PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Marlins' Home Opener Cancelled, 14 Positive Tests Of COVIDS

JakeF
07-27-2020, 07:52 AM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/marlins-orioles-game-canceled-due-to-covid-19-outbreak-resulting-in-at-least-14-cases-per-reports/

Marlins-Orioles game canceled due to COVID-19 outbreak resulting in at least 14 cases, per reports
The Marlins will not be opening the home portion of their schedule as planned
R.J. Anderson
4 mins ago

Playing: Report: Marlins Home Opener Cancelled Amid Covid-19 Outbreak In Clubhouse (7:48)

Major League Baseball's season is less than a week old, but one team has already experienced a COVID-19 outbreak that will sideline a chunk of its roster and has caused a game to be canceled.

The Miami Marlins, who had four players test positive during their opening series against the Philadelphia Phillies, had an additional eight players and two coaches test positive on Monday, less than 12 hours before they were supposed to play their home opener against the Baltimore Orioles, according to ESPN's Jeff Passan.

That means the Marlins have had at least 14 individuals become infected over the last several days. In response to the outbreak, the Marlins game against the Orioles on Monday night will not be played, according to The Athletic's Ken Rosenthal.

Here are five things to know about this story.

Who has been affected?

Four individuals consented to allow the Marlins to disclose their positive test ahead of Monday's news: Catcher Jorge Alfaro, outfielders Garrett Cooper and Harold Ramirez, and pitcher Jose Urena, who was scratched prior to his Sunday start.

Where are the Marlins, Orioles?

The Marlins have not left Philadelphia. They were scheduled to depart on Sunday evening, after the game, but changed their plans to leave on Monday. That flight did not take off, however.

The Orioles, meanwhile, do appear to be in Miami. Outfielder Dwight Smith Jr. tweeted that the plane was departing on Sunday night. That tracks with the normal operating procedures that see teams arrive the night prior rather than the morning of games.

What about the Phillies game on Monday?

The Phillies remain scheduled to host the New York Yankees on Monday evening. It's unclear if that will change prior to the first pitch.

Are the Phillies at risk of a similar outbreak?

Because the Marlins almost certainly had individuals who tested positive playing in games over the weekend, it's fair to wonder if the Phillies might be at risk of a similar outbreak.

Based on what is known about COVID-19, the highest risk for infection is spending prolonged time in closed or poorly ventilated areas with large crowds and in an intimate fashion. In other words, playing a baseball game outside with (mostly) fleeting contact does not seem like a situation that should engender transmission from one individual to another -- at least not on another team.

The Athletic talked to a pair of infectious-disease experts who agreed that the likelihood of transmission from the Marlins to the Phillies was "low." Of course, "low" doesn't mean zero, and Phillies players (and Yankees players, if they are asked to dress in the same clubhouse as the Marlins did) are right to be nervous about the situation at hand.

Will the season be canceled?

This is an unknowable question at this point, in part because there are no clear guidelines on what would trigger the season to be scrapped. Again, as The Athletic noted, the decision is in the hands of commissioner Rob Manfred, and him alone.

Ostensibly, if the season remains in place, then more players could opt-out rather than expose themselves and their loved ones to the potential for a similar outbreak in their clubhouse.

Sassy Squatch
07-27-2020, 07:55 AM
Welp, let's see how much longer the season goes.

backinblack
07-27-2020, 08:00 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Waiting to hear if the 2020 MLB season has been cancelled. Nothing definitive yet. “In jeopardy” seems to be the most texted term to me in the last 30 minutes.</p>&mdash; Craig Mish (@CraigMish) <a href="https://twitter.com/CraigMish/status/1287740873560784898?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 27, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

DaFace
07-27-2020, 08:03 AM
Why is there so much talk about canceling the whole season? This doesn't bode well, but it seems early for that kind of thing.

eDave
07-27-2020, 08:05 AM
Why is there so much talk about canceling the whole season? This doesn't bode well, but it seems early for that kind of thing.

"14 Positive Tests Of COVIDS"

tyecopeland
07-27-2020, 08:06 AM

Especially if their last opponent doesnt see any cases from it.

JakeF
07-27-2020, 08:06 AM
Why is there so much talk about canceling the whole season? This doesn't bode well, but it seems early for that kind of thing.Because infections tend to increase exponentially. Noboby wants to be the league that has 100's of players getting sick. The NBA suspended it's season after 2 positive tests.

Sassy Squatch
07-27-2020, 08:07 AM
Pretty clear these protocols aren't doing shit if 12/30 players already have it.

wazu
07-27-2020, 08:07 AM
Next 14 men up.

ChiefBlueCFC
07-27-2020, 08:12 AM
Makes me very worried for this season. Hopefully we get to see our World Champs back on the field for a full season

KCUnited
07-27-2020, 08:12 AM
The Orioles have aids and are still playing.

eDave
07-27-2020, 08:13 AM

Heh.

That's quality content right there.

Hoover
07-27-2020, 08:14 AM
Need to know more about the 14.

Are they asymptomatic? If so, what's the big deal. Yeah sucks for the season, but they're the Marlins.

We need to learn from this situation, not over react and just shut down the entire season.

Hoover
07-27-2020, 08:14 AM
Because infections tend to increase exponentially. Noboby wants to be the league that has 100's of players getting sick. The NBA suspended it's season after 2 positive tests.
But are they sick?

eDave
07-27-2020, 08:17 AM
But are they sick?

...World Health Organization official clarified on Tuesday that scientists have not determined yet how frequently people with asymptomatic cases of Covid-19 pass the disease on to others...

Sassy Squatch
07-27-2020, 08:22 AM
But are they sick?
Some are actually sick.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Also hearing not all cases are asymptomatic <a href="https://t.co/05RGNlw0Nq">https://t.co/05RGNlw0Nq</a></p>&mdash; Jesse Rogers (@JesseRogersESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/JesseRogersESPN/status/1287738518714884109?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 27, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sassy Squatch
07-27-2020, 08:25 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Not to pile on, but it&#39;s worth keeping in mind today that the Reds had multiple players sit out yesterday because they were not feeling well. Test results will be forthcoming, and protocols, and all that. But Cubs are scheduled to play there today at 5:40pm CT.</p>&mdash; Bleacher Nation (@BleacherNation) <a href="https://twitter.com/BleacherNation/status/1287751385514156033?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 27, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Great8
07-27-2020, 08:28 AM

Truth.
And I'm an O's fan

DaFace
07-27-2020, 08:29 AM
Because infections tend to increase exponentially. Noboby wants to be the league that has 100's of players getting sick. The NBA suspended it's season after 2 positive tests.

Sure, but did people actually believe that they'd get through the season with zero infections? That seems pretty naive if so.

If it's spreading through the league like wildfire, that's one thing. But if it's restricted to one team, that just seems like the expected outcome to me.

The question is whether it spread to their opponent and whether that's where it stopped.

tk13
07-27-2020, 08:31 AM
But are they sick?

With that many cases I'd say odds are high some of them are sick.

There have been plenty of reports of players getting sick, fevers, fatigue, etc. There's one player from the Red Sox they're watching for heart inflammation. Knock on wood that these guys are all generally low risk to die from this... but the virus is totally capable of knocking out half a team and making them sick.

jd1020
07-27-2020, 08:33 AM
Sure, but did people actually believe that they'd get through the season with zero infections? That seems pretty naive if so.

If it's spreading through the league like wildfire, that's one thing. But if it's restricted to one team, that just seems like the expected outcome to me.

The question is whether it spread to their opponent and whether that's where it stopped.

The Reds sat out like 3-4 players yesterday and the Cubs are going there to play there today.

It seems pretty naive to think it wouldnt spread throughout the league when teams are still traveling around the US to play.

tk13
07-27-2020, 08:34 AM
And here go the dominoes.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Tonight’s Yankees-Phillies game is cancelled, source tells The Athletic.</p>&mdash; Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1287757902548172803?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 27, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

kstater
Fuck

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Sassy Squatch

What about the Yankees? Going to be using the same clubhouse that the Marlins were. If for some reason it's not cleaned adequately and you have an outbreak there, now what do you do?

Edit: nevermind, game is cancelled.

BigRedChief
Pretty clear these protocols aren't doing shit if 12/30 players already have it.wellll I'd say its not the protocols fault. Its the players following them.

A player went home for bereavement leave. Got caught going to a strip club "for food". How many times a day do players violate the rules? They grew up entitled, everyone telling them they are special. Getting away with not following the rules. We will wear a mask but lets go see some titties.

Hammock Parties
07-27-2020, 08:35 AM
We're done.

MMXcalibur
07-27-2020, 08:35 AM
Because of course, it had to be a team from Florida.

Marcellus
07-27-2020, 08:40 AM
Sounds like they will be at herd immunity soon.

DrRyan
07-27-2020, 08:41 AM
wellll I'd say its not the protocols fault. Its the players following them.

A player went home for bereavement leave. Got caught going to a strip club "for food". How many times a day do players violate the rules? They grew up entitled, everyone telling them they are special. Getting away with not following the rules. We will wear a mask but lets go see some titties.

NBA, not MLB amigo.

https://sports.yahoo.com/what-has-been-the-biggest-threat-to-the-nba-bubble-louwill-lemon-pepper-bbq-wings-162237418.html

Why Not?
07-27-2020, 08:42 AM
We're done.

This is the most likely outcome.

Sassy Squatch
07-27-2020, 08:43 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Phillies organization becomes a hugely important factor now in where things go from here. Test results on personnel likely will be known this evening. I believe other games scheduled for tonight will be played.</p>&mdash; Karl Ravech (@karlravechespn) <a href="https://twitter.com/karlravechespn/status/1287758912033296385?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 27, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

We'll know tonight.

DaFace
07-27-2020, 08:44 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Phillies organization becomes a hugely important factor now in where things go from here. Test results on personnel likely will be known this evening. I believe other games scheduled for tonight will be played.</p>&mdash; Karl Ravech (@karlravechespn) <a href="https://twitter.com/karlravechespn/status/1287758912033296385?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 27, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

We'll know tonight.

Yep. If they have zero positives, I think the plan can be deemed to be working. If they have a ton of them, we're probably done.

BigRedChief
07-27-2020, 08:45 AM
NBA, not MLB amigo.

https://sports.yahoo.com/what-has-been-the-biggest-threat-to-the-nba-bubble-louwill-lemon-pepper-bbq-wings-162237418.htmlI was generalizing athletes as entitled rule breakers. They will not stay in lockdown for months. I'm for sure, without a doubt baseball players have not 100% followed the protocols. That was just an example.

tk13
07-27-2020, 08:47 AM
Problem is we may not know for a week if anyone on the Phillies got it. But you just have to test, test, test and try and stay ahead of it.

The real question is what do the Marlins do now? It's going to throw the whole balance of the season off if they have to postpone a bunch of games.

TwistedChief
07-27-2020, 08:47 AM

I think if it's spread to their opponent, it's clearly game over.

But even so, what kind of protocols are they following when at least 14 people on the team have gotten sick over the first series? That's A LOT and absolutely doesn't bode well for any other team sport.

tk13
07-27-2020, 08:51 AM

But even so, what kind of protocols are they following when at least 14 people on the team have gotten sick over the first series? That's A LOT and absolutely doesn't bode well for any other team sport.

I'm not sure we really know. What we do know is they played exhibitions against the Braves early last week, and both of the Braves catchers came down sick on Friday. Did they give it to the Marlins? I'm not sure if the catchers tested positive or not, but even if they didn't this virus is hard to track because of the delay of it showing up.

PunkinDrublic
07-27-2020, 08:52 AM
We need a fenced off border wall on the Florida state line.

BigRedChief
07-27-2020, 08:53 AM

But even so, what kind of protocols are they following when at least 14 people on the team have gotten sick over the first series? That's A LOT and absolutely doesn't bode well for any other team sport.Thats my point. No way the players followed the protocols and still had 14 cases. Maybe it was just one that violated the protocols and they infected the others, maybe the 14 invited some girls back to the room to have a party etc. etc.:hmmm:

Pablo
07-27-2020, 08:53 AM
Welp at least I only have to watch three Royals games this year.

dirk digler
07-27-2020, 08:54 AM
If baseball cancels their season so soon I have zero hope for football unless they put all the teams in a bubble like the NBA is. But even then you will have idiots like Lou Williams breaking quarantine to go to a strip club.

kstater
07-27-2020, 08:55 AM
I think this all but guarantees college football isn't happening.

tk13
07-27-2020, 08:56 AM
If baseball cancels their season so soon I have zero hope for football unless they put all the teams in a bubble like the NBA is. But even then you will have idiots like Lou Williams breaking quarantine to go to a strip club.

Even just from a player perspective, if MLB gets too out of control you're going to have NFL players say screw this and opting out.

ChiliConCarnage
07-27-2020, 08:58 AM
I'm not sure we really know. What we do know is they played exhibitions against the Braves early last week, and both of the Braves catchers came down with the virus Friday. Did they give it to the Marlins?

Dang, and we just started playing. Ugh.

I guess the Marlins just forfeit some games for a while? Even if we have to deal with wackiness from teams playing different numbers of games, I'd rather have some sort of season as long as it doesn't get too dangerous for personnel.

Have they said how many non-players/coaches have got it? If it spread this much surely other staff that travel with the team must have come down with it.

MMXcalibur
07-27-2020, 09:04 AM
Who’s going to willingly want to go play the Dolphins, Jaguars, or Buccaneers?
NFL needs to bubble up or this season is toast. Hell, bubble up in North Dakota.

Marcellus
07-27-2020, 09:07 AM

I'm not joking, I think the issue is demographics. The difference between baseball, football, and the NBA will prove or disprove this theory.

Its going to be an interesting test as it keeps cropping up heavily in the Latino community.

Pablo
07-27-2020, 09:07 AM
Who’s going to willingly want to go play the Dolphins, Jaguars, or Buccaneers?
NFL needs to bubble up or this season is toast. Hell, bubble up in North Dakota.

Ship them all to Hawaii. It's a never ending pro bowl in paradise!

O.city
07-27-2020, 09:08 AM
You can’t bubble the nfl there’s too many people in the operations. It would take quarantining like 400 people per team

Sassy Squatch
07-27-2020, 09:10 AM
If you're caught breaking protocol, you're involuntarily opted out. Union doesn't like it then cancel the season and pay them for 3 games.

L.A. Chieffan
Well it's been a fun weekend of sports but if we can't even go four days without basically an entire squad being knocked out how are they gonna get through a season. Team sports is dead until vaccine. See ya in 2022. Chiefs will still be champs

KChiefs1
Fuck!!!!!

This puts the NFL season in jeopardy.

eDave
I'll eat shit if I'm wrong but I think this ends things. All things.

wazu
07-27-2020, 09:11 AM
You can’t bubble the nfl there’s too many people in the operations. It would take quarantining like 400 people per team

I’m good with that.

DrRyan
07-27-2020, 09:11 AM
Thats my point. No way the players followed the protocols and still had 14 cases. Maybe it was just one that violated the protocols and they infected the others, maybe the 14 invited some girls back to the room to have a party etc. etc.:hmmm:

There is absolutely no way you can say that without direct knowledge. As was mentioned a couple posts back 2 Braves catchers were sick Friday (I believe). Is it possible that players have broke rules? Sure. But to claim there is no way players followed the rules is just looking to stir the pot without having actual evidence any of that happened.

It would seem more likely that one player became infected in a manner that none of us have the ability to know how and spread it in the clubhouse. Teams have literally played one series and immediately jumping to them not following protocols and 14 players invited girls back to the room for a party, while certainly possible, is pure speculation at this point.

TwistedChief
07-27-2020, 09:15 AM
There is absolutely no way you can say that without direct knowledge. As was mentioned a couple posts back 2 Braves catchers were sick Friday (I believe). Is it possible that players have broke rules? Sure. But to claim there is no way players followed the rules is just looking to stir the pot without having actual evidence any of that happened.

It would seem more likely that one player became infected in a manner that none of us have the ability to know how and spread it in the clubhouse. Teams have literally played one series and immediately jumping to them not following protocols and 14 players invited girls back to the room for a party, while certainly possible, is pure speculation at this point.

Yeah, but your doctorate was in women's lit. It's not like you're a real doctor.

DaFace
07-27-2020, 09:19 AM
Well it's been a fun weekend of sports but if we can't even go four days without basically an entire squad being knocked out how are they gonna get through a season. Team sports is dead until vaccine. See ya in 2022. Chiefs will still be champs

I honestly think the NHL has the best shot at it (for the playoffs). Limited number of teams, and the number will shrink as we go on. Complete bubble (in theory). It's not a guarantee, but I think it's got a good shot.

ChiliConCarnage
07-27-2020, 09:23 AM

I don't think you'd have many players interested in being bubble'd for possibly 3/4 of the year even if it were logistically possible. The NBA is doing it but it's just a few games and then the playoffs.

BigRedChief
07-27-2020, 09:25 AM
It would seem more likely that one player became infected in a manner that none of us have the ability to know how and spread it in the clubhouse.Man, you are one smart cookie. How to you figure out that generalization on your own?

Teams have literally played one series and immediately jumping to them not following protocols and 14 players invited girls back to the room for a party, while certainly possible, is pure speculation at this point.You think I was saying I'm embedded with the Marlins? What the fuck do you think I was doing but speculating? :doh!:

staylor26
07-27-2020, 09:29 AM
No sports till 2030!

BWillie
07-27-2020, 09:30 AM
Makes me very worried for this season. Hopefully we get to see our World Champs back on the field for a full season

If there is any sport this is the most difficult to do this with, it's football. The size of the rosters, the close proximity to each other you have to keep to play the game. Combine that with the season occurring during the cold and flu season and you have a recipe for disaster.

NBA is doing it right. You have to do this in a "bubble". There is no reason to travel if you aren't going to have fans.

The only possible way we will have a full season or a chance at one, is if the NFL adopts the bubble format. I suspect the players would throw a fit, though. It wouldn't be so bad, you could still see family they would just need to adhere to quarantine rules before entering the facility.

suzzer99
07-27-2020, 09:31 AM
They really have to rethink locker rooms if this is ever going to work. I know MLB has protocols. But I wouldn't be surprised if that protocol amounts to "wipe everything down after the players leave".

MLB also has the extra problem of dugouts where the players sit around in close proximity w/o good air movement.

Somehow little leaguers play w/o locker rooms or real dugouts. Seems like it could be done.

DrRyan
07-27-2020, 09:32 AM
Man, you are one smart cookie. How to you figure out that generalization on your own?

You think I was saying I'm embedded with the Marlins? What the **** do you think I was doing but speculating? :doh!:

It's hyperbole man. You said there is no way the players followed the protocols. I am saying that there no way to verify that and you are being immediately reactionary with not a single shred of current evidence to even suggest that.

I'm saying it would be possible to follow the protocols and still become infected. You are saying that is not possible. And no, I have no belief that you are in any way embedded with the Marlins. This info is likely are par with your old BRC insider chiefs info emails. :)

BWillie
07-27-2020, 09:32 AM
Pretty clear these protocols aren't doing shit if 12/30 players already have it.

You can't expect to play the game of baseball, share a locker room and dugout, team meetings, video sessions etc and not get sick. The issue remains if you allow players to go home they will contract the virus else where. From family, from going to restaurants, public places etc.

jd1020
07-27-2020, 09:34 AM
If there is any sport this is the most difficult to do this with, it's football. The size of the rosters, the close proximity to each other you have to keep to play the game. Combine that with the season occurring during the cold and flu season and you have a recipe for disaster.

NBA is doing it right. You have to do this in a "bubble". There is no reason to travel if you aren't going to have fans.

The only possible way we will have a full season or a chance at one, is if the NFL adopts the bubble format. I suspect the players would throw a fit, though. It wouldn't be so bad, you could still see family they would just need to adhere to quarantine rules before entering the facility.

So if you had all the money you needed to say piss on playing football for the year, you would still sign up to live in a bubble for however many months they decide?

RunKC
07-27-2020, 09:34 AM

Play the games in least affected states that are spread out like Wyoming, Montana, North Dakota and South Dakota.

All very close as well so little travel

ptlyon
07-27-2020, 09:35 AM
No sports till 2030!

This is basically the case, or permanent if you are going to have the number of positive cases be the factor.

dirk digler
07-27-2020, 09:36 AM
I'm not joking, I think the issue is demographics. The difference between baseball, football, and the NBA will prove or disprove this theory.

Its going to be an interesting test as it keeps cropping up heavily in the Latino community.

African Americans have been hit extremely hard also with covid and they make up the vast majority of the NBA\NFL.

BWillie
07-27-2020, 09:37 AM

Compared to basketball and football, spreading it to the opposing team in baseball would be much more difficult. You are rarely in close enough proximity to someone on the other team for any long period of time.

I would imagine it is the easiest in basketball to contract it from an opposing player, next football and then waaay last baseball.

Touching the baseball, basketball or football that other team has used isn't gonna do it. As I'm sure you know, this is spread primarily from droplets in air of being in close proximity of people. Washing your hands or using hand sanitizer his highly overrated in the quest to mitigate the spread. Social distancing is highly underrated.

BWillie
07-27-2020, 09:38 AM
So if you had all the money you needed to say piss on playing football for the year, you would still sign up to live in a bubble for however many months they decide?

I would do just about anything for 500K+ a year. Guys leave their families in the US to go play professionally in Europe for part of the year already for much much less.

eDave
07-27-2020, 09:39 AM
This was an apprehensive open and needed to be perfect.

BeMyValentine
07-27-2020, 09:41 AM
Does anyone know where the royals draft pick would be with all the tiebreakers?

tk13
07-27-2020, 09:44 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hearing Marlins are out there looking for extra MLB quality players. Obviously they have a lot of concerns but one of them is fielding a representative team.</p>&mdash; Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) <a href="https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1287767407092801541?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 27, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

BWillie
07-27-2020, 09:45 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hearing Marlins are out there looking for extra MLB quality players. Obviously they have a lot of concerns but one of them is fielding a representative team.</p>&mdash; Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) <a href="https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1287767407092801541?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 27, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It's like the real life Major League movie. Except instead of a strike, it's a pandemic.

Marcellus
07-27-2020, 09:46 AM

WTF is this supposed to mean?

jd1020
07-27-2020, 09:47 AM

Did they field one in the first place?

ptlyon
07-27-2020, 09:47 AM

It means we got a job!

wazu
07-27-2020, 09:48 AM

The show must go on.

kcxiv
07-27-2020, 09:49 AM
and they want kids to go back to school? lol There is no way NFL season is going to happen. This is unfortunate. Us Americans are just to hardheaded.

Sassy Squatch
07-27-2020, 09:58 AM
https://nesn.com/2020/07/mlb-reportedly-not-considering-canceling-season-despite-marlins-covid-outbreak/?__twitter_impression=true

Not considering cancelling season

jd1020
07-27-2020, 10:01 AM
https://nesn.com/2020/07/mlb-reportedly-not-considering-canceling-season-despite-marlins-covid-outbreak/?__twitter_impression=true

Not considering cancelling season

Article was written before the Phillies game was canceled as they are using a tweet from Heyman saying that the Phillies game MAY be canceled.

"Obviously, this situation is subject to change at any moment."

The league is now setting up a meeting with all 30 owners. Won't know what will happen until thats over with. My gut is they either bubble up or the season is done.

Gravedigger
07-27-2020, 10:03 AM
I know this is insensitive, but did the Marlins really have a chance of winning it all anyways, even with expanded playoff rules?

tk13
07-27-2020, 10:04 AM
It's too late to bubble at this point. Jeff Passan was just on ESPN and he seems to be leaning toward the idea that the season will continue.

If that's the case the Marlins will have some work to do. Nobody really knows how they're going to proceed. Passan said the same thing as Heyman, they are out looking for potential MLB players to field a team.

Deberg_1990
07-27-2020, 10:08 AM
Why wasn’t the bubble implemented like they first brought up months ago? What happened with that?

If they were not going to have fans in the stands, there’s very little value in playing in home stadiums.

Titty Meat
07-27-2020, 10:09 AM
Meanwhile other countries sports leagues are continuing just fine and have fans at the games. Our president is a tard

Hoover
07-27-2020, 10:11 AM
Meanwhile other countries sports leagues are continuing just fine and have fans at the games. Our president is a tard
It has nothing to do with who our President is.

Titty Meat
07-27-2020, 10:12 AM
It has nothing to do with who our President is.

Yeah our countries handling of the pandemic has been so awesome lol

O.city
07-27-2020, 10:14 AM
Play the games in least affected states that are spread out like Wyoming, Montana, North Dakota and South Dakota.

All very close as well so little travel

Nah, you can do it in cities they’re currently on.

Guys are just gonna have to be disciplined and basically have their families isolate. No going out, no big groups etc. they can hang out with each other a lot no problems.

Or clark could buy a fleet of rvs and put them out at arrowhead parking lots and they can live there i guess

DaFace
07-27-2020, 10:17 AM

Buh bye.

tyecopeland
07-27-2020, 10:30 AM
Im not sure that the nba bubble is really working that well. How many people didnt show up in the first place and haven't there been a ton who have left for various stretches since it started? There hasn't been a covid breakout but there haven't been games yet and it already feels lime a watered down product.

ModSocks
07-27-2020, 10:34 AM
It had to be Florida right? One of the states that's had a "who gives a fuck, Covid isn't real" attitude. Figures.

FloridaMan88
07-27-2020, 10:37 AM
It had to be Florida right? One of the states that's had a "who gives a ****, Covid isn't real" attitude. Figures.

Except the Marlins have been on the road in Philly for the past week plus.

Meanwhile Tampa which did open the season at home (in the state of Florida) had no issues.

Marcellus
07-27-2020, 11:05 AM
It had to be Florida right? One of the states that's had a "who gives a ****, Covid isn't real" attitude. Figures.

FL and Cali have basically the same numbers statistically and Texas is even lower than Cali so your argument is invalid.

KC_Connection
07-27-2020, 11:08 AM
Im not sure that the nba bubble is really working that well. How many people didnt show up in the first place and haven't there been a ton who have left for various stretches since it started? There hasn't been a covid breakout but there haven't been games yet and it already feels lime a watered down product.
There were only a handful of players who skipped the restart and most of those guys were on bad teams who had no chance at a championship. A few have left since then for various reasons (and have to quarantine upon their return), but the bubble is working fine so far (there were no positive tests during the last report). It is in the MLS in Orlando as well.

The NFL should be considering a similar option right now.

Sassy Squatch
07-27-2020, 11:10 AM
So allegedly the Marlins knew of 4 players that had it and decided in a group text to play anyway.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Marlins’ group text message decided game vs. Phillies would be played Sunday after COVID-19 outbreak <a href="https://t.co/ixGIxNu23F">https://t.co/ixGIxNu23F</a></p>&mdash; Philadelphia Inquirer Sports (@phillysport) <a href="https://twitter.com/phillysport/status/1287786331125493760?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 27, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

tk13
07-27-2020, 11:10 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Told <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Marlins?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Marlins</a> players were likely infected in Atlanta last week, not in Philly over the weekend. Phillies players being tested today, Citizens Bank Park undergoing deep cleaning now. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Yankees?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Yankees</a> sequestered in a remote hotel, expecting to play tomorrow.</p>&mdash; Bob Klapisch (@BobKlap) <a href="https://twitter.com/BobKlap/status/1287795113171865600?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 27, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

O.city
07-27-2020, 11:15 AM
There were only a handful of players who skipped the restart and most of those guys were on bad teams who had no chance at a championship. A few have left since then for various reasons (and have to quarantine upon their return), but the bubble is working fine so far (there were no positive tests during the last report). It is in the MLS in Orlando as well.

The NFL should be considering a similar option right now.

I just don’t know that they can. There’s so many more people involved

Bearcat
07-27-2020, 11:18 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Told <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Marlins?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Marlins</a> players were likely infected in Atlanta last week, not in Philly over the weekend. Phillies players being tested today, Citizens Bank Park undergoing deep cleaning now. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Yankees?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Yankees</a> sequestered in a remote hotel, expecting to play tomorrow.</p>&mdash; Bob Klapisch (@BobKlap) <a href="https://twitter.com/BobKlap/status/1287795113171865600?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 27, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Yeah, seems pretty doubtful 14 players would test positive with less than a 3 day incubation period.... Atlanta's a far better bet, if not before then.

tk13
07-27-2020, 11:21 AM
Yeah, seems pretty doubtful 14 players would test positive with less than a 3 day incubation period.... Atlanta's a far better bet, if not before then.

Yeah that's my worry. They can test the Phillies now and that's fine, but if they did catch it from the Marlins we may not really know for a few more days. They have to stay on top of testing the Phillies this week.

KC_Connection
07-27-2020, 11:21 AM
I just don’t know that they can. There’s so many more people involved
If it's the only feasible option so that the owners and players can make millions, they'll find a way.

Of course the NFL may be just fine with massive outbreaks like the Marlins had in a normal season. They'd get a lot of shit for it in the media, but just plowing ahead wouldn't surprise me either.

Bearcat
07-27-2020, 11:24 AM
Yeah that's my worry. They can test the Phillies now and that's fine, but if they did catch it from the Marlins we may not really know for a few more days. They have to stay on top of testing the Phillies this week.

Yep... the NHL's 'bubble' makes much more sense than having all of this travel, where you could be in 3 cities in a matter of 7-10 days, before players would even test positive.

mr. tegu
07-27-2020, 11:39 AM
If the Phillies players have it the likelihood they got it from the Marlins players is very remote so I don’t see why them testing positive means the season would be cancelled. Odds are extremely high players or staff on every team have it right now anyways.

tk13
07-27-2020, 11:40 AM
If it's the only feasible option so that the owners and players can make millions, they'll find a way.

Of course the NFL may be just fine with massive outbreaks like the Marlins had in a normal season. They'd get a lot of shit for it in the media, but just plowing ahead wouldn't surprise me either.

I think the NFL's challenge is guys just can't switch positions like they can in MLB. You can lose a few guys in baseball and you usually have other pitchers or guys who can move around the field, play LF/RF or 2B/SS, 1B/RF etc.

In football if you lose 2 QBs, or 2 RBs, or 3-4 WRs you're going to be hurting.

jd1020
07-27-2020, 11:42 AM
I think the NFL's challenge is guys just can't switch positions like they can in MLB. You can lose a few guys in baseball and you usually have other pitchers or guys who can move around the field, play LF/RF or 2B/SS, 1B/RF etc.

In football if you lose 2 QBs, or 2 RBs, or 3-4 WRs you're going to be hurting.

If baseball has to start putting pitchers at SS then cancel the season.

tk13
07-27-2020, 11:48 AM
Sounds like tomorrow's game isn't happening. Sounds like they're going to play in Baltimore if the Marlins can field a team.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Baltimore Orioles are returning home from Miami tonight, sources tell ESPN, ensuring Tuesday&#39;s game won&#39;t be played at Marlins Park, either.<br><br>At some point, the healthy Marlins are expected to travel to Baltimore, where they were scheduled to play Wednesday and Thursday.</p>&mdash; Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) <a href="https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1287806828974428161?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 27, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

BWillie
07-27-2020, 11:53 AM

LOLOL This deep cleaning crap. So funny. Deep cleaning doesn't matter, much at all. Being in the dugout with 4 possibly infected players talking, huffing and puffing does.

Pitt Gorilla
07-27-2020, 11:55 AM
Can the Royals simply forfeit the rest of the season and draft Rocker?

KINGPIN CHIEFS FAN
07-27-2020, 12:42 PM
If the Marlins picked it up in Atlanta last week you can bet that the Braves are going to have a lot of positive results too and the snowball will begin to get bigger until the whole league has to close down. Golf seems to be the only sport where they can contain outbreaks enough to have a season.

KCJake
07-27-2020, 12:49 PM
Next 14 men up.

So fcking true.

JohnnyHammersticks
07-27-2020, 01:14 PM
Up until 4 months ago I was a huge Rockies/MLB fan. Watched every single Rox game. Now they could shut MLB and the NBA down permanently and I wouldn't miss either the slightest bit.

I simply found other things (working on my golf game, road biking, working on my day-trading game) to replace watching baseball with, and as it turns out, I actually enjoy those other things more than I enjoyed watching baseball. I suspect a lot of other people have done something similar.

If the Chiefs weren't so on fire right now I'd probably do the same with the NFL.

Get woke, go broke.

suzzer99
07-27-2020, 01:32 PM
LOLOL This deep cleaning crap. So funny. Deep cleaning doesn't matter, much at all. Being in the dugout with 4 possibly infected players talking, huffing and puffing does.

Exactly. https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/07/scourge-hygiene-theater/614599/

A good case study of how the coronavirus spreads, and does not spread, is the famous March outbreak in a mixed-use skyscraper in Seoul, South Korea. On one side of the 11th floor of the building, about half the members of a chatty call center got sick. But less than 1 percent of the remainder of the building contracted COVID-19, even though more than 1,000 workers and residents shared elevators and were surely touching the same buttons within minutes of one another. “The call-center case is a great example,” says Donald Schaffner, a food-microbiology professor who studies disease contamination at Rutgers University. “You had clear airborne transmission with many, many opportunities for mass fomite transmission in the same place. But we just didn’t see it.” Schaffner told me, “In the entire peer-reviewed COVID-19 literature, I’ve found maybe one truly plausible report, in Singapore, of fomite transmission. And even there, it is not a slam-dunk case. ”

Fomite = surface transfer.

Marcellus
07-27-2020, 02:03 PM
:hmmm: BRC may have been on to something. From the Athletic-

In the minutes preceding Sunday’s game at Citizens Bank Park, a few people in the Phillies dugout glanced across the field and had a sobering thought. It became a conversation, albeit a cursory one in the moment because there was baseball to play. Should we even be here? They wondered about it. They knew something was wrong, just from the information relayed by the Marlins that morning. But some perceptive Phillies had been alarmed all weekend by how the Marlins had appeared to not stagger their arrivals and workouts and how few people in the Marlins dugout were wearing masks.

Hoover
07-27-2020, 02:06 PM
My God, if that's true that Franchise is a bigger dumpster fire than I thought.

Demonpenz
07-27-2020, 02:20 PM
When ivy league cancels sports there is no chance of other sports going forward.

teedubya
07-27-2020, 03:05 PM
Wake me up when there is a DEATH... these cases where you are asymptomatic... and you have to be tested to know if you even have it... is bullshit.

DaFace
07-27-2020, 03:06 PM
Wake me up when there is a DEATH... these cases where you are asymptomatic... and you have to be tested to know if you even have it... is bullshit.

I don't even know how to respond to this. If this gets so bad that a professional athlete dies, all sports at all levels would immediately stop for years. That absolutely cannot happen.

Mecca
07-27-2020, 03:08 PM

Because what you want to happen is for there to be no sports for the next 3 years, that's pretty much what you're asking for here.

tk13
07-27-2020, 03:09 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Eduardo Rodriguez confirms heart condition: &#39;I&#39;m still scared but now I know exactly what it is&#39; <a href="https://t.co/tP6teqdsw8">https://t.co/tP6teqdsw8</a></p>&mdash; WEEI (@WEEI) <a href="https://twitter.com/WEEI/status/1287753105287913472?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 27, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

D.A.P.
07-27-2020, 03:13 PM

Heh.

Bearcat
07-27-2020, 03:19 PM
I don't even know how to respond to this. If this gets so bad that a professional athlete dies, all sports at all levels would immediately stop for years. That absolutely cannot happen.

Much less simply keeping others safe, such as any coach, trainer, support staff, etc; who obviously aren't all at their physical peak.

Yeah.... "wake me up" when Andy Reid dies because asymptomatic players spread it to a coach who -- wild guess -- could have underlying conditions and be in a sub-optimal age group. :rolleyes:

BigRedChief
07-27-2020, 03:21 PM
Wake me up when there is a DEATH... these cases where you are asymptomatic... and you have to be tested to know if you even have it... is bullshit.:shake: come on man....extrapolate this out....

Because what you want to happen is for there to be no sports for the next 3 years, that's pretty much what you're asking for here.We don't even need a death, just any athlete that loses their career to damage from the virus. 1% of covid patients under 30 have permanent lung damage. Usually 5% or so. No biggie for you and me but to an athlete competing at the highest level?

We will lose all sports until who knows when....

sedated
07-27-2020, 03:28 PM
Much less simply keeping others safe, such as any coach, trainer, support staff, etc; who obviously aren't all at their physical peak.

Yeah.... "wake me up" when Andy Reid dies because asymptomatic players spread it to a coach who -- wild guess -- could have underlying conditions and be in a sub-optimal age group. :rolleyes:

Even after 1 death, it'll "only" be 1 death. People were already scoffing because there aren't a million deaths.

Mecca
07-27-2020, 03:30 PM
Even after 1 death, it'll "only" be 1 death. People were already scoffing because there aren't a million deaths.

Yea 1 death would basically cause a ton of unrest from players, I would assume most all players in every sport would then refuse to play because there is no way to be safe at that point.

KCUnited
07-27-2020, 03:41 PM
Pepperidge Farms remembers when we stopped practicing in the heat after Korey Stringer

Mecca
07-27-2020, 03:43 PM
Pepperidge Farms remembers when we stopped practicing in the heat after Korey Stringer

That certainly changed a lot of things though, now even at my kids practices they take water breaks, they practice inside for part of it if it's really hot and they don't do anything in the middle of the day.

Rams Fan
07-27-2020, 03:50 PM

People can still catch COVID from asymptomatic cases and have very strong health consequences as a result (see what tk shared below and look at what happened to Freddie Freeman).

TribalElder
07-27-2020, 04:07 PM
https://www.trbimg.com/img-5b230892/turbine/fl-sb-marlins-man-embezzlement-20180614

Megatron96
07-27-2020, 04:38 PM
It's surprising that they'd find this 'outbreak' of cases for a single team in the MLB, but the entire NHL was tested just a few days ago and NONE of them came up positive. And hockey is a much more 'crowded' sport than baseball. What are MLBers doing so wrong I wonder?

Bearcat
07-27-2020, 04:41 PM
It's surprising that they'd find this 'outbreak' of cases for a single team in the MLB, but the entire NHL was tested just a few days ago and NONE of them came up positive. And hockey is a much more 'crowded' sport than baseball. What are MLBers doing so wrong I wonder?

Hockey isn't scheduled for exhibition games until tomorrow... teams have been scrimmaging in their home arenas for the past week or two, and they're all just now converging in Edmonton and Toronto this week.

Megatron96
07-27-2020, 04:44 PM
Hockey isn't scheduled for exhibition games until tomorrow... teams have been scrimmaging in their home arenas for the past week or two, and they're all just now converging in Edmonton and Toronto this week.

Oh, I know that hockey's a bit behind scheduling-wise. But they've been practicing right? Possibly there's been some contact? Plus the usual sweating, spitting, scratching, coughing that goes on during any hockey practice.

DaFace
07-27-2020, 04:44 PM

Are you confused about what an outbreak is? It only takes one infection, so it's not like MLB is way worse - they're just the first.

Mecca
07-27-2020, 04:50 PM

There are far less positive people in Canada...

Megatron96
07-27-2020, 04:52 PM
Are you confused about what an outbreak is? It only takes one infection, so it's not like MLB is way worse - they're just the first.

No, I don't think I am.

Seriously, no one thinks it's just a little odd that ONE team in the MLB comes up with 14+ cases of the virus, while there's NONE in the NHL? Not one player in the entire league? Even the NFL has had a few cases I believe, and the NFL is just getting things started practice-wise.

I just think it's interesting. Not saying or implying anything about it, Daface. Just think it's kind of strange.

DaFace
07-27-2020, 04:57 PM
No, I don't think I am.

Seriously, no one thinks it's just a little odd that ONE team in the MLB comes up with 14+ cases of the virus, while there's NONE in the NHL? Not one player in the entire league? Even the NFL has had a few cases I believe, and the NFL is just getting things started practice-wise.

I just think it's interesting. Not saying or implying anything about it, Daface. Just think it's kind of strange.

Guess I don't know what to tell you. If you're focused on 14 cases instead of 1 outbreak, you aren't looking at it right.

TwistedChief
07-27-2020, 05:01 PM

Oh my. And these are the fans who are probably complaining about overpaid athletes not doing their part to help restart the economy like the essential workers at Walmart.

Bearcat
07-27-2020, 05:01 PM
No, I don't think I am.

The NHL has seen ~45 cases, just not in the past few weeks.... I believe the majority of those were in early June. They may have benefited from many players going home to Canada and other countries, too.

I'm a little surprised by zero cases with the latest testing, but there's currently no travel and frequent testing.

I do think the NHL has a better plan overall, with the lack of travel and their 'bubble' plan in Edmonton and Toronto. Time will tell though.

Megatron96
07-27-2020, 05:02 PM
The NHL has seen ~45 cases, just not in the past few weeks.... I believe the majority of those were in early June. They may have benefited from many players going home to Canada and other countries, too.

I'm a little surprised by zero cases with the latest testing, but there's currently no travel and frequent testing.

I do think the NHL has a better plan overall, with the lack of travel and their 'bubble' plan in Edmonton and Toronto. Time will tell though.

Ah, okay I didn't know that the NHL already had 45 cases. That changes things.

TwistedChief
07-27-2020, 05:03 PM
No, I don't think I am.

No. When people are living a clustered and separate existence, genuinely trying to distance, this is usually how it would happen.

KCUnited
07-27-2020, 05:15 PM
Tonight’s White Sox game was postponed due to rain but manager Rick Renteria would’ve been held out after waking up with a cough and congestion.

tk13
07-27-2020, 05:15 PM
The MLB didn't start having these problems until teams started traveling. It's not that hard to figure. NHL isn't going to have that problem since nobody has to travel.

Plus, and this is sarcasm and probably sounds horrible, but the large majority of NHL players aren't American, so with the way things have gone their players are probably more likely to take it seriously as opposed to "Hoax! It's a cold!"

chiefzilla1501
07-27-2020, 05:17 PM

NHL has a better plan because it is A plan. Manfred doesn't have one. I seriously have no idea how he still has a job. Other leagues have handled this pretty well. Manfred has been a disaster. It's not just about Manfred not agreeing to a bubble plan. It's not just about the strict curfew stuff other leagues are doing (check out JR smith's rant to get a better idea). The worst part is that after 14 marlins got infected the mlb seemed totally lost. Not sure why they played the Phillies yesterday. Even worse, if you know the Phillies play the marlins, why wouldn't you notify the Yankees immediately? They had one day to react and everyone seemed completely lost.

This guy is a terrible commissioner.

Chief Pagan
07-27-2020, 05:20 PM

One death is a tragedy,
A million deaths is a statistic.

-Stalin

Ocotillo
07-27-2020, 05:26 PM
What's being overlooked here is the chance to see Sixto Sanchez, Jazz Chisholm and Monte Harrison in the majors soon.

kstater
07-27-2020, 05:33 PM
It's dumbfounding to me they had 4 positive tests yesterday, and left it to a players meeting to decide whether to play or not.

TwistedChief
07-27-2020, 05:44 PM
Yup, this is it for me.

Putting aside the fact that a bout of genuinely bad statistical luck could result in 14 infections from the Marlins, the fact that their shortstop - the unofficial team captain - was the one who decided the game should be played via a team group text chat is a comical nightmare.

There should be no more proof needed that the MLB safety protocols are an epic, fucking joke.

Megatron96
07-27-2020, 05:46 PM
It's dumbfounding to me they had 4 positive tests yesterday, and left it to a players meeting to decide whether to play or not.

Yup, this is it for me.

Putting aside the fact that a bout of genuinely bad statistical luck could result in 14 infections from the Marlins, the fact that their shortstop - the unofficial team captain - was the one who decided the game should be played via a team group text chat is a comical nightmare.

There should be no more proof needed that the MLB safety protocols are an epic, ****ing joke.

So there are other people that think something's not right with how the MLB is handling things . . . thought I was a unicorn for a second.

Megatron96
07-27-2020, 05:47 PM
'unique' ffs. autocorrect strikes again.

TwistedChief
07-27-2020, 05:50 PM
So there are other people that think something's not right with how the MLB is handling things . . . thought I was a unicorn for a second.

I’m thinking incompetence rather than conspiracy.

Megatron96
07-27-2020, 05:52 PM
I’m thinking incompetence rather than conspiracy.

Oh, I'd probably agree with that. I never thought conspiracy for a second.

wazu
07-27-2020, 05:52 PM
The Royals seem to have cancelled playing baseball tonight as well.

displacedinMN
07-27-2020, 06:12 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">MLB Announces Players Will Now Be Quarantined For 14 Days Between Bases <a href="https://t.co/dubtOKuF9m">https://t.co/dubtOKuF9m</a> <a href="https://t.co/8WJduoeUmD">pic.twitter.com/8WJduoeUmD</a></p>&mdash; The Onion (@TheOnion) <a href="https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1287892281748525060?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 27, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

MahiMike
07-27-2020, 06:21 PM
They should just let all the players get it and not tell anyone until the season's over.

Surprise! No one died!

ThyKingdomCome15
07-27-2020, 06:48 PM
None of them will die. All is well.

FloridaMan88
07-27-2020, 06:50 PM
Plus, and this is sarcasm and probably sounds horrible, but the large majority of NHL players aren't American, so with the way things have gone their players are probably more likely to take it seriously as opposed to "Hoax! It's a cold!"

60%+ of the Marlins 40 man roster are not from America.

chiefzilla1501
07-27-2020, 07:26 PM

Manfred is in way over his head. It's incompetence. Should have been obvious with the epically disastrous way he handled even negotiating the season. Pretty sad to have these issues in the sport where safe play should be really damn easy.

BigRedChief
07-27-2020, 07:39 PM
Ah, okay I didn't know that the NHL already had 45 cases. That changes things.There isn’t a single team in any sport that hasn’t had a positive covid test.

That fact is just not the players, it includes support staff, coaches etc. But, those people are getting tested because they have direct contact with players.

BigRedChief
07-27-2020, 07:43 PM
Yup, this is it for me.

There should be no more proof needed that the MLB safety protocols are an epic, ****ing joke.
Wait? What! That’s been confirmed?:shake:

DaneMcCloud
07-27-2020, 07:54 PM
Manfred is in way over his head. It's incompetence. Should have been obvious with the epically disastrous way he handled even negotiating the season. Pretty sad to have these issues in the sport where safe play should be really damn easy.

Manfred should have been fired the second after he failed to ban Astros and Red Sox players and managers for life due to their roles in the video/sign stealing travesty that led to two World Series Championships*.

Manfred is the worst commissioner in all of sports and maybe of all time, so it’s no surprise he fucked this up, too.

tk13
07-27-2020, 07:55 PM
60%+ of the Marlins 40 man roster are not from America.

It was sarcasm. Maybe you should go back to complaining that this is no big deal because it's killed less people than H1N1.

chiefzilla1501
07-27-2020, 07:58 PM
Manfred should have been fired the second after he failed to ban Astros and Red Sox players and managers for life due to their roles in the video/sign stealing travesty that led to two World Series Championships*.

Manfred is the worst commissioner in all of sports and maybe of all time, so it’s no surprise he ****ed this up, too.

Ha, and then there's that too. Total disaster.

jerryaldini
07-27-2020, 08:01 PM
Does anybody know why the idea of having bubbles in AZ and TX was abandoned? Due to the cases there, or players not wanting to be in the bubble? This seemed like the only viable option. Doing normal travel seems crazy. Great to see the Singer and Griffin debuts. Too bad it's about to end.

BWillie
07-27-2020, 08:01 PM

Manfred is the worst commissioner in all of sports and maybe of all time, so it’s no surprise he ****ed this up, too.

Don't forget the juiced ball. He effectively ended any hope for Royals-like teams who focused on fly ball starting pitching, contact hitting, and elite speedy outfield defense. He took over MLB and was like, nope. Only dingers and strikeouts will be allowed. And then we will deny we knowingly juiced the ball. Then once we find out the ball is juiced, we will keep allowing it to stay juiced and not change the manufacturing process that caused it.

FloridaMan88
07-27-2020, 08:32 PM
It was sarcasm. Maybe you should go back to complaining that this is no big deal because it's killed less people than H1N1.

You are the hysterical dumbshit who has been babbling for the past three months that it would be unlikely for football to return.

FloridaMan88
07-27-2020, 08:33 PM
Does anybody know why the idea of having bubbles in AZ and TX was abandoned? Due to the cases there, or players not wanting to be in the bubble? This seemed like the only viable option. Doing normal travel seems crazy. Great to see the Singer and Griffin debuts. Too bad it's about to end.

The players were against it.

tk13
07-27-2020, 08:38 PM
You are the hysterical dumbshit who has been babbling for the past three months that it would be unlikely for football to return.

That's not even remotely true. I've been pretty much dead on since March while you're part of the merry band of stupid people who keep trying to downplay something that's killed 150,000 people and now you look like fools.

I've said football is going to have a hard time because it's the sport that has the most contact. It's going to have challenges the other sports won't have. Lot of contact, big rosters, players who are probably slightly more at risk, etc. Plus a fair number of old coaches who will be at risk. I never said it was unlikely to return. I think it's going to go forward. There's too much money involved. They're just going to have to be militant about keeping track of everyone.

chiefzilla1501
07-27-2020, 09:08 PM
That's not even remotely true. I've been pretty much dead on since March while you're part of the merry band of stupid people who keep trying to downplay something that's killed 150,000 people and now you look like fools.

I've said football is going to have a hard time because it's the sport that has the most contact. It's going to have challenges the other sports won't have. Lot of contact, big rosters, players who are probably slightly more at risk, etc. Plus a fair number of old coaches who will be at risk. I never said it was unlikely to return. I think it's going to go forward. There's too much money involved. They're just going to have to be militant about keeping track of everyone.

I think most leagues that have a plan are doing fine. Korean baseball, soccer, MLS... They've been fine. Nba and NHL will probably be fine. The MLB might be the only league that didn't even try to figure this thing out. One of the sports with the least amount of contact yet still managing to **** things up.

BigRedChief
07-27-2020, 09:53 PM
The players were against it.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">MLB and the players&#39; union made the mutual decision to try to play a season this year, and those two entities share the ethical responsibility of pausing, postponing or cancelling if that&#39;s what is in the best interests of players and staffers. The Marlins&#39; situation tests this.</p>&mdash; Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/1287721528403079168?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 27, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

suzzer99
07-27-2020, 11:49 PM
I think most leagues that have a plan are doing fine. Korean baseball, soccer, MLS... They've been fine. Nba and NHL will probably be fine. The MLB might be the only league that didn't even try to figure this thing out. One of the sports with the least amount of contact yet still managing to **** things up.

That is the hope - that the NFL has their shit together a lot more than baseball. No dugouts might help a little as well. And mainly they'll get a few months to see all the ways that MLB screws it up, to know what not to do.

FloridaMan88
07-28-2020, 07:09 AM
That is the hope - that the NFL has their shit together a lot more than baseball. No dugouts might help a little as well. And mainly they'll get a few months to see all the ways that MLB screws it up, to know what not to do.

The NFL and NFLPA have already addressed the biggest threat of virus spread, which is activities players engage in off the field and outside of the team facilities.

Players are banned from very specific activities (i.e. attending an indoor church service that is above 25% regular capacity, etc.) and they can get fined or lose game checks if they don't follow the rules.

Baseball doesn't seem to have any accountability measures in place to punish players who don't adhere to protocols.

FloridaMan88
07-28-2020, 07:11 AM
I've been pretty much dead wrong since March while you're part of the merry band of stupid people who keep trying to downplay something that's killed 150,000 people and now you look like fools.

FYP.

Marcellus
07-28-2020, 07:21 AM
The MLB didn't start having these problems until teams started traveling. It's not that hard to figure. NHL isn't going to have that problem since nobody has to travel.

Neither are the majority of MLB positives so.....

Mecca
07-28-2020, 07:23 AM
FYP.

Yea TK is about the most rational thought out poster on the entire site, you acting like you are more knowledgeable about anything than he is is pretty fucking funny.

BWillie
07-28-2020, 09:05 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">MLB and the players&#39; union made the mutual decision to try to play a season this year, and those two entities share the ethical responsibility of pausing, postponing or cancelling if that&#39;s what is in the best interests of players and staffers. The Marlins&#39; situation tests this.</p>&mdash; Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/1287721528403079168?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 27, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I don't agree in the ethical thing. If you want ethical, what about the minimum wage mother****ers working at the grocery store. Do you think all of their employees (let alone the customers) get tested everyday? Absolutely not. I feel THEIR pain.

Any sports league or business that tests people daily or every other day is really acting super ethically because EVERY case of Coronavirus will be known and then that person will go into protocols to quarantine.

There are people out there running around that work for Aldis, that have had this, recovered from it, and gave it to tons of people and didn't even know it. Much more difficult to do in NFL, MLB, NBA.

Also, NFL gives their employees a choice. You can sit out, still get your salary next year AND a 150k a year stipend. So I fail to see the ethical dilemma here. Save the ethics part for our low wage workers who have no choice but to work with this risk - ESPECIALLY our older population of workers.

tk13
07-28-2020, 09:28 AM
FYP.

Yeah I haven't really been wrong about anything, especially compared to your repeated terrible predictions, but good luck with that.

Pasta Little Brioni
07-28-2020, 09:58 AM
I don't agree in the ethical thing. If you want ethical, what about the minimum wage mother****ers working at the grocery store. Do you think all of their employees (let alone the customers) get tested everyday? Absolutely not. I feel THEIR pain.

Any sports league or business that tests people daily or every other day is really acting super ethically because EVERY case of Coronavirus will be known and then that person will go into protocols to quarantine.

There are people out there running around that work for Aldis, that have had this, recovered from it, and gave it to tons of people and didn't even know it. Much more difficult to do in NFL, MLB, NBA.

Also, NFL gives their employees a choice. You can sit out, still get your salary next year AND a 150k a year stipend. So I fail to see the ethical dilemma here. Save the ethics part for our low wage workers who have no choice but to work with this risk - ESPECIALLY our older population of workers.

Spot fucking on

Hoover
07-28-2020, 10:00 AM

Great post.

tk13
07-28-2020, 10:03 AM
As for the Marlins, they might have a lot of games to make up at this point. Not totally sure what the answer is here.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">With the new positives, 15 Marlins players are now positive for Covid — half the team. Lot of doubt now they’ll be able to field a team for games at Baltimore tomorrow and Thursday.</p>&mdash; Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) <a href="https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1288141896427155456?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 28, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

tk13
07-28-2020, 10:06 AM
And just a couple minutes later, this. It's coming in fast now.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">In team vote, vast majority of Nationals players voted against going to Miami for three-game series this weekend, sources tell The Athletic. Decision will rest with MLB.</p>&mdash; Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1288142815696957441?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 28, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Mecca
07-28-2020, 10:10 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">In team vote, vast majority of Nationals players voted against going to Miami for three-game series this weekend, sources tell The Athletic. Decision will rest with MLB.</p>&mdash; Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1288142815696957441?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 28, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Not surprised, why would anyone wanna deal with that?

Mecca
07-28-2020, 10:13 AM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EeBnNO8XYAE4q3P?format=jpg&name=900x900

BWillie
07-28-2020, 10:15 AM
Not surprised, why would anyone wanna deal with that?

As an opposing player, I would have little concern playing the game.

As a player on a team that had reported recent Covid cases, I wouldn't even want to practice or play, though.