all over Pat.

Fair point about OL.

I think at least SOME of that was limited mobility from Mahomes ankle.

Here's to hoping Mahomes can stay upright and mobile, because you know he's going to stay and make the play.

Megatron96
07-19-2020, 07:22 PM
In the video clips I've seen, Seals-Jones looks pretty athletic, has some speed (4.69 sec/40-yd), shows technical proficiency catching the ball, and looks like a good route-runner. He could have himself a pretty good season, depending on how much of the playbook he picks up.

Chiefshrink
07-19-2020, 07:22 PM
because you know he's going to stay and make the play.

And that's what I love about the kid he hangs in there every time and takes the hit.:thumb:

Chiefshrink
07-19-2020, 07:25 PM
In the video clips I've seen, Seals-Jones looks pretty athletic, has some speed (4.69 sec/40-yd), shows technical proficiency catching the ball, and looks like a good route-runner. He could have himself a pretty good season, depending on how much of the playbook he picks up.

I think he is more athletic than Kelce quite frankly and why this will be a great addition to add just one more wrinkle to our offense.;)

Buehler445
07-19-2020, 07:29 PM

Meh. I'm a Pringle fan. He's never going to rule the NFL, but I think he can play.

If for no other reason, I think he can be a competent returner/ WR4. They don't seem to want to go there as a returner. Whatever. I'm just rooting for the guy is all, even if it isn't here. That's something for a KU guy rooting for a KSU guy for reasons other than Chief.

Megatron96
07-19-2020, 07:37 PM
I think he is more athletic than Kelce quite frankly and why this will be a great addition to add just one more wrinkle to our offense.;)

Don't know if he's more athletic, but he is younger, so maybe he is. Having him and Kelce on the field at the same time is going to really put opposing defenses in a bind. The middle of the field could become a free-for-all with Kelce, Watkins, CEH and Seals-Jones all running routes between the numbers. Kelce will command a double (LB/S or similar), Watkins will get a CB2 at least, CEH will drag their fastest LB, and then what do you do about Jones? He's basically the same stature as Kelce and just a tenth of a second slower. In the RZ a scenario like this could be just lethal.

Direckshun
07-19-2020, 08:35 PM
1) Byron Pringle is going to play. As I noted in the Pringle thread, dude is physically almost identical to Jerry Jeudy. He probably doesn't have Jeudy's route running, but he is 10 lbs heavier and is an outstanding blocker (see SB-clinching run).

How is Pringle going to play with the talent ahead of him? I don’t see it barring injury/COVID issues. He’s got 4 guys ahead of him that are all pretty big parts of the offense.

Meh. I'm a Pringle fan. He's never going to rule the NFL, but I think he can play.

If for no other reason, I think he can be a competent returner/ WR4. They don't seem to want to go there as a returner. Whatever. I'm just rooting for the guy is all, even if it isn't here. That's something for a KU guy rooting for a KSU guy for reasons other than Chief.

Pringle is a smart player with all the physicals you need to be a capable WR3. Matter of fact, I think he'll be our WR3 in 2021. This year, he'll just marinate and jump in when there's an injury.

Hell of a find by the personnel department. His games against the Colts and the Raiders, as well as key blocks he threw all season -- including the title-winner -- must only endear him to the coaching staff.

I think he's going to be a Sorensen-type guy, who hangs around as 3rd and 4th on the depth chart for a few years as a reliable hand who the staff trusts.

Direckshun
07-19-2020, 08:41 PM
2) Daryl Williams position on the team is tenuous, but I think he might make the team (numbers be damned). The running back room (clearly) got more crowded in the offseason with the team's selection of CEH and the signing of DeAndre Washington. Damien is the starter, Clyde's going to get a ton of reps, but Daryl played really well early on when injuries hit the roster last season (prior to his own injury). He ran like a power back and caught the ball well out of the backfield. His game against the Ravens was a showcase (that he couldn't seem to repeat). Either way, I think Lil' Swole is likely out.

First of all, not that it matters, but it's Darrel Williams at RB. We picked up a Darryl Williams at C as a UDFA this offseason, though.

With the roster expanding to 55 players, I think it's reasonable that we keep four RBs and then have a couple others in the wings that we can scoop up if/when Covid strikes.

My guess:
Damien Williams gets 60% of the snap share for 10 or so games.
Edwards-Helaire overtakes him down the stretch, but Clyde and Damien still run a 60/40 split come playoff time. Reid has a history of sticking with his initial lineups for most of the year but then gradually promoting the best talent as December arrives.
Darrel Williams and DeAndre Washington are the best fits, mostly because Darwin cannot block to save his life.
Darwin likely heads to the practice squad.

Direckshun
07-19-2020, 08:50 PM
3) Our O-line plays really well and likely will again this coming season. However, they don't seem to regularly create the running lanes that teams like the Ravens and 49ers seem to enjoy. Perhaps this is due to a focus on Pass Pro, which makes a ton of sense. But, why not both?

One of these days I hope Veach and Andy bite the bullet and just burn a 2nd to fix that LG spot once and for all.

everything I’ve read is that they see Niang as that long term solution.

Fisher is allowed to walk at the end of the contract. Schwartz takes LT. Niang at LG. Maybe in two years RT? Center is what Mahomes thinks of Reiter privately to Veach and Reid.

He's probably at least two years away from potentially replacing Schwartz or Fisher.

If we do end up playing the season on time are there any guard prospects out there that could be on a trading block for a mid-round pick?

We have a 7th round pick for 2021, and a ton of roster-bubble guys.

Veach is going to spin some of those assets into a guard prospect that's going to hit it out of the park, because Veach is the goddamn man.

As for the question the OP asked as to why we can't seem to open holes -- everybody else, first and foremost SNR, has nailed. Our guard play is weak, though our center play is decent.

Keep in mind, the Chiefs threw serious money to Andrus Peat this offseason, only to lose out to the Saints. The Chiefs wanted to make a serious investment at the interior of the line. They know what they have isn't good enough.

Wylie, I think, is in pole position. I don't know if the staff trusts Martinas Rankin yet because he hasn't been around long enough. I think Allegretti and Darryl Williams are centers to backup Reiter. The player everybody is overlooking is Mike Remmers, though. I think the Chiefs really like this guy, but that's just a hunch. He has Wisniewski potential, I think.

But I do have some hope in Durant, the UDFA out of Missouri. I think he has some juice going forward.

I *think* our future holds 2020 and 2021 as marinating years for Lucas Niang. I suspect we'll extend Schwartz in 2021, and we'll let Fisher play out his contract and walk in 2022. Niang -- who let's remember, has never given up a sack in college at LT -- would be a natural to groom for that.

I really, really hope they do not move Niang. Keep him as a swing tackle until he can take the mantle.

Direckshun
07-19-2020, 08:58 PM
4) Our D-line is going to be really salty. Sans injuries, we're going to have a healthy Frank Clark to begin the season, with Chris Jones and Derrick Nnadi eating up the middle. With a full season under Spags et al., these guys should be good from the get go. It'd be great to see KPass reach his monster athletic potential, even if that means not being able to afford him down the road. I also think players like Taco, Pennel, and Saunders will shine as reserves. Speaks will have an opportunity to remove or cement one of the few remaining question marks surrounding Veach's evaluation skills. I tend to think he'll show out. Either way, that D-line appears pretty deep.

I also am really excited about the DL. I think they will be the foundation of what will ultimately be a top 10 defense.

The DE position is the most insane position we have on this roster right now. Look at it:

Frank Clark
Alex Okafor
Tanoh Kpassagnon
Demone Harris
Taco Charlton
Breeland Speaks
Michael Danna

And that doesn't even include dudes like Tim Ward that have practice squad potential.

But what the hell are the Chiefs going to do with that depth chart?

Clark/Okafor/Kpassagnon are clearly the top three. I assume the Chiefs keep five?
Demone Harris was a reason why our run D got better down the stretch, but he can't passrush. Taco Charlton is loaded with potential but has disappointed everyone before coming here -- however pairing him with his BFF Frank Clark may actually coax his potential out.
Breeland Speaks is a mystery wrapped in a riddle.
Michael Danna doesn't even look like a Spags DE, but the staff seems to love him. I suspect Spags doesn't even know what this group looks like. Honestly wouldn't surprise me to see him tinker a ton in the first half of the season before finding the right combo to pummel teams with as December arrives.

scho63
07-20-2020, 02:42 AM
So tired of hearing about Pringles...

https://d2d8wwwkmhfcva.cloudfront.net/800x/d2lnr5mha7bycj.cloudfront.net/product-image/file/large_0c0a858e-114c-4f32-8830-9327d878cca5.jpg

Pitt Gorilla
07-20-2020, 01:59 PM
The DE position is the most insane position we have on this roster right now. Look at it:

Frank Clark
Alex Okafor
Tanoh Kpassagnon
Demone Harris
Taco Charlton
Breeland Speaks
Michael Danna

And that doesn't even include dudes like Tim Ward that have practice squad potential.

But what the hell are the Chiefs going to do with that depth chart?

Clark/Okafor/Kpassagnon are clearly the top three. I assume the Chiefs keep five?
Demone Harris was a reason why our run D got better down the stretch, but he can't passrush. Taco Charlton is loaded with potential but has disappointed everyone before coming here -- however pairing him with his BFF Frank Clark may actually coax his potential out.
Breeland Speaks is a mystery wrapped in a riddle.
Michael Danna doesn't even look like a Spags DE, but the staff seems to love him. I suspect Spags doesn't even know what this group looks like. Honestly wouldn't surprise me to see him tinker a ton in the first half of the season before finding the right combo to pummel teams with as December arrives.D-tackle is insanely deep as well. If it really does "all start up front", we're going to be pretty good.

At some point, do we need to worry about missing Breeland for a week or 3?

Megatron96
07-20-2020, 02:06 PM

IMO, no we don't. Breeland's real strength is his physical play, which really becomes significant in the playoffs anyway, when the refs allow more grabbing, hand-fighting anyway. Early in the season he got flagged for that kind of thing semi-regularly which promulgated the idea that Breeland was a terrible CB, that he couldn't cover anyone, That he was drawing too many flags, and that he needed to be traded/cut in favor of whoever might've been available that week.

Spags will insert someone if need be to cover for Breeland's absence, they'll be serviceable at the very least, with Matthieu and Thornhill covering them over the top, and then Breeland will be back sometime in the second quarter of the season and good to go by week 8 or 9.

Pitt Gorilla
07-20-2020, 02:11 PM
IMO, no we don't. Breeland's real strength is his physical play, which really becomes significant in the playoffs anyway, when the refs allow more grabbing, hand-fighting anyway. Early in the season he got flagged for that kind of thing semi-regularly which promulgated the idea that Breeland was a terrible CB, that he couldn't cover anyone, That he was drawing too many flags, and that he needed to be traded/cut in favor of whoever might've been available that week.

Spags will insert someone if need be to cover for Breeland's absence, they'll be serviceable at the very least, with Matthieu and Thornhill covering them over the top, and then Breeland will be back sometime in the second quarter of the season and good to go by week 8 or 9.That sounds just about perfect. Does Bopete make the roster?

RealSNR
07-20-2020, 02:21 PM
D-tackle is insanely deep as well. If it really does "all start up front", we're going to be pretty good.

Not afraid of the Texans. The Chargers could get awfully hairy. Luckily they'll still be in Tyrod Taylor mode more than likely, so we won't have to worry about our secondary covering beyond 10 yards downfield.

Megatron96
07-20-2020, 02:27 PM
Does Bopete make the roster?

Honestly no idea. I'd have to review whatever film there is on the guy, and then try to get inside Spag's head and decide if Bopete was a Spags guy. Haven't spent any time doing either to this point. Spags seems to like bigger CBs, values length and physicality more than absolute speed/individual talent. he also seems to like CBs that will stick their noses in the run game. Ward, Breeland, Fenton and even Claiborne showed that they could and would chop down RBs that came their way.

If Bopete is a bigger guy that likes to mix it up both with receivers and RBs along the edges, he at least will have a shot.

RealSNR
07-20-2020, 02:29 PM
That sounds just about perfect. Does Bopete make the roster?

Why wouldn't he?

Breeland (doesn't count against the 55 for two weeks)
Ward
Fenton
Snead

He's for sure on the roster Weeks 1 and 2, and beyond that the only way he's in trouble is if one of our (albeit promising) camp fodder undrafted guys take him out.

Megatron96
07-20-2020, 03:07 PM
Why wouldn't he?

Breeland (doesn't count against the 55 for two weeks)
Ward
Fenton
Snead

He's for sure on the roster Weeks 1 and 2, and beyond that the only way he's in trouble is if one of our (albeit promising) camp fodder undrafted guys take him out.

Didn't realize just how thin we were at CB. That makes sense then. Bopete should just step right into a slot.

BigRedChief
07-20-2020, 04:31 PM

There always has to be a Boomer Grisby that people on the Planet think Would achieve greatness if only allowed a chance.

Tribal Warfare
07-20-2020, 04:50 PM

Why is everyone talking up Niang at LT, because he was a RT at TCU

RealSNR
07-20-2020, 05:07 PM
Why is everyone talking up Niang at LT, because he was a RT at TCU

Because if he reaches his potential, we'll probably want him protecting Mahomes' blind side? You know, since LTs don't grow on trees...

The Browns are planning on switching Jedrick Wills to LT. We once switched John Tait to RT. Hell, Jeff Allen started an equal number of games at both left and right tackle in college. And had he not gotten injured, he probably would have been our starting RT for the entire 2014 season.

BWillie
07-20-2020, 05:12 PM

It's just because he went to K-State. The guy is a JAG. Thats it. A fringe NFL player. If they thought he was worth a shit, they wouldn't have re-signed D-Rob...who can barely catch a football in the first place.

Tribal Warfare
07-20-2020, 05:29 PM
Because if he reaches his potential, we'll probably want him protecting Mahomes' blind side? You know, since LTs don't grow on trees...

The Browns are planning on switching Jedrick Wills to LT. We once switched John Tait to RT. Hell, Jeff Allen started an equal number of games at both left and right tackle in college. And had he not gotten injured, he probably would have been our starting RT for the entire 2014 season.

Again, unless he was protecting a southpaw in TCU. I'd pump the brakes on the LT assumption because most likely he's the starting OG or Schwartz's heir apparent.

RealSNR
07-20-2020, 05:31 PM
It's just because he went to K-State. The guy is a JAG. Thats it. A fringe NFL player. If they thought he was worth a shit, they wouldn't have re-signed D-Rob...who can barely catch a football in the first place.

:facepalm:

They re-signed Robinson because he couldn't get WR2/3 type money on another team, and the terms of the new CBA make it so he pretty much counts $0 against the cap on a 1-year deal. And since the theme of this season is "run it back," why the fuck wouldn't you re-sign him to that offer?

And if another team did give Robinson the contract he was looking for, the Chiefs would have calmly had open competition in training camp. More than likely Pringle would have come out of that competition winning the WR4 spot.

Do you really need or want more than Pringle out of your WR4? Do you actually believe the Chiefs went into the offseason going, "Oh no! What if Robinson leaves! That means Pringle will be our #4 WR!!! We're dooooooomed!"

RealSNR
07-20-2020, 05:40 PM
Again, unless he was protecting a southpaw in TCU. I'd pump the brakes on the LT assumption because most likely he's the starting OG or Schwartz's heir apparent.

Nobody's assuming anything. They're saying that if he ends up being a great NFL player, he COULD play LT.

Eric Fisher turned 29 in January. It's possible he could still be entrenched as the starter at LT by the time Niang finishes his rookie contract and we let him walk for a comp pick. Schwartz just turned 31 in June-- the same could be said about him. Likewise, both dudes could see their play decline in 1-2 years. We don't know.

Andy Reid has repeatedly said he prefers to play the best 5 guys on the OL. If Fisher is gone in 3 years, and Niang is the best OT we've got, he's going to go in at LT. And that's okay. That shit happens all the time in the NFL.

MahiMike
07-20-2020, 06:39 PM
I just rewatched the Superbowl and our OL struggled. Granted that is a helluva line SF has but...

DaneMcCloud
07-20-2020, 06:44 PM
Andy Reid has repeatedly said he prefers to play the best 5 guys on the OL. If Fisher is gone in 3 years, and Niang is the best OT we've got, he's going to go in at LT. And that's okay. That shit happens all the time in the NFL.

The Chiefs just won a Super Bowl in a season in which the only two consistent game-to-game starters were Mitch Schwartz and Austin Reiter.

People around here just put too much emphasis on the offensive line in general.

The Chiefs don't need five All Pro's on their offensive line like Dallas needs because Andy can scheme around anyone.

DaneMcCloud
07-20-2020, 06:46 PM
I just rewatched the Superbowl and our OL struggled. Granted that is a helluva line SF has but...

Yeah, they really struggled putting up 31 points against a Top Five defense during the biggest game of their lives.

Chiefshrink
07-20-2020, 09:57 PM
The Chiefs just won a Super Bowl in a season in which the only two consistent game-to-game starters were Mitch Schwartz and Austin Reiter.

People around here just put too much emphasis on the offensive line in general.

The Chiefs don't need five All Pro's on their offensive line like Dallas needs because Andy can scheme around anyone.

Surely you don't think Pat is expendable ?. I don't and neither does anybody else on this board. When you have theeee best QB in the NFL who is a future HOFer that is ripe for Super Bowl runs who could end up being the GOAT you find and put the best OL in front of him that you can PERIOD. Pat has taken way too many hits up the middle since he has started and his knee cap would not have ever happened IF we were tougher up the middle when you look at the replay.

Don't care how fancy a house is built IF the foundation is not totally solid. Our o-line is not solid enough to protect the GOAT IMHO.

pugsnotdrugs19
07-20-2020, 10:14 PM
The offensive line was plenty good enough in the playoffs, aided by Mahomes being healthy. Can they be better? Sure. But even as is, it’s absolutely a top 10 pass blocking group. Hard to bitch a ton. Hopefully they don’t miss Wisniewski too much. Seems like LDT’s best days are behind him too which is unfortunate.

Pitt Gorilla
07-20-2020, 10:19 PM
The offensive line was plenty good enough in the playoffs, aided by Mahomes being healthy. Can they be better? Sure. But even as is, it’s absolutely a top 10 pass blocking group. Hard to bitch a ton. Hopefully they don’t miss Wisniewski too much. Seems like LDT’s best days are behind him too which is unfortunate.I disagree completely. He got better and better as the year went on.