PDA

View Full Version : Life Tell me about your bed.

cabletech94
10-23-2020, 11:06 AM
Wife and I have a memory foam style type bed. It has a “lifetime” warranty. It was sold to us as never having to replaced due to durability. Fact is it’s 13 years old and has served its purpose. But as I’ve gotten older, it’s becoming more difficult to get comfortable overnight, constantly tossing and turning etc. After talking to the wife she’s having the same issues.

So my question to you fellow planeteers: what’s your sleeping pad setup? I’m just looking at other options.

Oh, and FUCK DONKOS FOREVER!!!

TLO
10-23-2020, 11:16 AM
Girlfriend and I bought a new mattress in March. Paid a decent amount for it, but I consider it one of the best purchases I've ever made. I sleep much better now.

cabletech94
10-23-2020, 11:17 AM
Girlfriend and I bought a new mattress in March. Paid a decent amount for it, but I consider it one of the best purchases I've ever made. I sleep much better now.

What did you get?

backinblack
10-23-2020, 11:24 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NUJE3DCm1Vg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

dodgy
10-23-2020, 11:25 AM
Seman, everywhere.

Rain Man
10-23-2020, 11:25 AM
We had a nice pillowtop mattress for almost 20 years, and a couple of years ago I observed that I usually had a stiff back when I woke up in the morning. We decided that it was time to get a new mattress and went shopping.

We both decided that we liked extra firm mattresses. I liked a basic-style mattress that we found at a department store, but my wife wanted a sleep number bed so we could each adjust our own side in terms of firmness. We bought the sleep number, experimented for a couple of months, and now we both have our sides set to 100 (maximum firmness). So we kind of overpaid since we could've done the basic mattress, but I guess we didn't know until we experimented. The sleep number mattress has been great, too, so I'm happy with it, and the most magical thing is the sleep number pillows. Those pillows are amazing.

We also discovered microfiber sheets at the same time, which are really nice from a temperature control standpoint.

And while we did all of that, we put a ductless mini-split HVAC system in the bedroom. Upgrading the mattress, pillows, sheets, and HVAC has been spectacular.

htismaqe
10-23-2020, 11:28 AM
We have queen Tempur-Pedic with adjustable base. It sleeps comfortably as far as support but there's no temperature balance at all. In the summer it's hotter than hell and in the winter it's freezing. We even bought the special mattress topper for temperature control and it's worthless.

Love the adjustable base, I control it from my phone.

I think we're going to get a Purple next.

cabletech94
10-23-2020, 11:28 AM
Excellent information!! Thank you very much !!

We had a nice pillowtop mattress for almost 20 years, and a couple of years ago I observed that I usually had a stiff back when I woke up in the morning. We decided that it was time to get a new mattress and went shopping.

We both decided that we liked extra firm mattresses. I liked a basic-style mattress that we found at a department store, but my wife wanted a sleep number bed so we could each adjust our own side in terms of firmness. We bought the sleep number, experimented for a couple of months, and now we both have our sides set to 100 (maximum firmness). So we kind of overpaid since we could've done the basic mattress, but I guess we didn't know until we experimented. The sleep number mattress has been great, too, so I'm happy with it, and the most magical thing is the sleep number pillows. Those pillows are amazing.

We also discovered microfiber sheets at the same time, which are really nice from a temperature control standpoint.

And while we did all of that, we put a ductless mini-split HVAC system in the bedroom. Upgrading the mattress, pillows, sheets, and HVAC has been spectacular.

Red Beans
10-23-2020, 11:36 AM
Ask your Mom about it. She's really helped break it in.

Fish
10-23-2020, 11:49 AM
Just got a new mattress on Tuesday actually. It was an off brand from Amazon that's similar to a Purple mattress. Also got a 4" cushion topper. Extra firm mattress but the cushion topper is pretty soft. This has been the best week of sleep that I can remember. I should have done it long ago.

dlphg9
10-23-2020, 11:52 AM
We got a deal on a pretty good mattress a couple of years ago and I absolutely hate the fucking thing. I wish we would have kept our 7 year old spring mattress, but my wife loves the thing.

We got a cooling mattress that's memory foam and is very plush. Problem is that it is too soft. I thought I really liked it when I tried it out in the store, it felt very comfortable, but then we got it home and I actually slept on it...

I had read that it takes time for your body to readjust to a new bed and get used to the support. I was waking up really sore pretty much every single morning and I chalked it up to my body getting used to being in the proper position. Fast forward to now and while it has gotten marginally better I still hate it. Pretty much every morning my lower back hurts and my hips as well. I've had back problems since high school, so I won't blame the bed, but I'm blaming the hip pain on the bed. The only time my hips hurt is in the middle of the night after I wake up from them hurting and then in the morning when I wake up from them hurting.

I think part of my problem is for some reason I don't move while I'm asleep. If I fall asleep on my right side I wake up on my right side and my right hip hurts so bad I can barely move, so I roll over onto my left side and you guessed it, my left hip hurts. My fiance even says I don't move at all at night. She has been staying up late because she's preggers and can't sleep. I think part of the reason I don't move is because our youngest would fall asleep in bed with us when she was young. I think it's a subconscious thing and my body is thinking there's a baby that if I move I will squish.

Back on track, don't get a really soft bed if you like more firmness. If your SO likes the opposite, then the cheapest option is to get what you want and make her sleep on the floor or you could get a sleep number.

dlphg9
10-23-2020, 11:55 AM

Look at you bragging about your new mattress and your better sleep. GFY!nlm:harumph:

DaFace
10-23-2020, 11:57 AM
You'll get mixed reviews on the Sleep Number beds (mainly because they cost a small fortune), but my wife and I love ours. It's nice to have the ability to adjust depending on how you feel, and we each have different preferences for firmness.

DaFace
10-23-2020, 11:58 AM

Wow. I usually have mine at around 45, and my wife usually does 55. You might as well just sleep on the floor. :)

dlphg9
10-23-2020, 12:01 PM
You'll get mixed reviews on the Sleep Number beds (mainly because they cost a small fortune), but my wife and I love ours. It's nice to have the ability to adjust depending on how you feel, and we each have different preferences for firmness.

I'm sure you like it firm, really firm

and long, really long

and girthy, really girthy

htismaqe
10-23-2020, 12:06 PM

Had a Sleep Number before the Tempur Pedic.

We threw ours away. I was having horrible allergy problems (I'm allergic to mold) and after some research, decided to take a look inside the bed.

The air bladders were COVERED in mold.

DaFace
10-23-2020, 12:09 PM
Had a Sleep Number before the Tempur Pedic.

We threw ours away. I was having horrible allergy problems (I'm allergic to mold) and after some research, decided to take a look inside the bed.

The air bladders were COVERED in mold.

Yuck. Ours is about a decade old. I just happened to open it up a couple of months ago, and it seems fine thankfully. The foam is getting a bit worn, but that's about it.

Rain Man
10-23-2020, 12:13 PM
Wow. I usually have mine at around 45, and my wife usually does 55. You might as well just sleep on the floor. :)

Yeah, it's funny that we both ended up at 100. We tried a bunch of settings, and independently kept going up.

CoMoChief
10-23-2020, 12:17 PM
A good bed is something I'll pay a lot for.

Got a Stearns & Foster CaliKing 4yrs ago...LOVE it.

Bowser
10-23-2020, 12:21 PM
I've always been told to never go cheap on beds or mattresses because you spend over a third of your life in bed. I got a Sealy a couple of years ago and I sleep like a champ on it.

Frazod
10-23-2020, 12:27 PM
I've always been told to never go cheap on beds or mattresses because you spend over a third of your life in bed. I got a Sealy a couple of years ago and I sleep like a champ on it.

Boy that's the truth. When we first moved here almost 20 years ago, we had a baffled waterbed. Loved it. But after a few years it developed a leak, and we had to quickly get rid of it. Waterbeds were pretty much dead and gone at that point, so we replaced it with a cheap mattress that seemed comfortable at the store but in actuality sucked. I endured that for about a year, waking up most mornings with stiffness and back pain. Finally we got the Sears equivalent of a Tempurpedic mattress, and it is wonderful. Had it for about 10 years now. No complaints.

Rain Man
10-23-2020, 12:45 PM
Boy that's the truth. When we first moved here almost 20 years ago, we had a baffled waterbed. Loved it. But after a few years it developed a leak, and we had to quickly get rid of it. Waterbeds were pretty much dead and gone at that point, so we replaced it with a cheap mattress that seemed comfortable at the store but in actuality sucked. I endured that for about a year, waking up most mornings with stiffness and back pain. Finally we got the Sears equivalent of a Tempurpedic mattress, and it is wonderful. Had it for about 10 years now. No complaints.

I had a waterbed (unbaffled - I was a poor peasant boy) when I was in my 20s. I really liked it and my cat loved it, though I got nervous when she would knead the sheets with her claws.

Waterbeds completely disappeared, it seems. I'm not sure why. They seemed like a viable product niche.

Eureka
10-23-2020, 12:45 PM
I didn't like "Individual coils" if that helps. Sent two different brands back.

Went with the old school coil setup with a pillowtop. Hard to find though.

Bill Brasky
10-23-2020, 12:49 PM
Easy. Tuft and Needle Memory foam with the additional topper. Very affordable and then it doesn't need to last 13 years. The King is $675...

I also have a reflux guard foam wedge, which has worked like magic.

https://www.tuftandneedle.com/mattress/original/?irclickid=zxzTFmxlsxyLTI80UfQwQyYMUkExoezNRX6-UA0&irgwc=1&utm_campaign=Forbes%20Media&utm_source=impact&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_content=

Frazod
10-23-2020, 01:15 PM
I had a waterbed (unbaffled - I was a poor peasant boy) when I was in my 20s. I really liked it and my cat loved it, though I got nervous when she would knead the sheets with her claws.

Waterbeds completely disappeared, it seems. I'm not sure why. They seemed like a viable product niche.

I also had a free float when I was in my 20s. It was great as well, but it was used and beat up when I got it and the frame eventually got destroyed in one of my many moves back then.

IIRC it was an insurance liability issue that did them in. Just too much damage potential if they leaked. While I'm quite happy with my present mattress, had that water bed never leaked, I'd still have it.

JohnnyHammersticks
10-23-2020, 01:44 PM
Trust me on this. Inexpensive as heck. Just throw it on top of whatever you're using now and you're golden. You'll feel like you're floating. Had mine for 3 years now and there's been no degradation at all. But if you like really firm memory foam, this isn't the one for you.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81VGbq0G09L._AC_SX679_.jpg

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dreamfoam-Bedding-3-Gel-Infused-Slow-Response-Memory-Foam-Topper-King/682512562?selected=true

MOhillbilly
10-23-2020, 02:31 PM
Lytton Plus is a good mattress.

https://www.lyttonsleep.com/products/lytton-firm-plus

patteeu
10-23-2020, 02:46 PM
I had a very firm mattress for about 20 years. Lately it was causing me some back pain issues so I was sleeping on the guest bed or the couch more often than not. I bought a sleep number bed and I'm happy with it. I'm currently at 40, but I haven't decided whether that's where I'll stay yet.

Megatron96
10-23-2020, 02:47 PM
Earlier this year, I was having some hip pain every morning before with the old mattress, to the point where I was having a lot of trouble sleeping, which is why I decided to try a new mattress.

I did a little research and decided to give Puffy a try. I figured it I didn't like it after a month, I'd use their guarantee (100 days, no questions asked) and send it back and just try another one until I found one I liked.

I never got past the Puffy Lux mattress and mattress topper.

When I bought the mattress, I got a big discount on the topper, and it arrived about ten days or so before the mattress did so I got a chance to test it out solo. Just the topper 'cured' my chronic shoulder pain (side sleeper) in just a few days.

When the mattress arrived, I tried it out for a week without the topper and it was heavenly compared to my old Serta w/memory foam topper (13 years old).

With the topper, it's just better. Support and comfort are better than anything I've ever slept on before. I was having some hip pain every morning before with the old mattress, to the point where I was having a lot of trouble sleeping, which is why I decided to try a new mattress.

They are expensive though. I think without the discount or sale, it would've been over $2,000. I got mine for about $1,400 i think. The topper was about $200 of that I think.

But since I fall asleep in minutes and wake up without shoulder or hip pain, I figure it's worth every penny.

Hoover
10-23-2020, 02:49 PM
Oh I kinda miss the old waterbed. They were awesome in the winter when heated.

KurtCobain
10-23-2020, 03:08 PM

A third of your life? You guys get 8 hours of sleep?

SuperBowl4
10-23-2020, 03:08 PM
Look at you bragging about your new mattress and your better sleep. GFY!nlm:harumph::clap:ROFL

Rain Man
10-23-2020, 03:09 PM
A third of your life? You guys get 8 hours of sleep?

Three hours of that is sex.

alanm
10-23-2020, 03:23 PM

Waterbeds completely disappeared, it seems. I'm not sure why. They seemed like a viable product niche.You can still find them. I've still have my mattress in a box up in the attic. The frame and particle board in the rafters in the garage. Loved mine, especially on cold winter nights. Thing was the GF likes to rearrange the bedroom furniture periodically and I just got tired burping the mattress and always adding conditioner. But man, nothing like crawling into a warm bed when it was cold out. :thumb:

alanm
10-23-2020, 03:33 PM
I also had a free float when I was in my 20s. It was great as well, but it was used and beat up when I got it and the frame eventually got destroyed in one of my many moves back then.

IIRC it was an insurance liability issue that did them in. Just too much damage potential if they leaked. While I'm quite happy with my present mattress, had that water bed never leaked, I'd still have it.Never had that problem when I was renting places. Most thought the bed might fall through the floor. LMAO But I always came back with "If you don't fall through the floor in the square footage you're standing on neither will the bed". I believe a king size fully filled was something like 45lbs per square foot. Might have been more but it wasn't much more.

Deberg_1990
10-23-2020, 03:37 PM
Tell me about the action your bed gets.....

Titty Meat
10-23-2020, 03:45 PM
How much more attracted will you all be to me when I become a woman?

mililo4cpa
10-23-2020, 04:04 PM
We have queen Tempur-Pedic with adjustable base. It sleeps comfortably as far as support but there's no temperature balance at all. In the summer it's hotter than hell and in the winter it's freezing. We even bought the special mattress topper for temperature control and it's worthless.

Love the adjustable base, I control it from my phone.

I think we're going to get a Purple next.

I have the same, but we got the "cool max" (I think that's what it's called) with the gel stuff that stays cool. The base, along with being adjustable, also has a vibrating massage setting which is fantastic.

I paid an obscene amount for this, but assuming it will last about 12 - 15 years, it would be worth it......still, I cried when I spent that money....

but the bed has been great!

patteeu
10-23-2020, 04:28 PM
Tell me about the action your bed gets.....

My sleep number is new so I started on 35 and after 3 days I increased the firmness to 40 per the user instructions. So far, I haven’t tried the foot warmer, but I’ve made the head of the bed go up and down a few times.

Rain Man
10-23-2020, 05:09 PM
My sleep number is new so I started on 35 and after 3 days I increased the firmness to 40 per the user instructions. So far, I haven’t tried the foot warmer, but I’ve made the head of the bed go up and down a few times.

Dang, you got the fancy one. Mine just inflates and deflates.

patteeu
10-23-2020, 05:39 PM
Dang, you got the fancy one. Mine just inflates and deflates.

I’m looking forward and to the foot warmer this winter.

scho63
10-23-2020, 05:53 PM
https://static.boredpanda.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/world-prison-cells-prisoners-7-5b34df7298d7b__700.jpg

Randallflagg
10-23-2020, 06:04 PM
Back in 1989 - we bought a Beauty Rest mattress (firm) from a wholesale place here in Olathe. Hell, I think they have since went out of business. We are STILL using that same mattress to this day and it is still nearly as it was back then....

And these clowns tell us to buy a new mattress every 5-10 years.....the only thing we do is flip it about ever 3 months and switch it from head to toe.....

Stewie
10-23-2020, 06:08 PM
I had a Serta pillowtop for about 15 years. It gave up the ghost. I bought a firm (flippable) innerspring and couldn't be happier. I bought it at Nebraska Furniture. It's the Omaha Bedding brand. A thick mattress pad and all is golden. Walmart version of "my pillow" rounds it all out.

MOhillbilly
10-23-2020, 06:11 PM
Oh I kinda miss the old waterbed. They were awesome in the winter when heated.

I fat fingered the down vote in your comment.
Growing up in a old farm house I sure appreciated a waterbed.

Frazod
10-23-2020, 06:12 PM
Those My Pillows are the shit. We got a couple for Christmas a few years ago and they are definitely superior to any pillow I've used in the past.

alanm
10-23-2020, 06:13 PM
How much more attracted will you all be to me when I become a woman?Probably only if you shave regularly. LMAO

stevieray
10-23-2020, 06:15 PM
Wife and I had a waterbed for years...if you could find the rhythm you could ride that wave :)

Now it's king sized memory foam.

alanm
10-23-2020, 06:17 PM
My sleep number is new so I started on 35 and after 3 days I increased the firmness to 40 per the user instructions. So far, I haven’t tried the foot warmer, but I’ve made the head of the bed go up and down a few times.Foot warmer?? Wow.. Fancy! :thumb:

mlyonsd
10-23-2020, 06:19 PM
Those My Pillows are the shit. We got a couple for Christmas a few years ago and they are definitely superior to any pillow I've used in the past.Yup.

REDHOTGTO
10-23-2020, 06:49 PM
sleep by number bed, on an adjustable frame, had it for over 15 years, never a problem, love the fact if ya have a bad day you can adjust to fit your pain, awesome

KCUnited
10-23-2020, 07:11 PM
Can’t think of anything I’d want less in a bed than a built in foot warmer. Am I missing something? Seems like sleeping with socks on.

Pablo
10-23-2020, 07:37 PM
Can’t think of anything I’d want less in a bed than a built in foot warmer. Am I missing something? Seems like sleeping with socks on.

Gross. Socks in bed are almost as bad as wearing a condom.

CarlosCarson27
10-23-2020, 07:54 PM
It's in my bed room

Rain Man
10-23-2020, 07:59 PM
Gross. Socks in bed are almost as bad as wearing a condom.

So I guess you need a foot warmer.

displacedinMN
10-23-2020, 08:18 PM
Had a foam bed for a long time. It has two divots in it. One where I slept and the other where I slept when we rotated it 180 degrees.

We bought an original mattress factory bed. Has done well. It is weird having to flip it every 90 days. But it stops the divots.

I did like the single spring and foam beds. But we decided on OMF. I do not know if it is available in all markets.

mlyonsd
10-23-2020, 08:25 PM
We bought a queen tempurpedic in 2000. We never rotate it and it's just like new. Love it. I wouldn't mind eventually upgrading to the separate articulating king to make watching tv in bed easier. To us the temperature thing has never been a factor.

T-post Tom
10-23-2020, 08:33 PM
https://www.airweave.com/collections/mattress-models/products/new-mattress-advanced?variant=31373617791074

Had the good fortune of discovering this at friend’s house. A bit on the pricey side, but damn comfortable.

sd4chiefs
10-23-2020, 08:50 PM
IN the 80's I had a water bed. Loved it.

<iframe width="1127" height="634" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QO36vFqHox4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

loochy
10-23-2020, 09:15 PM
Wife and I have a memory foam style type bed. It has a “lifetime” warranty. It was sold to us as never having to replaced due to durability. Fact is it’s 13 years old and has served its purpose. But as I’ve gotten older, it’s becoming more difficult to get comfortable overnight, constantly tossing and turning etc. After talking to the wife she’s having the same issues.

So my question to you fellow planeteers: what’s your sleeping pad setup? I’m just looking at other options.

Oh, and FUCK DONKOS FOREVER!!!

Memory foam

It's called a Dr Breus bed and it's wonderful. Think tempur pedic, but more firm. The only drawback is that it gets hot easily.

Rain Man
10-23-2020, 10:57 PM
Okay, that settles it. I'm going to start a waterbed company. Who wants to invest? We all liked them.

philfree
10-23-2020, 11:16 PM
We just recently replaced our 20 + year old mattress. I did a quick internet search and ended up ordering a Saatva https://www.saatva.com/mattresses. They delivered it and hauled off the old mattress. So far it's been a big improvement. We went with the Classic.

And I hated the waterbeds. Terrible for sex and hard to even get out of in the morning.

Frazod
10-23-2020, 11:17 PM
Okay, that settles it. I'm going to start a waterbed company. Who wants to invest? We all liked them.

I actually checked on why waterbeds fell out of favor. I guess it wasn't insurance related; rather, it was new, high quality mattresses becoming available that equaled the comfort of water beds without the pain in the ass of dealing with waterbeds. So they basically went the way of the 8-track and gigantic tube TVs.

I remember when we moved into our current home in 2001, we purchased both the water bed and one of those huge TVs that felt like it weighed five hundred pounds. IIRC I spent $1,000 on the TV, and five years later I gave it to my next door neighbor in exchange for him helping me move it out of the house. :D

htismaqe
10-23-2020, 11:18 PM
I fat fingered the down vote in your comment.
Growing up in a old farm house I sure appreciated a waterbed.

Until the heater stopped working and the waterbed was like 40 degrees. ROFL

Fish
10-23-2020, 11:26 PM
My mom still has an old freefloat waterbed in her basement, which has been in the same location for like 25 years. Slept on it last year during hunting season. Yup, forgot to turn the heater on before bed. Went to bed drunk. Woke up in the middle of the night, and yes that damn bed was 40 degrees. LOL.

Frazod
10-23-2020, 11:34 PM
Until the heater stopped working and the waterbed was like 40 degrees. ROFL

Fuck, that happened to me once. It either broke during the night or had already broke when I went to bed and wasn't noticeable yet.

Woke up the next morning and felt like I'd been dead for four hours. My back was twisted in knots.

HemiEd
10-24-2020, 04:48 AM
Had a foam bed for a long time. It has two divots in it. One where I slept and the other where I slept when we rotated it 180 degrees.

We bought an original mattress factory bed. Has done well. It is weird having to flip it every 90 days. But it stops the divots.

I did like the single spring and foam beds. But we decided on OMF. I do not know if it is available in all markets.Since the mattress industry quit making flippable mattresses we have bought 4 new King mattresses. Each around a thousand to fifteen hundred each. Sealy, Beautyrest, you name it, we have had them and they all get the divots.
This last one from Mattress Firm had only lasted two years before it sucked.

We went to the OMF in Virginia Beach and ordered one, we love it. https://www.originalmattress.com/

Why Not?
10-24-2020, 06:17 AM
Not really sure. It’s big, it’s comfy, and my wife bought it so it’s probably expensive as hell

Chief Roundup
10-24-2020, 08:26 AM
I've always been told to never go cheap on beds or mattresses because you spend over a third of your life in bed. I got a Sealy a couple of years ago and I sleep like a champ on it.I have a Sealy Posture Pedic. It is a good mattress.

I think those are still considered cheap though.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Chief Roundup
10-24-2020, 08:28 AM
A third of your life? You guys get 8 hours of sleep?Doesn't everybody.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

scho63
10-24-2020, 09:03 AM
I've always slept on a firm mattress with an extra firm pillow my entire adult life. Always on a slat platform bed, no boxspring.

Works wonders for me.

I also try to sleep at 66-68 degrees. Best temp for sleep.