PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Ten Things About Tonight's Game: Week 1, KC 34 - HOU 20

gblowfish
09-10-2020, 10:31 PM
Ten Things About Tonight’s Game: Week 1, KC 34, Houston 20.

10. Subdued pregame scene at Stately Wayne Minor tonight. Wifey brought home Gates BBQ, watched the Royals clobber the tribe -Singer carried a no hitter into the 8th inning- set up the DVR, and kicked back with Mitch and Danan Hughes on the "Wolf" broadcast. Hughes is much better than Kendall Gammon, think he’ll add a lot to the radio team. It was just so great to have real football back again. God Bless America. I mean it, man.

9. When the Chiefs won Super Bowl IV, their first game in the subsequent 1970 regular season was against the Minnesota Vikings. Chiefs lost 27-10 against a highly motivated Vikings team and an extremely pissed off stadium full of Vikings fans. That was en route to a 7-5-2 season where the team totally missed the playoffs. That kept rolling around in my mind today, hoping that we wouldn’t come out distracted by the Covid, and the social justice demonstration, and the banner ceremony and Andy’s fogged up spit hood. I was afraid history could repeat itself since Houston blew a 24 point lead against us last year, and had to chew on that loss for the entire off season. For whatever reason, even with a sparse crowd in the stands, it was Houston who came out flat and looked like they had no revenge motivation whatsoever. They took a seven zip lead after KC had a D Robb TD reception reversed (it was the right call), then gave up 31 straight points. Houston looked like they didn’t believe they could win, and played that way.

8. I thought this would be a sloppily played offensive track meet with lots of penalties and lots of wild scoring plays. It wasn’t that at all. KC looked like a savvy world’s champion dispatching a tomato can opponent, as they should. It was gratifying. KC only had one offensive penalty. One. Houston’s penalties were few, but came at inopportune times, especially the Roby penalty that set up the backbreaker 4th quarter TD to Tyreek Hill. This game was not as close as the score might show. It was 31-7 until the 7 minute mark in the 4th quarter. Spags pretty much went into bend but don’t break mode the rest of the quarter, and the outcome wasn’t in question. It was nice to have a game where we didn’t have to sweat it out to the last two minutes or mount a furious comeback to win.

7. The QB comparison was also no real contest. Both guys threw the ball 32 times. Watson had a few more yards, but Pat didn’t need it because of CES’ day running the rock. Watson had one passing TD, one pick and was sacked four times. Pat had three TDs -Hill, Kelce, Watkins, and D Robb could have had one in the first quarter that was reviewed and reversed. Pat was only sacked one time, which is outstanding when facing JJ Watt and Mercilus -and neither guy got the sack. That went to Jacob Martin who beat Schwartz on an outside rush early in the game. Pat looked in control from the middle of the first quarter on, and he got rid of the ball in a hurry all night long.

6. Star of the game is CES. NBC broadcast said he is the first back in NFL history to have over 100 yards rushing as a rookie for a defending Super Bowl Champion team in the next season’s opening game. He looks like young Darren Sproles to me. He cuts quick, runs low, makes guys miss, has a great burst. I think they need to run Williams more on short goal line. CES got stoned and smacked around a couple times in goal line situations. CES ended up with 138 yards, a beautiful rushing TD and averaged 5.5 per carry. We still haven’t seen him in the passing game much, but we haven’t had a guy who can carry the mail like this since Kareem Hunt’s rookie year.

5. Defense played very well, and Mathieu was the star. Led team with eight tackles, and was the guy who forced the flutter ball pick to Sneed. Frank Clark has one sack and as the game went along got more and more pressure on Watson. Jones got a sack and a half. I also noticed in the fourth quarter he was running out of gas. Maybe losing Saunders (he has a dislocated elbow) meant he had to take more snaps. Sneed was first rookie corner to start for KC since Marcus Peters.

4. I was a little dismayed about run defense, especially in the first half. Hitchens looks slow to me, and tackling was not crisp. I guess Willie Gay got in on a play or two, but I’d like to see him out there once Spags feels comfortable with him. Thornhill played well coming back nine months after a serious knee injury. Ward fractured his hand. That’s going to be a potential problem until Breeland comes back from suspension. All in all, defense stiffened when they needed to. Great balance against a good offensive team. I think Watson really missed having Hopkins as his security blanket. He doesn’t have anybody now that’s nearly as dangerous as Hopkins. The other receivers are just basic NFL wide outs.

3. KC won special teams battle. Buttkicker is even stronger this year. He very well might hit a 60 yard field goal this year. It was a damp cool night, and Buttkicker was money on field goals and kickoffs. The new punter -was that the QB from Clemson?- had one good punt inside the ten and one shit punt. He held for Buttkicker just fine. He’ll get better on his punts. I’m sure he was nervous in his first NFL game. Houston’s kicker Care Bear or whatever the Hell his name is…he just sucks out loud. Why didn’t Houston go out and find a kicker in the off season? Their head coach is a moron.

2. Andy called a smart game. KC had TOP on Houston for most of the game and ended up with about ten more minutes. 35 to 25. Houston was forced to try an onside kick that was botched, and gave KC the chance to run off most of the clock inside of two minutes and kick the final field goal. That was decent time management. Most teams figure the way to beat Mahomes is to keep the ball away from him. We flipped the script and did the same to Watson. The CEH ground game was the key. Grind up clock and turf. Long clock eating drives that end in points, that’s how you fizzle out a shootout, get a lead and protect it. Well done.

1. Hey, we’re in first place! Next we get the Bolts in their new La-Dee-Dah LA crib with no fans. They're not allowing fans, are they? Andy will get a couple extra days to prepare for them since the next game day is Sept 20th. All in all a fantastic start against a decent opponent. Loved having football again, it’s just good for the city and good for our souls. Can’t wait till the next game!

smithandrew051
09-10-2020, 10:33 PM
I’m going to read this in more detail later, but GO CHIEFS!!!

OKchiefs
09-10-2020, 10:35 PM
Need some help at linebacker, even if Gay gets up to speed. I'd look at adding someone like Todd Davis of his injury checks out.

eDave
09-10-2020, 10:36 PM
First back in NFL history to have over 100 yards rushing as a rookie for a defending Super Bowl Champion team in the next season’s opening game is a weird stat.

suzzer99
09-10-2020, 10:40 PM
How dare you kick off 10 things w/o a Meesh Meesh update. And what's the other one's name - Lawyer Cat?

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
09-10-2020, 10:40 PM
Frank Clark was a monster out there too!

Rasputin
09-10-2020, 10:41 PM
I enjoyed the game without my Blood Pressure rise because we had it well in hand.

Looking forward to next week but going miss Philip Rivers throwing to our guys.

CEH game ball

gblowfish
09-10-2020, 10:42 PM
How dare you kick off 10 things w/o a Meesh Meesh update. And what's the other one's name - Lawyer Cat?

Meesh Meesh passed away in February. Neighbor Cat passed back in November. We have three new kitties. Kittens named Otis and Tony, and their mama cat Tina. Tony watched the game with me but fell asleep by halftime.

Hammock Parties
09-10-2020, 10:46 PM
This reminded me of an old-school Marty beatdown at Arrowhead.

They grinded Houston's damn dick in the dirt with that running game.

Meanwhile, QB running for his life, bad picks wobbling in the air, spotless special teams, efficient QB....very Martyesque.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
09-10-2020, 10:48 PM
I’m glad Breeland was cheering on the team on Twitter. Dude was so happy for Sneed and the defense

suzzer99
09-10-2020, 10:48 PM
Meesh Meesh passed away in February. Neighbor Cat passed back in November. We have three new kitties. Kittens named Otis and Tony, and their mama cat Tina. Tony watched the game with me but fell asleep by halftime.

Sorry about Meesh Meesh and Neighbor Cat.

I look forward to pics of the new kitties.

Halfcan
09-10-2020, 10:51 PM
Great way to start the season. 1-0

eDave
09-10-2020, 10:52 PM
This reminded me of an old-school Marty beatdown at Arrowhead.

They grinded Houston's damn dick in the dirt with that running game.

Meanwhile, QB running for his life, bad picks wobbling in the air, spotless special teams, efficient QB....very Martyesque.

This has to terrify everyone else. I didn't know how this team could be better. He is how.

oldman
So glad to see your Ten Things back, George. Always a good read.
A couple of new guy standouts for me. One was Sneed. They tried to pick on him all night and he held up pretty well. The other was Osemele at LG. After the revolving (and sometimes revolting) players there over the last few seasons, it was nice to see some hard-nose blocking.
Andy needs a defroster for that shield, BTW.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
The Texans o line is either complete ass or our d line is top 5 in the NFL or it could be both

htismaqe
09-10-2020, 10:53 PM
The Texans o line is either complete ass or our d line is top 5 in the NFL or it could be both

They spent a ton of cash and it's still not great. Fulton is terrible.

Hammock Parties
09-10-2020, 10:55 PM
This has to terrify everyone else. I didn't know how this team could be better. He is how.

The 2018 offense with even an average defense is just a terrifying, terrifying prospect.

I get the feeling we're going to see Mahomes set new records for QB rating and completion percentage. I'm feeling a 40/5 season from him coming.

cdcox
09-10-2020, 10:55 PM
I love the point about Andy’s game plan. CEH was featured, putting teams on notice. Kelce was open all night long. Watson was productive. We barley scratched Hill and Hardman is waiting in the wings. There is no way to stop them all with Mahomes at QB.

suzzer99
09-10-2020, 11:00 PM
Glad to hear they got rid of Gammon - he was pretty bad.

Great ten things - thanks for all the injury updates and other stuff that I missed during the game or didn't know.

oldman
09-10-2020, 11:05 PM
Did Hardman even have a reception? The only time I saw him was on returns.

Buehler445
09-10-2020, 11:05 PM
Care Bear sucks out loud. ROFL.

Glad you’re back George. Good read.

I can’t decide if we have nothing to worry about until the playoffs or if Houston is a 6-10 team. Maybe both.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
09-10-2020, 11:07 PM
Watson couldn’t do anything against our defense

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Deshaun Watson had limited success passing outside the numbers and downfield (10+ air yards) against the Chiefs.<br><br>Watson Passing Outside Numbers<br>➤ 2/6, 42 yards (-10.6% CPOE)<br><br>Watson 10+ Air Yards<br>➤ 4/11, 81 yards, TD, INT (-8.9% CPOE)<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/HOUvsKC?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#HOUvsKC</a> | <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/WeAreTexans?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#WeAreTexans</a> <a href="https://t.co/KyyjoRZtNv">pic.twitter.com/KyyjoRZtNv</a></p>&mdash; Next Gen Stats (@NextGenStats) <a href="https://twitter.com/NextGenStats/status/1304272584729595905?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 11, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

TribalElder
09-10-2020, 11:12 PM
yes! in!

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
09-10-2020, 11:15 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Good start! Lot to improved! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/RunItBack?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#RunItBack</a></p>&mdash; Patrick Mahomes II (@PatrickMahomes) <a href="https://twitter.com/PatrickMahomes/status/1304284447542571015?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 11, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

frozenchief
09-10-2020, 11:16 PM
Glad to see the 10 things. My favorite read after a game.

I got the feeling Andy was sort of using this as a pre season game. Play calling was vanilla-ish (not that I’m complaining) and as someone said elsewhere, this had an almost Marty-ball feel: grind it out in the ground and have a stiff defense. It wasn’t like that totally, of course, but it just felt like Andy did that almost to give people like CEH and AO some really game reps since we had no pre season.

We looked solid if somewhat pedestrian. We didn’t need Mahomes to pull this out at the last minute and I’m glad. This team looks dominant like I’ve never seen. It’s really fun to read season projections and power rankings and team analysis and see KC at the top in so many different places. Great time to be a fan.

Thanks again, George. Gld you’re keeping up the tradition.

Bowser
09-10-2020, 11:19 PM

Had one on a jet sweep play early on

Hammock Parties
09-10-2020, 11:20 PM
One thing that might make a huge difference is Frank Clark being 100% from Week 1.

God, that was a nightmare last year.

It was like he was Tyreek and he was being accused of domestic violence very fucking week.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
09-10-2020, 11:21 PM
One thing that might make a huge difference is Frank Clark being 100% from Week 1.

God, that was a nightmare last year.

It was like he was Tyreek and he was being accused of domestic violence very ****ing week.

After the game BOB said the Texans has problems with Clark all night long

Rasputin
09-10-2020, 11:24 PM

He didn't get much action. Sammy Watkins and D Rob had more balls thrown to them than anybody but Kelce had a good first half.

They just ran it more. I would have liked to see Hardman on the field more and get some action but Tyreek didn't get many balls throw his way they really wanted to make sure he didn't get behind them. That's going open up when teams try to slow down CEH. Just so many weapons. Not everyone is going shine each week but somebody will.

srvy
09-10-2020, 11:25 PM
Burnout what burnout? Nice job GB like the Chiefs you are in mid season form. Don't ever quit this!

So what was the deal with Hardman? Was he late to the stadium and in thr doghouse? Was a big mystery to me and the national annoucers never made any mention of it.

cabletech94
09-10-2020, 11:26 PM
welcome back 10 things!! its been too long!! glad you're keeping the homefront safe with your 3 troops!! your couches have never been more secure!!

thanks George, glad you decided to do this, this year has been nuts, but we keep on going!!
1-0 feels great!!

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
09-10-2020, 11:33 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Chiefs</a> top defenders by coverage snaps were strong when targeted as the nearest defender:<br><br>CB L&#39;Jarius Sneed<br>➤ 7 tgt, 2 rec, 19 yards, INT (-18.5% CPOE)<br><br>S Tyrann Mathieu<br>➤ 5 tgt, 3 rec, 21 yards (-24.3%)<br><br>S Daniel Sorensen<br>➤ 2 tgt, 1 rec, 15 yards (-3.1%)</p>&mdash; Next Gen Stats (@NextGenStats) <a href="https://twitter.com/NextGenStats/status/1304284000442175488?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 11, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Clyde Frog
09-10-2020, 11:45 PM
George, it'll actually help the Chargers not allowing all the Chiefs fans into Arrowhead West. Really glad to read that you're still doing these. Wouldn't have thought twice if you decided to hang it up after last season.

mnchiefsguy
09-10-2020, 11:49 PM
Welcome back George!

A great read.

Although i will say that the new holder almost screwed up the FG to end the half (it could have been the snap I suppose), but he recovered enough for Buttkicker to squeeze it through...so hopefully they get some more practice at that.

Glad to hear HB after the game...he was mad they gave up garbage time points. The defense looks confused at times on the field, but I think that will get better with time.

Tribal Warfare
09-10-2020, 11:51 PM
Without Mike Pennel the run defense sucked the cock

TinyEvel
09-11-2020, 12:31 AM
Clean recap.

LOL at the Dolts. Tyrod Taylor starting for them. We gotta crush them in an embarrassing way.

MeaTy The Pimp
09-11-2020, 05:27 AM
Thank you for the 10 Things G. Definitely the first post I look forward to after the games.

MeaTy The Pimp
09-11-2020, 05:35 AM
5. Defense played very well, and Mathieu was the star. Led team with eight tackles, and was the guy who forced the flutter ball pick to Sneed. Frank Clark has one sack and as the game went along got more and more pressure on Watson. Jones got a sack and a half. I also noticed in the fourth quarter he was running out of gas. Maybe losing Saunders (he has a dislocated elbow) meant he had to take more snaps. Sneed was first rookie corner to start for KC since Marcus Peters.

Overall, I think we played an okay game on defense, Mathieu and Clark did their things and were plenty disruptive. Sneed was a pleasant surprise. I hate to sound pessimistic here, but how much of that was us putting boot to ass, and how much of that was the realization that it was 'Just a Bill Obrien led Texans team' I was still happy that our Defense started out ALOT better than last season.

4. I was a little dismayed about run defense, especially in the first half. Hitchens looks slow to me, and tackling was not crisp. I guess Willie Gay got in on a play or two, but I’d like to see him out there once Spags feels comfortable with him. Thornhill played well coming back nine months after a serious knee injury. Ward fractured his hand. That’s going to be a potential problem until Breeland comes back from suspension. All in all, defense stiffened when they needed to. Great balance against a good offensive team. I think Watson really missed having Hopkins as his security blanket. He doesn’t have anybody now that’s nearly as dangerous as Hopkins. The other receivers are just basic NFL wide outs.

All I am gonna say about this on is, this defense could truly be Nasty when we get Pennel and Breeland back from their suspensions. I can't wait.

Kman34
09-11-2020, 06:09 AM
Thanks Mr. Blowfish.. Too notch as usual...

ChiTown
09-11-2020, 06:32 AM
Glorious. Thanks, George!

TwistedChief
09-11-2020, 06:50 AM
"Houston's kicker Care Bear" ROFL

God bless you, GB. Welcome back, Ten Things.

lcarus
09-11-2020, 06:55 AM
I'm legitimately scared for the Chargers next week. They aren't ready for the storm that's about to roll into town.

otherstar
09-11-2020, 06:59 AM
I was looking forward to reading this, and I was well-rewarded...as always. Thanks, George!

htismaqe
09-11-2020, 07:06 AM
Read it last night, read it again this morning. Great work!

Bwana
09-11-2020, 07:11 AM
Well done George! I expected a really sloppy game, due to the fact there was no preseason warm up games, but they played great under the circumstances.

farmerchief
09-11-2020, 07:15 AM
Great job, George! I imagine its a different perspective, viewing from your " Drive-In Movie Theatre screen", that is attached to your wall? :-)

Graystoke
09-11-2020, 07:18 AM
I feel complete now!
Thanks George

duncan_idaho
09-11-2020, 07:58 AM
Did anyone else think jt looked like Clark had a lot more burst off the end than last year? He seemed quicker and more explosive off the snap to me. Looked a lot more like the Seattle version of himself.

Jones flat-out embarrassed people several times. If he and Clark are both peak/healthy it’s going to make this D so dangerous.

Also thought Sneed played really well, encouraging sign, and liked what we saw of Mike Danna.

Also like the nastiness Osimele brings. Steal!

Great stuff as always George.

Shields68
09-11-2020, 08:04 AM
One of my takeaways is that it appeared Pat is going to make sure Sammy gets some if not all of his bonuses.

Buehler445
09-11-2020, 08:06 AM
Well done George! I expected a really sloppy game, due to the fact there was no preseason warm up games, but they played great under the circumstances.

Speaking of sloppy, do you remember, pre-Reid, how absolutely unprepared we always seemed to be for whatever conditions? It seemed like we couldn't even get the equipment right in a dome.

I got reminded of that (again) when Reid fell down when CEH juked him. Damn it's nice to be on this side of the problem.

Marcellus
09-11-2020, 08:33 AM
Nice write up as always George its nice to have no Rama or controversy in a game.

rabblerouser
09-11-2020, 08:46 AM
1. Hey, we’re in first place! Next we get the Bolts in their new La-Dee-Dah LA crib with no fans. They're not allowing fans, are they? Andy will get a couple extra days to prepare for them since the next game day is Sept 20th. All in all a fantastic start against a decent opponent. Loved having football again, it’s just good for the city and good for our souls. Can’t wait till the next game!
The Chargers never have had fans in LA...

Stryker
09-11-2020, 08:47 AM
Great job George as always! Yes football is back and the excitement is present!

Boon
09-11-2020, 09:07 AM
It was so nice to finally see a game. Feels kind of normal.
Was able to get radio and TV synched so I didn't have to listen to Al and Chris.
Nice job George, again.
Looking forward to the season and a return to some bit of normalcy. GO CHIEFS!

gblowfish
09-11-2020, 09:11 AM
This story in this morning's Houston Chronic is pretty amusing:
https://www.chron.com/sports/texans/slideshow/Memes-mock-Texans-blowout-loss-Kansas-City-Chiefs-208617.php

SuperBowl4
09-11-2020, 09:16 AM
Meesh Meesh passed away in February. Neighbor Cat passed back in November. We have three new kitties. Kittens named Otis and Tony, and their mama cat Tina. Tony watched the game with me but fell asleep by halftime.AWESOME that you named your kittens after two CHIEF greats Otis Taylor and Tony Gonzalez! :thumb: http://youtu.be/e2mjnbYWJrQ

Easy 6
09-11-2020, 09:23 AM
Thanks as always, gb :thumb:

This one played out pretty much as I expected, we looked smooth and in sync... Houston, well, did not

The only thing I didn’t foresee is how great CEH would be straight outta the gate, and my only gripe is that our interior O line once again lacks power in short yardage situations

PHOG
09-11-2020, 09:38 AM
First thing I looked for this morning after logging on. Thanks for the read! :thumb:

And Reid's shoes are still on the field where CEH faked him out. LMAO

IowaHawkeyeChief
09-11-2020, 10:11 AM
It will be interesting to see if our run defense, besides some missed tackles, really struggled or if David Johnson was '16 David Johnson, some of his cuts and stop/starts were like the old DJ when we seemed to have gaps filled...

gblowfish
09-11-2020, 10:50 AM
Great job, George! I imagine its a different perspective, viewing from your " Drive-In Movie Theatre screen", that is attached to your wall? :-)

My house was built in the 1940s, so the walls are plaster and won't hold that kind of weight. Thing weighs about 130 lbs. I made some heavy duty TV "legs" from reinforced iron bars and got a big long low slung entertainment cabinet from Nebraska Furniture Mart to set it on. It's nice. About the size of an aircraft carrier. My company puts big screens and digital signage in schools and churches and such. This one came out of one of the local school districts. Some kid was jerking on the power cord, and broke something inside. The district just turned it in on their insurance, and bought a new one. We installed the new one, and they told us they didn't want the old one and to "get rid of it." So we brought it back to the shop, took it apart. Found a couple broken solder joints on the power supply, re-soldered them, and it fired right up. So the boss gave it to me for Christmas last year. Pretty sweet gift. It's actually digital signage but its high def and works great.

chiefzilla1501
09-11-2020, 10:52 AM
Nice recap as always.

Interesting stat I just saw...mahomes is the first qb to throw for at least 3 TDs, 0 INTs in game 1. He and Andy Reid are game 1 cheat codes.

gblowfish
09-11-2020, 10:56 AM
AWESOME that you named your kittens after two CHIEF greats Otis Taylor and Tony Gonzalez! :thumb: http://youtu.be/e2mjnbYWJrQ Otis is named after my favorite Chief Otis Taylor. He's all black with green eyes. Tony is named after Mrs B's favorite Chief Tony Gonzalez. He's an orange tabby. Here's pictures of them in the litter as baby cats. They're about six months old now. We also adopted their mama cat named Tina because they were going to send her back to the cat shelter since nobody wanted her. Couldn't bear to break them up. They've all been good kitties and its been a joy to have them around the house since Meesh Meesh passed. I miss him a lot.

dannybcaitlyn
09-11-2020, 11:00 AM
Thanks George. Them rookie D-lineman looked pretty good also.

scho63
09-11-2020, 11:49 AM
Ward got hurt and broke his hand on a freak play, not really a hard hit he just landed awkwardly and as soon as he came up he was grabbing his hand.

Shame they didn't show it.

I missed Saunders injury as I turned on the game about 5 minutes in and I think he just got hurt.

MahiMike
09-11-2020, 12:30 PM
"4. I was a little dismayed about run defense,"

I figured both sides would have sloppy tackling first game in. They actually did better than I thought. The rookie CB was fantastic as well as the rookie RB.

Hammock Parties
09-11-2020, 12:31 PM
Run defense hasn't mattered for awhile now.

Not with Mahomes.

Rain Man
09-11-2020, 12:35 PM
I just now realized that Taco Charlton was on the inactive list. That's kind of disappointing to see.

gblowfish
09-11-2020, 12:36 PM

Not with Mahomes.

Three of last years losses had a LOT to do with run defense. Mack with the Colts, Henry with the Titans and Hyde with the Texans ran wild against us. After the Titans game, we got Suggs and Pinnell and things got better. But we're still vulnerable to the rush. We'll see a lot of that against Baltimore for sure.

Marco Polo
09-11-2020, 12:41 PM
Great summary as always. Favorite read after a Chiefs game.

2bikemike
09-11-2020, 12:55 PM
Thanks again George for following through with this for another year. All in all it was a great day to be a Chiefs Fan!

scho63
09-11-2020, 03:43 PM
HE'S BAAAAAAAAAACK!

Thanks GB, CP wouldn't be the same without Ten Things. :clap::clap:

Hammock Parties
09-11-2020, 03:46 PM
Three of last years losses had a LOT to do with run defense. Mack with the Colts, Henry with the Titans and Hyde with the Texans ran wild against us. After the Titans game, we got Suggs and Pinnell and things got better. But we're still vulnerable to the rush. We'll see a lot of that against Baltimore for sure.

And Mahomes was hurt in two of those games.

And in the Titans game, the pass defense blew the game.

I maintain my stance - run defense, unless it's historically bad, isn't an issue if Mahomes is your QB.

This was largely true in 2018, too.

htismaqe
09-11-2020, 03:48 PM
And Mahomes was hurt in two of those games.

And in the Titans game, the pass defense blew the game.

I maintain my stance - run defense, unless it's historically bad, isn't an issue if Mahomes is your QB.

This was largely true in 2018, too.

I'm not sure the statistics bear that out. I did an analysis once about how run defense was much more important than pass defense for Super Bowl teams with historically good offenses.

Of course, that was over a decade ago now and I haven't revisited it. Maybe I should.

Coach
09-11-2020, 03:56 PM
I'm not sure the statistics bear that out. I did an analysis once about how run defense was much more important than pass defense for Super Bowl teams with historically good offenses.

Of course, that was over a decade ago now and I haven't revisited it. Maybe I should.

I'd recommend it. I think it would open up new perspectives on some things, and a lot has changed.

Hammock Parties
09-11-2020, 03:57 PM

If your offense is elite and explosive enough the only thing you need worry about is pass defense. That's the only way another team is going to beat you.

The biggest problem the Chiefs had last year in their losses was the offense gearing down to a multitude of issues, which created the opportunity for their lackluster run defense to be a problem.

Coach
09-11-2020, 03:58 PM
Otis is named after my favorite Chief Otis Taylor. He's all black with green eyes. Tony is named after Mrs B's favorite Chief Tony Gonzalez. He's an orange tabby. Here's pictures of them in the litter as baby cats. They're about six months old now. We also adopted their mama cat named Tina because they were going to send her back to the cat shelter since nobody wanted her. Couldn't bear to break them up. They've all been good kitties and its been a joy to have them around the house since Meesh Meesh passed. I miss him a lot.

I know the pain. Me and the wife have a 18 year old cat (Lucy) who's also going through some health issues. Her sister (Gracie who was 17) passed a year ago. Both of them are grey tabby.

Glad to see that you also picked up their mama cat. What breed is the mama?

htismaqe
09-11-2020, 04:02 PM
If your offense is elite and explosive enough the only thing you need worry about is pass defense. That's the only way another team is going to beat you.

The biggest problem the Chiefs had last year in their losses was the offense gearing down to a multitude of issues, which created the opportunity for their lackluster run defense to be a problem.

Technically, I was looking at yards per attempt.

A defense that gives up a lot of rushing yards per attempt often leads to them not being able to get off the field, which reduces the ability of that potent offense to score.

That was what the stats used to say anyway. Like Coach said, new analysis might lead to a different conclusion given how much the game has changed lately.

CaliforniaChief
09-11-2020, 04:11 PM
George! Great to read 10 things again. Well done.

The continuity of the players/staff is going to help us get off to a good start. That, and the fact that we're the best team in the league.

Great gameplan by Andy, smart QB play (duh), and basically outpaced the Texans without shifting out of 1st gear.

Chiefs are scary good.

Easy 6
09-11-2020, 04:56 PM
I just now realized that Taco Charlton was on the inactive list. That's kind of disappointing to see.

Agreed, was really expecting that guy to finally blossom here with his buddy Clark nearby, pushing him to be his best

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
09-11-2020, 05:24 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="et" dir="ltr">Kelechi Osemele <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Jets?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Jets</a> <a href="https://t.co/0Bui0wg0zW">pic.twitter.com/0Bui0wg0zW</a></p>&mdash; NYJ Matt (@NYJ_Matt) <a href="https://twitter.com/NYJ_Matt/status/1304241669949263877?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 11, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
09-11-2020, 05:27 PM
Also how tf is Wharton consistently getting in the backfield while playing DT at 260 pounds

Shiver Me Timbers
09-11-2020, 05:33 PM
Great Read!
Keep em' coming
"The new punter -was that the QB from Clemson?"- LOL

htismaqe
09-11-2020, 05:47 PM
Also how tf is Wharton consistently getting in the backfield while playing DT at 260 pounds

He's 290.

He played at 260 in college. He weighed in at 280 during the Senior Bowl or Shrine Bowl, whichever one he played in.

big nasty kcnut
09-11-2020, 05:53 PM
Great read george. Now on to the next one.

New World Order
09-11-2020, 05:55 PM
Great Read!
Keep em' coming
"The new punter -was that the QB from Clemson?"- LOL

I think that was Bret The Hitman Hart

gblowfish
09-11-2020, 06:18 PM
Glad to see that you also picked up their mama cat. What breed is the mama?
She's a tortie. She's only about a year and a half old.

TrebMaxx
09-11-2020, 06:38 PM
Count me in as one that has concerns with our LB group. Overall it was a well played balanced game from the Chiefs. Nice read GB.

Tribal Warfare
09-11-2020, 07:02 PM
Due to CEH's success when Watt was on the sideline he had his hands on his hips with a befuddled look as if he were thinking "This shit's new"

Coach
09-11-2020, 07:50 PM
She's a tortie. She's only about a year and a half old.

Same breed that my mother have.

displacedinMN
09-11-2020, 08:47 PM
Thank you GB.

Houston was a good team last year. They took a step back.

KChiefs1
09-11-2020, 10:02 PM
Great read as always George.

Chief Northman
09-11-2020, 10:17 PM
Thanks George.

Are you going to any games this season?

gblowfish
09-11-2020, 10:47 PM
Thanks George.

Are you going to any games this season?

Hopefully another AFC Championship Game

oldman
09-11-2020, 11:18 PM

Not with Mahomes.

I'm going to disagree. You have to get PMII on the field. If a team can run the ball, sooner or later your D is going to wear down and your O gets cold on the bench. I'm not saying we have to be a top 5 or even 10 in run defense, but we can't be in the lower 10% like we were early last year.

Simply Red
09-11-2020, 11:46 PM
very critical points, good job on those ->

.......... 2. Andy called a smart game. KC had TOP on Houston for most of the game and ended up with about ten more minutes. 35 to 25. Houston was forced to try an onside kick that was botched, and gave KC the chance to run off most of the clock inside of two minutes and kick the final field goal. That was decent time management. Most teams figure the way to beat Mahomes is to keep the ball away from him. We flipped the script and did the same to Watson. The CEH ground game was the key. Grind up clock and turf. Long clock eating drives that end in points, that’s how you fizzle out a shootout, get a lead and protect it. Well done.

Simply Red
09-11-2020, 11:47 PM
also, I'm a horn dog

Brody Wa
09-12-2020, 02:13 AM
Thank you for the post sir. I also liked your follow up post with the link to the Houston Chronic.

Randallflagg
09-12-2020, 08:45 AM
Great read right off the bat! Thanks George! :clap:

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
09-12-2020, 09:15 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">PFF gave Texans RT Tytus Howard a 68.4 grade and Frank Clark a 45.6 on the game. <a href="https://t.co/y3wnUyB1X1">https://t.co/y3wnUyB1X1</a></p>&mdash; Kent Swanson (@kent_swanson) <a href="https://twitter.com/kent_swanson/status/1304462457335762944?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 11, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

FAX
09-12-2020, 10:55 AM
Wishkins isn't the same player without his Fairy Godcatcher to bail his ass out on deep 50/50s.

They are who we thought they were.

FAX

Mr. Kotter
09-12-2020, 11:40 AM
Another good job, George.

Thanks!

gblowfish
09-12-2020, 03:12 PM
Still shot from Chiefs highlight video from Thurs night. My seats are just a couple to the stage right of that black plastic tote on the rail.

Halfcan
09-12-2020, 05:10 PM
Several people kept posting they expected the Chiefs to be rusty- and I disagreed due to what I saw at practice. I even made a practice report how good they looked- and folks kept saying they tought it would be a sloppy game with lots of penalties. 1 Penalty and they dominated the game. I mentioned how good CEH looked and said he was hitting small cracks in the line and taking it for big gains.

It shows that people get an idea and will stick to it until they get irrefutable evidence to counter it. Before the game- haters like Tony Dungy, Mike Florio and many other "experts" said the Chiefs would not repeat. They were not a complete team. Maybe now that they see the Chiefs are indeed solid in all three phases of the game they will quit poo pooing us before every game. Practice how you want to play- and the Chiefs nailed this offseason.

Yes, it is only 1 win- but it is also 1 step closer to the SB. Texans are 1 step farther and are now doomed to come back into Arrowhead at some point if they get that far. We have a tie-breaker over one of the top 5 teams in the AFC now. And we hardly broke a sweat. We showed nothing on tape. Teams have no idea how to game plan against us. This was a big win in many ways- and the Chiefs set it up by nailing the Covid protocols, keeping the team together, infusing new talent and destroying it in the limited practice they had.

BigRedChief
09-12-2020, 05:15 PM
Count me in as one that has concerns with our LB group. Overall it was a well played balanced game from the Chiefs. Nice read GB.yeah, it’s obvious that Gay is needed. Hope he gets up to speed fast. His teammates already nicknamed him “Turbo” not just got his speed but how fast he’s picking the defensive scheme up.