PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs The Dirty Birds' Defense

FAX
09-24-2020, 02:41 PM
Are they as stout ... as say ... New England or the Niners?

I have my doubts. However, I would appreciate any informed insight Planeteers might be willing to provide.

Looking back at 2019 ...

The Ravens' secondary seemed to predominantly rely on man-to-man coverage ... at least, it appeared to lean that way (I haven't reviewed all their 2019 games).

As for their rush ...

It also seems that they can go a little "blitz-happy" and, although I don't know the percentages, I get the sense that they often depend on the blitz for pressure.

More concerning, perhaps, is the fact that they run a significant number of d-line stunts (similar to the approach used by NE and SF). I assume this is because they're often playing man in the back-end and feel the need to pressure the QB ASAP before opposing receivers break free in their man coverage.

If our o-line can strap it on and handle the stunts and the expected blitz packages, we have sufficient downfield speed to get open against man. And, of course, Mahomes has pretty good stats against the blitz.

To me, the most fearsome defenses we've faced over the last couple of years included NE in 2018 and SF last year. Very different schemes, but stout nonetheless.

Do the Dirty Birds bring the same level of stuff?

FAX THE CURIOUS

ModSocks
09-24-2020, 02:51 PM
They're bigger than they are fast and they play a high risk, high reward style of defense.

Which, against Mahomes, is asking to get burned.

TLO
09-24-2020, 03:03 PM
I thought the Falcon's were the "dirty birds"?

Am I mistaken?

Baby Lee
09-24-2020, 03:05 PM
I thought the Falcon's were the "dirty birds"?

Am I mistaken?

Ravens should be flight rats.

Marcellus
09-24-2020, 03:22 PM
We put 33 points w/500 yards of offense on them last year and Mahomes threw for 374 yards and 3TDs and we rushed for 140 yards total. :shrug:

Oh yea and we didn't have Tyreek Hill in that game.

Megatron96
09-24-2020, 03:24 PM
Are they as stout ... as say ... New England or the Niners?

I have my doubts. However, I would appreciate any informed insight Planeteers might be willing to provide.

Looking back at 2019 ...

The Ravens' secondary seemed to predominantly rely on man-to-man coverage ... at least, it appeared to lean that way (I haven't reviewed all their 2019 games).

As for their rush ...

It also seems that they can go a little "blitz-happy" and, although I don't know the percentages, I get the sense that they often depend on the blitz for pressure.

More concerning, perhaps, is the fact that they run a significant number of d-line stunts (similar to the approach used by NE and SF). I assume this is because they're often playing man in the back-end and feel the need to pressure the QB ASAP before opposing receivers break free in their man coverage.

If our o-line can strap it on and handle the stunts and the expected blitz packages, we have sufficient downfield speed to get open against man. And, of course, Mahomes has pretty good stats against the blitz.

To me, the most fearsome defenses we've faced over the last couple of years included NE in 2018 and SF last year. Very different schemes, but stout nonetheless.

Do the Dirty Birds bring the same level of stuff?

FAX THE CURIOUS

IIRC, the Ravens blitz more than any other team in the league. They don't generate consistent pressure with their front four. They bring heat with LBs/CB/S. We'll see how that works for them or if they really blitz that much with those positions.

As for their stunts, the Titans did that a lot in the AFCCG. So did NE in week 14 last season. Both teams couldn't generate a consistent rush with their down DLs. And a front 4 that can consistently get home is the kind of D that Mahomes has the most trouble with. If they can't, Mahomes will pick them apart. And Mahomes is the best there is against the kind of blitz packages that the Ravens usually use.

And when did the NE become a great defense this year? Didn't they lose like half their starters?

FAX
09-24-2020, 03:26 PM
I'm good with Flight Rats. (Thank you, Mr. Baby Lee.)

I'm just wondering ... you know ... how Planeteers would compare the Flight Rats' overall defensive scheme and/or personnel against NE and SF (two teams we've struggled against over the last couple of years).

I have to admit that I don't like the matchup of our defense against their O. Therefore, I think our hopes are pinned to the opposite side of the ball.

FAX THE STILL CUROUS

FAX
09-24-2020, 03:34 PM
IIRC, the Ravens blitz more than any other team in the league. They don't generate consistent pressure with their front four. They bring heat with LBs/CB/S. We'll see how that works for them or if they really blitz that much with those positions.

As for their stunts, the Titans did that a lot in the AFCCG. So did NE in week 14 last season. Both teams couldn't generate a consistent rush with their down DLs. And a front 4 that can consistently get home is the kind of D that Mahomes has the most trouble with. If they can't, Mahomes will pick them apart. And Mahomes is the best there is against the kind of blitz packages that the Ravens usually use.

And when did the NE become a great defense this year? Didn't they lose like half their starters?

I believe I referred to the 2018 NE game(s) in the OP.

As for our ability to handle a "stunt-heavy" package (and although I haven't yet reviewed Sunday's All-22), it sure seemed like the Bolts ran a lot of stunts in that game that caused problems, did they not?

I'm pretty confident in our skill positions against a blitz (depending on how "exotic" the packages they bring). We'll miss Sammy on the crossers, but with Kelce and the Glide, we should still be able to take advantage of voids in the 2nd level (hopefully). And, of course, there's also the running ability of Mahomes to counter those 2nd level vacancies as the secondary is chasing in man-to-man matchups downfield.

FAX THE CURIOUS LEANING TOWARD CONCERNED

Megatron96
09-24-2020, 03:41 PM
I believe I referred to the 2018 NE game(s) in the OP.

As for our ability to handle a "stunt-heavy" package (and although I haven't yet reviewed Sunday's All-22), it sure seemed like the Bolts ran a lot of stunts in that game that caused problems, did they not?

I'm pretty confident in our skill positions against a blitz (depending on how "exotic" the packages they bring). We'll miss Sammy on the crossers, but with Kelce and the Glide, we should still be able to take advantage of voids in the 2nd level (hopefully). And, of course, there's also the running ability of Mahomes to counter those 2nd level vacancies as the secondary is chasing in man-to-man matchups downfield.

FAX THE CURIOUS LEANING TOWARD CONCERNED

Ah, sorry didn't see the 2019 ref.

Yeah LAC seemed to run some stunts, but I don't think that's normal for them. It may become the new normal for every team we face going forward though. Point being, it's possible we didn't really expect all those stunts from the chargers. But we've seen it a lot recently, and I'd bet that Andy is prepping for it going forward.

Also, Mahomes hasn't had that much trouble with the Ravens front the last two meetings. I don't think he's been sacked or hurried that much, has he?

And Sammy seems like he thinks he's going to play.

smithandrew051
09-24-2020, 03:45 PM
We put 33 points w/500 yards of offense on them last year and Mahomes threw for 374 yards and 3TDs and we rushed for 140 yards total. :shrug:

Oh yea and we didn't have Tyreek Hill in that game.

We also didn’t have Eric Fisher or Damien Williams

CoMoChief
09-24-2020, 03:52 PM
BAL defense is good.

Glad to give my 2cents.