PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Willie Gay playing the famous “Buc” position.

Direckshun
08-17-2020, 10:38 AM
Robert Rimpson
@Rimpsanity
·
10m
Willie Gay says that Chiefs have him playing two LB positions: Sam and Buc

=========

What the hell is that?

KCrockaholic
08-17-2020, 10:39 AM
It's actually spelled Buck. But it's essentially an edge rusher.

Direckshun
08-17-2020, 10:42 AM
It's actually spelled Buck. But it's essentially an edge rusher.

Isn’t Gay’s best attribute his coverage skills?

And we’re slotting him early as a Sam and rushbacker?

O.city
08-17-2020, 10:43 AM

With the offseason being waht it is, those are the easiest to learn quickly.

Get him started there with experience and go from there.

Skyy God
08-17-2020, 10:43 AM

Easier to learn in an abbreviated offseason.

Direckshun
08-17-2020, 10:46 AM
I think it’d be easier to learn the things you’re good at but what do I know.

staylor26
08-17-2020, 10:46 AM

He’s also a great blitzer, which is a lot easier to translate immediately.

Kiimo
08-17-2020, 10:47 AM

I have no doubt Gay can use that speed and athleticism it takes for coverage skills to rush the QB too

staylor26
08-17-2020, 10:47 AM
I think it’d be easier to learn the things you’re good at but what do I know.

He IS good at getting after the QB you fucking moron.

Direckshun
08-17-2020, 10:49 AM
He IS good at getting after the QB you ****ing moron.

He’s good at just about everything.

But if teams are going to beat us, they’re going to beat us by passing on our linebackers. That’s how we lost to the Pack and the Texans.

I know the staff knows what they’re doing but not immediately plugging into pass coverage is a curious choice. We need him there more than we need reinforcements at Sam.

Mecca
08-17-2020, 10:50 AM
Uh ok but if Gay is playing those positions, those are Damian Wilsons positions..who the fuck is playing Will?

Direckshun
08-17-2020, 10:52 AM
Uh ok but if Gay is playing those positions, those are Damian Wilsons positions..who the **** is playing Will?

My guess is they’re putting Wilson at will like they did last year.

Not real sure what the season-long plan is there.

staylor26
08-17-2020, 10:58 AM

But if teams are going to beat us, they’re going to beat us by passing on our linebackers. That’s how we lost to the Pack and the Texans.

I know the staff knows what they’re doing but not immediately plugging into pass coverage is a curious choice. We need him there more than we need reinforcements at Sam.

I’m pretty sure Spags and House have a better idea about all of this than you. At some point, you have to realize that this is a top notch organization and coaching staff that knows exactly what they’re doing.

Also, this doesn’t mean that he won’t also be used in coverage. You’re over analyzing it.

Direckshun
08-17-2020, 10:59 AM
I’m pretty sure Spags and House have a better idea about all of this than you. At some point, you have to realize that this is a top notch organization and coaching staff that knows exactly what they’re doing.

I’m pretty sure the post you quoted said that.

Mecca
08-17-2020, 10:59 AM
Considering how completely willing they were to pull guys off the field for certain sets like how often Ben Niemann got playing time, if Willie Gay is ready he'll be on the field in Nickel defense.

DJ's left nut
08-17-2020, 11:00 AM

He's good at playing downhill and with some level of reckless abandon. His problem in college was that he could be fooled by misdirection or slower developing plays. He'd take himself out of plays.

Putting him in a position that allows for easier mental processing and lets him simply lean into his athleticism is a good idea. I think he's a Will long-term, but the Will requires a lot of 'pick up or drop off' sort of decisions that are pretty difficult to make, especially if you're operating in space.

The mental processing required for guys that stay clean is pretty immense. If your job is to occupy/shed/follow, that's fairly straightforward. But if you have to read and react, you need a lot more time in the system to avoid significant breakdowns.

Direckshun
08-17-2020, 11:00 AM
This makes a lot more sense than rushbacker.

Craig Stout
@barleyhop
·
14m
BUCK = Backside linebacker in the Buffalo, or Big Nickel.

That would be the nickel WILL spot that we saw Damien Wilson play in 2019 after taking over for Lee.

Gay also stated that he's getting reps as the base SAM, which is where Wilson started 2019 and Ragland finished.

staylor26
08-17-2020, 11:01 AM
I’m pretty sure the post you quoted said that.

Yet you still called it a “curious choice” and are questioning it.

Again, this doesn’t mean he won’t also be used in coverage. Stop overthinking this news.

DJ's left nut
08-17-2020, 11:03 AM
Uh ok but if Gay is playing those positions, those are Damian Wilsons positions..who the fuck is playing Will?

Hitchens had his best season playing the Will in Dallas. Wilson has the experience and baseline athleticism to manage it. I actually think Wilson played a fair amount of it early in the season, when they were working on how to utilize Ragland or Lee.

Wilson sliding to Will is probably the simplest and most straightforward solution. With a truncated camp, it makes a lot of sense.

Direckshun
08-17-2020, 11:03 AM
Yet you still called it a “curious choice” and are questioning it.

Again, this doesn’t mean he won’t also be used in coverage. Stop overthinking this news.

Oh god forbid someone question a choice even a great coaching staff makes.

Christ.

DJ's left nut
08-17-2020, 11:05 AM
This makes a lot more sense than rushbacker.

Craig Stout
@barleyhop
·
14m
BUCK = Backside linebacker in the Buffalo, or Big Nickel.

That would be the nickel WILL spot that we saw Damien Wilson play in 2019 after taking over for Lee.

Gay also stated that he's getting reps as the base SAM, which is where Wilson started 2019 and Ragland finished.

Just gonna roll my eyes a bit here.

You managed to confuse yourself and somehow decide that the Chiefs were going to be utilizing Willie Gay as some sort of Derrick Thomas Falcon 'backer - well that's on you.

Of course this is how he's being used. And yes, Wilson playing the Will makes sense because that's what he did last year.

Nothing Stout said here should've been eye-opening but somehow you got yourself twisted into a knot. M'kay.

Direckshun
Hitchens had his best season playing the Will in Dallas. Wilson has the experience and baseline athleticism to manage it. I actually think Wilson played a fair amount of it early in the season, when they were working on how to utilize Ragland or Lee.

Wilson sliding to Will is probably the simplest and most straightforward solution. With a truncated camp, it makes a lot of sense.

Honestly, I still can’t figure why more attention hasn’t been paid to Gay as the eventual Mike.

He has every damn tool you need, and we need a Mike of the future (really, we need a Mike now but Hitchens is too $$$ to cut).

DJ's left nut

Christ.

You didn't question their choice. You simply misunderstood it.

Direckshun
08-17-2020, 11:07 AM
Just gonna roll my eyes a bit here.

You managed to confuse yourself and somehow decide that the Chiefs were going to be utilizing Willie Gay as some sort of Derrick Thomas Falcon 'backer - well that's on you.

Of course this is how he's being used. And yes, Wilson playing the Will makes sense because that's what he did last year.

Nothing Stout said here should've been eye-opening but somehow you got yourself twisted into a knot. M'kay.

LMAO

Christ, guys. Take ‘er down a notch.

staylor26

Christ.

It’s not your questioning alone.

It’s your lack of understanding that Gay can do both and one transfers to the next level a lot faster.

Like DJ has said, allowing him to play downhill often and early is the best way to start his development. The read and react stuff will come with time.

DJ's left nut
Honestly, I still can’t figure why more attention hasn’t been paid to Gay as the eventual Mike.

He has every damn tool you need, and we need a Mike of the future (really, we need a Mike now but Hitchens is too $$$ to cut).

Because he'll have to somehow earn that job. The Mike wears the dot because that's the guy that's on the field every play - even in a Dime setup. There's nothing to suggest that Gay is remotely prepared to assume that responsibility. He can't be out there giving line/coverage calls to the rest of the LB crew.

Moreover, the Mike has run responsibilities that Gay showed he had potential to handle, but not yet the mental acuity. He's still easily fooled and can be drawn down too easily.

He's not close to capable of the Mike yet. Maybe in a year - more likely in 2. There's just too many ancillary responsibilities.

Direckshun
08-17-2020, 11:08 AM
You didn't question their choice. You simply misunderstood it.

That’s also fine. Someone give staylor some oxygen.

Direckshun
08-17-2020, 11:09 AM
It’s not your questioning alone.

It’s your lack of understanding that Gay can do both and one transfers to the next level a lot faster.

Like DJ has said, allowing him to play downhill often and early is the best way to start his development. The read and react stuff will come with time.

Now we’re getting into the granular football chat I signed up for.

I think that’s ultimately reasonable, the things that jumped out to me on tape were his coverage and that’s where I want to see this guy ASAP.

Direckshun
08-17-2020, 11:11 AM
Because he'll have to somehow earn that job. The Mike wears the dot because that's the guy that's on the field every play - even in a Dime setup. There's nothing to suggest that Gay is remotely prepared to assume that responsibility. He can't be out there giving line/coverage calls to the rest of the LB crew.

Moreover, the Mike has run responsibilities that Gay showed he had potential to handle, but not yet the mental acuity. He's still easily fooled and can be drawn down too easily.

He's not close to capable of the Mike yet. Maybe in a year - more likely in 2. There's just too many ancillary responsibilities.

Completely agree — just think he has the tools for the job and he could take it in a year.

I just haven’t heard even whispers about that. All public statements suggest he’s a long term Will — which, fine. I think he’s be a killer Mike though.

Not to be confused with the actual Killer Mike.

Strongside
08-17-2020, 11:12 AM
Knowing the way Spags mixes up coverages and blitz packages to confuse offenses, this makes a lot of sense.

An athletic freak like WGJ is a terrifying proposition coming off the edge when offensive fronts are already being asked to deal with Chris Jones and Frank Clark. But the real beauty there lies in the fact that you can mix up your coverages. Teams may think Gay is a sure bet to blitz out of a certain look, when in reality he has a coverage assignment.

They are trying to put him into position to make plays - be they in the backfield, or by getting the ball into his general vicinity. Kid has all the physical tools to be a star if his head is in the right place.

DJ's left nut
08-17-2020, 11:18 AM
Completely agree — just think he has the tools for the job and he could take it in a year.

I just haven’t heard even whispers about that. All public statements suggest he’s a long term Will — which, fine. I think he’s be a killer Mike though.

Not to be confused with the actual Killer Mike.

One of Von's best years was when he played the Sam in that 4-3 setup the Broncos ran for a couple years. He was able to simplify his responsibilities and attack.

If a guy has the functional strength to play the Sam AND the athleticism to operate in coverage against the TE, that's a pretty rare bird. Gay probably has that right. My only question is core strength. He's clearly a very strong guy, but there's a 'grown man strong' question still - less weight room strong but rather core strong. If he has that, the SAM is perfect for him while he's learning the ropes.

Then as he gets more comfortable in the defense, I suspect the team will look at him as a possible Mike. But ultimately the organization has nothing but positive things to say about Hitchens as the "QB on the field" so rather than undercut him there, that's simply his job and that's that.

It won't become a conversation until the Chiefs move on from Hitchens. Once that happens, the conversation will start.

RunKC
08-17-2020, 11:22 AM

Spags is a very versatile coach. He isn’t putting any single talented player in one position, which is smart.

Frank Clark and Chris Jones have rushed inside and outside, Landlord plays everywhere, Thornhill has played multiple safety positions, Fuller played corner and safety.

Versatility is key to this defense and IMO defense overall in this new offensive league.

It would not be wise to pigeonhole Gay to one position.

Dunerdr
08-17-2020, 11:40 AM
OH MY FUCKING GOD THEY DRAFTED HIM TO BE AN EDGE HOW STUPIT

Dante84
08-17-2020, 12:34 PM
He's learning to tie his shoes; the coverage responsibilities will come.

This defense's blitz packages are going to be Eric Winston-level DITHSGUTHSTINGG

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3miJDWa3CLM?start=124" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

rabblerouser
08-17-2020, 12:35 PM
SAM LB is on the strongside, IE the side the TE lines up on and needs to provide strong run support and fill his gap on the run, but he also is required to drop in short zones to cover TEs and RBs in both cover 2 and cover 3.

Sassy Squatch
08-17-2020, 01:03 PM

Christ.
LMAO

Pitt Gorilla
08-17-2020, 01:23 PM
Spags is a very versatile coach. He isn’t putting any single talented player in one position, which is smart.

Frank Clark and Chris Jones have rushed inside and outside, Landlord plays everywhere, Thornhill has played multiple safety positions, Fuller played corner and safety.

Versatility is key to this defense and IMO defense overall in this new offensive league.

It would not be wise to pigeonhole Gay to one position.All of this. It also makes diagnosis of defense that much more difficult.

Pitt Gorilla
08-17-2020, 01:26 PM

He has every damn tool you need, and we need a Mike of the future (really, we need a Mike now but Hitchens is too $$$ to cut).I imagine that would be the goal. He's a rookie, though, so we might want to give it a minute or two.

Pitt Gorilla
08-17-2020, 01:29 PM
On a related note, I absolutely LOVED what they did with Fenton last year. Dude was a late-round rookie and they were able to get him on the field a ton as the season went on. Was he a CB? A safety? The answer is yes.

Makes me wonder what Spags could do with a guy like Isiah Simmons.

O.city
08-17-2020, 01:34 PM
On a related note, I absolutely LOVED what they did with Fenton last year. Dude was a late-round rookie and they were able to get him on the field a ton as the season went on. Was he a CB? A safety? The answer is yes.

Makes me wonder what Spags could do with a guy like Isiah Simmons.

Simmons is the prototype guy in today's NFL. I Adams is as well and Seattle will put him in the perfect spot.

Today's defense is all about versatility and athleticism. You gotta be able to run and move and be an athlete.

Seems to me specialization is yesterday's cup of tea. Being able to have the same guys on the field more together, makes a huge deal.

I would love for Gay to become the MLB of the future and be the anchor of the defense. I've always loved true difference makers at that spot. They just make it nasty in the middle.

I'm not sure what they are doing with him, but I still think Haason Reddick would be a good fit in this d.

gblowfish
08-17-2020, 01:37 PM
Is Speaks eating himself into a defensive tackle??

Mecca
08-17-2020, 01:44 PM
Is Speaks eating himself into a defensive tackle??

Nah Speaks looks like he lost 30lbs.

Dunerdr
08-17-2020, 01:50 PM
Nah Speaks looks like he lost 30lbs.

According too the ap podcast hes been running a ton and training with his 7th grade trainer..

Pitt Gorilla
08-17-2020, 01:51 PM
According too the ap podcast hes been running a ton and training with his 7th grade trainer..His trainer is a seventh grader?

Mecca
08-17-2020, 01:58 PM
His trainer is a seventh grader?

Kids are full of energy man, just keeping up would shed pounds.

Dunerdr
08-17-2020, 02:06 PM
Kids are full of energy man, just keeping up would shed pounds.
I assumed it was just his Jr. High coach making him run snakes for being too heavy to play Jr. high football.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
08-17-2020, 05:58 PM
I thought it was a Billay thread