PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink What Are You Microwaving Tonight?

KurtCobain
08-05-2020, 10:57 PM
Just had a mean banquet chicken pot pie and now I'm tossing in a single sausage/pancake on a stick thing for dessert!

Don't be shy, share your best microwave recipes!

Bugeater
08-05-2020, 11:02 PM
Hot water

Fill coffee cup with water, microwave 60 seconds.

Rasputin
08-05-2020, 11:03 PM
Progressive soup

Mephistopheles Janx
08-05-2020, 11:04 PM
I don't own a microwave. Haven't for 3-4 years now and I don't miss it one bit.

I'm sorry I can't be of further help to you. I understand that microwave brownies are a simple and easy sweet treat though!

Mephistopheles Janx
08-05-2020, 11:06 PM
Progressive soup

http://ronsuresha.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/ProgressiveSoup-700x401.png

Bugeater
08-05-2020, 11:08 PM

I'm sorry I can't be of further help to you. I understand that microwave brownies are a simple and easy sweet treat though!So you throw everything into a regular oven to reheat it? If so, you have a level of patience I can only dream about. It's a goddamn crisis in my home when a microwave dies.

KurtCobain
08-05-2020, 11:10 PM

I'm sorry I can't be of further help to you. I understand that microwave brownies are a simple and easy sweet treat though!

Wait, if you don't own a microwave, then how do you make microwaved prison fudge?

Bugeater
08-05-2020, 11:10 PM
Chunky soup used to be really good back in the day, but the last time I had a can I was extremely disappointed at how far the quality had fallen over the years.

Mephistopheles Janx
08-05-2020, 11:13 PM
So you throw everything into a regular oven to reheat it? If so, you have a level of patience I can only dream about. It's a goddamn crisis in my home when a microwave dies.

I actually try to cook to where there are no left overs as much as possible. Almost everything we eat is freshly cooked.

For the things that are left-over. Either throw it in the oven or onto a pan on the stove-top depending what it is.

Mephistopheles Janx
08-05-2020, 11:14 PM
Wait, if you don't own a microwave, then how do you make microwaved prison fudge?

I don't have one now... but I used to make it when I did have one.

KurtCobain
08-05-2020, 11:14 PM
I don't have one now... but I used to make it when I did have one.

Ah. Okay.

Bugeater
08-05-2020, 11:16 PM
I actually try to cook to where there are no left overs as much as possible. Almost everything we eat is freshly cooked.

For the things that are left-over. Either throw it in the oven or onto a pan on the stove-top depending what it is.It's kind of tough to cook for just two people and not have leftovers. And i don't mind because then I have something for lunches other than sandwiches or fast food.

arrowheadnation
08-05-2020, 11:16 PM
Bob Evans Mashed Potatoes....just as good as home made.

KurtCobain
08-05-2020, 11:23 PM
if you want to make some really good fudge, You'll need:

A microwave
a large, clear plastic bowl
A smaller bowl
A hard plastic spoon
A bottle of Hershey's chocolate syrup
Two boxes of sugar cubes
1 jar of peanut butter
Two packages of duplex cream cookies

Mephistopheles Janx
08-05-2020, 11:23 PM
It's kind of tough to cook for just two people and not have leftovers. And i don't mind because then I have something for lunches other than sandwiches or fast food.

Two is all we've got here as well. I get it though... it takes preparation and figuring out meals ahead of time. Part of my role in this homestead is figuring that shit out and putting out a varied menu. Like, 1lb of ground beef will last us 2 to 3 meals but its all gotta get used within a week of purchase/thaw.

Today I butchered a chicken and will get 3 meals out of it. That means, though, that I am eating chicken 3 times this week. Gonna try a butter chicken curry on Friday. I'm betting I have leftovers then though it being a new dish to me and all.

I try to make dishes that are stove-top reheating friendly though to get past the microwave. TBH, what inspired this change was that I hated the consistency of a lot of the food that came out of the microwave.

Bugeater
08-05-2020, 11:26 PM
Two is all we've got here as well. I get it though... it takes preparation and figuring out meals ahead of time. Part of my role in this homestead is figuring that shit out and putting out a varied menu. Like, 1lb of ground beef will last us 2 to 3 meals but its all gotta get used within a week of purchase/thaw.

Today I butchered a chicken and will get 3 meals out of it. That means, though, that I am eating chicken 3 times this week. Gonna try a butter chicken curry on Friday. I'm betting I have leftovers then though it being a new dish to me and all.

I try to make dishes that are stove-top reheating friendly though to get past the microwave. TBH, what inspired this change was that I hated the consistency of a lot of the food that came out of the microwave.I get not cooking in a microwave. My mom used to cook hamburgers with one, she'd pull out the plate and it's sitting in a pool of grease with some kind of slime all over it and not brown at all. Completely disgusting.

But I've never noticed too much difference when reheating something.

KurtCobain
08-05-2020, 11:27 PM
I get not cooking in a microwave. My mom used to cook hamburgers with one, she'd pull out the plate and it's sitting in a pool of grease with some kind of slime all over it and not brown at all. Completely disgusting.

That actually sounds really good.

Bugeater
08-05-2020, 11:30 PM
That actually sounds really good.No, it's not. At all. If you want a hamburger fast get one of those George Foreman grills. You can cook a burger in 3 minutes and it's really good.

KurtCobain
08-05-2020, 11:32 PM
That sounds a little too healthy.

KurtCobain
08-05-2020, 11:33 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3PiRhfC9WLQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mephistopheles Janx
08-05-2020, 11:34 PM
I get not cooking in a microwave. My mom used to cook hamburgers with one, she'd pull out the plate and it's sitting in a pool of grease with some kind of slime all over it and not brown at all. Completely disgusting.

My mom cooked a salmon in the microwave once. I don't mean one of those cheap frozen fillets either. I was aghast... and I don't even eat fish.

I'm probably just over sensitive to texture in food. Even slight variations from what I'm expecting will put me off of food.

Bugeater
That sounds a little too healthy.

It doesn't have to be. We'd throw bacon straight on with them and it cooks right along with the burger. Throw it on a buttered bun and the result will take at least a couple hours off your life.

scho63
The Neighbor's Annoying Cat

Mephistopheles Janx
08-05-2020, 11:36 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3PiRhfC9WLQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You put the whole box into the microwave? What do you do when there is more than one left... is that when you use a plate?

/no judgement, I'm always looking for shortcuts

KurtCobain
08-05-2020, 11:36 PM
You put the whole box into the microwave? What do you do when there is more than one left... is that when you use a plate?

/no judgement, I'm always looking for shortcuts

Paper towel.

Bugeater
08-05-2020, 11:38 PM
My mom cooked a salmon in the microwave once. I don't mean one of those cheap frozen fillets either. I was aghast... and I don't even eat fish.

I'm probably just over sensitive to texture in food. Even slight variations from what I'm expecting will put me off of food.I am when it comes to vegetables, they cannot be frozen. That's why I hated the pot pies Joey mentioned in the other thread so much. The taste and texture of the veggies in them are just off.

KurtCobain
08-05-2020, 11:40 PM
Don't vegetables always start out as frozen?

Bugeater
08-05-2020, 11:40 PM
<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3PiRhfC9WLQ" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen="" width="560" height="315" frameborder="0"></iframe>LMAO I am intrigued and wish to subscribe to your YouTube channel.

Bugeater
08-05-2020, 11:41 PM
Don't vegetables always start out as frozen?Well I suppose if you wait until December or January to pick them.

Mephistopheles Janx
08-05-2020, 11:43 PM
I am when it comes to vegetables, they cannot be frozen. That's why I hated the pot pies Joey mentioned in the other thread so much. The taste and texture of the veggies in them are just off.

Frozen broccoli is my jam. Perfect as a side and perfect in my cheddar broccoli potato soup. The only other veg I freeze, currently, is peas and carrots.

Come next spring I intend to grow so many potatoes that I'm gonna gave to shred/cube and freeze them for long term storage though.

Bugeater
08-05-2020, 11:46 PM
Frozen broccoli is my jam. Perfect as a side and perfect in my cheddar broccoli potato soup. The only other veg I freeze, currently, is peas and carrots.

Come next spring I intend to grow so many potatoes that I'm gonna gave to shred/cube and freeze them for long term storage though.Oh god NOOOOOOO!

Bugeater
08-05-2020, 11:46 PM
Actually frozen potatoes are OK. Ore Ida tator tots are like crack to me.

Mephistopheles Janx
08-05-2020, 11:48 PM

It's gotta be the Ore Ida ones too. All the other brands taste like cardboard. I'm with you 100% on those tots.

Dartgod
08-05-2020, 11:53 PM
I'd like to microwave this server I'm stuck working on at 12 fucking 53 in the fucking morning.

Simply Red
08-05-2020, 11:54 PM
billay will blow you if you have another single sausage/pancake on a stick thing

Simply Red
08-05-2020, 11:55 PM
Ole burritos aren't too bad.

Mephistopheles Janx
08-06-2020, 12:11 AM
Ole burritos aren't too bad.

Ok... I do miss how these would basically explode in the microwave.

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/ba122458-543b-437b-b5b5-afbd04051f30.a6cc1d27e2330239e0562cf14a7e406e.jpeg

KurtCobain
08-06-2020, 12:20 AM

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/ba122458-543b-437b-b5b5-afbd04051f30.a6cc1d27e2330239e0562cf14a7e406e.jpeg

That's my jam right there!

KurtCobain
08-06-2020, 12:20 AM
That's my jam right there!

Side Note : Take the metal lid off of the jam jar before you put it in the microwave.

Bump
08-06-2020, 12:42 AM

make sure they are cooked first or partially cook at least. raw potatoes don't freeze well.

Mephistopheles Janx
08-06-2020, 12:44 AM
make sure they are cooked first or partially cook at least. raw potatoes don't freeze well.

Good to know... thank you.

kjwood75nro
08-06-2020, 01:10 AM
Defrosting meat, reheating leftovers, resurrecting cold coffee.

Pasta in the plastic container.

The occasional Ramen/Rice-a-Roni. Bacon layered in paper towels. Popcorn.

The rice button. Flawless texture every time.

Frazod
08-06-2020, 01:21 AM

I really like these - had a couple earlier this evening.

I've got a system for them. I'll nuke them for 90 seconds, then flip them over, sprinkle some shredded cheese on them, and then nuke another minute. Top them off with a little sour cream and hot sauce, and also that Goya seasoning you mentioned in the DC thread.

TripleThreat
08-06-2020, 01:25 AM
I used one of my secret recipes I use on bacon wrapped scallops on my chicken with grilled onions. It was bomb.

I microwaved some Mac n cheeze, it was bomb.

After making both I said wait, Mac n cheeze and chicken? Hell yes. Put them together, good but not perfect. Got a little tipsy, added in too many spices, first few bites were ok, after that it was just too much.

Wish I woulda just had my bomb ass chicken and side of Mac n cheeze like I originally planned.