PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs must make their decision on Rankin this week

Megatron96
11-05-2020, 01:49 PM
The Kansas City Chiefs must make their decision on Rankin this week.

[QUOTE][For the last couple weeks, the Kansas City Chiefs have been able to casually watch offensive lineman Martinas Rankin during practice sessions as he got back into football shape and tested how well his knee has recovered from a devastating injury dating back to last year. This week, however, the runway for Rankin has ended.

Given that the Chiefs placed Rankin on the Physically Unable to Play list to start the season, Rankin was forced to miss the first six games of the year. From there, he was activated which gave the team and player a three-week window within which to evaluate his healthy and ability to return to the field. For Rankin and the Chiefs, Week 9 is that third week.

As the Chiefs prepare for the Carolina Panthers, they must also look to Rankin’s readiness for the rest of the season. Rankin is a potential starter at guard when healthy, and as the team deals with the losses of Laurent Duvernay-Tardif (opt out) and Kelechi Osemele (injury), Rankin would most certainly be in the mix to start if he’s ready. Instead, the Chiefs have turned to Nick Allegretti, who has been solid at left guard in place of Mike Remmers, who switched to right tackle to replace the injured Mitchell Schwartz.

On Wednesday, head coach Andy Reid told reporters an update on Rankin, saying he was “real close.”/QUOTE]

Full story here:
https://arrowheadaddict.com/2020/11/05/kc-chiefs-must-make-decision-martinas-rankin-week/

So, just blue-skying here, and there's no real evidence this is in play at all, but could Rankin actually replace Wylie at some point in the near future this season? Did he show enough in his five starts last season, and if he continues to impress in practice of course, to actually be an upgrade over Wylie down the stretch? Or is Wylie really the better OL?

OKchiefs
11-05-2020, 02:01 PM
I would think a wet paper bag would be better than Wylie, but who knows.

pugsnotdrugs19
11-05-2020, 02:02 PM
Andy said he was really close, he will be back.

Megatron96
11-05-2020, 02:04 PM
Andy said he was really close, he will be back.

Yeah, but will he start next week? Or the week after that?

pugsnotdrugs19
11-05-2020, 02:05 PM
Yeah, but will he start next week? Or the week after that?

No telling, depends what they think he can do off the injury.

Direckshun
11-05-2020, 02:06 PM
Reid won't bench Wylie unless he has a medical reason. That's how he's benched OL in the past, including Reiter this season.

So watch for Wylie to start appearing on injury reports.

New World Order
11-05-2020, 02:18 PM
Andy loves Wylie for some reason

Megatron96
11-05-2020, 02:21 PM
Does anyone think Wylie is better than Rankin or vice versa? I haven't bothered to look their individual stats yet, but my gut says Rankin is overall a better OL. Change my mind?

Dunerdr
11-05-2020, 02:52 PM
Does anyone think Wylie is better than Rankin or vice versa? I haven't bothered to look their individual stats yet, but my gut says Rankin is overall a better OL. Change my mind?

The limited opportunities for the eye test make me think rankin was like a 6.5/10 and wiley is like a 5/10. But Rankin was still fairly new to the system at the time.

R Clark
11-05-2020, 03:00 PM
I sure hope he’s better than Wylie o line needs all the help they can get

O.city
11-05-2020, 03:12 PM
The Rankin fascination is weird.

Dunerdr
11-05-2020, 03:13 PM

He was decent and stepped into an atrocious lOL making him look more solid.

Wilson8
11-05-2020, 03:20 PM
Two thoughts on Rankin's return -

1. I was hoping for a Chiefs trade for a Guard this week at the trade deadline. Since it did not happen, perhaps the Chiefs were feeling pretty good about what Martinas Rankin can bring.

2. BUT also thought if Rankin had been looking good in practice, that Chiefs might trade one of their OL that they might have to cut once Rankin returns.

Chiefs have Austin Reiter, Daniel Kilgore, Mitchell Schwartz, Eric Fisher, Nick Allegretti, Mike Remmers, Andrew Wylie, Yasir Durant, and Danny Isidora (Temp call up from PS).

I think we will have 9 players on the OL when they finish with the Rankin transaction.

My guess is that Danny Isidora will return to PS. Both Kemp and Isidora came up from PS which actually allowed active roster to be 55. Under the new NFL 2020 COVID rules, you can only do this with a player twice.

Some other position will be cut to get Rankin on the 53 man active roster.

RINGLEADER
11-05-2020, 03:26 PM
“We fight for a cause. I stay.”

chiefzilla1501
11-05-2020, 03:44 PM

Why is it weird? At worst, he's quality depth where our depth sucks and no OL are on the market. At best I don't think anybody has any expectation except that he's hopefully better than wiley. Given that he looked pretty good in very limited action there's reason to at least be optimistic.

I can't imagine the Chiefs will play him knowing they have a bye week coming up.

Megatron96
11-05-2020, 04:04 PM

If our OL had been largely healthy over last season and this one, I'd agree with you; spending multiple threads on Rankin would be weird.

But the reality is that our OL hasn't been healthy for much of the last 24 games, which is the only reason I even know Rankin's name.

And in the five games Rankin played for us he wasn't a turnstile. In fact, he even had a couple games where he played fairly well before he got hurt.

And here we are with another bout of injuries to our OL, and Rankin's getting healthy. And Wylie appears to be the weakest starting OL we have available.

At least that's how the general consensus seemed to be trending last season.

Anyway, I thought there was some room for idle speculation, that's all.

tomahawk kid
11-07-2020, 07:50 AM
I don’t understand the staff’s fascination with Reiter and Wylie.

Neither should be starting OL in the NFL

kcclone
11-07-2020, 08:32 AM

He played really well last year until he was injured. No guarantee he’ll be the same this year, I’ll leave it to the coaches to figure that out.

But he was a stud last year.

O.city
11-07-2020, 08:34 AM
Stud seems a bit strong

He was adequate but he’s injury prone. I just don’t think I’d count on him and if he plays well great

TEX
11-07-2020, 08:53 AM
Stud seems a bit strong

He was adequate but he’s injury prone. I just don’t think I’d count on him and if he plays well great

Yep, that's exactly the case. Over the long haul, I think he's going to prove to be a turd b/c he won't see the field consistently... He was beyond terrible at Takle in Hou. Was adequate to decent for the limited time he played Guard with us. But the key is "limited time." The dude is ALWAYS hurt in some capacity, and that, more than anything, has set him back. He's the same player in that regard that he was in Houston. If he pans out - GREAT! But I would be cautious on counting on him.

TEX
11-07-2020, 08:55 AM
I don’t understand the staff’s fascination with Reiter and Wylie.

Neither should be starting OL in the NFL

I think they like how they move. Unfortunately, so do opposing D-Lineman....

htismaqe
11-07-2020, 09:47 AM
Yep, that's exactly the case. Over the long haul, I think he's going to prove to be a turd b/c he won't see the field consistently... He was beyond terrible at Takle in Hou. Was adequate to decent for the limited time he played Guard with us. But the key is "limited time." The dude is ALWAYS hurt in some capacity, and that, more than anything, has set him back. He's the same player in that regard that he was in Houston. If he pans out - GREAT! But I would be cautious on counting on him.

Yep. Can't depend on a guy who is always hurt.

Direckshun
11-07-2020, 11:59 AM
Has a decision been made?