PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Terez: NFL teams, you want to be the Chiefs? Good Luck.

BigRedChief
07-21-2020, 08:03 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Eventually, the &quot;Disease of Me&quot; may get the Chiefs. <br><br>But all indications are it won&#39;t be anytime soon, which is why I expect other teams hoping ask their stars to follow in the footsteps of Patrick Mahomes and Chris Jones will be left wanting. <br><br>Column: <a href="https://t.co/zTTFqoocoB">https://t.co/zTTFqoocoB</a> <a href="https://t.co/dIdl9VCUgO">pic.twitter.com/dIdl9VCUgO</a></p>&mdash; Terez A. Paylor (@TerezPaylor) <a href="https://twitter.com/TerezPaylor/status/1285686994862059520?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 21, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

smithandrew051
07-21-2020, 08:08 PM
We have the Holy Trinity of NFL Football:

Elite QB, Elite HC, Elite GM

Good. Fucking. Luck.

eDave
07-21-2020, 08:08 PM
Every single argument I've heard in opposition of this deal has roots in player anger and associated greed and resistance to change (though they tout Mahomes as a game changer). KC really upset the apple cart with many wishing Mahomes had screwed the Chiefs.

"What if Clark sells the team?" - Wut?

Like was said in one of the videos posted today, every single other team is balls deep in trying to figure out how to beat KC.

InChiefsHeaven
07-21-2020, 08:14 PM
Chiefs...everyone wishes they's as cool as us...

RustShack
07-21-2020, 08:18 PM

Good. Fucking. Luck.

End thread

wazu
07-21-2020, 08:19 PM

Good. Fucking. Luck.

And let's not forget about the best owner in football.

Kman34
07-21-2020, 08:19 PM
https://memecrunch.com/meme/BGJXJ/you-have-been-weighed-you-have-been-measured-and-you-have-absolutely-been-found-wanting/image.jpg?w=500&c=1

DRM08
07-21-2020, 08:23 PM
Curious to see how it goes in Baltimore. I think Lamar might be willing to go the discount route.

OnTheWarpath15
07-21-2020, 08:24 PM
And we’re losing a year of their prime due to COVID.

Because Chiefs?

Discuss Thrower
07-21-2020, 08:25 PM
https://memecrunch.com/meme/BGJXJ/you-have-been-weighed-you-have-been-measured-and-you-have-absolutely-been-found-wanting/image.jpg?w=500&c=1

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/B8Ztcs7zQIQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-21-2020, 08:30 PM
If the Raiders are healthy they're going to challenge. I hate to say that but their roster is loaded as us. With the one exception being QB.

staylor26
07-21-2020, 08:33 PM

Good. Fucking. Luck.

And Spags along with his staff are the icing on that fucking cake.

BigRedChief
07-21-2020, 08:37 PM

Because Chiefs?Mahomes, Hill, Kelce, Clark, Jones, Honey Badger etc. all in their prime. Most potential HOF’ers. 20/22 returning for ****sakes. :mad:

RustShack
07-21-2020, 08:38 PM
Don’t forget the best damn rookie RB, LB, and OL in the NFL.

Not to mention our TE, RT, WR, DT, DE, S... among others.

BigRedChief
07-21-2020, 08:42 PM
Curious to see how it goes in Baltimore. I think Lamar might be willing to go the discount route.
I’m still not sold on Lamar as a potential rival to Mahomes for the next 10 years. He blows a hamstring, knee, Achilles his game will be significantly diminished. Same thing happens to Mahomes, he’ll still be Mahomes.

DJ's left nut
07-21-2020, 08:46 PM
If the Raiders are healthy they're going to challenge. I hate to say that but their roster is loaded as us. With the one exception being QB.

You're shitting me with this, right?

Take Mahomes off the team. Just remove him.

The Raiders have precisely ZERO players presently as good as Hill, Kelce, Jones, Mathieu, Schwartz or even Clark.

Who's their best player? Hudson? A center. Jacobs? A runningback.

Their best players are at relatively unimportant and easily replaced positions. At BEST you can argue that Brown is equal to Fisher at a truly critical position (T).

The aren't better than the Chiefs at a single position group on the field. Not a single. one. I wouldn't even give them a clear edge at linebacker.

This has to be sarcasm.

rydogg58
07-21-2020, 08:47 PM
Reading that makes me really miss football. I'm going to be sad if there isn't a season this year.

frozenchief
07-21-2020, 08:49 PM
I’m still not sold on Lamar as a potential rival to Mahomes for the next 10 years. He blows a hamstring, knee, Achilles his game will be significantly diminished. Same thing happens to Mahomes, he’ll still be Mahomes.

Lamar is still learning how to throw. He’s ⅓ running back and ⅔ QB. Has he ever brought his team back from being down by 24? He may develop into an outstanding QB, and I admit he had a great year last year for offensive production. But he does not have the throwing ability or the game vision of Mahomes, Rogers, Brees or Wilson. At least not yet.

The Ravens are undoubtedly tough, but the Ravens to me play ‘constrictor’ football. They spend the first part of the game getting an advantage over their opponent and then they just slowly suffocate them. I don’t see that they have a consistent quick-strike ability like KC.

And BRC makes a good point: the more of an RB he is, the more he will beat up his body and the shorter will be his career. I notice that when Mahomes runs, he runs with the first down marker and the sideline in view to minimize the hits he takes. Jackson, from the admittedly limited amount I’ve seen, does not have Mahomes field vision and when he doesn’t see a good receiver, he just tucks the ball, lowers his head and plows through people. Not ideal for a QB.

DJ's left nut
07-21-2020, 08:49 PM

Gonna be a lot of pressure on him to go that route, yes. Especially since he'll be facing that first season of extension eligibility at the same time the Ravens will be looking to get something done with Judon.

A very similar situation where Jackson could take some steps to help the Ravens out. And they have a very strong organization with a good culture of their own.

Yeah, I think it's likely he does do something similar to Mahomes.

They're just a very uniquely challenging team for us as long as Jackson stays healthy. It'll be fascinating. They say styles make fights and the Ravens (like the 49ers) have a style that is particularly suited to give us some trouble.

old_geezer
07-21-2020, 08:51 PM

The Raiders have precisely ZERO players presently as good as Hill, Kelce, Jones, Mathieu, Schwartz or even Clark.

Their best players are at relatively unimportant and easily replaced positions. At BEST you can argue that Brown is equal to Fisher at a truly critical position (T).

The aren't better than the Chiefs at a single position group on the field. Not a single. one. I wouldn't even give them a clear edge at linebacker.

This has to be sarcasm.

Don't forget coach. We have Reid, they have Chuckie.

DaneMcCloud
07-21-2020, 08:53 PM

So at best, they're going to be the 2016 Chiefs (or 2016 Raiders for that matter).

They can be super talented on both sides of the ball but without a Hall of Fame QB In-Waiting, they're never going to sniff the Super Bowl.

Now, that obviously changes if somehow, the Raiders move up for Trevor Lawrence, or maybe even Justin Fields, but they'll need to give up 2 years worth of draft choices to have a shot at either.

O.city
07-21-2020, 08:53 PM
The ravens are just pretty stocked roster wise. They’re well put together just damn everywhere

Of course we’ve got John wick at Qb and Gandalf with the headset on so we should always have some legs up there but the ravens will inevitably get them a time or two

But I’m regards to Jackson, if a qb is still learning to throw once he gets to the nfl....well....

DaneMcCloud
07-21-2020, 08:58 PM

He should take every penny he can get because his game is completely different than Mahomes.

If he blows an ACL, there goes his athleticism. In that scenario, the Ravens will be far more reliant on his arm which to date, has shown to be nothing other than mediocre at best. He can't throw outside the lines and he's easily confused by defenses.

That said, he's obviously an outstanding athlete with very rare ability but as we've seen with guys like RGIII, once the athleticism is lost, it's impossible to be the same QB as pre-injury.

wazu
07-21-2020, 09:00 PM
The really interesting one that will happen before Lamar is Deshaun. I have a feeling he's going to hold their feet to the fire.

staylor26
07-21-2020, 09:02 PM
Eh, that Ravens defensive roster isn’t that great (looking forward). Not a huge fan of the roster on that side of the ball long term for them, though I’m sure they will continue to draft well. If you take Campbell and Thomas off that defense it’s not very good at all.

DaneMcCloud
07-21-2020, 09:03 PM
The really interesting one that will happen before Lamar is Deshaun. I have a feeling he's going to hold their feet to the fire.

As he should.

I wasn't a huge fan of Deshaun to the Chiefs because of the lack of velocity on his throws but goddammit if he's not a winner.

I recently re-watched Clemson's national championship victory against Alabama from 2017 and he's just so smooth and so in control that it's extremely difficult not to root for the guy. I really love watching the guy play (except of course, when it's against the Chiefs).

I don't know how BoB has a job but if he didn't have Deshaun, that's a 4-12 football team.

staylor26
07-21-2020, 09:05 PM
Also, don’t forget the Ravens have to pay Stanley too.

TribalElder
07-21-2020, 09:09 PM
Lamar will take a discount in Baltimore

Not so much so they can pay their OC ROFL

more so because he will be taking that first round L again in the playoffs

staylor26
07-21-2020, 09:12 PM

Because Chiefs?

Did the season get canceled already? Take this doom and gloom shit back to the COVID thread.

OnTheWarpath15
07-21-2020, 09:17 PM
Did the season get canceled already? Take this doom and gloom shit back to the COVID thread.

Damn, someone's pussy is sore. You get pounded last night?

staylor26
07-21-2020, 09:19 PM
Damn, someone's pussy is sore. You get pounded last night?

The irony given your post and the tone and subject of the thread.

You’re just a miserable fuck. Why else would you be talking like the season is already cancelled when we’re set up for a repeat?

tk13
07-21-2020, 09:30 PM

I was going to say this. Mahomes is the man but Deshaun feels like the guy who would most likely challenge him if the Texans weren't a dumpster fire in the front office.

There's never really been a QB like Jackson win, but there's a first time for everything. Honestly beyond that the scariest QB might be Joe Burrow if he delivers. He seems to have the it factor.

wazu
07-21-2020, 09:33 PM
I was going to say this. Mahomes is the man but Deshaun feels like the guy who would most likely challenge him if the Texans weren't a dumpster fire in the front office.

There's never really been a QB like Jackson win, but there's a first time for everything. Honestly beyond that the scariest QB might be Joe Burrow if he delivers. He seems to have the it factor.

Really like Burrow. But alas, he's a Bungle.

BigRedChief
07-21-2020, 09:35 PM
As he should.

I wasn't a huge fan of Deshaun to the Chiefs because of the lack of velocity on his throws but goddammit if he's not a winner.

I recently re-watched Clemson's national championship victory against Alabama from 2017 and he's just so smooth and so in control that it's extremely difficult not to root for the guy. I really love watching the guy play (except of course, when it's against the Chiefs).

I don't know how BoB has a job but if he didn't have Deshaun, that's a 4-12 football team.if the Bears had taken Mahomes, we’d been happy with Watson. We didn’t have the draft capital to move to #2. We’d still have a young franchise QB. Watson would already be a helluva lot better if he didn’t play under that dumbass of a coach.

We should be forever grateful that the Bears are inept and committed an all time blunder.

DRM08
07-21-2020, 09:39 PM
Gonna be a lot of pressure on him to go that route, yes. Especially since he'll be facing that first season of extension eligibility at the same time the Ravens will be looking to get something done with Judon.

A very similar situation where Jackson could take some steps to help the Ravens out. And they have a very strong organization with a good culture of their own.

They're just a very uniquely challenging team for us as long as Jackson stays healthy. It'll be fascinating. They say styles make fights and the Ravens (like the 49ers) have a style that is particularly suited to give us some trouble.

2-way street though. Baltimore steamrolled 90% of the teams they played last year. KC jumped on them early and they didn’t have the passing game to play catch-up. KC is always looking for an excuse to fully unleash Mahomes. That Houston 24-0 game played right into what KC actually wants to do. Throw it every down with the best QB in the world. Haha

Willie Lanier
07-21-2020, 09:46 PM

Well I think that depends on your definition of discount.

People that know more than me in the NFL seem to think the cap will skyrocket two years from now, so I could see him topping Mahomes' average annual salary solely based on history.

He might take what is considered a discount contract, but I'm really hoping it's considered in that way because of years.

No one should ever take the length of what Mahomes agreed to, and on that point I'd throw down money Lamar Jackson won't agree to a contract longer than 5 years.

BlackOp
07-21-2020, 09:53 PM

Lamar isn't going to make nearly as much off endorsements as Mahomes ...that aspect really allowed PMII to be flexible. He will ultimately make more from his off-field stuff than actually playing....Jordan is a billionaire.

Mahomes stays on his current trajectory...he'll have his own "Air Jordan" dynasty.

Lamar should take his money when it becomes available....running QBs have short shelf lives.

DJ's left nut
07-21-2020, 09:57 PM
Lamar isn't going to make nearly as much off endorsements as Mahomes ...that aspect really allowed PMII to be flexible. He will ultimately make more from his off-field stuff than actually playing....Jordan is a billionaire.

Mahomes stays on his current trajectory...he'll have his own "Air Jordan" dynasty.

Lamar's gonna be INCREDIBLY marketable, especially with another season like last season.

He doesn't have that goofy charm and kermit voice that makes Mahomes a little unique, but you can bet your ass that any company that's in direct competition with a product that Mahomes is endorsing is gonna give Jackson's reps a call.

He's not gonna hurt for endorsements in due time, provided he stays healthy. And if he doesn't - well it's all irrelevant anyway.

BlackOp
07-21-2020, 10:06 PM
Lamar's gonna be INCREDIBLY marketable, especially with another season like last season.

He doesn't have that goofy charm and kermit voice that makes Mahomes a little unique, but you can bet your ass that any company that's in direct competition with a product that Mahomes is endorsing is gonna give Jackson's reps a call.

He's not gonna hurt for endorsements in due time, provided he stays healthy. And if he doesn't - well it's all irrelevant anyway.

Mahomes is half black/half white...he's handsome....he's corporate America's wet dream. You probably couldn't have created a more perfect, marketable spokesman in a laboratory.

Jackson will get endorsements if he stays relevant...but nothing compared to Mahomes.

DJ's left nut
07-21-2020, 10:16 PM
Mahomes is half black/half white...he's handsome....he's corporate America's wet dream. You probably couldn't have created a more perfect, marketable spokesman in a laboratory.

Jackson will get endorsements if he stays relevant...but nothing compared to Mahomes.

And Mahomes is an Adidas guy.

So Nike will gladly throw a bucket of money Jackson's way the moment he establishes sustainability.

Yes, Mahomes is going to be the gold standard. But when he's snapped up, there's still going to be a massive market for Jackson as well and there's only one Mahomes. So Nike will have to pay in a similar arena to get Jackson. And beyond that, Mahomes only has a couple of major national deals (State Farm and Head and Shoulders...weirdly).

Jackson won't pass him in all probability, but he won't be far behind him IF he continues to play at an MVP level. He's a charismatic cat - he's gonna get his bag.

pugsnotdrugs19
07-21-2020, 10:18 PM

I’d argue that both Denver and LAC have better rosters.

BlackOp
07-21-2020, 10:37 PM
And Mahomes is an Adidas guy.

So Nike will gladly throw a bucket of money Jackson's way the moment he establishes sustainability.

Yes, Mahomes is going to be the gold standard. But when he's snapped up, there's still going to be a massive market for Jackson as well and there's only one Mahomes. So Nike will have to pay in a similar arena to get Jackson. And beyond that, Mahomes only has a couple of major national deals (State Farm and Head and Shoulders...weirdly).

Jackson won't pass him in all probability, but he won't be far behind him IF he continues to play at an MVP level. He's a charismatic cat - he's gonna get his bag.
Oakley...Hunt Ketchup.

Why Not?
07-21-2020, 10:39 PM
As he should.

I don't know how BoB has a job but if he didn't have Deshaun, that's a 4-12 football team.

Absolutely. His organization has done fuck all to help him. Total opposite scenario of our situation.

BigRedChief
07-21-2020, 11:08 PM
Oakley...Hunt Ketchup.
Didn’t he just get onboard with Coors Light too?

eDave
07-21-2020, 11:37 PM
Lamar will take a discount in Baltimore

Not so much so they can pay their OC ROFL

more so because he will be taking that first round L again in the playoffs

Lamar is a guy who needs all the money now with no concerns towards the rest of the team.

He doesn't have 12 more years.

dlphg9
07-22-2020, 12:04 AM
I'd bet a significant amount of money that Watson doesn't sign an extension with the Texans if Bob is there. He will get one hell of a contract on the open market. That being said BoB isn't that incompetent as a head coach, but as a GM he is completely out of his element. I think Watson has really down year next year.

comochiefsfan
07-22-2020, 12:05 AM

Good. Fucking. Luck.

And an owner who doesn't meddle in the day to day operations of the team and lets the people he hired to do those jobs actually do them.

That's a really important one.

Halfcan
07-22-2020, 12:48 AM
Teams will have to play the CHAMPS- without much of an offseason, practices and no preseason games.

We are basically bringing the same team back and have even upgraded it in most every spot we could.

There are maybe 4 or 5 teams that can beat the Chiefs this year- but they will have to play a near perfect game and we will have to be having an off day.

I don't think the Chiefs are going to be having any off days.

MeaTy The Pimp
07-22-2020, 05:30 AM
I think the Chiefs are going to still surprise everyone. We have talked about how we have Mahomes and Jones locked up, we have talked about having the best GM and an awesome Coaching staff, but we haven't talked much about our defense. I am excited to see our defense start the year as a pretty damned good unit rather than a bunch of JAGs looking for their identities.

If our defense would have gelled sooner last year, I would wager that we wouldn't have needed to rely on Miami to win so we would have gotten the 2 seed last year as our defense would have kept us in a couple of our losses.

digger
07-22-2020, 05:52 AM
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/64/e3/27/64e327c8bee166b06ebe402c34c59f5b--guy-stuff-behavior.jpg

duncan_idaho
07-22-2020, 06:48 AM
Eh, that Ravens defensive roster isn’t that great (looking forward). Not a huge fan of the roster on that side of the ball long term for them, though I’m sure they will continue to draft well. If you take Campbell and Thomas off that defense it’s not very good at all.

Yeah, the Ravens have a strong secondary but the rest of the defense isn’t special to me.

Judson is a nice player but is not a “break game plans” pass rusher. Neither is Pernell McPhee.

Calais Campbell’s play declined last year. Maybe being back on a contender will motivate him a bit more, but he’s also going to be 34 when the season starts. Derek Wolfe? (Laughs)

That looks to me like a team that will still struggle to rush the passer, and that is projected to start two rookies at LB.

O.city
07-22-2020, 07:07 AM

It’s not got the star power some do but it’s well coached and really good. Humphrey is a star and they always develop well.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
07-22-2020, 07:13 AM
But, can they hold that team together?

Word around Baltimore is Lamar is waiting to see what Prescott and Watson get and then break The bank. They don’t expect any Mahomesian deals according to several agents on Baltimore radio shows.

duncan_idaho
07-22-2020, 09:52 AM
And man, messing around with future cap... even when the bigger hits start coming from Mahomes, the Chiefs have a ton of projected cap room and flex.

If they can make it through 2021 without getting murdered by a dip in the salary cap, they're set up to do really well moving forward. So much flexibility starting in 2022.

crispystl
07-22-2020, 10:04 AM

This has to be sarcasm.

Yeah I was a little surprised by that post too. Like wut?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crispystl
07-22-2020, 10:07 AM
Lamar is still learning how to throw. He’s ⅓ running back and ⅔ QB. Has he ever brought his team back from being down by 24? He may develop into an outstanding QB, and I admit he had a great year last year for offensive production. But he does not have the throwing ability or the game vision of Mahomes, Rogers, Brees or Wilson. At least not yet.

The Ravens are undoubtedly tough, but the Ravens to me play ‘constrictor’ football. They spend the first part of the game getting an advantage over their opponent and then they just slowly suffocate them. I don’t see that they have a consistent quick-strike ability like KC.

And BRC makes a good point: the more of an RB he is, the more he will beat up his body and the shorter will be his career. I notice that when Mahomes runs, he runs with the first down marker and the sideline in view to minimize the hits he takes. Jackson, from the admittedly limited amount I’ve seen, does not have Mahomes field vision and when he doesn’t see a good receiver, he just tucks the ball, lowers his head and plows through people. Not ideal for a QB.

He doesn’t necessarily “plow through people” he’s good at making himself small and turning huge would be shot into glancing blows.
Make no mistake though, it’s the NFL ....those guys are insanely large and fast....at some point he will miscalculate.

Chris Meck
07-22-2020, 10:10 AM
my prediction:

We'll have an abbreviated season, and the Chiefs will go undefeated and win the SB. Everyone will say it doesn't count because the season was shortened, etc. So then the boys will just have to go 19-0 in 2021 to shut people up. :)

O.city
07-22-2020, 10:13 AM
And man, messing around with future cap... even when the bigger hits start coming from Mahomes, the Chiefs have a ton of projected cap room and flex.

If they can make it through 2021 without getting murdered by a dip in the salary cap, they're set up to do really well moving forward. So much flexibility starting in 2022.

While true, in the NFL projecting out that far is just tough. Basically every deal other than the QB, is a 2 year and "we'll see" kinda thing.

It wouldn't hurt if the Chiefs could swing some guys they may not be able to keep for a high end pick or something.

For instance, if say Hardman really came on strong and someone were to offer you a first for him in a year or two, well, youd have to consider it.

DJ's left nut
07-22-2020, 10:13 AM
He doesn’t necessarily “plow through people” he’s good at making himself small and turning huge would be shot into glancing blows.
Make no mistake though, it’s the NFL ....those guys are insanely large and fast....at some point he will miscalculate.

I'll say it again - it won't be a hit that gets Jackson.

It'll be a cut.

At some point he'll look to plant that foot and make a hard turn and his knee just won't cooperate. Be it a full blown tear or just a serious sprain, he's gonna have a non-contact injury (or relatively benign contact) that eventually takes the piss out of him.

O.city
07-22-2020, 10:15 AM

It'll be a cut.

At some point he'll look to plant that foot and make a hard turn and his knee just won't cooperate. Be it a full blown tear or just a serious sprain, he's gonna have a non-contact injury (or relatively benign contact) that eventually takes the piss out of him.

Maybe

But he won't always be able to avoid hits. It's the NFL. They're just too fast. Someone will catch him at some point.

DJ's left nut
07-22-2020, 10:19 AM
Maybe

But he won't always be able to avoid hits. It's the NFL. They're just too fast. Someone will catch him at some point.

Sure. And it'll knock the wind out of him or ring his bell and maybe cost him a game or 2.

But serious long-term injuries are rarely a result of a direct blow. They're flukes. They're arms getting hit on a delivery to tear a rotator cuff or knees giving up. The instances of a direct shot on a knee blowing it up are pretty rare.

If we're talking the kind of thing that will eventually take the top off Jackson long-term, it's more likely to be of the non-contact or 'unlucky break' variety, IMO.

Mecca
07-22-2020, 10:22 AM
Sure. And it'll knock the wind out of him or ring his bell and maybe cost him a game or 2.

But serious long-term injuries are rarely a result of a direct blow. They're flukes. They're arms getting hit on a delivery to tear a rotator cuff or knees giving up. The instances of a direct shot on a knee blowing it up are pretty rare.

If we're talking the kind of thing that will eventually take the top off Jackson long-term, it's more likely to be of the non-contact or 'unlucky break' variety, IMO.

About the only guy who suffered a major injury the first time from contact playing that way I can think of is Vick with his broken leg.

O.city
07-22-2020, 10:23 AM

I'm more inclined to think the effects of continuous hits will just accumulate. He may have a flukey injury for sure, but man, i just don't want my QB getting hit any more than he has to.

I've always felt thats what makes Russell Wilson so good as a runner. He rarely gets hit.

DJ's left nut
07-22-2020, 10:33 AM
I'm more inclined to think the effects of continuous hits will just accumulate. He may have a flukey injury for sure, but man, i just don't want my QB getting hit any more than he has to.

I've always felt thats what makes Russell Wilson so good as a runner. He rarely gets hit.

But again, Jackson rarely gets hit with any real force. He's just remarkable at that sort of thing.

So I largely discount the 'cumulative effect' thing because he's not taking a true pounding out there. He's certainly getting blasted a lot less than someone like Kelce or even most DL/OL who face hard contact on every play. LBers are usually in some kind of impact.

I just don't see there being a lot in the way of cumulative 'wear' on him. So what I would worry about is the catastrophic injury.

BigRedChief
07-22-2020, 10:13 PM
my prediction:

We'll have an abbreviated season, and the Chiefs will go undefeated and win the SB. Everyone will say it doesn't count because the season was shortened, etc. So then the boys will just have to go 19-0 in 2021 to shut people up. :)as far as seasons go, in this situation, may be the best we can do.

Titty Meat
07-22-2020, 10:42 PM

Id knock you the fuck out

Simply Red
07-23-2020, 01:36 AM

Good. ****ing. Luck.

Yes Papi YES!!!

Simply Red
07-23-2020, 01:37 AM
Id knock you the **** out

& there's Billay folks!!

ChiefsFanatic
07-23-2020, 03:30 AM
But I’m regards to Jackson, if a qb is still learning to throw once he gets to the nfl....well....

I know Mahomes is better, but the QB who is supposedly still learning how to throw just led the NFL in TD passes and QBR. That isn't something that a running back just accidentally accomplishes.

Everyone trashing Lamar Jackson should see that stat, and realize that maybe he isn't just the running back they claim he is. But, it seems like some people have to stick to their hot take about how bad he is at playing QB.

I feel like we shouldn't be concerned with any other QB in the league, because we know we have the best, but old habits die hard, and trashing other QBs to make ourselves feel better as a fan base is one of those habits. Praising other QBs does not equal disrespecting Mahomes.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

BlackOp
07-23-2020, 03:47 AM
I know Mahomes is better, but the QB who is supposedly still learning how to throw just led the NFL in TD passes and QBR. That isn't something that a running back just accidentally accomplishes.

Everyone trashing Lamar Jackson should see that stat, and realize that maybe he isn't just the running back they claim he is. But, it seems like some people have to stick to their hot take about how bad he is at playing QB.

I feel like we shouldn't be concerned with any other QB in the league, because we know we have the best, but old habits die hard, and trashing other QBs to make ourselves feel better as a fan base is one of those habits. Praising other QBs does not equal disrespecting Mahomes.

They had a 14-2 team...and still felt like they had to take unorthodox measures to beat KC. They are 0-2 so far...Jackson is an amazing athlete surrounded by competent coaching and a stellar FO.

They arent designed to comeback from a 2 score deficit...Harbaugh knew this and its why he took those risks, early, in last seasons match up.

You have to credit him with recognizing this...that's the sign of a coach who knows his teams strengths and weaknesses.

The way these two teams are constructed....Chiefs, stylistically, are the Ravens kryptonite...

ChiefsFanatic
07-23-2020, 03:55 AM
They had a 14-2 team...and still felt like they had to take unorthodox measures to beat KC. They are 0-2 so far...Jackson is an amazing athlete surrounded by competent coaching and a stellar FO.

They arent designed to comeback from a 2 score deficit...Harbaugh knew this and its why he took those risks early in last seasons match up.

You have to credit him with knowing this...I think the Ravens definitely deserve credit for building an offense, and a team, around the skills of their franchise QB.

But, Harbaugh deserves more of the blame for the two playoff losses than he has gotten. Not only is their offense not built to come from behind, but Harbaugh did nothing to calm the frustration of his team's on the field leader.

In the Titans game, Jackson was acting out, slamming helmets, and looking very frustrated. Its only his second season in the league, and his second playoff start, and Harbaugh treated him like he was a veteran and just left him alone on the sideline.

And yes, Mahomes is 2-0 against Lamar, but I think that's more about Mahomes just being a God, than it is about Lamar playing poorly.

BlackOp
07-23-2020, 04:07 AM
And yes, Mahomes is 2-0 against Lamar, but I think that's more about Mahomes just being a God, than it is about Lamar playing poorly.

Ravens were never really in the game last season... the first match-up was pre-Spagnuolo...and KC's defense was bottom 10.

They are the Chiefs main AFC adversary going forward...but will have to have things fall perfectly to beat them. It's a bad match-up....Mahomes can get on you in a hurry.

smithandrew051
07-23-2020, 07:24 AM
Ravens were never really in the game last season... the first match-up was pre-Spagnuolo...and KC's defense was bottom 10.

They are the Chiefs main AFC adversary going forward...but will have to have things fall perfectly to beat them. It's a bad match-up....Mahomes can get on you in a hurry.

A Mahomes Chiefs offense is the closest thing the NFL has ever seen to the Durant Warriors teams. When those teams would get hot from 3, they could turn a 6 point deficit into a 12 point lead in the blink of an eye.

Same with Mahomes. Just look at the second quarter against Oakland, the second quarter of the Texans playoff game, the last 7 minutes of the Super Bowl. Three major runs in just one year. I’m probably leaving off one or two also.

O.city
07-23-2020, 09:05 AM

Some of that is that he did improve throwing the ball for sure. But also, some of it is very Cassel 2010 statistically. They had Jamal running wild and Cassel would throw a 2 or 3 yard TD pass once they got in the redzone.

Thus far, Lamar isn't a guy that can stand in the pocket and consistently throw the ball to different areas on the field and beat you. I don't' necessarily think thats something you can develop into once at this level because of muscle memory in throwing mechanics. Around the margins, sure. But he's probably never gonna be that guy that can do it, for sure in the playoffs against good defenses.

Now with the other parts of his game and how great he is, he's just a damn nightmare to defend with that offense. But if you can get ahead of them and force him to throw to win, that puts them in a situation they don't want to be in.

For me, I don't really want that to be my type of QB in the NFL. Win with your arm first, then go from there.

duncan_idaho
07-23-2020, 09:26 AM

Lamar Jackson is a dynamic playmaker.

It is interesting to see the national narrative, though. There seems to be an assumption by many that he is going to progress as a passer. But this is a guy who threw the ball 30 times a game in college in a sophisticated passing system run by Bobby Petrino.

It's highly possible (and maybe even PROBABLY) that this is who he is as a passer.

He does not have the natural arm strength to drive the ball outside the hashes against tight coverage.

I haven't heard or seen much about how teams and defenses will adjust to Jackson with more tape on him, like we did with Mahomes after his year. This strikes me as ... odd... given that Jackson is a less versatile weapon.

I think we'll see most teams squat on inside routes and force things outside (forcing him to throw accurate 9 routes or work outside the hashes in the short and intermediate zones).

Can he adjust to that? We shall see.

smithandrew051
07-23-2020, 09:39 AM
Just watch how easily Mahomes shredded the Titans twice last year and how horribly Jackson struggled against them off a bye at home.

DJ's left nut
07-23-2020, 09:49 AM
Lamar Jackson is a dynamic playmaker.

It is interesting to see the national narrative, though. There seems to be an assumption by many that he is going to progress as a passer. But this is a guy who threw the ball 30 times a game in college in a sophisticated passing system run by Bobby Petrino.

It's highly possible (and maybe even PROBABLY) that this is who he is as a passer.

He does not have the natural arm strength to drive the ball outside the hashes against tight coverage.

I haven't heard or seen much about how teams and defenses will adjust to Jackson with more tape on him, like we did with Mahomes after his year. This strikes me as ... odd... given that Jackson is a less versatile weapon.

I think we'll see most teams squat on inside routes and force things outside (forcing him to throw accurate 9 routes or work outside the hashes in the short and intermediate zones).

Can he adjust to that? We shall see.

The problem with trying to squat on inside routes is that it leaves you open for those outside runs they like to use and also doesn't keep guys out there in the event Jackson decides to tuck and run.

I don't think anybody in the NFL was surprised by what Jackson was doing by the halfway point of the season. "They're gonna run it a lot and throw the ball over the middle...."

Okay - that much was obvious. The problem was that there's just a practical problem in dealing with it. You probably want to avoid just stacking DBs back there because Ingrahm, Edwards and now Dobbins all have the power to punish some of those guys. And you definitely don't want to stack heavy because Jackson can just run around 'em and so you need to sell out on the outside to protect, thus leaving the middle open for those easy pitches and catches.

You can't just go into a zone because that's ultimately what Jackson WANTS and you can't go into strict man because it turns the defenders backs to the play and now Jackson will tuck and run.

It is a difficult combination to deal with. A stable of powerful RBs to go with a QB who will break it outside and is capable of hitting your basic intermediate passes with fair regularity.

I'm not sure if there's any kind of hybrid Cover 0 system out there that utilizes man concepts wide but keeps the safeties fairly tight underneath. Would that maybe be a Cover 1 under? I dunno exactly how to describe what I'm thinking there.

Mostly using your CBs and LBs in man coverage and your safeties almost as robbers underneath.

I don't think there's as easy an answer as it would seem at first blush.

O.city
07-23-2020, 09:52 AM
The problem with trying to squat on inside routes is that it leaves you open for those outside runs they like to use and also doesn't keep guys out there in the event Jackson decides to tuck and run.

I don't think anybody in the NFL was surprised by what Jackson was doing by the halfway point of the season. "They're gonna run it a lot and throw the ball over the middle...."

Okay - that much was obvious. The problem was that there's just a practical problem in dealing with it. You probably want to avoid just stacking DBs back there because Ingrahm, Edwards and now Dobbins all have the power to punish some of those guys. And you definitely don't want to stack heavy because Jackson can just run around 'em and so you need to sell out on the outside to protect, thus leaving the middle open for those easy pitches and catches.

You can't just go into a zone because that's ultimately what Jackson WANTS and you can't go into strict man because it turns the defenders backs to the play and now Jackson will tuck and run.

It is a difficult combination to deal with. A stable of powerful RBs to go with a QB who will break it outside and is capable of hitting your basic intermediate passes with fair regularity.

I'm not sure if there's any kind of hybrid Cover 0 system out there that utilizes man concepts wide but keeps the safeties fairly tight underneath. Would that maybe be a Cover 1 under? I dunno exactly how to describe what I'm thinking there.

Mostly using your CBs and LBs in man coverage and your safeties almost as robbers underneath.

I don't think there's as easy an answer as it would seem at first blush.

The answer seems to me to be, get a lead early on them, let them run it all they want. Or just have a badass DL like the 9ers that can just fuck shit up and cause problems.

Other than that, it's tough. Especially as they keep amassing weapons in Baltimore.

DJ's left nut
07-23-2020, 09:56 AM
The answer seems to me to be, get a lead early on them, let them run it all they want. Or just have a badass DL like the 9ers that can just fuck shit up and cause problems.

Other than that, it's tough. Especially as they keep amassing weapons in Baltimore.

I still like Jones as a DE - even more in this scenario.

Put Pennell/Nnadi in the middle to simply not be moveable and then Jones/Clark on the edges to provide the power and first step needed to keep Jackson from getting to the edges clean (he'll probably still get there, but with less of a head of steam).

Interior rush against a guy like Jackson is less important, IMO, because he'll just turn and run away from it. But contain is critical so if you can get a guy like Jones out there interfering with his ability to go laterally, that makes it harder for him to extend and find those plays over the middle.

duncan_idaho
07-23-2020, 11:07 AM
I still like Jones as a DE - even more in this scenario.

Put Pennell/Nnadi in the middle to simply not be moveable and then Jones/Clark on the edges to provide the power and first step needed to keep Jackson from getting to the edges clean (he'll probably still get there, but with less of a head of steam).

Interior rush against a guy like Jackson is less important, IMO, because he'll just turn and run away from it. But contain is critical so if you can get a guy like Jones out there interfering with his ability to go laterally, that makes it harder for him to extend and find those plays over the middle.

Both of your posts on this are dead on. I think you take a multilevel approach.

1) Rush 4 in a "contained" rush approach. Goal is to maintain the pocket and just push it backwards into the QBs lap but maintain your gaps. You get a shallow U shape that slows the ability to "break out" outside. Treat it like the battle of Cannae, almost (with your DL playing the part of the Carthaginians).

2) Outside corners pinch/shade towards inside routes but are playing zone coverage

3) Cover 1/Cover 0. 1 safety has coverage/QB spy responsibilities. Pair this with your fastest/best coverage LB mirroring the box safety.

4) Mix man and zone. Play some "match" coverages.

It's not going to shut down Jackson. He's still going to make crazy plays. But I think it does set you up to frustrate him and minimize what the Ravens are trying to do. And if you get a few stops and can get in front on the Ravens, this D only becomes more effective.

BigRedChief
07-23-2020, 11:30 AM

1) Rush 4 in a "contained" rush approach. Goal is to maintain the pocket and just push it backwards into the QBs lap but maintain your gaps. You get a shallow U shape that slows the ability to "break out" outside. Treat it like the battle of Cannae, almost (with your DL playing the part of the Carthaginians).

2) Outside corners pinch/shade towards inside routes but are playing zone coverage

3) Cover 1/Cover 0. 1 safety has coverage/QB spy responsibilities. Pair this with your fastest/best coverage LB mirroring the box safety.

It's not going to shut down Jackson. He's still going to make crazy plays. But I think it does set you up to frustrate him and minimize what the Ravens are trying to do. And if you get a few stops and can get in front on the Ravens, this D only becomes more effective.Sounds solid.:thumb:

DJ's left nut
07-23-2020, 11:43 AM

It's not going to shut down Jackson. He's still going to make crazy plays. But I think it does set you up to frustrate him and minimize what the Ravens are trying to do. And if you get a few stops and can get in front on the Ravens, this D only becomes more effective.

And the coverage doesn't even have to be perfect.

You don't need to defeat Jackson the same way you need to defeat Mahomes. To beat Mahomes you can never miss an assignment and never leave a window.

To defeat Jackson you just can't leave him easy looks. You can't leave guys "High School Open". If you're making Jackson throw into ordinary NFL windows with regularity, he's not going to be successful. Even over the middle, if he's needing to make those throws that Mahomes so often makes to Kelce as a guy is crashing in and raking Kelce's arms, Jackson won't make 'em. Ball won't be precise enough or quick enough.

So your margin for error in coverage is significantly greater. You don't have to play perfect coverage - just don't play BAD coverage.

That entire offense is designed around creating a single spot where a player ends up "high school open". Jackson isn't making multiple reads in the passing game and hitting his third read just as he breaks open for a millisecond. Jackson's hitting the guy the play was designed to scheme open because the threat of his legs allows for it.

So play sound, maybe pause for just a half a heartbeat longer than you ordinarily would and make sure you're committed to the thing you're about to do. It's the indecision that creates the breakdowns. The key to effective defense is so often being aggressive and taking the play to the opponent. Honestly - against Jackson - the key may be patience and allowing the play to develop just a little bit more before selling out hard against it.

Toad
07-23-2020, 01:53 PM
Impressive posts young man.

BigRedChief
07-23-2020, 03:20 PM
Impressive posts young man.No shit.

DJ and Duncan bring the breakdowns better than or as good as anyone on the board. :thumb:

DJ's left nut
07-23-2020, 03:29 PM
No shit.

DJ and Duncan bring the breakdowns better than or as good as anyone on the board. :thumb:

Eh - I'm pulling that straight from the ol' rectum.

I most assuredly don't claim to have the answer as to Lamar Jackson. That's a different breed of cat.

That's just raw spitballin' - if it were simple someone would've done it by now.

Color Red
07-23-2020, 03:31 PM
Every single argument I've heard in opposition of this deal has roots in player anger and associated greed and resistance to change (though they tout Mahomes as a game changer). KC really upset the apple cart with many wishing Mahomes had screwed the Chiefs.

"What if Clark sells the team?" - Wut?

Like was said in one of the videos posted today, every single other team is balls deep in trying to figure out how to beat KC.

It feels so funny sitting on top of the pile. I don't take it for granted, and I know it can crash. It's actually kind of an illusion. But boy, I spent so many years trying to be positive about my team and looking up at many of the rest. I've got a crick in my neck. I'll have to work this out.

Pitt Gorilla
07-23-2020, 05:17 PM

It'll be a cut.

Unfortunately, I think you're right. I love Jackson, but a knee injury would be horrible for him (and it's likely coming).

Pitt Gorilla
07-23-2020, 05:20 PM

Sent from my GM1915 using TapatalkI think I've articulated some version of this exact post several times. We have the best and shouldn't feel the need to belittle someone like Jackson, who is terrific. I'd like to think we're above perpetually referring to him as a RB, but we're clearly not. ****ing Little Man Syndrome.

Pitt Gorilla
07-23-2020, 05:27 PM
And the coverage doesn't even have to be perfect.

You don't need to defeat Jackson the same way you need to defeat Mahomes. To beat Mahomes you can never miss an assignment and never leave a window.

To defeat Jackson you just can't leave him easy looks. You can't leave guys "High School Open". If you're making Jackson throw into ordinary NFL windows with regularity, he's not going to be successful. Even over the middle, if he's needing to make those throws that Mahomes so often makes to Kelce as a guy is crashing in and raking Kelce's arms, Jackson won't make 'em. Ball won't be precise enough or quick enough.

So your margin for error in coverage is significantly greater. You don't have to play perfect coverage - just don't play BAD coverage.

That entire offense is designed around creating a single spot where a player ends up "high school open". Jackson isn't making multiple reads in the passing game and hitting his third read just as he breaks open for a millisecond. Jackson's hitting the guy the play was designed to scheme open because the threat of his legs allows for it.

So play sound, maybe pause for just a half a heartbeat longer than you ordinarily would and make sure you're committed to the thing you're about to do. It's the indecision that creates the breakdowns. The key to effective defense is so often being aggressive and taking the play to the opponent. Honestly - against Jackson - the key may be patience and allowing the play to develop just a little bit more before selling out hard against it.I like this post a lot.

With Jackson, one can be in perfect position to take away his run and be left looking stupid because he's simply that good/quick/fast. And he'll do that several times per game. Taking away the pass is a much more doable task, but you have to do it in the reality that he can tuck and run at any time (or hand it to one of his stable of talented RBs).

With Mahomes, one can be in perfect position to take away the pass and he'll simply throw the guy open. He does this with Kelce several times per game. It's not fair in the way that Jackson's escapability isn't fair.

Pitt Gorilla
07-23-2020, 05:32 PM

I don't think there's as easy an answer as it would seem at first blush.I think you're on to something here, but you also can’t have Dirty Dan playing "safety" in this defense. Thank God for Juan Thornhill and Spags' willingness to move guys around.

ModSocks
07-23-2020, 07:08 PM
Reid would trade Jackson and draft Mahomes.

Chiefshrink
07-23-2020, 09:21 PM

He needs to win big first though otherwise he will join Prescott on the "Can't win the big games" train.

Chiefshrink
07-23-2020, 09:34 PM
still learning how to throw just led the NFL in TD passes and QBR. That isn't something that a running back just accidentally accomplishes. Everyone trashing Lamar Jackson should see that stat, and realize that maybe he isn't just the running back they claim he is. But, it seems like some people have to stick to their hot take about how bad he is at playing QB.

Go back and look at the majority of those TD passes. Damn guarantee he wasn't threading the needle in a tight window throwing WRs open and I assure there were no timing routes based on meticulous footwork throwing the ball before the break of the WR. The majority of those TD passes were backyard QBing with very little analysis of the defense to be done. He gets away with that because of his legs and the talent around him BUT now d-coordinators have seen enough now that he MUST be a better student of the game or he will eventually get seriously injured running all the time. He will be exposed in due time if not already to some degree.

Pitt Gorilla
07-23-2020, 09:56 PM
Go back and look at the majority of those TD passes. Damn guarantee he wasn't threading the needle in a tight window throwing WRs open and I assure there were no timing routes based on meticulous footwork throwing the ball before the break of the WR. The majority of those TD passes were backyard QBing with very little analysis of the defense to be done. He gets away with that because of his legs and the talent around him BUT now d-coordinators have seen enough now that he MUST be a better student of the game or he will eventually get seriously injured running all the time. He will be exposed in due time if not already to some degree.Go back and look at them? Have you watched all 36 passing TDs? You're claiming that NONE of them were "timing routes based on meticulous footwork throwing the ball before the break of the WR?" The MAJORITY were "backyard QBing?" Where are you getting this?

Granted, he threw to wide open guys for some of those TDs. Some were very short throws and a LOT were over the middle. He's surrounded by very good talent. But, I don't get where you came up with your statements at all. Below are all of his TDs from 2019. Hopefully, you can help clarify your statements with the actual data.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ensTof8qiWs" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Halfcan
07-23-2020, 10:59 PM
^ Was even 1 of Jacksons touchdowns not to a wide open reciever?

Ravens played a lot of very poor passing defenses as well.

Pitt Gorilla
07-23-2020, 11:21 PM
^ Was even 1 of Jacksons touchdowns not to a wide open reciever?

Ravens played a lot of very poor passing defenses as well.
A lot were VERY open and credit should go to the talent and coaches.

DRM08
07-24-2020, 06:21 AM
A lot were VERY open and credit should go to the talent and coaches.

I think Greg Roman deserves a lot more credit than people give him. He made Kaepernick look all-world. Lamar is more talented than Kap (better runner, more accurate passer). But the common denominator is Greg Roman being a great playcaller for both Kap and Lamar.

duncan_idaho
07-24-2020, 08:19 AM
I think Greg Roman deserves a lot more credit than people give him. He made Kaepernick look all-world. Lamar is more talented than Kap (better runner, more accurate passer). But the common denominator is Greg Roman being a great playcaller for both Kap and Lamar.

Roman seems like a lock to get a HC job next time around, to me. He's really brilliant offensively.

Whatever team ends up drafting Justin Fields should really be looking at Roman as its next head coach...

DRM08
07-24-2020, 10:45 AM
Roman seems like a lock to get a HC job next time around, to me. He's really brilliant offensively.

Whatever team ends up drafting Justin Fields should really be looking at Roman as its next head coach...

That sounds like a very good idea.