PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Renaming the Chiefs: Round 2, Heat 2

Rain Man
07-24-2020, 09:53 AM
From here on out, it's head to head matchups. Two names enter, one name leaves. I've got the top 32 candidates from Round 1 seeded based on their initial scoring.

I'll present them in sets of four heats. Vote for ONE name from EACH pair.

Rain Man
07-24-2020, 10:05 AM
My votes in a heat that's filled with political controversy.

Hammerheads over Monarchs. Monarchs is a great name and a nod toward history that's generically very inclusive (monarchs can be any race or gender and can also be Rhopalaceric). But we know that it's also honoring local human beings, and it's an unnecessary risk to honor any human history these days. No humans allowed, so I'll go with Hammerheads.

Fire Chiefs over Outlaws. We're not bad guys, so even though Fire Chiefs are unionized I'll go with them. No choice but to pick a human here.

River Kings over Pioneers. I love the name River Kings, even though it's gender-biased and should accordingly be banned. Pioneers would also be a great name, but I don't think we're allowed to honor those land-grabbing farm-conquerors any more. These simultaneous problems allows me to pick the name that I think is coolest.

Wasps over Destroyers. If we don't capitalize all four letters of Wasps, hopefully it'll be okay. I don't get the Destroyers name, so I'll go with the fierce small animal.

This was a heat filled with risk.

smithandrew051
07-24-2020, 10:15 AM
Monarchs is one of my favorite options. Stays with the “royalty” theme and is a part of the City’s history. Works well with the current colors too.

Pitt Gorilla
07-24-2020, 11:10 AM
One of the coolest experiences of my life was getting to meet and talk with Buck O'Neil. If I knew he was somehow on board, I'd absolutely go with the Monarchs.

ThaVirus
07-24-2020, 11:49 AM
The more I think about Monarchs, the more I like it.

1COOLDOG
07-24-2020, 12:42 PM
If Hammerheads doesn't win the whole shootin' match, we'll forever be stuck hearing Mitch Holthus and Co. on the radio starting the 4th quarter with that dreaded unsynchronized chant: "Put the hammer down!".

KurtCobain
07-24-2020, 01:02 PM
I like monarchs, I really like fire chiefs. I was so torn between destroyers and wasps that I just decline to vote.

Rain Man
07-24-2020, 01:58 PM
I like monarchs, I really like fire chiefs. I was so torn between destroyers and wasps that I just decline to vote.

Can you explain the appeal of Detroyers to me? Obviously it's got a lot of backers, so it's a legitimate contender. Is it just a cool name and concept, or is there some Kansas City connection that I don't see as a non-local?

KChiefs1
07-24-2020, 01:59 PM
Monarchs
Fire Chiefs
River Kings
Destroyers

KChiefs1
07-24-2020, 02:02 PM
Can you explain the appeal of Detroyers to me? Obviously it's got a lot of backers, so it's a legitimate contender. Is it just a cool name and concept, or is there some Kansas City connection that I don't see as a non-local?

I voted for it because my original thought was that was honoring the USS Kansas City, which I thought was a destroyer. It’s not:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Kansas_City_(LCS-22)

Chief Roundup
07-24-2020, 07:25 PM
All options suck or no to all should also be an option on these polls.

KurtCobain
07-24-2020, 07:37 PM

I feel like it's just fun to destroy stuff.

Rain Man
07-24-2020, 08:32 PM
I feel like it's just fun to destroy stuff.

That's a compelling argument.

I voted for it because my original thought was that was honoring the USS Kansas City, which I thought was a destroyer. It’s not:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Kansas_City_(LCS-22)

That's less compelling.

patteeu
07-24-2020, 10:57 PM
I voted for

* Monarchs - It seems strange to have a saltwater fish as your mascot when you're based in Kansas City, so I prefer to appropriate the Monarchs name from the Negro league baseball team.

* Outlaws - I'm sure Fire Chiefs are tough, but sometimes on TV they're middle aged fat men (and not the kind of atheletic fat man you want in the trenches), so I went with outlaws who are reliably tough.

* River Kings - I liked Pioneers too, but River Kings has a nice ring to it.

* Wasps - I'm not a fan of Wasp at all, but Destroyers is worse. Throw them both out and include Pioneers in round 3.

Monticore
07-25-2020, 11:37 AM
When I see Monarch I think butterflies or the queen of England , neither should be associated with football.

Rain Man
07-27-2020, 09:45 AM
Monarchs, Outlaws, Pioneers, and Destroyers move to the Sweet Sixteen. We had a couple of close matchups here.

KurtCobain
07-27-2020, 10:33 AM
I really like the monarchs and the destroyers coming out of this round.