PDA

View Full Version : Electronics An odd question for the tech folks out there

Fat Elvis
07-29-2020, 08:39 PM
Bear with me on this rather strange question, but: Can you set up wifi without connecting to the internet so that devices can "communicate" with each other in a household if there is no current internet access? For example, if you use a wifi router, can a wifi enabled phone communicate with a wifi enabled TV?

Thanks

Jewish Rabbi
07-29-2020, 08:49 PM
Yes.

Mephistopheles Janx
07-29-2020, 08:50 PM
Bear with me on this rather strange question, but: Can you set up wifi without connecting to the internet so that devices can "communicate" with each other in a household if there is no current internet access? For example, if you use a wifi router, can a wifi enabled phone communicate with a wifi enabled TV?

Thanks

Absolutely... you are simply creating an internal network. From there you can share data (folders or entire drives) between any computer connected to that network.

Mecca
07-29-2020, 08:52 PM
Yes you can do that, it's basically a home network that the devices share their info with each other on.

TribalElder
07-29-2020, 08:53 PM
problem is most of the technology now is super shitty and will require internet access to actually function so although you can network them together they might not be able to work as you are intending, just be aware of that shitty limitation

htismaqe
07-29-2020, 08:56 PM
problem is most of the technology now is super shitty and will require internet access to actually function so although you can network them together they might not be able to work as you are intending, just be aware of that shitty limitation

This. The days of standalone secure routers are largely past. Most of the new wiz bang routers use “cloud technology” and require internet connectivity just to set them up.

Probably best to go back a couple generations and get an AC1200 or something without “cloud”.

ptlyon
07-29-2020, 08:56 PM
Better question. Where's the picture of your wife?

Fat Elvis
07-29-2020, 09:11 PM

This. The days of standalone secure routers are largely past. Most of the new wiz bang routers use “cloud technology” and require internet connectivity just to set them up.

Probably best to go back a couple generations and get an AC1200 or something without “cloud”.

I really appreciate everyone's feedback. We're trying to solve a problem for people with disabilities that don't have internet access or connectivity. It looks like the most affordable solution is using a smartphone, but for some folks, the display may be too small so we were wanting to mirror it on a TV if at all possible. TVs (and phones) these days require wifi access to mirror what is on a smart phone screen rather than using a cable. I just wanted to make sure that we could use a (cheap) wifi router to allow the two devices to communicate with each other and mirror the image on the phone to the TV.

displacedinMN
07-29-2020, 09:16 PM

Probably best to go back a couple generations and get an AC1200 or something without “cloud”.I may have an ac1200 here. I will check tomorrow

BWillie
10-25-2020, 09:20 PM
Anyone have advice for a quality used router for no more than $100? Im currently renting one for 4.99 a month from Spectrum. Im new to Spectrum and am basically trying them out to use with my Skytrak golf simulator.

The issue with Spectrum is their router is meant to be idiot-proof and it allegedly broadcasts a 2.4 Ghz and 5ghz simultaneously. When you look to connect to the router it will show only one wifi connection and there is no way to create a guest network per Spectrum. My Skytrak can ONLY connect via 2.4ghz and it will NOT find the Spectrum connection only my slow ATT one. The golf simulator works terribly with my slow ATT connection so Ive been using my cell phone hotspot but I run out of data.

So Im looking to buy a router to set up a 2.4 ghz connection then return the Spectrum rented one.

Fish
10-25-2020, 09:34 PM
Used router? LMAO

Not familiar with Spectrum's equipment, but generally all routers offer the ability to turn off either the 2.4 or 5 band, or give them separate names. You likely just need to log into your existing router and change it.

That said, I'm kinda confused on WTF you're talking about with your setup. What's your "Slow ATT one?" Do you have 2 ISPs?

Also, if your golf simulator is having issue with your Spectrum's 2.4Ghz band, then a different router's 2.4Ghz band likely isn't going to change anything much. Is your golf simulator incapable of connecting to 5Ghz band? Do you have the option of running an ethernet cable to it?

If all you're wanting is a router capable of 2.4, then you can find a bunch of new ones for well under $50. You don't need to pay $100 for a 2.4Ghz router.

BWillie
10-25-2020, 11:23 PM
Used router? LMAO

Not familiar with Spectrum's equipment, but generally all routers offer the ability to turn off either the 2.4 or 5 band, or give them separate names. You likely just need to log into your existing router and change it.

That said, I'm kinda confused on WTF you're talking about with your setup. What's your "Slow ATT one?" Do you have 2 ISPs?

Also, if your golf simulator is having issue with your Spectrum's 2.4Ghz band, then a different router's 2.4Ghz band likely isn't going to change anything much. Is your golf simulator incapable of connecting to 5Ghz band? Do you have the option of running an ethernet cable to it?

If all you're wanting is a router capable of 2.4, then you can find a bunch of new ones for well under $50. You don't need to pay $100 for a 2.4Ghz router.

You cannot give each separate names. Spectrum has even indicated this to me three different times and its a somewhat common issue with customers having issues wirh 2.4ghz only devices. You can log onto the router and I have but I can only change the name of the wifi and password.

I do have two ISPs right now. Im going to eventually cancel ATT and go to Spectrum due to value, speed and latency. The ATT is only 25mbps while I can get 400 mbps and much better latency using Spectrum.

My golf simulator cannot connect to 5.0 ghz. I cannot connect it via ethernet. I have been able to get it to connect to other 2.4ghz networks no problem but the Spectrum wifi doesn't even show up on the Golf Simulator. It shows up on every single device I have.

I mentioned used because I want to get a good one and a used one of higher value. Since I also play online poker reliability and latency are important.

htismaqe
10-25-2020, 11:28 PM
You cannot give each separate names. Spectrum has even indicated this to me three different times and its a somewhat common issue with customers having issues wirh 2.4ghz only devices. You can log onto the router and I have but I can only change the name of the wifi and password.

I do have two ISPs right now. Im going to eventually cancel ATT and go to Spectrum due to value, speed and latency. The ATT is only 25mbps while I can get 400 mbps and much better latency using Spectrum.

My golf simulator cannot connect to 5.0 ghz. I cannot connect it via ethernet. I have been able to get it to connect to other 2.4ghz networks no problem but the Spectrum wifi doesn't even show up on the Golf Simulator. It shows up on every single device I have.

I mentioned used because I want to get a good one and a used one of higher value. Since I also play online poker reliability and latency are important.

Spectrum is selling you bullshit.

They've somehow setup their gear to only allow you to set a single SSID for both bands.

Pretty much every consumer router allows you to set both bands to the same SSID or to two different ones.

Not sure why you'd be having issues with 2.4Ghz devices just because you have the same SSID on both bands though. Highly unlikely that's the cause, just so you know.

As buying a router, there's great routers out there that are dual band for under $50 brand new. Not sure why you'd buy a used one.

Fish
10-25-2020, 11:30 PM
Spectrum is likely bullshitting you. Regardless... Drive to Micro Center, and get this: https://www.microcenter.com/product/618364/asus-rt-ac1200_v2-ac1200-dual-band-wireless-ac-router-w--parental-control

Buehler445
10-25-2020, 11:32 PM
Typically routers aren’t the problem. However I did have a router that was only 2.4 and if I used Bluetooth it nuked it. If I were you I’d just go to staples or whatever and get a Dual band router.

If you’re worried about latency I’d just hardwire when you play poker.

Hell if you want I’ve got one new in the box I’d send you that is dual band.

BWillie
10-25-2020, 11:34 PM
Spectrum is selling you bullshit.

They've somehow setup their gear to only allow you to set a single SSID for both bands.

Pretty much every consumer router allows you to set both bands to the same SSID or to two different ones.

Not sure why you'd be having issues with 2.4Ghz devices just because you have the same SSID on both bands though. Highly unlikely that's the cause, just so you know.

As buying a router, there's great routers out there that are dual band for under $50 brand new. Not sure why you'd buy a used one.

I guess I didn't realize good ones were so cheap. Six years ago I recall looking at some and they seemed to be $225 for good ones - or so the salesman said.

htismaqe
10-25-2020, 11:36 PM
Spectrum is likely bullshitting you. Regardless... Drive to Micro Center, and get this: https://www.microcenter.com/product/618364/asus-rt-ac1200_v2-ac1200-dual-band-wireless-ac-router-w--parental-control

Good choice. I use Asus. :thumb:

htismaqe
10-25-2020, 11:37 PM
Typically routers aren’t the problem. However I did have a router that was only 2.4 and if I used Bluetooth it nuked it. If I were you I’d just go to staples or whatever and get a Dual band router.

Bluetooth and 2.4Ghz wifi shouldn't interfere but they do run close to each other in the frequency spectrum.

FTR, USB 3.0 interferes directly with Bluetooth. Make sure you buy good cables.

Fish
10-25-2020, 11:39 PM
Good choice. I use Asus. :thumb:

Using Asus mobo and GPU at the moment. Good stuff. :thumb:

Fish
10-25-2020, 11:42 PM
I guess I didn't realize good ones were so cheap. Six years ago I recall looking at some and they seemed to be $225 for good ones - or so the salesman said.

Honestly, I would be looking at better ways to connect your golf sim than 2.4. Again, does it accept ethernet? If so, you'd be much better inclined to buy a 100' ethernet cable instead of a better router. Probably cheaper.

BWillie
10-25-2020, 11:50 PM

The only place where the Spectrum internet comes into the house is upstairs. I play poker in my mancave in the basement.

QUOTE=Fish;15276607]Honestly, I would be looking at better ways to connect your golf sim than 2.4. Again, does it accept ethernet? If so, you'd be much better inclined to buy a 100' ethernet cable instead of a better router. Probably cheaper.[/QUOTE]

This blew my mind but ppl have better results using Skytrak on Network mode than on USB mode. And my setup is not in a position to run a long ethernet cord. The Skytrak golf sim unit itself cannot connect to ethernet but can connect via USB to the laptop or gaming PC thats using ethernet.

htismaqe
10-26-2020, 08:11 AM
The only place where the Spectrum internet comes into the house is upstairs. I play poker in my mancave in the basement.

This blew my mind but ppl have better results using Skytrak on Network mode than on USB mode. And my setup is not in a position to run a long ethernet cord. The Skytrak golf sim unit itself cannot connect to ethernet but can connect via USB to the laptop or gaming PC thats using ethernet.

How old is the wiring in your house? You might consider running some ethernet over power adapters. Not nearly as fast as a straight ethernet cable but way faster than wireless for the backhaul.

Then put your router on the end of that, connect your sim to the 2.4 and run your poker machine wired into the router.

EDIT: This would allow you to turn the 2.4Ghz transmit power way down to avoid interference and only connect your sim.

Mecca
10-26-2020, 08:38 AM
You could just get a wifi extender there are some really good ones on the market today.

crayzkirk
10-26-2020, 08:42 AM
I have Spectrum and I purchased my own WIFI Router because I don't want my internet being used as an access point for Spectrum. You can put the modem/router into bypass mode (modem only) and then use your own router. Be sure to disable the WIFI on the Spectrum modem/router. Be aware that at times Spectrum will update the software and re-enable the WIFI. I got a dual band high power router for < $100.

My girlfriend has Spectrum as well and uses the provided modem/router, the 2.4 and 5g bands have different names. You can logon to the router and change the settings by plugging a cat5 cable into your computer and then into one of the switched ports on the back. The password will be on the tag provided with your modem. Change the default network ID and Password and change the logon password to the modem/router.

crayzkirk
10-26-2020, 08:45 AM
You could just get a wifi extender there are some really good ones on the market today.

My own opinion of extenders is that they suck up the bandwidth because they are always polling the router. Running cat5 cables in your home and adding a second access point will give you much better results.

htismaqe
10-26-2020, 08:45 AM

Bad idea for a couple of reasons.

1. Adding additional 2.4Ghz radios is going to increase congestion and probably ruin his networking stability.

2. Extenders actually halve the bandwidth between the AP and the extender unless they're dual-band and then you have to explicitly set it up to use one band for extension and one for backhaul.

The only time it's really a good idea to extend your network via wireless is if you're using a mesh setup because those systems are designed correctly to not impact network performance on the backhaul.

Mecca
10-26-2020, 08:50 AM
Bad idea for a couple of reasons.

1. Adding additional 2.4Ghz radios is going to increase congestion and probably ruin his networking stability.

2. Extenders actually halve the bandwidth between the AP and the extender unless they're dual-band and then you have to explicitly set it up to use one band for extension and one for backhaul.

The only time it's really a good idea to extend your network via wireless is if you're using a mesh setup because those systems are designed correctly to not impact network performance on the backhaul.

That's a decent point, I didn't really take the time to read about his exact issue I just saw he was having speed and connection issues.

I think someone probably should have told him locating your modem/router in the upstairs of the house when you have 3 floors is a bad idea, you literally want it centrally located man.

htismaqe
10-26-2020, 09:18 AM
That's a decent point, I didn't really take the time to read about his exact issue I just saw he was having speed and connection issues.

I think someone probably should have told him locating your modem/router in the upstairs of the house when you have 3 floors is a bad idea, you literally want it centrally located man.

Yep. As close to center as possible.

BWillie
10-26-2020, 09:48 AM
I have Spectrum and I purchased my own WIFI Router because I don't want my internet being used as an access point for Spectrum. You can put the modem/router into bypass mode (modem only) and then use your own router. Be sure to disable the WIFI on the Spectrum modem/router. Be aware that at times Spectrum will update the software and re-enable the WIFI. I got a dual band high power router for < $100.

My girlfriend has Spectrum as well and uses the provided modem/router, the 2.4 and 5g bands have different names. You can logon to the router and change the settings by plugging a cat5 cable into your computer and then into one of the switched ports on the back. The password will be on the tag provided with your modem. Change the default network ID and Password and change the logon password to the modem/router.

Confused by this?

Either way thank you kings of the internet. I'm planning to buy my own router based on your recommendations, just worried the range will be too weak in the basement.

Ethernet over power never heard of it. I have alot to learn.

htismaqe
10-26-2020, 09:52 AM
Confused by this?

Either way thank you kings of the internet. I'm planning to buy my own router based on your recommendations, just worried the range will be too weak in the basement.

Ethernet over power never heard of it. I have alot to learn.

Do you have coax cable (for TV) between the two spots? You can also get ethernet over coax adapters but in general, ethernet over power is simple - just plug them into outlets and away you go.

I would definitely consider it. Not only faster but much more reliable connectivity. Wifi just isn't the same as a good wired connection.

Mecca
10-26-2020, 09:54 AM
Do you have coax cable (for TV) between the two spots? You can also get ethernet over coax adapters but in general, ethernet over power is simple - just plug them into outlets and away you go.

I would definitely consider it. Not only faster but much more reliable connectivity. Wifi just isn't the same as a good wired connection.

Or he can really splurge and just have his whole house rewired where all the outlets have ethernet plugs in them and then you just plug your router in and bam the whole house is lit up with hard wired connections!

htismaqe
10-26-2020, 09:55 AM
Or he can really splurge and just have his whole house rewired where all the outlets have ethernet plugs in them and then you just plug your router in and bam the whole house is lit up with hard wired connections!

Yeah, I'm not gonna suggest that. :)

Mecca
10-26-2020, 09:57 AM
Yeah, I'm not gonna suggest that. :)

I wish I had that...damn older houses.