PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto LED light bulb failure

Stewie
09-20-2020, 06:49 PM
Has anyone had early failure of LED bulbs? Lights of America sold crappy LED bulbs a few years ago. They failed in the first couple of years. The FTC took action.

I bought quality LED bulbs and just had a 2nd failure within one year. These are supposed to last years and years.

Anyone else having issues? Just curious. Maybe I bought a bad batch from a good company.

Coach
09-20-2020, 06:49 PM
Has anyone had early failure of LED bulbs? Lights of America sold crappy LED bulbs a few years ago. They failed in the first couple of years. The FTC took action.

I bought quality LED bulbs and just had a 2nd failure within one year. These are supposed to last years and years.

Anyone else having issues? Just curious. Maybe I bought a bad batch from a good company.

No experience on my end, but should warranty cover said situation?

09-20-2020, 06:50 PM
I've had enough fail within a year that I put dates on them now.

mlyonsd
09-20-2020, 06:59 PM
21 years means 21 months. Or less.

KCUnited
09-20-2020, 07:04 PM
Dumbass

Ming the Merciless
09-20-2020, 07:07 PM
led fixtures are getting pretty cheap. If youre handy enough to deal with a couple wires, changing the fixture is better....too many problems with the LED conversion bulbs.....

eDave
09-20-2020, 07:09 PM
How long are they supposed to last? Planned obsolescence is just that.

displacedinMN
09-20-2020, 07:12 PM
should have lasted longer than that. Some do just give out. See if there is a warranty

HonestChieffan
09-20-2020, 07:12 PM
all shit from what I have seen

dallaschiefsfan
09-20-2020, 07:19 PM
led fixtures are getting pretty cheap. If youre handy enough to deal with a couple wires, changing the fixture is better....too many problems with the LED conversion bulbs.....

I agree...BUT...the fixtures fail about as often as the bulbs as well. I've had 2 of 5 start strobe-lighting me over the last year. The idea they last for as long as they say is a farce. However...they DO save on energy. Putting a date on the fixtures is a fantastic idea. I think I'll start doing that.

Bugeater
09-20-2020, 07:20 PM
I've had a couple fail but overall I've had pretty good luck with them. They're definitely better than those garbage CFTs that were being foisted on to us a decade ago.

Ming the Merciless
09-20-2020, 09:00 PM
I agree...BUT...the fixtures fail about as often as the bulbs as well. :

Hmm. Not from my experience at all. We started changing fixtures at my work for this reason. Ive seen dozens of them changed in the last 5 years of all types. Interior,, exterior, work/shop lights.

Only had about 2 of them go out. One was right away, defective out of the box. The other im not sure what happened. But the early failure rate on the fixtures isn't even close to the failure rate of conversion bulbs. Im thinking like 1% versus 75+%

loochy
09-20-2020, 09:05 PM
I bought quality LED bulbs and just had a 2nd failure within one year.

:spock:

Groves
09-20-2020, 09:07 PM
I’ve had a number of T8 size led bulbs fail. I buy from Amazon and just let them know. They send me new ones.

Due to the nature of manufacturing, this is bound to happen. Keeping track of where you buy it is a pain for sure.

I buy 4 or 8 at a time because I want the bulbs to match. This somewhat makes it easier cause I always know where I bought em.

The new ones are pretty slick. They can handle a ballast or no ballast and it’s easy to rewire tombstones if you need to.

Sure beats fluorescents or the dreaded compact fluorescents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stewie
05-05-2022, 05:56 PM
The problem continues and it doesn't seem to matter the brand.

The bulbs in question are used daily and for several hours. I'm getting about 10% of the "expected" life in 1 of 5-ish bulbs.

Is anyone else seeing this problem?

DaFace
05-05-2022, 06:04 PM
I've had a few. Seems to be more of a QC issue than a lifespan issue, as I've had others in the same box that are still working years later.

Stewie
05-05-2022, 06:44 PM
I've had a few. Seems to be more of a QC issue than a lifespan issue, as I've had others in the same box that are still working years later.

It's a quality problem, for sure. That was kind of my point.

It was a bigger issue when LED bulbs were more expensive.

Stryker
05-05-2022, 07:42 PM
I agree...BUT...the fixtures fail about as often as the bulbs as well. I've had 2 of 5 start strobe-lighting me over the last year. The idea they last for as long as they say is a farce. However...they DO save on energy. Putting a date on the fixtures is a fantastic idea. I think I'll start doing that.

So I have changed out all of my bulbs inside and out with LED bulbs. All have lasted through the years EXCEPT, my kitchen bulbs. They do the disco thing which enrages me! :cuss: So I keep 2 new ones in my pantry for when the "dance" starts. Basically, I am on the fence on them since 98% of the LED's in my home and out actually have lasted. Crazy!

Chief Roundup
05-05-2022, 07:49 PM
Has anyone had an early failure of LED bulbs? Lights of America sold crappy LED bulbs a few years ago. They failed in the first couple of years. The FTC took action.

Is anyone else having issues? Just curious. Maybe I bought a bad batch from a good company.

Did you know that those expectations are figured in a lab where they have complete control of all elements?
If the conditions are not perfect they do not last nearly as long as they are supposed to last.
If you think it is bad with a bulb don't ever put in an LED fixture. When the fixture quits working you have to replace it and of course, they do not make that same fixture any longer. So you are left with cover-up work to do in order to hide the footprint of the other one.

Stewie
05-05-2022, 08:09 PM
Did you know that those expectations are figured in a lab where they have complete control of all elements?
If the conditions are not perfect they do not last nearly as long as they are supposed to last.
If you think it is bad with a bulb don't ever put in an LED fixture. When the fixture quits working you have to replace it and of course, they do not make that same fixture any longer. So you are left with cover-up work to do in order to hide the footprint of the other one.

Yeah, as an engineer,, we used to call prototypes in the lab "Shop Queens". Worked great under controlled environments, but we figured out how to make them work in real world settings.

Snica
05-05-2022, 09:09 PM
My led lightbulbs never last more than two years. But hey I'm saving the earth right? Fucking crap.