PDA

View Full Version : Life Donuts. when did they become so hard to make? why is it a mystery to get them right?

CarlosCarson27
07-21-2020, 02:19 PM
I moved to Salem Oregon in 2015.
Ive been to 3 donut shops and got donuts at walmart too.
all of them sell donuts that...well, the breading is like bread dough. Its missing something. Its not like pastry dough. It gets harder faster.

did donut shops all change? does Winchells do this now?
seriously? is it that effing hard to make a donut now?
who started this stupid trend?

ptlyon
07-21-2020, 02:22 PM

There's your problem.

Seriously though, when you say like bread dough, like a cake donut? Or like a glazed donut that might not be cooked all the way?

The Franchise
07-21-2020, 02:24 PM
all of them sell donuts that...well, the breading is like bread dough. Its missing something. Its not like pastry dough. It gets harder faster.

What donut shops in Salem have you tried?

CarlosCarson27
07-21-2020, 02:26 PM
There's your problem.

Seriously though, when you say like bread dough, like a cake donut? Or like a glazed donut that might not be cooked all the way?

no, they arent using donut ingredients that i remember. The donuts are more like a breading.. it wouldnt work.. for say.. a buttermilk donut or a french donut.
they arent soft like they use to be

CarlosCarson27
07-21-2020, 02:27 PM
What donut shops in Salem have you tried?

we have stupid shops like "all day donuts"

i think they used to be Dunkin locations

The Franchise
07-21-2020, 02:31 PM
we have stupid shops like "ll day donuts"

i think they used to be Dunkin locations

Try Bearscat donuts or King donuts.

KCUnited
07-21-2020, 02:35 PM
More style over substance, at least here anyway. I worked overnight making donuts the summer after my senior year. When I wasn't glued to the police scanner tripping my balls off, I'd try to pick up pointers from the owner on his dough process. He would constantly be knowledge sharing with other bakers, pizza shop owners, etc in the middle of the night on everything dough. He churned out consistently great donuts as a result.

CarlosCarson27
07-21-2020, 02:36 PM
Try Bearscat donuts or King donuts.

Bearscat?

King Donuts.. they open and close too early lol.
why should i have to get a donut like i'm hunting fish? lol

but yeah, pretty sure i've seen a King donuts

CarlosCarson27
07-21-2020, 02:37 PM
More style over substance, at least here anyway. I worked overnight making donuts the summer after my senior year. When I wasn't glued to the police scanner tripping my balls off, I'd try to pick up pointers from the owner on his dough process. He would constantly be knowledge sharing with other bakers, pizza shop owners, etc in the middle of the night on everything dough. He churned out consistently great donuts.

but you understand What i'm referring to,right?

eDave
07-21-2020, 02:39 PM
It's rather easy to make your own.

KCUnited
07-21-2020, 02:40 PM

I'm ruined on donuts as a result. The smell of them makes me nauseous.

tyecopeland
07-21-2020, 02:47 PM
Donuts are fake.

Social engineering, media propaganda bullshit.

CarlosCarson27
07-21-2020, 02:49 PM
Donuts are fake.

Social engineering, media propaganda bullshit.

no one said they were healthy :thumb:

TinyEvel
07-21-2020, 02:50 PM
any non-cake donut, put it in the microwave for 6 seconds. Eat immediately.

The Franchise
07-21-2020, 02:55 PM
Bearscat?

King Donuts.. they open and close too early lol.
why should i have to get a donut like i'm hunting fish? lol

but yeah, pretty sure i've seen a King donuts

Bearscat. They’re downtown. Just opened up and they have other shops in the Midwest.

ptlyon
07-21-2020, 02:59 PM

A pastry with a hole is a donut. A pastry with no hole is a Danish. You understand what I'm referring to, right?

srvy
07-21-2020, 03:00 PM
Speaking of donuts has the good old fashioned bearclaw gone instinct?

CarlosCarson27
07-21-2020, 03:06 PM
Bearscat. They’re downtown. Just opened up and they have other shops in the Midwest.

but you get what i'm referring to, right? about texture, ingredients?

Pablo
07-21-2020, 03:17 PM
Used to live right by Donut King in NKC. Always tasted great no matter what I got. Don't really care for any of the chains that I've had recently.

RealSNR
07-21-2020, 03:28 PM
Dwayne Bowe had the same problem

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/S8jwrz5Dp7Q" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Marcellus
07-21-2020, 03:28 PM
I'm ruined on donuts as a result. The smell of them makes me nauseous.

Even when you are stoned?

CarlosCarson27
07-21-2020, 03:32 PM
A pastry with a hole is a donut. A pastry with no hole is a Danish. You understand what I'm referring to, right?

and donuts were actually better in Caddyshack days

dlphg9
07-21-2020, 03:34 PM
Casey's donuts are my absolute favorite. I'd fuck a Casey's donut if I had any self control to keep me from eating it.

KCUnited
07-21-2020, 03:38 PM
Even when you are stoned?

Honestly it depends on the place and how often they change their grease. Its that sweet pastry grease smell that gets me. Kind of like when you're at a place and their hushpuppies smell sweet like someone fried multiple batches of apple hand pies prior to dropping the hushpuppies.

I can do donuts fried in clean grease but the timing is completely random.

excessive
07-21-2020, 03:44 PM
Went looking for donuts the other day, when I found myself in Hyvee. Damned if they didn't have donut case up and running. Give them 3 stars out of 5. Okay if you're craving donuts but a long way from old school Lamar's.

Whoever said, "I'll give you a dollar to a donut," knew what was coming: large donuts, one fifty; small donuts, one dollar. A dollar, for a donut. It is now the end times.

Marcellus
07-21-2020, 03:52 PM
Honestly it depends on the place and how often they change their grease. Its that sweet pastry grease smell that gets me. Kind of like when you're at a place and their hushpuppies smell sweet like someone fried multiple batches of apple hand pies prior to dropping the hushpuppies.

I can do donuts fried in clean grease but the timing is completely random.

We have a local shop called Super Donuts, its not just a clever name.

Freshest most delicious donuts I have ever had.

BigBeauford
07-21-2020, 04:04 PM
Went looking for donuts the other day, when I found myself in Hyvee. Damned if they didn't have donut case up and running. Give them 3 stars out of 5. Okay if you're craving donuts but a long way from old school Lamar's.

Whoever said, "I'll give you a dollar to a donut," knew what was coming: large donuts, one fifty; small donuts, one dollar. A dollar, for a donut. It is now the end times.

Nothing beats a glazed Lamar donut. If there is something better I would love to hear it.

Shiver Me Timbers
07-21-2020, 04:08 PM
(Ray) Lamar's back in the day (KC)was the bomb. Old gas station on Linwood he converted.
Their current franchise model does a decent job. Probably the best Doughnuts in the Denver Metro area.

frozenchief
07-21-2020, 04:17 PM
I agree, which is why I like Krispy Kreme when they're warm and fresh from the oven. Those yeast-based doughnuts just get too tough. At least, I believe they're yeast-based dough. The places that sell these type of donuts have referred to proofing them, which typically means yeast-based. Others are based on chemical reactions for rising, which is what makes them light.

You ever try VooDoo donuts? They have some cool flavors and even though they're not as light as Krispy kreme, they are not as heavy as typical grocery store yeast donuts. 2 stores in Portland and 1 in Eugene. I like the ones with Captain Crunch cereal and the maple bacon ones.

CarlosCarson27
07-21-2020, 06:15 PM
I agree, which is why I like Krispy Kreme when they're warm and fresh from the oven. Those yeast-based doughnuts just get too tough. At least, I believe they're yeast-based dough. The places that sell these type of donuts have referred to proofing them, which typically means yeast-based. Others are based on chemical reactions for rising, which is what makes them light.

You ever try VooDoo donuts? They have some cool flavors and even though they're not as light as Krispy kreme, they are not as heavy as typical grocery store yeast donuts. 2 stores in Portland and 1 in Eugene. I like the ones with Captain Crunch cereal and the maple bacon ones.

so its yeast, eh?

yeah, i heard about voodoo obviously. but figured they might have the same issue. but people talk about ridiculous lines

frozenchief
07-21-2020, 06:27 PM
so its yeast, eh?

yeah, i heard about voodoo obviously. but figured they might have the same issue. but people talk about ridiculous lines

I'm a chef, not a baker, so I won't claim that I know 100% it is yeast. But ... having heard bakers talk about proofing the dough, and knowing how yeast breads taste/feel compared to chemical leavening, I think it's yeast. But I could be wrong.

This is piquing my curiosity. This website:
http://www.madehow.com/Volume-5/Doughnut.html
claims that yeast-based doughnughts are lighter, which I find odd because that hasn't been my experience. But there is definitely a difference.

And I've found lines for Voodoo doughnuts are worse at the downtown Portland location than at their other location, which is more of a suburban area. So don't go to the downtown one, which might be particularly good advice right now.

Baby Lee
07-21-2020, 07:51 PM
old school Lamar's.

STILL the gold standard. Best damn donuts ever.

So far as 'where good donuts went' the process isn't super hard, but it is easy to mess up by cutting corners. Gotta have the right flour and fresh yeast, and fresh clean oil and good standardized procedures for proofing and such.

Mess any of that up and the end product suffers.

mlyonsd
07-21-2020, 07:59 PM
As a treat when we were kids sometimes mom would take a tube of Pillsbury biscuits and use an aspirin bottle lid to press out donut holes in them. Then she'd fire up some oil on the stove and fry the donuts and holes. When they came out and cooled a minute she'd throw them in a brown paper lunch bag that had either sugar or cinnamon sugar and shake them until covered.

Excellent.

eDave
07-21-2020, 08:02 PM
Frozenchef? Didn't know that.

BWillie
07-21-2020, 08:09 PM
I thought they were extinct at Quik Trip when Covid started but now I see their back.

RustShack
07-21-2020, 08:19 PM
Why would you make them when you can just go to Hy-Vee bakery?

Edit- I only ready the title and you aren’t trying to make them and aren’t in the Midwest.

displacedinMN
07-21-2020, 08:25 PM

No. there are still a lot of good doughnuts out there. Maybe it is some vegan doughnut. It is Oregon.

We even have made gluten free doughnuts. There are not bad. But a bakery makes them better. My kid needs them.

mlyonsd
07-21-2020, 08:29 PM
Casey's makes decent donuts. Their cake donuts are pretty good. Chocolate or maple icing with peanuts is the bomb.

BWillie
07-21-2020, 09:12 PM
I wish it was Groundhogs day and I lived the same day over and over without consequences. Id eat 29 donuts a day, Joes KC fries, 20 red bulls and a 24 oz porterhouse on the daily.

scho63
07-22-2020, 01:58 AM
Vast difference between a cake donut and fried donut.

What do you EXPECT the donut to taste and feel like when you eat it?

displacedinMN
07-22-2020, 06:56 AM

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/400x/63342320.jpg

sd4chiefs
07-22-2020, 10:39 AM
Sidecar donuts are amazing but they are a little overpriced.

$4.50 for 1 bacon donut. :doh!:

https://www.sidecardoughnuts.com/del-mar/

Shiver Me Timbers
07-22-2020, 10:42 AM
Vast difference between a cake donut and fried donut....

Cake Donuts are fried as well.

CarlosCarson27
07-22-2020, 01:37 PM
As a treat when we were kids sometimes mom would take a tube of Pillsbury biscuits and use an aspirin bottle lid to press out donut holes in them. Then she'd fire up some oil on the stove and fry the donuts and holes. When they came out and cooled a minute she'd throw them in a brown paper lunch bag that had either sugar or cinnamon sugar and shake them until covered.

Excellent.

Nice

CarlosCarson27
07-22-2020, 01:38 PM
Sidecar donuts are amazing but they are a little overpriced.

$4.50 for 1 bacon donut. :doh!:

https://www.sidecardoughnuts.com/del-mar/

Robbery

CarlosCarson27
07-22-2020, 01:39 PM

French donuts aren't cake donuts and they were still made softer than the ones I get now, here

Pepe Silvia
07-22-2020, 05:38 PM
Cake donuts and French cruellers are my fav.

CarlosCarson27
07-22-2020, 06:47 PM
Cake donuts and French cruellers are my fav.

I didnt know the crueller part. I just called them French

Chiefshrink
07-22-2020, 07:05 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1eKCe5S3tQM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bob Dole
07-22-2020, 07:08 PM
Texarkana has about 40 donut shops, most of them appear to be Asian owned. Haven’t found a bad one yet.

And fuck donuts. Kolaches FTW.

Buehler445
07-22-2020, 07:21 PM
You motherfuckers.

This thread got me a hankerin for donuts so I told the wife about it and she got all wound up and did the cheap easy fried biscuit business.

We didn’t even do that great of a job but they hit the spot and now I’m miserable. I needed that like a fucking hole in the head.

I blame you CC. :D
https://i.imgur.com/kixzk9R.jpg

mlyonsd
07-22-2020, 07:25 PM
You mother****ers.

This thread got me a hankerin for donuts so I told the wife about it and she got all wound up and did the cheap easy fried biscuit business.

We didn’t even do that great of a job but they hit the spot and now I’m miserable. I needed that like a ****ing hole in the head.

I blame you CC. :D
https://i.imgur.com/kixzk9R.jpg:LOL:

ptlyon
07-22-2020, 07:26 PM
You're welcome