PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Mahomes: The Raiders Loss Was a Wakeup Call

Tribal Warfare
10-13-2020, 10:45 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">In a new interview, <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Chiefs</a> quarterback Patrick Mahomes said the loss to the Raiders on Sunday could end up being a good thing (<a href="https://twitter.com/Arrowheadphones?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@Arrowheadphones</a>): <a href="https://t.co/bNard0sBwx">https://t.co/bNard0sBwx</a></p>&mdash; Arrowhead Pride (@ArrowheadPride) <a href="https://twitter.com/ArrowheadPride/status/1316044246999277568?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 13, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Bowser
10-13-2020, 10:50 AM
Sounds like his mind is right over it. Wouldn't have expected it any other way.

KChiefs1
10-13-2020, 10:56 AM
I wish this team didn't need wakeup calls.

Bowser
10-13-2020, 10:59 AM

I'd rather them have a wakeup call now than end up 18-1 at the end of the season, with the "1" being the last game of the year.

Red Dawg
10-13-2020, 10:59 AM
He's damn right. They better wake the hell up.

CarlosCarson27
10-13-2020, 11:28 AM
Wake up call= wash, rinse, repeat, cliche article

Rasputin
10-13-2020, 11:29 AM
Make no mistake. It's not revenge he's after

IT"S A RECKONIN'

SuperBowl4
10-13-2020, 11:33 AM
Never go scoreless in a third quarter ever again!

Hammock Parties
10-13-2020, 11:37 AM
Patrick is looking forward to the epic showdown in Vegas.

DRM08
10-13-2020, 11:38 AM
They have a chance for a major bounce-back game against Buffalo. We shall see if they can get the job done.

Hammock Parties
10-13-2020, 11:41 AM
We all know how Patrick responds to setbacks.

We are about to see this Patrick for the rest of the season:

https://i.imgur.com/BvU9fHe.gif

https://i.imgur.com/3PjlePP.gif

https://i.imgur.com/8ZS71cc.gif

https://i.imgur.com/x7Qehqv.gif

Chicago game Patrick is the best version of Patrick.

Chicago game Patrick knows where to go with the football every time when his back foot hits.

Chicago game Patrick is flawless.

LoneWolf
10-13-2020, 11:43 AM
Make no mistake. It's not revenge he's after

IT"S A RECKONIN'

I think I saw him down by the creek walkin' on water.

JakeF
10-13-2020, 11:44 AM
Exactly

JakeF
10-13-2020, 11:45 AM
Patrick is looking forward to the epic showdown in Vegas.You insisted we wouldn't lose Sunday as well.

Baby Lee
10-13-2020, 11:54 AM
Patrick I'm not worried about in the least.

Even with his frustrations and misfires against the Raiders, he still did more amazing things IN THAT SAME GAME than most professional teams have any right to expect.

Question is, will his power of will make sub-par performers better than they are? Will it make O-linemen fatter, stronger, and smarter than they have been to this point? etc.

PHOG
10-13-2020, 11:55 AM
Yep, the Faders loss was a wake up call.....to how bad the IOL is. :banghead:

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
10-13-2020, 11:58 AM
Pat has to step up in the pocket. He is dropping back way too much

FloridaMan88
10-13-2020, 12:03 PM
Just replicate the strategy from the Houston game when they were taking away the deep passing game and the Chiefs will be fine.

RunKC
10-13-2020, 12:06 PM

The undefeated Dolphins are the only team in NFL history that didn’t have a wake up call at some point in their season.

We just won 13 in a row and now that we drop a game people act like it’s the Titanic

FloridaMan88
10-13-2020, 12:07 PM
The undefeated Dolphins are the only team in NFL history that didn’t have a wake up call at some point in their season.

We just won 13 in a row and now that we drop a game people act like it’s the Titanic

Better now to have the "wake up call" than in the postseason/Super Bowl like the Faketriots did during the year of their undefeated regular season.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
10-13-2020, 12:08 PM
He wants pancakes now

Hammock Parties
10-13-2020, 12:08 PM
You insisted we wouldn't lose Sunday as well.

Yeah, it's called being a fucking fan. Kiss my ass.

Tribal Warfare
10-13-2020, 12:11 PM
He wants pancakes now

Patrick to OL corps " Bro what's the deal"

Graystoke
10-13-2020, 12:13 PM
Patrick I'm not worried about in the least.

Even with his frustrations and misfires against the Raiders, he still did more amazing things IN THAT SAME GAME than most professional teams have any right to expect.

Question is, will his power of will make sub-par performers better than they are? Will it make O-linemen fatter, stronger, and smarter than they have been to this point? etc.

My love for Patrick makes me chubby.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
10-13-2020, 12:21 PM
We dropping 50 on the Bills

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Man i LOVE football! I can’t wait to get back out there.!</p>&mdash; Patrick Mahomes II (@PatrickMahomes) <a href="https://twitter.com/PatrickMahomes/status/1316072784423006211?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 13, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Marcellus
10-13-2020, 12:21 PM

2 teams in the history of the NFL have navigated a perfect regular season and one of them lost in the SB so...… that makes it a 44:1 ratio for championship teams that needed a wake up call at some point.

Hammock Parties
10-13-2020, 12:24 PM
Pat is horny. He saw that Bills film.

Rasputin
10-13-2020, 12:31 PM
Pat has to step up in the pocket. He is dropping back way too much

Although i get what you are saying but why not let Patrick be Patrick?

Do we have time to run WASP?

He drifts back to give himself more time and see the entire field I just want Patrick to be Showtime do what he is best at and that's making plays the way he does. So it's not about stepping up in the pocket for him but I'd rather letting him play his game.

Nobody was critical about him drifting back in the pocket running the WASP so I'm not getting changing him ?

gblowfish
10-13-2020, 12:37 PM
Nobody's perfect. They looked bad against Houston and Indy, both at home, last year.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
10-13-2020, 12:38 PM

He drifts back to give himself more time and see the entire field I just want Patrick to be Showtime do what he is best at and that's making plays the way he does. So it's not about stepping up in the pocket for him but I'd rather letting him play his game.

Nobody was critical about him drifting back in the pocket running the WASP so I'm not getting changing him ?

That’s because he has too because the play was a long developing play. There are plenty of times that Pat drops back like 10-12 yards when it’s only a 10-15 yard throw. He needs to learn to trust himself and step up. He was doing it his first year and towards last year to now it’s becoming a problem

smithandrew051
10-13-2020, 12:40 PM
The overreactions about this roster are really something.

I’m curious what positions we don’t fucking suck at right now. Because apparently, we have an elite QB with zero talent around him on either side of the ball.

Even our best position groups are being questioned because of 1 fucking game.

I thought winning a Super Bowl might allow everyone to trust the process a bit. If there is an issue that can’t be corrected, do we really thing Veach and Reid either don’t know or don’t care?

It’s almost as if winning a Super Bowl has made people think that ANY flaw or or loss is unacceptable.

Andy pulled a 9-7 season out of an injury-riddled shit roster. He’ll be fine with this one. 12 wins is the floor with Reid/Mahomes.

I would love for someone to point me to the team in the AFC who can match QB play with a more talented supporting cast on both sides of the ball.

ModSocks
10-13-2020, 12:42 PM
This is a new experience for us Chiefs fans. People have waited nearly a year to finally say some shit. Now that the Chiefs have finally lost one fucking game all these haters finally get their moment to be haters.

My friends and family have lined up to say something to me (after a year of me being humble and not shit talking these loser Raider and Charger fans) and pundits all of a sudden want to declare teh Browns a better team.

LMAO

Ah yes, the haters are out in full force.

comochiefsfan
10-13-2020, 12:43 PM
I want to believe that.

But why wasn't barely squeaking by the Chargers a wake up call?

Why wasn't playing like ass against a Cam-less Patriots a wake up call?

I'm beginning to think this team just has some fundamental issues that aren't going away anytime soon.

Hammock Parties
10-13-2020, 12:44 PM
I'm beginning to think this team just has some fundamental issues that aren't going away anytime soon.

It's 2020 'Rona Football.

Every team has issues.

Marcellus
10-13-2020, 12:45 PM
This is a new experience for us Chiefs fans. People have waited nearly a year to finally say some shit. Now that the Chiefs have finally lost one ****ing game all these haters finally get their moment to be haters.

My friends and family have lined up to say something to me (after a year of me being humble and not shit talking these loser Raider and Charger fans) and pundits all of a sudden want to declare teh Browns a better team.

LMAO

Its not so bad though because now they cant say the Chiefs will never win it all, and deep down they know the Chiefs will be contenders for a very long time.

staylor26
10-13-2020, 12:45 PM
I want to believe that.

Obviously because we still won those games you buttfucking moron.

comochiefsfan
10-13-2020, 12:46 PM
Obviously because we still won those games you butt****ing moron.

So you think the team just thought everything was fine after those games?

Why do they have to lose to realize they need to play better?

ModSocks
10-13-2020, 12:47 PM

You're reading way too damn much into a cliche answer.

staylor26
10-13-2020, 12:48 PM

If you can’t see the difference, maybe you’re fucking retarded.

smithandrew051
10-13-2020, 12:49 PM

Maybe I’m forgetting, but didn’t we respond to squeaking by the Chargers by destroying the Ravens?

And the win vs the Patriots was a cruise control 16 point win. I think everyone knew that game was never in danger.

Bl00dyBizkitz
10-13-2020, 12:50 PM

Every team gets complacent at some point. Especially after the Super Bowl Honeymoon phase wears off.

Marcellus
10-13-2020, 12:51 PM
It had been 13 games since they lost, the sting of defeat was a distant memory, they got stung and now remember what it feels like.

Rasputin
10-13-2020, 12:54 PM
This is a new experience for us Chiefs fans. People have waited nearly a year to finally say some shit. Now that the Chiefs have finally lost one fucking game all these haters finally get their moment to be haters.

LMAO

Yeah my brother never congratulated me for our Super Bowl win but first text I get him was dur How bout those Raiders? I'm like shut the fuck up you poser that doesn't even know two players names of the Raiders but just wants to rub it in that the Raiders beat the Chiefs. I'm more bitter about that than I am a true Raider fan coming here gloating.

Megatron96
10-13-2020, 12:55 PM

But there were people criticizing Patrick's 'drifting' out of the back of the pocket issues last season. Beginning, I think, with Peyton Manning in one of his "Details" segments on Mahomes. And then Patrick himself said that he knew he was leaving the pocket too early and too often and that he needed to work on it. Can't remember after which game that was, but I'm pretty sure it was after one of our losses. I know in the subsequent game he seemed to have cleaned that up, and he had a very efficient day.

The WASP play is a bad example I think, because I'm fairly certain he was supposed to drift back in that play. It was drawn up that way, IMO. So his OL expected him to drift back like that.

but on plays that aren't designed with that in mind, the tackles are expected to block as if Patrick was only going to drop to about 8-10 yards. When he drops back beyond that, it puts them in a tough spot.

Point being, there are plays where Patrick is supposed to take a deep drop, and those where he isn't. Patrick has a tendency to sometimes drop too deep too often, which he knows about, and he needs to limit how much he does that to be the best version of himself.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
10-13-2020, 12:56 PM

I’m curious what positions we don’t ****ing suck at right now. Because apparently, we have an elite QB with zero talent around him on either side of the ball.

Even our best position groups are being questioned because of 1 ****ing game.

I thought winning a Super Bowl might allow everyone to trust the process a bit. If there is an issue that can’t be corrected, do we really thing Veach and Reid either don’t know or don’t care?

It’s almost as if winning a Super Bowl has made people think that ANY flaw or or loss is unacceptable.

Andy pulled a 9-7 season out of an injury-riddled shit roster. He’ll be fine with this one. 12 wins is the floor with Reid/Mahomes.

I would love for someone to point me to the team in the AFC who can match QB play with a more talented supporting cast on both sides of the ball.

I mean Marcellus Wiley has the Raiders winning the division now

BigRedChief
10-13-2020, 12:56 PM
Wake up call= wash, rinse, repeat, cliche articleDude, Mahomes has already mastered the ability to talk to the press for 15-30 minutes and not say anything controversial. Its a needed skill. No need bash him for spouting cliches.

UChieffyBugger
10-13-2020, 12:57 PM
Winning covers up a thousand sins. Last year when we lost to the Titans I remember hearing reportors talk about the vibe in the locker room after the game. Damien Williams was sat on his own looking into thin air as tears rolled down his cheeks. Butker and the field goal unit with their heads down and the whole room was sombre. I truly believe that loss played a huge role in our championship run...the hurt the guys felt that day unlocked a desire that they took all the way to the superbowl. We'll see how they react to this latest defeat next Monday. I think we see the team we saw in Baltimore and if we do then someones gonna be in for a long night.

Bearcat
10-13-2020, 01:10 PM
It's like some people have never watched sports before.... or heard/read quotes from an athlete.

ptlyon
10-13-2020, 01:16 PM
It's like some people have never watched sports before.... or heard/read quotes from an athlete.

They have memories as short as their peckers

Tribal Warfare
10-13-2020, 01:18 PM
They have memories as short as their peckers

Or it's Mahomes news and since the BB is focused on the Chiefs, thus I decided to post it

ptlyon
10-13-2020, 01:27 PM
Or it's Mahomes news and since the BB is focused on the Chiefs, thus I decided to post it

Not you posting the story, check out some of the despair in this thread. JFC it's one game. Didn't realize we went undefeated last year...

Pants
10-13-2020, 01:36 PM
I want to believe that.

I'm beginning to think you're fundamentally not very grounded in reality.

Even the worst NFL team still fields an NFL roster. It's fucking hard to win NFL games. Not all games are going to be wins and not all wins are going to be pretty. It's as simple as that.

The Chiefs just won the Super Bowl and are currently 4-1.

If that's having fundamental issues, I will take fundamental issues every goddamn year.

htismaqe
10-13-2020, 01:40 PM

Even the worst NFL team still fields an NFL roster. It's fucking hard to win NFL games. Not all games are going to be wins and not all wins are going to be pretty. It's as simple as that.

If that's having fundamental issues, I will take fundamental issues every goddamn year.

Yep.

htismaqe
10-13-2020, 01:42 PM

I’m curious what positions we don’t fucking suck at right now. Because apparently, we have an elite QB with zero talent around him on either side of the ball.

Even our best position groups are being questioned because of 1 fucking game.

:bravo:

Pants
10-13-2020, 01:44 PM
Pat is horny. He saw that Bills film.

Andy is probably installing new packages designed to beat the "rush 3 and drop 8" defense too. I'm sure Patrick is licking his chops.

Mr. Wizard
10-13-2020, 01:50 PM
Yep is a wake up to every team we play this year from now on that we have a terrible oline and they can tee off on Patrick and beat us. If he doesn’t have time to complete intermediate and long passes then we are beatable. Our special teams are no longer special and we can’t pass rush because our linebackers are so bad the dline has to be overly concerned with the run game. If we don’t draft oline and linebackers we done down the road. Will be interesting to see how many trick plays Andy has to run against the bills to try and hide our oline play.

htismaqe
10-13-2020, 01:52 PM
ROFL

St. Patty's Fire
10-13-2020, 01:53 PM

LMAO

This is why I have zero qualms about being obnoxious about how great the Chiefs are to anyone who will listen

Megatron96
Yep is a wake up to every team we play this year from now on that we have a terrible oline and they can tee off on Patrick and beat us. If he doesn’t have time to complete intermediate and long passes then we are beatable. Our special teams are no longer special and we can’t pass rush because our linebackers are so bad the dline has to be overly concerned with the run game. If we don’t draft oline and linebackers we done down the road. Will be interesting to see how many trick plays Andy has to run against the bills to try and hide our oline play.

:LOL:

ModSocks

OH NO WE SUCK AGAIN!

St. Patty's Fire
10-13-2020, 01:54 PM

Except the Jets of course

Tribal Warfare
10-13-2020, 02:13 PM
This is why I have zero qualms about being obnoxious about how great the Chiefs are to anyone who will listen

The opposition's fans about the Chiefs and us:

You're deluded if you believe the Chiefs can make the SB this season.

Me: Because Mahomes Bro

Then the rivals get triggered: Fuck You, Mahomes is overrated

I troll the shit out of them because they know Patrick is a HOF transcendent talent but don't want to admit it

Eureka
10-13-2020, 02:13 PM
No doubt Mahomes is one of the most talented QB's in the game. But teams are starting to figure him and the Chiefs out or at least what can be done to limit him somewhat.

Teams are going to bring their A game to the Chiefs every week. It's a big compliment really. It's like the GSW the past few years when every team would go all out on them.

Bill B gave a blueprint on how to play the Chiefs offense which the Raiders copied in the second half. The Raiders in the second half rushed 3 and had a DE spy while dropping 7 into coverage. Mahomes does his magic when blitzed and teams will stop doing that to often. Mahomes was 3/3 for 96 yards when blitzed yesterday.

Teams will have to score a lot if they want to beat the Chiefs. Also, take more chances such as the Raiders did yesterday on 4th & 1 at the end of the game. Don't give Mahomes a chance to comeback.

The Chiefs are still the team to beat in the AFC. Even though they lost the other day they are still the favorites to make it to the SB from the AFC.

TEX
10-13-2020, 02:25 PM
No doubt Mahomes is one of the most talented QB's in the game. But teams are starting to figure him and the Chiefs out or at least what can be done to limit him somewhat.

Teams are going to bring their A game to the Chiefs every week. It's a big compliment really. It's like the GSW the past few years when every team would go all out on them.

Bill B gave a blueprint on how to play the Chiefs offense which the Raiders copied in the second half. The Raiders in the second half rushed 3 and had a DE spy while dropping 7 into coverage. Mahomes does his magic when blitzed and teams will stop doing that to often. Mahomes was 3/3 for 96 yards when blitzed yesterday.

Teams will have to score a lot if they want to beat the Chiefs. Also, take more chances such as the Raiders did yesterday on 4th & 1 at the end of the game. Don't give Mahomes a chance to comeback.

The Chiefs are still the team to beat in the AFC. Even though they lost the other day they are still the favorites to make it to the SB from the AFC.

Nobody is figuring anything out to the extent that you're suggesting... Its pretty simple to see what's going on. The KC OL is not getting it done in pass protection and run blocking. The Chiefs should be running teams into submission when they drop 7 - 8 back into coverage to slow down the passing game. They're not. And the OL should be able to protect #15 when the defense is only sending 3 or 4. They're not. If the Chiefs execute better, they'll roll teams. They're 4 - 1, its not like they're 1 - 4.

htismaqe
10-13-2020, 02:28 PM
Nobody is figuring anything out to the extent that you're suggesting. Dont over think things. The KC OL is not getting it done in pass protection and run blocking. The Chiefs should be running teams into submission when they drop 7 - 8 back into coverage to slow down the passing game. They're not. And the OL should be able to protect 15 when the defense is only sending 3 or 4. They're having issues there. If the Chiefs execute better, they'll roll teams.

Yep.

htismaqe
10-13-2020, 02:29 PM
OH NO WE SUCK AGAIN!

DRAFT MOAR FATTIES!

Tribal Warfare
10-13-2020, 02:31 PM
Nobody is figuring anything out to the extent that you're suggesting. Dont over think things. The KC OL is not getting it done. The Chiefs should be running teams into submission when they drop 7 - 8 back into coverage to slow down the passing game. They're not. If the Chiefs execute better, they'll roll teams.

Yep, you run the ball to defeat 8 man coverage, and it's an indictment on the OL for piss-poor play

htismaqe
10-13-2020, 02:32 PM
Yep, you run the ball to defeat 8 man coverage, and it's an indictment on the OL for piss-poor play

Yep.

TEX
10-13-2020, 02:34 PM

You're right about the LB's. They're shit.

Hammock Parties
10-13-2020, 02:39 PM
Chiefs will pull out one of those old fashioned Andy Reid road beatdowns.

Chiefs by at least 17

KChiefs1
10-13-2020, 02:54 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YrxCY4cguQA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mr. Wizard
10-13-2020, 02:56 PM

Chiefs by at least 17

Oh my. Can we bet on that? Please???

BigRedChief
10-13-2020, 02:58 PM

Chiefs by at least 17

Doesn’t he have a great record with one extra day to prepare?

siberian khatru
10-13-2020, 03:01 PM
Patrick is looking forward to the epic showdown in Vegas.

Chiefs gonna destroy them there.

Bearcat
10-13-2020, 03:16 PM

I wasn't commenting on your post or the article itself, but everyone questioning what Mahomes said or 'needing to wake up in the first place', etc.... just stupid backseat narratives.

And that's not to ignore the issues, but they also aren't just another 9-10 win Chiefs team of the past, either. They're on a different plane now, even if there is still a fairly fine line between winning and losing, and even if they still play like shit every once in a while and/or a team plays out of their mind or they just get beat sometimes.

As much as everyone loves to think the Chiefs are completely in control (or else it's the damn refs! :cuss: ), random shit does happen, too.

ThaVirus
10-13-2020, 03:17 PM

Don’t believe the hype. They said the same thing last year after a “rough” showing @ DET and dropping a couple to HOU and IND due to poor offensive showings.

The same thing is happening now, just the circumstances have changed. Last year it was injuries, this year it’s the OL’s subpar performance.

No one’s figured us out- we’re just playing like shit.

smithandrew051
10-13-2020, 03:25 PM
Why is our elite passing QB the only one who teams are constantly “figuring out”?

Maybe I’m misremembering, but I can’t recall teams “figuring out” Elway, Manning, Brady, etc.

Pants
10-13-2020, 03:34 PM
Why is our elite passing QB the only one who teams are constantly “figuring out”?

Maybe I’m misremembering, but I can’t recall teams “figuring out” Elway, Manning, Brady, etc.

Neither Brady nor Manning had the meteoric rises Mahomes did.

He was so dominant right off the bat, the narrative instantly turned to "wait till the teams have enough tape on him/wait till the NFL defenses figure him out."

There's nothing to figure out. He has a cannon attached to him, he is very competitive and extremely intelligent. His football IQ is going to keep climbing too.

kayjay
10-13-2020, 03:39 PM
This defense is a disgrace.were is the secondary.

htismaqe
10-13-2020, 03:40 PM
Neither Brady nor Manning had the meteoric rises Mahomes did.

He was so dominant right off the bat, the narrative instantly turned to "wait till the teams have enough tape on him/wait till the NFL defenses figure him out."

There's nothing to figure out. He has a cannon attached to him, he is very competitive and extremely intelligent. His football IQ is going to keep climbing too.

Yep.

keg in kc
10-13-2020, 03:58 PM
They'll need periodic wakeup calls as long as Reid is coach. It's just the downside of having a player's coach (which is fine, I'd rather have a coach in the Reid/Vermeil vein than short sleeves Gunther or Asshole Haley...). EB is supposed to be the Bad Dad, but it looks like it hasn't been enough.

keg in kc
10-13-2020, 04:04 PM
If 1500 yards, 13-1 TD/INT (+2 rushing TD) and a 4-1 record are what a 'figured-out' Patrick Mahomes looks like, then gods help the rest of the NFL.

Megatron96
10-13-2020, 04:29 PM

Always. Every great QB has had the league's DC's try to figure them out. And there's always been a weakness to exploit. Until Mahomes.

With Manning teams had to disguise every play. It's part of the reason manning started doing the 2 minute drill/no huddle thing early in games. And why he did some much stuff pre-snap, trying to throw the defenses off.

Brady was another QB that defenses spent a lot of time trying to hide things from.

Marino is the first QB I can remember where it was a league-wide unwritten rule: don't blitz him.

And so on.

With Mahomes, defenses have tried disguising coverages, delayed/disguised blitzing, only rushing 4, only rushing 3, spies, and so on, until going into the playoffs when teams decided that putting hits on him might stop him.

Now two teams have been able to slow Mahomes and Andy down some by rushing 3-4, using a DL to spy, and putting 7-8 in coverage using a mix of man and zone. But you need a top-tier defense to pull it off.

crispystl
10-13-2020, 04:53 PM
I mean Marcellus Wiley has the Raiders winning the division now

I’m sure Nate Burleson and Brandon Marshall do too. Fuck’em

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coochie liquor
10-13-2020, 05:37 PM
Always. Every great QB has had the league's DC's try to figure them out. And there's always been a weakness to exploit. Until Mahomes.

With Manning teams had to disguise every play. It's part of the reason manning started doing the 2 minute drill/no huddle thing early in games. And why he did some much stuff pre-snap, trying to throw the defenses off.

Brady was another QB that defenses spent a lot of time trying to hide things from.

Marino is the first QB I can remember where it was a league-wide unwritten rule: don't blitz him.

And so on.

With Mahomes, defenses have tried disguising coverages, delayed/disguised blitzing, only rushing 4, only rushing 3, spies, and so on, until going into the playoffs when teams decided that putting hits on him might stop him.

Now two teams have been able to slow Mahomes and Andy down some by rushing 3-4, using a DL to spy, and putting 7-8 in coverage using a mix of man and zone. But you need a top-tier defense to pull it off.

I wouldn’t call Faders defense top tier currently.

DRM08
10-13-2020, 06:37 PM

They didn't exactly shut it down though. Refs stole 18 points from the Chiefs, or the Raiders are staring a 50-burger in the face.

htismaqe
10-13-2020, 06:40 PM
If 1500 yards, 13-1 TD/INT (+2 rushing TD) and a 4-1 record are what a 'figured-out' Patrick Mahomes looks like, then gods help the rest of the NFL.

No kidding.

htismaqe
10-13-2020, 06:42 PM
They didn't exactly shut it down though. Refs stole 18 points from the Chiefs, or the Raiders are staring a 50-burger in the face.

I think that was kind of Megatron's point.

The Chiefs came out and put points on the board early. The Raiders didn't exactly shut them down even though they tried.

ThyKingdomCome15
10-13-2020, 06:52 PM
IDK why the focus is on Mahomes. Two TD's got whipped out by penalties and the defense was uncharacteristically atrocious.

Eureka
10-13-2020, 07:57 PM

I wouldn't call them that either. They used a certain D and held the Chiefs offense to 8 points in the second half. Patriots used the same D and held the Chiefs without a TD for almost 3 quarters. Maybe, it's not Mahomes but the O-line. Will the Bills try the same D?

Both teams will be 4-1 coming off a loss.

Megatron96
10-13-2020, 08:45 PM

I wouldn't either. But it remains that they played a very disciplined game. Very unusual for the Raiders, but they did it. And they have a lot of talent in their secondary. It was just that they were always kind of stupid and undisciplined before.

My point was that it takes not only a talented defense, but a disciplined defense, to pull off the Belichick style of D. Last week the Raiders managed to pull it off.

stevieray
10-13-2020, 09:04 PM

if they played "better" they'd be 5-0

We can live with 4-1.

Every game isn't going to be a blowout.

LiveSteam
10-13-2020, 09:07 PM
The defense is what needs to wake back up.

FAX
10-14-2020, 05:16 AM
Sweet Lemon Rationale.

Next time, tell the defense to contact the front desk earlier in the week.

FAX

TEX
10-14-2020, 05:54 AM
I wouldn't either. But it remains that they played a very disciplined game. Very unusual for the Raiders, but they did it. And they have a lot of talent in their secondary. It was just that they were always kind of stupid and undisciplined before.

My point was that it takes not only a talented defense, but a disciplined defense, to pull off the Belichick style of D. Last week the Raiders managed to pull it off.

True, but the Chiefs have had issues with the Chargers, Patriots and now the Raiders D. Its a lot easier to play disciplined on defense when the other team's OL is getting outplayed and the offense is stalling becsuse of it. I think becuse the Chiefs have had issues in 3 out of 5 games, that it says more about their problems on offense than it does about facing stellar or disciplined defenses. You drop 8 in coverage you run the other team out of that set. The Chiefs have not been able to do that, and that's part if the reason why the Raiders were able to stay disciplined on defense. Its more about what the Chiefs are not doing than it is about what other teams are doing to them.

MahomesMagic
10-14-2020, 06:13 AM
They'll need periodic wakeup calls as long as Reid is coach. It's just the downside of having a player's coach (which is fine, I'd rather have a coach in the Reid/Vermeil vein than short sleeves Gunther or Asshole Haley...). EB is supposed to be the Bad Dad, but it looks like it hasn't been enough.

This. Reid just doesn't crack the whip game after game like a Tom Coughlin. It sucks in weeks like this but I would rather have Reid long-term as coaches like Coughlin can also burn a team out in a year or two.

htismaqe
10-14-2020, 06:34 AM
True, but the Chiefs have had issues with the Chargers, Patriots and now the Raiders D. Its a lot easier to play disciplined on defense when the other team's OL is getting outplayed and the offense is stalling becsuse of it. I think becuse the Chiefs have had issues in 3 out of 5 games, that it says more about their problems on offense than it does about facing stellar or disciplined defenses. You drop 8 in coverage you run the other team out of that set. The Chiefs have not been able to do that, and that's part if the reason why the Raiders were able to stay disciplined on defense. Its more about what the Chiefs are not doing than it is about what other teams are doing to them.

The Raiders game wasn't quite the same. The Chiefs scored 21 points in the first 20 minutes and had some points lost on penalties. They were on their way to working it out before the defense crashed and burned and Andy pulled the plug on the running game.

TEX
10-14-2020, 06:36 AM

Meant to give this a :thumb:

ChiTown
10-14-2020, 06:38 AM

No - No one has figured out Mahomes. Unless you are suggesting they are just now figuring out that our OL is Bad, then I completely agree. What did us in Sunday was our inability to stop the Raiders, especially all the big plays. That was an absolutely embarrassing performance by our D.

redfan
10-14-2020, 07:39 AM

* Turns and points smithandrew051 to the Pacific Northwest.

htismaqe
10-14-2020, 07:39 AM
* Turns and points smithandrew051 to the Pacific Northwest.

*Turns and points redhead to the word "AFC". :D

redfan
10-14-2020, 07:43 AM
*Turns and points redhead to the word "AFC". :D

Shit, **** GD it. It's right fucking there, I even quoted
But they're very good.

Chris Meck
10-14-2020, 08:04 AM
It's not really hard to "figure out".

If you can rush 4 and get home, dropping 7 into coverage then you have a shot to slow down the Chiefs.

If you can rush 3 and get home, dropping 8 then it's pretty tough.

The antidote should be that 1)nobody should ever get pressure with 3 rushers and 2)KC should be able to run the ball at will against that.

We can't.

It's not the RB. It's not the QB. It's the offensive line. I too think Schwartz is nursing an injury. LDT sat out. Niang sat out. Osemele is done. Remmers is just replacement level.

I've never liked Reiter. Wylie sucks.

Rankin? probably replacement level at Guard. Dumpster fire at Tackle.

Veach tried to address it, but Covid and injuries have us in a tough spot.

It's gonna have to get better.

WhiteWhale
10-14-2020, 09:20 AM

KC won 13 in a row.

Andy holds, I think, the four longest win streaks in KC history.

What the **** are you talking about?

Shoes
10-14-2020, 11:09 AM
It's not really hard to "figure out".

If you can rush 4 and get home, dropping 7 into coverage then you have a shot to slow down the Chiefs.

If you can rush 3 and get home, dropping 8 then it's pretty tough.

The antidote should be that 1)nobody should ever get pressure with 3 rushers and 2)KC should be able to run the ball at will against that.

We can't.

It's not the RB. It's not the QB. It's the offensive line. I too think Schwartz is nursing an injury. LDT sat out. Niang sat out. Osemele is done. Remmers is just replacement level.

I've never liked Reiter. Wylie sucks.

Rankin? probably replacement level at Guard. Dumpster fire at Tackle.

Veach tried to address it, but Covid and injuries have us in a tough spot.

It's gonna have to get better.
Fair assessment. I will say though I have faith in Veach and or Andy Reid to make the necessary adjustments to counter. I'd rather the Chiefs have this issue in October rather than finding out that we have holes in December.

We'll be fine- every Super Bowl team loses a couple along the way (minus the '72 Dolphins I suppose).

Dunerdr
10-14-2020, 11:22 AM
"Mahomes has been figured out" nah, the running game stalling has allowed defenses to play this bullshit. Theyll get the ship right and CEH will start gashing them for 10-12 a carry and things will get back to normal. Unless the line is historically bad this isnt a forever formula unless you can score enough to be okay with the ball being in CEH's hands and the run game gashing you. But currently the only team able to score like that consistently is the team who has CEH.

Megatron96
10-14-2020, 01:48 PM
True, but the Chiefs have had issues with the Chargers, Patriots and now the Raiders D. Its a lot easier to play disciplined on defense when the other team's OL is getting outplayed and the offense is stalling because of it. I think because the Chiefs have had issues in 3 out of 5 games, that it says more about their problems on offense than it does about facing stellar or disciplined defenses. You drop 8 in coverage you run the other team out of that set. The Chiefs have not been able to do that, and that's part if the reason why the Raiders were able to stay disciplined on defense. Its more about what the Chiefs are not doing than it is about what other teams are doing to them.

The Raiders D was so good, we scored 46 on them. Two TDs were called back, one on a very questionable holding call.

Of the three defenses that "gave us trouble," the Raiders were the least effective.

eDave
10-14-2020, 02:12 PM
They usually are.