PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Collinsworth with high praise for Eric Bieniemy

RealSNR
10-26-2020, 05:01 PM
Yes, I'm starting a new thread. Fuck bumping old threads. You're not in charge of CP's thread starting budget, so STFU.

From Peter King's article this week:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/10/26/bucs-antonio-brown-nfl-week-7-fmia-peter-king/

FMIA: You’re running a team, and your owner says, “Pick the coach who’s going to turn us around.” Who is it?

Collinsworth: [Kansas City offensive coordinator] Eric Bieniemy. I would’ve done it last year. All these owners and GMs, they call you. Because we meet everybody. Bieniemy’s a dynamic personality, obviously he’s been in the room with Andy Reid, with the most creative of offenses. Is he the play caller? No, but it’s about play design. It’s about play creation. It’s about knowing the type of athlete you need to put together those kinds of creative offenses. And he’s a great guy.

FMIA: What’s the hang up been with Bieniemy? Why doesn’t he have a job yet?

Collinsworth: I’m gonna give the league the benefit of the doubt. I’m sure there are other people that say that the Rooney Rule is not effective enough and that’s the reason he didn’t get a job. [Bieniemy is Black.] I can’t explain it because in my mind, I know him. I’ve had a ton of conversations with him. I know his character. He’s like [Tennessee coach] Mike Vrabel. He’s one of those in-your-face kind of guys. I was stunned. I told Al [Michaels] before our opening broadcast in Kansas City, ‘I’m gonna go after [teams that didn’t hire him] because that is wrong that the guy didn’t get a job.’

But anyway, then, to me, I’m taking [Clemson QB] Trevor Lawrence with the first pick. I watched that kid play the other day. Talking about it with Richard Sherman, and he was saying, ‘You know, you got Sam Darnold, he’s been a top 5 pick. You could trade away the number one pick and you could set up your franchise for the rest of your life.’ I’m like, no way. In New York City? If they pass up the number one pick? If they don’t draft Trevor Lawrence, for the next six months, there is only one headline on the back pages of every one of those newspapers that you blew it, and that was the chance of a lifetime and you didn’t take it.

FMIA: So you’re Joe Douglas, GM of the Jets, and it sounds like you pick Bieniemy, no question?

Collinsworth: Yes sir, and I’m re-creating Kansas City. Everything. Trevor Lawrence is the same kind of player that Patrick Mahomes is. He can move. He’s creative. He’s been good for a long, consistent period of time. And then I’m going out and I’m finding all the Kelces and Edwards-Helaires I can find. I’m just re-doing Kansas City.

Not sure I'd take that gig if I were Bieniemy, but still. Not bad praise, eh?

htismaqe
10-26-2020, 05:02 PM
He'd be stupid to go to New York. It's nearly impossible to win there.

Deberg_1990
10-26-2020, 05:06 PM
Beineimy + Lawrence vs Reid and Mahomes would be epic for the next decade.

htismaqe
10-26-2020, 05:08 PM
Beineimy + Lawrence vs Reid and Mahomes would be epic for the next decade.

ROFL

You end every post with "for the next decade".

KC Hawks
10-26-2020, 05:08 PM
Very sweet of Collinsworth to say that!

keg in kc
10-26-2020, 05:11 PM
There is zero chance they could duplicate what happened here.

DaFace
10-26-2020, 05:15 PM
My prediction is that Bieniemy will go to Houston. They have cap issues that will hold them back for a few years, but Deshaun could really thrive under him.

keg in kc
10-26-2020, 05:16 PM
Houston might actually work. That's a fairly talented roster that's been castrated by coaching.

mnchiefsguy
10-26-2020, 05:22 PM
I have no idea where EB will end up, but if I am the Jets, I go for it and try to get him.

I don't see him taking it, but if I am the Jets I back up the money truck and try.

I think Houston is a cluster fuck....I could see EB trying to go to the NFC maybe....he has earned the right to be a head coach, and while I would love to keep him, I hope he lands in the best situation he can that does not threaten the Chiefs Dynasty :)

Rasputin
10-26-2020, 05:27 PM
I was under the impression that EB just wanted a bit more experience and learn from Andy Reid. Also he can win another SB ring with Patrick Fing Mahomes so that would go a long ways on a resume and hold out for even more money. I think EB was wise to stay and not just go to a team just because. He should have better options this year and more clout. So I think if he wanted a HC job last year he would have taken one.

RunKC
10-26-2020, 05:36 PM
He'd be stupid to go to New York. It's nearly impossible to win there.

NYJ would be a great spot for him. He gets Lawrence, they’ll have at least 1 extra early pick for Darnold and they have the most cap space in the league to replenish his team quickly.

He’s also got a few good pieces to work with like Bectin who looked legit at LT.

Hog's Gone Fishin
10-26-2020, 05:41 PM
I was under the impression that EB just wanted a bit more experience and learn from Andy Reid. Also he can win another SB ring with Patrick Fing Mahomes so that would go a long ways on a resume and hold out for even more money. I think EB was wise to stay and not just go to a team just because. He should have better options this year and more clout. So I think if he wanted a HC job last year he would have taken one.

Right on. EB is no dumbass. He's in a great spot right here. I hope Clark has given him the nod to be Andy's successor and stay put. Coaching a team with Andy Reid and PMII at QB can not be underestimated.

Titty Meat
10-26-2020, 05:46 PM
Should we fire him and let Kafka take over since hes going to leave anyway?

wazu
10-26-2020, 05:48 PM
WHY IS THIS NOT IN THE CRIS COLLINSWORTH OPINION MEGATHREAD

Hog's Gone Fishin
10-26-2020, 05:51 PM
Should we fire him and let Kafka take over since hes going to leave anyway?

Suck my Dick!

Wait.

Nevermind.

That wasn't an invitation!

Megatron96
10-26-2020, 06:14 PM
I hope Clark has given him the nod to be Andy's successor and stay put. Coaching a team with Andy Reid and PMII at QB can not be underestimated.

It would be fantastic if this could happen.

I just don't think EB will wait 6+ years for it to come about.

If he want's to make a name for himself, he's going to have to strike out on his own pretty soon. And the iron probably won't be any hotter than right after this season ends. The entire NFL universe is talking about EB on a weekly basis. There's no way he won't get ten offers or whatever the minute the SB is over.

BigRedChief
10-26-2020, 06:18 PM
Yes, I'm starting a new thread. **** bumping old threads. You're not in charge of CP's thread starting budget, so STFU.

From Peter King's article this week:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/10/26/bucs-antonio-brown-nfl-week-7-fmia-peter-king/

Not sure I'd take that gig if I were Bieniemy, but still. Not bad praise, eh?
The Jets are not just a bad team, they are a bad organization. He can’t fix that. I’d stay away from that team if I was him. He will have his pick of teams this off season.

Coochie liquor
10-26-2020, 06:28 PM
He’s gone. I don’t wanna see it, but if I’m the Sharters I make a huge push for him after Lynn gets fired at seasons end. But hoping he doesn’t stay in the division (although I know Andy has a good record vs his old coaches.

Titty Meat
10-26-2020, 06:54 PM
Suck my Dick!

Wait.

Nevermind.

That wasn't an invitation!

FUCK!

Titty Meat
10-26-2020, 06:57 PM
I have no idea where EB will end up, but if I am the Jets, I go for it and try to get him.

I don't see him taking it, but if I am the Jets I back up the money truck and try.

I think Houston is a cluster ****....I could see EB trying to go to the NFC maybe....he has earned the right to be a head coach, and while I would love to keep him, I hope he lands in the best situation he can that does not threaten the Chiefs Dynasty :)

And you would be back coaching under Reid in 3 years because the Jets are an awful franchise and that market is brutal on coaches who dont win.

Bewbies
10-26-2020, 06:59 PM
NYJ would be a great spot for him. He gets Lawrence, they’ll have at least 1 extra early pick for Darnold and they have the most cap space in the league to replenish his team quickly.

He’s also got a few good pieces to work with like Bectin who looked legit at LT.

If Sunshine hits, and EB is a good coach the Jets could all of the sudden look competent.

Kind of like how KC did not long after they went 2-14 and our MLB blew his head off at the stadium.

ModSocks
10-26-2020, 07:02 PM
I've already moved on. My heart is ready for Kafka.

chiefzilla1501
10-26-2020, 07:15 PM
If Sunshine hits, and EB is a good coach the Jets could all of the sudden look competent.

Kind of like how KC did not long after they went 2-14 and our MLB blew his head off at the stadium.

I also think Joe Douglas has potential. Wasn't his choice to hire gase and he's cleaning up a lot of messes.

htismaqe
10-26-2020, 07:53 PM

And he'll be an offensive coordinator again in 3-5.

htismaqe
10-26-2020, 07:53 PM
And you would be back coaching under Reid in 3 years because the Jets are an awful franchise and that market is brutal on coaches who dont win.

Yup.

chiefzilla1501
10-26-2020, 08:15 PM

I'd bet if EB doesn't make it as an NFL HC he'd coach in the ncaa. And I think he'd be spectacular there.

RealSNR
10-26-2020, 08:38 PM
Here's the other reason I would consider passing on the Jets if I were Bieniemy.

They brought him in for an interview two years ago. They said, "You're not the best coach we could hire at this time. Adam Gase is."

Adam. Fucking. Gase.

The guy who you're replacing after two years is who the Jets thought would be a better coach than you.

I know time heals wounds and all that, but... awkward situation, man.

Titty Meat
10-26-2020, 08:39 PM
I'd bet if EB doesn't make it as an NFL HC he'd coach in the ncaa. And I think he'd be spectacular there.

Depends on the program and the kind of recruits he could get. Hes a good coach so is Matt Nagy but it helps coaching under a HOFr and having a HOF QB and the best weapons in the league. Nagys offenses have been anemic ever since he became a head coach, Pedersons havent been much better either.

htismaqe
10-26-2020, 08:40 PM

He had a chance to be the HC at his alma mater and turned it down.

KChiefs1
10-26-2020, 08:43 PM
My prediction is that Bieniemy will go to Houston. They have cap issues that will hold them back for a few years, but Deshaun could really thrive under him.

No draft picks either.

MahomesMagic
10-26-2020, 08:49 PM
If you're EB you want the QB. Lawrence is more of an athletic Goff but thats still pretty good.

htismaqe
10-26-2020, 09:04 PM
Everybody says EB should go to Houston because they already have the QB but do they?

For all of his physical gifts, do we really believe Watson can run Andy Reid's offense?

MahomesMagic
10-26-2020, 09:26 PM
Everybody says EB should go to Houston because they already have the QB but do they?

For all of his physical gifts, do we really believe Watson can run Andy Reid's offense?

Word was KC had Watson as a late 1st round pick. I would say Watson has played much better than that. Don't worry about recreating KC. For Watson you want 3 deep threats and a running game. When he had that he scored 25 plus a game.

RunKC
10-26-2020, 09:28 PM

Not if he has Trevor Lawrence, extra draft picks and a ton of cash to burn. You said it yourself, QB is the most important aspect of the team.

If EB can’t make that work in 2 years then he was never a good HC candidate to begin.

RunKC
10-26-2020, 09:36 PM
This is what Miami got with a ton of cash this Spring:

Byron Jones
Kyle Van Noy
Emmanuel Ogbah
Jordan Howard
Shaq Lawson
Elandon Roberts

Jets have a few good players already: Bectin, Q Williams, J Jenkins, McGovern, Maye...and some decent draft picks worth investing like Mims.

Give EB a haul like that plus Lawrence and 2 other early draft picks? EB would be challenging for the division year 1.

htismaqe
10-26-2020, 10:02 PM
Word was KC had Watson as a late 1st round pick. I would say Watson has played much better than that. Don't worry about recreating KC. For Watson you want 3 deep threats and a running game. When he had that he scored 25 plus a game.

It's not about recreating the Chiefs, it's about understanding and executing the offense.

It's pretty complex and a big reason why Trubisky failed.

I'm not convinced Watson can run it. Give him deep threats and a running game isn't the WCO, that's the E-P offense.

htismaqe
10-26-2020, 10:03 PM
Not if he has Trevor Lawrence, extra draft picks and a ton of cash to burn. You said it yourself, QB is the most important aspect of the team.

If EB can’t make that work in 2 years then he was never a good HC candidate to begin.

You're assuming Trevor Lawrence is a sure fire hit. How many QB's have the New York Jets ruined over the years? It's kind of like going to Cleveland.

RunKC
10-27-2020, 07:37 AM
You're assuming Trevor Lawrence is a sure fire hit. How many QB's have the New York Jets ruined over the years? It's kind of like going to Cleveland.

Lawrence is the best option at QB of the open teams he could choose. If Lawrence is too risky then why even leave ro coach any team unless it’s got a HOF QB?

burt
10-27-2020, 08:03 AM
Nagys offenses have been anemic ever since he became a head coach, Pedersons havent been much better either.

Super Bowl Champion Pederson? The guy that won the SB with our back up QB? ????

JakeF
10-27-2020, 09:20 AM
It seems to me that Reid is pimping Bienemy hard because he wants Kaftka to be his main guy anyway.

ChiefBlueCFC
10-27-2020, 09:24 AM
If I was Bienemy I would steer clear of the Jets. He really should have his pick of what team he wants to coach. Houston, ATL, Cleveland maybe but I wouldn't want to be in the same zip code as the Jets

FloridaMan88
10-27-2020, 09:24 AM

There is also a possibility that Trevor Lawrence refuses to play for the Jets.

chiefzilla1501
10-27-2020, 09:38 AM
He had a chance to be the HC at his alma mater and turned it down.

I don't blame him. He can find a better school to coach. More importantly... It's harder to get an NFL job. It's easy to fail at an NFL job and end up at a competitive college program. Assuming bieniemys chances at an NFL head coach dry up in the next few years I'd imagine he'd happily try out college. And I still think that's a better fit for him than the NFL.

chiefzilla1501
10-27-2020, 09:44 AM
Depends on the program and the kind of recruits he could get. Hes a good coach so is Matt Nagy but it helps coaching under a HOFr and having a HOF QB and the best weapons in the league. Nagys offenses have been anemic ever since he became a head coach, Pedersons havent been much better either.

Which is where I am unsure about how he will do as an NFL coach. I also think he can be a bit of a hardass which is fine as an OC for Reid, but wonder how players will feel a few years when the team is struggling. But as a college coach he'll crush it with recruits and being a hardass suits that game well.

L.A. Chieffan
10-27-2020, 09:54 AM
Maybe Andy told him to stick around and he would be the successor. Andy can't coach forever

tatorhog
10-27-2020, 09:59 AM
This is what Miami got with a ton of cash this Spring:

Byron Jones
Kyle Van Noy
Emmanuel Ogbah
Jordan Howard
Shaq Lawson
Elandon Roberts

Jets have a few good players already: Bectin, Q Williams, J Jenkins, McGovern, Maye...and some decent draft picks worth investing like Mims.

Give EB a haul like that plus Lawrence and 2 other early draft picks? EB would be challenging for the division year 1.

Sounds like the Jets are considering offers on some of those guys. One report I read said that Q is available for less than a 1st rounder.

That doesn't sound like a team/dumpster fire any promising HC candidate would want to walk into blindly. Even with the chance to draft Lawrence, it just doesn't seem like a good place to go.

Bowser
10-27-2020, 10:27 AM
[Bieniemy is black]

https://www.wweek.com/resizer/86tt-U3ytIrtb7bBYXAIg7XWz7A=/1200x0/filters:quality(100)/s3.amazonaws.com/arc-wordpress-client-uploads/wweek/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/30145212/Nicolas-Cage.jpg

htismaqe
10-27-2020, 10:38 AM
If Lawrence is too risky then why even leave ro coach any team unless it’s got a HOF QB?

EXACTLY the question EB should be asking himself.

htismaqe
10-27-2020, 10:39 AM
Which is where I am unsure about how he will do as an NFL coach. I also think he can be a bit of a hardass which is fine as an OC for Reid, but wonder how players will feel a few years when the team is struggling. But as a college coach he'll crush it with recruits and being a hardass suits that game well.

Exactly.

RunKC
10-27-2020, 10:42 AM
EXACTLY the question EB should be asking himself.

Bc there’s only 32 coaches in the league and you take your shot when it’s open.
If he doesn’t make it he’ll be an OC again. His reputation is too good, especially with someone like Andy Reid vouching for him.

Bill Brasky
10-27-2020, 10:44 AM
Houston might actually work. That's a fairly talented roster that's been castrated by coaching.

If I'm EB, I'd chose Houston. It's going to take a couple more years sing BoB depleted their draft capital, but that's ok if you structure your deal with that understanding.

htismaqe
10-27-2020, 10:44 AM
Bc there’s only 32 coaches in the league and you take your shot when it’s open.
If he doesn’t make it he’ll be an OC again. His reputation is too good, especially with someone like Andy Reid vouching for him.

Everybody take their shot when it's open. That's why 80% of them fail.

If EB were smart, he'd be a bit more patient. He's only 51. There's no reason to run off to New York or Detroit when something else might come open next year.

Deberg_1990
10-27-2020, 10:46 AM
Jets is an extremely tough job. They have had very little sustained success since the Joe Namath era. thats crazy.

RunKC
10-27-2020, 10:52 AM
Everybody take their shot when it's open. That's why 80% of them fail.

If EB were smart, he'd be a bit more patient. He's only 51. There's no reason to run off to New York or Detroit when something else might come open next year.

I agree he shouldn’t take a bad situation but the odds of an opening with a very good QB is pretty much non-existent bc teams with good QB’s don’t do poorly very often. It’s pretty rare to have an opening like that.

Trevor Lawrence is worth that risk. If he agrees to go to NY with Bieniemy I don’t see how EB can’t take that job. There’s only 3-5 QB’s considered elite in this league and turning down a job with your best option of having one on your team seems foolish.

htismaqe
10-27-2020, 10:54 AM
I agree he shouldn’t take a bad situation but the odds of an opening with a very good QB is pretty much non-existent bc teams with good QB’s don’t do poorly very often. It’s pretty rare to have an opening like that.

Trevor Lawrence is worth that risk. If he agrees to go to NY with Bieniemy I don’t see how EB can’t take that job. There’s only 3-5 QB’s considered elite in this league and turning down a job with your best option of having one on your team seems foolish.

If I were either one of them, I'd blacklist the Jets. If Lawrence is serious about his career, pull an Eli Elway.

FAX
10-27-2020, 11:16 AM
I don't know what to think about this ...

For the next decade.

FAX

DaneMcCloud
10-27-2020, 11:25 AM
I've said this before but I'll say it again:

None of us know if EB will become a good Head Coach, a great Head Coach or a just another in a long line of overmatched bad Head Coaches.

But, when everyone in the media begins pushing a guy as a head coaching candidate, it rarely, if ever, turns out well.

htismaqe
10-27-2020, 11:37 AM
I've said this before but I'll say it again:

None of us know if EB will become a good Head Coach, a great Head Coach or a just another in a long line of overmatched bad Head Coaches.

But, when everyone in the media begins pushing a guy as a head coaching candidate, it rarely, if ever, turns out well.

:thumb:

The hot, hyped names almost always fall short and not always because they're bad but because they've been built up to be far better than they actually are.

DaneMcCloud
10-27-2020, 11:51 AM
:thumb:

The hot, hyped names almost always fall short and not always because they're bad but because they've been built up to be far better than they actually are.

Man, if I was EB, I'd avoid the Jets job like the plague. He's never worked with the GM before, the ownership is in flux with Woody Johnson's tenure as an ambassador coming to an end this year, along with an extremely impatient fan base, in the world's largest media market.

Whichever team hires him will have a fan base that expects immediate improvement, whether that's even remotely realistic or not. He's not going to be given a year or two, like Kliff Kingsbury in Arizona, who came into the league with question marks about his defenses or a guy like Matt Rhule, whose team is in a transition period due to their aging roster.

No, he'll be expected to turn things around immediately, like Green Bay head coach Mike LaFleur.

And if he pulls a Mike McCarthy and falters, EB might not make it a year in New York.

WarChiefs89
10-27-2020, 12:26 PM
Jobs that are/could be available...
Already Fired: HOU, ATL
Will be gone soon: NYJ, JAX
Could/should be fired: DET, LAC, MIN

Out of all of those there is 1 that seems way more attractive than the rest. Los Angeles Chargers. Other than being in the AFC West most everything else is going for them... they have a young QB in place, defensive core that is talented but often injured, decent amount of cap space, new stadium.

I don't understand the HOU love. Cap hell + no picks. JAX or NYJ are only intriguing assuming they get Lawrence but those are historically badly run franchises. Minny, Detroit and Atlanta are mediocre. I think Min would be my next choice with the ability to move on from Cousins with your top-5 pick coming

St. Patty's Fire
10-27-2020, 12:28 PM
McVay and Shananan were super hyped guys who are tremendous coaches.

htismaqe
10-27-2020, 12:41 PM

Shanahan was coordinator for SEVEN years before moving to a HC position.

McVay was only a coordinator for 2 and only a coach of anything for 9.

Shanahan doesn't really fit the bill. His hype was built on hard work.

McVay was a hot name. He's been pretty good so far but he's one of the few. Against him, you have all the Adam Gase's and Raheem Morris' of the world.

Sassy Squatch
10-27-2020, 12:48 PM
All of a sudden there's a bit of chatter that Lawrence may just stay in school another year.

htismaqe
10-27-2020, 12:49 PM
All of a sudden there's a bit of chatter that Lawrence may just stay in school another year.

J-E-T-S. Jets, Jets, Jets!

ROFL

staylor26
10-27-2020, 12:49 PM

0% chance that happens.

FloridaMan88
10-27-2020, 12:53 PM
Link: https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30203144/clemson-tigers-qb-trevor-lawrence-hints-staying-senior-season-rather-opting-nfl-draft

The 6-foot-6 Lawrence, considered the likely No. 1 pick in next spring's NFL draft, said he hasn't ruled out returning to Clemson for another year instead of going pro.

"My mindset has been that I'm going to move on,'' Lawrence said Tuesday. "But who knows? There's a lot of things that could happen.''

Translation: Don't tank for me, Jets.

RunKC
10-27-2020, 12:59 PM
How humiliating would it be for Lawrence to tell the Jets he doesn’t want to play for them and then have him get drafted by the team with the 2nd pick...the Giants?

That would be the worst shit ever for Jets fans

htismaqe
10-27-2020, 01:00 PM
How humiliating would it be for Lawrence to tell the Jets he doesn’t want to play for them and then have him get drafted by the team with the 2nd pick...the Giants?

That would be the worst shit ever for Jets fans

ROFL

DaneMcCloud
10-27-2020, 01:08 PM

McVay comes from a football family, as his grandfather was GM of the 49ers during their dynasty years with Joe Montana. He also started on Gruden's staff in Tampa, in DC with the Shanahan's and is only 34 years old.

If McVay had been hired in Jacksonville or Detroit or Cleveland, no one would even know his name, other than being another in a long line of failures for those franchises.

Shanahan had been coaching in the NFL for 13 years before being named as Head Coach of the 49ers and for 7 of those 13 years, was an offensive coordinator that actually called the plays.

htismaqe
10-27-2020, 01:11 PM
McVay comes from a football family, as his grandfather was GM of the 49ers during their dynasty years with Joe Montana. He also started on Gruden's staff in Tampa, in DC with the Shanahan's and is only 34 years old.

If McVay had been hired in Jacksonville or Detroit or Cleveland, no one would even know his name, other than being another in a long line of failures for those franchises.

Shanahan had been coaching in the NFL for 13 years before being named as Head Coach of the 49ers and for 7 of those 13 years, was an offensive coordinator that actually called the plays.

Right.

scho63
10-28-2020, 04:06 PM

He fits there pretty well but does he want to deal with that shit show now that they dumped so much talent? :hmmm: