PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Glass Completely Full Outlook

pugsnotdrugs19
10-11-2020, 03:42 PM
Well that sucked. We forgot what that felt like. Been over 11 months since the Chiefs lost.

And maybe it’s just what they needed. A swift kick in the teeth to lock them back in. We can finally put any silly talk or thoughts of an undefeated season aside, and get back to taking it one opponent at a time.

There were many issues out there today, but none that can’t be fixed. Can’t forget, it was this week last season when the Chiefs also lost their first game (and looked really bad in doing so).

Much is going to change, this team, for better or worse, will not be the same come January. We just have to hope for the best when it comes to injuries. Osemele going down stinks, but Rankin will be back in the fold shortly. You can bet that this offensive line (which has gone through funks before) is going to get better. This offense and defense both are going to be better. The coaching staff and leaders on the team won’t allow anything else.

And it starts next Monday night at Buffalo. Kansas City is going to be locked in and they are going to get the W.

As fans we are in a spot that we simply haven’t been in for the most part. We get everybody’s best shot, and today the Faid hit on theirs. That’s ok, it’s part of being the defending SB champs; we will be better for it as the season(s) go along.

Lastly, just look around the league at some other franchises. Look at San Francisco and what they are dealing with. It could be so, so much worse. We’ve got it better than anybody, can’t forget that.

Now, beat the motherfucking Bills.

smithandrew051
10-11-2020, 03:45 PM
Beat the Bills, and no one will give a shit about this one.

JakeF
10-11-2020, 03:46 PM

Probably.

Easy 6
10-11-2020, 03:53 PM
Don't even care, let Vegas have their regular season Super Bowl... sometimes you need a wound to lick, just to remind you you're fallible

Sassy Squatch
10-11-2020, 03:59 PM
It's whatever. Even in 2018 this team had a stretch where they looked pedestrian. If they're flat again against the Bills then it's going to be pretty damn concerning.

DRM08
10-11-2020, 04:01 PM
Curious to see what the betting line will be with Buffalo. This loss will have a lot of media folks giving KC no chance against the Bills. So we shall see if they can use that for motivation like they did against Baltimore.

lcarus
10-11-2020, 04:01 PM
Don't even care, let Vegas have their regular season Super Bowl... sometimes you need a wound to lick, just to remind you you're fallible

Yep. As long as we turn it around pretty quickly, it means very little. The only thing it means is they won't go undefeated, which was unlikely as hell anyhow.

Now the media dumbasses will all say "The Raiders might win this division!! They're a tough football team and the Chiefs are soft!!" And then the Chiefs finish 13-3 and the Raiders finish 8-8. We've all seen this movie before.

MahomesMagic
10-11-2020, 04:02 PM
We need to sharpen up and run through some wins now. Our schedule gets easier for a bit.

TomBarndtsTwin
10-11-2020, 04:04 PM
Meh. Not worried.

They had a bad game. It happens.

As OP stated, been 11 months. We were bound to lose eventually.

Injuries happened, some questionable officiating, Faid dominated the LOS. Faid just appeared to want it more today. It happens.

Look forward to the rematch in Vegas. Bring em on.

petegz28
10-11-2020, 04:10 PM
Look at it this way, it took the Raiders to have their best performance in years, for us to have our worst collective team effort in years and the Refs taking 3 TD's off the board among a few other obvious bullshit calls and non-calls for the Raiders to beat us by 8.

pugsnotdrugs19
10-11-2020, 04:15 PM
Look at it this way, it took the Raiders to have their best performance in years, for us to have our worst collective team effort in years and the Refs taking 3 TD's off the board among a few other obvious bullshit calls and non-calls for the Raiders to beat us by 8.

No doubt.

Was on a drive a bit ago and just thought to myself, if that’s what it takes for a division foe to beat the Reid/Mahomes Chiefs, these division losses are going to continue to be very, very rare.

WhiteWhale
10-11-2020, 04:16 PM
I'm not alarmed.

TERRIBLE defensive performance though.

mililo4cpa
10-11-2020, 04:18 PM
while it's hard to suggest as much because it was a divisional game....but I'd like to think the Chiefs were looking past the Raiders. Other than it being a divisional game, it has all the earmarks of a tarp game:

1. Inferior opponent at home
2. Beat the crap out of them twice last year
3. Week after big Monday night game against a quality opponent
4. Next game against an undefeated contender

And let's not forget that, as of this morning, it still wasn't decided if they would play on Thursday or not...

Generally, I wouldn't expect anyone looking past a divisional opponent, but it sure felt that way...

P.S. I think this team has their eye on the bigger prize....I believe we'll see a much more focused effort against the Bills

RunKC
10-11-2020, 04:19 PM
We are getting everybody’s best shot. It’s literally their Super Bowl to beat us. After playing against two of the top teams in the conference the last couple years on prime time, we had to play against the Raiders best football and we can’t keep up.

In this situation it’s hard keeping up our excellent play on both sides of the ball consistently.

Mahomes_Is_God
10-11-2020, 04:19 PM

I like and support this post. Thank you.

mililo4cpa
10-11-2020, 04:23 PM
Also, was it just me, or was Pat pissed at the end.

It looked like Carr was looking for him after the game, but Pat pulled a Bad Boy Pistons and got off the field quick.... Might be reading too much into this, but I don't think he was happy. Could just be him not wanting another Stephon Gilmore situation. But the way he left quick and in the tunnel suggested to me that he was livid....

A mad Mahomes is a dangerous Mahomes, because he seems to have a way of getting the ship righted in a hurry....

oldman
10-11-2020, 04:48 PM

Not true, it was the #@$&** Raiders. I want us to lay 50+ on them every freaking game.

That said, I wonder if we didn't let down a bit for this one. Maybe a few people have been reading and believing their news clippings. Maybe Andy has a super-dooper set of plays he's holdng for the Bills. It just wasn't our best effort.

chiefzilla1501
10-11-2020, 04:51 PM
Also, was it just me, or was Pat pissed at the end.

It looked like Carr was looking for him after the game, but Pat pulled a Bad Boy Pistons and got off the field quick.... Might be reading too much into this, but I don't think he was happy. Could just be him not wanting another Stephon Gilmore situation. But the way he left quick and in the tunnel suggested to me that he was livid....

A mad Mahomes is a dangerous Mahomes, because he seems to have a way of getting the ship righted in a hurry....

I think it has a lot more to do with the Gilmore thing. I can't see him ever doing that. But no doubt he was pissed

chiefzilla1501
10-11-2020, 04:57 PM
I remember saying this last year... One of the worst things is when your team gets exposed late in the year. Those are harder to fix. It's early and we have the best in the biz to fix this.

Our players maybe lost a little edge and needed a wake up call. They got it today. You could see it in their eyes.

Veach is one of the best. Last year he made a few moves that saved our season. He can help us out in the coming weeks.

Our leadership on both sides of the ball is perfect for this. I wouldn't feel that way 2 years ago.

And our coaches need to work around some of our problem areas. We have the best in the biz to solve that.

Losing sucks but we will be fine. Time to turn adversity into a positive.

oldman
10-11-2020, 05:03 PM
I think it has a lot more to do with the Gilmore thing. I can't see him ever doing that. But no doubt he was pissed

I think he said earlier in the week that he was just going to head to the tunnel.

carcosa
10-11-2020, 05:21 PM
Chiefs #1!!!!!

comochiefsfan
10-11-2020, 05:51 PM
You just hate to drop games like this in a year where the #1 seed is so critical. Luckily we’ve already secured some pretty important tie breakers.

What’s more concerning is that the offense has looked downright anemic at times during 4 of our 5 games. Something just isn’t clicking. The defense also regressed in a big way today.

We’re still in ok shape but there are some things that are going to start becoming concerning if they don’t get ironed out in short order.

mililo4cpa
10-11-2020, 05:54 PM
You just hate to drop games like this in a year where the #1 seed is so critical. Luckily we’ve already secured some pretty important tie breakers.

What’s more concerning is that the offense has looked downright anemic at times during 4 of our 5 games. Something just isn’t clicking. The defense also regressed in a big way today.

We’re still in ok shape but there are some things that are going to start becoming concerning if they don’t get ironed out in short order.

I wonder how much the lack of pre-season reps impact our playbook.....certainly every team had that issue, but Reid's book is notoriously large and complex relatively speaking....perhaps some timing issues that they need to work out on top of the OL play?

pugsnotdrugs19
10-11-2020, 05:54 PM

All true — but thankfully it’s just week 5. No one better for the job than our staff and players.

TEX
10-11-2020, 06:20 PM
Not true, it was the #@$&** Raiders. I want us to lay 50+ on them every freaking game.

That said, I wonder if we didn't let down a bit for this one. Maybe a few people have been reading and believing their news clippings. Maybe Andy has a super-dooper set of plays he's holdng for the Bills. It just wasn't our best effort.

Yep. The mother fucking Raiders...Worse still was how we lost. The Raiders dominated the LOS on both sides of ball.

chiefzilla1501
10-11-2020, 06:47 PM
I wonder how much the lack of pre-season reps impact our playbook.....certainly every team had that issue, but Reid's book is notoriously large and complex relatively speaking....perhaps some timing issues that they need to work out on top of the OL play?

There's a lot going on. There's that, injuries to an already mediocre interior OL, maybe nonchalance from winning too much, and I'll throw this out there... the covid chaos couldn't have helped. Between rescheduling last week, to rescheduling next week, to the strength coach and mahomes questions. I mean... Did mahomes even get full reps or were the Chiefs somewhat isolating him last week? Reid's a pro but thats a lot of stuff for a coach to deal with.

eDave
10-11-2020, 06:52 PM
Probably.

Raiders get rolled next week. They blew their load today. Victory letdown is coming.

chiefzilla1501
10-11-2020, 06:53 PM
I wonder if Rankin is good to return from IR in a few weeks. He looked really good before he got hurt last year. Would much rather him over Remmers. Next time we play Oakland we should hopefully have him and snead back. Snead would be huge.

TEX
10-11-2020, 07:01 PM
Raiders get rolled next week. They blew their load today. Victory letdown is coming.

Dont they have a bye?

TEX
10-11-2020, 07:03 PM
There's a lot going on. There's that, injuries to an already mediocre interior OL, maybe nonchalance from winning too much, and I'll throw this out there... the covid chaos couldn't have helped. Between rescheduling last week, to rescheduling next week, to the strength coach and mahomes questions. I mean... Did mahomes even get full reps or were the Chiefs somewhat isolating him last week? Reid's a pro but thats a lot of stuff for a coach to deal with.

Naw, they just got their shit pushed in all game after Big O went down....

DaneMcCloud
10-11-2020, 07:10 PM
First off, I couldn't care less that the Chiefs lost today and in some ways, it may lift the burden of all this 16-0 talk off their shoulders.

The Chiefs have struggled this year against the Chargers, Patriots and now, Raiders, which isn't surprising. The Raiders and Chargers have had two off-seasons in which to draft and acquire players that match up much better with the Chiefs offensive weapons, while adding weapons of their own. Belichick could probably grab 11 guys off the street to play defense and still give Mahomes problems because Bill Belichick is Bill Belichick.

The AFC West was never going to be the AFC East.

This was going to be a weird season, regardless. No tailgating, no 80,000 screaming fans, COVID, COVID testing, COVID outbreaks and so on. Mahomes has a baby coming, which most likely makes things a bit scarier for him and there's no way that COVID isn't on these guys minds 24/7, especially after two reported cases.

This team definitely has issues to address, mainly stemming from the personnel side of the ball now that LDT and Osemele are gone for the season. Wylie and Reiter were never anything more than average, which was covered a bit by Schwartz in 2019 but his play has slipped considerably, which to me indicates he's suffering from an undisclosed injury. Guys like Schwartz don't suddenly fall of a cliff for no reason and the last time this happened, he had an undisclosed high ankle sprain.

Veach has his work cut out for him because not only does he need to conjure up a couple of interior lineman, but the Chiefs desperately need someone other than CEH to contribute to the running game because it's very clear that he can't do it alone. The absence of Sammy Watkins was immediately felt and it's extremely doubtful there's anyone out there on a Practice Squad or as a Free Agent that can provide what Sammy can provide, so the rest of the guys really need to step up their game.

D-Rob continues to steal money from the Clark's.

While there are NO easy games in the NFL, the schedule does give the Chiefs a slight break after the Bills game, so hopefully they can heal up and be ready in time for a Post-Bye run. Last year, they were 8-4 heading down the stretch but were elevated greatly by the return of Mahomes and Damien Williams, who absolutely lit up the league in the final 8 games.

Who will be the guy(s) to spark the Chiefs down the stretch?

eDave
10-11-2020, 07:13 PM
Dont they have a bye?

I don't know. I'm pretty dumb.

scho63
10-11-2020, 09:23 PM
Brought everyone back to reality.....

htismaqe
10-11-2020, 10:03 PM
First off, I couldn't care less that the Chiefs lost today and in some ways, it may lift the burden of all this 16-0 talk off their shoulders.

The Chiefs have struggled this year against the Chargers, Patriots and now, Raiders, which isn't surprising. The Raiders and Chargers have had two off-seasons in which to draft and acquire players that match up much better with the Chiefs offensive weapons, while adding weapons of their own. Belichick could probably grab 11 guys off the street to play defense and still give Mahomes problems because Bill Belichick is Bill Belichick.

The AFC West was never going to be the AFC East.

This was going to be a weird season, regardless. No tailgating, no 80,000 screaming fans, COVID, COVID testing, COVID outbreaks and so on. Mahomes has a baby coming, which most likely makes things a bit scarier for him and there's no way that COVID isn't on these guys minds 24/7, especially after two reported cases.

This team definitely has issues to address, mainly stemming from the personnel side of the ball now that LDT and Osemele are gone for the season. Wylie and Reiter were never anything more than average, which was covered a bit by Schwartz in 2019 but his play has slipped considerably, which to me indicates he's suffering from an undisclosed injury. Guys like Schwartz don't suddenly fall of a cliff for no reason and the last time this happened, he had an undisclosed high ankle sprain.

Veach has his work cut out for him because not only does he need to conjure up a couple of interior lineman, but the Chiefs desperately need someone other than CEH to contribute to the running game because it's very clear that he can't do it alone. The absence of Sammy Watkins was immediately felt and it's extremely doubtful there's anyone out there on a Practice Squad or as a Free Agent that can provide what Sammy can provide, so the rest of the guys really need to step up their game.

D-Rob continues to steal money from the Clark's.

While there are NO easy games in the NFL, the schedule does give the Chiefs a slight break after the Bills game, so hopefully they can heal up and be ready in time for a Post-Bye run. Last year, they were 8-4 heading down the stretch but were elevated greatly by the return of Mahomes and Damien Williams, who absolutely lit up the league in the final 8 games.

Who will be the guy(s) to spark the Chiefs down the stretch?

Great post.

eDave
10-11-2020, 10:06 PM
Great post.

Glad Dane is back with us this season.

mnchiefsguy
10-11-2020, 10:18 PM
41 News Sunday Sound off already asking if this is the worst loss of the Mahomes era....

Gonna be a week of over reaction.

htismaqe
10-11-2020, 10:20 PM
41 News Sunday Sound off already asking if this is the worst loss of the Mahomes era....

Considering how few losses there have been in the Mahomes era, it easily could be.

That's the best part of being the fucking champs.

DRM08
10-11-2020, 10:25 PM

They need some adversity and negative media coverage thrown at them. Maybe it can help motivate them to play a lot better next week.

mnchiefsguy
10-11-2020, 11:49 PM
Considering how few losses there have been in the Mahomes era, it easily could be.

That's the best part of being the ****ing champs.

Indeed. But frankly the loss is not gonna mean much when the team is hoisting another Lombardi come Feb. :)

The team will address their issues. Chiefs beat themselves as much as anything today, and that is fixable.

Danguardace
10-12-2020, 12:32 AM
The schedule eases up after the bills game

eDave
10-12-2020, 12:34 AM
3 losses to go to match our Superbowl season.

htismaqe
10-12-2020, 07:25 AM
Indeed. But frankly the loss is not gonna mean much when the team is hoisting another Lombardi come Feb. :)

The team will address their issues. Chiefs beat themselves as much as anything today, and that is fixable.

I totally agree.

The first thing that came to mind this morning when I woke up this morning was this:

Remember last year when people were talking about Raiders winning the division when the Chiefs went on an October slide and both teams were 6-4?

Yeah, one team lost 5 of 6 and ended up with a losing record. The other team won 6 straight games, won 3 more in the playoffs, and won a championship.

I hope Raider fans enjoy this week. Maybe they can store up some of these good vibes to keep them warm when they're sitting on the couch in January wishing their team was in the playoffs.

Chris Meck
10-12-2020, 08:01 AM
We're fine. We weren't going to go 19-0.

The Chiefs needed a wake-up call. They've been unfocused most of the year.

O.city
10-12-2020, 08:07 AM
They’ll still finish woth 12 or 13 wins, have the one seed etc

Meh. Definitely need to play better but whatever. Evidence shows they’ll figure it out

htismaqe
10-12-2020, 08:09 AM
They’ll still finish woth 12 or 13 wins, have the one seed etc

Meh. Definitely need to play better but whatever. Evidence shows they’ll figure it out

Yep. Knowing this team, they'll go out and put a beatdown on Buffalo and be right back where they should be.

chiefzilla1501
10-12-2020, 08:15 AM
Yep. Knowing this team, they'll go out and put a beatdown on Buffalo and be right back where they should be.

Clark and Matthieu will lay into the defense. Mahomes is not only angry, you know he wants to outduel Josh Allen.

We will have a long week, Buffalo will have a short one (likely) after getting punched in the mouth by Derrick Henry.

Reid is as good as it gets with bouncebacks. And that's exactly what we'll do.

smithandrew051
10-12-2020, 08:16 AM
Now that I’ve calmed down, here’s a few things that happened in this game that don’t typically happen:

1. Patrick Mahomes had a completion percentage barely over 50%
2. The Raiders had 5 plays over 40 yards
3. Jones-Clark-Mathieu-Thornhill combined for 7 tackles, 1 QB Hit, and 0 every other meaningful defensive stat
4. Chiefs had 2 scores taken off the board from penalties
5. Chiefs lost a scoring opportunity on an obvious missed pass interference
6. The Raiders had 262 yards on 5 plays, and 228 on their other 62 plays
7. Despite the big plays, the Raiders also won time of possession by over 10 minutes
8. Chiefs had 35 more penalty yards
9. Chiefs started the second half with 4 consecutive scoreless drives
10. On those 4 drives, the Chiefs gained a total of 40 yards and Mahomes’s interception was returned for 47 yards (so the Raiders defense gained more yards than the Chiefs offense in the second half through that point)

ALL of that combined equaled an 8-point loss.

IowaHawkeyeChief
10-12-2020, 08:17 AM
Defense gave up uncharacteristic big plays... Some new folks coming back and some confusion with our safeties. All fixable. As other have said, they got all the breaks and we were sleep walking and they still only won by 8. If we hold them on the 4th down or make them punt, we all know that game was going to OT...

Edit: The post above, submitted seconds before me, says it in much more detail.

TEX
10-12-2020, 08:29 AM
Now that I’ve calmed down, here’s a few things that happened in this game that don’t typically happen:

1. Patrick Mahomes had a completion percentage barely over 50%
2. The Raiders had 5 plays over 40 yards
3. Jones-Clark-Mathieu-Thornhill combined for 7 tackles, 1 QB Hit, and 0 every other meaningful defensive stat
4. Chiefs had 2 scores taken off the board from penalties
5. Chiefs lost a scoring opportunity on an obvious missed pass interference
6. The Raiders had 262 yards on 5 plays, and 228 on their other 62 plays
7. Despite the big plays, the Raiders also won time of possession by over 10 minutes
8. Chiefs had 35 more penalty yards
9. Chiefs started the second half with 4 consecutive scoreless drives
10. On those 4 drives, the Chiefs gained a total of 40 yards and Mahomes’s interception was returned for 47 yards (so the Raiders defense gained more yards than the Chiefs offense in the second half through that point)

ALL of that combined equaled an 8-point loss.

All true. I might add that the Chiefs lost the battle in the trenches on both sides of the ball, which lead to many of the points you listed. That, more than anything else, is why they lost the game.

TEX
10-12-2020, 08:30 AM
Clark and Matthieu will lay into the defense. Mahomes is not only angry, you know he wants to outduel Josh Allen.

We will have a long week, Buffalo will have a short one (likely) after getting punched in the mouth by Derrick Henry.

Reid is as good as it gets with bouncebacks. And that's exactly what we'll do.

Hope so. Buffalo is better than the Raiders.

Only158
10-12-2020, 08:37 AM
I will. Its the mother f***ing Raiders. Andy could use a little “I’ll do anything to win this game.”

smithandrew051
10-12-2020, 08:45 AM
One major piece of optimism:

The Chiefs have flaws. We know this.

Buuuutttt what AFC team doesn’t?

On the Chiefs best day, they will trash any AFC team. On their worst day, the Chiefs will still be within a score at the end.

CapsLockKey
10-12-2020, 08:48 AM
It took a career game by Carr, terrible calls, a below average performance by both the offense and defense and a 4th and inches play to lose by 8. Chiefs will be fine. After watching the Dallas game after, it took away some of the sting of the loss as things could always ended up a lot worse.

FloridaMan88
10-12-2020, 09:22 AM
Bottom line is if one of those TD’s is not called back due to a questionable call the Chiefs likely win.

Yes the Chiefs have some issues to work out... but no need to panic.

TEX
10-12-2020, 09:34 AM
Bottom line is if one of those TD’s is not called back due to a questionable call the Chiefs likely win.

Yes the Chiefs have some issues to work out... but no need to panic.
No need to panic, but the Chiefs need to take a look at the OL. It has had issues in 3 of the 5 games and the Raiders D was ranked 32nd against the run, and pushed the KC OL's shit in. Also did it against the pass with just sending 3, sometimes 4, much of the time. They're NOT the Chargers or Patriots DL.

philfree
10-12-2020, 09:44 AM
We coasted to 4 wins after winning the SB and as much as I hate for it to have started with the Raiders this team needs some adversity.

smithandrew051
10-12-2020, 09:46 AM
No need to panic, but the Chiefs need to take a look at the OL. It has had issues in 3 of the 5 games and the Raiders D was ranked 32nd against the run, and pushed the KC OL's shit in. Also did it against the pass with just sending 3, sometimes 4, much of the time. They're NOT the Chargers or Patriots DL.

The Raiders defense was also ranked 30th in DVOA pass defense.

That is NOT a good defense.

Their offense was ranked 10th in overall offense DVOA.

I’m much more disappointed with the offense than the defense in this one. I have much higher expectations for the offense than the defense, especially when we’re playing a team with a significantly better offense than defense.

htismaqe
10-12-2020, 09:47 AM
All true. I might add that the Chiefs lost the battle in the trenches on both sides of the ball, which lead to many of the points you listed. That, more than anything else, is why they lost the game.

Even with losing the battle in the trenches, the biggest reason they lost is that Derrick Carr (yes, Derrick Carr) had passes of 46, 59, and 72 yards.

You're not going to beat the Raiders if you make Carr look like Mahomes.

Mecca
10-12-2020, 09:49 AM
Even with losing the battle in the trenches, the biggest reason they lost is that Derrick Carr (yes, Derrick Carr) had passes of 46, 59, and 72 yards.

They got no pressure on him so he didn't look like Derek Carr and for most of his passing plays he just found Ward/Niemann or Sorensen and threw it there.

He literally threw 1 pass to Bashaud Breelands side.

crayzkirk
It's been a very strange year; I'm working on staying happy that we have football at all. After all, it's just a game and the monkey is off the Chief's back.

In the grand scheme of things, it's all pretty meaningless...

Dunerdr
I'm not panicking, this team needed a reminder last season that Mahomes cant do it all. Lets rally boys.

htismaqe
10-12-2020, 09:50 AM
They got no pressure on him so he didn't look like Derek Carr and for most of his passing plays he just found Ward/Niemann or Sorensen and threw it there.

He literally threw 1 pass to Bashaud Breelands side.

Pressure or no, there were at least 3 plays where the DB wasn't within TWENTY yards of the receiver.

That has nothing to do with pass rush.

Mecca
10-12-2020, 09:51 AM
A couple of other things that are obvious, The Chiefs have no trust in Edwards-Helaire as a receiver other than doing the checkdown at this point.

When Mahomes throwing to the flat the ball is coming out very late which leads to minimal gains.

smithandrew051
10-12-2020, 09:52 AM

Over half of the Raiders yards came on 5 plays.

As bad as big plays are, that’s typically correctable through scheme, assignments, etc.

It’s not like the Raiders beat us like the Patriots did in the AFCCG.

They only had 1 scoring drive without a play of 40+ yards (not counting the 2 yard TD drive after Mahomes’s pick).

Mecca
10-12-2020, 09:52 AM
Pressure or no, there were at least 3 plays where the DB wasn't within TWENTY yards of the receiver.

That has nothing to do with pass rush.

Ward was brutally bad, got benched. He also did himself no favors when he decided to casually jog like ah well fuck it.

He gave up 3 TDs in about 5 minutes, how do you do that?

MGRS13
10-12-2020, 09:53 AM
I hate to pull a donkey fan cliche out here, but... this was the faids super bowl. My buddies 11 year old son was old chiefs fan distraught after words. I told him this “who ever the faid plays next (Buccaneers) they lose. The chiefs are learning, slowly for whatever reason, that they are the hunted. Every team the chiefs play will be bringing their best game. The chiefs have to get over the low energy lack of fan presence that this year will bring, and start playing every game like it’s the ravens. I’m not predicting a win yet but I believe the chiefs come out faster, hotter and meaner in the bills game.

TEX
10-12-2020, 09:53 AM

I here ya. My point is, with pressure, he does not have time to throw the deep stuff. Those passes were not even contested at the LOS. Get in his face and I bet he misses at least 1 of them. Probably more.

chiefzilla1501
10-12-2020, 09:57 AM
Ward was brutally bad, got benched. He also did himself no favors when he decided to casually jog like ah well **** it.

He gave up 3 TDs in about 5 minutes, how do you do that?

We really need snead to be back for our next raiders game. Until then someone's got to guard Diggs who is one hell of a route runner.

Mecca
10-12-2020, 10:03 AM
Until Ben Niemann and Dan Sorensen aren't on the field so much were gonna see issues because it's pretty obvious other teams target them.

CupidStunt
10-12-2020, 10:04 AM
It's whatever. Even in 2018 this team had a stretch where they looked pedestrian. If they're flat again against the Bills then it's going to be pretty damn concerning.

Not really. Last year we lost back-to-back home games to drop to 4-2, scoring 37 points combined in those games.

If it's week 12 and we're still playing shit against mediocre teams because we think we can win without trying? I'll be a little concerned. Although to be honest I'm not overly worried about how we play vs bad teams anyway. It's how we fare against the good teams that matters.

You know who demolishes bad teams week in and week out? The Baltimore Ravens, who can't win a big game to save their lives.

Pat and the D will show up big next week. Book it. They'll be pissed after yesterday, and after all the hate that piles on, and with the Bills getting all the hype because they're hot and we're not, you know how it goes. It's the same old story. I mean literally Baltimore all over again. People were all over their nuts because they looked good beating bad teams, but when it really matters, 15 steps up while Lamar shrinks.

Week from now everyone will be like, "Ohhh yeah I never should've doubted the Chiefs. Of course they were gonna beat the Bills."

Injuries are a different story. Watkins and Kelechi are huge losses, and apparently Snead too.

htismaqe
10-12-2020, 10:05 AM
I here ya. My point is, with pressure, he does not have time to throw the deep stuff. Those passes were not even contested at the LOS. Get in his face and I bet he misses at least 1 of them. Probably more.

Some of the Chiefs pressure is because of good coverage too, yesterday they didn't have any time to get those hustle plays because guys were just wide open. I'm right there with you, though. There's a lot they can do better.

htismaqe
10-12-2020, 10:06 AM
Not really. Last year we lost back-to-back home games to drop to 4-2, scoring 37 points combined in those games.

If it's week 12 and we're still playing shit against mediocre teams because we think we can win without trying? I'll be a little concerned. Although to be honest I'm not overly worried about how we play vs bad teams anyway. It's how we fare against the good teams that matters.

You know who demolishes bad teams week in and week out? The Baltimore Ravens, who can't win a big game to save their lives.

Pat and the D will show up big next week. Book it. They'll be pissed after yesterday, and after all the hate that piles on, and with the Bills getting all the hype because they're hot and we're not, you know how it goes. It's the same old story. I mean literally Baltimore all over again. People were all over their nuts because they looked good beating bad teams, but when it really matters, 15 steps up while Lamar shrinks.

Week from now everyone will be like, "Ohhh yeah I never should've doubted the Chiefs. Of course they were gonna beat the Bills."

Injuries are a different story. Watkins and Kelechi are huge losses, and apparently Snead too.

Good post.

RunKC
10-12-2020, 10:15 AM
Until Ben Niemann and Dan Sorensen aren't on the field so much were gonna see issues because it's pretty obvious other teams target them.

Not worried. Gay will be a full time starter with more experience by November and Sneed will be back in December.

The guys were lazy yesterday too. Everybody talks about Ward but Matheiu looked like Marcus Peters yesterday. He was part of the play that got us smoked for a long TD and also just stood there towards the end instead of trying to tackle Jacobs.

htismaqe
10-12-2020, 10:17 AM
Not worried. Gay will be a full time starter with more experience by November and Sneed will be back in December.

The guys were lazy yesterday too. Everybody talks about Ward but Matheiu looked like Marcus Peters yesterday. He was part of the play that got us smoked for a long TD and also just stood there towards the end instead of trying to tackle Jacobs.

Yeah, I mentioned it before - Mathieu and Thornhill had their share of blame yesterday.

And Willie Gay got drug around by Jacobs a couple of times too. Jacobs is a tough dude, he's gonna get his yards. They're not going to stop him cold on every play.

chiefzilla1501
10-12-2020, 10:19 AM

I hope so. Was it just me or did Willie gay look really lost yesterday. He has a ways to go.

smithandrew051
10-12-2020, 10:21 AM
Yeah, I mentioned it before - Mathieu and Thornhill had their share of blame yesterday.

And Willie Gay got drug around by Jacobs a couple of times too. Jacobs is a tough dude, he's gonna get his yards. They're not going to stop him cold on every play.

Jacobs longest run was 7 yards and averaged 3.5 per carry.

The defense did pretty well against him.

CasselGotPeedOn
10-12-2020, 10:22 AM
Who was it that blew coverage on the 3rd and 18?

pugsnotdrugs19
Preseason I had us 13-3 with a 4-2 record in the first six likely.

Get to 5-1 with all those critical tie breakers and we’ll be in a tremendous spot.

pugsnotdrugs19
Who was it that blew coverage on the 3rd and 18?

Thompson bit up. But really there should have been some pressure, Carr had all the time in the world.

htismaqe
10-12-2020, 10:37 AM
Jacobs longest run was 7 yards and averaged 3.5 per carry.

The defense did pretty well against him.

Yeah, I'm not saying they didn't. I'm just saying on those 3rd and 4th and shorts, he's really hard to stop.

smithandrew051
10-12-2020, 10:43 AM
The 1 seed is critical.

Beat the Bills, and we’re in the drivers seat for it. 5-1 with the hardest stretch of the schedule done.

MahomesMagic
10-12-2020, 11:06 AM
There is no excuse not to drop 40+ on the Bills.

They play zone and their best pass-rusher is Hughes who is losing a step and try hard roids guy Trent Murphy. Ed Oliver is blah for a top ten pick.

They are playing Josh Norman at CB who is slowwww.

On offense Josh Allen will look great if he gets time and can find his first read. Let's take out Diggs, use Matthieu to erase Beasley from the slot and pressure Allen. Allen chokes under pressure.

pugsnotdrugs19
10-12-2020, 11:14 AM
There is no excuse not to drop 40+ on the Bills.

They play zone and their best pass-rusher is Hughes who is losing a step and try hard roids guy Trent Murphy. Ed Oliver is blah for a top ten pick.

They are playing Josh Norman at CB who is slowwww.

On offense Josh Allen will look great if he gets time and can find his first read. Let's take out Diggs, use Matthieu to erase Beasley from the slot and pressure Allen. Allen chokes under pressure.

I don’t disagree and with a highly motivated team I do expect a great showing... but the Raiders had the worst pass rush in the AFC on paper. Still got pressure.

They’ve got work out these kinks or Buffalo will too.

MahomesMagic
10-12-2020, 11:16 AM
I don’t disagree and with a highly motivated team I do expect a great showing... but the Raiders had the worst pass rush in the AFC on paper. Still got pressure.

Agreed that the OL needs to step up.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
10-12-2020, 11:20 AM
Brandon Marshall said our secondary has been trash for years and that the league has figured out Mahomes

gold_and_red
10-12-2020, 11:23 AM
Brandon Marshall said our secondary has been trash for years and that the league has figured out Mahomes

Keep those hits coming. They said the same before the Ravens game.

pugsnotdrugs19
10-12-2020, 11:24 AM

That gives me the utmost confidence.

MahomesMagic
10-12-2020, 11:30 AM

Prior to this game Matthieu, Thornhill, and Ward were balling out. Marshall is a moron.

mkp785
10-12-2020, 11:32 AM

This. If anything this should be a galvanizing moment for the team. They might not have been as focused on Buffalo if they beat the Convicts yesterday. The Bills and the Ravens are looking like the biggest rivals to our AFC crown. We blew the doors off one on Monday night and this should get everyone ready to hopefully blow the doors off the other next Monday night.

TEX
10-12-2020, 11:41 AM

Also were #32 against the run. Yet they had no issues yesterday. The KC OL got whipped.

htismaqe
10-12-2020, 11:41 AM
This. If anything this should be a galvanizing moment for the team. They might not have been as focused on Buffalo if they beat the Convicts yesterday. The Bills and the Ravens are looking like the biggest rivals to our AFC crown. We blew the doors off one on Monday night and this should get everyone ready to hopefully blow the doors off the other next Monday night.

Technically next Monday afternoon. ;)

DRM08
10-12-2020, 11:50 AM

It should provide plenty of motivation for them heading into the Buffalo game. But we'll see if they can get their act together. If not, it's gonna be a pretty ugly loss. Buffalo is better on both sides of the ball than the Raiders.

RunKC
10-12-2020, 11:54 AM
Not sure why anyone would panic at this point. We played our worst game in almost a calendar year. I don’t think the team played this poorly since the Texans home game last season.

Raiders played one of their best games and barely beat us by 8 when we were playing awful.

htismaqe
10-12-2020, 12:04 PM
Not sure why anyone would panic at this point. We played our worst game in almost a calendar year. I don’t think the team played this poorly since the Texans home game last season.

Raiders played one of their best games and barely beat us by 8 when we were playing awful.

If Pat hadn't thrown that late INT that got returned into the red zone, it wouldn't have even been 8.

This game was winnable despite the lackluster plays on both sides of the ball.

mkp785
10-12-2020, 12:05 PM
It should provide plenty of motivation for them heading into the Buffalo game. But we'll see if they can get their act together. If not, it's gonna be a pretty ugly loss. Buffalo is better on both sides of the ball than the Raiders.

True. What I hope we all witnessed was the team not being focused after having not lost since Nov and getting a little too full of themselves. That, along with some bad calls and really great (lucky) plays by Ruggs/Renfrow allowed them to stay in the game.

I think that the Titans will beat Buffalo trmw but either way our game sets up as a huge one. Josh Allen is due to come back to Earth soon after all of the numbers he's put up so far.

We're still better on offense and much like Lamar seems to do, I think Allen might shit himself once the big games come. He wasn't the only reason they lost that playoff game last year, but he sure didn't help matters.

mkp785
10-12-2020, 12:06 PM
Technically next Monday afternoon. ;)

Football comes on way too early out west lol.

htismaqe
10-12-2020, 12:06 PM
Football comes on way too early out west lol.

The game is at 5pm eastern. It will be on a 2pm out west. :D

htismaqe
10-12-2020, 12:08 PM
True. What I hope we all witnessed was the team not being focused after having not lost since Nov and getting a little too full of themselves. That, along with some bad calls and really great (lucky) plays by Ruggs/Renfrow allowed them to stay in the game.

I think that the Titans will beat Buffalo trmw but either way our game sets up as a huge one. Josh Allen is due to come back to Earth soon after all of the numbers he's put up so far.

We're still better on offense and much like Lamar seems to do, I think Allen might shit himself once the big games come. He wasn't the only reason they lost that playoff game last year, but he sure didn't help matters.

Good post.

TEX
10-12-2020, 12:09 PM
If Pat hadn't thrown that late INT that got returned into the red zone, it wouldn't have even been 8.

This game was winnable despite the lackluster plays on both sides of the ball.

Yep. Wish we could have gotten pressure on Carr late in the game so he could have done the same.

mkp785
10-12-2020, 12:19 PM

Tell me about it. I lived in Hawaii for awhile. Games came on at 7am on Sundays and 230 for MNF. Could never get used to it. People would flood the bars that early in the morning too :)

DaneMcCloud
10-12-2020, 12:29 PM

It's going to be very strange to watch a Chiefs game at 2pm next Monday.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
10-12-2020, 12:38 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Per one of my contacts. The Raiders requested the police escort allow them to “take a victory lap” around Arrowhead Stadium in the team buses before they headed up to the airport.</p>&mdash; Nick Jacobs (@Jacobs71) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jacobs71/status/1315716482341523457?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 12, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

htismaqe
10-12-2020, 12:44 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Per one of my contacts. The Raiders requested the police escort allow them to “take a victory lap” around Arrowhead Stadium in the team buses before they headed up to the airport.</p>&mdash; Nick Jacobs (@Jacobs71) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jacobs71/status/1315716482341523457?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 12, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Enjoy your Super Bowl, Faid.

pugsnotdrugs19
10-12-2020, 01:20 PM

LMAO

Tampa Bay is going to buttfuck those losers.

pugsnotdrugs19
10-12-2020, 01:24 PM
There’s GIFs circulating on twitter and it seems to make one thing clear. The OL and Mahomes aren’t on the same page with the drops right now.

One snap Mahomes is drifting where he shouldn’t, the next he is but someone gets whooped at guard or center, etc. There seems to be a reciprocal lack of trust there.

But I trust no one more to fix this than Mahomes, who actually fixed the same issue last year.

I want to reiterate, I’m glad to have these issues now rather than December. I think about all those New England teams that seemed to have fatal flaws in September or October, only to be miraculously fixed by the playoffs. I trust that will be the story of the Chiefs here too. Their best ball is yet to come.

tredadda
10-12-2020, 01:27 PM

Not really. This team lost what 4 out of 6 last year. I like how that season ended.

htismaqe
10-12-2020, 01:37 PM
Not really. This team lost what 4 out of 6 last year. I like how that season ended.

As of week 10 last year, the Chiefs and Raiders were both 6-4.

pugsnotdrugs19
10-12-2020, 01:58 PM
Watched Andy’s presser from today.

I just... kinda feel bad for the Bills. Because they’re going to pay for what happened yesterday to the Chiefs. You could see it in Andy’s eyes, he’s going to be hanging onions next week.

Statement game incoming.

FAX
10-12-2020, 02:05 PM
Screw the glass. Screw the quanity. Screw the relative volume.

The Faid should never be allowed to put up 40 points in Arrowhead.

Not yesterday. Not next year. Not ever.

FAX

DRM08
10-12-2020, 02:18 PM
Watched Andy’s presser from today.

I just... kinda feel bad for the Bills. Because they’re going to pay for what happened yesterday to the Chiefs. You could see it in Andy’s eyes, he’s going to be hanging onions next week.

Statement game incoming.

Maybe they will bounce back strong, or maybe they are in a funk. It happens from time to time. If they play like they did against the Raiders, Buffalo might win by 20.

pugsnotdrugs19
10-12-2020, 02:21 PM
Maybe they will bounce back strong, or maybe they are in a funk. It happens from time to time. If they play like they did against the Raiders, Buffalo might win by 20.

That won’t happen. They might lose, but it’s not going to be by much.

DaneMcCloud
10-12-2020, 02:40 PM

Has Andy Reid ever lost to one of his former coaches?

Off the top of my head, I don't think he's lost to Harbaugh, Nagy, Pederson, Rivera, Chilly, Spagnuolo, Todd Bowles or Pat Shurmer.

pugsnotdrugs19
10-12-2020, 02:42 PM
Has Andy Reid ever lost to one of his former coaches?

McDermott actually got him in 2017 during that horrible funk the offense went into during November. I’m not sure beyond that.

DaneMcCloud
10-12-2020, 02:43 PM
McDermott actually got him in 2017 during that horrible funk the offense went into during November. I’m not sure beyond that.

I'd forgotten all about that loss, probably because the entire 2017 regular season and post season were blah and not at all memorable.

tredadda
10-12-2020, 03:14 PM

Not only that but Mahomes has yet to lose by double digits.

KC Hawks
10-12-2020, 03:25 PM
I'd forgotten all about that loss, probably because the entire 2017 regular season and post season were blah and not at all memorable.

Yeah, they also lost to Bowles and the Jets that year. The infamous "Marcus-Peters-with-no-socks" game.

DaneMcCloud
10-12-2020, 03:28 PM
Yeah, they also lost to Bowles and the Jets that year. The infamous "Marcus-Peters-with-no-socks" game.

I think I've blacked out my memory of 2017 Chiefs football because literally, all I can remember is Marcus Mariota throwing a TD to himself in the playoff loss.

KC Hawks
10-12-2020, 03:32 PM
I think I've blacked out my memory of 2017 Chiefs football because literally, all I can remember is Marcus Mariota throwing a TD to himself in the playoff loss.

Only thing worth remembering about that season was Mahomes first start. Oh, and I guess fisting the Patriots in the opening game of the season.

Wallcrawler
10-12-2020, 03:52 PM
Not only that but Mahomes has yet to lose by double digits.

Mahomes in his 9 career losses the avg ppg is 31.

Defense shows up at all, the kid is going to win.

IMO, he owns 2 losses of the 9. The 13 point stinker against the Colts, and the 5 turnover, 2 for 6 Rams game.

Point totals in his losses...

1. 40

2. 51

3. 28

4. 31

5. 31

6. 24

7. 13

8. 32

9. 32

As said, defense shows up, doesnt allow 30, hes gonna win the game.

pugsnotdrugs19
10-12-2020, 05:33 PM
I listened to Time’s Ours pod, and Nate Taylor (who had a unique eye in the sky perspective from the press box yesterday) mentioned that the Chiefs had Hill and Hardman continually running deep routes when it made no sense against dense deep zone coverage yesterday. They didn’t show patience with their calls.

He said that if they’ll just adjust to more quick to intermediate routes in that situation, it will go a long way.

So my thought is, we need a game like last year against Chicago where Mahomes just finds the open man underneath for 5+ over and over if they’re going to give that. Help the OL, help everybody. Let defenses know that they can and will win that way if it is what the defense is going to give for free.

Chiefshrink
10-12-2020, 05:52 PM
Let's not underestimate the significant lack of a full stadium and how it effects both teams. It definitely helps the opposition psychologically with far less stress with no crowd and they don't have to use the silent count. The home team really has to focus even harder especially when playing inferior teams(Raiders) and it is easy to look past those teams and what happened yesterday. These guys probably fight the feeling of these empty stadium games as though they are training camp scrimmages IMHO. Maybe not. But when you have been conditioned psychologically and emotionally with deafening accolades from your fan base and then it is all of a sudden gone..........Just saying.

FloridaMan88
10-12-2020, 06:14 PM
I listened to Time’s Ours pod, and Nate Taylor (who had a unique eye in the sky perspective from the press box yesterday) mentioned that the Chiefs had Hill and Hardman continually running deep routes when it made no sense against dense deep zone coverage yesterday. They didn’t show patience with their calls.

He said that if they’ll just adjust to more quick to intermediate routes in that situation, it will go a long way.

So my thought is, we need a game like last year against Chicago where Mahomes just finds the open man underneath for 5+ over and over if they’re going to give that. Help the OL, help everybody. Let defenses know that they can and will win that way if it is what the defense is going to give for free.

Also like they did in the opening week Houston game, where they had those sustained 10+ drives with the Texans taking away the deep passing plays.

With the opposing defense dropping 7/8 into coverage, it’s hard to try to rely on Mahomes to continuously scramble around and try to make a highlight-reel deep pass on a continuous basis.

As great as Mahomes is, that is putting strain on an already suspect offensive line to hold up with pass protection and not get holding penalties.

DRM08
10-12-2020, 06:16 PM

That's what I want to see, more of those quick hitter routes instead of the slower-developing stuff. Guess we will see what Andy does moving forward.

pugsnotdrugs19
10-12-2020, 06:17 PM
Also like they did in the opening week Houston game, where they had those sustained 10+ drives with the Texans taking away the deep passing plays.

With the opposing defense dropping 7/8 into coverage, it’s hard to try to rely on Mahomes to continuously scramble around and try to make a highlight-reel deep pass on a continuous basis.

As great as Mahomes is, that is putting strain on an already suspect offensive line to hold up with pass protection and not get holding penalties.

And how about a more concerted effort to use CEH as a receiver out of the backfield? Not just the swing routes or screens, but some angle routes, some simple choice routes. Anything to avoid the dreaded 3rd & 10+ (which Mahomes makes work way more than should be possible).

You nailed it though, they did it against Houston. I almost think Mahomes and Andy got tired of being patient the week against LAC, then crushed it deep against Baltimore’s blitz, and they again just didn’t feel like they had to be patient. But they do.

Especially if the offensive line is going to play like that. But I think we will see them play much better too if the offensive attack is more patient.

DRM08
10-12-2020, 06:20 PM
And how about a more concerted effort to use CEH as a receiver out of the backfield? Not just the swing routes or screens, but some angle routes, some simple choice routes.

You nailed it though, they did it against Houston. I almost think Mahomes and Andy got tired of being patient the week against LAC, then crushed it deep against Baltimore’s blitz, and they again just didn’t feel like they had to be patient. But they do.

Especially if the offensive line is going to play like that. But I think we will see them play much better too if the offensive attack is more patient.

I can't help but wonder if Andy does not respect the Raiders' pass rush or secondary one iota, and it bit him in the butt this time. Granted, 3 calls by the refs stole 18 points from KC or they have 50 points on the board in that game. Still I would like to see way more of the quick dink & dunk stuff when these teams decide to drop 8 guys into coverage.

pugsnotdrugs19
10-12-2020, 06:23 PM
I can't help but wonder if Andy does not respect the Raiders' pass rush or secondary one iota, and it bit him in the butt this time. Granted, 3 calls by the refs stole 18 points from KC or they have 50 points on the board in that game. Still I would like to see way more of the quick dink & dunk stuff when these teams decide to drop 8 guys into coverage.

No question. I didn’t respect it either pregame, I still don’t that much. Think it just spoke to how poor the OL played. Also the injuries to Osemele and Schwartz couldn’t have helped.

But that’s where you still expect a coach like Reid to adjust mid game.

No matter, I feel confident that solutions exist and that they will be found. Too much talent and smarts within the building not to.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
10-12-2020, 07:11 PM
Marcellus Wiley now has said that he’s picking the Raiders to win the division