PDA

View Full Version : Football Quick reminder of why you shouldn't make stupid trades

Mecca
10-05-2020, 10:25 AM
Houston is currently 0-4 and Miami owns their 1st and 2nd round picks.

Bill Brasky
10-05-2020, 10:30 AM
BoB is a special kind of idiot. Can you imagine Veach trading away Kelce because he asked for a raise? It makes me laugh out loud just thinking about it. Zero GM skills.

RealSNR
10-05-2020, 10:31 AM
Remember when Houston paid basically the same thing we did to trade up in the 1st for Watson, except they sucked out that season and had to give their top 4 pick to Cleveland, whereas Buffalo only got our 20-something?

Good times. Good times.

Yeah, Watson is good enough to be worth the price it ended up becoming. It's just funny, that's all.

Kman34
10-05-2020, 10:31 AM
I traded my 1987 Toyota pickup for a Mercury Sable.. Damm kids..

RealSNR
10-05-2020, 10:33 AM
BoB is a special kind of idiot. Can you imagine Veach trading away Kelce because he asked for a raise? It makes me laugh out loud just thinking about it. Zero GM skills.

For some reason Moneyball is showing up in my Youtube recommendations, and I have no idea why. I hate that movie.

I feel like Bill watched the movie and said to himself, "I KNOW WHAT I MUST DO NOW!"

mililo4cpa
10-05-2020, 10:34 AM

Didn't Tunsil rape the Texans on a contract too?

And I seem to recall he's been a penalty machine too....

Sassy Squatch
10-05-2020, 10:39 AM
BoB is a Grigson level executive.

tk13
10-05-2020, 10:53 AM
It's funny how fast life comes at you. There was a point 9 months ago where it looked like O'Brien had his team dominating, a couple good quarters away from guaranteeing an AFC championship game in Houston. Facing a Titans team they had already beat when they both played at full strength. Legit chance at a Super Bowl.

Now they're 0-4, team looks like a dismantled train wreck with a bottom 5 offense and defense, and they've traded away their top draft picks.

Why Not?
10-05-2020, 10:56 AM
This is before you factor in that he also traded a top 3 WR for the ghost of David Johnson.

DRM08
10-05-2020, 11:01 AM

Yep, he blew up the market for Left Tackle. It not only screwed the Texans, but everyone else in the league. Baltimore is about to overpay Stanley, and so on.

ChiefsCountry
10-05-2020, 11:03 AM
It's why you don't hire Belichick assistants. Teams are so fucking stupid.

Rain Man
10-05-2020, 11:04 AM
A couple of years ago the Rams put together a team for the ages. Marcus Paters, Aqib Talib, Ndamukong Suh, and an offense built around rising superstars Jared Goff and Todd Gurley. I wonder what ever happened to that team.

TribalElder
10-05-2020, 11:11 AM
I couldn't remember what the bad decision was the Texans made to hand Miami their picks

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">We have acquired a 2020 first-round pick, a 2021 first-round pick, a 2021 second-round pick, CB Johnson Bademosi and T Julien Davenport from the Texans in exchange for T Laremy Tunsil, WR Kenny Stills, a 2020 fourth-round pick and a 2021 sixth-round pick. <a href="https://t.co/KKRQppnE3S">pic.twitter.com/KKRQppnE3S</a></p>&mdash; Miami Dolphins (@MiamiDolphins) <a href="https://twitter.com/MiamiDolphins/status/1168192011729612806?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 1, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

smithandrew051
10-05-2020, 11:13 AM
That’s one franchise that you can cross off the list for the next 5 years minimum. No easy way out of this one.

If Tua is a star, then the Dolphins may be really good before long.

Mecca
10-05-2020, 11:14 AM
The Dolphins are another good draft and Tua working out from making NE a 3rd place team every year.

Dunerdr
10-05-2020, 11:16 AM
It's funny how fast life comes at you. There was a point 9 months ago where it looked like O'Brien had his team dominating, a couple good quarters away from guaranteeing an AFC championship game in Houston. Facing a Titans team they had already beat when they both played at full strength. Legit chance at a Super Bowl.

Now they're 0-4, team looks like a dismantled train wreck with a bottom 5 offense and defense, and they've traded away their top draft picks.

Imagine how fast the 49ers dline dismantles that O-line. JFC.

lcarus
10-05-2020, 11:19 AM
The Dolphins are another good draft and Tua working out from making NE a 3rd place team every year.

You're right. If Tua works out they'll be in really good shape. They'll have a good coach and QB combo like all good teams. Reid/Mahomes, Payton/Brees, Fangio/Rypien, etc.

smithandrew051
10-05-2020, 11:21 AM
Imagine how fast the 49ers dline dismantles that O-line. JFC.

I guess in one game anything could happen, buuuuutttttt.....

The 49ers would’ve obliterated the Texans. It would’ve been on par with what the Buccaneers did to the Raiders or what the Seahawks did to the Broncos.

notorious
10-05-2020, 11:22 AM

Cowherd sucked the Texans dick over that trade.

“They have to protect Watson, so this trade is great. What were they going to get with those picks anyway? Picks are a crapshoot, Tunsil is guaranteed. Now they have a group core set for a decade!”

Shit like that made me turn him off. Fucking retarded.

RealSNR
10-05-2020, 11:28 AM
A couple of years ago the Rams put together a team for the ages. Marcus Paters, Aqib Talib, Ndamukong Suh, and an offense built around rising superstars Jared Goff and Todd Gurley. I wonder what ever happened to that team.

They didn't have Brett Veach as their GM, that's what happened.

Mecca
10-05-2020, 11:35 AM
You're right. If Tua works out they'll be in really good shape. They'll have a good coach and QB combo like all good teams. Reid/Mahomes, Payton/Brees, Fangio/Rypien, etc.

The worst thing that could happen for everyone else is of Houston gets the #1 pick because then they can auction that off for a ton more capitol.

Pitt Gorilla
10-05-2020, 11:36 AM

“They have to protect Watson, so this trade is great. What were they going to get with those picks anyway? Picks are a crapshoot, Tunsil is guaranteed. Now they have a group core set for a decade!”

Shit like that made me turn him off. ****ing retarded.

People need to stop with the "picks are a crapshoot" nonsense. I suppose they are when your GM doesn't actually do his homework, but they don't have to be.

Pitt Gorilla
10-05-2020, 11:37 AM
The worst thing that could happen for everyone else is of Houston gets the #1 pick because then they can auction that off for a ton more capitol.I don't think they will, but it also wouldn't be the end of the world. Miami should be good, perhaps even very good. But they won't threaten the Chiefs.

RealSNR
10-05-2020, 11:40 AM

Shit like that made me turn him off. ****ing retarded.

I hate that argument for trading away high picks. If draft picks weren't important, they wouldn't be used in trades as often as they are.

"Picks are a crapshoot." Yeah, Colin? You're telling me they're such a crapshoot that it's just as likely that two consecutive 1st rounders will bust as it is this LT you traded for will be healthy and productive for all of those seasons? If that's the case, then your team REALLLY sucks at drafting, and the personnel dept needs a huge ass overhaul.

big nasty kcnut
10-05-2020, 11:40 AM
Bob a special sort of stupid.

Mecca
10-05-2020, 11:41 AM
I don't think they will, but it also wouldn't be the end of the world. Miami should be good, perhaps even very good. But they won't threaten the Chiefs.

Auctioning off the Lawrence pick would bring them a ton of picks, an epic boatload but if you do that you better be damn sure Tua is the guy.

Pitt Gorilla
10-05-2020, 11:43 AM
Auctioning off the Lawrence pick would bring them a ton of picks, an epic boatload but if you do that you better be damn sure Tua is the guy.

The truth is even Lawrence isn't going to be in Patrick's league.

Mecca
10-05-2020, 11:44 AM

Sure but I'd rather avoid him being in the conference especially on a younger team with a ton of cap space.

htismaqe
10-05-2020, 11:44 AM

Nope.

It's good to be a champion.

Deberg_1990
10-05-2020, 11:45 AM
Texans fans should begin flying banners. But I’ve said many times, their fan base isn’t real passionate.

Pitt Gorilla
10-05-2020, 11:46 AM
Sure but I'd rather avoid him being in the conference especially on a younger team with a ton of cap space.

Yeah, I get that, but I love what Miami is doing (as an NFL fan). It's what everyone does when playing GM mode on Madden, but it's playing out in real life. Will they do it better than the 76ers?

notorious
10-05-2020, 11:47 AM
I hate that argument for trading away high picks. If draft picks weren't important, they wouldn't be used in trades as often as they are.

"Picks are a crapshoot." Yeah, Colin? You're telling me they're such a crapshoot that it's just as likely that two consecutive 1st rounders will bust as it is this LT you traded for will be healthy and productive for all of those seasons? If that's the case, then your team REALLLY sucks at drafting, and the personnel dept needs a huge ass overhaul.

Colin looks at the trend and puts his opinion on the opposite side.

People were correct when they shit on this trade, but Colin saw opportunity and went the opposite direction.

That’s why I stopped listening. He is a smart guy, and his real opinions are good enough to carry his show, but he changed years ago. Now his opinion is directly driven by their metrics and ratings. He is a slightly less douchey Skip Bayless now.

RINGLEADER
10-05-2020, 11:47 AM

What if Miami ends up with the first pick courtesy of the Texans?

Do they stand by Tua or make a move for Trevor?

Sticking with Tua means they could flip a first pick to some team for another couple firsts and seconds or pick the best available.

Pitt Gorilla
10-05-2020, 11:48 AM
Colin looks at the trend and puts his opinion on the opposite side.

People were correct when they shit on this trade, but Colin saw opportunity and went the opposite direction.

That’s why I stopped listening. He is a smart guy, and his real opinions are good enough to carry his show, but he changed years ago. Now his opinion is directly driven by their metrics and ratings. He is a slightly less douchey Skip Bayless now.
I honestly don't know if I could tell them apart.

Mecca

Sticking with Tua means they could flip a first pick to some team for another couple firsts and seconds or pick the best available.

We were just talking about that...it would be bad if they had that 1 because of Tua is their guy they can trade that pick for a ransom.

Deberg_1990

That’s why Miami needs to start playing Tua right now.

notorious
10-05-2020, 11:49 AM
I honestly don't know if I could tell them apart.

The difference between them shrinks more every day.

htismaqe
10-05-2020, 11:50 AM
Texans fans should begin flying banners. But I’ve said many times, their fan base isn’t real passionate.

That happens when your real team relocates to Tennessee.

Direckshun
10-05-2020, 11:52 AM
People need to stop with the "picks are a crapshoot" nonsense. I suppose they are when your GM doesn't actually do his homework, but they don't have to be.

Even good GMs, though, have issues.

There's a middle ground. Think of it this way -- I stole this shamelessly from someone else.

The draft is basically darts.

The 1st round, you are really close to the dartboard. Then with each successive round, you're backing away and throwing it farther and farther. By the time you're in the 7th round, you're just hoping to hit the board, forget hitting a bullseye.

Deberg_1990
10-05-2020, 11:54 AM
That happens when your real team relocates to Tennessee.

That’s part of it. NFL should have done them like the Browns. Left all the Oilers history and brand with Houston

notorious
10-05-2020, 11:55 AM
The draft is basically darts.

The 1st round, you are really close to the dartboard. Then with each successive round, you're backing away and throwing it farther and farther. By the time you're in the 7th round, you're just hoping to hit the board, forget hitting a bullseye.

Veach throwing darts:

https://media1.tenor.com/images/642993b48a3a605b6f87d872f56db6f4/tenor.gif?itemid=7599039

htismaqe
10-05-2020, 11:56 AM
Dorsey playing darts:

https://media1.tenor.com/images/642993b48a3a605b6f87d872f56db6f4/tenor.gif?itemid=7599039

Hardly.

If that's Dorsey playing darts then this is Veach.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FHzCeWqV.gif&f=1&nofb=1

notorious
10-05-2020, 11:57 AM
OBrien throwing darts:

https://media1.tenor.com/images/236809cc2268ed63b5708424a0d98ae1/tenor.gif?itemid=5028507

notorious
10-05-2020, 11:58 AM
Hardly.

If that's Dorsey playing darts then this is Veach.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FHzCeWqV.gif&f=1&nofb=1

Fixed. Sigh

RealSNR
10-05-2020, 12:04 PM
Yeah, I agree. If I'm driving when Cowherd is on, I'll still listen because he's an entertaining radio jockey, but he can't seem to not douche it up.

An example would be he takes a reasonable take like, "The team and the environment matter more than how high you're drafted in the NFL, because if your GM is Ryan Grigson, not even Andrew Luck can avoid dying in that situation."

But now he's warped it into, "The environment you're drafted into matters in the NFL. Patrick Mahomes got Andy Reid and a great GM and a lot of weapons, so now he's super successful and Sam Darnold has to eat shit."

If Sam Darnold were on Mahomes' level, he might still be losing football games in his situation, but he'd at least be far more respected as a QB than he is. The NFL would treat him like they do Philip Rivers or Matt Stafford. At some point Colin has to just admit that his boy Darnold sucks... or at the very least was a QB who was VERY dependent on the situation he got drafted into, unlike some players...

notorious
10-05-2020, 12:13 PM
Yeah, I agree. If I'm driving when Cowherd is on, I'll still listen because he's an entertaining radio jockey, but he can't seem to not douche it up.

An example would be he takes a reasonable take like, "The team and the environment matter more than how high you're drafted in the NFL, because if your GM is Ryan Grigson, not even Andrew Luck can avoid dying in that situation."

But now he's warped it into, "The environment you're drafted into matters in the NFL. Patrick Mahomes got Andy Reid and a great GM and a lot of weapons, so now he's super successful and Sam Darnold has to eat shit."

If Sam Darnold were on Mahomes' level, he might still be losing football games in his situation, but he'd at least be far more respected as a QB than he is. The NFL would treat him like they do Philip Rivers or Matt Stafford. At some point Colin has to just admit that his boy Darnold sucks... or at the very least was a QB who was VERY dependent on the situation he got drafted into, unlike some players...

Ohhhhh, you had to mention Sam Darnold.

Cowherd would make a python blush with how much he unhinged his jaw for Sam. LMAO

FAX
10-05-2020, 12:17 PM
That's some serious perspective ...

If you're into devastating background information.

FAX

mr. tegu
10-05-2020, 12:24 PM
You also shouldn’t pay average QBs $40 million per year. That team is done as being a legitimate competitor for years.

lcarus
10-05-2020, 12:28 PM
That’s part of it. NFL should have done them like the Browns. Left all the Oilers history and brand with Houston

I wish Houston would go back to being the Oilers. The "Texans" is just dumb.

FloridaMan88
10-05-2020, 12:28 PM

If the Dolphins end up with the #1 overall pick from Houston, that will be a crazy decision they'll have to make with it.

On one hand yes they could get a Herschel Walker-type haul from trading that pick for the rights to draft Lawrence... but the fact that Lawrence is such a generational talent and Tua with his injury history has question marks about his long term viability as a franchise QB... I think they should consider drafting Lawrence and trading Tua.

Arizona trading Josh Rosen after only one year... there is precedent.

Rain Man
10-05-2020, 12:30 PM
I wish Houston would go back to being the Oilers. The "Texans" is just dumb.

I would've gone with "Houston Humidity". It's way more intimidating to me than Texans or Oilers.

ChiliConCarnage
10-05-2020, 12:36 PM
This is before you factor in that he also traded a top 3 WR for the ghost of David Johnson.

Yeah, but he needed to make that trade so he could justify trading a 2nd rounder to take over the contractual disaster that the Rams handed Brandin Cooks. Who caught 0 passes yesterday.

David Johnson is at least contributing. Watch them end up cutting Cooks this off-season lol

Why Not?
10-05-2020, 01:09 PM
Yeah, but he needed to make that trade so he could justify trading a 2nd rounder to take over the contractual disaster that the Rams handed Brandin Cooks. Who caught 0 passes yesterday.

David Johnson is at least contributing. Watch them end up cutting Cooks this off-season lol

Oh yeah I forgot about that disaster.

KChiefs1
10-05-2020, 01:12 PM

If they draft right...the Dolphins are building a powerhouse.

DJ's left nut
10-05-2020, 01:35 PM
BoB is a Grigson level executive.

He might be worse.

Grigson's biggest crime was always failing to do enough to surround his star quarterback.

BoB actively sabotages his.

The work BoB has done to wreck that roster is some of the worst I've ever seen. Donald Sterling didn't blow things up this badly. And there's just no clear path forward for them either.

I mean think about this - Will Fuller is a pending FA. They're gonna have to pay that guy $10-12 million/season or watch their WR corps get even worse. And they'll have to cut Cooks (because lord knows they can't pay him $12 million next season and he has zero dead cap money). Randall Cobb has a $12 million cap hit for them next season that they can't get out of. Randall Cobb!!

And they don't have a 1st or 2nd rounder. I mean there's nothing that's going to save that team. They may win 4-5 this year in the softer part of their schedule but that team has a 6 win ceiling for the foreseeable future.

They're a complete mess.

Mecca
10-05-2020, 01:36 PM
He might be worse.

Grigson's biggest crime was always failing to do enough to surround his star quarterback.

The work BoB has done to wreck that roster is some of the worst I've ever seen. Donald Sterling didn't blow things up this badly. And there's just no clear path forward for them either.

I mean think about this - Will Fuller is a pending FA. They're gonna have to pay that guy $10-12 million/season or watch their WR corps get even worse. And they'll have to cut Cooks (because lord knows they can't pay him $12 million next season and he has zero dead cap money). Randall Cobb has a $12 million cap hit for them next season that they can't get out of. Randall Cobb!!

And they don't have a 1st or 2nd rounder. I mean there's nothing that's going to save that team. They may win 4-5 this year in the softer part of their schedule but that team has a 6 win ceiling for the foreseeable future.

They're a complete mess.

They're also spending the most cash this year of any team at 225 mill.

displacedinMN
10-05-2020, 01:50 PM
we ruined houston

DRM08
10-05-2020, 01:55 PM
He might be worse.

They're a complete mess.

And despite all those problems, they had a 24-0 lead on the Chiefs in a playoff game. That's the crazy thing about the NFL. You can do everything right and get screwed by flukey stuff or injuries, etc.

Knowing what a mess Houston is, that would have been a bitter pill to swallow if KC found a way to lose that game. They dug themselves out of the flukey 24-0 hole in epic fashion, but it was still way too dicey of a situation.

DJ's left nut
10-05-2020, 02:06 PM
And despite all those problems, they had a 24-0 lead on the Chiefs in a playoff game. That's the crazy thing about the NFL. You can do everything right and get screwed by flukey stuff or injuries, etc.

Knowing what a mess Houston is, that would have been a bitter pill to swallow if KC found a way to lose that game. They dug themselves out of the flukey 24-0 hole in epic fashion, but it was still way too dicey of a situation.

The 2019 Texans had a puncher's chance of winning the whole thing, IMO.

And if Watson were as good as his hype train says he is, they would have. Or at least they wouldn't have managed to yack up that 24 point lead.

At some point Watson has to take some ownership of the fact that at 24-7, the Texans got 8 more drives and put up a whopping 7 points. That's WITH Hopkins on the field. And a healthy Fuller and Kenny Stills. Carlos Hyde is mediocre but was effective for them last season and Duke Johnson is an excellent receiving back who he also had available. Tunsil didn't have his big contract yet so he was getting one of the best pass-blocking LTs in the business to cover his blind side.

He had a LOT going for him in that game and failed. Now this season's a different creature because of the off-season personnel decisions and some injuries, but last season's Texans team was no push-over.

Give Mahomes that same roster and the Texans win a championship. There's little doubt of it in my mind. Even w/ BoB at HC (because again, I think the guys a solid HC, if a shitty GM).

Watson's fortunate that BoB is taking these bullets because Deshaun deserves a few of 'em in his own right.

DRM08
10-05-2020, 02:08 PM

And if Watson were as good as his hype train says he is, they would have. Or at least they wouldn't have managed to yack up that 24 point lead.

At some point Watson has to take some ownership of the fact that at 24-7, the Texans got 8 more drives and put up a whopping 7 points. That's WITH Hopkins on the field. And a healthy Fuller and Kenny Stills. Carlos Hyde is mediocre but was effective for them last season and Duke Johnson is an excellent receiving back who he also had available. Tunsil didn't have his big contract yet so he was getting one of the best pass-blocking LTs in the business to cover his blind side.

He had a LOT going for him in that game and failed. Now this season's a different creature because of the off-season personnel decisions and some injuries, but last season's Texans team was no push-over.

Give Mahomes that same roster and the Texans win a championship. There's little doubt of it in my mind. Even w/ BoB at HC (because again, I think the guys a solid HC, if a shitty GM).

Watson's fortunate that BoB is taking these bullets because Deshaun deserves a few of 'em in his own right.

The defense was kind of a dumpster fire. I think Shanahan's offense would have torched them.

Titty Meat
10-05-2020, 02:36 PM
Hopkins waant going to resign as long as BOB was there

ChiliConCarnage
10-05-2020, 02:56 PM
.... and he's gone! wow, canned before Gase

KChiefs1
10-05-2020, 02:59 PM
It gets you fired.

mr. tegu
10-05-2020, 03:04 PM

I see your reasonable comments about Watson and provide the only needed rebuttal, “but he’s a winner because he beat Alabama!”

ArrowheadHawk
10-05-2020, 03:06 PM
Gonzo! LOL.

Weapons Win
10-05-2020, 03:41 PM
Offensive line play matters, but it's quickly becoming a shibboleth.

Bill Brasky
10-05-2020, 05:19 PM
Timely thread right here.

Buehler445
10-05-2020, 06:12 PM

Shit like that made me turn him off. Fucking retarded.

You’re only a decade too late dawg. He was circling the drain before he left espn.

He might be worse.

They're a complete mess.

I didn’t realize their WR situation was about to get markedly worse.

Dear God.

Houston should file criminal negligence charges.

Mecca
10-05-2020, 08:06 PM
I'd like to take credit that Houston ownership saw my thread and finally smartened up.

TwistedChief
10-05-2020, 08:07 PM
Making stupid trades. Injuries.

CP has helped me to understand that both are not helpful.

scho63
10-05-2020, 09:05 PM
My buddy Chris Olsen was Sr VP of football operations for the Texans. He got the job years ago because he was considered the NFL's top expert on salary cap and worked in NY for the NFL for about 10 years prior to getting the job. He kept the Texans in great shape and was fired by BoB because he is a dumb dumb doodoo head.

Got what he finally deserved but not before he destroyed the Texans for the next 4-5 years.

What a complete buffoon who bamboozled the ownership. Actually they are the bigger idiots

Frazod
10-05-2020, 09:14 PM

I was thinking about that earlier. From the start of the second quarter of their playoff loss to us they have fallen into the abyss. Literally everything that has happened to them is bad. Poor bastards.

They’re like the South after Pickett’s Charge.

Pitt Gorilla
10-05-2020, 09:17 PM
Making stupid trades. Injuries.

CP has helped me to understand that both are not helpful.

LMAO

cdcox
10-05-2020, 10:46 PM
‘Cuz you’ll get fired?