PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Renaming the Chiefs: Round 3, Heat 1

Rain Man
07-29-2020, 11:46 AM
Two names enter, one name leaves. We've got 16 candidates remaining from Round 2 seeded based on their initial scoring.

I'll present them in sets of two heats. Vote for ONE name from EACH pair.

Rain Man
07-29-2020, 11:55 AM
My votes are below.

Commanders over Kings. No gender bias in this guy. Nuh-uh. No gender bias. I'll go for the neutral name.

Stampede over Twisters. I like both of these names a lot, and I think they both evoke images of Kansas City. I'll take Stampede by a narrow margin just because Twisters sometimes makes me think of people playing a 1960s party game or women in gogo skirts doing a 1960s dance. I like both of those images a lot, but they're distracting.

Archers over Destroyers. I'm a big fan of the Archers name from a logo continuity standpoint. Destroyers is fun but random.

Wolves over Scouts. I actually think that Scouts is a better name, and I'm not a big fan of the Wolves name. But realistically we can't use Scouts, so I'll go with the big furry dog.

luv
07-29-2020, 11:57 AM
Isn't there a hockey team called the Kings?

Rain Man
07-29-2020, 12:00 PM

And a basketball team as well. People are always stealing the reflected power and glory of our despots.

DaFace
07-29-2020, 12:00 PM

Yeah, but that's not a complete dealbreaker. There's certainly precedent for the same name in different leagues (even the same city in the case of the Cardinals).

luv
07-29-2020, 12:01 PM
My votes are below.

Commanders over Kings. No gender bias in this guy. Nuh-uh. No gender bias. I'll go for the neutral name.

Stampede over Twisters. I like both of these names a lot, and I think they both evoke images of Kansas City. I'll take Stampede by a narrow margin just because Twisters sometimes makes me think of people playing a 1960s party game or women in gogo skirts doing a 1960s dance. I like both of those images a lot, but they're distracting.

Archers over Destroyers. I'm a big fan of the Archers name from a logo continuity standpoint. Destroyers is fun but random.

Wolves over Scouts. I actually think that Scouts is a better name, and I'm not a big fan of the Wolves name. But realistically we can't use Scouts, so I'll go with the big furry dog.

My votes as well.

Commanders. There's already a professional athletic team called the Kings.

Stampede. Just sounds better.

Archers. Destroyers? Sounds like a Mighty Mites name. I also liked the continuity of the logo.

Wolves. Scouts? Like Boy Scouts?

oldman
07-29-2020, 12:06 PM
Can we just leave the Chiefs name alone?

luv
07-29-2020, 12:08 PM
Yeah, but that's not a complete dealbreaker. There's certainly precedent for the same name in different leagues (even the same city in the case of the Cardinals).

Oh yeah. I guess St. Louis had to differentiate between the baseball and football Cardinals at one time. Still, I want a name that's our own. :)

Rain Man
07-29-2020, 12:11 PM
Can we just leave the Chiefs name alone?

In this hypothetical situation, President Ted Nugent says that it's Sports Czar Elizabeth Warren's call. She says the name must be changed because it's unacceptable to claim Native American culture if you're not Native American.

KurtCobain
07-29-2020, 12:13 PM
Damn you, you put scouts and wolves against each other already?

Rain Man
07-29-2020, 12:15 PM
Damn you, you put scouts and wolves against each other already?

The cold hard science of poll seeding kowtows to no one.

Bearcat
07-29-2020, 12:44 PM
Scouts? Like Boy Scouts?

No, like... uh, a Sioux Indian.

(the KC Scouts of the NHL were named after the Scout statue, which depicts a Sioux Indian)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/74/Kansas_City_Scouts_logo.svg/1200px-Kansas_City_Scouts_logo.svg.png

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fd/KC_Scout.jpg/1280px-KC_Scout.jpg

ThaVirus
07-29-2020, 01:00 PM
Wolves is troubling for me.

On one hand, I love wolves. They're some of my favorite animals. Plus we've got the wolf mascot already and going from a kingdom to a wolfpack isn't so bad (I've never really been a fan of Chiefs kingdom).

On the other hand, Wolves by itself just doesn't have any magic to it. The Kansas City Wolves. Meh. I'd prefer a little more flair like Red Wolves, Timberwolves or Direwolves.

Rain Man
07-30-2020, 11:36 AM
Wolves is troubling for me.

On one hand, I love wolves. They're some of my favorite animals. Plus we've got the wolf mascot already and going from a kingdom to a wolfpack isn't so bad (I've never really been a fan of Chiefs kingdom).

On the other hand, Wolves by itself just doesn't have any magic to it. The Kansas City Wolves. Meh. I'd prefer a little more flair like Red Wolves, Timberwolves or Direwolves.

I appreciate the reference to dire wolves. They should get more attention.

I'm the same way on wolves as a name. I'm not feeling it.

Now, Stampede? That's a great name. I can imagine being at a game where 80,000 people all yell, "Stampeeeeeede!" and then start running in place. That's a crowd phenomenon that I could really get behind.

Rain Man
07-31-2020, 10:18 AM
Kings, Stampede, Archers, and Wolves move on to the Elite Eight.

Graystoke
07-31-2020, 10:36 AM
Kings, Stampede, Archers, and Wolves move on to the Elite Eight.

Hoping Archers win it all!

Rain Man
07-31-2020, 10:45 AM
Hoping Archers win it all!

I like Archers a lot, and I could also be really happy with Stampede. Both of them are original names that could do well.

I initially thought that Calgary had the Stampede name, but finally looked them up and they're the Stampeders, which isn't nearly as cool as Stampede. Plus, their logo is a horse. A horse stampeder isn't scary, but a cattle stampede is terrifying. (I presume it is; I've never been in one.)