PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Late night bullshit: We may have a Damien Wilson problem.

Direckshun
10-26-2020, 11:48 PM
It's no mystery the Chiefs linebacking corps leaves a lot to be desired. We got some nice play out of Gay at Will this past game, and Hitchens has been passable more often than he's not.

But I'm rewatching the Broncos game, and the Broncos essentially run the same play like 8 times in the 2nd quarter, and it's a big gainer every time. Like, every time.

They pull a guard or tackle from the left side and run them to the right. The RB takes the handoff and fakes the run to the inside before cutting it wide to the right and following at least one, if not two blockers over the right side. Wilson played that side all quarter, and never made a single play once. He was washed out by a blocker every single time in that quarter.

He wasn't helped by the DE play. My guy, Demone Harris, was abominable. He was consistently blocked out of plays by tight ends. Kpass wasn't much better, giving up push almost every time. One time, they ran the play when Clark manned that side, and even Clark bit too far inside and was unable to get outside, leaving Wilson alone to be erased by the blocker.

This defense has several issues: lack of an edgerush, corners that may have regressed from the postseason highs of last year, and a scheme that allows the MLB to be a sideline-to-sideline roamer... which we're wasting on Hitchens.

But Wilson may not be passable at this point, which we may see whenever we play a capable offense again willing to run right at him for entire quarters. He's a good player if there's no blockers to slip, but he simply can't get off blocks.

Thoughts.

DaneMcCloud
10-26-2020, 11:59 PM
The worst player on the Chiefs defense is the worst player on the Chiefs defense.

News at 11:00.

ChiefsFanatic
10-27-2020, 12:43 AM
It's no mystery the Chiefs linebacking corps leaves a lot to be desired. We got some nice play out of Gay at Will this past game, and Hitchens has been passable more often than he's not.

But I'm rewatching the Broncos game, and the Broncos essentially run the same play like 8 times in the 2nd quarter, and it's a big gainer every time. Like, every time.

They pull a guard or tackle from the left side and run them to the right. The RB takes the handoff and fakes the run to the inside before cutting it wide to the right and following at least one, if not two blockers over the right side. Wilson played that side all quarter, and never made a single play once. He was washed out by a blocker every single time in that quarter.

He wasn't helped by the DE play. My guy, Demone Harris, was abominable. He was consistently blocked out of plays by tight ends. Kpass wasn't much better, giving up push almost every time. One time, they ran the play when Clark manned that side, and even Clark bit too far inside and was unable to get outside, leaving Wilson alone to be erased by the blocker.

This defense has several issues: lack of an edgerush, corners that may have regressed from the postseason highs of last year, and a scheme that allows the MLB to be a sideline-to-sideline roamer... which we're wasting on Hitchens.

But Wilson may not be passable at this point, which we may see whenever we play a capable offense again willing to run right at him for entire quarters. He's a good player if there's no blockers to slip, but he simply can't get off blocks.

Thoughts.Our defensive ends, including Clark, are generally undisciplined when come to setting the edge. It doesn't even take a hard fake either. I understand that they may see something in the alignment from the film that leads them to anticipate a certain play, but we have given up more than one goal line TD this year because the DE crashed down the line instead of staying home.

I think that both the Gregg Robinson and Romeo Crennel defenses had this same problem. Maybe Spags has asked them to do something other than setting the edge, I don't know. But, if you watch the all-22, you can see how we seem to give up chunk play after chunk play on runs that the running back runs right through where the DE should be.

I wish I had time to create GIFS, because it would be easy to show examples.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Halfcan
10-27-2020, 12:57 AM
If the Jets run for 200 on us- it is time to cut some fuckers.

St. Patty's Fire
10-27-2020, 12:59 AM
Line backing corps? More like linebacking CORPSE

KCrockaholic
10-27-2020, 01:00 AM
I don't really see him as a problem. Could it be better, of course. We miss Derrick Johnson absolutely. That guy was incredible. I'm also not going to fret about Damien Wilson right now. I think he's ok until we have a reason for him to not be ok. A problem? No.

bringbackmarty
10-27-2020, 01:32 AM
Gay was all over the field making plays, but I agree, Wilson and occasionally Niemann are lost too much of the time. Hitch is hitch and that's a bitch. One outta four ain't bad. Hard to find good lbs when you're playing nickel d most of the time.

Dante84
10-27-2020, 01:37 AM
Yep, LB overhaul this coming offseason, along with the IOL and TE2 spots.

Chargem
10-27-2020, 02:04 AM

So the CB group have regressed, there are issues on the D line and the LBs continue to be garbage. So this must be like, one of the worst defenses in the NFL right? right?

UK_Chief
10-27-2020, 02:15 AM
What’s Mike Vrabel up to these days??

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
10-27-2020, 03:23 AM
So the CB group have regressed, there are issues on the D line and the LBs continue to be garbage. So this must be like, one of the worst defenses in the NFL right? right?

We are #3 in the NFL in passing yards allowed but yet our CBs suck um wtf??

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
10-27-2020, 03:23 AM
I’ll just leave this here

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Chiefs are just the fourth team in the NFL this season to record 4+ takeaways and 3+ sacks in a single game.<br><br>Kansas City is also the only team in the NFL to allow 20 or fewer points six times this season. Pretty good.</p>&mdash; Matt McMullen (@KCChiefs_Matt) <a href="https://twitter.com/KCChiefs_Matt/status/1320726369769324546?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 26, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ChiefsFanatic
10-27-2020, 05:00 AM
So the CB group have regressed, there are issues on the D line and the LBs continue to be garbage. So this must be like, one of the worst defenses in the NFL right? right?I am not a fan of Ward, like other here. I think he is just slightly above average, because he seems to give up catches when he is standing right next to the receivers. He doesn't seem to be able to play the man and the ball at the same time. But, he is probably better than I think he is. However, he has been playing with a broken hand.

And Breeland missed the first 4 games due to suspension. Then Sneed, who was having a very good start to the season and his career, went down with an injury.

But, overall, the entire secondary is playing pretty damn good football.

The defensive unit that is hurting us the most is the linebackers. Hopefully, Gay pans out, and can be a cornerstone of a LB rebuild starting in the off-season.

ChiefsFanatic
10-27-2020, 05:02 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Chiefs are just the fourth team in the NFL this season to record 4+ takeaways and 3+ sacks in a single game.<br><br>Kansas City is also the only team in the NFL to allow 20 or fewer points six times this season. Pretty good.</p>— Matt McMullen (@KCChiefs_Matt) <a href="https://twitter.com/KCChiefs_Matt/status/1320726369769324546?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 26, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>And we played the other 3 division winners right off the bat too. Some talking heads are saying that our remaining schedule is easy, but we have already been through the tough part.

HemiEd
10-27-2020, 05:37 AM
I was tempted to start a thread about some of the nice plays that Wilson made.

tyreekthefreak
10-27-2020, 05:46 AM
Wilson hustles and plays with an attitude that is needed on this team. Is he perfect, no, but hardly a liability!

Hammock Parties
10-27-2020, 06:21 AM
Direckshun complaining about a top 10 defense.

Really hard not to like Matt Cassel.

Hog's Gone Fishin
10-27-2020, 06:32 AM
Well, Dirty Dan can't do EVERYTHING!

smithandrew051
10-27-2020, 06:43 AM
Yep, LB overhaul this coming offseason, along with the IOL and TE2 spots.

This.

People worry too much. Go back in time 2 years and look at our defense.

An absolutely atrocious secondary. Fixed.

Awful coaching. Fixed.

When we have a need, Veach goes to work. We’ll be fine.

AdolfOliverBush
10-27-2020, 07:41 AM
If the opponent is running the ball, that usually plays right into the Chiefs hands. 60 minutes is not enough time to beat the Chiefs by running the football. Almost all of the losses the Chiefs have had since the start of the 2019-20 season can be chalked up to injuries, or the offense having an off day. Teams must air it out to have a chance. The team being 6-1 with one of the worst run defenses in the league says it all.

Delano
10-27-2020, 07:48 AM
If the opponent is running the ball, that usually plays right into the Chiefs hands. 60 minutes is not enough time to beat the Chiefs by running the football. Almost all of the losses the Chiefs have had since the start of the 2019-20 season can be chalked up to injuries, or the offense having an off day. Teams must air it out to have a chance. The team being 6-1 with one of the worst run defenses in the league says it all.

To an extent I agree, but a weak run defense puts a lot of pressure on the rest of the team. The other phases must be near perfect against a great opponent. A few turnovers or untimely penalties against a team like the Ravens or Steelers and we’ve got some issues. They go up a few scores and they can maul that right side all day.

Red Beans
10-27-2020, 08:01 AM
Line backing corps? More like linebacking CORPSE

I see what you did there. Nice seasonal and subject related timing.

Pasta Little Brioni
10-27-2020, 08:02 AM
Some people are saying Direction is a bigger dumbass than Deberg

Hammock Parties
10-27-2020, 08:08 AM
To an extent I agree, but a weak run defense puts a lot of pressure on the rest of the team. The other phases must be near perfect against a great opponent. A few turnovers or untimely penalties against a team like the Ravens or Steelers and we’ve got some issues. They go up a few scores and they can maul that right side all day.

LMAO

Tell it to the 49ers. They ran all over us. The only issue in that game was our offense being shit for 3 quarters.

JakeF
10-27-2020, 08:31 AM
Our front 7 is weak.

Okafor is out, Kpass is getting worn out. He isn't good enough for full time anyway.

Frank Clark disappears for games at a time.

That's why i wanted us to trade for Ngakoue. Even if we just rented him for the 5th round pick it would be worth it for another Super Bowl.

Cosmos
10-27-2020, 08:38 AM
This.

People worry too much. Go back in time 2 years and look at our defense.

An absolutely atrocious secondary. Fixed.

Awful coaching. Fixed.

When we have a need, Veach goes to work. We’ll be fine.

Collectively, this i is the best staff on both sides of the ball that we’ve ever had.

You can see schemes change from game to games, almost always successful concepts, executed by less that great personnel...particularly defensively.

And of course Andy and Patrick.

BWillie
10-27-2020, 08:48 AM
I don't sit there and watch specific linebackers, but I saw some nice things from Wilson last week. Granted, I'm sure I missed some lapses if there were some.

jjchieffan
10-27-2020, 08:55 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Chiefs are just the fourth team in the NFL this season to record 4+ takeaways and 3+ sacks in a single game.<br><br>Kansas City is also the only team in the NFL to allow 20 or fewer points six times this season. Pretty good.</p>&mdash; Matt McMullen (@KCChiefs_Matt) <a href="https://twitter.com/KCChiefs_Matt/status/1320726369769324546?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 26, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That is impressive. Although I still can't believe that they gave up 40 to the friggin Carr led Faiders! He hasn't put that much up in 2 games most years.

BWillie
10-27-2020, 09:00 AM
The points per game is also selling this defense short. It's a Top 10 defense by points let up but it's really been better than that. We are a team that will increase the amount of possessions a game. Also since we are always winning, the other team has an incentive to pass more, and we give up garbage scores in the 4th quarter when basically playing prevent.

Yet when I look at DVOA we are only 13th on defense. I would have thought it would be higher than that.

Chris Meck
10-27-2020, 09:11 AM
We were down to like...fourth string DE.

It was on a sloppy wet field in the snow.

I don't really understand why anyone would judge too harshly under the circumstances.

Chris Meck
10-27-2020, 09:13 AM
That is impressive. Although I still can't believe that they gave up 40 to the friggin Carr led Faiders! He hasn't put that much up in 2 games most years.

It was pretty clear that we didn't think Carr could or would take those shots.

He did, and had a good day. Hats off to them.

staylor26
10-27-2020, 09:35 AM
Our front 7 is weak.

Okafor is out, Kpass is getting worn out. He isn't good enough for full time anyway.

That's why i wanted us to trade for Ngakoue. Even if we just rented him for the 5th round pick it would be worth it for another Super Bowl.

:facepalm:

1. We can’t afford Ngakoue

2. How the fuck were we supposed to get him for a 5th when they got a 3rd you buttfucking moron?

Pasta Little Brioni
10-27-2020, 09:37 AM
Late night bullshit and deberg threads. We have a turd problem, flush it

ModSocks
10-27-2020, 09:41 AM
Late night bullshit and deberg threads. We have a turd problem, flush it

I fucking loathe the pre-fix "Late Night Bullshit".

"I know this idea is stupid but, hear me out.."

DaneMcCloud
10-27-2020, 10:59 AM
I am not a fan of Ward, like other here. I think he is just slightly above average

And that's all a defense needs to be competitive.

Playing CB in the NFL just might be the most difficult position in all of sports.

Not only do those guys need to be "mind readers", they need to be extremely athletic, quick and ridiculously football smart while simultaneously defending passes coming at them at light speed, all the while avoiding contact with said receiver in order to disrupt the receiver from making a catch, in about 4 seconds or less.

Average is just fine and Above Average is fantastic.

htismaqe
10-27-2020, 11:02 AM
Wilson played very well when the defensive line was doing its job the other night. No LB is going to play consistently good with a linemen on him 1:1 in the 2nd level of the defense.

htismaqe
10-27-2020, 11:03 AM
I was tempted to start a thread about some of the nice plays that Wilson made.

He made several great plays the other night.

BossChief
10-27-2020, 11:07 AM

Spags obviously prepared for that game to be about the ultra short passing game and Carr/Gruden came out firing deep consistently and we never adjusted.

We will be ready for that shit sandwich next time.

BossChief
10-27-2020, 11:09 AM
Wilson played very well when the defensive line was doing its job the other night. No LB is going to play consistently good with a linemen on him 1:1 in the 2nd level of the defense.

/thread

RINGLEADER
10-27-2020, 11:15 AM

From a passer rating perspective we turn every QB into a below average mess.

Take away that Raiders anomaly and we’re the number one score defense.

DaneMcCloud
10-27-2020, 11:17 AM
I fucking loathe the pre-fix "Late Night Bullshit".

"I know this idea is stupid but, hear me out.."

When that thread initially began back in the mid-2000's, the "Bullshit" part wasn't about football per se, but ANY topic anyone wanted to talk about, hence "bullshit".

Direckshun has turned it into his own little laboratory of nonsense.

DaneMcCloud
10-28-2020, 11:51 AM
Our front 7 is weak.

LMAO

Two questions:

1. Is this a parody account? This fucking guy is either the dumbest fucking person in Chiefsplanet history or the biggest troll in CP history.

2. How in the world can this guy have positive rep?

Chargem
10-28-2020, 12:38 PM
I am not a fan of Ward, like other here. I think he is just slightly above average, because he seems to give up catches when he is standing right next to the receivers. He doesn't seem to be able to play the man and the ball at the same time. But, he is probably better than I think he is. However, he has been playing with a broken hand.

And Breeland missed the first 4 games due to suspension. Then Sneed, who was having a very good start to the season and his career, went down with an injury.

I think corner is just somewhere that I don't want superstar and trash, I want a group of average to above average guys, that's how you build an effective pass defense.

Having one lock down guy on the boundary in itself doesn't mean anything, if you can just pass away from him, or move your best receiver into the slot, or scheme some space away from that lockdown guy.

We were down to like...fourth string DE.

It was on a sloppy wet field in the snow.

I don't really understand why anyone would judge too harshly under the circumstances.

/thread

IowaHawkeyeChief
10-28-2020, 01:11 PM
We had difficulty with the Counter TAG or the Counter TATE... I shared this multiple times in the game thread. If the walk up linebacker goes unblocked, many times they are told to slam the gap and look for a trapper. We either weren't ready for this, had a scheme for this to be filled by someone else, or we weren't playing responsibility football. We got better as the game progressed but it was far from perfect.

Pitt Gorilla
10-28-2020, 01:11 PM
Well, KPass isn't getting lured away by a huge contract if he continues to play like this. I guess that's the good news.

I wonder if they'd try Wharton at his spot? I know Danna is out with an injury, but I'd sure like to have him back.

Pitt Gorilla
10-28-2020, 01:16 PM
And that's all a defense needs to be competitive.

Playing CB in the NFL just might be the most difficult position in all of sports.

Not only do those guys need to be "mind readers", they need to be extremely athletic, quick and ridiculously football smart while simultaneously defending passes coming at them at light speed, all the while avoiding contact with said receiver in order to disrupt the receiver from making a catch, in about 4 seconds or less.

Average is just fine and Above Average is fantastic.This right here. When you're 1-1 against a guy outside and have no immediate help AND have to determine if his route is going inside or out AND once he makes that move, you have to over-compensate to make sure he can't catch the ball. It's nearly impossible and, yet, a lot of guys do it really well. Honestly, it's why the good receivers get bracketed inside out.

Megatron96
10-28-2020, 01:17 PM
Wilson has played better this season than he did at just about any point last season. For 2020-2021, I'll take that. See about finding a replacement after the season is over.

KPass, well I hoped he'd keep improving, but unless I'm missing something, he isn't. He's okay, but not good; about average to maybe slightly worse than average, IMO. Almost feel like we would've been better off keeping Speaks. But that's water\bridge . . .

htismaqe
10-28-2020, 01:18 PM
Well, KPass isn't getting lured away by a huge contract if he continues to play like this. I guess that's the good news.

I wonder if they'd try Wharton at his spot? I know Danna is out with an injury, but I'd sure like to have him back.

I would like to see Danna against Denver to see if he can set the edge.

KPass bit inside EVERY freaking time.

Megatron96
10-28-2020, 01:19 PM
The other thing I'll say is that if we had to, I think we could live with both Hitch and Wilson for another season at least. No, they aren't great, but they are serviceable and against most of the league they work just fine. I think some of us just miss having DJ running around back there.

htismaqe
10-28-2020, 01:21 PM
The other thing I'll say is that if we had to, I think we could live with both Hitch and Wilson for another season at least. No, they aren't great, but they are serviceable and against most of the league they work just fine. I think some of us just miss having DJ running around back there.

DJ was great for most of his career but even he had some down times.

Megatron96
10-28-2020, 01:28 PM
DJ was great for most of his career but even he had some down times.

Hell, I miss DJ, a lot. But he's gone, and we have to get used to what we have in front of us.

It's basically the same thing (for me; probably most Cards fans) when Ozzie Smith retired. We spent the next few seasons yelling at the TV every time one of the replacement SSs made a mistake "because the Oz would've made that play easily." It just took awhile to get used to Ozzie not being there.