PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Riding/Zero Turn Mowers

blake5676
10-08-2020, 08:00 AM
Anyone have strong opinions on best brand, new/used, deck width, etc? We're a few weeks from finishing up building our new house. It's on slightly less than two acres so I'll be needing to get a new mower.

Zero turns look like a hell of a lot of fun, so I'm inclined to go that route. I've heard multiple people throughout the years say things like "just don't go buying one from HD, Lowe's, Menards" and to buy one from a reputable dealer.

Would like to stay somewhere between $2-5k and don't have a terribly strong preference on whether I buy new or used, but any suggestions from the CP hive on your experiences or advice on what to stay away from?

Kman34
10-08-2020, 08:05 AM
https://www.worldlawn.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/14web.jpg

Worldlawn 52” is what I use... Never had any problems...

Dayze
10-08-2020, 08:10 AM
this winter / spring, i'm looking for a rider. my body can't handle push mowing nearly 10k sq ft multiple times a week in the spring; and in the dead heat of summer any more. in the summer, I'm completely wiped out the rest of the day after mowing. knees and feet ache etc. Getting old is awesome.

I really like a 42" ZT mower; but I also want to be able to pull a small garden/yard cart (for when I have to move bags of mulch from the garage to the back yard, soil, etc); be able to pull a aerator, dethatcher and yard sweeper. from what I've read ZT aren't really designed for that? I don't need it to pull a thousand pounds or anything. making 50 to and from trips from the front to the back walking with a bag of mulch each time sucks.

So i'm bouncing back and forth between a ZT and a regular tractor/mower.

Holladay
10-08-2020, 08:14 AM
There are a lot of quality mowers in that price range. Each person who has had a good experience with their mower will make their suggestion.

For instance, I own a 54" Land Pride. It is a Gravelly knock off. Run great etc.

As to deck size, when I plant trees, they are 60" apart. When I borrowed a 60" grasshopper, I couldn't get between the trees.

In the end, I test drove a lot of mowers. You need to form a relationship with a dealer as well.

This is the perfect time to get a deal on a mower. They don't want to sit on inventory over the winter.

MOhillbilly
10-08-2020, 08:51 AM
I’m don’t know much about brands but Bishops in Perryville ks.

blake5676
10-08-2020, 08:55 AM
Appreciate the responses so far. I have a completely flat back yard, it's actually about the size of a football field. But the front has some decent sloped hills. Not sure if that makes a difference in anyone's suggestion in regards to riding vs ZT?

TribalElder
10-08-2020, 08:57 AM
I've been researching these and am interested in hearing opinions

I've seen quite a few different ones
John Deere - although comfortable ride quite expensive
Bad Boy - they make a solid zero turn
Gravely makes some
Wright seem to be solid
Kubota,
cub cadet,
toro
hustler

the one I'm currently fixated on is the SCAG

kepp
10-08-2020, 08:59 AM
I have a 52" Hustler Raptor and it does fine. If I had to do it over, I would probably look for a comparably priced used, professional quality ZT. But mine does fine.

TribalElder
10-08-2020, 08:59 AM
Appreciate the responses so far. I have a completely flat back yard, it's actually about the size of a football field. But the front has some decent sloped hills. Not sure if that makes a difference in anyone's suggestion in regards to riding vs ZT?

I have a riding mower now with a 48" cut and a top speed of 4.5 mph

in comparison I've been looking at a zero turn that is 61" and does 12 mph

that time savings could cut my mowing time in half or better (5-6 acres)

LoneWolf
10-08-2020, 09:21 AM
I bought a 48" ZT Kubota this year and it has been a solid purchase. They run a little higher than some brands, but their customer service is second to none. When I bought it the salesman delivered it, went over all of the features and how to operate the mower, and then he mowed the hilly part of my lawn to make sure the mower would perform as advertised.

Graystoke
10-08-2020, 09:23 AM
I have a Hustler 52" ZT. I love it but beware.
ZT mowers have a couple of downfalls in my opinion.
1) Unstable as shit on slopes. And my slopes are near a lake and I've had some close calls.
2) ZT mowers have a tendency to tear up turf, especially when moist

MagicHef
10-08-2020, 09:25 AM
I had 2 acres in TX with many trees, slopes, etc. I was also dirt poor so I went out and bought the cheapest used zero turn mower I could off craigslist, one of these:
https://www.northerntool.com/images/product/114x114/170/170435_114x114.jpg

I probably paid $100 for it , and that thing was awesome.

Graystoke
10-08-2020, 09:27 AM
I had 2 acres in TX with many trees, slopes, etc. I was also dirt poor so I went out and bought the cheapest used zero turn mower I could off craigslist, one of these:

No offense, but that doesn't look like a ZT

Kman34
10-08-2020, 09:28 AM

Not trying to be picky but that’s not a Zero turn...

morphius
10-08-2020, 09:30 AM
Just beware of steep inclines with trees or cliffs. My fathers lake house is a "joy" to mow

Perineum Ripper
10-08-2020, 09:31 AM
If you can mow straight up and down those slopes a ZT will work fine. If you have to go across them, youu might try to borrow one to see how they handle the slope. My grandparent’s house has a decent slope on it and their ZT slides all over the place. The big ditch at the bottom of the hill makes for some exciting times, especially if the grass has any moisture on it.

Graystoke
10-08-2020, 09:33 AM
Just beware of steep inclines with trees or cliffs. My fathers lake house is a "joy" to mow

I here that loud and clear. I have a two close calls and now I just don't get close to the slope and the water.

Dunerdr
10-08-2020, 09:39 AM
i have a smallish snapper zero turn. were wrapping up summer number 6 of mowing my lawn 1/2 acre and my mothers 1.3 acres. zero issues so far. I opted for the industrial version that had a kawasaki with a few more hp. i grabbed the smaller one than i wanted so it would fit through a small gate at my grandparents, then they turned around and put in a big double gate..

JohnnyHammersticks
10-08-2020, 09:39 AM
Just get some rabbits.

MagicHef
10-08-2020, 09:48 AM
No offense, but that doesn't look like a ZT

Not trying to be picky but that’s not a Zero turn...

It is. The front two wheels are casters and the rear two wheels are controlled independently. If you look closely it has two levers rather than a steering wheel. They obviously wanted to make it as cheaply as possible so they just converted an existing mower model into a zero turn.

Donger
10-08-2020, 09:50 AM
If a mower is "zero turn," how does it change direction?

Lzen
10-08-2020, 09:51 AM
I bought a house on 2.5 acres back in November and knew I wanted to get a ZT mower. It's a big time saver. It takes about 2.5 hours (1hr per acre, basically) to mow everything. I do have some hills/slopes and trees but it seems to handle all of that just fine. It's a Craftsman 46" deck and I bought it at Lowes. Yes, I do realize that Craftsman has a bad rep on small engine type power equipment. But that doesn't really apply to their mowers from what I've read. It's actually a Briggs a & Stratton engine and the mower is built by MTD.

I will agree with some of the comments that some slopes are just not able to be mowed with a ZT (or any rider, IMO). Ours is a walkout basement and the slope right next to it has to be mowed with a push mower. Same with the drainage ditch out by the main toad.

Oh, and I also got a 25 gallon Fimco trailer tank sprayer to pull with it. It does just fine with that.

MagicHef
10-08-2020, 09:54 AM

Zero turn is short for zero radius turn, apparently the word radius is too difficult. It has two drive wheels which are independently controlled, the mower only goes straight if they are spinning at the same speed.

Lzen
10-08-2020, 09:54 AM

You could always use your search engine.

The term “zero turn” is short for zero turn radius, meaning that the machine is able to rotate on a dime.

http://www.experts123.com/q/what-does-zero-turn-mean.html

neech
10-08-2020, 10:02 AM

:doh!:

Donger
10-08-2020, 10:03 AM
LMAO

Lzen
10-08-2020, 10:19 AM
LMAO

I had a feeling you may have just been trying to be a smart alec. Sarcasm doesn't transfer very well on the internet. ;)

MagicHef
10-08-2020, 10:20 AM
LMAO

Figures.

Donger
10-08-2020, 10:23 AM
I had a feeling you may have just been trying to be a smart alec. Sarcasm doesn't transfer very well on the internet. ;)

Still, it's a misnomer. If it turns, it's not zero. Should be called zero radius turn instead.

:thumb:

morphius
10-08-2020, 10:24 AM
I here that loud and clear. I have a two close calls and now I just don't get close to the slope and the water.

It is fun to be driving along and then all of a sudden be going a completely different direction. haha

It is nice, easy to drive, but I want to make sure buyers are aware to buy for their property.

Iowanian
10-08-2020, 10:25 AM
I have a 60" Bad Boy zero turn with the Kawasaki engine.
I think I've had it for 5-6 years now and it's required very little maintenance or repair so far. It takes 2-3hrs to mow my yard, I do mow around a pond and some rougher areas than the typical urban yard.

If it has a downfall, I don't feel like it does as well on side hills as I would like, and like most mowers will struggle with thick-wet grass.

My brother has a similar model, a year newer and put more agressive tires on it and it works much better than the factory tires.

TribalElder
10-08-2020, 10:43 AM
I have a 60" Bad Boy zero turn with the Kawasaki engine.
I think I've had it for 5-6 years now and it's required very little maintenance or repair so far. It takes 2-3hrs to mow my yard, I do mow around a pond and some rougher areas than the typical urban yard.

If it has a downfall, I don't feel like it does as well on side hills as I would like, and like most mowers will struggle with thick-wet grass.

My brother has a similar model, a year newer and put more agressive tires on it and it works much better than the factory tires.

Tweels ?

https://www.hutsoninc.com/static/b022f0b6011972584a6743aacefceb53/14b42/tweels.jpg

Iowanian
10-08-2020, 10:44 AM
I've never seen those before, but consider me intrigued.

Deberg_1990
10-08-2020, 10:47 AM
When will we get zero turn automobiles?

TribalElder
10-08-2020, 10:52 AM
I've never seen those before, but consider me intrigued.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NAeGp9y1jXk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think you can get them for most mowers now

KS Smitty
10-08-2020, 11:14 AM
From a friend earlier this summer:

Since purchasing a brand new zero turn mower late last summer mowing has become much easier...
Our fifth wheel camper is parked next to the pond. It is on a gentle slope, but the area where the wheels set has been leveled, leaving the decline under the front of the trailer where the hitch resides.
I was maneuvering the mower around the camper and from the lower side of the slope nudged the mower deck beneath the overhang of the camper. I recall noting how I was able to reach enough from the lower side I would probably be able to reach the rest of it when I went around to the high side. On what I intended to be the final push under the extended part of the camper things went awry.
The left steering arm made contact with the hitch protruding downward at the very front of the overhang, causing the mower to execute its zero turn action. My face and torso were smashed against the bottom of the overhang pushing me backward over the seat back and when I was pushed back far enough my posterior was no longer in contact with the seat the safety switch was activated and shut off the engine leaving me wedged between the mower and the trailer overhang.
I remember being unable to breathe as my chest was compressed....I was shaken but able to walk and we made our way to the house... They took x-rays and a CT scan, then consulted with an orthopedic surgeon about the compression fractures on three of my vertebrae.

MagicHef
10-08-2020, 11:54 AM

Since purchasing a brand new zero turn mower late last summer mowing has become much easier...
Our fifth wheel camper is parked next to the pond. It is on a gentle slope, but the area where the wheels set has been leveled, leaving the decline under the front of the trailer where the hitch resides.
I was maneuvering the mower around the camper and from the lower side of the slope nudged the mower deck beneath the overhang of the camper. I recall noting how I was able to reach enough from the lower side I would probably be able to reach the rest of it when I went around to the high side. On what I intended to be the final push under the extended part of the camper things went awry.
The left steering arm made contact with the hitch protruding downward at the very front of the overhang, causing the mower to execute its zero turn action. My face and torso were smashed against the bottom of the overhang pushing me backward over the seat back and when I was pushed back far enough my posterior was no longer in contact with the seat the safety switch was activated and shut off the engine leaving me wedged between the mower and the trailer overhang.
I remember being unable to breathe as my chest was compressed....I was shaken but able to walk and we made our way to the house... They took x-rays and a CT scan, then consulted with an orthopedic surgeon about the compression fractures on three of my vertebrae.

I'd say everyone should avoid doing that.

displacedinMN
10-08-2020, 07:12 PM
http://www.n0kfb.org/mow/big_mow.jpg

Dayze
10-08-2020, 07:30 PM
http://www.n0kfb.org/mow/big_mow.jpg

LMAO

displacedinMN
10-08-2020, 07:48 PM
used to have one of those when I was skinnier

F150
10-09-2020, 07:23 AM
I have a Farris ZT 27 HP Kawasaki motor...its about 11 years old, never been to the shop for anything mut usual maintenance I mow 3 acres and do rough trimming as well. Slopes are a bugger with all of them, dont try steep pond dam fronts or you could go for an expensive swim.

Id buy a Farris again

Lzen
10-09-2020, 07:43 AM

Geez, that's crazy. Yeah, you have to be careful not to hit anything with the steering arms. I have some trees with low branches that I have to be careful around for this very reason.

Lzen
10-09-2020, 07:45 AM
I have a Farris ZT 27 HP Kawasaki motor...its about 11 years old, never been to the shop for anything mut usual maintenance I mow 3 acres and do rough trimming as well. Slopes are a bugger with all of them, dont try steep pond dam fronts or you could go for an expensive swim.

Id buy a Farris again

Aren't Farris professional-grade mowers? I have a buddy who has a 60" Farris and I think he paid about $11k for it. Yikes! But he has a side mowing business.

Lzen
10-09-2020, 07:46 AM
Tweels ?

https://www.hutsoninc.com/static/b022f0b6011972584a6743aacefceb53/14b42/tweels.jpg

Those are cool but looking around I'm seeing they are very expensive ($300-$600 per tire).

blake5676
10-09-2020, 08:11 AM

Id buy a Farris again

I have a patient at my office who is trying to talk me into buying a Ferris...he swears by them and says they're the best. The one he keeps showing my is like $14k ROFL I'm really trying to stay under $5k and all this asshole keeps talking to me about is Ferris and something about greasing spindle bearings. I'm totally out of my element on this.

F150
10-09-2020, 08:22 AM
Aren't Farris professional-grade mowers? I have a buddy who has a 60" Farris and I think he paid about $11k for it. Yikes! But he has a side mowing business.

I have not looked at current prices. Farris is best known for independent suspension that is way more comfy than most. I suppose they are $$ but id bet comparable to the upper end, lower than Grasshopper.

Just looked, the new that would be abot same as mine is around $9500. Would expect to get better prices between now and December

https://www.hopkinsvilleoutdoor.com/ferris-dynamic/IS2100Z

Lzen
10-09-2020, 08:31 AM
I have not looked at current prices. Farris is best known for independent suspension that is way more comfy than most. I suppose they are $$ but id bet comparable to the upper end, lower than Grasshopper.

Just looked, the new that would be abot same as mine is around $9500. Would expect to get better prices between now and December

https://www.hopkinsvilleoutdoor.com/ferris-dynamic/IS2100Z

Oh, I'm sure those are excellent mowers. My buddy is a huge lawn guy so I know he knows his stuff. Just a little too rich for my blood.

htismaqe
10-09-2020, 08:33 AM
Everybody around here either has a Ferris anymore or a Grasshopper.

Ferris is, according to several of my friends, the most comfortable riding mower ever produced.

The main reason so many have Grasshoppers is because my neighbors sells and services them.

htismaqe
10-09-2020, 08:41 AM
My biggest issue with my zero turn is that the tires suck.

Make sure you get good, grabby tires. Otherwise, you're going to be doing a lot of useless donuts in your yard.

ChiefaRoo
10-09-2020, 09:05 AM
Grasshopper mowers are top of the line and they’re made in Kansas.

seclark
10-09-2020, 09:13 AM
this is my 4th summer on a cub cadet 48"
i mow 11acres w/it
kind of small, but the wife likes the grass mowed short:rolleyes:
takes 3-4 hours
keep the blades sharp and the oil changed...that's all i've had done to it

it's a mowing machine on the flat ground, but a pain in the ass on the ditches and the pond banks. don't really care about that though, because she weed eats those.
sec

edit to add i'll raise the deck all the way up to mow the trails in the woods to my deer stands/blinds...pretty handy for that too

htismaqe
10-09-2020, 09:15 AM
this is my 4th summer on a cub cadet 48"
i mow 11acres w/it
kind of small, but the wife likes the grass mowed short:rolleyes:
takes 3-4 hours
keep the blades sharp and the oil changed...that's all i've had done to it

it's a mowing machine on the flat ground, but a pain in the ass on the ditches and the pond banks. don't really care about that though, because she weed eats those.
sec

I hate my Cub Cadet. If I lived in the city with a regular yard, sure. But hills, banks, just about anything but flat and straight ground and it spins around like a kid on a kick board.

seclark
10-09-2020, 09:18 AM
I hate my Cub Cadet. If I lived in the city with a regular yard, sure. But hills, banks, just about anything but flat and straight ground and it spins around like a kid on a kick board.

you're correct...had to put some different tires on it. at first it was worthless after a rain.
sec

emaw1979
10-09-2020, 09:18 AM
I have a Toro Timecutter and have owned it for 3 years now. It's been fantastic. I bought the grass clipping bagger extension as well. Are there better? I'm sure but for 15,000 square feet it works.

The only downside is I didn't measure the gate to the backyard. It wouldn't fit so I had to build one on the other side of the fence.

Dayze
02-25-2021, 12:24 PM
gettting very close to making a decision.

lawn tracter, I would go with the Cub Cadet XT2 42" with the Kawi twin in it.

ZT...i'm not sure which. Toro TC or Airen's XD 42

I still haven't made the decision on ZT or regular tractor. I live in the burbs, your standard lot; I think the lot is probably between 7-9k (WAG based on some rushed google maps measurements). Don't have any tress in the back, and only 2 in the font. no real obstacles to speak of. prefer fabricated decks and good power. FLat yard, no slopes.

my initial budget was like $1k...LMAO; but I've been out of the riding mower game for the better part of 15 years. I don't want to just get a cheap mower just because it's cheap. I'm the type that maintains and keeps for quite a while. I don't mind paying a little more for better quality/service.

TribalElder
02-25-2021, 10:42 PM
I ended up pulling the trigger on a John Deere z525e for 2400 brand new at Lowe’s last nov/dec

0% for 2 years

Only regret is that I didn’t buy 2 at the time

Jan 1 they went back up to 3999

neech
02-25-2021, 11:36 PM
gettting very close to making a decision.

lawn tracter, I would go with the Cub Cadet XT2 42" with the Kawi twin in it.

ZT...i'm not sure which. Toro TC or Airen's XD 42

I haven't looked at the Cadets but I thought the Ariens oil filter wasn't very easy to get compared to other ZT's.

jdubya
02-26-2021, 12:01 AM
https://media4.giphy.com/media/jDA2I0SAErR28/200.gif

Holladay
02-26-2021, 01:28 AM
I live in the burbs, your standard lot

Why do you need a riding mower? What is your storage space for a riding mower? If you don't have hills to deal with, I would go with a cheapy Walmart mower. Why spend the money on a Grasshopper?

Mowers are not a good investment.

Holladay
02-26-2021, 01:30 AM
I've been out of the riding mower game for the better part of 15 years.

It sounds like you know what you are doing. 15 years is nothing.

Rasputin
02-26-2021, 03:59 AM
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AcJXRFjbx80" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dayze
02-26-2021, 08:25 AM
Why do you need a riding mower? What is your storage space for a riding mower? If you don't have hills to deal with, I would go with a cheapy Walmart mower. Why spend the money on a Grasshopper?

Yeah, I get that. I'm not looking at dropping $5k on a mower.
I want a powerful enough engine; and a platform and trans that will suport pulling some light towing. I want hydro for quick transition. I want to tow a utility cart, law sweeper, aerator. Tired of loading up mulch from grass pad here locally, then unloading to the driveway, then carrying bag by bag around to the back. and I'm not going to mess with a wheel barrow.

I need a riding mower because while I'm not super old, I'm old enough to know I don't wnat to fuck with push mowing anymore. it takes me about 1 hour and 45 to mow, weed eat and bag the front. in the spring, it sucks worse because there are times I can't mow due to being wet/rain. and the growth is such, that I then I have to bag the back. Summer it sucks, because Im out there busting my butt in 90+ heat. at the end, my knees are throbbing and my back is toast.. I'm so exhausted after mowing the summer, I basically don't feel up for doing anything. especially donning gear and going on a motorcycle ride.

I'm the type where I don't mind spending money on quality. in fact, I'd rather spend on quality, than junk, only to have to replace junk at a later time and do it all over again. I also take care of my stuff (cars, motorcycles etc) and maintain them and usually keep them forever.

Plus.............time savings. I want my time back.

for about $2400....it seems worth it.

Holladay
02-26-2021, 01:21 PM
All good points.

It sounds like what I use my mower for...utility. You can't do that with a push mower. My mower is an industrial zero turn for +2 acres. It is used to aerate, lawn roll, de-thatch, tow, spray etc.

Yes, you get what you pay for. I said they are a bad investment, but quality, long term for your yard, is a good idea.

In the end, we are guys. My wife doesn't get why I spend so much time and money on those lil green plants.

neech
02-26-2021, 01:34 PM

I have an average yard and I toyed with buying a JD 20 HP riding mower around 2005, I finally pulled the trigger and personally it was the best investment for me, then I sold (it holds its value very well) and got a Gravely ZT. Mowing in half the time is worth it to me IMO.

if I want a workout I go to the gym not push a lawn mower.

Holladay
02-26-2021, 04:58 PM
if I want a workout I go to the gym not push a lawn mower.

When we bought our place +25 yrs ago, I didn't have a rider. I pushed it... one... time. It took 5 hours.

I went to the Sears Outlet Store and bought a huge 25 hp 48" deck "Craftsman" mower, thinking it was a quality mower. (BTW pre CP days). Turns out, it was a MTD piece of crap that lasted 1 year.

Yes, quality is the name in almost everything. Although, I can't see a 60" Grasshopper on 1/4 acre plot. Unless for bragging rights.

Punwit
02-26-2021, 05:55 PM
I have done some similar research and the gist of that info is if you are planning on any hauling at all that a traditional mower is recommended. ZT's are for mowing .

MTG#10
02-26-2021, 06:40 PM
I went to the Sears Outlet Store and bought a huge 25 hp 48" deck "Craftsman" mower, thinking it was a quality mower. (BTW pre CP days). Turns out, it was a MTD piece of crap that lasted 1 year.

I have a 42" 1997 Craftsman mower still going strong as of fall 2020 with only routine maintenance. Not sure if its an "MTD piece of crap" but 23 years for a riding mower is pretty ****ing good in my book.

I am going to upgrade here soon though, last time I tried to change the oil on it I broke a chunk off of the block trying to get the plug unscrewed and had to JB weld it back on. Plus I made some pretty good $ on meme stocks recently and need an excuse to buy something with it.

EDIT: Damn it, I wasted my 10,000th post on this?

ChiefaRoo
02-27-2021, 11:16 AM
Grasshopper Lawnmowers, made in Kansas are the best.

kjwood75nro
02-27-2021, 06:42 PM
Hustler mowers are made in Hesston, KS.

I run the 60" deck that's in the $5-6K range.

Extremely sturdy, thick metal, fast operation, good on rough terrain.

Good resale value.

srvy
02-28-2021, 12:15 AM
Hustler mowers are made in Hesston, KS.

I run the 60" deck that's in the $5-6K range.

Extremely sturdy, thick metal, fast operation, good on rough terrain.

Good resale value.

See a lot of Hustler mowers in KC area landscape crews. Used to see almost exclusive Grasshopper now it's a mix of Hustler and Gravely and then the rest.

kjwood75nro
02-28-2021, 12:36 AM
See a lot of Hustler mowers in KC area landscape crews. Used to see almost exclusive Grasshopper now it's a mix of Hustler and Gravely and then the rest.I ran an $8-10K Grasshopper for my boss back in high school. It was the type that collected grass clippings in a bin that dumped out back.

It was only used to cut his well-kept, weed-free lawn, yet it still had problems. It cut well, but it was completely gutless, and the grass had to be bone-dry not to plug it up.

If you got it stuck, it was a disaster. Besides weighing a ton, there was no good place to attach a chain, and the metal was flimsy. Also, the deck wasn't firmly attached to the rest of the machine.

On top of that, pushing both handles all the way forward caused it to veer left, so even if it could mow at full speed without bogging down, you couldn't.

cooper barrett
02-28-2021, 07:53 AM
Buy an electric robot mower and 4getaboutit

Chief Roundup
02-28-2021, 08:32 AM
Grasshopper or John Deere cut the best. They are expensive but do the best job by FAR.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

RedRaider56
02-28-2021, 08:46 AM
I have a 42" 1997 Craftsman mower still going strong as of fall 2020 with only routine maintenance. Not sure if its an "MTD piece of crap" but 23 years for a riding mower is pretty ****ing good in my book.

I am going to upgrade here soon though, last time I tried to change the oil on it I broke a chunk off of the block trying to get the plug unscrewed and had to JB weld it back on. Plus I made some pretty good $ on meme stocks recently and need an excuse to buy something with it.

EDIT: Damn it, I wasted my 10,000th post on this?

Same here. 42" Craftsman that I purchased in 2001 and still going strong. I had to replace one of the aluminum blade spindles twice on the mower deck. I've hit a couple of large, hidden rocks in my yard and it cracked the spindle housing. other than that, it's been solid. Has the Kohler motor in it instead of the B&S.

Chief Roundup
02-28-2021, 08:54 AM
I see a lot of you saying MTD is a piece of junk. Some sure are. More than 90% of mowers are made by Michigan Tool and Die Company. It is about thebparts put in those chasis that make or break the mower.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Holladay
02-28-2021, 05:01 PM
MTD is a piece of junk

It all depends on the application. If I was to mow a smallish residential lawn with perfect drainage, slope, no roots, moles, brome grass invading, dog holes trying to find said moles, pull 55 gal lawn rollers, aerators, de-thatchers, sprayers all over un-even ground (did I mention moles), YES, a normal mower would be fine. MTD or not.

I had a Cub Garden mower for years. Still got the crap beat out of it, but it lasted 10 years.

It is all situational is all I am saying.

Perfect mowing environment, I would not have a push mower. A small JD or MTD would be fine. Then I would go to the gym:)

I use mine as a small tractor. I fill up the wagon with fire wood, move garden hoses, chain saws and fuel, transport 1 ton of top soil to fill in the dog holes that they made to find the moles (did I mention moles suck). Heck, I had the cops SWAT team me. I ran an old Honda Accord in the front yard with the exhaust pipe down a mole hole. They got a call that a suspicious vehicle was running for 3 hours in a front yard. Again, all situational.

Also, I would never go back to the standard mower. The zero saves so much time.

cooper barrett
02-28-2021, 07:25 PM
Dixie Choppers were at one time very popular. Textron ****ed that up a couple of years back. They are back with new owners being built in IL.

https://www.bannergraphic.com/photos/33/46/41/3346414-L.jpg

I had a Simplicity/ Deutz 1718gt garden tractor with Kohler 17HP and Eaton Hydro . It was a fine machine. I had it for almost 25 years (bought new) and the only repairs were caused by my abusing it. It had a bagger, snow/dozer blade, trailer, and a 30 tiller.

https://www.tractordata.com/ltphotos/F000/612/612-td4-b01.jpg

I had one of these too. 1989 Ford YT16 water cooled diesel. l would buy one of these again, in a heartbeat, but I do not own any mowing equipment. Change fluids and air the tires and it will go forever.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/KXUAAOSwikBfAkee/s-l1600.jpg

See a lot of Hustler mowers in KC area landscape crews. Used to see almost exclusive Grasshopper now it's a mix of Hustler and Gravely and then the rest.

Holladay
02-28-2021, 09:07 PM
That Ford brings back memories. I traded in that Craftsman for $1k and bought one of those Fords (~1976 model). It was a tank. Hydrostat Hi and Low gear range with garden tires, fluid in the tires and wheel weights, dude went everywhere. My wife dicked up her back on a horse riding event and that thing rode like a Model T, wasted her back, thus traded in for the Cub Garden Tractor.

Wish I still had that Ford though.

R8RFAN
03-01-2021, 05:35 AM
well I don't really have a strong opinion but I bought a Toro with the Kohler Courage about 6 years ago at the Homo Depot for like 2300 bucks , it's kept in the garage and I have done nothing to it but put gas in it and change the oil and bought new blades for it. I plan to get a commercial grade when it wears out but at this time it shows no sign of slowing down.

Dayze
03-01-2021, 08:30 AM
ended up deciding on the Cub XT2 Enduro series; also bought the tow behind utility dump cart w/ folding sides; and a rear bagging system.

an unexpected purchase was a snow blower. I was looking at them while the guy was gettting some paper work ready and he said "if you're interested in a snow blower, I'll make you a hell of a deal; I'll sell that at cost". I guess they needed to get the blowers out of the way in the show room, and he didn't want to store them (supposedly). anyway, got the 2X for 300 less than retail.

dude also knocked off $200 from the XT. He also shaved off $50 each for the bagger and cart if I was willing to put it together myself. which, of course I would be to save $100.
expensive day, but worth it. I feel so relieved I do'nt have to push this lawn anymore. supposed to have everything delivered today.

cooper barrett
03-01-2021, 10:52 AM
What model? engine?

Self contained snow blower? or front mount? width?

Bagger with blower? Price the bags and you will know why you should always line them with trash bags.

The nice part about new toys is the new toys the new toys get like mulching kits and lawn striping kits. Wheel weights. or even branded mittens LMAOLMAO

https://i1.wp.com/gardeningproductsreview.com/wp-content/uploads/EZ-Stow-Hauler-Cart-Side-Rack.jpg?resize=768%2C480&ssl=1

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/34KXn5ne1i0?start=204&end=235" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

When I bought my Deutz Allis the dealer, on Johnson Dr., transferred a tractor and blower from a new dealer, on 23rd St, and got the discounted, "new dealer, grand opening deal" and sold them to me for less than cost if he would have ordered or stocked the tractor. (vs std. pricing plus no shipping) It was a great deal and everyone made money except for the new dealer who could have made bank if he sold them.;)

They floor plan (finance) their stock and they hate paying the interest, any interest, during the winter, so deals can be made at end of season.

ended up deciding on the Cub XT2 Enduro series; also bought the tow behind utility dump cart w/ folding sides; and a rear bagging system.

an unexpected purchase was a snow blower. I was looking at them while the guy was gettting some paper work ready and he said "if you're interested in a snow blower, I'll make you a hell of a deal; I'll sell that at cost". I guess they needed to get the blowers out of the way in the show room, and he didn't want to store them (supposedly). anyway, got the 2X for 300 less than retail.

dude also knocked off $200 from the XT. He also shaved off $50 each for the bagger and cart if I was willing to put it together myself. which, of course I would be to save $100.
expensive day, but worth it. I feel so relieved I do'nt have to push this lawn anymore. supposed to have everything delivered today.

Dayze
03-01-2021, 11:13 AM
on the mower engine is a 18HP Kawasaki twin. I meant I got the 2 bagger system for the mower; I might have typo'd that earlier..

BLower i got for 600.
Cub Cadet 2X 24" 243cc Snowthrower
https://www.landmsupply.com/media/catalog/product/2/x/2x_24_2020_snowblower.jpg?quality=100&fit=bounds&height=500&width=500&canvas=500:500

cooper barrett
03-01-2021, 11:21 AM
So it's a 42" cut?

See edit above?

Dayze
03-01-2021, 11:43 AM
correct; 42" cut with fabricated deck.

and that's the cart I got as well. but I did not get the attachemnt for the cart that collect leaves (I think theh call it a leaf collection system? ). i'm gonna see if the regular grass rear 2 bagger will suffice for my yard. might only have to empty once or twice for my yard. we'll see. since I have to set out bags at the curb for the city to pick up and I don't have a compost pile etc.

I thought about getting one of those drag behind leaf bag things, and haul it to the compost place down the road a bit. but I'm gonna see if the bagger can do it first,.

going to order a tow behind lawn sweeper too. just for those instances where I might need / want to pick up stuff, but don't necessarily want to put the bagger on . I think the bgager will be used mostly in the spring when sometimes grass can get a bit tall to mulch; and in the fall.

gonna be nice going from a 21" push to a 42" rider LMAO. and when I dethach, instead of raking it all up; just tow the sweeper behind and call it good. (or bagger).

cooper barrett
03-01-2021, 12:20 PM
A system like this is the way to go. when you don't want to bag you just remove the tube and hang it so the grass clipping just blow out the back.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qKOzQQcr_kc?controls=0&amp;start=33&end=113" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/jbgAAOSwDRZfrXy3/s-l1600.jpg

You will learn that more often is the only rule(s) you need to know.

Mow more often, gather leaves more often. Just never mow "Moist" grass....

Install a fuel filter and a shut off valve, and buy ethanol free fuel....