PDA

View Full Version : Life You know what else sucks?

Mecca
09-04-2020, 09:18 AM
Self checkouts, who came up with this brilliant idea? Cause when I go shopping I want to work too, float me a discount for doing a job and I'll consider it. This idea that they can get rid of jobs and make you scan your own shit is dumb.

backinblack
09-04-2020, 09:20 AM
I like the Walmart ones because they are almost always faster than the check outs with the cashiers.

Plus I've always hated the small talk cashiers try to engage in when scanning my shit. I don't fucking care, just make me pay for this crap so I can get out of here, thanks.

Rain Man
09-04-2020, 09:21 AM
I like them if the cost savings eventually finds its way into pricing, which it should in a capitalist world. Plus, I don't like people touching my stuff.

InChiefsHeaven
09-04-2020, 09:22 AM
Self checkouts, who came up with this brilliant idea? Cause when I go shopping I want to work too, float me a discount for doing a job and I'll consider it. This idea that they can get rid of jobs and make you scan your own shit is dumb.

Not to mention, if you are buying any alchohol, they have to come over and enter in their little manager code...why not just ring up my shit? Also, when those machines screw up or whatever, you have to wait for them to come over and fix them, and it takes longer than if you would have just gone through the damn checkout line.

Yes...I'm an old man screaming at the sky, but I hate those damn things. I only use them if I have like 1 or 2 little things. Pain in the ass.

Now get the hell off my lawn...

KCUnited
09-04-2020, 09:28 AM
https://i.imgur.com/VBaSNsB.jpg?1

Simply Red
09-04-2020, 09:33 AM
I like you Mecca but you're being a little overly salty here. Unnecessarily so...

ModSocks
09-04-2020, 09:34 AM
I like 'em. They're much faster. The line goes much quicker.

BigCatDaddy
09-04-2020, 09:35 AM
Your threads.

Mecca
09-04-2020, 09:35 AM
Your threads.

Your ass, you found it.

prhom
09-04-2020, 09:38 AM
They are okay for small trips and when barcodes are on everything. They are awful when you buy a bunch of produce and have to enter codes and weigh 20 different fruits and vegetables or when there isn’t enough room to bag everything without having to get an attendant to acknowledge that you removed a bag from the bagging area because you have more than three bags of stuff.

Dante84
09-04-2020, 09:40 AM
Amazon Go stores are awesome, if you've ever been in one.

Basically you walk in, grab what you need, and walk out - no checking out at all. You have your Amazon App when you walk into the store to check in and then it just knows what you've picked up and are carrying around, and when you walk out, it charges it to your account.

No waiting on an old lady to write a check, no dipshit teenager breaking your eggs, no gross machine that 3000 people have touched that week.

Deberg_1990
09-04-2020, 09:41 AM
I like them. I can check out myself faster than Ted, the 80 year old part time retiree

Wal mart tends to have the absolute slowest cashiers.

luv
09-04-2020, 09:43 AM
Eh, the people that used to be checking you out are now shopping for you instead. More and more people doing grocery pickup, and I've seen employees pushing carts with a grocery pickup sign on the side.

Deberg_1990
09-04-2020, 09:44 AM
Amazon Go stores are awesome, if you've ever been in one.

Basically you walk in, grab what you need, and walk out - no checking out at all. You have your Amazon App when you walk into the store to check in and then it just knows what you've picked up and are carrying around, and when you walk out, it charges it to your account.

No waiting on an old lady to write a check, no dipshit teenager breaking your eggs, no gross machine that 3000 people have touched that week.

What prevents someone from walking in without a phone and grabbing whatever you want without paying?

Rain Man
09-04-2020, 09:46 AM
What prevents someone from walking in without a phone and grabbing whatever you want without paying?

That would be the Amazon Murder App. Rated 1.5 stars in the app store.

Dante84
09-04-2020, 09:48 AM

There's like a turn style type of thing at the door, and you scan in.

https://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=16008589011

What is Just Walk Out Shopping?
We created the world’s most advanced shopping technology so you never have to wait in line.

Our checkout-free shopping experience is made possible by the same types of technologies used in self-driving cars: computer vision, sensor fusion, and deep learning. Just Walk Out Technology automatically detects when products are taken from or returned to the shelves and keeps track of them in a virtual cart. When you’re done shopping, you can just leave the store. Later, we’ll send you a receipt and charge your Amazon account. No lines, no checkout. (No, seriously.)

What stores have Just Walk Out Shopping?
Amazon Go and Amazon Go Grocery both offer Just Walk Out Shopping. That means whether you need a delicious lunch to eat now or ingredients for dinner, you can get them fast—with no lines and no checkout.

Amazon Go offers a wide array of breakfast, lunch, and snack options ready to eat right now.

Amazon Go Grocery offers everything you’d want from a neighborhood grocery store—from fresh produce and meat and seafood to bakery items and household essentials—plus easy-to-make dinner options. We offer a mix of organic and conventional items from well-known brands, along with special finds and local favorites.

How do I shop at Amazon Go and Amazon Go Grocery?
All you need is an Amazon account, the free Amazon Go app, and a recent-generation iPhone or Android phone. You can find the Amazon Go app in the Apple App Store, Google Play, and Amazon Appstore.

When you arrive, use the app to enter the store, then feel free to put your phone away—you don’t need it to shop. Then just browse and shop like you would at any other store. Once you’re done shopping, you’re on your way. No lines, no checkout.

Do you have any people working in the store?
Yes. Our great team of associates are an important part of the experience at both Amazon Go and Amazon Go Grocery. You’ll see our associates greeting shoppers at the door, restocking shelves, answering questions, and making product recommendations. We’ve simply shifted how our associates spend their time so they can help deliver a great experience for shoppers.

htismaqe
09-04-2020, 09:52 AM
I like the Walmart ones because they are almost always faster than the check outs with the cashiers.

Plus I've always hated the small talk cashiers try to engage in when scanning my shit. I don't fucking care, just make me pay for this crap so I can get out of here, thanks.

Yep. Most of the checkers are Walmart are under 20 or over 70. Self checkout easily cuts 10 minutes off the trip.

Besides, the "discount" Mecca wants is already built in, if Walmart got any cheaper you'd be paying for air.

htismaqe
09-04-2020, 09:53 AM
Eh, the people that used to be checking you out are now shopping for you instead. More and more people doing grocery pickup, and I've seen employees pushing carts with a grocery pickup sign on the side.

Yep. They still have jobs.

eDave
09-04-2020, 09:56 AM

I assume all items not charged will set off an exit alarm.

My store always has at least one register open, except late at night.

Third Eye
09-04-2020, 09:56 AM
Self-checkouts are the single best innovation in grocery store history. Probably the worst aspect of moving from Louisville back to KC was that almost none of the grocery stores here have them with the exception of Hen House.

cosmo20002
09-04-2020, 09:57 AM

99% of the time they have a shorter or no line, so they are faster.
The worst part of going to Costco is that it takes forever to check out. For a while my Costco had a couple self checkout lanes, and it was great--never a wait. Then they got rid of them.

Mecca
09-04-2020, 09:57 AM
Yep. Most of the checkers are Walmart are under 20 or over 70. Self checkout easily cuts 10 minutes off the trip.

Besides, the "discount" Mecca wants is already built in, if Walmart got any cheaper you'd be paying for air.

It's fine if I have 2 things, I'm not doing that shit if I have a bunch of stuff though.

Mecca
09-04-2020, 09:58 AM
99% of the time they have a shorter or no line, so they are faster.
The worst part of going to Costco is that it takes forever to check out. For a while my Costco had a couple self checkout lanes, and it was great--never a wait. Then they got rid of them.

That would be the worst place ever to do that...let me pick up my 10 50lb bags of shit I bought and scan them.

Dante84
09-04-2020, 10:02 AM
I assume all items not charged will set off an exit alarm.

My store always has at least one register open, except late at night.

If you're in the store, you'll have already checked in so knows your account and ties it to what you grab as you walk through the store, and should you exit, it charges you.

That problem is eliminated before you even enter.

htismaqe
09-04-2020, 10:02 AM
It's fine if I have 2 things, I'm not doing that shit if I have a bunch of stuff though.

Dude, the slowness of your average WalMart checker can be measured per item.

Checking out my own cart full of 50 items could save me THIRTY MINUTES at Walmart. The checkers are that slow.

Plus bagging is a lost art. They don't watch for eggs, they put tubs of sour cream on loaves of bread. Sometimes is just better to do the work yourself than expecting somebody that's barely making enough to feed themselves to give a shit if they're doing a good job.

jd1020
09-04-2020, 10:03 AM
Best part about self checkout lines is that most shoppers refuse to use them no matter how long the lines are at the traditional checkout. Makes it a much nicer experience when I just want to get in and get out.

Mecca
09-04-2020, 10:04 AM
Dude, the slowness of your average WalMart checker can be measured per item.

Checking out my own cart full of 50 items could save me THIRTY MINUTES at Walmart. The checkers are that slow.

Plus bagging is a lost art. They don't watch for eggs, they put tubs of sour cream on loaves of bread. Sometimes is just better to do the work yourself than expecting somebody that's barely making enough to feed themselves to give a shit if they're doing a good job.

I generally try to avoid Walmart if I can.

htismaqe
09-04-2020, 10:06 AM
I generally try to avoid Walmart if I can.

Me too. As much as I bust on the employees, I actually feel sorry for them. They're basically treated like indentured servants. The ones that don't look beat down and full of despair are the ones daydreaming about the meth they're going to score after work.

htismaqe
09-04-2020, 10:08 AM
Best part about self checkout lines is that most shoppers refuse to use them no matter how long the lines are at the traditional checkout. Makes it a much nicer experience when I just want to get in and get out.

For sure. There's definitely a "get off my lawn" crowd around here that refuses to use them because "that's somebody's job!"

Look around, that group of 8 punk kids wearing Walmart stocks still have job. They're just talking now instead of smashing your groceries.

jd1020
09-04-2020, 10:08 AM
Not sure how Costco does it but Sam's Club has the best self checkout because you dont have to put every item on a scale after every scan. I can just leave everything in the cart and grab that hand held scanner and just go to town. Then the person checking the receipt does a half ass attempt to make sure you aren't stealing anything by taking a quick glance and sending you on your way.

Mecca
09-04-2020, 10:13 AM
For sure. There's definitely a "get off my lawn" crowd around here that refuses to use them because "that's somebody's job!"

Look around, that group of 8 punk kids wearing Walmart stocks still have job. They're just talking now instead of smashing your groceries.

Place your item in the bag..ok...place your item in the bag, I did...place your item in the bag alright fuck this thing.

Mugalug
09-04-2020, 10:14 AM
Next thing you know we will be pumping our own gas!

Deberg_1990
09-04-2020, 10:14 AM
Place your item in the bag..ok...place your item in the bag, I did...place your item in the bag alright **** this thing.

Skip bagging?

Wait for an associate

Deberg_1990
09-04-2020, 10:15 AM
Next thing you know we will be pumping our own gas!

Not in New Jersey

eDave
09-04-2020, 10:16 AM
If you're in the store, you'll have already checked in so knows your account and ties it to what you grab as you walk through the store, and should you exit, it charges you.

That problem is eliminated before you even enter.

Right. And if the app is not there those items will set off an alarm when they leave.

htismaqe
09-04-2020, 10:17 AM
Place your item in the bag..ok...place your item in the bag, I did...place your item in the bag alright fuck this thing.

If it's a large item that won't fit in a bag, lay it on the metal plate. It's a sensor. If you ring something up and don't put it there, it can't count it.

Patience, grasshopper. It takes patience.

Dante84
09-04-2020, 10:18 AM
Right. And if the app is not there those items will set off an alarm when they leave.

If the app is not there they won't get in the store (i don't think).

https://i.insider.com/5de41e1afd9db26d82264413?width=900&format=jpeg&auto=webp

BigRedChief
I like the Walmart ones because they are almost always faster than the check outs with the cashiers.That is the plan. Always having a cashier shortage is not random, its in place so you will use their self-checkouts.

backinblack
Not sure how Costco does it but Sam's Club has the best self checkout because you dont have to put every item on a scale after every scan. I can just leave everything in the cart and grab that hand held scanner and just go to town. Then the person checking the receipt does a half ass attempt to make sure you aren't stealing anything by taking a quick glance and sending you on your way.

you can do that at Walmart too.

eDave

Ah.

JohnnyHammersticks
09-04-2020, 10:19 AM
If you don't like them, don't use them.

/thread

Rain Man
09-04-2020, 10:20 AM

I bet there's a demographic or psychographic issue here. Do you live in a neighborhood with a lot of older people or people who dislike change? I live in a place where the population is relatively young, and I feel like 90 percent of the traffic willingly goes to the self checkout.

backinblack
09-04-2020, 10:22 AM
y'all should try shopping at a Winco some time, there the cashier scans your stuff, but you still have to bag it.

don't even know if they have self checkouts in Wincos now, haven't been in one in over a decade.

htismaqe
09-04-2020, 10:26 AM

Those look like RFID or HID scanners. They're used in office places everywhere. My guess is you are correct. You can't enter without the appropriate ID/app.

htismaqe
09-04-2020, 10:27 AM
I bet there's a demographic or psychographic issue here. Do you live in a neighborhood with a lot of older people or people who dislike change? I live in a place where the population is relatively young, and I feel like 90 percent of the traffic willingly goes to the self checkout.

I live in the "nursing home" of America. :D

cosmo20002
09-04-2020, 10:27 AM
That would be the worst place ever to do that...let me pick up my 10 50lb bags of shit I bought and scan them.

Heavy Items Stay In Cart
There was a scanning gun--awesome.

Mecca
09-04-2020, 10:28 AM
I live in the "nursing home" of America. :D

Ew there must be diapers everywhere.

Jewish Rabbi
09-04-2020, 10:28 AM
God damn Mecca coming hard for Pete’s title of whiniest bitch on this board.

SuperBowl4
09-04-2020, 10:34 AM
WELCOME to AGENDA 21

BWillie
09-04-2020, 10:34 AM

Once you are done checking your shit out, go find the manager and ask when you can expect to get a paycheck and an update on your 401k.

htismaqe
09-04-2020, 10:36 AM
Ew there must be diapers everywhere.

Me, my brother, and a friend went to Chicago for a convention once. We got a late start and stayed at a Best Western in Schaumburg, it was after midnight when we checked in.

Went downstairs to get a scotch before bed and there was some kind of old fart square dance going on. The "band" was a guy playing a Fender Telecaster over the top of a programmable Casio keyboard, which apparently contained a bunch of canned music.

At one point, the guy in the booth next to us turned around as said "I hope you young bucks didn't come here to pick up chicks."

"Unless you know how to change Depends."

htismaqe
09-04-2020, 10:37 AM
Once you are done checking your shit out, go find the manager and ask when you can expect to get a paycheck and an update on your 401k.

"You see that $8 pair of slipper you just bought? That's your paycheck."

Saulbadguy
09-04-2020, 10:41 AM
I use the handheld scanners that way I can load my bags before checking out. Saves a ton of time.

Hammock Parties
09-04-2020, 11:01 AM
You gotta be kidding. I love them. Who wants to deal with humans?

Eventually, no humans will be required to run a grocery store.

Delivery - robots.
Stocking - robots.
Checkout - automated.

Maybe they can even have a robot butcher. Now THAT would be cool.

ChiefsCountry
09-04-2020, 11:13 AM
Best thing ever when you need buy condoms or any random sex product though lol.

Chief Roundup
09-04-2020, 11:18 AM
I like them if the cost savings eventually finds its way into pricing, which it should in a capitalist world. Plus, I don't like people touching my stuff.

He said cost saving finds it way back into pricing. ROFL ROFL

Lots of people touch your stuff. You are removing one person out of 100......

Chief Roundup
09-04-2020, 11:20 AM

Oh man it is so much work... :rolleyes:
I don't like it that it gets rid of jobs either.
I do like to bag my own stuff instead of people that don't 2 shits about the condition of my bread or other things when I get home. At least when I bag my stuff the right things are put in bags together in a way that nothing gets damaged.

InChiefsHeaven
09-04-2020, 11:35 AM

Ummmmm...how did it get to the store to begin with? How did it get on the shelves? People pick items up and them put them back...

...you are surrounded by other people's funk. Yet you live. AMAZING!!;)

InChiefsHeaven
09-04-2020, 11:36 AM
Oh man it is so much work... :rolleyes:
I don't like it that it gets rid of jobs either.
I do like to bag my own stuff instead of people that don't 2 shits about the condition of my bread or other things when I get home. At least when I bag my stuff the right things are put in bags together in a way that nothing gets damaged.

The little punks at HyVee do a pretty good job, at least at the one I go to. They all seem a little...socially awkward, but they are courteous and then don't crush my bread.

ChiliConCarnage
09-04-2020, 11:39 AM
Self-checkouts are the single best innovation in grocery store history. Probably the worst aspect of moving from Louisville back to KC was that almost none of the grocery stores here have them with the exception of Hen House.

The Hyvee near me remodeled over the summer and now has self-checkout. I imagine it's coming everywhere in time. As you scan an item, it actually speaks out the price it rang up as. Now I want all of them to do it. I know Target, WMT, etc. you'd have to look over at the screen to see the price.

I love self-checkout.

ModSocks
09-04-2020, 11:40 AM
Best thing ever when you need buy condoms or any random sex product though lol.

You mean you don't do that weird creeper thing where you ask the cute cashier lady for the Magnums and then flash a creepy smirk?

You're missin' out!

htismaqe
09-04-2020, 11:56 AM
The little punks at HyVee do a pretty good job, at least at the one I go to. They all seem a little...socially awkward, but they are courteous and then don't crush my bread.

Hy Vee is moving towards self checkout too, unfortunately.

Third Eye
09-04-2020, 12:09 PM
The Hyvee near me remodeled over the summer and now has self-checkout. I imagine it's coming everywhere in time. As you scan an item, it actually speaks out the price it rang up as. Now I want all of them to do it. I know Target, WMT, etc. you'd have to look over at the screen to see the price.

I love self-checkout.

Good to know! I don’t generally go to HyVee much as I’m in between a Price Chopper and a Hen House and I have to go a bit further to get to a HyVee. Maybe I’ll stop in and take a look!

Rain Man
09-04-2020, 12:27 PM
You mean you don't do that weird creeper thing where you ask the cute cashier lady for the Magnums and then flash a creepy smirk?

You're missin' out!

"Would you like a bag for those?"

"No, thanks. I'll just use them here." (Wink.)

Randallflagg
09-04-2020, 12:27 PM
I could foresee no more checkers at some point in time - but I refuse to use the "self-checkout" machines. I don't agree with losing jobs. But that's me.

Jewish Rabbi
09-04-2020, 12:29 PM
I could foresee no more checkers at some point in time - but I refuse to use the "self-checkout" machines. I don't agree with losing jobs. But that's me.

For anyone who says “I hate people losing jobs”, why do you think every single grocery store has now hiring signs? It’s a shitty job that no one wants to do, that’s part of the reason they’re being replaced with machines.

Rain Man
09-04-2020, 12:30 PM

I understand the sentiment, but it makes me think of some platitude I heard once.

Guy looking at large construction equipment: That equipment is taking jobs away from a hundred guys with shovels.

Guy next to him: Or 10,000 guys with spoons.

htismaqe
09-04-2020, 12:32 PM
For anyone who says “I hate people losing jobs”, why do you think every single grocery store has now hiring signs? It’s a shitty job that no one wants to do, that’s part of the reason they’re being replaced with machines.

Walmart is the absolute worst. The kids that work there are flat out rude and management is worthless. The less interaction with people, the better.

Too bad they ran off all the small business that actually care about their customers.

htismaqe
09-04-2020, 12:33 PM

The places using self checkout aren't losing jobs. They're shifting jobs. More greeters, more online shopping, more curbside, more assholes checking your bags to make sure you didn't steal anything. They still have the same number of employees.

chefsos
09-04-2020, 02:44 PM
I kind of reluctantly tried the grocery pickup thing a few months ago, and now I absolutely love it. After the first few times, we have a favorites list built up with the staples we get all the time and it's easy to punch 'em in for the next order. Also, I can change my mind 1000 times before the order is finalized!

The part I thought I would hate- out of stocks and substitutions- has turned out to be a boon. Substitutions are ALWAYS an upgrade. We order a store brand that's out, they substitute a name brand for the same price. We order a small item that's out, they substitute a larger one, again for the same price. Score! I figure we've gotten $25-30 in "free" stuff in the last 4 months.

Randallflagg
09-04-2020, 02:51 PM

Possible answer? More jobs for folks to walk around a store pulling orders for people who are too damned lazy to get off their collective asses and do their own shopping.... ???

Randallflagg
09-04-2020, 02:52 PM
I understand the sentiment, but it makes me think of some platitude I heard once.

Guy looking at large construction equipment: That equipment is taking jobs away from a hundred guys with shovels.

Guy next to him: Or 10,000 guys with spoons.

I understand the idea of "evolution" of business, I truly do.

Demonpenz
09-04-2020, 03:39 PM
That would be the Amazon Murder App. Rated 1.5 stars in the app store.

Customers whom downloaded this app also were interested on the 2001 ravens highlight dvd

srvy
09-04-2020, 03:53 PM
Good grief is self checkout is considered work for you, well I don't know what to say other than what a lazy ass.

dj56dt58
09-04-2020, 04:00 PM
Place your item in the bag..ok...place your item in the bag, I did...place your item in the bag alright **** this thing.

They changed that around my area. You can just scan stuff with the gun and leave it in the cart if you want. No scan and go in your area yet?

Jewish Rabbi
09-04-2020, 04:01 PM
Possible answer? More jobs for folks to walk around a store pulling orders for people who are too damned lazy to get off their collective asses and do their own shopping.... ???

https://i.imgur.com/91sn32Q.jpg

dj56dt58
09-04-2020, 04:02 PM
The places using self checkout aren't losing jobs. They're shifting jobs. More greeters, more online shopping, more curbside, more assholes checking your bags to make sure you didn't steal anything. They still have the same number of employees.

Don’t forget the asshole with the key in electronics whose always taking a dump when you want something unlocked

burt
09-04-2020, 04:08 PM
I don't like people touching my stuff.

They must be doing it wrong.....

htismaqe
09-04-2020, 04:29 PM
Don’t forget the asshole with the key in electronics whose always taking a dump when you want something unlocked

ROFL

Rain Man
09-04-2020, 04:39 PM
I haven't been to the store in six months. We've been having it delivered, and sadly, they had a covid outbreak at our local store where two employees actually died. So I've kept my distance.

But anyway, back when I used to go to the store they'd have one employee who monitored the dozen or so self-checkout stations. It was often this young woman who was a very cute blue collar gal with glittery eye shadow and big fake lashes. You kind of wanted to like her in the unfair way that you like attractive women even if their makeup is weird, but she was so annoying that I'd grumble every time I saw her. The baskets wouldn't be organized, people would be having problems with scanning, and she'd be standing somewhere on her phone or chatting with other employees.

Apparently her job was to stand there for eight hours with her glittery eye shadow and fake lashes, because I almost never saw her doing anything productive. Half the time that I needed help she would be ignoring everyone and I'd have to find someone else, and the other half the time she'd rudely come over and fix the problem without saying a word to me. But then the last time I saw her, I had a problem and she came over and was remarkably friendly and chatty to me. It was weird. It was almost as if she knew it was her last time seeing me for a long time.

rydogg58
09-04-2020, 05:09 PM
I don't mind them, since it does seem to cut down on time wasted standing in line. However, it is irritating that the self checkout lines are usually the ones that are always low on bags. Never fails, go to self checkout and there are only like 6 bags left and 3 of them are ripped.

LoneWolf
09-04-2020, 05:47 PM

This. I haven’t stepped foot into a grocery store in three years. Too convenient to order online and pick the stuff up on the way home from work.

mr. tegu
09-04-2020, 06:03 PM
I like them. But right now I go in lines behind old people when possible as I figure if they are out and about they are least likely to be sick.

|Zach|
09-04-2020, 06:13 PM
Love self checkout unless I have a ton of stuff.

So much faster more efficient.

tyecopeland
09-04-2020, 06:38 PM

All the sams clubs I've been to recently now use a scanner on my receipt and then scan one random item in my cart and it tells them if it matches.

candyman
09-04-2020, 07:36 PM
Good lord you are a miserable guy...I told you a while back something that would help with that but you called me out and scoffed at it...maybe give it a shot and you'll feel better...

RoyalsAndSaints
09-04-2020, 08:06 PM
Only at Wally World where there’s 20 lanes with 1 open, and the “slow” fast checkout lines lol.

candyman
09-04-2020, 08:19 PM
Jewish Rabbi is a swine fellating cunt.

Dante84
09-04-2020, 09:37 PM
Jewish Rabbi is a swine fellating ****.

That.... seems anti-Semitic...

Rain Man
09-04-2020, 09:44 PM
Good lord you are a miserable guy...I told you a while back something that would help with that but you called me out and scoffed at it...maybe give it a shot and you'll feel better...

Did it involve candy and a van? Because I'm not sure that'll make him feel better.

Jewish Rabbi
09-04-2020, 09:45 PM
Jewish Rabbi is a swine fellating cunt.

LMAO what’s your problem?

mr. tegu
09-04-2020, 10:16 PM
I hate it when people disrespect the express lane of 12 items with a cart full of things. Says a lot about a person.

|Zach|
09-04-2020, 10:19 PM
I hate it when people disrespect the express lane of 12 items with a cart full of things. Says a lot about a person.

totally agree.

cdcox
09-04-2020, 10:42 PM
In COVIDWORLD, I shop for both my wife and I and for my daughter, who has her own place. I got tired of going through the regular line and having them randomly bag everything, bring it to our house, sort it, and sending my daughter's food to her place.

Instead, I prefer to go through the self check so I can sort our food into our bags and her food into hers. But I am only going to the store about every 5 days. So I am running $230 worth of groceries through the self check, with only a 4 bag carousel and a station above. I've become an expert at squeezing and piling mounds of groceries into a tiny station meant to hold less than $100 worth of groceries.

Pre-COVIDWORLD, I would go to the grocery store every day or two. I would always opt for the small nimble carts instead of the Suburban model. Always, always did the self checkout.

CapsLockKey
09-04-2020, 10:48 PM
Like someone else said, it's shifting jobs not taking them with the increase in delivery and curbside pickup trend. It's a hell of a lot more time consuming and work walking through the aisles and picking things off the shelf then scanning and bagging.

I wish we had something like the Amazon go store example, but at least at Sam's club you can scan your stuff with the phone app as you put it in the cart and skip checkout altogether since you aren't bagging anyway.

Bump
09-05-2020, 12:19 AM
I don't mind them, whatever gets me out of the store faster. I hate shopping.

Bob Dole
09-05-2020, 06:55 AM
I don't mind them, whatever gets me out of the store faster. I hate shopping.

Same here. I can be in and out in under 10 minutes.

Bob Dole
09-05-2020, 06:58 AM

I’ve actually asked a number of people how they get through life unable to count.

FlaChief58
09-05-2020, 08:31 AM
I refuse to use them to save Wal-Mart money on labor. They take jobs away from people looking to feed their families and expect me to do that job for free. If they want to knock 10% off my bill then sure. Otherwise They can go fuck themselves.

Lzen
09-05-2020, 11:05 AM
I like them. I will use a cashier but if these lanes are filled then I can use the self checkout to save time.

htismaqe
09-05-2020, 12:25 PM
I refuse to use them to save Wal-Mart money on labor. They take jobs away from people looking to feed their families and expect me to do that job for free. If they want to knock 10% off my bill then sure. Otherwise They can go fuck themselves.

They're not using them to save labor. Walmart around the country employ the same number of people as they used to. Those people are being moved to stock, curbside pickup, and several other jobs.

The idea that self checkouts lead to massive job loss is a myth.

Hoover
09-05-2020, 12:28 PM
I love them so long as I'm not buying produce or alcohol.

keg in kc
09-05-2020, 12:58 PM
I hated it at first, but I love it now, especially during the pandemic. I don't want some tween handling all my food at checkout. Bad enough it's getting shelved by people.

I can't remember the last time I had to stand in line more than 5 minutes at Walmart, either. Whereas the actually cashiered lanes are usually 10-15 minute waits.

But yes, ultimately it's all about increasing profit by shrinking the workforce. That was the reason I left Target last year. They initiated an end-to-end (read: unloaded from the trucks to the shelves) merchandise flow that was essentially an effort to cut the workforce down by a third to a half but still keeping shelves stocked. I was one of the early bottom level managers tasked with making this insane system work.

But they had to find some way to increase the starting pay for the grunts to $15/hr yet maintain profits (starting pay was $9/hr when I started in 2015. Seriously.). And that's how they did it.

Suffice to say I'm much happier today as an assistant superintendent on a golf course than I was as a GM lead at a target, even if I'm facing the same sort of "trying to get everything done with half the staff" problems thanks to COVID, and that's despite making $2/hr less now. Roughly. I'm salaried now.

Either way, Target was the worst job I've ever had in my life. And I don't think it's going to get any better for the guys working on the floor. Their hourly employees are just interchangeable, expendable pieces on the board.