PDA

View Full Version : Football NFL Referees back to part time.

JakeF
08-18-2020, 11:48 AM
NFL Reportedly Declines to Make Referees Full-Time Employees for 2020 Season
JOSEPH ZUCKER
AUGUST 18, 2020

Referee Brad Allen, left, and umpire Barry Anderson (20) talk on the field during the second half of an NFL football game against the Indianapolis Colts Sunday, Dec. 29, 2019, in Jacksonville, Fla. (AP Photo/Phelan M. Ebenhack)
Phelan M. Ebenhack/Associated Press
The NFL won't grant full-time status to referees for the 2020 season, according to ESPN's Kevin Seifert.

Seifert reported the NFL signaled in May it would make 10 referees full-time employees for the upcoming year, but the league then walked back the decision.

One belief is that the quality of officiating would improve if some referees had the ability to make it a full-time career. A number of referees have second jobs that demand their attention, especially during the offseason.

Justified or not, fans will always find something to complain about regarding officiating.

Even taking that into account, the 2019 season was particularly bad on that front. The most notable example was how referees declined to overturn the vast majority of pass interference calls even when a replay review appeared to show the call on the field was incorrect.

"It's pretty simple," ESPN officiating analyst John Parry told Seifert in January. "The league needs to commit resources and money to this. It needs to commit to the resurrection of the officiating department, the staff, the training and the recruiting. There has to be a commitment of people and money to improve it at every level."

Seifert reported in May that Al Riveron, the NFL's senior vice president of officiating, would no longer have the oversight role he held in 2019.

Instead, Walt Anderson "has assumed control over the tasks normally charged to the NFL's officiating chief." Former assistant coach Perry Fewell was also brought board as the senior vice president of officiating administration.

InChiefsHeaven
08-18-2020, 11:56 AM
Neat article from last year...thanks for belatedly posting!!

JakeF
08-18-2020, 12:00 PM
Neat article from last year...thanks for belatedly posting!!
There you go, bitch.

InChiefsHeaven
08-18-2020, 12:16 PM
There you go, bitch.

THAT'S BETTER!!:evil:

Deberg_1990
08-18-2020, 12:19 PM
How does being paid full time vs part time make you a better referee?

cmh6476
08-18-2020, 02:22 PM
they should get incentives based on review of their calls following the games.

BossChief
08-18-2020, 06:34 PM
The fix is in.

“Somebody is going to pay us”

ChiefsFanatic
08-19-2020, 01:45 AM
they should get incentives based on review of their calls following the games.They should have to do press conferences after the game, and defend their calls. Their names should be on screen when they are speaking at the press conference.

These refs make bad calls, like the non-call of defensive pass interference in the Saints-Rams game a couple of years ago, and walk out of the stadium to what is basically complete anonymity.

Yes, the head officials are recognizable due to having close ups during the game, but most are just invisible outside of the stadium. If they had to answer for every horrible call, and have their name printed in every paper and on every online site that would cover the post game press conference, I bet they would start to care about getting better and getting the calls correct.

As it is now, the league informs teams during the week which calls they acknowledge were incorrect from the previous week, and we hardly ever hear about it.

The NFL says they grade officials, and only the best get to call playoff games, but their "grading" system doesn't mean shit. There are no real repercussions for officials that blow calls. I think in my 44 years of watching the NFL, I can only think of maybe twice where an official was suspended or fired for a blown call.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Dunerdr
08-19-2020, 06:00 AM
I feel like theyre saying Riveron is a fuck up. No full time status until its better.

Wisconsin_Chief
08-19-2020, 06:17 AM
Not like anything looked different when they were full time.

Dunerdr
08-19-2020, 07:19 AM
Not like anything looked different when they were full time.

Possibly worse with the refusal to overturn blatant pass interference calls. I feel like this is an old school union negotiation. The refs accepted the new rule but refused to overturn it, so the NFL said fuck you. We will take back full time status until the quality gets better.

Sofa King
08-19-2020, 08:31 AM
I wish they'd call less penalties. I'm tired of holding my breath after every goddamn play.