PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Best KC Area Public Golf Courses - A pole

BWillie
07-24-2020, 12:42 PM
After a long hiatus from the game, I've been golfing 1-2 times a week. I usually use golfnow and go all over. If I plan on golfing this much here on out I may need to joint a club though.

I wanted to see based on a poll from Kansas City area golfers what the best public golf course or semi-public golf course is? The Country Clubs & Private where you can't play without a member need not be included. Maybe do another pohl for that someday.

Perhaps I missed some but these seem to be the ones I could fine. Left out some obvious shit tracks like Gardner Golf Course & stuff like that.

Couch-Potato
07-24-2020, 12:45 PM
Deer Creek is nice.

blake5676
07-24-2020, 01:17 PM
Shoal gets a ton of praise and is nice but I think a little overrated. I pretty much live next door and play it plenty.

Only a few I haven't played on your list. For my money, Winterstone is maybe my favorite. I think it's highly underrated. Ironhorse is a great track too, but it's a beast.

I've heard Creekmoore is supposed to be really nice but haven't made the trip that far south yet.

RockChalk
07-24-2020, 01:18 PM
Sycamore Ridge or Shoal Creek, for my money. Although being on a golf course is all that really matters to me, not too picky.

Falcon Lakes usually has some killer afternoon deals if you don't mind the heat.

BWillie
07-24-2020, 01:40 PM
Shoal gets a ton of praise and is nice but I think a little overrated. I pretty much live next door and play it plenty.

Only a few I haven't played on your list. For my money, Winterstone is maybe my favorite. I think it's highly underrated. Ironhorse is a great track too, but it's a beast.

I've heard Creekmoore is supposed to be really nice but haven't made the trip that far south yet.

Ive heard Creekmore is nice too (and difficult) bit I haven't had a chance to play it. Ive played about a third of them on the list so my opinion:

Most affordable: Shoal (in afternoon)
Most fun/scoreable: Hodge and St Andrews
Underrated: I agree with Winterstone. Played that years ago when I first moved to KC
I also feel like not enough ppl talk about Ironhorse as one of the best.

Worst: Tomahawk. Not that alot of ppl love it but its incredible hilly and they close a golf course in tbe summer at 645pm. Just stupid. Golf courses should be open until sunset.

Most annoying: St Andrews. Unless you are ok playing 7 holes at 730pm this course is just too busy. Ive tried to play it as a single six times during the week and struck out every time this year.

Best: Shoal, Ironhorse, Sycamore

srvy
07-24-2020, 01:47 PM
You forgot Swope Memorial and The Deuce at The National. My favorite because its close to me is Schoal Creek. I chose Tifiney Springs because I somehow missed Shoal at the top lol.

I really like Dubs Dred years ago till it started to become a cow pasture hopefully they have fixed ti by now.

Lots of great courses just outside of KCMO. The Outlaw and Posse in Smithville lake. Shirkey in Richmond. Missouri oldest golf club Excelsior Springs GC.

blake5676
07-24-2020, 01:49 PM
Ive heard Creekmore is nice too (and difficult) bit I haven't had a chance to play it. Ive played about a third of them on the list so my opinion:

Most affordable: Shoal (in afternoon)
Most fun/scoreable: Hodge and St Andrews
Underrated: I agree with Winterstone. Played that years ago when I first moved to KC
I also feel like not enough ppl talk about Ironhorse as one of the best.

Worst: Tomahawk. Not that alot of ppl love it but its incredible hilly and they close a golf course in tbe summer at 645pm. Just stupid. Golf courses should be open until sunset.

Most annoying: St Andrews. Unless you are ok playing 7 holes at 730pm this course is just too busy. Ive tried to play it as a single six times during the week and struck out every time this year.

Best: Shoal, Ironhorse, Sycamore

I shouldn't knock Shoal...I'm just a little jaded bc I've played it so much and it's so damn crowded all the time. In fact, I haven't even been there this entire year. For the money and fun, it's tough to beat Hodge Park right across the street. It was my "home" course in high school...I bet I've played it 500 times in my life. I'm a hack these days and don't play nearly enough, but can still go out and fire a 37/38 on that front 9. And it's in great shape too over the last few years since they went zoysia.

You left both Smithville courses off. They've been in bad shape past two years but turning around now that new sprinklers run throughout. I personally prefer the Posse, but mostly bc I grew up playing that one way more than the Outlaw.

I'll throw one more out there as well. Never would've thought I'd say this, but Excelsior Springs has turned their course around in a big way the past few years as well. In excellent shape after being a dog for a good decade. New clubhouse this year as well. It's old and not super difficult, but you can play CHEAP out there.

Rain Man
07-24-2020, 01:53 PM
I think technically it's called a pin, not a pole.

BWillie
07-24-2020, 02:06 PM
You forgot Swope Memorial and The Deuce at The National. My favorite because its close to me is Schoal Creek. I chose Tifiney Springs because I somehow missed Shoal at the top lol.

I really like Dubs Dred years ago till it started to become a cow pasture hopefully they have fixed ti by now.

Lots of great courses just outside of KCMO. The Outlaw and Posse in Smithville lake. Shirkey in Richmond. Missouri oldest golf club Excelsior Springs GC.

I just assumed The Deuce at The National was a private club. Do they have pretty good twilight rates? Swope should be on there, just didn't list it as Swope Memorial. I've never played it.

Kman34
07-24-2020, 02:11 PM
I play at Winterstone and Adams Point because I have the Stone Pass.. After leaving Great Life this year, WS and AP make the Great Life courses look like cow pastures....

loochy
07-24-2020, 02:13 PM
A pole? Yeah, you love poles.

srvy
07-24-2020, 02:19 PM
I just assumed The Deuce at The National was a private club. Do they have pretty good twilight rates?

My bad it is private. My old dear Jr and HS buddy is a Member at the National and he has taken me as his guest several times. I always thought the Deuce was semi-public but the website says nope.

blake5676
07-24-2020, 03:31 PM
My bad it is private. My old dear Jr and HS buddy is a Member at the National and he has taken me as his guest several times. I always thought the Deuce was semi-public but the website says nope.

It's been semi-private in the past. Pretty sure it's been members only for a few years now as the economy has been better.

bdj23
07-24-2020, 03:41 PM
I liked Firekeeper @ Prairie Band, but it might be considered outside of the KC area.

O.city
07-24-2020, 03:50 PM
I liked iron horse a lot

Dartgod
07-24-2020, 03:55 PM
I rarely play any of the higher end courses, but I have played Creekmore and it's pretty damn nice.