PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Ten Things About Today's Game Week 9: KC 33 - CAR 31

gblowfish
11-08-2020, 05:18 PM
Ten Things About Today’s Game Week 9: KC 33 CAR 31

10. It’s been a very special weekend here at Stately Wayne Minor. We won’t get political, but Mrs B and I shared a hug on Saturday Morning. Then I got to watch my favorite Saturday Cartoon -KU Football- and Mizzou had a bye so they didn’t get into a brawl this week. It’s been in the low 70’s here for five days in a row. Great yard work weather, so yesterday and today I got up close and personal with my leaf blower and lawn mower and crunched and munched some seriously mountainous leaf piles. Strong coffee from my lucky Chiefs mug got me going. Got the last of the yard work done about a half hour before game time. Tony the Kitten likes watching me work in the yard from the open window through the screen. He’s getting big. Mrs. B had to work today, so I settled down in front of the Big Ass TV with some chips and dip, and put Mitch and Danan on the Chiefs Broadcast. Today was the first day I really felt some CoVid regret, as this would have been an absolutely perfect day to be at Arrowhead. It was windy, which affected the passing game and the kicking game. Wind got worse as the day wore on. Carolina is having a tough year. They’re one of those teams that have lots of talent, but haven’t found a way to win. They’ve now lost five of their last six games by one score. And although I’m relieved the Chiefs held on; this game was a nail biter and didn’t need to be. Lots of things that need to be fixed, and we’ll get into that.

9. Panthers Coach Matt Ruhle looked like he was sporting the old Todd Haley Hobo Living Under a Bridge look. His OC looked like a skinhead. And the whole team reeked of desperation from the opening coin flip. Carolina won the toss, and took the ball first. That’s unusual. Perhaps that was part of their plan to try to keep Patrick off the field. The first Carolina scoring drive took nine minutes, 15 plays and 75 yards. They dink and dunk on little circle routes and crossing routes better than most teams. That drive was sustained by two KC penalties -one on Chris Jones for hands to the face, the second a hold by Ward. Jones penalties personally gave Carolina ten points today. Ward will be replaced by J Sneed after the bye week. Chiefs had several penalties; not as many as Carolina, but all seemed to come at critical times to either sustain a Panthers drive or snuff a KC drive. Carolina has 12 penalties, which shows an undisciplined team; and their clock management in the first half was abysmal. They were out of time outs by the eight minute mark in the 2nd quarter, but they did manage to control the ball most of the first half and eat TOP. They ended up with the ball 38 mins to KC 22 mins.

8. Adding to the desperation theme, first big play of the second quarter was a perfectly executed fake punt. Panthers did to us exactly what we did to the Jets last week. That sustained the second Panthers drive, and they got out to a 14-3 lead. They ended up going in at the half with a 17-13 lead. Now, Buttkicker was a leading actor in today’s drama. Mixed results. He hit a 55-yarder at a critical spot in the first half to keep the Chiefs close. But he whiffed on another field goal badly and ended up 2 of 3 on field goal attempts. He also missed his sixth XPA of the year with a double doink job. That miss caused all the fourth quarter stress. He’s coming closer to blowing a game. Hope we don’t have another Kicker Who Will Remain Nameless situation on our hands coming down the second half of the year as the weather gets worse. Carolina’s punter doinked a 51 yard field goal attempt in the third quarter, which ended up being the real momentum swinger in the game. Can’t hold the last second miss against him. Not even a Tom Dempsey mule kick would have made that one with the swirling wind situation.

7. I’m beginning to worry about the KC running game. 36 yards is unacceptable when you spend a first round pick on a running back. CEH did catch a nice TD pass…exact same play where he dropped one earlier in the year. Lev Bell was no factor, which is also disappointing. KC gave up 69 yards to McCaffrey, but held him in check for most of the second half except for an easy one yard TD carry late in the game for Carolina’s last score. Too little too late. Bridgewater is under rated as a leader. Guy passed for over 300 yards with 2 TD tosses and ran for a third. He also picked up a gutsy 4th and long in the fourth quarter. Sustaining that drive got the Panthers back within two points. They hung tough the whole game, but more stupid desperation coaching decisions doomed them.

6. The other whiff of desperation was trying two onside kicks in the second half. Both were poorly executed. The first led to KC getting the ball on the Carolina 39 yard line and ended in Hill’s second TD of the day. The final onside was with a little under two minutes left in the game. Dirty Dan got the ball; the Chiefs actually lost yards, but punted down to the Carolina nine. Panthers had no timeouts and had to go about 60 yards to get into reasonable field goal range. If they kick deep and stop the Chiefs, they probably start from around their own 30 yard line and have a much better shot at a winning field goal attempt. I think the coach was thinking like John Harbaugh did with the Ravens here a couple years ago. Just rolled the dice and threw caution to the wind, so to speak. The wind won.

5. I wanted to reach into my Big Ass TV and choke Breeland in the fourth quarter. If you watch around the six minute mark, Breeland has a free shot at Bridgewater on a corner blitz, and whiffs. Bridgewater gets the pass away. Then on the next play they get the ball out to McCaffrey, Breeland comes up and is in perfect position, and can’t pull the man down or hold on until help can arrive; and gives up the first down to sustain a Carolina TD drive. Two face palm plays in a row. Seemed like Spags started shadowing McCaffrey with Dirty Dan in the second half. Dan laid a shot on him in the last minute of the game that took him out of the mix. Carolina has no threat at tight end, so getting McCaffrey off the field was big. Carolina came into the game third in the NFL in converting on third down. They were four of four on fourth down in this game. Again, lots of dice rolling by a desperate team.

4. This week the Chiefs used the Magic Mahomes Crunch to win. Patrick has been pretty damn good the last two weeks in a row. I was thinking in the third quarter when it was still 17-13 that I had no feeling of dread or panic. Patrick and Tyreek seemed to be off page the whole first half, but began to click in the second; especially on Hill’s first TD. He was crazy wide open. And Patrick was playing a big chunk of the second half behind a third string right tackle just elevated off the practice squad. Remmers got dinged up. Big play when Carolina held Remmers on a tackle eligible play. The guy had come back out after being hurt. He wasn’t going to be a pass target, but Carolina held him anyway. That sustained the drive for Hill’s second TD. Patrick set another NFL record for his Canton resume, being the fastest QB to 100 TDs in NFL History. We’re starting to take his greatness for granted. I sometimes have to pinch myself that this guy is our leader.

3. Today was the Travis Kelce Show. No TDs, but 10 catches for 159 yards -nearly 16 yards per catch- including getting the offense moving on several occasions. Carolina defense had no answer for 87. Robinson also had a nice TD catch, but Kelce and Hill won this game. All pro players come up big like this when you need them most.

2. Andy Reid moves into fifth place in all time wins by himself now, passing Curley Lambeau, namesake coach of the Green Bay Frozen Tundra. The bye is coming at a perfect time. Mitch the Kitch and Watkins were both missed today. I think Frank Clark’s knee is still gimpy. Jones groin is probably still sore. Sneed will get two more weeks to let his collarbone heal. Taco had an injury to I believe an ankle, and Hamilton a hamstring. At the halfway mark everybody has bumps and bruises. It’s supposed to be rainy and much colder next weekend, so it sounds like a good week to sit it out and watch the other teams beat each other up.

1. Nine weeks in the books, our only loss is to the Vegas Pawnbrokers who at the time of this writing are battling it out with Herbie and the Bolts. Donks got beat by the ATL and drop to 3-5. At the time of this writing, Cowboys are actually leading the Steelers, but I don’t expect that to hold. Ravens, Tits and Bills all managed to will today as well, so the horse race for the bye week continues to be tight. It’s going to be nice to have a week off, and nicer that Andy gets two weeks to prepare our revenge against those aforementioned Nevada Faiders. The Fade play the Donks next week, then get us as the National Sunday Night Game. That’s gotta be some stress on Chucky. Can’t wait to see it, and here’s to a great November and December conquest!

Easy 6
11-08-2020, 05:18 PM
IN

tonyetony
11-08-2020, 05:20 PM
ok

Bearcat
11-08-2020, 05:25 PM
I mean.... you don't actually watch Kansas football, right?

gblowfish
11-08-2020, 05:26 PM
I mean.... you don't actually watch Kansas football, right?

I do. I religiously watch every game and Tivo it too. It cheers me up.

Easy 6
11-08-2020, 05:29 PM
I'm not too worked up about #7 yet, as per seeming tradition this line is constantly playing shuffleboard

Throw in that it just looked to my eyes like they usually had the right defensive call in at the right time to stymie our run... they played hard and mostly guessed right along the way

CEH is a league leader in several categories, and Bell only got 5 touches... Carolina just played us tough

LOVED how Sorenson cranked CMC's neck all out of whack and sent him to the bench as well

KCWolfpack
11-08-2020, 05:30 PM
I do. I religiously watch every game and Tivo it too. It cheers me up.

Mizzou fan?

Papi
11-08-2020, 05:30 PM
"He also picked up a gutsy 4th and long in the fourth quarter."

That was more of Ben Niewomann giving up the first down than Bridgewater earning it.

wheeler08
11-08-2020, 05:31 PM
I don’t know why we’ve totally abandoned the run after we dominated Buffalo. It’s as if that game never happened

Deberg_1990
11-08-2020, 05:32 PM
The run game is ok for now.

CEH is a guy who can’t get 20+ touches every week. He will break down.

I’m disappointed in Bell for now. He hasn’t done much of anything.

Deberg_1990
11-08-2020, 05:34 PM
I don’t know why we’ve totally abandoned the run after we dominated Buffalo. It’s as if that game never happened

I think it’s a case of whatever the defense gives us we take. Defenses pick their poison. This week the Panthers shut down the run.

Coach
11-08-2020, 05:34 PM
Mizzou fan?

Believe he is, yes.

DRM08
11-08-2020, 05:37 PM

When the run game is getting 1-2 yards per carry, that's not smart to keep forcing it. You have Mahomes as the QB.

PHOG
Thanks gb for the write up :thumb: Taco had a lower leg fracture. :(

Halfcan
Another great write up!

9 TD's and no Int's for Mahomes in the last 2 weeks- amazing!

Buttkicker sucks and can't be trusted. I get nervous every time he comes in. He cost us 4 points today. 6 Extra Point misses for the season is pathetic. We are probably stuck with him this year.

Jones was awful today. Probably his worst game.

Dirty Dan is the only one hitting out there. He is having an ALL Pro season.

Wylie continues to be terrible. This O line worries me, Mahomes took a couple of shots today due to missed blocks. It is hurting our running game as well.

Hopefully, Sammy comes back soon and this team gets healthy after the Bye week.

Sofa King
11-08-2020, 05:45 PM
Mahomes really struggled hitting Tyreek consistently. I know Hill dropped one or two, but he was also open a couple times and Mahomes just missed him.

It's all good though, it all worked out.

ChiefsFanatic
11-08-2020, 05:52 PM
We are not getting rid of Butker. He is experiencing growing pains with a new holder. Does it suck that he keeps missing? Yes, but he will get it together.

I think Reid is content to save Bell for the stretch run and playoffs. We have a pretty complicated scheme, and Bell is learning. And unfortunately, he has been hit immediately on 2 or 3 plays because our offensive line seems to have a collective brain fart when Bell touches the ball.

Dirty Dan is having a borderline pro-bowl season, but he is not playing at an All Pro level. Not even close.

Today was a tough day for the entire defense, but I thought that Breeland, Ward, and the HB all had a really bad game. This could be the worst game Mathieu has played as a Kansas City Chief.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Easy 6
11-08-2020, 05:52 PM
When the run game is getting 1-2 yards per carry, that's not smart to keep forcing it. You have Mahomes as the QB.

THIS.. with 15 around don't pound your head into a brick wall if you dont have to

Graystoke
11-08-2020, 06:30 PM
Good read George.
I would like to see Bell start to make an impact but the O-line needs to step up

TwistedChief
11-08-2020, 06:42 PM
Great write-up as always, sir.

I'm not remotely concerned about the run game. When Mahomes can do what he did today, we don't need to run. When he can't, we need to run, and we do.

We're toying with teams and I think we'll be better off for it.

htismaqe
11-08-2020, 06:49 PM
Great write-up as always, sir.

I'm not remotely concerned about the run game. When Mahomes can do what he did today, we don't need to run. When he can't, we need to run, and we do.

We're toying with teams and I think we'll be better off for it.

Yep.

mnchiefsguy
11-08-2020, 06:49 PM
The bye week will give Bell some time to get better integrated into the offense.

Last couple of weeks teams have sold out to stop the run. I expect Vegas to try to repeat what they did last time we played. With Andy having extra time to prepare, we should have an answer for it.

Rexx
11-08-2020, 06:54 PM
Wylie needs to be replaced, he has been horrible and is going to get Mahomes hurt. I have been watching him closely the last 3 games and I'm shocked at what I see.

ROYC75
11-08-2020, 06:54 PM
Good read George.
I would like to see Bell start to make an impact but the O-line needs to step up

That will happen when the OL gets healthy!

teedubya
11-08-2020, 07:00 PM
You realize that Saturday morning hug will be nullified due to cheating, right? hahaha

bsp4444
11-08-2020, 07:00 PM
Why didn’t Kilgore play?

keg in kc
11-08-2020, 07:02 PM
I wouldn't worry about the running game. The last two weeks they all but abandoned it because they felt the opponent's pass defense was the greater liability. And they were 100% right.

htismaqe
11-08-2020, 07:02 PM
Why didn’t Kilgore play?

He's not the starter.

siberian khatru
11-08-2020, 07:05 PM
That’s a good one, George. No. 4 in particular. It’s still kinda weird to know that we’ve always got the trump card in every game.

gblowfish
11-08-2020, 07:20 PM
You realize that Saturday morning hug will be nullified due to cheating, right? hahaha

Mrs B would never cheat on me! Shame on you...

Stryker
11-08-2020, 07:22 PM
Great recap as always George! This was way too close for comfort. With 4 minutes left in the 4th I was already ready for this game to just end already. When it came down to the .02 and a 68 yard FG attempt, I knew we had a victory. No way in hell was he going to make that. Thank God for the win and 2 weeks to prepare for Chucky revenge game nationally! #runitback :thumb:

Stryker
11-08-2020, 07:23 PM
P.S.

Love the miles on the lucky coffee mug!

Buehler445
11-08-2020, 07:41 PM
Good read, George.

Last week I commented that it's like a surreal dream that Mahomes is our QB. He's the best I've seen and the gap is widening. Substantially.

Bell isn't that great. He hasn't been great in awhile. And it bears out that Shitsburgh's OL was good. And they were allowed to hold. A lot. Plus, I think anyone watching the Cowbitches game, they get a ton of calls. Cowbitches are a big market, marquee team (in terms of viewership) and the refs had no qualms about fucking them hard. Bell benefitted from all that. Expecting Bell to fix the run game is folly. As I've been on record a TON, in most cases (Jamaal Charles/Barry Sanders type players excluded) running games are won on the OL. That isn't aimed at you, just a PSA type rant.

Excellent point about the bye. I think everyone can use it. And it's not like we're rolling hard and we're worried about losing steam. Let's get healed up and rock shit in the second half.

PS, I'd give my left nut for a rainy weekend. It's bone ass dry here and not a damned thing in the 10 day. Just wind. It's been sustained 40 for like 40 hours. Barf.

InChiefsHeaven
11-08-2020, 08:14 PM
Kinda frustrating game. Defense looked horrible and Jones was a dumbass. But...I do believe that Carolina has some SERIOUS talent, especially at WR and of course the White Wonder McCaffrey. They are good. Bridgewater's 4th down conversion was...special. He did a nice job. This was a tough game, and it's good to see that the Chiefs found a way.

God Bless brutha. There was no hugging on Saturday morning in my house, but we're fine...

htismaqe
11-08-2020, 08:17 PM
Kinda frustrating game. Defense looked horrible and Jones was a dumbass. But...I do believe that Carolina has some SERIOUS talent, especially at WR and of course the White Wonder McCaffrey. They are good. Bridgewater's 4th down conversion was...special. He did a nice job. This was a tough game, and it's good to see that the Chiefs found a way.

God Bless brutha. There was no hugging on Saturday morning in my house, but we're fine...

Carolina has the best 1-2 WR's in the game right now. Two guys ranked in the top 10.

Red Dawg
11-08-2020, 08:21 PM
Breeland. Glad I'm not the only that saw hos pathetic tackling ability. Widded on Teddy and bounced of Ed twice on the final drive.

InChiefsHeaven
11-08-2020, 08:24 PM
Carolina has the best 1-2 WR's in the game right now. Two guys ranked in the top 10.
I saw that. Interesting. It shows they are up and coming. Bridgwater was excellent all day. They are going to be a good unit if they get their defense in order.

Hammock Parties
11-08-2020, 08:43 PM
Chiefs lost TOP by 16 minutes today. LMAO

Fucking Mahomes, it don't matta!!!

srvy
11-08-2020, 08:44 PM
Wylie needs to be replaced, he has been horrible and is going to get Mahomes hurt. I have been watching him closely the last 3 games and I'm shocked at what I see.

Wiz still available? If there is anything left in the tank I would think Veach would be in contact. I have a feeling he is so banged up he probably won't be any better than what we have.

jdubya
11-08-2020, 09:11 PM
Raiders scored 40

Panthers scored 31

Not sustainable for another super bowl IMO

htismaqe
11-08-2020, 09:16 PM
Raiders scored 40

Panthers scored 31

Not sustainable for another super bowl IMO

Before today, the Chiefs had the #3 scoring defense in the league.

They have the highest point differential in the league by almost 3 touchdowns.

Absolutely not only sustainable but the favorite to win it all.

jdubya
11-08-2020, 09:21 PM
Before today, the Chiefs had the #3 scoring defense in the league.

They have the highest point differential in the league by almost 3 touchdowns.

Absolutely not only sustainable but the favorite to win it all.

Ya OK

htismaqe
11-08-2020, 09:22 PM
Ya OK

Look, I'm not saying they don't have things to clean up. They do.

But they're absolutely the most complete team in the league and it's really not even close.

Red Dawg
11-08-2020, 09:24 PM
Chiefs lost TOP by 16 minutes today. LMAO

****ing Mahomes, it don't matta!!!

Proved again to be elite. Carried the team with his arm. No running game.

Hammock Parties
11-08-2020, 09:25 PM
We're averaging 32 per game and Sammy Watkins ain't done shit this year. LMAO

Man I love this team. Just a bunch of demons who can't be stopped rite nao!!!

jdubya
11-08-2020, 09:30 PM
We're averaging 32 per game and Sammy Watkins ain't done shit this year. LMAO

Man I love this team. Just a bunch of demons who can't be stopped rite nao!!!

But Raiders

TribalElder
11-08-2020, 10:33 PM
Looking forward to systematically wrecking the punk ass raiders after a week off

lets go win another superbowl, that would be fun!

oldman
11-08-2020, 11:11 PM
Fine stuff as ususal, George.
Buttkicker's missed FG looked like he tried to correct too much for the wind. The XP thing is starting to bother me. Just out of curiousity, how many of those 6 have been missed at home? At least half?
There was some serious disconnect between Hill and PMII during the 1st half. Again, it could have been the wind, or maybe we just took the Panther D a little too lightly.
What we need right now is a bye to get our guys healthy. Playing musical chairs on the OL makes it tough to get some kind of rhythm in the run game.

Marcellus
11-09-2020, 11:08 AM
Nice write up George.

FYI Kelce is now 3rd in the NFL in receiving yards at 769 yards already.

He is behind only DK Metcalf and Stephan Diggs.

TEX
11-09-2020, 11:08 AM
Proved again to be elite. Carried the team with his arm. No running game.

About that "running" game. It was TOTAL FAIL! They never even tried to establish one, except when everyone knew they would try to run out the clock. Almost gave the game away in the process. I'm a Reid supporter, always have been. IMO, he has one of the best offensive minds in the game. However, just when I think that he is over that kind of shit clock management, the end of yesterday's game reminded me that it can resurface at any time.

Hammock Parties
11-09-2020, 11:11 AM
Nice write up George.

And Tyreek with the quietest 9 TDs ever.

All our studs are just sneaky good. :LOL:

Munson
11-09-2020, 11:13 AM
Nice write up George.

It's gonna be his 5th 1,000 yard season in a row!

htismaqe
11-09-2020, 11:56 AM
About that "running" game. It was TOTAL FAIL! They never even tried to establish one, except when everyone knew they would try to run out the clock. Almost gave the game away in the process. I'm a Reid supporter, always have been. IMO, he has one of the best offensive minds in the game. However, just when I think that he is over that kind of shit clock management, the end of yesterday's game reminded me that it can resurface at any time.

It's Reid. There's going to be 4 or 5 more games this season, guaranteed, where they don't even try to run the ball.

It's been that way even before Mahomes, going back to Philly.

Hammock Parties
11-09-2020, 11:58 AM
It's Reid. There's going to be 4 or 5 more games this season, guaranteed, where they don't even try to run the ball.

RPOs and bubble screens are Andy's runs in these gameplans, anyway.

He knows exactly what he's doing.

htismaqe
11-09-2020, 12:01 PM
RPOs and bubble screens are Andy's runs in these gameplans, anyway.

He knows exactly what he's doing.

Well, he's leaving it up to Mahomes and that's a good thing most of the time.

It was a problem yesterday when Pat pulled the ball out and got nailed for a 6-yard loss. Got to have a better handle on game and clock situation.

Shiver Me Timbers
11-09-2020, 12:05 PM
................Great yard work weather, so yesterday and today I got up close and personal with my leaf blower and lawn mower and crunched and munched some seriously mountainous leaf piles............ Got the last of the yard work done about a half hour before game time.............

That's funny. I did the EXACT same thing and was done 40 min before game time. I had to use the leaf blower on my mower, shoes, and pants after mulching. It was almost like I was coated in pollen. Sneeze city for a couple of hours after completion.

Great Read as Always. Thanks for doing it each week

Megatron96
11-09-2020, 12:12 PM

I think the problems with the running game are more about the OL. I would question the decision to put Reiter back at C, but let’s be honest; we’re playing 3 backups in place of starters right now. And you can easily say that the only actual starter on our OL was Fisher yesterday. We had similar injury issues early on the OL last year and the results were similar.

htismaqe
11-09-2020, 12:16 PM
I think the problems with the running game are more about the OL. I would question the decision to put Reiter back at C, but let’s be honest; we’re playing 3 backups in place of starters right now. And you can easily say that the only actual starter on our OL was Fisher yesterday. We had similar injury issues early on the OL last year and the results were similar.

It's easy to blame the OL but go back and look at the carry stats under Reid.

Even when Hunt was leading the league in rushing, it was a problem. From week 6 to week 12 of 2017, Hunt had one game with 20 or more carries. He had THREE games with just 9.

Reid is just not a guy that consistently commits to the run.

Bwana
11-09-2020, 12:50 PM
Well done George. Our kicker had definitely put the excitment back into the the extra point, which is a bad thing.

Halfcan
11-09-2020, 01:40 PM
It's gonna be his 5th 1,000 yard season in a row!

Kelce will be moving into the Top 10 soon.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask?q=most+yards+by+a+tight+end+all-time

Buehler445
11-09-2020, 02:07 PM
Nice write up George.

Woah.

Megatron96
11-09-2020, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the write up again,GB.

By the way, Frank Clark had a sack, two quarterback hits, and two tackles, including a TFL.