PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Will the Chiefs sign a RB

Mecca
09-14-2020, 03:22 PM
Supposedly they wanted Peterson but only after week 1...about all that's left is Devonta Freeman and Lamar Miller, so does it happen?

htismaqe
09-14-2020, 03:24 PM
They've got to do something just to spread some carries around. Williams isn't good enough to spell CEH for more than a handful of carries and if Thompson plays anywhere other than ST, it's criminal.

CEH looked great but let's not run him into the ground right off the bat.

ChiefBlueCFC
09-14-2020, 03:27 PM
Why would we be signing a running back?

smithandrew051
Can an opt out player opt back in?

Peter Gibbons
Did somebody call CJ Spiller already?
If so, I have 4 as the over/under timed we sign him this year.

58-4ever
Is Evolution (Darwin) Thompson hurt?

htismaqe
09-14-2020, 03:28 PM
Why would we be signing a running back?

Because they only have 2.5 on the active roster and apparently are unwilling to call up Washington.

58-4ever
09-14-2020, 03:28 PM
Can an opt out player opt back in?

NOPE!

The Franchise
09-14-2020, 03:29 PM
They can just bring up Washington from the practice squad. And they can do it 30 minutes before the game

pugsnotdrugs19
They need to add someone as RB2 IMO.

Talent isn’t deep enough and we need to lighten CEH’s load in the RS.

htismaqe
Is Evolution (Darwin) Thompson hurt?

No, he's just terrible. He saw 8 snaps on ST.

Megatron96
09-14-2020, 03:32 PM
Andy will bring someone into the RB room before week 4 or 5. No idea who that will be. But someone a little better carrying the ball than Darrel to spell CEH down the back stretch.

Kman34
09-14-2020, 03:33 PM

With all due respect but I don’t think he’s that bad.. he’s on the active roster.. I don’t think Andy and Veach would keep a terrible RB..

htismaqe
09-14-2020, 03:34 PM
With all due respect but I don’t think he’s that bad.. he’s on the active roster.. I don’t think Andy and Veach would keep a terrible RB..

He's on the roster to play ST.

He's not a good RB at all.

Kman34
09-14-2020, 03:36 PM
He's on the roster to play ST.

He's not a good RB at all.

Then why isn’t Washington playing ST and Darwin on the PS?

htismaqe
09-14-2020, 03:38 PM
Then why isn’t Washington playing ST and Darwin on the PS?

Because Washington is even worse at both.

OKchiefs
09-14-2020, 03:40 PM
It was painfully obvious in the game the gap between CEH and Williams. Clyde often made something out of nothing, Williams was usually stopped after 2-3 yards with zero burst. It's only one game, but I don't have much faith in Williams.

Kman34
09-14-2020, 03:40 PM

ROFL..

ThaVirus
09-14-2020, 03:42 PM
If Thursday night was any indication, we can't rely on Darrell for much. He doesn't have any wiggle or burst.

DaneMcCloud
09-14-2020, 03:43 PM

Darwin Award Thompson is awful.

He has terrible vision, zero ball awareness and doesn't put any fear into opposing defenses or coordinators.

I've said this before but had the Chiefs known that Damien Williams would opt out, they would have either drafted another running back late or really worked the UDFA market to find a suitable backup for CEH because Darwin Award and Darrel Williams aren't it.

DaneMcCloud
09-14-2020, 03:44 PM
If Thursday night was any indication, we can't rely on Darrell for much. He doesn't have any wiggle or burst.

He runs the football like a guy that's never run the football before.

htismaqe
09-14-2020, 03:45 PM
ROFL..

So you think one of the best coaching staffs in the league put a guy that was clearly better at both RB and ST on the PS while keeping Thompson active?

Darwin Thompson is below average. DeAndre Washington is worse. It's really that simple.

DaneMcCloud
09-14-2020, 03:47 PM
There are guys across the league in which Veach could probably pry for a late round draft pick, so I wouldn't be surprised if he goes that route at some point this season.

I wish they hadn't missed out on Kenyan Drake last year because he went for a 5th, which is well below his value, but also understand they were short on draft picks, making that a really risky move at the time.

CasselGotPeedOn
09-14-2020, 03:50 PM
They should. Williams looked so slow on Thursday.

DaneMcCloud
09-14-2020, 03:50 PM
They should. Williams looked so slow on Thursday.

When has Williams ever looked fast?

Hammock Parties
09-14-2020, 03:54 PM
Screw this. Give D-Train the ball. Dude is pocket hercules.

Deberg_1990
09-14-2020, 04:00 PM
Devonta Freeman would work. What’s his story? Why is he not on anyone’s roster?

htismaqe
09-14-2020, 04:01 PM
Devonta Freeman would work. What’s his story? Why is he not on anyone’s roster?

He wants to get paid.

CasselGotPeedOn
09-14-2020, 04:01 PM
When has Williams ever looked fast?

He looked even slower than usual though.

R Clark
09-14-2020, 04:03 PM
That price may go down after he sits a few games

tatorhog
09-14-2020, 04:04 PM
any PS guys out there worthy of a poach?

Wilson8
09-14-2020, 04:07 PM
I believe they are good for now at RB since they can always bring up DeAndre Washington from the practice squad if they need him.

Chiefs seem to be searching for OL help at this time. Since the Thursday night game, they have hosted OT Brandon Walton (Bills), OL Patrick Omameh (Saints), OT Paul Adams (Giants, Browns, Washington) and OT John Leglue (Saints, Packers). - chiefswire.com

htismaqe
09-14-2020, 04:11 PM
What good would it do to bring up Washington?

They need somebody that can actually make a few plays and take the pressure off of CEH.

Any idea why they brought in so many tackles? Something must be up with Remmers.

DRM08
09-14-2020, 04:14 PM
What good would it do to bring up Washington? They need somebody that can actually make a few plays and take the pressure off of CEH.

DeAndre is way more of a natural playmaker than Darrel Williams, who seems to lack both vision and juke ability.

RealSNR
09-14-2020, 04:16 PM
C.

J.

Spiller.

htismaqe
09-14-2020, 04:16 PM
DeAndre is way more of a natural playmaker than Darrel Williams, who seems to lack both vision and juke ability.

And yet the put him on the PS in favor of not only Williams but Darwin Thompson.

Sorry but if Washington were actually good, he'd be on the active roster.

RunKC
09-14-2020, 04:24 PM
Call Devonta Freeman. Wait to see if he’s going to be reasonable on price. After this week he has no leverage anyway.

Wilson8
09-14-2020, 04:25 PM
Any idea why they brought in so many tackles? Something must be up with Remmers.

I thought maybe it might be more to do with Yasir Durant and his health and abilities. Yasir spent a lot of time not practicing before the season began but it may not be more than the Chiefs wanting to add an OT to the PS. We have a C Darryl Williams and a G Danny Isidora on the PS. We could drop one of our 4 WRs and add an OT.

DaneMcCloud
09-14-2020, 04:39 PM
He looked even slower than usual though.

He didn't look any different than last year, IMO.

TwistedChief
09-14-2020, 04:51 PM
The Chiefs have their most productive rushing game in forever and a random thread pops up about a need to sign a running back. Of course.

htismaqe
09-14-2020, 04:58 PM
The Chiefs have their most productive rushing game in forever and a random thread pops up about a need to sign a running back. Of course.

They're going to need somebody to spell CEH at some point. No need to run him into the ground right off the bat.

Wilson8
09-14-2020, 04:59 PM
any PS guys out there worthy of a poach?

The Philadelphia Eagles have Michael Warren II on PS that might be a possible signing at RB.

5-11, 222 pounds, was not able to run 40 at combine because a hamstring injury. At Cincinnati rushed for 1,329 yards his sophomore year and 1,265 his junior year in school. Also caught 25 and 21 passes those same two years. Had a total of 37 TDs playing for the Bearcats.

Titty Meat
09-14-2020, 05:02 PM
And to think alot of you idiots argues against signing Fournette

The Franchise
09-14-2020, 05:02 PM
Throw the Bucs a 7th round pick for Ronald Jones.

htismaqe
09-14-2020, 05:03 PM
And to think alot of you idiots argues against signing Fournette

It wasn't about signing Fournette. It was about Fournette wanting to sign.

He wanted to get back as much of his $4M base as possible and have the ability to get plenty of carries.

He wasn't ever coming to KC because KC couldn't him give him either of those things.

BWillie
09-14-2020, 05:03 PM
Supposedly they wanted Peterson but only after week 1...about all that's left is Devonta Freeman and Lamar Miller, so does it happen?

I sure hope not. I hope we sign a CB, though. I want all the carries going to CEH. Then in 5 years. We go and get another one.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
09-14-2020, 05:07 PM
Hoping a rookie rb can go 19-20 games me be criminal

htismaqe
09-14-2020, 05:08 PM

Yep.

Deberg_1990
09-14-2020, 05:11 PM

Especially a guy his size.

R Clark

Correct ,no need in beating him up like that

Pitt Gorilla
The Philadelphia Eagles have Michael Warren II on PS that might be a possible signing at RB.

5-11, 222 pounds, was not able to run 40 at combine because a hamstring injury. At Cincinnati rushed for 1,329 yards his sophomore year and 1,265 his junior year in school. Also caught 25 and 21 passes those same two years. Had a total of 37 TDs playing for the Bearcats.
I don't hate this idea at all.

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-14-2020, 05:14 PM
Where is Spencer Ware? I always liked the guy.

Demonpenz
09-14-2020, 05:16 PM
People were slurping Darwin at that raiders game even the Raiders had given up at that point.

RealSNR
09-14-2020, 05:19 PM
Where is Spencer Ware? I always liked the guy.

I'll take him for the 2 games he can play a year before he gets injured. He's a very good 2nd option

RealSNR
09-14-2020, 05:21 PM

He wanted to get back as much of his $4M base as possible and have the ability to get plenty of carries.

He wasn't ever coming to KC because KC couldn't him give him either of those things.

Well it looks like he ain't getting plenty of carries with the Bucs, either.

htismaqe
09-14-2020, 05:22 PM
Well it looks like he ain't getting plenty of carries with the Bucs, either.

True but at least with the Bucs they were giving him lip service.

The Chiefs had already made it clear that CEH was the starter.

ChiefsCountry
09-14-2020, 05:28 PM
Darel Williams showed why he was a backup at LSU.

R Clark
09-14-2020, 05:28 PM
I'll take him for the 2 games he can play a year before he gets injured. He's a very good 2nd option

Yep, I’d take him in a heartbeat

Danguardace
09-14-2020, 05:30 PM
What's CJ Spiller upto these days?

DaneMcCloud
09-14-2020, 05:30 PM
Throw the Bucs a 7th round pick for Ronald Jones.

He was their leading rusher yesterday. 17 for 66.

Jewish Rabbi
09-14-2020, 05:33 PM
Jamarl Charles available? Think how many Escalades he would get if he’s productive at his age.

R Clark
09-14-2020, 05:33 PM
He was their leading rusher yesterday. 17 for 66.

So you don’t think they’d take a 7th round pick for him? Lol

nychief
09-14-2020, 05:34 PM
I don't know why we'd need another RB. They have faith in Williams - he got 7 carries in the opener. He'll continue to get touches because he is our best pass blocking back... Darwin is a liability in pass protection. If someone goes down, Washington is next up.

Miller and Freeman are washed.

DaneMcCloud
09-14-2020, 05:49 PM
Miller and Freeman are washed.

They're both waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more talented than either Darwin Award or Darrel Williams.

The Chiefs cannot expect CEH to have 400+ touches and make it through the postseason unscathed.

htismaqe
09-14-2020, 05:51 PM
They're both waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more talented than either Darwin Award or Darrel Williams.

The Chiefs cannot expect CEH to have 400+ touches and make it through the postseason unscathed.

Yep.

Wilson8
09-14-2020, 06:46 PM
Lamar Miller is reported to be to be signing with Indianapolis Colts after Marlon Mack Achilles injury.

TwistedChief
09-14-2020, 07:08 PM
They're going to need somebody to spell CEH at some point. No need to run him into the ground right off the bat.

I get it. But did the first game tell us anything we hadn't been aware of before? Darrell Williams is at best a JAG. I didn't love Thompson's constant mental mistakes from last year, but he was a rookie and I'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I suspect Veach is content to roll with what we've got for now.

lcarus
09-14-2020, 07:31 PM
All I know is, I watched a lot of Falcons last season and Freeman was pretty awful.

DaneMcCloud
09-14-2020, 07:37 PM
I suspect Veach is content to roll with what we've got for now.

CEH had 27 touches Thursday night, which over the course of 16 games is more than 400 touches in a season. That's just not going to work, especially given they expect to play 19 games this season.

The Chiefs needed a marquee running back so desperately that they spent the #32 overall pick on the best running back in the draft, even with Damien Williams slated to return for another season at the time of the draft.

Now, they head into the season just one injury away from seeing Darrel Williams and Darwin Award Thompson as their potential starters, two guys that failed to prove that they had any business on an NFL roster other than on Special Teams.

I'm sure that Veach is burning up the phone lines looking for another back to bring in, whether it's a street free agent or via trade because they're just one injury from disaster.

TwistedChief
09-14-2020, 07:56 PM
CEH had 27 touches Thursday night, which over the course of 16 games is more than 400 touches in a season. That's just not going to work, especially given they expect to play 19 games this season.

The Chiefs needed a marquee running back so desperately that they spent the #32 overall pick on the best running back in the draft, even with Damien Williams slated to return for another season at the time of the draft.

Now, they head into the season just one injury away from seeing Darrel Williams and Darwin Award Thompson as their potential starters, two guys that failed to prove that they had any business on an NFL roster other than on Special Teams.

I'm sure that Veach is burning up the phone lines looking for another back to bring in, whether it's a street free agent or via trade because they're just one injury from disaster.

Agreed that there's no question that can't be his regular season workload. Having said that, I doubt the plan in the first game against the Texans is what Reid has as his master plan for the entire season. We were trying to develop some continuity as timing, tackling, etc needed to be worked on without a preseason. The Chiefs played a largely basic offense taking what the defense gave them and making a point not to force anything. I think Reid enjoyed toying with the rest of the league with a run-focused offense.

We went into the Super Bowl with a similar RB room and McCoy in the shadows. Replace Damien Williams with CEH and McCoy with Washington and that's what we're dealing with right now. And given that there was clearly no trust in McCoy late in the season, I'm not sure there's an overall dropoff.

And "one injury from disaster"? Our passing offense has the ability to make most JAGs off the street look much more effective than they'd be anywhere else. I have no interest in seeing Darrell Williams as our starting RB, but I suspect the team would find a way to make it work and avoid any sort of disaster.

DaneMcCloud
09-14-2020, 08:06 PM
Agreed that there's no question that can't be his regular season workload. Having said that, I doubt the plan in the first game against the Texans is what Reid has as his master plan for the entire season. We were trying to develop some continuity as timing, tackling, etc needed to be worked on without a preseason. The Chiefs played a largely basic offense taking what the defense gave them and making a point not to force anything. I think Reid enjoyed toying with the rest of the league with a run-focused offense.

Even if they reduced his work load by 7 touches a game, you're looking at 7 touches more by either Williams or Thompson, neither of whom have shown they can even average more 3.5 yards per touch.

We went into the Super Bowl with a similar RB room and McCoy in the shadows. Replace Damien Williams with CEH and McCoy with Washington and that's what we're dealing with right now. And given that there was clearly no trust in McCoy late in the season, I'm not sure there's an overall dropoff.

Washington isn't on the active roster, he's a Practice Squad player.

The Chiefs wanted to avoid this exact scenario by drafting a running back in the first round. I mentioned this earlier in the thread but had they known that Damien Williams would opt at on or before draft day, there's no doubt they would have either drafted, signed or hunted down a UDFA running back and get him ready for the season.

And "one injury from disaster"? Our passing offense has the ability to make most JAGs off the street look much more effective than they'd be anywhere else. I have no interest in seeing Darrell Williams as our starting RB, but I suspect the team would find a way to make it work and avoid any sort of disaster.

Agree to disagree.

Without an injury-free Damien Williams at the end of last season and into the playoffs, the outcome could have been very, very different. Having a stud running back allows Mahomes just a split second more to look at the field while the linebackers and safeties peek into the backfield.

Without that, you'll see the offensive line overwhelmed, much like it was early last season, because they'll know they don't have to cover or spy a running back.

And again, Reid has always had premiere running backs, whether it was Westbrook, Shady, Jamal Charles, Kareem Hunt and now CEH. If the Chiefs were to lose CEH, they'd be in deep trouble this season because there's no one else on the roster that's a threat.

TwistedChief
09-14-2020, 08:32 PM
Only two things I’d respond:

1/ I know Washington is on the PS. I guess I always assumed he was a moment’s notice to be added to the roster once Yelder went to IR. Otherwise, it was kinda unprecedented for them to have 4 TEs on the roster.
2/ I think there’s a place where Darwin Thompson is better than the rookie who had a variety of mental lapses last season but worse than the CP darling whom many fell in love with after he was drafted. They’ve seemed to give him opportunities to shine, so it seems likely they see something redeemable. I’m not willing to entirely write him off yet without seeing how he’s progressed in his second season.

DaneMcCloud
09-14-2020, 08:43 PM
Only two things I’d respond:

1/ I know Washington is on the PS. I guess I always assumed he was a moment’s notice to be added to the roster once Yelder went to IR. Otherwise, it was kinda unprecedented for them to have 4 TEs suiting up.
2/ I think there’s a place where Darwin Thompson is better than the rookie who had a variety of mental lapses last season but worse than the CP darling whom many fell in love with after he was drafted. They’ve seemed to give him opportunities to shine, so it seems likely they see something redeemable. I’m not willing to entirely write him off yet without seeing how he’s progressed in his second season.

Darwin Award Thompson is the least instinctive Chiefs running back since Knile Davis. But while Knile Davis was 6'3, 225 pounds with sub 4.5 speed, Thompson is 5'8, 198 with 4.55 speed an no vision. And Davis was an above average returner to boot, which is why he stuck around for a few years.

I'd love to be wrong about Thompson but I'm just not seeing it.

The dude just doesn't look like he belongs.

Dante84
09-14-2020, 09:06 PM
I agree, we do need a RB 2. Williams is not only slow, but also seems to float like a moth towards contact. Thompson and Washington ain’t it.

I also think we need a TE 2 for the same reasons, but I guess we are going with the numbers game there and they seem to like Keizer, so I’m fine with that for now.

BossChief
09-14-2020, 09:59 PM

He’s not terrible.

He’s limited in awareness, in what we saw last year as a rookie. At times, he looked completely lost. He was solid running the ball and even flashed the ability to be a pretty good runner, but he is mentally absent as a receiver out of the backfield. Washington is a good back as a receiver and a runner and they decided to keep Thompson on the 53 over him. The RB coach loves him.

htismaqe
09-14-2020, 10:05 PM
He’s not terrible.

He’s limited in awareness, in what we saw last year as a rookie. At times, he looked completely lost. He was solid running the ball and even flashed the ability to be a pretty good runner, but he is mentally absent as a receiver out of the backfield. Washington is a good back as a receiver and a runner and they decided to keep Thompson on the 53 over him. The RB coach loves him.

Thompson is a scrub. Washington is just a worse scrub.

Not sure why we have to build these legends around guys that are role-players at best.

BossChief
09-14-2020, 10:18 PM
Thompson is a scrub. Washington is just a worse scrub.

Not sure why we have to build these legends around guys that are role-players at best.

I don’t think anyone objectively believes Darwin will ever be a “legend”, but in college he had good “contact balance” and broke a lot of tackles. I think he can be the role player we need at the position if the coaches can get him up to speed.

I have full confidence in the coaches and they decided to keep him. He must have shown them some improvement in practice, or he’d be gone.

KC_Connection
09-14-2020, 10:29 PM
They’ll sign one eventually I’m sure. A bigger goal line back would be useful.

kccrow
09-14-2020, 10:38 PM
I'm hoping so.

Michael Warren II was a guy I pimped all draft season, so I'm definitely with Wilson on that poach.

The other I'm high on would be Jonathan Ward off Arizona's PS (He played at Central Michigan).

Otherwise, not sure about Freeman. He turned down the Seahawks, so he clearly wants a prominent role and money. Not sure he'd get either here. Supposedly has 4 offers he's considering right now.

I guess another option is giving Trey Edmunds another shot to ignite his career off PITs PS.

Pitt Gorilla
09-15-2020, 12:13 AM
I don’t think anyone objectively believes Darwin will ever be a “legend”, but in college he had good “contact balance” and broke a lot of tackles. I think he can be the role player we need at the position if the coaches can get him up to speed.

I have full confidence in the coaches and they decided to keep him. He must have shown them some improvement in practice, or he’d be gone.

Thompson is pretty strong on special teams.

Coogs
09-15-2020, 04:46 AM
Even if they reduced his work load by 7 touches a game, you're looking at 7 touches more by either Williams or Thompson, neither of whom have shown they can even average more 3.5 yards per touch.

Andy is a 60-40 pass to run guy. We ran more than we passed last Thursday. Without looking, I think I heard it was 34 carries to 32 passes. With Mahomes as his QB, I doubt Andy is going to abandon his 60-40 ratio. Those 7 (or more) touches don't automatically have to go to the backup RB's.

Titty Meat
09-15-2020, 04:54 AM

He signed for 2 mil though and the argument about getting as many carries as possible doesnt make alot of sense since they also have Jones and McCoy. Plus his numbers would be more inflated in this offense and play with a better offensive line thus giving him a better chance at signing a better deal next year.

htismaqe
09-15-2020, 06:10 AM
He signed for 2 mil though and the argument about getting as many carries as possible doesnt make alot of sense since they also have Jones and McCoy. Plus his numbers would be more inflated in this offense and play with a better offensive line thus giving him a better chance at signing a better deal next year.

He signed for $2M plus incentives that could earn him up to $3.5M.

The Bucs gave him lip service, he accepted it at face value. The Chiefs weren't going to do that.

htismaqe
09-15-2020, 06:13 AM

He played in the Mountain West. It's not like he showed good "contact balance" and broke a lot of tackles against the kind of competition CEH did.

The reason they kept him on the roster is because they didn't have anybody else. Washington going to the PS just shows you how poor the depth chart is at RB.

TEX
09-15-2020, 07:27 AM
They’ll sign one eventually I’m sure. A bigger goal line back would be useful.

I think so too and said as much before the Texans game. Forget the thread it was in but it's here somewhere. I was reminded how Williams came up big against the Ravens last year. While true, it wasn't near the goal line that I can recall.

Couch-Potato
09-15-2020, 07:29 AM
Call up BEAST MODE! He's exactly what we need!

1) RB capable of taking Goalline snaps.

2) Great locker room guy.

3) Andy could win the SB by handing Beast Mode the rock on the 1 and showing Caroll how it's done.

DaneMcCloud
09-15-2020, 09:34 AM

Dude, if Thompson isn't "up to speed" after going through Minicamps, OTA's, two training camps, 24 games (including last year's preseason), he'll never be up to speed.

If the guy was a sub 4.5 guy, his lack of vision may be less apparent but at 4.55, it's like he needs lines drawn on the field to direct him where to go because you can see him thinking in real-time, which makes him even slower.

htismaqe
09-15-2020, 09:38 AM
Dude, if Thompson isn't "up to speed" after going through Minicamps, OTA's, two training camps, 24 games (including last year's preseason), he'll never be up to speed.

If the guy was a sub 4.5 guy, his lack of vision may be less apparent but at 4.55, it's like he needs lines drawn on the field to direct him where to go because you can see him thinking in real-time, which makes him even slower.

Yep.

DJ's left nut
09-15-2020, 09:44 AM

I don't think his vision is THAT bad. He's not Knile Davis back there.

I think his biggest issue is that the Chiefs just don't trust him in pass pro. Getting absolutely flattened by Derron Lee in camp last season was an ominous sign - Lee ain't exactly a mauler out there.

So they won't use him in 'regular' situations. Even when he got his carries last season, it was largely in 'work the clock' situations where stacked boxes will make anyone's vision look spotty.

He needs to be a guy that you can have on the field in situations where 6 or 7 man boxes will allow him to pick his way forward a bit. But he can't BE that guy if he can't pass protect. I think ultimately the Chiefs thought he'd demonstrate the skills to be a dynamic 3rd down back with some wiggle in early down situations if need be. But he's just such a liability in pass protection that you can't use him in those roles.

So he's shoehorned into obvious run situations and he's neither fast enough or powerful enough to be effective there.

If he can't get to at least average in pass pro, he's on his way out of the league. I don't think his vision is so poor as to be a deal breaker for him, but his weaknesses all dovetail into a foundation that you just can't really build on.

htismaqe
09-15-2020, 09:46 AM
I don't think his vision is THAT bad. He's not Knile Davis back there.

I think his biggest issue is that the Chiefs just don't trust him in pass pro. Getting absolutely flattened by Derron Lee in camp last season was an ominous sign - Lee ain't exactly a mauler out there.

So they won't use him in 'regular' situations. Even when he got his carries last season, it was largely in 'work the clock' situations where stacked boxes will make anyone's vision look spotty.

He needs to be a guy that you can have on the field in situations where 6 or 7 man boxes will allow him to pick his way forward a bit. But he can't BE that guy if he can't pass protect. I think ultimately the Chiefs thought he'd demonstrate the skills to be a dynamic 3rd down back with some wiggle in early down situations if need be. But he's just such a liability in pass protection that you can't use him in those roles.

So he's shoehorned into obvious run situations and he's neither fast enough or powerful enough to be effective there.

If he can't get to at least average in pass pro, he's on his way out of the league. I don't think his vision is so poor as to be a deal breaker for him, but his weaknesses all dovetail into a foundation that you just can't really build on.

That's fair.

Simply Red
09-15-2020, 09:58 AM

did they re-sign Washington? He was released on 09-05

DaneMcCloud
09-15-2020, 10:02 AM
did they re-sign Washington? He was released on 09-05

He's on the Practice Squad

Simply Red
09-15-2020, 10:03 AM
He's on the Practice Squad

oh okay, gotcha. Hope all is well there and you're staying safe.

Shoes
09-15-2020, 10:19 AM
I think last Thursday proved CEH's talent is undeniable but for this Chiefs team the main goal is to be fresh and all cylinders firing around playoff time. I don't foresee CEH being able to maintain 20-25+ touches for 16 weeks. Gotta limit his carries during the season and set him free for playoffs.

1 of 2 things need to happen, they allow Darrel Williams to touch the ball more often or they sign a veteran RB who they trust more.

RealSNR
09-15-2020, 11:54 AM
Williams is slow, but he was a good chain mover last year. I can’t remember any carries he got in which he failed to convert.

We should still get another RB, but I don’t think we need a goal line back or anybody like that. Just get a guy who can take some carries off Clyde’s back and doesn’t completely suck

chinaski
09-15-2020, 11:56 AM
Spencer Ware is available.

Megatron96
09-15-2020, 11:59 AM
Spencer Ware is available.

Is Spencer actually healthy enough to play? I thought he was still rehabbing or recovering. Overall, I'd much rather have Ware backing up CEH. He's a little better runner than Darrel, as good or better a receiver, and at least as good a blocker.

DaneMcCloud
09-15-2020, 12:15 PM
Is Spencer actually healthy enough to play? I thought he was still rehabbing or recovering. Overall, I'd much rather have Ware backing up CEH. He's a little better runner than Darrel, as good or better a receiver, and at least as good a blocker.

Spencer Ware is 1,000 times better than either Darrel Williams and Darwin Award Thompson and it's not even fucking close.

He's an excellent blocker, runner, receiver and very slippery for a man his size. If he was healthy and on the Chiefs roster, I'd have no issues with the current running back group but I don't think he's healthy enough to play in the NFL at this point in time.

DJ's left nut
09-15-2020, 12:42 PM
Ware looked even slower than Darrel last year.

Healthy or not, he looked like a dude that was flat out done last season. Maybe Darrel Williams is a 'never was' but Ware has all the earmarks of a 'has been'. He's more than a couple steps slower than the Ware that made his name here. I don't think he has the threshhold athleticism necessary to be a runningback in this league anymore.

Now if you're content w/ using any touch he gets as a placeholder that's not really designed to do anything other than give CEH a break, then his reliability in pass pro may make him a useful option. Even then, it's not in a true '3rd down back' role because I think he's too slow to be of use out of the backfield.

I'd rather give Williams a few more carries to see what his ceiling can be. I'd rather see if he can be a guy that gives you 100 carries at 3.75 yards/carry and can occasionally move a pile.

Because I'm pretty convinced that Ware isn't that guy at this stage of his career. He looked REALLY awful last season. I mean shockingly bad. There was a reason a Colts team with an unsettled running back situation cut him out of camp and then he stayed unsigned. The guy's washed.

DaneMcCloud
09-15-2020, 12:49 PM
Because I'm pretty convinced that Ware isn't that guy at this stage of his career. He looked REALLY awful last season. I mean shockingly bad. There was a reason a Colts team with an unsettled running back situation cut him out of camp and then he stayed unsigned. The guy's washed.

He may be too beat up by injuries to play in the NFL again but I'd take 2015-2018 Spencer Ware any day of the week over Darrel Williams or Darwin Award.

I don't think the Chiefs need a #2 Feature Back but a guy like the old Spencer Ware getting 7-10 touches per game would be ideal.

Mecca
09-15-2020, 12:52 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I just spoke to RB Devonta Freeman. He told me as of right now, he prefers to wait at least one more week to evaluate his options, because for him it&#39;s more important to have the opportunity to compete within his position group.</p>&mdash; IG: JosinaAnderson (@JosinaAnderson) <a href="https://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson/status/1305893022094233600?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 15, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

DJ's left nut
09-15-2020, 01:00 PM
He may be too beat up by injuries to play in the NFL again but I'd take 2015-2018 Spencer Ware any day of the week over Darrel Williams or Darwin Award.

I don't think the Chiefs need a #2 Feature Back but a guy like the old Spencer Ware getting 7-10 touches per game would be ideal.

No question - I'd LOVE to get that version of him. He'd be absolutely perfect. His performance in what was effectively his swan song against the Ravens was incredible. The dude was just running his ass off out there. And he'd been doing it for a couple weeks at that point - he was running mean and aggressive. He was powerful and decisive and was a perfect #2 RB.

But he gone. I mean he was effectively a year removed from that Ravens injury when he got his shot here last year and there was NOTHING.

I'm going to take this opportunity to stump for Mike Boone (again) or Gus Edwards. Ravens would never give us Edwards (who I think can be a 1,200 yard back somewhere) but Boone's buried in MN. I'm not sure he's even their 3rd RB.

I've been calling for that guy since I watched him in pre-season in 2019. He is absolutely an NFL caliber player. I'd flip a day 3 pick to MN for him. He's an RFA next season w/ no track record to speak of so you can probably get him on a fairly cheap little 2 year extension and you'd have damn nice complementary backs through 2022.

DaneMcCloud
09-15-2020, 01:53 PM
No question - I'd LOVE to get that version of him. He'd be absolutely perfect. His performance in what was effectively his swan song against the Ravens was incredible. The dude was just running his ass off out there. And he'd been doing it for a couple weeks at that point - he was running mean and aggressive. He was powerful and decisive and was a perfect #2 RB.

But he gone.

And it's just such a damn shame.

I personally LOVED Ware's running style because he was so powerful yet so slippery and was fantastic as a receiver as well. It was also pretty obvious that both he and Charcandrick were great lockerroom guys that were loved by all but unfortunately, both suffered similar fates due to injuries.

All that said, I'm certain Brett Veach is scouring practice squads and rosters across the league because if we're seeing it, he's already working on a solution.

DJ's left nut
09-15-2020, 02:03 PM
And it's just such a damn shame.

I personally LOVED Ware's running style because he was so powerful yet so slippery and was fantastic as a receiver as well. It was also pretty obvious that both he and Charcandrick were great lockerroom guys that were loved by all but unfortunately, both suffered similar fates due to injuries.

All that said, I'm certain Brett Veach is scouring practice squads and rosters across the league because if we're seeing it, he's already working on a solution.

It really is - for his sake.

He simply stole a job in the league. Top 20 national prospect, one of the premier RB recruits in football, goes to an ascending powerhouse in LSU and almost immediately gets layered and battles injuries. Made a poor decision to leave early, gets cut, ends up on a PS....I mean we've seen this story 1000 times and it always goes poorly.

But he just kept working and made himself a valuable NFL player. And in the end he made $6 million playing football so it's not as though he wasn't rewarded for his efforts.

But you do have to wonder what happens if he doesn't hurt his knee in '17 or even if he could've stayed healthy in '18. He looked a lot like his '16 self in that Ravens game after we moved on from Hunt and was a pending FA. Could he have gotten one last deal for $4 million/yr for a couple of years if he's able to keep the wheels on? What if he's the guy he looked like against Baltimore through the post-season?

But ultimately health is a skill and Ware has simply never had it. Dude just aged in dog years.

Skyy God
09-15-2020, 02:08 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I just spoke to RB Devonta Freeman. He told me as of right now, he prefers to wait at least one more week to evaluate his options, because for him it&#39;s more important to have the opportunity to compete within his position group.</p>&mdash; IG: JosinaAnderson (@JosinaAnderson) <a href="https://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson/status/1305893022094233600?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 15, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

His YPC really fell off a cliff last year (3.6), but I bet he'd play better behind the Chiefs OL.

I'd take him for $2M plus incentives.

Oh, and he's probably waiting to see if teams get desparate due to injuries.

htismaqe
09-15-2020, 02:50 PM
His YPC really fell off a cliff last year (3.6), but I bet he'd play better behind the Chiefs OL.

I'd take him for $2M plus incentives.

Oh, and he's probably waiting to see if teams get desparate due to injuries.

"It's more important to have the opportunity to compete within his position group" is just a polite way to say "I want to be the feature back, gimme the damn ball."

lcarus
09-15-2020, 02:52 PM
Is it possible for Damien Williams to come back if he wanted to? Not saying he would, but if for whatever reason he decided all of a sudden he wanted to play, could he? I don't know what the rules are for players who opted out before the season.

htismaqe
09-15-2020, 02:55 PM
Nope. Once they've opted out, they're out until 2021.

O.city
09-15-2020, 03:01 PM
If the Jets would eat most of his salary, LeVeon could probably be had.

DaneMcCloud
09-15-2020, 03:30 PM
If the Jets would eat most of his salary, LeVeon could probably be had.

That would be an epic disaster.

The Chiefs don't need another feature back, they just need a productive and reliable #2, which they had in Damien Williams but now, they've got nothing other than a couple of guys that haven't shown they belong in the league.

Leveon Bell would destroy this lockerroom with his bullshit.

O.city
09-15-2020, 03:51 PM
That would be an epic disaster.

The Chiefs don't need another feature back, they just need a productive and reliable #2, which they had in Damien Williams but now, they've got nothing other than a couple of guys that haven't shown they belong in the league.

Leveon Bell would destroy this lockerroom with his bullshit.

Possibly.

Or he could fit right in and do well.

Probably not worth the risk TBH. But he could be had cheap and could spell CEH decently.

chiefzilla1501
09-15-2020, 04:01 PM
Surprised to see some of these names still out there. Obviously there's lamar Miller and devonta Freeman. But for cheap there's also...

Bilal powell
Jeremy hill
Isiaiah crowell (depending on injury status)
Buck allen

Not that these are great options. But if we're seeking experienced options...

Skyy God
09-15-2020, 04:03 PM
"It's more important to have the opportunity to compete within his position group" is just a polite way to say "I want to be the feature back, gimme the damn ball."

It’s a polite way to say he wants more $$$.

DaneMcCloud
09-15-2020, 04:11 PM
Possibly.

Or he could fit right in and do well.

Probably not worth the risk TBH. But he could be had cheap and could spell CEH decently.

I don't think it would be even remotely wise to move heaven and earth to bring constantly disgruntled Leveon Bell in to backup CEH.

I mean, good God, you're suggesting that the Chiefs throw a freaking grenade into their lockeroom in the hopes that he might work out.

DaneMcCloud
09-15-2020, 04:13 PM
Surprised to see some of these names still out there. Obviously there's lamar Miller and devonta Freeman. But for cheap there's also...

Bilal powell
Jeremy hill
Isiaiah crowell (depending on injury status)
Buck allen

Not that these are great options. But if we're seeking experienced options...

I wouldn't touch any of those guys outside of maybe Freeman.

Veach needs to be looking at Practice Squads and rosters across the league for a guy on a minimal contract that would fit this offense quickly.

RealSNR
09-15-2020, 04:46 PM
What’s Carlos Hyde up to these days?

PattyFlakes
09-15-2020, 04:50 PM
What’s Carlos Hyde up to these days?

He's the number 2 back in Seattle.

Chiefshrink
09-15-2020, 05:09 PM
He runs the football like a guy that's never run the football before.

This is why you don't have 'football eyes' whatsoever and probably never played the game. They are 2 different type of backs for different game situations. You can't compare Darrell to Clyde.

Good Grief !!(Dane McDouche phrase)

Now with that said, I have no problem with them picking some other veteran up that matches our offense.

Chris Meck
09-15-2020, 07:41 PM
we've got 3 on the roster and a 4th on the practice squad.

Nope.

htismaqe
09-15-2020, 07:44 PM
we've got 3 on the roster and a 4th on the practice squad.

Nope.

We've got 2.5 on the roster and nothing on the practice squad. If Washington could get a spot over Thompson, he's pretty much worthless.

We need better depth, it's not just about numbers.

DaneMcCloud
09-15-2020, 07:53 PM
This is why you don't have 'football eyes' whatsoever and probably never played the game. They are 2 different type of backs for different game situations. You can't compare Darrell to Clyde.

Now with that said, I have no problem with them picking some other veteran up that matches our offense.

https://duckofminerva.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/duck_jokes_l2-e1547039142914.jpg

DaneMcCloud
09-15-2020, 07:55 PM
We've got 2.5 on the roster and nothing on the practice squad. If Washington could get a spot over Thompson, he's pretty much worthless.

Yep

DaneMcCloud
09-15-2020, 07:57 PM

Says the Buttfucking Moron that repeatedly Downvoted my posts pre-draft in which I said the Chiefs biggest need was running back and that the Chiefs would draft one early.

You're never right about anything, you fucking phony.

Chris Meck
09-15-2020, 07:57 PM

I'm not going to argue with Reid and Bienemy.

They're obviously okay with Darwin being #3.

Washington is on the practice squad, so obviously they felt okay about that too.

I think they've earned the right for me to not second guess them.

htismaqe
09-15-2020, 08:05 PM
I'm not going to argue with Reid and Bienemy.

They're obviously okay with Darwin being #3.

Washington is on the practice squad, so obviously they felt okay about that too.

I think they've earned the right for me to not second guess them.

Can't say I disagree with that. Then again, if we do that every time, we're going to run out of things to talk about. :)

Mecca
09-15-2020, 08:06 PM
The thing is, they are looking. They contacted Peterson and Fournette, obviously they feel something needs to be done.

DaneMcCloud
09-15-2020, 08:07 PM
The thing is, they are looking. They contacted Peterson a Fournette, obviously they feel something needs to be done.

Of course they're looking. It's the Brett Veach way to continually scour every resource in order to improve the 53.

Chris Meck
09-15-2020, 08:09 PM
yeah I think the fact that they're looking is just a constant thing and not really an indication that they think there's a big problem.

DaneMcCloud
09-15-2020, 08:29 PM
yeah I think the fact that they're looking is just a constant thing and not really an indication that they think there's a big problem.

I think the simple fact that they reached out to Fournette and Peterson's people shows their concern and rightly so.

Buehler445
09-16-2020, 06:40 AM
I'm with Dane in that CEH can't take all the snaps.

I'd be super surprised if Reid runs as much in 2020 as he did in game 1. Regardless, it's a bad idea to make him field all of the carries, whatever the numbers end up being.

This is Buehler going beyond speculating, but I'm guessing They wanted to focus on CEH to get him up to speed. There wasn't a preseason, and once they figured out Houston wasn't able to hang, Reid played this like a preseason game. I really doubt this is how we'll look in week 8. But I'm thinking the gameplan was specifically to get their first rounder reps. They pretty much know what they have in Williams, who would be my guess for the backup and Thompson is the third guy. Totally unsubstantiated guess is that Williams will have a set of plays in typical gameplans until something changes.

I kinda liked Darrel after Damien got hurt and before Darrel got hurt, but I think I'm the only guy. I'm certainly unwilling to die on that hill. And Dane brings up some really good points about the timing of Damien's opt out. But if they were really desperate, I'd think they could poach a PS player (as long as that's still a thing - I'm pretty sure it is as long as they aren't protected). I don't know much about any of the PS players, but I'm sure Veach does. If he's truly terrified of the prospect of Thompson getting snaps, they'd have picked someone up, stuck Yelder or Thompson on PS.

But I'm not dying on that hill either.

RealSNR
09-16-2020, 10:22 AM
You know... all this talk about previous Chiefs RBs in this offense makes me wonder...

We've had some crappy crappy crappy backup RBs over the years. Even when our starter was the toast of the NFL, we often had just dumb and shitty backups. His 4 TD Atlanta game aside, what the hell was Derrick Blaylock ever good for? Mike Cloud was absolute garbage. Jackie Battle? Neat name, but terrible player. I really really wanted to like Cyrus the Virus Gray, but crap was he ever a shitty player.

I also think that while Bieniemy/McCullough are some of the best in the business at coaching RBs, and while our pro personnel scouts have hit home runs with Spencer Ware and Damien Williams, I think a huge portion of our success at plugging just about any ol' asshole in as the starter under Andy Reid has to do with his ability to scheme up plays that they are most successful at doing and letting them go to work.

Do you think any of those crap RBs from the days of yore would have been decent if they played in an Andy Reid system?

LoneWolf
09-16-2020, 10:26 AM

That's not very christian of you.

big nasty kcnut
09-16-2020, 10:39 AM
We'll be fine.

R Clark
09-16-2020, 10:44 AM
You know... all this talk about previous Chiefs RBs in this offense makes me wonder...

We've had some crappy crappy crappy backup RBs over the years. Even when our starter was the toast of the NFL, we often had just dumb and shitty backups. His 4 TD Atlanta game aside, what the hell was Derrick Blaylock ever good for? Mike Cloud was absolute garbage. Jackie Battle? Neat name, but terrible player. I really really wanted to like Cyrus the Virus Gray, but crap was he ever a shitty player.

I also think that while Bieniemy/McCullough are some of the best in the business at coaching RBs, and while our pro personnel scouts have hit home runs with Spencer Ware and Damien Williams, I think a huge portion of our success at plugging just about any ol' asshole in as the starter under Andy Reid has to do with his ability to scheme up plays that they are most successful at doing and letting them go to work.

Do you think any of those crap RBs from the days of yore would have been decent if they played in an Andy Reid system?

That’s a long list of suck at RB

Shoes
09-16-2020, 10:48 AM

How dare you talk shit about Jackie Battle, in 2011 we went 5-3 when Jackie had 10+ rushing attempts.

Your point is well taken though, Damien Williams was cut from the Miami Dolphins and has been great for us. Spencer Ware flirted with ~1000 yards rushing when he was our main running back as well (cut by Seattle), I doubt he would have done that anywhere else. Andy Reid is going to get the most out of any JAG running back they plug in. I think that's a big reason why some fans here cringed a little at taking a running back in the first round, but we witnessed how potent the offense was back in 2018 when we had a premier starting running back.

I imagine a few careers of players of past would have been different if they didn't have to endure the carousel of shit head coaches.

Chris Meck
09-16-2020, 10:48 AM

and most of it is 3 regimes ago, so what does that have to do with anything?

DJ's left nut
09-16-2020, 10:49 AM

We forget to play the 'it's all relative' game pretty much every year.

All the hand-wringing over the Chiefs O-Line because we don't have 5 all-pros is funny. The Chiefs O-Line is as well situated as all but maybe 3-5 groups in the league. It's a damn good line and we have people freaking out. Every team in the league has to cut corners at a spot or 3 on the OL - the Chiefs are better than most there.

I think the secondary is largely in the same spot. Speaks/Ward is a solid CB pair. The safeties may be the best duo on football. But because we don't have 4 starting caliber CBs (and hell, we just might), people wanted to freak out.

The only position group where we're clearly deficient related to the rest of the league is LB. And yeah, it sucks. Hitchens is an average linebacker, maybe a tick below. Wilson is probably a bit below average but not garbage. And we really barely even have a 3rd LBer. It's just not a great group but it's also our least important area.

And now people are freaking out about needing an upgrade at RB2 - guys, damn near EVERYONE'S RB2 kinda sucks. Sure, there are some teams that have dudes like Mattison, but those are teams that are going to lean more heavily into their run game.

The Chiefs can absolutely get by with Darrel as RB2. Is it perfect? Nah, but it's not a disaster scenario either. As SNR noted - Reid is an artist - you give him a tuba and he'll get something out of it.

Shoes
09-16-2020, 11:01 AM

All the hand-wringing over the Chiefs O-Line because we don't have 5 all-pros is funny. The Chiefs O-Line is as well situated as all but maybe 3-5 groups in the league. It's a damn good line and we have people freaking out. Every team in the league has to cut corners at a spot or 3 on the OL - the Chiefs are better than most there.

I think the secondary is largely in the same spot. Speaks/Ward is a solid CB pair. The safeties may be the best duo on football. But because we don't have 4 starting caliber CBs (and hell, we just might), people wanted to freak out.

The only position group where we're clearly deficient related to the rest of the league is LB. And yeah, it sucks. Hitchens is an average linebacker, maybe a tick below. Wilson is probably a bit below average but not garbage. And we really barely even have a 3rd LBer. It's just not a great group but it's also our least important area.

And now people are freaking out about needing an upgrade at RB2 - guys, damn near EVERYONE'S RB2 kinda sucks. Sure, there are some teams that have dudes like Mattison, but those are teams that are going to lean more heavily into their run game.

The Chiefs can absolutely get by with Darrel as RB2. Is it perfect? Nah, but it's not a disaster scenario either. As SNR noted - Reid is an artist - you give him a tuba and he'll get something out of it.

“Not all of Mozart's paintings were perfect! The end result, though, is that sucker's gonna sell for a million dollars!” - Andy Reid

O.city
09-16-2020, 11:50 AM
The jets are awful, flip them a 6th for frank gore

htismaqe
09-16-2020, 11:54 AM

Gore is actually part of their depth chart. They'd rather jettison Bell but can't.

lcarus
09-16-2020, 11:56 AM
Everyone doesn't like Thompson because he was lost out there a lot last season as a rookie, but he ran hard as fuck with the few carries he got. I'd like to see if he's progressed this season. Lord knows this coaching staff can get the most out of a RB.

Titty Meat
09-16-2020, 12:06 PM
People forget we won 11 games in a row with guys named Charcandrick West who always sucked and Spencer Ware who turned out to be decent. That was with Alex Smith at QB.

Well be alright folks

htismaqe
09-16-2020, 12:07 PM
Everyone doesn't like Thompson because he was lost out there a lot last season as a rookie, but he ran hard as fuck with the few carries he got. I'd like to see if he's progressed this season. Lord knows this coaching staff can get the most out of a RB.

I don't care for Thompson because his ceiling is a novelty back and ST player. Him looking lost just exacerbates the problem.

DJ's left nut
09-16-2020, 12:09 PM

WHAT IS WITH YOUR FASCINATION FOR MAKING TRADES FOR SHITTY OLD RBS!?!?!?

At least you didn't offer a 2nd, though.

Again - Mike mothafuckin' Boone. The kid can play.

Toad
09-16-2020, 12:11 PM
“Not all of Mozart's paintings were perfect! The end result, though, is that sucker's gonna sell for a million dollars!” - Andy Reid

He seriously said that? That’s good stuff

RealSNR
09-16-2020, 12:11 PM
People forget we won 11 games in a row with guys named Charcandrick West who always sucked and Spencer Ware who turned out to be decent. That was with Alex Smith at QB.

Well be alright folks

Arguably our worst team of the Andy Reid era was the 2014 team. Injuries to DJ and Eric Berry and a few other important starters. And we went into the season with Mike freaking McGlynn as our starter at LG.

I think there was one game where Charles and Knile Davis were both out. The RB of the day? Joe McKnight. And the weird part is he actually looked really freaking good... up until HE got injured.

There's no doubt in my mind if McKnight stayed healthy that he'd also be a name we remember in that line of Andy Reid backup RBs who weren't necessarily awesome, but they weren't terrible either.

bobhill
09-16-2020, 12:34 PM
You Joe McKnight died right?

RealSNR
09-16-2020, 12:40 PM
You Joe McKnight died right?

I did know that. Forgot about it, though.

I didn't mean Joe McKnight would still be playing today. I mean if he weren't hurt, we'd probably remember him like we remember Charcandrick West awhile ago.

Megatron96
09-16-2020, 12:59 PM
He seriously said that? That’s good stuff

https://youtu.be/loDZTXlG_vQ?t=102

Was actually pretty funny. Still not sure if he meant to say that or if he really misremembered that Mozart was a composer and not a painter. Initially I thought he was going for Michelangelo, and just simply brain-farted.

But Andy is apparently well-known for his wit and humor inside the organization, so maybe he was just goofing there for a laugh.

staylor26
09-16-2020, 01:10 PM

LMAO

bobhill
09-16-2020, 01:15 PM
I did know that. Forgot about it, though.

I didn't mean Joe McKnight would still be playing today. I mean if he weren't hurt, we'd probably remember him like we remember Charcandrick West awhile ago.

Just asking, some people don't know that's all

DJ's left nut
09-16-2020, 01:16 PM
LMAO

Well wouldn't THAT be fun to watch...

And embarassingly, I did the same stupid thing in Rainman's Sandbox league. Made a bid on Breeland Speaks because I just vapor-locked and thought it was Bashaud.

I have really no defense to any of this.

staylor26
09-16-2020, 01:18 PM
Well wouldn't THAT be fun to watch...

And embarassingly, I did the same stupid thing in Rainman's Sandbox league. Made a bid on Breeland Speaks because I just vapor-locked and thought it was Bashaud.

I have really no defense to any of this.

I literally laughed my ass off at the thought of it after I read it.

I thought it was a brilliantly funny mistake myself.

staylor26
09-16-2020, 01:20 PM
I could totally see Sutton having Speaks covering Antonio Brown though.

Buehler445
09-16-2020, 01:21 PM

Gore is the starter now, no chance

DJ's left nut
09-16-2020, 01:22 PM
I could totally see Sutton having Speaks covering Antonio Brown though.

It was all part of the plan, Staylor. All part of the plan.

{sighs}
{weeps}

DJ's left nut
09-16-2020, 01:23 PM
Gore is the starter now, no chance

Bacteria
Cockroaches
Frank Gore

The man will outlive us all and still be carrying the rock when the rest of us are dead and buried.

Mecca
09-16-2020, 01:34 PM
Bacteria
Cockroaches
Frank Gore

The man will outlive us all and still be carrying the rock when the rest of us are dead and buried.

His son is a college RB, maybe his goal is to share an NFL backfield with his son.

DJ's left nut
09-16-2020, 01:54 PM
His son is a college RB, maybe his goal is to share an NFL backfield with his son.

Figure out a way to get him back in SF and Shanahan would have him going to for 750 on 4 yards/carry at 39/40 years old.

Chiefshrink
09-16-2020, 02:11 PM
Again - Mike motha****in' Boone. The kid can play.

Amen the kid can play.:thumb:

staylor26
09-16-2020, 02:16 PM
Let me tell you guys about Frank Gore.

If that guy doesn’t have two ACL injuries, and he had the explosion he had before them, he’s one of the GOAT’s no question.

Freshman Gore was one of the best I’ve ever seen. He was better than Portis and McGahee. He would come in and get 100 yards in the 4th effortlessly. Dude was unreal.

DJ's left nut
09-16-2020, 02:22 PM
Let me tell you guys about Frank Gore.

If that guy doesn’t have two ACL injuries, and he had the explosion he had before them, he’s one of the GOAT’s no question.

Freshman Gore was one of the best I’ve ever seen. He was better than Portis and McGahee. He would come in and get 100 yards in the 4th effortlessly. Dude was unreal.

McGahee was the one who's knee went 'splodey in the bowl game, right?

O.city
09-16-2020, 02:22 PM
The Jets are awful and will likely fire sell it.

Flip them a 7th for him, he can come take 7 or 8 carries per game.

DJ's left nut
09-16-2020, 02:23 PM
The Jets are awful and will likely fire sell it.

Flip them a 7th for him, he can come take 7 or 8 carries per game.

If Walter Payton were alive, I'm pretty sure you'd be asking Veach to give his agent a call.

"Hey, he retired as the all-time leader in catches for a runningback! He'd be a great short yardage and 3rd down option!"

O.city
09-16-2020, 02:24 PM
If Walter Payton were alive, I'm pretty sure you'd be asking Veach to give his agent a call.

"Hey, he retired as the all-time leader in catches for a runningback! He'd be a great short yardage and 3rd down option!"

I'm just looking around the league for someone who could do it and woudln't be meh.

Plus Gore deserves a ring.

DJ's left nut
09-16-2020, 02:29 PM
I'm just looking around the league for someone who could do it and woudln't be meh.

Plus Gore deserves a ring.

Gore's pretty much the living embodiment of 'meh'.

He's been under 4 YPC over his last 1,100 rushing attempts and he ain't getting younger.

I'm completely in favor of lousy teams continuing to feed him carries because I get a kick out of that dude still playing football after 20 years and a slew of significant injuries.

But I really don't see any skills there that Williams doesn't have. And as far as I can tell he's NEVER played in a real high-octane passing offense. A couple seasons under Pagano playing w/ Lucks' backups is as close as I can really see. And ultimately even when Luck was healthy, Pagano never ran a real exotic system.

I just don't see how he'd help at this point.

DaneMcCloud
09-16-2020, 02:46 PM
But I really don't see any skills there that Williams doesn't have. And as far as I can tell he's NEVER played in a real high-octane passing offense. A couple seasons under Pagano playing w/ Lucks' backups is as close as I can really see. And ultimately even when Luck was healthy, Pagano never ran a real exotic system.

Well, Williams best 40 time was 4.72 while Gore was a 4.5 guy, so there's that.

I do not understand why anyone thinks anything of Darrel Williams. He's a slow, lumbering guy that isn't shifty or slippery nor has he shown any power for a man his size. If the guy was on the Raiders, Broncos or Chargers, there would be a good portion of Chiefs fans that would be laughing at the guy.

Can Andy win with Williams as his lead back? Sure, although for how long would be up for serious debate.

But this situation bears watching because unlike 2015 after Charles went down, the Chiefs do not have a sub 4.4 guy like Charcandrick West nor do they have a 225 pound slippery back with great vision and soft hands. That said, I do have more faith in Williams than I do in Darwin Award but that's like saying I've got a "Wish in one hand and shit in the other".

I just hope it doesn't get to that point because at this point in time, the only thing stopping the Chiefs from consecutive Super Bowl wins is depth at the running back position.

O.city
09-16-2020, 02:46 PM
Gore's pretty much the living embodiment of 'meh'.

He's been under 4 YPC over his last 1,100 rushing attempts and he ain't getting younger.

I'm completely in favor of lousy teams continuing to feed him carries because I get a kick out of that dude still playing football after 20 years and a slew of significant injuries.

I'm fine with Williams, but they want a competent back up. There you go.

staylor26
09-16-2020, 02:59 PM

Yup. Those guys had some bad luck in college. His injury was worse, and he moreso would’ve had a totally different NFL career.

But Gore was even better before his IMO.

DJ's left nut
09-16-2020, 03:42 PM
Well, Williams best 40 time was 4.72 while Gore was a 4.5 guy, so there's that.

I do not understand why anyone thinks anything of Darrel Williams. He's a slow, lumbering guy that isn't shifty or slippery nor has he shown any power for a man his size. If the guy was on the Raiders, Broncos or Chargers, there would be a good portion of Chiefs fans that would be laughing at the guy.

Can Andy win with Williams as his lead back? Sure, although for how long would be up for serious debate.

But this situation bears watching because unlike 2015 after Charles went down, the Chiefs do not have a sub 4.4 guy like Charcandrick West nor do they have a 225 pound slippery back with great vision and soft hands. That said, I do have more faith in Williams than I do in Darwin Award but that's like saying I've got a "Wish in one hand and shit in the other".

I just hope it doesn't get to that point because at this point in time, the only thing stopping the Chiefs from consecutive Super Bowl wins is depth at the running back position.

Really?

You're gonna give me the college 40 time of a 37 year old RB w/ the 3rd most carries in NFL history on his odometer and claim it to be remotely relevant?

I ain't saying he's good - I'm saying that he's not worse than Frank Gore, especially a Frank Gore that has no idea how to operate in this offense. This isn't a system he has any familiarity with at all. He's never had a stop in his NFL career where they used Reid's system.

He's just a complete non-starter, IMO.

Shoes
09-16-2020, 03:47 PM

The amount of times they slow-mo replayed McGahee's knee turning into a rubber band was insane. That injury is seared into my brain.

DaneMcCloud
09-16-2020, 04:08 PM
Really?

You're gonna give me the college 40 time of a 37 year old RB w/ the 3rd most carries in NFL history on his odometer and claim it to be remotely relevant?

Nah, I should have put a smiley face next to it because I was being facetious

:D

I ain't saying he's good - I'm saying that he's not worse than Frank Gore, especially a Frank Gore that has no idea how to operate in this offense. This isn't a system he has any familiarity with at all. He's never had a stop in his NFL career where they used Reid's system.

He's just a complete non-starter, IMO.

No, I completely agree. Dr. O's been partaking in the nitrous. :)

In all honesty, I have no idea how or why Gore is on an NFL roster. I thought the dude was done a few teams ago.

htismaqe
09-16-2020, 04:09 PM
It wouldn't matter how good Gore is anyway, he's currently #1 on the depth chart in NY. The guy they want to get rid of is Bell and they can't.

DaneMcCloud
09-16-2020, 04:12 PM
It wouldn't matter how good Gore is anyway, he's currently #1 on the depth chart in NY. The guy they want to get rid of is Bell and they can't.

And let's just say, for fun, the Jets offered him up for a late round 2021 pick.

Do you jump or stand pat?

I stand pat because as bad as a Williams/Thompson combo could be, Leveon Bell is a destroyer of worlds right now and I'd want nothing to do with him in my lockerrom.

He's just bad mojo.

DJ's left nut
09-16-2020, 04:23 PM
And let's just say, for fun, the Jets offered him up for a late round 2021 pick.

Do you jump or stand pat?

I stand pat because as bad as a Williams/Thompson combo could be, Leveon Bell is a destroyer of worlds right now and I'd want nothing to do with him in my lockerrom.

He's just bad mojo.

If they cut him loose and we could get him on a vet min deal, I'd maybe pull the trigger.

The things that make CEH so dangerous in this offense are things that Bell also does well. He's good in space, very patient and has good vision. He's an excellent route-runner and has good hands. He's not as explosive as he used to be, but as a 3rd down back or emergency option, you can use him and not have to adjust your gameplan at all.

He's Shady McCoy without the ball-control issues.

Get him for free and that's a worthwhile possibility. He's not going to do anything to this lockerroom and frankly if he does, you cut his ass.

But too much of his money this year was in base salary so if you take him on, you're adding about $500K/gm against the cap. If he were all signing/roster bonus, I'd do flip a 6th/7th rounder that way because that would end up on the NYJ cap. But since he's carrying an $8.5 million guaranteed base salary this year, we're stuck with it if we trade for him (and the dead money is on OUR cap if we have to cut him).

htismaqe
09-16-2020, 05:44 PM
It's a no for me.

TwistedChief
09-16-2020, 06:05 PM
I don't care for Thompson because his ceiling is a novelty back and ST player. Him looking lost just exacerbates the problem.

I don't get it. Are there not players - especially those from small schools - who look lost as rookies but progress when given a chance against better competition and coached up?

I'm hardly a devout Thompson defender - and he made so many unforced errors last year - but I'd like to see a little bit this season before he's entirely written off.

penchief
09-16-2020, 06:35 PM
I've had a few so I should probably refrain from posting but I'm going to post this, regardless.

This team just won a championship. Previously, both the Chiefs and Andy Reid have been labeled as chokers. I think the organization believes there is still much to prove. If they perceive that a weakness exists at RB, I think they would do whatever is necessary to fill that hole.

I personally side with those who think we need to do something to improve our RB situation. But because I also believe that Reid and Veach are not to content to rest on their laurels, they will do whatever is necessary if something needs to be done.

Whether that means they are content with Williams, Thompson, and Washington, or not, I have no idea. But I feel confident that they will do whatever it is that they think will lead to another championship.

penchief
09-16-2020, 06:44 PM
I've had a few so I should probably refrain from posting but I'm going to post this, regardless.

This team just won a championship. Previously, both the Chiefs and Andy Reid have been labeled as chokers. I think the organization believes there is still much to prove. If they perceive that a weakness exists at RB, I think they would do whatever is necessary to fill that hole.

I personally side with those who think we need to do something to improve our RB situation. But because I also believe that Reid and Veach are not to content to rest on their laurels, they will do whatever is necessary if something needs to be done.

Whether that means they are content with Williams, Thompson, and Washington, or not, I have no idea. But I feel confident that they will do whatever it is that they think will lead to another championship.

Upon reading this after posting it, I realize that I just said a lot of nothing. Please disregard.

RealSNR
09-16-2020, 06:44 PM
I wonder what the hell was going through Adrian Peterson's mind.

Detroit's not paying him that much at all. Why would he sign there? Does he not want a Super Bowl ring or something?

DJ's left nut
09-16-2020, 08:30 PM
I wonder what the hell was going through Adrian Peterson's mind.

Detroit's not paying him that much at all. Why would he sign there? Does he not want a Super Bowl ring or something?

They aren’t but they signed him before week 1 so as a vested veteran it’s guaranteed for the season.

KC wasn’t gonna do that. And APs money troubles are well known.

Dude probably just no-shit needed the paycheck.

htismaqe
09-16-2020, 08:51 PM
I don't get it. Are there not players - especially those from small schools - who look lost as rookies but progress when given a chance against better competition and coached up?

I'm hardly a devout Thompson defender - and he made so many unforced errors last year - but I'd like to see a little bit this season before he's entirely written off.

He played in the Mountain West, he only had one year of experience, and he's undersized. He struggles with pass blocking, isn't a great receiver out of that backfield, and on top of all that, he struggles with looking lost. I really don't understand what there is to get excited about.

It would be different if he had something more about him coming out that was promising but as it is, he's just another long list of practice squad-type players.

htismaqe
09-16-2020, 08:55 PM
I mean, it would be one thing if he was inexperienced but a superb physical specimen. It might be another if he was a 3-year starter at a mid-major. It might be yet another if he had one great year in a power 5 conference.

He's small, he's not fast, he faced inferior competition, he needs a ton of experience, he lacks good instincts, I mean I could go on. This team really needs somebody that can step in and go if CEH goes down. That's not Darwin Thompson and it's really not DWill either.

Couch-Potato
09-16-2020, 09:19 PM
Beast Mode.

TwistedChief
09-17-2020, 02:44 AM
I mean, it would be one thing if he was inexperienced but a superb physical specimen.

https://twitter.com/coachscholz/status/1020112528557322240?lang=en

Just gonna leave that here.

htismaqe
09-17-2020, 06:18 AM
https://twitter.com/coachscholz/status/1020112528557322240?lang=en

Just gonna leave that here.

He's good at lifting inanimate objects. :clap:

:harumph:

;)

htismaqe
09-17-2020, 06:55 AM
I'm not a Thompson fan, I know it's obvious.

But there still is a real question here. Even if you guys are right about his potential, he STILL needs to be developed. There's a reason he's #3 on the depth chart.

If CEH goes down right now, we are freaking screwed. If they want to keep Thompson on as a developmental project, that's fine with me.

But even his defenders acknowledge he's not ready to shoulder any kind of meaningful load. Are we really going to pretend that Williams or Thompson could step in and contribute in a meaningful way if CEH were to go down?

Mecca
09-17-2020, 07:00 AM

But there still is a real question here. Even if you guys are right about his potential, he STILL needs to be developed. There's a reason he's #3 on the depth chart.

If CEH goes down right now, we are freaking screwed. If they want to keep Thompson on as a developmental project, that's fine with me.

But even his defenders acknowledge he's not ready to shoulder any kind of meaningful load. Are we really going to pretend that Williams or Thompson could step in and contribute in a meaningful way if CEH were to go down?

If CEH goes down we're an all passing team.

htismaqe
09-17-2020, 07:16 AM
If CEH goes down we're an all passing team.

That would suck. Even last year, we got key contributions from Damien when we needed it.

DJ's left nut
09-17-2020, 08:33 AM
That would suck. Even last year, we got key contributions from Damien when we needed it.

If CEH goes down, the handcuff for him is presently on the PS, IMO.

Darrel Williams is the backup right now because he presents a slightly different skill-set than CEH. He can be a between the tackles thumper and a sound pass blocker. He's steady and reliable as a short-term backup.

Washington, OTOH, doesn't know the system as well and what he does well are the same things that CEH does well. He's not a complement to CEH as much as he is a watered down version of him.

So if CEH goes down, I think Washington ends up being the primary ballcarrier and Williams role doesn't change appreciably. I think Washington can be a valuable contributor, but he obviously won't be what CEH can be. Frankly he'd probably be somewhere south of what Damien was. But he can play a little bit and at least help the Chiefs maintain the credible threat of the occasional run and keep teams from just putting 5 or 6 in the box every single down.

htismaqe
09-17-2020, 08:42 AM
If CEH goes down, the handcuff for him is presently on the PS, IMO.

Darrel Williams is the backup right now because he presents a slightly different skill-set than CEH. He can be a between the tackles thumper and a sound pass blocker. He's steady and reliable as a short-term backup.

Washington, OTOH, doesn't know the system as well and what he does well are the same things that CEH does well. He's not a complement to CEH as much as he is a watered down version of him.

So if CEH goes down, I think Washington ends up being the primary ballcarrier and Williams role doesn't change appreciably. I think Washington can be a valuable contributor, but he obviously won't be what CEH can be. Frankly he'd probably be somewhere south of what Damien was. But he can play a little bit and at least help the Chiefs maintain the credible threat of the occasional run and keep teams from just putting 5 or 6 in the box every single down.

So he's not really good enough to crack the 3-deep but they're going to call him up from the PS and make him the #1?

Can't say I understand that logic at all, but oh well.

duncan_idaho
09-17-2020, 08:43 AM
If Edwards-Helaire goes down for an extended period of time, I think they would have to sign or trade for a new RB.

Devonta Freeman is still out there and would make sense if CEH is out for a long period of time.

I also could see targeting Bryce Love, whom the Redskins seem content to bury.

If you could get Love for a 6th or something like that I think it's worth doing regardless of what CEH's injury status is. He can catch the ball and - if healthy/recovered - could give them a dynamic 1-2 punch with CEH.

DJ's left nut
09-17-2020, 08:54 AM
So he's not really good enough to crack the 3-deep but they're going to call him up from the PS and make him the #1?

Can't say I understand that logic at all, but oh well.

Happens w/ some frequency.

There's a difference between a complementary backup and a replacement starter. Think of Williams as being in a relief pitcher's role. If a starting pitcher goes down, you don't just take your 7th inning guy and tell him to give you 5 innings.

You go to the minors and get the guy who wasn't good enough to crack the starting rotation and call him up when a starting pitcher goes down.

I think Williams is a complementary player for CEH. Thompson is a guy who Toub really likes on STs. I think the 'backup starter' possibility is the reason they bothered to put Washington on the practice squad. If they really thought of him as a flat out worse player than Darwin, I don't think they even PS him.

He just doesn't have a good fit on the gameday 50 man, IMO. But if CEH went down, he'd slot better into the #1 role than either Williams or Thompson would.

RealSNR
09-17-2020, 08:55 AM

We're taking a step back in our running game for sure if CEH goes down. That's a given. It's probably not going to be as effective as it was with Damien Williams in the playoffs, either.

But still... I will never doubt Andy Reid's ability to turn chicken poop into chicken salad. Again, we all thought we were screwed when Charles went down and some douche named Spencer Ware came in. Or when the Kareem Hunt stuff exploded and we had to hand the ball off to some rando named Damien Williams that we plucked off the street in training camp, who had to compete with 3 or 4 other RBs for just the third string spot.

No, it wasn't always pretty, but we managed to usually hold the line with a "just good enough" running game. And in the playoffs, it turns out it was actually quite efficient.

DJ's left nut
09-17-2020, 08:55 AM
If Edwards-Helaire goes down for an extended period of time, I think they would have to sign or trade for a new RB.

Devonta Freeman is still out there and would make sense if CEH is out for a long period of time.

I also could see targeting Bryce Love, whom the Redskins seem content to bury.

If you could get Love for a 6th or something like that I think it's worth doing regardless of what CEH's injury status is. He can catch the ball and - if healthy/recovered - could give them a dynamic 1-2 punch with CEH.

Yeah, the Love thing is weird. 3 weeks before the season started he was getting a look with the 1s. Then suddenly he was possibly not going to make the roster.

Makes me wonder if he's not quite healthy yet.

DJ's left nut
09-17-2020, 08:56 AM
We're taking a step back in our running game for sure if CEH goes down. That's a given. It's probably not going to be as effective as it was with Damien Williams in the playoffs, either.

But still... I will never doubt Andy Reid's ability to turn chicken poop into chicken salad. Again, we all thought we were screwed when Charles went down and some douche named Spencer Ware came in. Or when the Kareem Hunt stuff exploded and we had to hand the ball off to some rando named Damien Williams that we plucked off the street in training camp, who had to compete with 3 or 4 other RBs for just the third string spot.

No, it wasn't always pretty, but we managed to usually hold the line with a "just good enough" running game. And in the playoffs, it turns out it was actually quite efficient.

Is Washington worse than West? I really don't think he is. And West was pretty productive in 2015.

Reid will get some productivity out of whoever. But yeah - lets hope it doesn't come to that.

htismaqe
09-17-2020, 08:59 AM
Happens w/ some frequency.

There's a difference between a complementary backup and a replacement starter. Think of Williams as being in a relief pitcher's role. If a starting pitcher goes down, you don't just take your 7th inning guy and tell him to give you 5 innings.

You go to the minors and get the guy who wasn't good enough to crack the starting rotation and call him up when a starting pitcher goes down.

I think Williams is a complementary player for CEH. Thompson is a guy who Toub really likes on STs. I think the 'backup starter' possibility is the reason they bothered to put Washington on the practice squad. If they really thought of him as a flat out worse player than Darwin, I don't think they even PS him.

He just doesn't have a good fit on the gameday 50 man, IMO. But if CEH went down, he'd slot better into the #1 role than either Williams or Thompson would.

Makes sense.

duncan_idaho
09-17-2020, 09:06 AM
Yeah, the Love thing is weird. 3 weeks before the season started he was getting a look with the 1s. Then suddenly he was possibly not going to make the roster.

Makes me wonder if he's not quite healthy yet.

Maybe, or maybe it's that they just made a big investment in Gibson, too, and they have similar skillsets. Barber is more complementary to Gibson's skillset than Love.

I don't see much utility in keeping both Love and Gibson active if I'm Washington.

Could be a real steal. If you're confident he is healthy it's a cheap add that potentially is an enormous upgrade.

O.city
09-17-2020, 09:28 AM
Two firsts to the Saints for Kamara. Do it.

Buehler445
09-17-2020, 10:57 AM
Two firsts to the Saints for Kamara. Do it.

You’re just trolling DJLN aren’t you?

DaneMcCloud
09-17-2020, 10:57 AM
Washington, OTOH, doesn't know the system as well

Washington spent two full seasons in Oakland with Jon Gruden, who also runs the WCO, albeit differently than Andy.

If they're keeping him on the PS because he doesn't know the system, well, that doesn't bode well for him on the 53.

DaneMcCloud
09-17-2020, 11:04 AM
Maybe, or maybe it's that they just made a big investment in Gibson, too, and they have similar skillsets. Barber is more complementary to Gibson's skillset than Love.

I don't see much utility in keeping both Love and Gibson active if I'm Washington.

Could be a real steal. If you're confident he is healthy it's a cheap add that potentially is an enormous upgrade.

Andy's relationship with Ron Rivera would most certainly be a factor and I'd expect there to be very little in the way of draft compensation for Love.

Love is a 4.4 guy, too, which would definitely give him the leg up on Darwin's 4.55 or Darrel Williams 4.72.

duncan_idaho
09-17-2020, 11:18 AM
Andy's relationship with Ron Rivera would most certainly be a factor and I'd expect there to be very little in the way of draft compensation for Love.

Love is a 4.4 guy, too, which would definitely give him the leg up on Darwin's 4.55 or Darrel Williams 4.72.

Yeah, a 6th or a 7th if you're confident he's healthy seems like a no-brainer to me. (And I think he was mid 4.3s when timed at Stanford before the knee injury...)

He's also a really high IQ guy, so I think he would work like CEH to pick up the playbook and be up-to-speed quickly.

Could be a cheap, dynamic option to replace some of the playmaking you lose with Watkins over the next two years. Would also create a lot of formation versatility ... put Love and CEH on the field at the same time and split one or both out in the slot, etc.

You could really mess with defenses and create matchups...

All comes back to IF Love has recovered from the ACL completely. Seems like he probably has...

DaneMcCloud
09-17-2020, 11:29 AM
All comes back to IF Love has recovered from the ACL completely. Seems like he probably has...

He's in his second year in a WCO so he'd likely be up to speed very quickly.

DJ's left nut
09-17-2020, 11:58 AM
Yeah, a 6th or a 7th if you're confident he's healthy seems like a no-brainer to me. (And I think he was mid 4.3s when timed at Stanford before the knee injury...)

He's also a really high IQ guy, so I think he would work like CEH to pick up the playbook and be up-to-speed quickly.

Could be a cheap, dynamic option to replace some of the playmaking you lose with Watkins over the next two years. Would also create a lot of formation versatility ... put Love and CEH on the field at the same time and split one or both out in the slot, etc.

You could really mess with defenses and create matchups...

And Love is right in Veach's 'depreciated asset' wheelhouse. He's a 1st rounder if he comes out in 2019 in all likelihood; maybe the first RB taken.

Yeah, he's a really nice fit. But for the same reasons you wonder if he's not a guy Washington's just stashing for now. And ultimately I think Gibson is more of a 3rd down/gadget player than he is a 15-20 carry/gm back. If you're Washington, why would you move Love for a 6th if you think he and Gibson could be a dynamic backfield pairing in 2021?

I'm absolutely on board w/ acquiring him (hell, I have the guy on all my stupid FFB teams and he doesn't have a role at all right now) - but I think the same things that make us want to get him are things that may make Washington happy to keep him. Especially when there's just no way to know how Gibson will hold up to a meaningful workload at RB.

DaneMcCloud
09-17-2020, 12:03 PM
And Love is right in Veach's 'depreciated asset' wheelhouse. He's a 1st rounder if he comes out in 2019 in all likelihood; maybe the first RB taken.

I feel bad for some of these kids that opt to stay in school a year longer, only to suffer an injury that makes their draft stock slide and his Love's case, big time.

DJ's left nut
09-17-2020, 12:38 PM
I feel bad for some of these kids that opt to stay in school a year longer, only to suffer an injury that makes their draft stock slide and his Love's case, big time.

I would never advise a kid who has a shot at being taken in the first 2 rounds to stay.

And for Love to stay when he was likely a 1st rounder....ugh.

College football fans love beating off to guys who come back because of 'unfinished business' or some shit and hold them up as some higher form of moral, upstanding athlete.

But man, for a great deal many of these kids, they're risking WAY too much by doing that. Those girls that go to college to get their M.R.S. degrees and end up engaged to an ascending med student - they don't say "nah, I'm gonna go ahead and finish my communications degree while you do your first year in NY...."

They KNOW better. They got what they came for - if they want the degree, they'll get it later. They cling onto that ring like grim death because their work here is done.

So when the vapid sorority future housewife set is keeping their eyes on the ball better than you are...well you're doing it wrong.