PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chris Simms Breaks Down The Mahomes-Deshaun Watson Rivalry

Tribal Warfare
09-09-2020, 12:20 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_vAvgeqIA4w" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

smithandrew051
09-09-2020, 12:36 PM
Rivalry? Pffftttttttt

I don’t remember Michael Jordan and Mitch Richmond being rivals

Garcia Bronco
09-09-2020, 12:39 PM
lol...what rivalry? There is no rivalry until Watson wins a Super Bowl or upsets a Mahomes led Chiefs in a game that matters.

DJ's left nut
09-09-2020, 12:44 PM
Wasn't a discussion of a rivalry. Was mostly a stupid 3 minute commercial showing us plays we've seen a dozen times.

Waste of a few minutes, gents. Absolutely no insight there. I typically expect better from Simms.

htismaqe
09-09-2020, 12:45 PM
Wasn't a discussion of a rivalry. Was mostly a stupid 3 minute commercial showing us plays we've seen a dozen times.

Waste of a few minutes, gents. Absolutely no insight there. I typically expect better from Simms.

In his new role, I expect to see a lot more of this actually.

TomBarndtsTwin
09-09-2020, 12:46 PM
Well, Watson has had more success (1-1) against Mahomes than Lamar has (0-2), the guy everyone is trying to make Mahomes direct rival.

I think Watson is a better QB ultimately than Lamar, but obviously Lamar has the better team and the better system to maximize his strengths, so he will probably end up being the ‘chosen’ rival of Mahomes going forward.

That said, if you flipped Watson and Lamar teams then it would assuredly be Watson and no one would even be talking about Lamar. He would just be another run of the mill QB.

DJ's left nut
09-09-2020, 12:55 PM
In his new role, I expect to see a lot more of this actually.

That's unfortunate.

Simms hour-long breakdown vids/pods were among the best content out there.

bowener
09-09-2020, 01:19 PM
This is just a long fucking commercial for NFL Gamepass.

ModSocks
09-09-2020, 01:20 PM
This is just a long fucking commercial for NFL Gamepass.

Yup.

That was about as shallow of an analysis as you'll ever see from Chris Simms.

Halfcan
09-09-2020, 01:24 PM
Mahomes has the edge when it counts most. We destroyed then last year in the playoffs.

htismaqe
09-09-2020, 01:27 PM
That's unfortunate.

Simms hour-long breakdown vids/pods were among the best content out there.

I know. I wasn't happy to see him taking a more prominent role at NBC. So much of that stuff is about generating ratings more than anything else.

Direckshun
09-09-2020, 01:40 PM
Rivalry? Pffftttttttt

Better comparison is Jordan and Clyde Drexler.

In "The Last Dance" Drexler was regarded as one of the best shooting guards in the league.

But then he played Jordan in the Finals and was absolutely demolished.

DRM08
09-09-2020, 01:44 PM

In "The Last Dance" Drexler was regarded as one of the best shooting guards in the league.

Clyde Drexler is excellent comparison for Deshaun. Talented guy, just not as talented as Jordan/Mahomes.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
09-09-2020, 01:46 PM
Mark Donovan is the best in the league

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NFL?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#NFL</a> teams have tried to troubleshoot fans who will be attending their games in partially enclosed suites. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Chiefs</a> came up with a solution: send OmniGene Oral DNA kits to suite holders so they can pre-test for Covid 19 before game day.<a href="https://t.co/MIhpQUZaeL">https://t.co/MIhpQUZaeL</a> <a href="https://t.co/V4tt3IhdVl">pic.twitter.com/V4tt3IhdVl</a></p>&mdash; Charles Robinson (@CharlesRobinson) <a href="https://twitter.com/CharlesRobinson/status/1303775092216934414?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 9, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

CasselGotPeedOn
09-09-2020, 01:53 PM
Jesus fucking christ. What the fuck does that have to do with Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson?

smithandrew051
09-09-2020, 01:58 PM

I’m going to disagree there. Drexler is probably a top 5-8 all time shooting guard. He’s a historically great player.

Mitch Richmond was a very good player and multi-time all star. Even a 5-time 2nd and 3rd team All NBA player. A very good player, but not historically great.

Watson hasn’t done anything to be in the historically great conversation. As of now, he’s a very good QB. He has 1 4,000 yard season. His career high for TDs is 26. He has a losing record in the postseason.

Mahomes_Is_God
09-09-2020, 02:34 PM
I keep seeing this and the "Lamar Jackson rivalry". Don't you have to be on same level of your opponent in order for it to be a rivalry?

Kiimo
09-09-2020, 02:36 PM

First thought I had when reading the OP, well done

Mahomes_Is_God
09-09-2020, 02:36 PM
I’m going to disagree there. Drexler is probably a top 5-8 all time shooting guard. He’s a historically great player.

Mitch Richmond was a very good player and multi-time all star. Even a 5-time 2nd and 3rd team All NBA player. A very good player, but not historically great.

Watson hasn’t done anything to be in the historically great conversation. As of now, he’s a very good QB. He has 1 4,000 yard season. His career high for TDs is 26. He has a losing record in the postseason.

To be fair, that TD pass he threw after getting kicked in the eye was pretty badass. I'll give props when they're due.

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uazlbVjcsHQ" width="560" height="315" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Kiimo
09-09-2020, 02:39 PM
I predicted Watson would be a bust and I have that erroneous prediction rubbed in my face every single time I watch him play. Dude makes incredible plays under tons of pressure.

He's not nearly as good as Mahomes but he's top 5 in the league no problem. If Watson was with Reid he may have a ring by now. Instead he's with O'Brien, dumbass extraordinaire

Shaid
09-09-2020, 02:44 PM
Holy NFL Gamepass Batman!

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
09-09-2020, 02:45 PM
Watson is a top 5 QB. I thought his weakness would be his arm strength but he’s proven me wrong. Just sucks he’s stuck with BOB

Mecca
09-09-2020, 02:54 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Rx_tWuHa2LM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

division, playoff and SB picks

This should make everyone happy I'd think.

lcarus
09-09-2020, 02:57 PM
Rivalry? Pffftttttttt

Hahaha. Maybe in Richmond's eyes. But to Michael?

https://image-cdn.essentiallysports.com/wp-content/uploads/20200522111152/michael-jordan-laughing-768x403.jpg

Mecca
09-09-2020, 03:06 PM
To break that down

Simms Chiefs over Seahawks

Other dude Chiefs over Saints

Mahomes season MVP
Reid coach of the year

Simms thinks the Chiefs are going to have a prove it year and be wire to wire the best team and rip off a 14-2 or 15-1 record.

dlphg9
09-09-2020, 03:07 PM
I predicted Watson would be a bust and I have that erroneous prediction rubbed in my face every single time I watch him play. Dude makes incredible plays under tons of pressure.

He's not nearly as good as Mahomes but he's top 5 in the league no problem. If Watson was with Reid he may have a ring by now. Instead he's with O'Brien, dumbass extraordinaire

Watson is so overrated its incredible. Every time something goes to shit with the Texans its always Bill O' Brien's fault. Like the playoff collapse. Deshaun sat over on the bench pouting like a pussy and played like trash, but oh its Bills fault. Everyone wants to bring up a few stupid things he did and ignore over half a game of incompetence from Watson.

smithandrew051
09-09-2020, 03:26 PM
To be fair, that TD pass he threw after getting kicked in the eye was pretty badass. I'll give props when they're due.

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uazlbVjcsHQ" width="560" height="315" frameborder="0"></iframe>

That’s an incredible play. No doubt about that.

Clyde Drexler is probably in the 3rd tier or so of all time NBA players.

Watson has done nothing to be mentioned in that regard yet. He makes some incredible plays. He’s a very good player. He’s just not in the conversation as an all time great yet, and we don’t know that he ever will be. Mahomes is already in that conversation.

Mahomes_Is_God
09-09-2020, 03:47 PM
That’s an incredible play. No doubt about that.

Clyde Drexler is probably in the 3rd tier or so of all time NBA players.

Watson has done nothing to be mentioned in that regard yet. He makes some incredible plays. He’s a very good player. He’s just not in the conversation as an all time great yet, and we don’t know that he ever will be. Mahomes is already in that conversation.

Oh I agree. As of right now I don't think he's worthy of being considered a "rival" to Mahomes. I don't think anybody comes close except for maybe Russell Wilson, but he's in a different conference obviously.

DJ's left nut
09-09-2020, 03:48 PM

I'm gonna absolutely wear this quote out over the next 10+ years, but I'll be damned if I don't just love it.

"You judge greatness by its graveyard...."

Jordan was the GOAT precisely because he made HoF level players like Clyde Drexler look like peasants.

And if Mahomes continues at this pace, when his career is over he'll have proven the El Guapo of a SLEW of guys who were getting MVP consideration and a few potential HoF candidates in their own right. If he ends up getting GOAT talk, the number of bodies he leaves in his wake will be staggering.

Health permitting, Deshaun Watson won't even make the top 10 list of guys Mahomes put a stranglehold on.

htismaqe
09-09-2020, 08:47 PM
I'm gonna absolutely wear this quote out over the next 10+ years, but I'll be damned if I don't just love it.

"You judge greatness by its graveyard...."

Jordan was the GOAT precisely because he made HoF level players like Clyde Drexler look like peasants.

And if Mahomes continues at this pace, when his career is over he'll have proven the El Guapo of a SLEW of guys who were getting MVP consideration and a few potential HoF candidates in their own right. If he ends up getting GOAT talk, the number of bodies he leaves in his wake will be staggering.

Health permitting, Deshaun Watson won't even make the top 10 list of guys Mahomes put a stranglehold on.

Look at some of those teams - he basically ended the Pistons in east. All of those teams out west - the Sonics, the Jazz, there were great players all over the west and none of them could beat the Bulls. Just crazy.

RealSNR
09-09-2020, 10:26 PM
Deshaun Watson is a fucking pussy.

Fuck him and all of the Chiefs fans who get butthurt whenever people aren't nice to him.

"HE'S A GOOD QB SO YOU HAVE TO SUCK HIS DICK AND LOVE HIM!!!!!!!!"

Any time somebody tells me, "But you just gotta root for the guy!" it makes me like them even less. I don't care if it's Watson or cancer guy RB for the Steelers or random 2020 draft pick with the tragic past. And to be honest, that was a reason why I never could embrace Alex Smith the way I did a QB like Trent Green. Trent also had to overcome a lot of shit prior to playing for KC, and he was also a really really nice guy, but the main difference was I didn't have any buttholes getting in my face and telling me I NEEDED to root for the guy.

Don't tell me who to root for. And don't tell me how to enjoy this once-in-a-lifetime era of QB greatness for my favorite team.

Mecca
09-09-2020, 10:29 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yyY9-u84RBw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

eDave
09-09-2020, 10:37 PM
Didn't watch but how in the hell did he stretch that out to four minutes?

RealSNR
09-09-2020, 10:40 PM
Belichick needs to get #MeToo'd. Or something. He needs to get Joe Pa'd and leave the NFL disgracefully so former players on TV will stop fucking talking about him like he is the only great coach to ever live.

"No disrespect to Andy Reid, but he's not Bill Belichick in terms of motivating players..."

Shut the fuck up, Rodney. It's so goddamn sad you actually believe that.

cdcox
09-09-2020, 11:05 PM
I down voted on YouTube. Send the message that we want more substantial content.

Halfcan
09-10-2020, 12:40 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yyY9-u84RBw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chris Simms and a bunch a Dbag Chief haters.

Mahomes_Is_God
09-10-2020, 12:50 AM
Deshaun Watson is a ****ing pussy.

**** him and all of the Chiefs fans who get butthurt whenever people aren't nice to him.

"HE'S A GOOD QB SO YOU HAVE TO SUCK HIS DICK AND LOVE HIM!!!!!!!!"

Any time somebody tells me, "But you just gotta root for the guy!" it makes me like them even less. I don't care if it's Watson or cancer guy RB for the Steelers or random 2020 draft pick with the tragic past. And to be honest, that was a reason why I never could embrace Alex Smith the way I did a QB like Trent Green. Trent also had to overcome a lot of shit prior to playing for KC, and he was also a really really nice guy, but the main difference was I didn't have any buttholes getting in my face and telling me I NEEDED to root for the guy.

Don't tell me who to root for. And don't tell me how to enjoy this once-in-a-lifetime era of QB greatness for my favorite team.

Everything going alright bro? You seem angry.

Mahomes_Is_God
09-10-2020, 12:53 AM
I down voted on YouTube. Send the message that we want more substantial content.

Beats Undisputed, honestly. They're nothing but a Cowboys propaganda machine. This is atleast different.

Halfcan
09-10-2020, 01:03 AM
Belichick needs to get #MeToo'd. Or something. He needs to get Joe Pa'd and leave the NFL disgracefully so former players on TV will stop ****ing talking about him like he is the only great coach to ever live.

"No disrespect to Andy Reid, but he's not Bill Belichick in terms of motivating players..."

Shut the **** up, Rodney. It's so goddamn sad you actually believe that.

Rodney is a Chief hater- he picks against the Chiefs every week. Dungy sucks too. And Florio can go fuck himself.

Boiled Chicken
09-10-2020, 05:11 AM

But if you took a shot every time Game pass was mentioned in those 3 minutes...

Why Not?
09-10-2020, 05:47 AM
Watson is so overrated its incredible. Every time something goes to shit with the Texans its always Bill O' Brien's fault. Like the playoff collapse. Deshaun sat over on the bench pouting like a pussy and played like trash, but oh its Bills fault. Everyone wants to bring up a few stupid things he did and ignore over half a game of incompetence from Watson.

I’m not sure he’s overrated as much as he’s a little overhyped, and there is a difference. He’s a good player who would easily go top 5 in an NFL QB only redraft. However, you come dangerously close to defending BOB in your post and BOB was horrible in that game. 2nd half didn’t really matter because Lombardi mixed with Bellichik wasn’t stopping the Chiefs after halftime. The pussy decision to kick the FG on 4th and short when he had his foot on our throat followed by gift wrapping all the momentum on the equally as awful fake punt call doomed the Texans way more than anything Watson did that day.

htismaqe
09-10-2020, 06:16 AM
Belichick needs to get #MeToo'd. Or something. He needs to get Joe Pa'd and leave the NFL disgracefully so former players on TV will stop fucking talking about him like he is the only great coach to ever live.

Shut the fuck up, Rodney. It's so goddamn sad you actually believe that.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Freplygif.net%2Fi%2F979.gif&f=1&nofb=1

VAChief
09-10-2020, 07:04 AM

Didn't see this one, but usually like his takes too.

He was pretty spot on the last couple of years with analysis of the Chiefs in particular. I was surprised, but not sure why. I guess I just suspected the same tired former jock rhetoric.

Eleazar
09-10-2020, 07:11 AM
This is just nonsense the media comes out up to try to generate controversy. Contrived controversy is what most sports media sell these days.

htismaqe
09-10-2020, 07:12 AM
This is just nonsense the media comes out up to try to generate controversy. Contrived controversy is what most sports media sell these days.

Pretty much what I said earlier.

Simms built a following providing insight and measured takes.

But he's now been "called up" by the NBC mothership, which means it's now his job to generate as much ratings as possible.

Mecca
09-10-2020, 07:32 AM
Pretty much what I said earlier.

Simms built a following providing insight and measured takes.

But he's now been "called up" by the NBC mothership, which means it's now his job to generate as much ratings as possible.

The podcast he does for NBC while not as good as the Lefkoe one is still pretty solid and worth a listen.