PDA

View Full Version : Football Deshaun Watson gets paid

Sassy Squatch
09-05-2020, 08:37 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Deshaun Watson is signing a 4-year, $160 million extension today, per source. <a href="https://t.co/Loqz6I3Nf8">https://t.co/Loqz6I3Nf8</a></p>&mdash; Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1302253179342671875?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 5, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Deshaun Watson’s contract is worth a total of $177.54 million with nearly $111M in guarantees. Other than Patrick Mahomes 12-year deal, this is the largest total contract, as well as guarantee in NFL@history. <br><br>Asked about the deal, agent <a href="https://twitter.com/DavidMulugheta?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@DavidMulugheta</a> confirmed it.</p>&mdash; Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1302253363262881795?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 5, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Chargem
09-05-2020, 08:39 AM
Other than a larger deal, this deal is the largest in NFL history.

Kman34
09-05-2020, 08:39 AM
Meh.. Our guy is better with a team friendly deal..

InChiefsHeaven
09-05-2020, 08:46 AM
Good for him. Doesn't show the commitment that the Chiefs have to Mahomes and vice versa, but good for him.

Mecca
09-05-2020, 08:46 AM
His per year numbers are bigger than Mahomes...

Watson will make $39 million per year in base salary, on average, over the next four years, making him the highest-paid player in the NFL during that time frame.

Pasta Little Brioni
09-05-2020, 08:51 AM
What a joke. Hopefully Dallas pissses the same away on Dak.

DRM08
09-05-2020, 09:08 AM
He squeezed them for top dollar. Mahomes is making quite a bit less over the first 4 years of his deal.

Willie Lanier
09-05-2020, 09:17 AM
Other than a larger deal, this deal is the largest in NFL history.

LMAO

My thoughts exactly

The Franchise
09-05-2020, 09:23 AM
That’s a bold move tying your best years to O’ Brien.

DRM08
09-05-2020, 09:31 AM
The Mahomes deal already looked like a serious bargain for KC. It’s only going to get better as teams continue to overpay the likes of Deshaun. Get ready for it to happen with Lamar and Prescott, and whoever else moving forward.

UChieffyBugger
09-05-2020, 09:35 AM
His per year numbers are bigger than Mahomes...

Watson will make $39 million per year in base salary, on average, over the next four years, making him the highest-paid player in the NFL during that time frame.

Doesn't he have two years left on his rookie deal? Folks on twitter are saying he's the SECOND highest paid qb behind Pat.

smithandrew051
09-05-2020, 09:36 AM
Good move for the Chiefs. Keeps the Texans good enough that they won’t get good draft picks (assuming BOB doesn’t trade them for Jags). Also, guarantees Watson won’t go to a better situation.

DRM08
09-05-2020, 09:38 AM
Doesn't he have two years left on his rookie deal? Folks on twitter are saying he's the SECOND highest paid qb behind Pat.

Yes, he has two years left on rookie deal and so does Mahomes. Pat does not get the really big money until the 2nd half of his extension. That money will likely be chump change by the time we get there.

keg in kc
09-05-2020, 09:38 AM
This is exactly why the Chiefs were smart to set the market rather than be victims of it.

ThaVirus
09-05-2020, 09:39 AM
What a joke. Hopefully Dallas pissses the same away on Dak.

What were their options? You can't just give up because you don't have Patrick Mahomes.

Besides, I don't recall you pining for a new QB when we were wasting stacked rosters on Alex Smith. Watson is a younger, more mobile version of Smith who isn't afraid to throw the ball downfield.

They had to pay him.

smithandrew051
09-05-2020, 09:42 AM
What were their options? You can't just give up because you don't have Patrick Mahomes.

Besides, I don't recall you pining for a new QB when we were wasting stacked rosters on Alex Smith. Watson is a younger, more mobile version of Smith who isn't afraid to throw the ball downfield.

They had to pay him.

I disagree. Other franchises absolutely should give up. In fact, they should all be disbanded and all of their stadiums should be demolished to ensure that they never embarrass themselves again.

And I’m pretty conservative on this topic IMO.

pugsnotdrugs19
09-05-2020, 09:43 AM

To be fair, he’s probably a missed playoffs year away from being fired. Maybe even a first round exit.

Pasta Little Brioni
09-05-2020, 09:45 AM

They had to pay him.

I was all in on getting Mahomes dummy. I wanted a true MJ...not Harold Minor Watson

ThaVirus
09-05-2020, 09:48 AM
I was all in on getting Mahomes dummy. I wanted a true MJ...not Harold Minor Watson

You may have enjoyed the pick, but you certainly weren't leading the vanguard for replacing Alex. You spent many years as a good lil chiefy thinking we had a shot at taking the division, even back in the Manning Broncos days.

Pasta Little Brioni
09-05-2020, 09:51 AM
You may have enjoyed the pick, but you certainly weren't leading the vanguard for replacing Alex. You spent many years as a good lil chiefy thinking we had a shot at taking the division, even back in the Manning Broncos days.

Only because there was nothing worth pissing a pick away on. The moment I saw Mahomes at Tech...he was it

Pasta Little Brioni
09-05-2020, 09:53 AM
The announcers literally called Wayson MJ while Mahomes was across the field. One of the dumbest moments I've ever had watching sports. Think it was Romo...

Willie Lanier
09-05-2020, 09:56 AM

Seems like a fairly stupid argument to progress...

I'm not interested enough to research, but I'd advise caution considering I know you've said dumb things just as I have, hell we all have, so

Settle down Francis

Buehler445
09-05-2020, 10:03 AM

This.

I would have tried to get out.

ThaVirus
09-05-2020, 10:09 AM
Seems like a fairly stupid argument to progress...

I'm not interested enough to research, but I'd advise caution considering I know you've said dumb things just as I have, hell we all have, so

Settle down Francis

Are you his girlfriend or something? Peej is an adult. He can defend himself.

CervezaChill
09-05-2020, 10:14 AM
Watson has a glaring hole in his game which is holding on to the ball too long. I’ve seen him process plays slow as molasses and then having no choice but to take a hit or make an acrobatic play. And that is with no slouches to pass to. With D-Hop gone, Watson will have to improve his processing speed drastically or they’ll have to go the Brady quick release short pass route with a run game. Or he’s not playing 4 years without an injury.

Papi
09-05-2020, 10:24 AM
He squeezed them for top dollar. Mahomes is making quite a bit less over the first 4 years of his deal.

Pat will probably still make more if you count endorsements.

PAChiefsGuy
09-05-2020, 10:35 AM
Good move for Texans Watson is a good QB.

RealSNR
09-05-2020, 10:36 AM
Texans waited too long to trade up and get Mahomes. They got 2nd place Watson instead.

Texans didn't immediately extend Tunsil when they gave up everything they owned to the Dolphins. They then had to pay faaaaaar out the ass next offseason. Couldn't just let him walk after trading those 1st rounders and shit.

Also, they hired that weird fucking pastor douchebag from the Patriots or whatever to essentially be Bill's contract/paperwork guy. Zero experience managing a cap, making football personnel decisions, or anything else like that, but gosh darn it he gives a darn good seminar talk about motivation and work ethic!

And now the move we all knew was coming. They have no choice but to pay Watson this kind of money. They prepared for it by trading away Hopkins, and pretty soon they'll be letting go of the other remaining good players on the team because they're managed by incompetent buffoons.

That franchise is a fucking abortion. I look forward to piss pounding them in a week and embarrassing the fuck out of them yet again.

smithandrew051
09-05-2020, 10:42 AM
Texans waited too long to trade up and get Mahomes. They got 2nd place Watson instead.

Texans didn't immediately extend Tunsil when they gave up everything they owned to the Dolphins. They then had to pay faaaaaar out the ass next offseason. Couldn't just let him walk after trading those 1st rounders and shit.

Also, they hired that weird fucking pastor douchebag from the Patriots or whatever to essentially be Bill's contract/paperwork guy. Zero experience managing a cap, making football personnel decisions, or anything else like that, but gosh darn it he gives a darn good seminar talk about motivation and work ethic!

And now the move we all knew was coming. They have no choice but to pay Watson this kind of money. They prepared for it by trading away Hopkins, and pretty soon they'll be letting go of the other remaining good players on the team because they're managed by incompetent buffoons.

That franchise is a fucking abortion. I look forward to piss pounding them in a week and embarrassing the fuck out of them yet again.

Agreed. They’re well behind us, with no clear path to catch up. That’s a bad place to be.

Pasta Little Brioni
09-05-2020, 10:46 AM
Agreed. They’re well behind us, with no clear path to catch up. That’s a bad place to be.

Yup this move guarantees they will never catch us. They fucked.

Pasta Little Brioni
09-05-2020, 10:47 AM
Good move for Texans Watson is a good QB.

ROFL of course you do

carcosa
09-05-2020, 10:58 AM
I disagree. Other franchises absolutely should give up. In fact, they should all be disbanded and all of their stadiums should be demolished to ensure that they never embarrass themselves again.

And I’m pretty conservative on this topic IMO.

EVERY MEMBER OF EVERY NFL ORGANIZATION EXCEPT FOR THE CHIEFS SHOULD FUCKING DIE!!!!!!

Pasta Little Brioni
09-05-2020, 10:59 AM
It's like a less talented Reggie Miller trying to overcome MJ

Red Dawg
09-05-2020, 11:05 AM
Too much. He is not worth that and hasn't won shit. Come Thursday what will they say after Mahomes kicks their ass.

big nasty kcnut
09-05-2020, 11:17 AM
Pat deal is team friendly which means he want to win. This deal is shit for a shitty team.

ThaVirus
09-05-2020, 11:18 AM
Watson has a glaring hole in his game which is holding on to the ball too long. I’ve seen him process plays slow as molasses and then having no choice but to take a hit or make an acrobatic play. And that is with no slouches to pass to. With D-Hop gone, Watson will have to improve his processing speed drastically or they’ll have to go the Brady quick release short pass route with a run game. Or he’s not playing 4 years without an injury.

He does, but Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson have the same issue and they're well into their primes. It'll be interesting to see if he ever improves on that aspect of his game.

Pasta Little Brioni
09-05-2020, 11:18 AM
He basically demanded a contract to ensure his team can't beat the chiefs for 4 years. That's horrible

smithandrew051
09-05-2020, 11:25 AM
EVERY MEMBER OF EVERY NFL ORGANIZATION EXCEPT FOR THE CHIEFS SHOULD FUCKING DIE!!!!!!

See? I told you that I was conservative on the topic.

ThaVirus
09-05-2020, 11:28 AM
He basically demanded a contract to ensure his team can't beat the chiefs for 4 years. That's horrible

Dude, come on with this shit.

Their head coach/GM traded two 1st round picks for a LT on the last year of his contract with no new deal in place. He waited a year and was forced into signing the guy to $4m+ AAV more than the previous high for a tackle. He just traded away a top 5 WR for a brokedick, has-been RB.. and you think this contract is the reason they've got no shot at beating us? lol Watson is the only thing about that franchise giving them hope for more than a Wild Card exit each year.

DRM08
09-05-2020, 11:32 AM
He does, but Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson have the same issue and they're well into their primes. It'll be interesting to see if he ever improves on that aspect of his game.

Bigger problem with Deshaun is that he tries to run over people. Needs to learn to slide and get out of bounds more often.

ThaVirus
09-05-2020, 11:40 AM
Bigger problem with Deshaun is that he tries to run over people. Needs to learn to slide and get out of bounds more often.

That is another issue he has, for sure. He's still got that young guy bravado. RGIII never learned, Josh Allen does the same thing.

Makes you appreciate guys like Russell Wilson and Mahomes. They just seemed to understand from the moment they came in the league.

Pasta Little Brioni
09-05-2020, 11:41 AM
Dude, come on with this shit.

Their head coach/GM traded two 1st round picks for a LT on the last year of his contract with no new deal in place. He waited a year and was forced into signing the guy to $4m+ AAV more than the previous high for a tackle. He just traded away a top 5 WR for a brokedick, has-been RB.. and you think this contract is the reason they've got no shot at beating us? lol Watson is the only thing about that franchise giving them hope for more than a Wild Card exit each year.

They aren't winning a title with him regardless so...

DRM08
09-05-2020, 11:44 AM
That is another issue he has, for sure. He's still got that young guy bravado. RGIII never learned, Josh Allen does the same thing.

Makes you appreciate guys like Russell Wilson and Mahomes. They just seemed to understand from the moment they came in the league.

Mahomes had the tough guy approach in college. It was my main concern for him as he moved into NFL. Coach Reid and the others have done a great job in a short time of getting Patrick to be more careful on his scramble plays.

TEX
09-05-2020, 11:45 AM

It certainly is not cap friendly.

Demonpenz
09-05-2020, 12:08 PM
DW is great. Got to sign him. He isn't near as good as Mahomes.

lcarus
09-05-2020, 12:14 PM
I don't know who the idiot was on sports radio a minute ago but he was talking about QB contracts and how he doesn't believe teams that pay a lot to QBs can win a Super Bowl. Fair enough. But then said "For instance, I don't like the Chiefs this year. I don't think they can repeat as Super Bowl champions" I wanted to call in and tell him that Mahomes doesn't count for that much against the cap this season so his point is invalid.

ModSocks
09-05-2020, 12:15 PM
I'm kinda mad about it actually.

It means Mahomes isn't #1 at something. Fuck that. Mahomes is #1 at everything.

Kiimo
09-05-2020, 12:16 PM
I don't know who the idiot was on sports radio a minute ago but he was talking about QB contracts and how he doesn't believe teams that pay a lot to QBs can win a Super Bowl. Fair enough. But then said "For instance, I don't like the Chiefs this year. I don't think they can repeat as Super Bowl champions" I wanted to call in and tell him that Mahomes doesn't count for that much against the cap this season so his point is invalid.

What station

I have someone to shame

KChiefs1
09-05-2020, 12:19 PM

I wouldn’t listen to that show again.

lcarus
09-05-2020, 12:20 PM
What station

I have someone to shame

CBS Sports radio. Andrew Fillipponi? "Pony Express" is the name of the show.

lcarus
09-05-2020, 12:22 PM
I wouldn’t listen to that show again.

I won't intentionally listen to it again. We have 3 sports stations down here and when I'm on the road I usually just tune into whichever one isn't on commercials. Usually all 3 are. It's amazing how it seems talk radio is 80% commercials.

keg in kc
09-05-2020, 01:02 PM
I won't intentionally listen to it again. We have 3 sports stations down here and when I'm on the road I usually just tune into whichever one isn't on commercials. Usually all 3 are. It's amazing how it seems talk radio is 80% commercials.It is pretty amazing how the commercials seem to synch.

htismaqe
09-05-2020, 01:10 PM
It is pretty amazing how the commercials seem to synch.

Why is Bob Hamilton plumbing on 3 different stations?

keg in kc
09-05-2020, 01:12 PM
Why is Bob Hamilton plumbing on 3 different stations?That guy's running for congress here.

Seriously.

And he'll probably win. This is Kansas after all.

smithandrew051
09-05-2020, 01:16 PM
That guy's running for congress here.

Seriously.

I thought he lost in the primaries?

keg in kc
09-05-2020, 01:19 PM
I thought he lost in the primaries?I don't really keep up with politics. I just know my hulu stream was swamped with his ads about 6 weeks ago.

It does make me feel a little better that he lost, though, as dr. google has confirmed.

Gravedigger
09-05-2020, 01:38 PM
He’s got no Hopkins, Bill OBrien as his GM/HC, and a large contract so we’ll see what he does with it.

Willie Lanier
09-05-2020, 01:52 PM
Are you his girlfriend or something? Peej is an adult. He can defend himself.

That got a literal laugh out loud

Point to you good sir

LMAO

MahiMike
09-05-2020, 02:40 PM
He'll be a Patriot in 2025.

DRM08
09-05-2020, 02:50 PM
He'll be a Patriot in 2025.

I don’t think Belichick will pay top dollar for a QB.

RunKC
09-05-2020, 02:59 PM
Some really dumb people in here mad at this for some reason. Watson has a career passer rating above 100 and is easily a top 10 QB that is better than Lamar.

Texans QB’s before Watson were similar to ours during the Pioli era but hey go ahead and say it was dumb to give him that money

sully1983
09-05-2020, 04:03 PM
I suddenly feel so poor right now. Holy crap is that a lot of money

BigRedChief
09-05-2020, 04:20 PM
He squeezed them for top dollar.but only 4 years. I guess kind of good deal for him. Possibly hit FA still in his prime.

Red Dawg
09-05-2020, 04:21 PM
He's a good player but he commited to himself unlike our guy and Brady. He wanted money and his career will reflect it.

DRM08
09-05-2020, 05:18 PM
So the actual numbers are not too bad for Houston. Media made some mistakes in early reporting. He’s nowhere close to this:

https://i.ibb.co/4V8KpBH/2-D6567-DC-78-F8-4-A74-A63-E-E1-A299-F7-EE11.jpg

Kiimo
09-05-2020, 05:23 PM
He's a good player but he commited to himself unlike our guy and Brady. He wanted money and his career will reflect it.

Would you commit long-term to bill o'brien

Chiefshrink
09-05-2020, 06:47 PM

Yep. It's too bad OBrien will effect his overall success to some degree.

Chiefshrink
09-05-2020, 06:51 PM
Some really dumb people in here mad at this for some reason. Watson has a career passer rating above 100 and is easily a top 10 QB that is better than Lamar.

Texans QB’s before Watson were similar to ours during the Pioli era but hey go ahead and say it was dumb to give him that money

I think Watson is a baller no doubt. But W's are where it is at. Throw around big stats all you want but at the end of the day it is about W's and I think Deshaun realized well I'm tied to this coach who has ruined my team to some degree so I might as well get paid in the mean time. Hopkins trade was just irresponsible PERIOD

Halfcan
09-05-2020, 07:17 PM
The timing on this is strange. They pay him right before he is scheduled to shit his pants at Arrowhead again.

Texans have little Bro syndrome.

Pasta Little Brioni
09-05-2020, 07:20 PM

:LOL:

OrtonsPiercedTaint
09-05-2020, 07:48 PM
If he throws a pick, he can't play air guitar. Lim i ted talent

Halfcan
09-05-2020, 07:56 PM
Highest paid player in the NFL-LOL!

Deberg_1990
09-05-2020, 07:57 PM
Here’s a question:

If Watson was drafted by the Chiefs and Mahomes went to the Texans, Do the Chiefs win the super bowl?

Do the Texans win the super bowl?

htismaqe
09-05-2020, 07:58 PM
Here’s a question:

If Watson was drafted by the Chiefs and Mahomes went to the Texans, Do the Chiefs win the super bowl?

You have an entire thread devoted to this dipshittery. Isn't that enough?

RealSNR
09-05-2020, 07:59 PM
Here’s a question:

Fuck no.

Watson wilted up 24-0. He's a fucking pussy.

I meant what I said in a post a couple weeks ago. Have you ever made a non-troll post on this forum? I'm genuinely curious.

Wisconsin_Chief
09-05-2020, 08:00 PM
DeShaun is a damn good QB and deserves every penny.

Hell, having to deal with Bill O’Brien should have earned him an extra $10 million a year.

DRM08
09-05-2020, 08:04 PM
Here’s a question:

Give Mahomes a 24-0 lead and he doesn’t lose the game by 20 points. Period.

Wisconsin_Chief
09-05-2020, 10:35 PM
Give Mahomes a 24-0 lead and he doesn’t lose the game by 20 points. Period.

Maybe he does if O’Brien is calling the shots. Probably not, but maybe.

Bottom line is Mahomes changed Andy in a way that DeShaun cannot change O’Brien. Andy handed his offense over to Pat. That will never happen with Houston.

DRM08
09-06-2020, 07:57 AM
Maybe he does if O’Brien is calling the shots. Probably not, but maybe.

Bottom line is Mahomes changed Andy in a way that DeShaun cannot change O’Brien. Andy handed his offense over to Pat. That will never happen with Houston.

Deshaun had plenty of chances to make plays and keep that game competitive. A 44-point swing does not fall entirely on the coach.

chiefzilla1501
09-06-2020, 08:08 AM
If you can't have mahomes Watson isn't the worst scenario. He's shown a hell of a lot more than Dak who is overrated as hell.

But not only do we have a qb so good that a DeShaun Watson contract looks bad. We have a qb so unselfish that a typical qb contract looks selfish. Watson took a short term deal with tons of money that made signing teammates difficult while mahomes took a long term deal and found a way to keep everyone in kc. It's just unreal how lucky we are.

Wisconsin_Chief
09-06-2020, 08:14 AM
Deshaun had plenty of chances to make plays and keep that game competitive. A 44-point swing does not fall entirely on the coach.

Oh for sure, DeShaun is not in the same league as Mahomes. We all know that. Patrick is generational. I'm just saying Watson doesn't have the benefit of playing in a perfect system with a Hall of Fame coach like Pat does.

Mahomes coming to KC was really just the perfect storm of greatness.

Red Dawg
09-06-2020, 08:48 AM
That guy's running for congress here.

Seriously.

Liberal hell.

MahomesMagic
09-06-2020, 08:54 AM
Watson is a very good QB. He struggles throwing against zone D because of his arm though.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
09-06-2020, 10:57 AM
Watson is a very good QB. He struggles throwing against zone D because of his arm though.

Can we stop this notion that Watson has a weak arm cuz he doesn’t. He has torched our ass time again with long ball after long ball

MahomesMagic
09-06-2020, 11:26 AM
Can we stop this notion that Watson has a weak arm cuz he doesn’t. He has torched our ass time again with long ball after long ball

Throwing a soft lob down the field doesn't mean he has a good arm. He doesn't.

Bowser
09-06-2020, 11:47 AM
I'm kinda mad about it actually.

It means Mahomes isn't #1 at something. Fuck that. Mahomes is #1 at everything.I'm 500,000,000% sure that Mahomes is ok with this Watson contract.

Fuck no.

Watson wilted up 24-0. He's a fucking pussy.

I meant what I said in a post a couple weeks ago. Have you ever made a non-troll post on this forum? I'm genuinely curious.

That throw he made in the playoffs to Hopkins on 3rd and 4 that turned into a ground ball to third was really perplexing considering Ward was playing off on the comeback route to Hopkins. IIRC, they were actually moving a little bit on us, but that throw killed whatever momentum their offense had after that.

DRM08
09-06-2020, 12:24 PM
Throwing a soft lob down the field doesn't mean he has a good arm. He doesn't.

Deshaun puts plenty of velocity on the ball. I think his biggest issue is the tendency to hold the ball too long and a tendency to attempt running over tacklers.

CasselGotPeedOn
09-06-2020, 12:28 PM

My lord you're an idiot

htismaqe
09-06-2020, 12:49 PM
Deshaun puts plenty of velocity on the ball. I think his biggest issue is the tendency to hold the ball too long and a tendency to attempt running over tacklers.

He holds the ball because he's not great at recognizing disguised coverages. He's not bad, he's just that notch below the guys that can really read defenses.

chiefzilla1501
09-07-2020, 07:09 AM
Also mahomes personality allows him to take a lower contract. He's the face of the NFL and it ain't even close, much as the NFL tries to jam lamar down everyone's throats. He's going to crush it with endorsements. Watson is a good qb but not very marketable. The NFL has been dying for this since Peyton manning.