PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs This offensive line can runblock.

Direckshun
09-15-2020, 12:56 PM
So GamePass is being a jerk and not making the All 22 available as of yesterday (haven’t checked back today).

But look at this Baldinger analysis of Clyde’s first game: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NCRFxf3-kAc&t=207s (I’m on my phone.)

Look at that OL. The blocking was superb all game, except on JJ Watt.

It’s pretty fascinating to me the impact a single guard can make. Osemele has added a level of physicality that the entire line has adopted. Wylie looked solid. Reiter looked solid. Fisher and Schwartz were moving bodies. But Kelechi was straight up blowing holes open and the entire line seemed to respond. Why does one guard make the entire line better? Seems crazy but here we are.

Some of that, it must be said, is Clyde, who has Jamaal’s ability to slip through cracks as if they’re wide open holes.

What do you guys see from the offensive line against the Texans?

Kman34
09-15-2020, 01:00 PM
Except when we are inside the 5 yard line...

Hammock Parties
09-15-2020, 01:04 PM
Zone and cutback runs.

All fucking day.

https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/565/970/3970565.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320

Sorce
09-15-2020, 01:05 PM

Yeah they had trouble against goal line defense. I think part of it was everyone knew we were just running up the gut. the game was pretty much over at that point. I think if we needed to score Andy would have had something more complex to make sure they couldn't just stack the box.

DJ's left nut
09-15-2020, 01:09 PM
So GamePass is being a jerk and not making the All 22 available as of yesterday (haven’t checked back today).

But look at this Baldinger analysis of Clyde’s first game: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NCRFxf3-kAc&t=207s (I’m on my phone.)

Look at that OL. The blocking was superb all game, except on JJ Watt.

It’s pretty fascinating to me the impact a single guard can make. Osemele has added a level of physicality that the entire line has adopted. Wylie looked solid. Reiter looked solid. Fisher and Schwartz were moving bodies. But Kelechi was straight up blowing holes open and the entire line seemed to respond. Why does one guard make the entire line better? Seems crazy but here we are.

Some of that, it must be said, is Clyde, who has Jamaal’s ability to slip through cracks as if they’re wide open holes.

What do you guys see from the offensive line against the Texans?

Oh there are plenty of runs that weren't blocked up worth a damn.

The one I just put in the CEH thread - there was NOTHING there and it was a run off the left side. That should've been a no-gain and CEH popped if for 12ish.

One guard made the line better, yes. As did having Fisher back (who was a HUGE difference-maker for the team last year). And getting Wylie back to the right side where he was a genuine asset in 2018.

So essentially 60% of your OL is different than last year and your RB is better at putting you in favorable down/distance spots even when the blocking fails. So you have defenses less able to predict your tendencies and attack them.

It's much more than 'one guard making the entire line better' - there's plenty of turnover among the starters and a RB who gave them a lot of help.

dlphg9
09-15-2020, 01:10 PM

Texans sold out for the run on those goal line stands. That's why we were able to have receiving TDs down there. Plus Patrick Mahomes is a QB God.

Megatron96
09-15-2020, 01:13 PM
Oh there are plenty of runs that weren't blocked up worth a damn.

The one I just put in the CEH thread - there was NOTHING there and it was a run off the left side. That should've been a no-gain and CEH popped if for 12ish.

One guard made the line better, yes. As did having Fisher back (who was a HUGE difference-maker for the team last year). And getting Wylie back to the right side where he was a genuine asset in 2018.

So essentially 60% of your OL is different than last year and your RB is better at putting you in favorable down/distance spots even when the blocking fails. So you have defenses less able to predict your tendencies and attack them.

It's much more than 'one guard making the entire line better' - there's plenty of turnover among the starters and a RB who gave them a lot of help.

All of this. They still aren't a great run-blocking unit, but KO made a difference, plus CEH just has much better vision than any RB we have in the room. To say that they've made some huge improvement in that area is a little bit of a stretch right now.

smithandrew051
09-15-2020, 01:18 PM
With a legit running game, this is EASILY the most flawless offense in the league.

If CEH is the guy we think he is, then this is a truly historic offense. It’s hard to find an offense in NFL history that was elite at QB, TE, WR, and RB.

The mid-2000’s Colts were pretty loaded, but Dallas Clark wasn’t elite (even though he was pretty good).

htismaqe
09-15-2020, 01:24 PM
DJ and Megatron said it already.

They were good at times and not so good at times. KO was a big improvement at one position but we're yet to see that translate across the rest of the line. It will take time.

And CEH is just going to get better at the season goes on.

Hammock Parties
09-15-2020, 01:30 PM
Those zone stretch runs to the outside are going to be absolutely deadly.

Just faking that action and having Hill or Hardman going the other direction is a massive problem for defenses.

Especially when your QB can roll all the way outside the right hash and throw clear to the other boundary. :drool::drool::drool:

DJ's left nut
09-15-2020, 01:37 PM
With a legit running game, this is EASILY the most flawless offense in the league.

If CEH is the guy we think he is, then this is a truly historic offense. It’s hard to find an offense in NFL history that was elite at QB, TE, WR, and RB.

The mid-2000’s Colts were pretty loaded, but Dallas Clark wasn’t elite (even though he was pretty good).

The Rams are as close as I can come up with and they had dick at TE.

But they made up for it by having a guy in Faulk who simply wasn't human and 2 HoF caliber WRs. They had their own Robinson in Proehl and their own Hardman in Hakim.

And while Schwartz is a hell of a good OL, he ain't Orlando Pace. And Nutten, Timmermann and Miller were very good in their own right. Warner was also the best pure thrower of a football I've ever seen.

I think you can make a pretty decent argument for that being the best offense of all time, though by year's end this squad, if fully healthy, has a shot at running them down.

Shoes
09-15-2020, 01:39 PM
Osemele seems to be a nice pickup- although only one game in.

smithandrew051
09-15-2020, 01:43 PM

But they made up for it by having a guy in Faulk who simply wasn't human and 2 HoF caliber WRs. They had their own Robinson in Proehl and their own Hardman in Hakim.

And while Schwartz is a hell of a good OL, he ain't Orlando Pace. And Nutten, Timmermann and Miller were very good in their own right. Warner was also the best pure thrower of a football I've ever seen.

I think you can make a pretty decent argument for that being the best offense of all time, though by year's end this squad, if fully healthy, has a shot at running them down.

Warner was terrific. I always respected his game. Best touch on the ball ever IMO.

That said, I believe Mahomes takes things to another level. For as great as Warner was, he DID have a ceiling (albeit an extremely high one). I’m honestly not sure what Mahomes’s ceiling is. It’s that high.

DJ's left nut
09-15-2020, 01:53 PM
Warner was terrific. I always respected his game. Best touch on the ball ever IMO.

That said, I believe Mahomes takes things to another level. For as great as Warner was, he DID have a ceiling (albeit an extremely high one). I’m honestly not sure what Mahomes’s ceiling is. It’s that high.

No question.

But purely as a thrower, he still has a step to take. And I think he's gotten there as a processor because of the incredible strides he made last year, but he'll prove it for sure this year.

That's what made Warner so amazing as well - dude's touch (even when he was throwing those wounded ducks half the time) was supernatural and he seemingly NEVER missed the open guy. He knew who would break open and when it would happen. Guy was a maestro. Mahomes is getting there (may be there) in terms of his feel for the offense, but he doesn't have quite the touch on his passes yet.

But like you said - there's no ceiling on the kid. He could be everything that every great QB in this league ever was. Brady's ability to process in a maelstrom, Manning pre-snap reads, Young's mobility inside the pocket and ability to get necessary yards with his feet, Marino's raw arm strength, Elways fire, Montana's calm, Favre's joy, Rodgers ability to improvise, Brees's precision, Unitas's leadership. Then package it with Jordan's psychotic competitive streak and need to push himself.

I mean literally - take the greatest strength of every one of the top 10 passers of all time and tell me there's a single one of those areas where Mahomes cannot meet or exceed them.

It's just....not human. He's so !@#$ing gifted man, it makes me shake my head. I don't even know what to say about the kid at this point. This kind of guy shouldn't exist.

ThaVirus
09-15-2020, 01:54 PM
Warner was also the best pure thrower of a football I've ever seen.

Who's better: Kurt Warner or Steve Young?

cmh6476
09-15-2020, 01:56 PM

who did that Vikings team that beat the scoring record have at TE? Culpepper, Robert Smith, Randy Moss and Cris Carter. That was a talented offense.

KC Hawks
09-15-2020, 02:06 PM
Talking about Kurt Warner reminds me of this stat:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Again.. it bears repeating. This season alone Mahomes was 5-0 when trailing by double digits. In his HOF career Kurt Warner was 2-44 when his team trailed by double digits. Understand what you&#39;re seeing.</p>&mdash; trey wingo (@wingoz) <a href="https://twitter.com/wingoz/status/1224307428793233409?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 3, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

lcarus
09-15-2020, 02:09 PM

I'd probably take Steve Young just because he also gives you that mobility.

DJ's left nut
09-15-2020, 02:20 PM

I think Steve Young is the most underrated QB in NFL history and prior to Mahomes I would occasionally take a stab at arguing in favor of him in the age-old "what QB would you start a franchise with if you could pick anyone..." conversation.

I think Young was a better quarterback but I think Warner threw a better football.

But it's funny you'd pick Young from that list because I friggen love that guy. Had Montana left after the '85 season for some strange reason and Young took over in '86, I think people would be talking about HIM instead of Montana as the GOAT before Brady.

You let him take some lumps in '86 and be fully in charge for that '87 squad that lost to the Vikings after falling behind 20-3 before Young had to take over in the 2nd half but couldn't quite get them back - I don't think they lose in '87. They won it in '88 and '89 the lost 13-15 against the Giants with Montana looking ooooooold in '90 - I don't think Young loses that game. 4 in a row was a legit possibility.

That was the era that the 49ers were just buying guys - He could've popped off 5 championships in 6 years pretty easily. Does Ken Norton leave for Dallas at that point?

Young was a monster. He could've had 6 rings had things broken a little differently.

DJ's left nut
09-15-2020, 02:27 PM
who did that Vikings team that beat the scoring record have at TE? Culpepper, Robert Smith, Randy Moss and Cris Carter. That was a talented offense.

That wasn't Culpepper. That monster season was with Randall Cunningham at the controls.

I have no idea who they had at TE that year.

The one that's truly bonkers is that damn year the Broncos killed EVERYONE and then got wrecked by Seattle in the Super Bowl.

WTF was that? Look at the shit Manning turned into gold.

Damarius Thomas, Eric Decker, Julius Thomas, concussed Welker. They set a scoring record with Knowshon Moreno.

That really should be argument #1 (and maybe the only one necessary) anytime someone has a GOAT conversation. "Oh yeah - Manning set every scoring record imagineable w/ Eric !@#$ing Decker and Knowshown Moreno as primary weapons..."

John Fox was his head coach. Ryan Clady didn't even play that season - his line was rags, man.

How did he do that?!?!

tatorhog
09-15-2020, 02:27 PM
I think Steve Young is the most underrated QB in NFL history and prior to Mahomes I would occasionally take a stab at arguing in favor of him in the age-old "what QB would you start a franchise with if you could pick anyone..." conversation.

I think Young was a better quarterback but I think Warner threw a better football.

But it's funny you'd pick Young from that list because I friggen love that guy. Had Montana left after the '85 season for some strange reason and Young took over in '86, I think people would be talking about HIM instead of Montana as the GOAT before Brady.

You let him take some lumps in '86 and be fully in charge for that '87 squad that lost to the Vikings after falling behind 20-3 before Young had to take over in the 2nd half but couldn't quite get them back - I don't think they lose in '87. They won it in '88 and '89 the lost 13-15 against the Giants with Montana looking ooooooold in '90 - I don't think Young loses that game. 4 in a row was a legit possibility.

That was the era that the 49ers were just buying guys - He could've popped off 5 championships in 6 years pretty easily. Does Ken Norton leave for Dallas at that point?

Young was a monster. He could've had 6 rings had things broken a little differently.

Just think if Tampa had their heads on right and they kept him and Bo together. That would have been a nightmare team, especially if they added a decent WR.

O.city
09-15-2020, 02:29 PM
That wasn't Culpepper. That monster season was with Randall Cunningham at the controls.

The one that's truly bonkers is that damn year the Broncos killed EVERYONE and then got wrecked by Seattle in the Super Bowl.

Damarius Thomas, Eric Decker, Julius Thomas, concussed Welker. They set a scoring record with Knowshon Moreno.

That really should be argument #1 (and maybe the only one necessary) anytime someone has a GOAT conversation. "Oh yeah - Manning set every scoring record imagineable w/ Eric !@#$ing Decker and Knowshown Moreno as primary weapons..."

John Fox was his head coach. Ryan Clady didn't even play that season - his line was rags, man.

How did he do that?!?!

Decker wasn't that bad though atleast as bad as he ended up being elsewhere.

That 13 season though, Manning was just on a frickin different level. They were unreal.

DJ's left nut
09-15-2020, 02:38 PM
Decker wasn't that bad though atleast as bad as he ended up being elsewhere.

That 13 season though, Manning was just on a frickin different level. They were unreal.

But isn't that the point?

Who was EVER as good without Manning as they were with him. That dude was so good he got his o-linemen paid. Who was that pile of fuck guard we signed away from the Colts who was just trash here? We had to put him at C to try to get some use out of him. Ryan Nelson or something like that? Just absolute ass but Manning was clipping off 13 wins/season behind him so we figured he had to be good.

The guy was the liquid metal terminator from T2. No emotion, no passion - just cold, calculating, murderous logic that would slice you to ribbons without breaking a sweat.

Fuck I'm glad he's finally gone. I hope the rest of the league sees Mahomes the same way I saw that guy. What a horse.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
09-15-2020, 02:42 PM
We can also pass block too!!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Texans blitzed the Chiefs 39.4 percent of the time (6th most in NFL this week) on Thursday night. <br><br>Kansas City allowed a 3.0 percent hurry rate. Of teams playing Sunday or earlier (MNF totals not in) that ranks third-worst.<br><br>Mahomes got rid of the ball, and the OL was stout</p>&mdash; Matt Verderame (@MattVerderame) <a href="https://twitter.com/MattVerderame/status/1305960933408346112?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 15, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

poolboy
09-15-2020, 02:43 PM
Our oline looks way better than anticipated

DJ's left nut
09-15-2020, 02:45 PM

I think Direkshun was the only one squealing too loudly about the OL.

There was EVERY reason to believe this line could be an upgrade on last season's.

This is pretty talented group.

Pitt Gorilla
09-15-2020, 02:54 PM
This line is going to LOVE blocking for CEH. He makes them look good, so they're going to work to make him look good.

ThaVirus
09-15-2020, 02:57 PM

I picked Young for that reason. I remember you mentioned him at some point in the past.

Personally, I’d agree. He’d probably make my top 5 all-time, but I feel like history has assigned him the backseat to Montana so you don’t often hear much beyond maybe top 10 hype.

It’s always an interesting convo. Guys like Brady and Montana have long gotten by on Super Bowl wins, but I’m not sure I’d take either over guys like Manning or Young.

O.city
09-15-2020, 02:58 PM
But isn't that the point?

Who was EVER as good without Manning as they were with him. That dude was so good he got his o-linemen paid. Who was that pile of **** guard we signed away from the Colts who was just trash here? We had to put him at C to try to get some use out of him. Ryan Nelson or something like that? Just absolute ass but Manning was clipping off 13 wins/season behind him so we figured he had to be good.

The guy was the liquid metal terminator from T2. No emotion, no passion - just cold, calculating, murderous logic that would slice you to ribbons without breaking a sweat.

**** I'm glad he's finally gone. I hope the rest of the league sees Mahomes the same way I saw that guy. What a horse.

He had his issues in the playoffs (namely, he had to beat Brady and Bill too many times) but man, that dude was flat out just great. Brady has the rings, but fuck it's hard to really argue.

O.city
09-15-2020, 03:00 PM
Manning was truly a "hitch your wagon to him and win 12 games" every year type of QB. He had good players around him, but it didn't matter how good. They were just gonna win that many and be right there every year.

InChiefsHeaven
09-15-2020, 03:03 PM

With Mahomes getting rid of the ball as quick as he was and having a running back that can get through holes PDQ...this elevates the ability of the oline. I'm impressed with them, but it's a whole team symphony going on out there, led by the maybe greatest conductor to play the game.

ThaVirus
09-15-2020, 03:14 PM
Manning was truly a "hitch your wagon to him and win 12 games" every year type of QB. He had good players around him, but it didn't matter how good. They were just gonna win that many and be right there every year.

Manning’s my GOAT currently, all things considered. He’s got a great mix of talent, peak, stats and wins.

KChiefs1
09-15-2020, 05:35 PM
KO is quite a LG.

crispystl
09-15-2020, 05:42 PM
[QUOTE=DJ's left nut;15170360]I think Steve Young is the most underrated QB in NFL history and prior to Mahomes

I totally agree and preach this all the time. Young is criminally underrated.

crispystl
09-15-2020, 05:46 PM

How did he do that?!?!

I know Brady has more rings, but growing up watching both of them I always thought Manning was the more talented of the two by far. Just simply going by the eye test Manning would call audibles and make throws that leapt off the screen.

crispystl
09-15-2020, 05:49 PM

Knowing you had to play them that week was extremely frustrating. You knew Manning was just going to slowly and methodically kick your defense's asses up and down the field over and over and there wasn't anything you could do except watch. Ughh...

Chiefshrink
09-15-2020, 05:55 PM
Broncos killed EVERYONE and then got wrecked by Seattle in the Super Bowl.WTF was that?

Manning admitted as much that he didn't prepare as much for Seattle like he should have because all the film he watched of them was just a base defense. He said he didn't see much to prepare for. And now looking back he said that not only did he not realize just how talented Seattle's defensive players were but even moreso just how much more physical they were than Denver. They were not prepared for that and got hit with an early Left hook and never recovered. Manning had never faced a defense like Seattle all year which was an indirect set up psychologically when you have been destroying defenses all year.

You can say the same about Newton when he faced Denver in the Super Bowl. Newton never faced a defense like Denver all year. Some argue that he did in Seattle and AZ BUT those defense's were severely beat up when they met. Phillips realized very quickly Newton couldn't read a defense and adjust and Cam was "dear in the headlights" the whole game with so many different looks coming at him.

Chris Meck
09-15-2020, 06:05 PM
Osemele is a huge upgrade.

Why is it so big an improvement?

Well, we're 20% better. Five man line, one spot had been a giant gaping bleeding vagina.

Now that spot is a strength.

Chief Pagan
09-15-2020, 06:21 PM
[QUOTE=DJ's left nut;15170360]I think Steve Young is the most underrated QB in NFL history and prior to Mahomes

I totally agree and preach this all the time. Young is criminally underrated.

The 49ers were criminally over rated at the end of Steve Young's career. Yeah they still had Rice, but without Young and without playing in a weak division, they were probably a 8-8 type team at best.

Great QBs can hid problems, but Young allowed the 49ers to really stay in denial. Of course that was also about when the salary cap was really starting to bite SF and Dallas.

DRM08
09-15-2020, 06:32 PM
No question.

But purely as a thrower, he still has a step to take. And I think he's gotten there as a processor because of the incredible strides he made last year, but he'll prove it for sure this year.

That's what made Warner so amazing as well - dude's touch (even when he was throwing those wounded ducks half the time) was supernatural and he seemingly NEVER missed the open guy. He knew who would break open and when it would happen. Guy was a maestro. Mahomes is getting there (may be there) in terms of his feel for the offense, but he doesn't have quite the touch on his passes yet.

But like you said - there's no ceiling on the kid. He could be everything that every great QB in this league ever was. Brady's ability to process in a maelstrom, Manning pre-snap reads, Young's mobility inside the pocket and ability to get necessary yards with his feet, Marino's raw arm strength, Elways fire, Montana's calm, Favre's joy, Rodgers ability to improvise, Brees's precision, Unitas's leadership. Then package it with Jordan's psychotic competitive streak and need to push himself.

I mean literally - take the greatest strength of every one of the top 10 passers of all time and tell me there's a single one of those areas where Mahomes cannot meet or exceed them.

It's just....not human. He's so !@#$ing gifted man, it makes me shake my head. I don't even know what to say about the kid at this point. This kind of guy shouldn't exist.

Time will tell I guess. The thing that always struck me about him while he was at Tech was the amazingly positive personality. This is not the sarcastic and arrogant Rodgers, even if they have similar talent. Patrick was always extremely positive about his teammates and you could tell he was a great leader. Never threw anyone under the bus even though he had every right to do so.

His leadership ability didn't show up much on the win sheet in college, but we are starting to see it in the NFL. I think that should give you an idea of just how bad our roster and coaching was at Tech (still is THAT damn terrible to be honest...lol). Pat would lead the hell out of his guys, lift them up, and get them to compete hard in games that should have been blowouts in the first 5-10 minutes. Now that he's surrounded by excellent coaches and teammates, his leadership is starting to pay off in a big way.

Chief Roundup
09-15-2020, 06:45 PM
Somebody else probably has mentioned it but our OL got their ass handed to them in goal line though.

displacedinMN
09-15-2020, 06:49 PM

he should have been in

Megatron96
09-15-2020, 06:50 PM
He could be everything that every great QB in this league ever was. Brady's ability to process in a maelstrom, Manning pre-snap reads, Young's mobility inside the pocket and ability to get necessary yards with his feet, Marino's raw arm strength, Elways fire, Montana's calm, Favre's joy, Rodgers ability to improvise, Brees's precision, Unitas's leadership. Then package it with Jordan's psychotic competitive streak and need to push himself.

This is the thing that I keep coming back to and just shake my head.

With every QB I've ever watched in nearly 40 years, there's always been some weakness, even with the greatest of them, whether it be Montana, Elway, Marino, Favre, Brady, etc. No matter how good they were, there was always something I could point to and say, "but then there's that." With Montana is was his fragility. With Elway it was his lack of touch. Favre's recklessness. Marino's lack of mobility, ditto Manning and Brady, and so on. There's always been some chink in the armor that was exploitable by the defense.

With Mahomes I just can't find a weakness. All the while breaking all the rules of QBing. And that just shouldn't be possible. It's like watching some kind of real life superhero play QB in the NFL and exposing his super-powers for all the world to see.

Pitt Gorilla
09-15-2020, 08:00 PM
Somebody else probably has mentioned it but our OL got their ass handed to them in goal line though.

That's going to happen. It's a lot easier to go-charge than it is to effectively block a go-charge.

htismaqe
09-15-2020, 08:01 PM
That's going to happen. It's a lot easier to go-charge than it is to effectively block a go-charge.

Yep.