PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Patrick Mahomes purposefully took less to keep Chris Jones

RunKC
07-20-2020, 01:11 PM
From Chris Jones presser this morning. Amazing

Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes helped resolve Chris Jones' extension with a text message

Kansas City Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes played a part in keeping DT Chris Jones around on a long-term deal.

If you’ll recall, things didn’t appear to be going well in contract negotiations between the Chiefs and Jones, at least to the public eye. Jones had been vocal, really dating back to when the team placed the franchise tag on him, that he didn’t want to play on the franchise tag. That eventually culminated into Jones suggesting he might not play on Twitter.

So what changed the fortunes between the Chiefs and Jones that led to a long-term deal? Apparently, it was a text message from the recently-extended star QB Patrick Mahomes.

“Me, personally, I kind of had a feeling a deal was going to get done,” Jones said on Monday. “Crazy story actually: When Pat’s deal got done, as soon as his deal got done, Pat texts me and said, ‘Let’s get this thing done. I left some on the table, let’s get this thing done.’ And that’s when I had the security that me and the Chiefs were going to work something out. I was confident that they were going to make sure we get something done.”

After Mahomes signed a half-billion-dollar contract extension, it’s hard not to wonder what money is left as a player awaiting an extension. All it took was a little reassurance from Mahomes for Jones to know that he was in the future plans for Kansas City and that things were on track.

“As we were working through this process, the Katz Brothers (Jones’ agents) did an amazing job of just showing their patience and being understanding of the current climate and what was going on,” Chiefs GM Brett Veach explained. “We met at the combine and we told them that, ‘Listen, this is a priority. Chris Jones will be a Chief. But help us navigate this free agency process and then we’ll be in good shape to understand where we are.’ And then as soon as we got through that process, this [coronavirus] hit and everything got kind of turned upside down. It would have been very easy for Chris to get upset, for the Katz Brothers to get upset, but they understood the climate. And they understood that things were going to get done, but they were going to take longer than anticipated.”

There wasn’t a whole lot of communication between the two parties along the way, mainly because what Veach described as a need for more information amidst the pandemic. At the end of the day, it came down to that original commitment Veach made to Jones back at the combine and Mahomes’ eagerness to see his brother signed and rewarded.

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2020/07/20/kansas-city-chiefs-patrick-mahomes-role-chris-jones-contract-extension/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=NFLdraftmaverickJeff

BossChief
07-20-2020, 01:21 PM
Same thing with Sammy. Pat told both of them that if they all would take a little less they would keep em together and run it back. That’s what happened.

KC_Connection
07-20-2020, 01:22 PM
He took less to keep and acquire a lot of guys over the next 10 years. It was a massive bargain contract for the Chiefs.

Brady's records and status will all fall to Mahomes and this is part of the reason why.

Hayneplane
07-20-2020, 01:31 PM
The guy lives for the fun of winning and glory not the ego trip of maxing his contract. Awesome attitude and the maturity to understand that if he takes a quarter of the cake the crumbs left won’t secure enough quality to ensure they can all dine out in style come seasons end.

dlphg9
07-20-2020, 01:37 PM
I give myself to Patrick Mahomes. Take all of me!

Gravedigger
07-20-2020, 01:42 PM
I mean if Mahomes shows up to your house, and says "I'm taking your wife." I mean, for most men they'd gladly hand them over, but even a guy like Tom Brady would have to be like, "Alright then." While Gisele stares at him in disgust he's going to respond, "What can I do honey?!"

Nothing... that's what.

Dunerdr
07-20-2020, 02:16 PM
I wish to carry this mans babies. (Pats, I aint letting Jones anaconda anywhere near me.)

MMXcalibur
07-20-2020, 02:37 PM
That long, arduous wait for our very own franchise quarterback was worth it.
I'd cheer Mahomes on if he was banging my wife.

Chiefspants
07-20-2020, 02:39 PM

100%.

Little did we know the wait would be required for a transformative human/athlete like Pat.

Hydrae
07-20-2020, 02:43 PM
This is great and much of what we all thought last week when this got done.

I do have to pick on this though:

That eventually culminated into Jones suggesting he might not play on Twitter.

Thank God. We want him playing on a football field, not Twitter! :)

Marcellus
07-20-2020, 03:14 PM

Mahomes will be the main reason it will be possible to even watch the NFL this season.

Nickhead
07-20-2020, 03:21 PM
it gives me the shits when the media 'experts' lambasted mahomes contract as him not getting what he deserves.

what will mahomes net worth be from endorsements in the next three years? he knew he could afford to give a hometeam discount from him knowing how much he will make.

tatorhog
07-20-2020, 03:27 PM
it gives me the shits when the media 'experts' lambasted mahomes contract as him not getting what he deserves.

what will mahomes net worth be from endorsements in the next three years? he knew he could afford to give a hometeam discount from him knowing how much he will make.

He sacrifices some salary to have a winning team, which in turn yields more money via endorsements. He's not dumb.

comochiefsfan
07-20-2020, 03:42 PM
Don’t know how to embed the video from my phone, but Mike Whorio was mad as hell about Mahomes taking less money again today.

The media is so mad that Mahomes isn’t wringing us dry and that they’re going to have to deal with a small market team in flyover country running the league for the next 12 years.

Chiefspants
07-20-2020, 03:45 PM
Don’t know how to embed the video from my phone, but Mike Whorio was mad as hell about Mahomes taking less money again today.

The media is so mad that Mahomes isn’t wringing us dry and that they’re going to have to deal with a small market team in flyover country running the league for the next 12 years.

The angriest folks I've seen are typically from the "old guard" of the remnant Cowboys dynasty. I feel like you really saw Aikman's insecurity about Mahomes when he started laughing watching a replay of Tartt tatooing Pat in the SB (hardest hit Pat took all game). It's like the Chiefs are the "new money" franchise on their "old money" turf or some such lol.

I like to remind Cowboys fans that Jerruh has given them the most profitable franchise in football (Washington is #3). That has to count for something, right?! LMAO

tredadda
07-20-2020, 03:45 PM
He sacrifices some salary to have a winning team, which in turn yields more money via endorsements. He's not dumb.

Not just that but people will never remember how much he made, but they will remember how many rings he gets. That’s why Brady is considered the GOAT.

big nasty kcnut
07-20-2020, 04:06 PM
Pat Mahomes is why everything alright! Also he the QB for the reigning defending super bowl champion aka the conquerors Kansas City Chiefs!

KChiefs1
07-20-2020, 04:10 PM

Yeah I saw that. What a moron.

DrRyan
07-20-2020, 04:15 PM

It was great watching Simms dismantle him. Remind me what Florio's last accurate football take was? Anybody?

BigRedChief
07-20-2020, 04:17 PM
It was great watching Simms dismantle him. Remind me what Florio's last accurate football take was? Anybody?

Maybe sometime in the 90’s?

comochiefsfan
07-20-2020, 04:18 PM

I’m still confused about why he’s even weighing in on stuff like this.

I thought he was going to stop covering the league if Tyreek Hill was allowed to play again?

He backed down of course because he’s a small man with no conviction and a brain the size of acorn. He’s a clown who knows less about football than the average fan. No idea how he has a platform.

DRM08
07-20-2020, 05:36 PM
Other franchises will not be so lucky.

Kiimo
07-20-2020, 05:41 PM

I just watched that.

What a dipshit

Sassy Squatch
07-20-2020, 05:56 PM
Jesus, he was actually whining about it. LMAO What a doofus.

staylor26
07-20-2020, 05:58 PM
Link?

Sassy Squatch
07-20-2020, 05:59 PM
https://youtu.be/jVrAdDPUatg

JakeF
07-20-2020, 06:16 PM
Again, we couldn't ask for a better Quarterback than Mahomes.

Thanks Dorsey.

comochiefsfan
07-20-2020, 06:29 PM
Again, we couldn't ask for a better Quarterback than Mahomes.

Thanks Dorsey.

You think Dorsey would be smart enough with the cap to keep Jones and Sammy?

Do you think he would have had a good enough relationship with Pat where he could convince him to do a team friendly deal?

Do you think John Dorsey would have had any players calling him “their muthafucking dog”?

Don’t thank John Dorsey, thank Brett Veach.

wazu
07-20-2020, 06:31 PM

Do you think he would have had a good enough relationship with Pat where he could convince him to do a team friendly deal?

Do you think John Dorsey would have had any players calling him “their muthafucking dog”?

Thank them both.

JakeF
07-20-2020, 06:32 PM

Dorsey drafted Mahomes

The credit for the rest of that stuff goes to Veach.

JakeF
07-20-2020, 06:39 PM
Thank them both.
I don't see why so many people refuse to give credit to Dorsey for the players he drafted. He drafted a lot of the players that are key players for us right now.

Of course Veach gets credit for everything that's happened after Dorsey left.

I just thanked Dorsey because everyone is calling Veach the goat but think Dorsey sucks.

Dorsey was with Green Bay when they drafted Rodgers(also picked up Favre)
With Chiefs when they drafted Mahomes
With Cleveland when they drafted Mayfield

What other GM has picked up that much QB talent?

wazu
07-20-2020, 06:43 PM
Dorsey made one of the more aggressive trades in NFL history to draft a QB when most would have said it was not a position of need. Veach is the guy who found the QB. They are both legendary KC GMs in my mind.

Hammock Parties
07-20-2020, 06:45 PM
lol

Pat basically told Jones to "sign, bitch" in the kindest way possible

amazing

BossChief
07-20-2020, 06:51 PM
lol

Pat basically told Jones to "sign, bitch" in the kindest way possible

amazing

They had discussed it months earlier.

All 3 of them.

Buehler445
07-20-2020, 08:41 PM
I postulated as much when the 2 deals fit together so well.

That’s a hell of a thing. How the hell do you get that text and play hardball and say I need more.

Mahomes man. Jesus.

wazu
07-20-2020, 08:48 PM
Just checked Florio’s twitter feed and this story was not mentioned.

Simply Red
07-20-2020, 09:09 PM
He took less to keep and acquire a lot of guys over the next 10 years. It was a massive bargain contract for the Chiefs.

Brady's records and status will all fall to Mahomes and this is part of the reason why.

Also notice we never get the occasional Pat Fan trolls. I couldn't tell you the last time I have seen one, aside from one regular. Hell Aminorix didn't even stick around to give us any credit.

Too funny and CERTAINLY too 'telling.'

comochiefsfan
07-20-2020, 09:15 PM
Just checked Florio’s twitter feed and this story was not mentioned.

That’s smart of Florio not to promote his dipshit takes.

comochiefsfan
07-20-2020, 09:16 PM
Also notice we never get the occasional Pat Fan trolls. I couldn't tell you the last time I have seen one, aside from one regular. Hell Aminorix didn't even stick around to give us any credit.

Too funny and CERTAIN too 'telling.'

Pats fans know their time is over. Don’t blame them for staying away.

Pitt Gorilla
07-20-2020, 09:34 PM
Wouldn't surprise me at all if Pat perpetually "renegotiates" his deal to free up cap when needed. He knows he's getting paid regardless and wants to win.

I'm just glad he's our QB.

wazu
07-20-2020, 09:42 PM
Wouldn't surprise me at all if Pat perpetually "renegotiates" his deal to free up cap when needed. He knows he's getting paid regardless and wants to win.

I'm just glad he's our QB.

Through perpetual success, the money Mahomes makes in endorsements will dwarf his NFL pay. He will be a legit billionaire.

RealSNR
07-20-2020, 09:59 PM
http://www.thedrawplay.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/2020-07-10-MahomesMoney.png

Pitt Gorilla
07-20-2020, 10:39 PM
Man, watching Alex get Tyreek killed in this game against Oakland makes me appreciate Pat that much more. FFS, Alex.

KC_Connection
07-21-2020, 02:04 AM

Too funny and CERTAINLY too 'telling.'
It’s to be expected. The dynasty is over and a new one is emerging.

Pats fans are actually afraid of Mahomes. Deep down, they must know he’s better than Brady ever was (you simply just have to watch him play to see that) and could pass him in the end if things break right for the Chiefs.

displacedinMN
07-21-2020, 06:22 AM
Kid is all about team. Not about the "me"

tatorhog
07-21-2020, 08:47 AM
Not just that but people will never remember how much he made, but they will remember how many rings he gets. That’s why Brady is considered the GOAT.

Exactly. He can see the way to make just as much, if not more while helping the brass field a team that is competitive.

His old man taught him how to properly navigate this world as a professional athlete. He's setting himself up for a run at GOAT status if he maintains this level of play while keeping a solid team around him.

DRM08
07-21-2020, 09:06 AM
It’s to be expected. The dynasty is over and a new one is emerging.

Pats fans are actually afraid of Mahomes. Deep down, they must know he’s better than Brady ever was (you simply just have to watch him play to see that) and could pass him in the end if things break right for the Chiefs.

He’s more talented overall and better than any 24 year old QB besides Marino, but I would not say he’s better right now than peak Brady. Patrick is still learning and it will be interesting to see what kind of QB he will be around age 30. The potential is off the charts for sure. Health needs to be a top priority for him moving forward.

staylor26
07-21-2020, 09:19 AM
Finally watched the video.

Florio is BIG MAD LMAO

Chris Meck
07-21-2020, 09:28 AM
Patrick knows all about being the whole team. He's lived it for most of his football life.

Now he knows what it's like to WIN.

I'm not surprised that he structured his deal to be able to build around him.

Winning must feel really good.

staylor26
07-21-2020, 09:33 AM
Hey Florio,

We got a Tyreek on a team friendly deal too. All thanks to you and everybody else that jumped to conclusions.

Thanks bruh!

Mecca
07-21-2020, 09:37 AM
Pretty sure that is all about a guy not wanting the Chiefs to be good for a long period of time and now he's annoyed the Chiefs are gonna be a favorite for the foreseeable future.

There's 2 trains of thought here, 1 Patriot fans don't want their dynasty challenged, Patriot haters don't want to see another team replace the Patriots and do the same thing so both of those groups are pissed.

RunKC
07-21-2020, 09:53 AM
Patrick knows all about being the whole team. He's lived it for most of his football life.

Now he knows what it's like to WIN.

I'm not surprised that he structured his deal to be able to build around him.

Winning must feel really good.

I think it was bc of seeing his dad struggle to win. To my knowledge his dad never even made it to the World Series.

He’s also from Tyler, TX which is 90 minutes from Dallas, which also is technically closer to Shreveport, Louisiana. He grew up the right way in a smaller town with a humble family.

The man just doesn’t care that much about money. KC is a cheap place to live and the guy doesn’t have to pay for anything. Flies for free, eats for free, trains for free. His payment to them is just endorsements on social media.

He truly is amazing and I constantly wake up feeling grateful. I will never ever take a single snap of his for granted.

O.city
07-21-2020, 10:52 AM
Someone point me to this florio video

The Franchise
07-21-2020, 10:55 AM
Someone point me to this florio video

Post 26

staylor26
07-21-2020, 10:56 AM
Here you go O.City

https://youtu.be/jVrAdDPUatg

O.city
07-21-2020, 11:10 AM
Lol. What a dipshit.

If Mahomes is good with it, why should anyone else care?

Nevermind he's probably getting what from Adidas and what from Oakley? And the private jet company?

Oh right/

Mecca
07-21-2020, 11:12 AM
Lol. What a dipshit.

If Mahomes is good with it, why should anyone else care?

Nevermind he's probably getting what from Adidas and what from Oakley? And the private jet company?

Oh right/

A lot of people had convinced themselves that the Chiefs would stop winning after paying Mahomes, when it looks like that isn't the case they are not happy.

O.city
07-21-2020, 11:14 AM
Look at what the guy could do in KC with the chiefs and the current support system he has. He literally will never pay for a meal or drink in Kc. Ever.

He could call up any business in KC and sign as a spokesman for them immediately. Any company. Boulevard beer? Sure we'd love to have you. Hallmark? Fuck we'll make a line of Mahomes chocolate that is the shape of his hair.

Then on the field, he's basically under what amounts to zero pressure to win here, especially SB"s. He's won 1 here so he could shit his pants on the sideline for the rest of his career and he'll be loved.

Why woudl you want to leave any of this?