PDA

View Full Version : Life Sleeping on your side and shoulder problems

Mr. Wizard
10-02-2020, 08:27 PM
I am a side sleeper and toss from side to side multiple times per night. My shoulders are quite a bit wider than my hips and I have chronic shoulder pain. I have tried full body pillows, angle pillows, multiple pillow configurations, mattress toppers, etc...
Anyone else have this issue? Ideas?

UPDATE. I now have a 3” gel pad mattress pad and a small round pillow under my armpit and a body pillow to put my top knee on. Took a 2 hour nap and never budged. I will let you know how close to sleep Nirvana I am tomorrow.

Problem solved. Thanks planet! I am now sleeping like a baby. Good night ��

LoneWolf
10-02-2020, 08:34 PM
I had the same issue for years. Bought a sleep number bed with the articulating base and learned to sleep on my back with my head elevated. Changed my life.

Hog's Gone Fishin
10-02-2020, 08:36 PM
Try raising livestock, You won't ever be able to sleep.

Pablo
10-02-2020, 08:38 PM
Try raising livestock, You won't ever be able to sleep.

Rolling out of bed after the wife is asleep to "service" your favorite boar doesn't count!

mlyonsd
10-02-2020, 08:40 PM
I had the same issue for years. Bought a sleep number bed with the articulating base and learned to sleep on my back with my head elevated. Changed my life.
We've had a temperpedic for about 20 years. Great bed I love it. But I'm getting to the age the articulating base feature is in my future at some point.

Buehler445
10-02-2020, 08:41 PM
I used to be a side sleeper but somehow ended up a stomach sleeper.

It's not good. Don't do that.

MOhillbilly
10-02-2020, 08:43 PM
Whiskey and downers. You’ll sleep like a baby.

mlyonsd
10-02-2020, 08:43 PM
I am a side sleeper and toss from side to side multiple times per night. My shoulders are quite a bit wider than my hips and I have chronic shoulder pain. I have tried full body pillows, angle pillows, multiple pillow configurations, mattress toppers, etc...
Anyone else have this issue? Ideas?Might want to go to an orthopedic guy to see if he can find an underlying issue. Only other advice would be Naproxen (generic Aleve). I only take it when I get a tinge of arthritis but it works for me.

Pablo
10-02-2020, 08:45 PM
There is a pillow that I think Fish? recommended in a similar thread with a hole in it. Slide your arm through and have the support of a pillow without the weight of your body on your shoulder. Doesn't help the rolling thing but maybe it will be comfy enough that you stay in one position for a while. I have a similar issue, without the chronic shoulder pain just yet, but I wake up every now and then with a sore shoulder. Haven't used anything like this yet, but I'm tempted to.

Might be helpful. Might even get in a groove when you roll over you automatically slide your other arm in. Something like this: https://www.deluxecomfort.com/better-sleep-pillow-polyester.html

KCUnited
10-02-2020, 08:49 PM
You’ve hosed your shoulder

EPodolak
10-02-2020, 10:24 PM
Because of neck problems I've become a side sleeper the last few years. Getting a very plush foam mattress has made it a lot more comfortable. Just got an ergonomic memory foam pillow on Amazon also. Pretty satisfied.

stanleychief
10-02-2020, 11:28 PM
Because of neck problems I've become a side sleeper the last few years. Getting a very plush foam mattress has made it a lot more comfortable. Just got an ergonomic memory foam pillow on Amazon also. Pretty satisfied.

This. I had the same issue as the OP. Go to a store and try different mattresses. Go to a place with a wide variety. I tried a memory foam mattress that was supposed to be good for side sleepers and wasn't at all. A good foam mattress will provide enough support to keep your back supported, but also allow for proper weight distribution. Slightly rolling your core up against a pillow can help remove the weight from your shoulders as well.

Fish
10-02-2020, 11:51 PM
This is the one I previously recommended. Had a torn rotator cuff for a while, and sleep was just completely impossible. The J shaped body pillow is optional. You can slip your arm into the holes on each side.

https://medcline.com/products/shoulder-relief-pillow

eDave
10-03-2020, 01:15 AM
Better sheets. And a sizable fish tank with cool fish and ambient fish lighting.

Trust me or continue to suffer.

HayWire
10-03-2020, 04:25 AM

This. I never would have spent that much money on a bed but we inherited one when my wife's grandma passed away. Holy shit it's awesome. I don't think I could go back to a regular bed.

DanT
10-03-2020, 06:07 AM
I had a very sore left shoulder a couple of years ago, and I believe the main cause was sleeping on my side on the new heavy latex mattress we had. Pain at its worst was about a 7 on a 0 to 10 scale. My primary care doctor diagnosed the shoulder as having arthritis, based on x-rays. That diagnosis worried me and I assumed I would have chronic pain that would never go away. But, in fact, it has gone away, although I am not sure why. I haven't been bothered by it or even felt any pain there this whole year, either before or since losing 50 pounds and building up to 40 pushups most mornings. I mentioned this to a rheumatologist colleague a couple of weeks ago, and he said that happens for some patients with arthritis, the pain goes away, even though there is permanent damage in the joint.
Anyway, good luck!

Mr. Wizard
10-03-2020, 09:40 AM

That’s what my wife wants. What about when you travel? Do you still sleep on your back or revert to side sleeping?

scho63
10-03-2020, 09:50 AM
If you sleep on your side in the fetal position all tense, you will have shoulder issues.

Many people have a hard time relaxing in bed.

Proper temperature to sleep is 68* so it allows your body to heal and cool down for the night.

Try keeping your arms down by your sides or further away from your head if you sleep fetal.

If you toss side to side multiple times are night, it sounds like there is a different problem that could be causing issues.

Are you going to bed when you are tired or just at a certain time?

I have never had a sleep problem in 57 years unless I drink way too much or over eat right before bed. Things I avoid at all costs these days.

I sleep on a firm mattress, one firm pillow. Be careful you don't have too many pillows under your head or you risk bending your neck too much and that would cause neck and shoulder pain.

Beds and pillows that are too soft and mushy are also bad.

JohnnyHammersticks
10-03-2020, 12:27 PM
Side sleeper with rotator cuff surgery on both shoulders. Highly recommend trying this memory foam mattress cover. Relatively cheap, doesn't make you sweat, and you feel like you're floating when you're on your side. Make sure to get the 3'" and not the 2". And don't put a mattress pad on top of it, put it directly under your sheet.

https://www.amazon.com/Dreamfoam-Bedding-Infused-Response-Memory/dp/B07W7K5YMZ/ref=asc_df_B07WLJNCY4/?tag=&linkCode=df0&hvadid=366288728554&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4953278094160314718&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9028723&hvtargid=pla-812488278953&ref=&adgrpid=76219493037&th=1

https://i.imgur.com/R5zB9fu.jpg

tyecopeland
10-03-2020, 12:29 PM
Try antifreeze.

Kiimo
10-03-2020, 12:30 PM
Finally a thread for me.

Let me know if you find a solution guys because sleeping is a nightmare lately

JakeF
10-03-2020, 12:38 PM
Anyone else have this issue? Ideas?
You probably sleep with your arm up under your head. That puts pressure on your shoulder socket. Keep your bottom arm down when you sleep on your side and i bet the shoulder issues go away.

You can also put a small pillow under your armpit while sleeping. A stuffed football pillow works pretty well. :D My shoulders got all jacked up played football so i have to support them during sleep.

Something like this works too:

Frosty
10-03-2020, 02:08 PM
This is the one I previously recommended. Had a torn rotator cuff for a while, and sleep was just completely impossible. The J shaped body pillow is optional. You can slip your arm into the holes on each side.

https://medcline.com/products/shoulder-relief-pillow

I second this. Both of my rotator cuffs are dicked up due to arthritis. I am an exclusive side sleeper, especially while using a CPAP, so I was in a lot of pain. The Medcline pillow made all the difference in the world and I don't get the shoulder pain at night any more. I hate when i have to travel because I don't sleep well without it (it's kind of bulky to take anywhere).

It isn't just a wedge pillow. Those didn't work.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0344/5689/5623/files/gradual-incline-pillow.jpg?v=1590463736

I actually don't sleep with my arm out through the side like shown. I curl it up under the pillow. The slot takes the pressure off the shoulder still.

neech
10-03-2020, 02:26 PM
I helped a friend of mine move and he and his wife had a old full size mattress that had a well worn dip in the middle of it. I told him you might want to get a new mattress and he said they don't have the money. He has neck and back issues, not surprisingly.

Mr. Wizard
10-03-2020, 03:34 PM
Side sleeper with rotator cuff surgery on both shoulders. Highly recommend trying this memory foam mattress cover. Relatively cheap, doesn't make you sweat, and you feel like you're floating when you're on your side. Make sure to get the 3'" and not the 2". And don't put a mattress pad on top of it, put it directly under your sheet.

https://www.amazon.com/Dreamfoam-Bedding-Infused-Response-Memory/dp/B07W7K5YMZ/ref=asc_df_B07WLJNCY4/?tag=&linkCode=df0&hvadid=366288728554&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4953278094160314718&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9028723&hvtargid=pla-812488278953&ref=&adgrpid=76219493037&th=1

https://i.imgur.com/R5zB9fu.jpg

I am getting this and the pillow with the hole both. Will let you all know.

Groves
10-03-2020, 03:39 PM
Keep your bottom arm down when you sleep on your side and i bet the shoulder issues go away.

Does down mean your arm is between your side and the mattress? Or just extended outwards and not upwards towards your head?

Where does your elbow end up?

JakeF
10-03-2020, 05:16 PM
Does down mean your arm is between your side and the mattress? Or just extended outwards and not upwards towards your head?

Where does your elbow end up?between your side and the mattress just like if you were standing up. You can bend your elbow all you want but if you keep the upper part of your arm straight down, sleeping on your side won't hurt your shoulder as much.

I used to wake up with my arm completely asleep and my shoulder would hurt all day long. Once i stopped sleeping with my arm above shoulder level it got way better.

JakeF
10-03-2020, 05:22 PM
https://www.orthobethesda.com/blog/why-sleeping-on-your-side-is-killing-your-shoulder/

Do you experience shoulder pain without a clear reason? The answer could lie in the way you sleep at night. Changing your sleeping position and trying some at-home remedies can help you relieve your stiffness and discomfort. Let’s talk about the connection between your sleeping position and shoulder pain, as well as when you should see a doctor.

Can Sleeping Wrong Cause Shoulder Blade Pain?
Our posture affects us during all hours of the day, including when we sleep. Certain sleeping positions can put extra strain on the shoulder muscles, resulting in soreness and stiffness. When you sleep in a position that adds pressure to your rotator cuff, the added stress can result in tearing. You can develop tendinitis or shoulder impingement syndrome from your bone pressing against your tendons.

Do I Have Neck and Shoulder Pain From Sleeping Wrong?
In most cases, you can determine the source of your shoulder pain with a doctor’s assistance. However, you can monitor your symptoms to see if they resemble the signs of tendonitis. Tendinitis can start as stiffness and pain that occurs when you have pressure on your shoulder or lift your arm. Rotator cuff pain may also come from arthritis, a tissue injury or nerve damage.

What Is the Best At-Home Treatment for Neck and Shoulder Pain?
When you have mild shoulder or neck pain, at-home solutions can often solve the problem. You can do simple stretches to keep your muscles flexible. Try squeezing your shoulder blades, rolling your shoulders down and backward or bringing your ear to your shoulder 10 times. Applying heat or ice reduces inflammation and relaxes the muscles. Over-the-counter painkillers can also help.

Best Sleeping Positions for Shoulder Impingement
You have a simple solution for shoulder pain that comes from an improper sleeping position. When you keep pressure off your shoulder, you promote healing and reduce your risk of further damage.

Two sleeping positions work best for an ailing shoulder: sleeping on the unaffected side and sleeping on your back. When you’re experiencing pain from sleeping on your side, keep your neck and back straight to reduce potential strain. Sleeping on your back lowers pressure on both shoulders and puts your spine in a neutral position.

How Can I Avoid Shoulder Pain Related to My Sleeping Position?
If you want to prevent shoulder pain from your sleeping posture, you can adjust your position. Sleeping on your stomach strains your neck, back and shoulders. Since you have to turn your head to the side, you put your neck and spine out of alignment. You may continue to sleep on your side if you keep your spine straight and you experience no pain.

MahiMike
10-03-2020, 06:04 PM
I've had both shoulders redone and for a month each time I slept in my recliner. Give it a shot.

JD10367
10-03-2020, 07:41 PM
I've always had shoulder pain when sleeping and/or hip pain. For the shoulder the best I can do is use two pillows, and make sure my head is fully supported by them and not at an angle so that when I'm sideways it takes pressure off my shoulders. But in the past few years I've spent more time sleeping in the Barcalounger, which doesn't hurt my shoulders. So I'll side with the "articulating base, on your back" people.