PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Why Patrick Mahomes makes his home in Kansas City, not New York City

Pitt Gorilla
09-28-2020, 02:29 PM
https://media.tenor.com/images/6d5617f038f936e9c6efde2c5ab79ee1/tenor.gif

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29961043/why-chiefs-qb-patrick-mahomes-makes-home-kansas-city-not-new-york-city

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Patrick Mahomes was just 5 years old in 2000 but still recalls the reaction of the fans at Shea Stadium when his father, Pat, with an ERA of over 5.00, would come in to pitch for the New York Mets.

It made an impression on the younger Mahomes that maybe the big city wouldn't be the best place for him if he someday played sports professionally.

"He started pitching badly, and right away when he got in the game, he started getting booed," Mahomes said. "I got to see that firsthand as a young kid."

When Mahomes signed his 10-year contract extension over the summer, it almost guaranteed he would play most -- if not all -- of his career in Kansas City, one of professional football's smallest markets, with a metropolitan population of 2.14 million people. After Green Bay, Kansas City is perhaps the closest thing the NFL has to an anti-New York, and it could be the home of one of the league's biggest stars through the 2031 season.

In fact, Mahomes -- a regular around town -- has expanded his involvement in the city with his 15 and the Mahomies Foundation, which benefits Kansas City-area children, as well as becoming a part owner of Major League Baseball's Kansas City Royals.

Mahomes signed such a long extension for football reasons, of course. In February, the Chiefs won their first Super Bowl in 50 years and appear set for a dynastic run. Mahomes loves playing for coach Andy Reid and with this group of teammates. He said he has faith that 42-year-old general manager Brett Veach will continue to build a championship team around him after all of his teammates have moved on and even if the 62-year-old Reid decides at some point in the next 12 years to retire.

But as part of the deal, he's also getting Kansas City. It's a town where he says he can still go out at times without being bothered. He's choosing Kansas City over places such as New York, Los Angeles and even Dallas, which isn't far from his hometown of Tyler, Texas. He said he's fine with that part of it, too.

"People have been generous here," Mahomes said shortly before the Chiefs started training camp. "They've been nice to me and my family, and so I'm excited to have my future here. You go to some sports cities and if you're playing badly on Sundays, it's like they hate you and your family. Then you come to Kansas City and it doesn't even matter. They care about the person you are and how you treat other people. It's cool to be in a city like this."

Mahomes could be paid as much as a half a billion dollars over the 12 years of his contract, and that still might end up being a steal for the Chiefs. Not just because of Mahomes' talent, but because the quarterback salary market might have left his deal far behind by 2031. But Veach and the Chiefs didn't have to talk Mahomes into staying. It was something he wanted.

"He understands that there needs to be a sense of long-term thinking," Veach said. "[He said,] 'I want to win a long time here in Kansas City. There are only certain ways that this can be possible, and this is what's important to me. I know I'm going to be taken care of the rest of my life, but I want to leave behind a legacy. And Kansas City is the place I want to do it.'"

Mahomes, whose face can be seen during commercial breaks on Sunday almost as often as during Chiefs games, wouldn't be the first top NFL quarterback to play most or all of his career in a smaller city and still enjoy plenty of national attention. Brett Favre played 16 seasons in Green Bay. Peyton Manning spent much of his career in Indianapolis. Aaron Rodgers plays for the Packers. In terms of national popularity or endorsement opportunities, those players were not hurt by playing in a smaller market. It didn't harm the league, either. At Super Bowl LIV, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell was asked what he thought of Mahomes' playing in Kansas City.

"Patrick Mahomes anywhere in the NFL is good for me," Goodell said. "Not only is he an incredible player, but he is an incredible young man. Wherever he plays in the NFL, he's going to have an impact. I'm proud to have him as a Kansas City Chief. I guess there are 31 other teams that wouldn't mind having him, either."

Mahomes has been such a success during his two full seasons as an NFL starter that it's easy to conclude he could thrive playing anywhere, including New York. In 2018, his first season as a starter, he made the transition with ease. He became only the second player in NFL history to throw for 5,000 yards and 50 touchdowns, and was named the league's MVP.

Last year, his stats were more modest, but he was spectacular in the playoffs and in Super Bowl LIV, where he was named the game's MVP.

Playing in Kansas City could give Mahomes a better chance to succeed long term. Dick Vermeil, who coached the Philadelphia Eagles and later the Chiefs, recently said the fan bases of the teams are similar with regard to their passion and loyalty. The difference, he said, is that Chiefs fans are far more forgiving when the local team loses and the star players don't fare well.

Reid coached in both cities as well. He was with the Eagles for 14 seasons and is now in his eighth season with the Chiefs.

"I know he loves it here," Reid said. "He understands the benefits of community. We saw that when he came here and how he reached out and put himself out there with the community. It's a great place for him to live. I think the fans respect him, and when he needs a little space, he can get the space, but at the same time, he can still be the quarterback of this franchise.

"He could survive anywhere. He's wired that way. But this is a good place for him. I think he'll thrive here."

Mahomes began to take over Kansas City not long after he replaced Alex Smith as the starting quarterback in 2018. He appeared in local television commercials and on cereal boxes. Before the pandemic, Mahomes could be seen around town at baseball or soccer games, NASCAR races or concerts. This summer, he got engaged to his longtime girlfriend, Brittany, in one of the suites at Arrowhead Stadium.

Mahomes further planted a flag in Kansas City over the summer by purchasing a piece of the Royals. And it's not like the Royals and owner John Sherman, who took over the team in 2019, went looking for Mahomes. It was Mahomes who contacted Sherman.

"He saw this as a way to double-down on Kansas City," Sherman said. "When we acquired the team last November, we put together a great ownership group here ... all people who loved baseball and loved Kansas City. Patrick kind of met that criteria. He did it for the right reasons. I felt like it was good for Kansas City, good for the Royals and also good for him. He's got an interest in the game, and I think he also sees this also as a way to learn a little bit about the business of the game.

"He comes from a baseball background. He clearly loves the game. He chose football for his profession, but he's certainly embracing Kansas City in a big way. That means a lot to us."

Mahomes could have asked to join the ownership group of 29 other baseball teams. But he said he wasn't interested in owning a team anywhere besides Kansas City.

"One hundred percent," he said. "I'm going to be here a long time. I want to keep doing what I can to put roots down and trying to make the franchises, the Chiefs and the Royals, the best they can be. I wanted to be a part of the Royals baseball team. Being at the games, knowing the atmosphere in Kansas City, how much everybody loves the Royals and the Chiefs. I thought it was a good fit.

"I'm going to be in Kansas City for a long, long time, and I want to make sure that people know that as much as they're passionate about the Chiefs and how we play, I'm passionate about being a part of Kansas City. If that's through my foundation, trying to help the kids in Kansas City, playing game days here at Arrowhead Stadium or just being a part of things like the Royals, I want to find ways I can ingrain myself into the city that has shown me so much loyalty and passion every Sunday."

DJ's left nut
09-28-2020, 02:33 PM
Because the commute's a lot easier.

Teicher sucks.

ModSocks
09-28-2020, 02:37 PM
Hard hitting journalism right there.

smithandrew051
09-28-2020, 02:38 PM
He plays for the Kansas City Chiefs

Munson
09-28-2020, 02:39 PM
Because fuck New York City!!!

Halfcan
Kansas City loves you too Patrick!

sedated
Because the commute's a lot easier.

Teicher sucks.

As opposed to Tony G who lived in CA and hated KC?

Rasputin
Signs $500 million dollar contract for Kansas City Chiefs

Why would he live in New York City their sasla sucks.

Hammock Parties
09-28-2020, 02:40 PM
Because he's not a fargin icehole.

ModSocks
09-28-2020, 02:43 PM
Doesn't he have a 2nd house in Dallas or some shit? I thought i read that recently.

ptlyon
09-28-2020, 02:45 PM
I'd have one in bora bora by now if I was him

RealSNR
09-28-2020, 02:47 PM
When Mahomes signed his 10-year contract extension over the summer, it almost guaranteed he would play most -- if not all -- of his career in Kansas City, one of professional football's smallest markets, with a metropolitan population of 2.14 million people. After Green Bay, Kansas City is perhaps the closest thing the NFL has to an anti-New York, and it could be the home of one of the league's biggest stars through the 2031 season.
"

What the fuck, Adam?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metropolitan_statistical_areas

Kansas City metro area has more people than:

Indianapolis
Cleveland
Nashville
Jacksonville
New Orleans
Buffalo
Green Bay

And if you go by city proper, it has more people than:

Miami
Minneapolis
Tampa
New Orleans
Cleveland
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
Buffalo
Las Vegas
Green Bay

I'm not saying it's Chicago-sized, but I've been to Green Bay, and it ain't much at all. Kansas City isn't close to Green Bay, and there are a good handful of NFL cities that are closer to being the smallest by a wide margin.

rabblerouser
09-28-2020, 02:52 PM
Because he's not a fargin icehole.

Miserable corksoaker...fargin' sneaky bastage

PHOG
09-28-2020, 02:52 PM
An investigative reporter Teicher's not. :doh!:

tatorhog
09-28-2020, 02:58 PM
I'd have one in bora bora by now if I was him

No kidding. Get his dual citizenship in France, and have one of those awesome over-water huts built biggie-sized. I'd probably lean towards Maupiti. its next door, seems to be equally comfortable, but has less hotels, etc built up in it.

BWillie
09-28-2020, 03:02 PM
What a great fluff piece.

InChiefsHeaven
09-28-2020, 03:05 PM
Fluff piece is fluff. Adam Tiecher sucks.

Having said that, I'm in love with Patrick Mahomes. I don't even live in KC and I'm proud to have him a part of the city.

Now, get Brittany to make a bunch of little Patricks so we can have a real dynasty!!

DRM08
09-28-2020, 03:19 PM
Hidden benefit of KC. Cost of Living is bound to be a lot lower than places like NYC, San Fran, Seattle, etc.

Pitt Gorilla
09-28-2020, 03:26 PM
Yeah, its fluffy. But it's also about Patrick and how awesome he is. Who doesn't want to read that?

eDave
09-28-2020, 03:29 PM
Hidden benefit of KC. Cost of Living is bound to be a lot lower than places like NYC, San Fran, Seattle, etc.

$.5B scoffs at cost of living arguments.

DRM08
09-28-2020, 03:32 PM
$0.5B scoffs at cost of living arguments.

He has been paid chump change so far, about $24M total by the Chiefs. Maybe another $10-20M from endorsements. Take out taxes and such. At this early stage of his career earnings, I'm sure being in KC is a much better deal for him than a super expensive place like San Fran or Seattle.

cabletech94
09-28-2020, 03:35 PM
Signs $500 million dollar contract for Kansas City Chiefs

Why would he live in New York City their sasla sucks.

Exactly!!!!!

And their SALSA sucks too!!!!

CHIEEEEEEEEEEFS!!!

Discuss Thrower
09-28-2020, 03:41 PM
On the one hand, idiotic Teicher article is idiotic.

On the other, idiotic Teicher article means there isn't really anything broken with the team thus he's stretching for content... Which is good.

wazu
09-28-2020, 03:45 PM
You people need to take off your Teicher hate-colored classes for five minutes and let yourself enjoy this amazing column.

kstater
09-28-2020, 03:55 PM
He has been paid chump change so far, about $24M total by the Chiefs. Maybe another $10-20M from endorsements. Take out taxes and such. At this early stage of his career earnings, I'm sure being in KC is a much better deal for him than a super expensive place like San Fran or Seattle.You sign a half billion dollar contract, you don't need cash reserves to get what you want or need

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

ChiefsFanatic
09-28-2020, 03:55 PM
Doesn't he have a 2nd house in Dallas or some shit? I thought i read that recently.He bought a house in Dallas for quarantine. I am not sure, but I think that's where he was when everything started to get locked down. He bought a house with a big home gym so he could stay in shape and improve his body, in hopes of being more durable.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

DaneMcCloud
09-28-2020, 03:56 PM
What the fuck, Adam?

I'm certain that Teicher is referring to TV Marketshare, not the population of cities.

https://mediatracks.com/resources/nielsen-dma-rankings-2020/

Kansas City is 32nd overall.

Indianapolis is 25th, Cleveland is 19th and so on.

DaneMcCloud
09-28-2020, 03:57 PM
Mahomes owns a home in Dallas and spent a big part of the offseason there, not KC.

Hoover
09-28-2020, 04:05 PM
What the fuck, Adam?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metropolitan_statistical_areas

Kansas City metro area has more people than:

Indianapolis
Cleveland
Nashville
Jacksonville
New Orleans
Buffalo
Green Bay

And if you go by city proper, it has more people than:

Miami
Minneapolis
Tampa
New Orleans
Cleveland
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
Buffalo
Las Vegas
Green Bay

I'm not saying it's Chicago-sized, but I've been to Green Bay, and it ain't much at all. Kansas City isn't close to Green Bay, and there are a good handful of NFL cities that are closer to being the smallest by a wide margin.
Great post.

I hate people who shit on their own community because they can't appreciate what they have.

RealSNR
09-28-2020, 04:09 PM
Mahomes can live on Mars during the offseason for all I care.

He plays for the Chiefs. He wins Super Bowls for the Chiefs. That's what matters.

FloridaMan88
09-28-2020, 04:26 PM
I don’t think most professional athletes for NYC-based teams even make NYC their permanent/offseason homes due to high taxes, cost of living, shitty winter weather, etc.