PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Renaming the Chiefs: Round 3, Heat 2

Rain Man
07-30-2020, 09:37 AM
Two names enter, one name leaves. We've got 16 candidates remaining from Round 2 seeded based on their initial scoring.

I'll present them in sets of two heats. Vote for ONE name from EACH pair.

ThaVirus
07-30-2020, 09:42 AM
Monarchs and Comets are probably my two favorites in the whole tournament. Sucks that they got pitted against each other so soon.

Rain Man
07-30-2020, 09:45 AM
My votes are below.

Coyotes over Outlaws. I like the Outlaw name a lot, and I guess it can be an inclusive name. But if you shouldn't have a face or guns in your logo, I'm not sure what it would look like. I'll vote for the safe choice of Coyotes.

Knights over Pioneers. Realistically, Pioneers isn't going to fly, even though it's a great name. Knights is risky as well, but if you put a faceplate over someone you can't tell what they look like. Knights has a more realistic chance of being accepted, even though Pioneers is a better name.

Tornados over Wolfpack. Tornados is an awesome name, and it seems unique. I can't think of a major sports team with that name. Wolfpack seems like a reach given the geography.

Comets over Monarchs. I get the Monarchs thing and it's locally fitting in several good ways, but if we go with Monarchs someone will find an old newspaper article of a Monarchs player saying something misogynistic or something. Comets is an awesome name. It rolls off the tongue well and is easy to logo-ize. Monarchs is probably fine, but Comets is the way to go.

The Franchise
07-30-2020, 09:46 AM
Outlaws
Knights
Wolfpack
Monarchs

bobbything
07-30-2020, 09:46 AM
My votes are below.

Coyotes over Outlaws. I like the Outlaw name a lot, and I guess it can be an inclusive name. But if you shouldn't have a face or guns in your logo, I'm not sure what it would look like. I'll vote for the safe choice of Coyotes.

Knights over Pioneers. Realistically, Pioneers isn't going to fly, even though it's a great name. Knights is risky as well, but if you put a faceplate over someone you can't tell what they look like. Knights has a more realistic chance of being accepted, even though Pioneers is a better name.

Tornados over Wolfpack. Tornados is an awesome name, and it seems unique. I can't think of a major sports team with that name. Wolfpack seems like a reach given the geography.

Comets over Monarchs. I get the Monarchs thing, but if we go with Monarchs someone will find an old newspaper article of a Monarchs player saying something misogynistic or something. Comets is an awesome name. It rolls off the tongue well and is easy to logo-ize. Monarchs is probably fine, but Comets is the way to go.
I think, for #3, "Cyclones" would work well because of the alliteration, without losing the meaning of the name.

Rain Man
07-30-2020, 09:49 AM
I think, for #3, "Cyclones" would work well because of the alliteration, without losing the meaning of the name.

Yeah, that could've worked. Now that you mention it, I wonder if there's a team called the Dust Devils. That would be cool.

But alas, we're deep into the tournament so we can't start adding candidates.

luv
07-30-2020, 09:51 AM
Refraining from voting. Not particularly fond of any of these. Maybe Wolfpack? Already voted for Wolves, though.

Rain Man
07-30-2020, 09:54 AM
Refraining from voting. Not particularly fond of any of these. Maybe Wolfpack? Already voted for Wolves, though.

I will unofficially lobby you for Tornados and Comets. Please refer to the essay that's included in the money envelope that I just slipped under your door.

Rasputin
07-30-2020, 10:07 AM
We couldn't make fun of the thug rapist murderers robbers fans franchise named Raiders if we were the Outlaws. We don't want to be associated in them regards.

displacedinMN
07-30-2020, 10:20 AM

Cyclones with our colors is too Iowa State.

smithandrew051
07-30-2020, 10:29 AM
Monarchs is still my favorite so far.

It’s a Kansas City name through and through. Works well with the existing color scheme.

Zero chance it ever has to be changed again.

I could see some awesome montage videos of old Monarchs legends transforming into the star Chiefs players as a way to tie the past into the present. Imagine a clip of Satchel Paige throwing a pitch, but the ball slowly transforms in midair into a football and it lands in Kelce’s hands for a touch down. Mahomes uncorks a bomb that turns into a baseball and Buck O’Neil catches it at first.

ptlyon
07-30-2020, 10:30 AM
Every time I enter one of these threads a little piece of me dies

Rain Man
07-30-2020, 10:36 AM
Every time I enter one of these threads a little piece of me dies

It'll be fine. This time next year, you'll be waving your Tornados pennant emphatically and yelling "Home of the Comeeeeeeeets!"

Color Red
07-30-2020, 10:51 AM
Outlaws
Knights
Wolfpack
Monarchs

How about the "Huddle Club"? Who remembers fondly?

Rain Man
07-30-2020, 10:57 AM
Monarchs and Comets are probably my two favorites in the whole tournament. Sucks that they got pitted against each other so soon.

Monarchs is still my favorite so far.

It’s a Kansas City name through and through. Works well with the existing color scheme.

Zero chance it ever has to be changed again.

I could see some awesome montage videos of old Monarchs legends transforming into the star Chiefs players as a way to tie the past into the present. Imagine a clip of Satchel Paige throwing a pitch, but the ball slowly transforms in midair into a football and it lands in Kelce’s hands for a touch down. Mahomes uncorks a bomb that turns into a baseball and Buck O’Neil catches it at first.

I was pondering what type of logo you'd do as the Monarchs, so I went looking for the original. I don't know if this is the real one or not, but I have to say this is pretty awesome as a logo.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/LLLCxCSIeewICxU74MuZS3tyzq8uypxVS-WIKKJfcs_ow2jSpehAyAqwlvKiF-q-6B8nN3WMEFkEeNkGIEdExZl4DreqttyCrI_HjdvZXCxSgLWPOibUPtTgTRW_E264TX-cUmSVXkkzgPXshRmysqZL1oi7p41p8tsNQu-Rf3R_unNJ

DJ's left nut
07-30-2020, 11:04 AM

My first thought as well - that's a legit finals matchup.

Maybe not my 2 favorite, but easily both in my top 5.

Rough draw for the comets here (Monarchs are real likely to steamroll this whole contest).

Sofa King
07-30-2020, 11:27 AM
I voted and after I've seen the poll results I realize I picked all of the losing team names so far. People apparently just like the same old shit.

Rain Man
07-30-2020, 11:32 AM
I voted and after I've seen the poll results I realize I picked all of the losing team names so far. People apparently just like the same old shit.

Yeah, I appear to have a knack for picking the losing horses as well.

ptlyon
07-30-2020, 12:27 PM
It'll be fine. This time next year, you'll be waving your Tornados pennant emphatically and yelling "Home of the Comeeeeeeeets!"

My fucking ass I will