PDA

View Full Version : Royals Alex Gordon is retiring

ChiefBlueCFC
09-24-2020, 10:28 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">After 14 years of hard work and dedication to the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Royals?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Royals</a>, Alex Gordon is retiring from baseball.<br><br>Thank you for always giving it your all, Gordo.<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/4EverRoyal?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#4EverRoyal</a> <a href="https://t.co/S5A0Y7ASFq">pic.twitter.com/S5A0Y7ASFq</a></p>&mdash; Kansas City Royals (@Royals) <a href="https://twitter.com/Royals/status/1309160888579100672?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 24, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Thank you for everything Alex. A great Royal and a Royal for life!

SuperBowl4
09-24-2020, 10:29 AM
SEE YA! :thumb: :Royals:

TLO
09-24-2020, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the memories.

The HR against Familia in the World Series is one that won't soon be forgotten.

Funkstown
09-24-2020, 10:32 AM
Gordo, was badass and pure heart and soul for the team! Will miss ya bud!

Titty Meat
09-24-2020, 10:33 AM
4 years too late

Dartgod
09-24-2020, 10:45 AM
4 years too late

Go be a douche somewhere else.

Sassy Squatch
09-24-2020, 10:48 AM
He strikes me as one of the guys that'll just always be around their organization in some role.

PHOG
09-24-2020, 10:50 AM
Way to go Gordo! Enjoyed it! :Royals: :thumb:

redfan
09-24-2020, 10:52 AM
What a career! Thanks for the ride to the top of the mountain, Gordo. :Royals:

MahiMike
09-24-2020, 10:57 AM
No one slammed into the wall like him. Baller. Thanks for the memories - especially 2015.

big nasty kcnut
09-24-2020, 10:57 AM
Gordo thank for 14-15.

gblowfish
09-24-2020, 10:58 AM
His career was a mixed bag for where he was drafted. Everybody thought he would be the next Brett. Didn't work out that way. He was a average to slightly less than average offensive player, excellent to great defensive player once moved to left field. 14 years, .257 career hitter. Only had more than 20 homers once, only hit .300 once. He struck out WAY too much: 1533 career Ks and 682 walks...including all the times he was hit by pitch, which was a bunch. Struck out more than 100 times in 10 of his 14 seasons. On defense, can't argue with his greatness, multiple gold gloves, and one platinum glove. Had the second most important homer in club history in 2015 WS game one. Played his whole career here. He was a good overall player, probably make the Royals HOF. Pretty much the same class as Sweeney. Hope he enjoys his life and retirement.

Chiefspants
09-24-2020, 11:04 AM
I’d put him a tier above Sweeney.

We thought we were getting the next George Brett with Alex, we really got the next Frank White with a better bat.

Deberg_1990
09-24-2020, 11:09 AM
His career was a mixed bag for where he was drafted. Everybody thought he would be the next Brett. Didn't work out that way. He was a average to slightly less than average offensive player, excellent to great defensive player once moved to left field. 14 years, .257 career hitter. Only had more than 20 homers once, only hit .300 once. He struck out WAY too much: 1533 career Ks and 682 walks...including all the times he was hit by pitch, which was a bunch. Struck out more than 100 times in 10 of his 14 seasons. On defense, can't argue with his greatness, multiple gold gloves, and one platinum glove. Had the second most important homer in club history in 2015 WS game one. Played his whole career here. He was a good overall player, probably make the Royals HOF. Pretty much the same class as Sweeney. Hope he enjoys his life and retirement.

Pretty much how I feel. I’ll always be thankful for the playoff performance though.

But ultimately, his career ended up being below Johnny Damon’s. Another (next George Brett)

tk13
09-24-2020, 11:13 AM
He'll be remembered for the Game 1 homer for obvious reasons. Saved the day against a dominant closer that literally hadn't blown a save in months.

That said, he was a huge part of the 2014 team getting to the playoffs. The team was hanging around .500 at the end of July then got super hot in August to put themselves in playoff position. Gordon caught fire that month and hit like 9 homers in August and was a huge reason that team made the push.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
09-24-2020, 11:16 AM
He deserves a statue at Kauffman

Chiefspants
09-24-2020, 11:21 AM
He'll be remembered for the Game 1 homer for obvious reasons. Saved the day against a dominant closer that literally hadn't blown a save in months.

That said, he was a huge part of the 2014 team getting to the playoffs. The team was hanging around .500 at the end of July then got super hot in August to put themselves in playoff position. Gordon caught fire that month and hit like 9 homers in August and was a huge reason that team made the push.

Yeah - this is true. We do not make the 2014 playoffs without him. He was also the hottest hitter on the 2015 team before his injury.

A lot of folks like to reduce his contributions to the 2014-2015 team to that homer. That’s unfair, and a bit of an uninformed/revisionist take. Gordo has clutch AB’s in (and this is just from memory) Games 2 & 3 of the 2014 ALDS, Game 1 of the 2014 ALCS, Game 3 of the WS, Game 7 of the WS, Game 4 of the 2015 ALDS, Game 5 of the 2015 ALDS, Game 2 of the 2015 ALCS, Game 1 of the 2015 WS, Game 2 of the 2015 WS, & Game 5 of that same WS, and this is purely focused on his bat (his catch in Game 4 of the 2014 ALCS and Game 5 of the 2015 ALDS were just as important to our victories). He honestly was one of our most clutch players ever and deserves to be remembered that way.

RockChalk
09-24-2020, 11:23 AM
He strikes me as one of the guys that'll just always be around their organization in some role.

Was just telling my friends I could see him in a Rusty Kuntz role with the team. And someday the manager, if he wants to be one.

tk13
09-24-2020, 11:30 AM
Yeah - this is true. We do not make the 2014 playoffs without him. He was also the hottest hitter on the 2015 team before his injury.

A lot of folks like to reduce his contributions to the 2014-2015 team to that homer. That’s unfair, and a bit of an uninformed/revisionist take. Gordo has clutch AB’s in (and this is just from memory) Games 2 & 3 of the 2014 ALDS, Game 1 of the 2014 ALCS, Game 3 of the WS, Game 7 of the WS, Game 4 of the 2015 ALDS & Game 5 of the 2015 ALDS, Game 2 of the 2015 ALCS, Game 1 of the 2015 WS, Game 2 of the 2015 WS, & Game 5 of that same WS, and this is purely focused on his bat. He honestly was one of our most clutch players ever and deserves to be remembered that way.

Yeah there's a few moments people will forget. Particularly the HR in extra innings to break the tie against the Orioles in Game 1 in 2014. That was huge and was a moment where you thought this team could make it to the Series.

Then in the 2015 ALDS he had the groundout that gave us the lead during the Game 4 comeback against the Astros. Then when we were down in Game 5 he hit the double that really started the rally there. It led to Alex Rios coming up and tying the game. He has way more clutch moments than people probably remember that are overshadowed by the fact he had a famously clutch World Series HR.

lcarus
09-24-2020, 11:31 AM
That homer off Familia was as clutch as clutch gets. His triple off Bumgarner in the 9th inning of game 7 of the WS was as clutch as clutch gets. In another universe Perez drives him home and we're back to back champs.

Deberg_1990
09-24-2020, 11:34 AM
Yeah there's a few moments people will forget. Particularly the HR in extra innings to break the tie against the Orioles in Game 1 in 2014. That was huge and was a moment where you thought this team could make it to the Series.

Then in the 2015 ALDS he had the groundout that gave us the lead during the Game 4 comeback against the Astros. Then when we were down in Game 5 he hit the double that really started the rally there. It led to Alex Rios coming up and tying the game. He has way more clutch moments than people probably remember that are overshadowed by the fact he had a famously clutch World Series HR.

yep. For sure an argument could be made he was a better playoff player than a regular season player.

Chiefspants
09-24-2020, 11:35 AM

Then in the 2015 ALDS he had the groundout that gave us the lead during the huge comeback against the Astros. Then when we were down in Game 5 he hit the double that really started the rally there. He has way more clutch moments than people probably remember that are overshadowed by the fact he had an all-time clutch World Series HR.

I think another thing is that his negative moments (his performance from 07-10, him being held at 3rd, and his 2016 performance after that contract) really stand out to folks. In a way that makes people forget just how good of a hitter he was from 2011-2015. He was Silver Slugger worthy in 11’ and was in contention for a Silver Slugger in 15’ before his groin injury. Dude was just nails for us at the most important time.

We may have not had a George Brett on the 14-15 teams (as much as I love Cain), but Gordo deserves Frank White status in our org. Heck, check this out

Frank White career WAR: 34.8
Alex Gordon career WAR: 34.7

tk13
09-24-2020, 11:36 AM
This is the home run people won't talk as much about. Won game 1 against the Orioles and set the tone for the series to help get us to the WS.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HzN5sVi9AfI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chiefspants
09-24-2020, 11:41 AM
This is the home run people won't talk as much about. Won game 1 against the Orioles and set the tone for the series to help get us to the WS.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HzN5sVi9AfI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here's another hit that was just as important and as easily forgotten. It was off of a lefty (David Price), with 2 outs, and in a tie game. We may not even get to the 2015 World Series or Alex's iconic home run without this hit.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Q62WtW6e66s" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Why Not?
09-24-2020, 11:47 AM
That homer off Familia was as clutch as clutch gets. His triple off Bumgarner in the 9th inning of game 7 of the WS was as clutch as clutch gets. In another universe Perez drives him home and we're back to back champs.

I love Alex but......”triple” ?

Chiefspants
09-24-2020, 11:49 AM

Honestly just managing a hit off of Bum in that moment was clutch. I will forever be annoyed that Ned didn't pinch hit Willingham for Nori (who was 0-16 in the WS coming into that game and against a lefty buzzsaw). Just felt like the Royals, as a whole, froze the moment Bum came into the game. Even Esky's decision to bunt seemed to really help Bum out when he couldn't find the zone early in his performance (Bum even admitted that the K "rattled him" when he came out to pitch).

Alex was the only one who didn't seem overwhelmed by the moment. Even Hosmer (normally Mr. Clutch) looked like a deer in the headlights that entire AB (Bum flat out toyed with him).

Why Not?
09-24-2020, 11:54 AM
Honestly just managing a hit off of Bum in that moment was clutch. I will forever be annoyed that Ned didn't pinch hit Willingham for Nori (who was 0-16 in the WS coming into that game and against a lefty buzzsaw). Just felt like the Royals, as a whole, froze the moment Bum came into the game. Even Esky's decision to bunt seemed to really help Bum out when he couldn't find the zone early in his performance (Bum even admitted that the K "rattled him" when he came out to pitch).

Alex was the only one who didn't seem overwhelmed by the moment. Even Hosmer (normally Mr. Clutch) looked like a deer in the headlights that entire AB (Bum flat out toyed with him).

I don’t think there was anything that could be done. Bumgarner was just on another level. I remember talking to my dad the day after that game 7 and he said “they ran into Koufax. What can you do?”

Bearcat
09-24-2020, 12:28 PM

Giving them the extra out with the bunt grinds my gears... I really wish they would have been more aggressive in that situation, especially with Bumgarner struggling a bit, like you said.

Halfcan
09-24-2020, 12:41 PM
Best wishes Gordo- thanks for the memories and WS title.

Demonpenz
09-24-2020, 01:00 PM
He fought and worked hard
Bust to greatness

KurtCobain
09-24-2020, 01:04 PM
will always love this guy

alpha_omega
09-24-2020, 01:06 PM
Happy retirement Alex!

Found this interesting.....

Gordon sits eighth in career WAR for the Royals, behind George Brett, Kevin Appier, Amos Otis, Willie Wilson, Bret Saberhagan, Mark Gubicza and Frank White.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/alex-gordon-royals-homegrown-all-star-announces-retirement-from-baseball/

EPodolak
09-24-2020, 01:14 PM
Glad he was on our side. Appreciate his role bringing some glory to KC.

ChiefBlueCFC
09-24-2020, 01:26 PM

Here's another hit that was just as important and as easily forgotten (off of a left (David Price), with 2 outs, and in a tie game). We may not even get to the 2015 World Series or Alex's iconic home run without this hit.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Q62WtW6e66s" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

All the videos from '14 and '15 - man - just takes me back to a happy, stress-filled place... gives me chills.

Remember being in Minneapolis at Brit's Pub watching game 2 of ALCS the day before the Chiefs game in Minnesota, wearing my Gordo jersey. So many KC people in Minneapolis that weekend. Chiefs game sucked, but it was fun nonetheless.

smithandrew051
09-24-2020, 01:29 PM
One of the greatest defensive LF of all time.

siberian khatru
09-24-2020, 01:32 PM
I don’t think there was anything that could be done. Bumgarner was just on another level. I remember talking to my dad the day after that game 7 and he said “they ran into Koufax. What can you do?”

And it's not like that was a fluke. Bumgarner is one of the greatest World Series pitchers in history (3 Series, 5 games, 4 starts, 36 IP, ONE EARNED RUN -- and that was the HR by Salvy in Game 1).

siberian khatru
09-24-2020, 01:35 PM
One of the greatest defensive LF of all time.

Best I've ever seen. And I can remember Joe Rudi and Yaz.

siberian khatru
09-24-2020, 01:37 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Whit Merrifield told me about Alex Gordon&#39;s future plans: &quot;He tells me he is going to pick up golf now. I can’t wait to kick his ass.”</p>&mdash; Jeffrey Flanagan (@FlannyMLB) <a href="https://twitter.com/FlannyMLB/status/1309212840931319809?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 24, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Pasta Little Brioni
09-24-2020, 01:47 PM
Dominating....the couch and cheetos Al bundy style

DJJasonp
09-24-2020, 01:55 PM

and somewhere.......Jason LaCanfora still weeps.......

dlphg9
09-24-2020, 02:03 PM
One of my favorite memories of Alex was that in 2010 he got sent to the minors for 75 games because he seemed to be really sucking shit (people want to act like he was trash his first 2 years in the league, but he had a .725 OPS 36 doubles, 15 HRs and 60 RBIs his rookie year and his 2nd year he had a .783 OPS 35 Doubles, 16 HRs, and 59 RBIs. He was one of the best players on the team) and had just had a shitty year before in 2009.

2011 comes around and he's interviewed before the season and says that he is going to dominate this year. Everyone, myself included was like yeah sure Alex youre gonna dominate, dominate the bench after you get kicked out of the starting lineup you sack of shit. He absolutely tears shit up in 2011 and the rest is history.

suzzer99
09-24-2020, 02:31 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eL49CC4t1ek" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

eDave
09-24-2020, 02:33 PM
4 years too late

Lulz. What an asshole.

CoMoChief
09-24-2020, 02:41 PM
Good story on his career....sent down to minors walking on those "draft bust" eggshells...comes back to learn new position at the highest level only to become the best def LF in the game and becomes a WS hero...amazing.

Chiefspants
09-24-2020, 03:17 PM
All the videos from '14 and '15 - man - just takes me back to a happy, stress-filled place... gives me chills.

Remember being in Minneapolis at Brit's Pub watching game 2 of ALCS the day before the Chiefs game in Minnesota, wearing my Gordo jersey. So many KC people in Minneapolis that weekend. Chiefs game sucked, but it was fun nonetheless.

Since we're on Gordo postseason highlights, let's do another (admittedly, I'm a massive Gordo homer).

Bases loaded, 2 out, Gordo hits a shot that's a grand slam in most other parks not named Kauffman. It's a critical bases clearing double against a lefty and causes Scioscia to make a panic move to his weak bullpen. The Royals promptly trash this bullpen to seal the sweep. Whole different game (and potentially season/postseason) if Gordo K's there.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eC6poKXwhcw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Redbled
09-24-2020, 03:22 PM
All Time Royal Great.

sedated
09-24-2020, 03:41 PM
Definitely an interesting career. Hyped as the savior of the franchise, spent 5+ years being terrible and hated by fans, turned into a legit All-Star while the franchise was climbing out of the muck to win a championship (and subsequently having some of the biggest plays in franchise history), getting paid and turning back into a pumpkin.

Lining up the best stretch of his career with the World Series runs was very fortunate for his legacy.

Coach
09-24-2020, 03:47 PM
Probably Allard Baird's only best draft pick as his tenure as GM.

Chiefspants
09-24-2020, 03:53 PM
Definitely an interesting career. Hyped as the savior of the franchise, spent 5+ years being terrible and hated by fans, turned into a legit All-Star while the franchise was climbing out of the muck to win a championship (and subsequently having some of the biggest plays in franchise history), getting paid and turning back into a pumpkin.

Lining up the best stretch of his career with the World Series runs was very fortunate for his legacy.

Joakim Soria is very much the yin to that yang.

sedated
09-24-2020, 04:06 PM
Probably Allard Baird's only best draft pick as his tenure as GM.

Zack Greinke?

Buehler445
09-24-2020, 04:08 PM
Big Gordon fan. BIG. He wasn’t the best. But he was the best he could be. Dude never pussed out, never soft, left it all out there every time. I remember reading an article years ago that he had some ridiculous warm up protocol that was harder than most guys workouts.

Accordingly he was a joy to watch. Dude was a straight fucking sniper in LF. I’m one of the dorks that loves defense and his was filthy.

RE: homer thing. He got the contract over Moose and Hoz and Cain because of the postseason performance. He had ice on his veins the whole time. Dude was a fucking superhero. Like shit from a movie.

Contract was a bad call, and we pretty much all knew it. But given the way it all went down, I don’t even care. We weren’t winning shit, and it’s like a thanks for that payment.

sedated
09-24-2020, 04:16 PM
I remember hearing a story about the Royals locker room during the 2014-2016 era - at a time of frustration, one of the players was getting out of line about something. Hosmer was the usual leader of the team, but more in a jovial way. This particular time, a loud "hey!" came from the back of the locker room - it was Gordon. He didn't say anything else, and everyone immediately shut the F up.

Coach
09-24-2020, 04:28 PM
Zack Greinke?

Good point, forgot about that one. Thanks for the heads up.

Bl00dyBizkitz
09-24-2020, 04:33 PM
Big Gordon fan. BIG. He wasn’t the best. But he was the best he could be. Dude never pussed out, never soft, left it all out there every time. I remember reading an article years ago that he had some ridiculous warm up protocol that was harder than most guys workouts.

Accordingly he was a joy to watch. Dude was a straight ****ing sniper in LF. I’m one of the dorks that loves defense and his was filthy.

RE: homer thing. He got the contract over Moose and Hoz and Cain because of the postseason performance. He had ice on his veins the whole time. Dude was a ****ing superhero. Like shit from a movie.

Contract was a bad call, and we pretty much all knew it. But given the way it all went down, I don’t even care. We weren’t winning shit, and it’s like a thanks for that payment.

Postseason Alex Gordon was just a different guy. He really was a superhero. And on top of that, his defense really speaks for itself, dude had grit. He definitely wasn't the next George Brett, but we very likely don't win that 2015 Crown without him. Awesome player.

Mama Hip Rockets
09-24-2020, 04:34 PM
Here's another hit that was just as important and as easily forgotten. It was off of a lefty (David Price), with 2 outs, and in a tie game. We may not even get to the 2015 World Series or Alex's iconic home run without this hit.

I was at that game. Got goosebumps just seeing this memory. Thanks for sharing.

Mama Hip Rockets
09-24-2020, 04:41 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eL49CC4t1ek" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

GOAT

Mama Hip Rockets
09-24-2020, 04:44 PM
If you feel like watching 23 minutes of Gordon highlights:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vQ0JMeBqRX8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mama Hip Rockets
09-24-2020, 04:46 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/T1hkrGU2pIg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lcarus
09-24-2020, 05:04 PM

Lol well you know what I mean

Chiefspants
09-24-2020, 05:07 PM
I was at that game. Got goosebumps just seeing this memory. Thanks for sharing.

Same. Ticket prices crashed that morning (they dropped from $450 to about $100) and I cancelled a test I had paid for at KU to pay for the ticket (needed to pass it by spring to graduate lol). A buddy of mine had driven up to see a KU football game (they were getting shredded by some dude named Patrick Mahomes) and I texted him asking if he wanted to change plans and see playoff baseball. We got standing room only tickets and that whole comeback was the wildest sporting even I’ve ever been a part of - me, my buddy, his Dad and maybe 20 other people were in a stairwell (a poor usher kept muttering we needed to leave but none of us budged) and the moment Gordo ripped that double the entire stairwell exploded. I remember I even went airborne for a moment from a dude who jumped forward and all of us ended up falling down. We all ended up bringing the usher in for a group hug before all of us leapt in just, utter cathartic joy along the hall of fame section. A reporter for the star ended up interviewing us about SRO and said “I’ve never seen a reaction like that covering baseball.”

A lot of people say the rally started with Zo’s pop-up, but lesser known is they put a drunk Eric Stonestreet on the Jumbotron during the 7th inning stretch and he screamed “LETS ****ING GO” and the crowd went absolutely apeshit after being deadened by Price’s 1-hitter to that point. Always thought that may have helped cause the miscommunication with Bautista in the outfield.

I remember just soaking in the moment in after Davis got that final out. Was one of the best days of my life.

redfan
09-24-2020, 05:13 PM
I bought into the early hype, **** yeah Nebraska
Hokkayyy, so he's not Brett, but he'll still be good
Minors, switch positions, sure whatevs sometimes it just doesn't happen bro
Hey he actually does not suck, what a catch
1rst WS, aw shit you coulda made it bro, uhh maybe not
2nd chances sometimes happen, makes the most of it this time
I didn't hate the contract even if we kinda knew what would happen, pay that man his money
Man 2014-15 sure was fun, this town came alive like I've never seen

I could watch AG highlights all day, thx for posting

Mama Hip Rockets
09-24-2020, 05:22 PM
Same. Ticket prices crashed that morning (they dropped from $450 to about $100) and I cancelled a test I had paid for at KU to pay for the ticket (needed to pass it by spring to graduate lol). A buddy of mine had driven up to see a KU football game (they were getting shredded by some dude named Patrick Mahomes) and I texted him asking if he wanted to change plans and see playoff baseball. We got standing room only tickets and that whole comeback was the wildest sporting even I’ve ever been a part of - me, my buddy, his Dad and maybe 20 other people were in a stairwell (a poor usher kept muttering we needed to leave but none of us budged) and the moment Gordo ripped that double the entire stairwell exploded. I remember I even went airborne for a moment from a dude who jumped forward and all of us ended up falling down. We all ended up bringing the usher in for a group hug before all of us leapt in just, utter cathartic joy along the hall of fame section. A reporter for the star ended up interviewing us about SRO and said “I’ve never seen a reaction like that covering baseball.”

A lot of people say the rally started with Zo’s pop-up, but lesser known is they put a drunk Eric Stonestreet on the Jumbotron during the 7th inning stretch and he screamed “LETS ****ING GO” and the crowd went absolutely apeshit after being deadened by Price’s 1-hitter to that point. Always thought that may have helped cause the miscommunication with Bautista in the outfield.

Was one of the best days of my life.

Someone on here (MTG#10) offered a free ticket the day before the game. All he asked for was for me to drive. So I actually got to go to that game for free. The energy in that crowd in that 7th inning was definitely one of the greatest moments I've ever experienced.

dlphg9
09-24-2020, 05:28 PM

Gordon was not even close to terrible for his first 5 years.

Year 1 .725 OPS 2.0 WAR
Year 2 .783 OPS 2.8 WAR
Year 3 .703 OPS 0.3 WAR 49 games played
Year 4 .671 OPS -0.5 WAR 74 games played
Year 5 Domination .879 OPS 7.3 WAR Gold Glove LF

I will not let people spread lies about Alex. He was a decent player years 1 and 2, then had a 123 game stretch of awfulness, but quickly became a perennial Gold Glover and had a 4-5 year stretch of being one of the best players in the game.

No he wasn't the next George Brett, but those expectations were completely unrealistic. He was maybe the biggest reason why we won the WS and he was a Royal for life. Alex Gordon will always be my favorite Royal of all time.

suzzer99
09-26-2020, 11:04 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&quot;I blacked out after I touched first.&quot;<br><br>Gordo breaks down his iconic home run.<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/4EverRoyal?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#4EverRoyal</a> <a href="https://t.co/dhCd3lHMia">pic.twitter.com/dhCd3lHMia</a></p>&mdash; Kansas City Royals (@Royals) <a href="https://twitter.com/Royals/status/1309870344161820672?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 26, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Chiefspants
09-26-2020, 11:15 AM
Basically those saying they were disappointed at this point are saying “I’m disappointed in this generation’s Frank White”

Demonpenz
09-26-2020, 11:32 AM
Never drank pop never ate junk food. His forearms are stupid big

suzzer99
09-26-2020, 11:56 AM
https://www.kansascity.com/latest-news/1q2etu/picture244036882/alternates/FREE_768/KCM_Royals070620JAT585F

Dude is scary shredded.

lewdog
09-26-2020, 12:38 PM
Might not be a baseball player in the game today who takes better care of his body. His work ethic got him to where he is. Much respect.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
09-26-2020, 01:11 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Gordo&#39;s impact on our clubhouse will never go away.<br><br>Tonight, the 4⃣ above his locker became permanent.<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/4EverRoyal?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#4EverRoyal</a> <a href="https://t.co/HDuZ1f4Ofp">pic.twitter.com/HDuZ1f4Ofp</a></p>&mdash; Kansas City Royals (@Royals) <a href="https://twitter.com/Royals/status/1309683688704221184?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 26, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

sedated
09-26-2020, 03:37 PM
Basically those saying they were disappointed at this point are saying “I’m disappointed in this generation’s Frank White”

Baseball isn't the same as it was 40 years ago, those types of players have been downgraded. Also, White played middle infield, not LF.

suzzer99
09-26-2020, 03:43 PM
If Gordon was any better we wouldn't have been able to keep him. He hit that Mike Sweeney sweet spot.

teedubya
09-26-2020, 03:51 PM
Nobody worked harder than Gordo. I hope he stays around the organization. Much love #4!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chiefshrink
09-26-2020, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the memories.

The HR against Familia in the World Series is one that won't soon be forgotten.

This HR really won the WS psychologically for the Royals and psychologically doomed the Mets and what was to come.

Demonpenz
09-26-2020, 04:40 PM
Gordon is the all time leader in broken bats do to his forarms and because he had the same swing most of the time. Dude was do for a broken bat roller once a game

Demonpenz
09-26-2020, 04:41 PM
https://www.reddit.com/r/KCRoyals/comments/36mpuj/how_i_see_alex_gordon_after_all_the_broken_bats/

Chiefspants
09-26-2020, 11:11 PM
Baseball isn't the same as it was 40 years ago, those types of players have been downgraded. Also, White played middle infield, not LF.

Gold Gloves. Elite (all-time) defense (and yes, that mattered JUST AS MUCH to the 15 Royals) and clutch hits. Ended up bringing almost the exact same value to their teams, too.

It seems pretty on point to me. I understand your argument if you feel great defense at 2B is inherently more valuable than defense in LF, though.