PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Not going for 2....

petegz28
11-09-2020, 01:46 PM
Twice yesterday you would have thought it was a situation to go for 2. When we scored the first TD if you go for 2 and get it then it's a tie game.

Too early? Okay....

When we scored our last two TD's we should have gone for 2 at least once. You make it a 3 pt game if you get it otherwise it's a 1 or 2 pt game which is insignificant.

It all came down to a 67 yard field goal attempt that in the past some lucky **** would have made against us.

Yesterday was not a great game for any aspect of the team until the offense finally started moving.

Too many missed chances.
Too many penalties on defense.
Too many 3rd down conversions allowed.
Too many 4th down conversions allowed.
Getting burned on a fake punt.
Bad clock management at the end of the 1st half.
Terrible game from Breeland.

It took a Mahomes-Kelce-Hill effort to eek out what should have never have been a close game. These games happen and in the past we have been on the wrong side of the score. This wasn't the Raiders game where we were playing a division opponent and the Refs. This was us beating us in every aspect of the game for about 45 minutes.

Happy we got the win but hopefully the bye week wakes up a bit.

Pasta Little Brioni
11-09-2020, 01:47 PM
Absolutely not. Fine decisions. You're up 8, you don't go for 2. Fail and they tie with a TD and conversion.

htismaqe
11-09-2020, 01:48 PM
Absolutely not. Fine decisions. You're up 8, you don't go for 2. Fail and they tie with a TD and conversion.

Yep.

wazu
11-09-2020, 01:48 PM
We should go for 2 every time.

Monticore
11-09-2020, 01:50 PM

it might become the go to option if Butker keeps sucking.

petegz28

Yeah but the way it came down it was a matter of making a FG for the win. I'd rather them tie be it with a FG or a TD and Conversion rather than lose by 1 on a FG.

ModSocks
WTF are you talking about.

The problem wasn't the Chiefs. The problem is YOU not giving the Panthers enough credit.

I said it weeks ago, the Panthers are really close to being a playoff contender. They played hard yesterday and made some great plays. The Chiefs defense struggles a little bit when a team can run the ball AND get vertical with speedy wide outs.

That's all there is to it.

Pasta Little Brioni
11-09-2020, 01:51 PM
That kick had absolutely no chance of ever being good. They could have at least did a hook and ladder or some shit

petegz28
it might become the go to option if Butker keeps sucking.

That's an entirely separate debate but I don't thin you're far off. Dude is becoming suspect.

ModSocks
Yeah but the way it came down it was a matter of making a FG for the win. I'd rather them tie be it with a FG or a TD and Conversion rather than lose by 1 on a FG.

If the Chiefs don't go 3 and out on the last series there's no FG attempt.

Pasta Little Brioni
11-09-2020, 01:52 PM

You are making absolutely zero sense. They were forced to score twice in a very short time frame and we saw how that worked out.

petegz28
11-09-2020, 01:52 PM
That kick had absolutely no chance of ever being good. They could have at least did a hook and ladder or some shit

It wasn't good from 67. A flag, a busted play or something and they are kicking it from 37. Just saying that you had 3 spots where I think you should have gone for 2 at least once.

DaFace
11-09-2020, 01:53 PM
In case you haven't noticed, we aren't a great short-yardage team. Going for 2 is a very risky option.

Pasta Little Brioni
11-09-2020, 01:54 PM
It wasn't good from 67. A flag, a busted play or something and they are kicking it from 37. Just saying that you had 3 spots where I think you should have gone for 2 at least once.

Nah. They made the right decision EVERY time. You always take the option for a 2 score lead

DaFace

The problem wasn't the Chiefs. The problem is YOU not giving the Panthers enough credit.

I said it weeks ago, the Panthers are really close to being a playoff contender. They played hard yesterday and made some great plays. The Chiefs defense struggles a little bit when a team can run the ball AND get vertical with speedy wide outs.

It's like everyone overlooked the fact that they've been without arguably their best player all season.

petegz28
In case you haven't noticed, we aren't a great short-yardage team. Going for 2 is a very risky option.

Meh, I'll take my chances with Mahomes as long as the play call isn't an Andy "cutsie" special.

DaFace
11-09-2020, 01:55 PM
Meh, I'll take my chances with Mahomes as long as the play call isn't an Andy "cutsie" special.

The "cutsie" specials have been the way we've been scoring down there lately. Straight-up runs between the tackles are nonexistent for a reason.

petegz28
11-09-2020, 01:56 PM
The "cutsie" specials have been the way we've been scoring down there lately. Straight-up runs between the tackles are nonexistent for a reason.

I didn't say run. I said Mahomes. Now if that means Mahomes runs it in on a scramble then fine.

petegz28
11-09-2020, 01:57 PM

And by cutsie play I mean some play where you throw the ball 4 yards behind the line and get blown up.

Why Not?
11-09-2020, 02:01 PM

Also in his career Teddy Bridgewater has one of the highest percentages of covering the spread in games he starts over the last decade. Even if you’re not a gambler, the take away there is he keeps games close. Would I want to pin my championship hopes on him? No, but dude is a gamer and knows how to give his team a chance to win.

htismaqe
11-09-2020, 02:01 PM

If's and but's.

Pasta Little Brioni
11-09-2020, 02:04 PM
They actually attempted a kick from 67 ROFL Ithink that's the sad takeaway here.

-King-
11-09-2020, 02:04 PM
And by cutsie play I mean some play where you throw the ball 4 yards behind the line and get blown up.

Let's be honest, we only call it an "Andy cutesy play" if it fails. Both the Robinson and the CEH touchdowns would have been called cutesy plays if they didn't work.

wazu
11-09-2020, 02:07 PM

We have a 100% success rate so far this year. Can't say the same for extra points.

Lzen
11-09-2020, 02:10 PM
Some head coaches don't believe in "chasing points". Andy Reid is one of them. And I agree.

Marcellus
11-09-2020, 02:10 PM
I was waiting for Pete to make this thread. :p

O.city
11-09-2020, 02:12 PM
I think they did it right. Hindsight, yeah a 2 pointer in one of those situations makes it a 10 point game, but when you're up 8 you take the 1 and make it a two score game.

petegz28
Let's be honest, we only call it an "Andy cutesy play" if it fails. Both the Robinson and the CEH touchdowns would have been called cutesy plays if they didn't work.

Yeah, no....

petegz28
I was waiting for Pete to make this thread. :p

Of course you were. But several people and I wanna include you but I could be wrong, said I was right about going for 2 yesterday.

FloridaMan88
The moment of truth scenario will be if the Chiefs are down 7 at the end of a game and score a TD with the opportunity to kick an extra point/tie and go to OT or can go for two and win.

Which probability do you trust more in that clutch scenario... Mahomes leading a 2 point conversion or Butker making an extra point?

htismaqe
11-09-2020, 02:13 PM
We have a 100% success rate so far this year. Can't say the same for extra points.

Sample size.

wazu
11-09-2020, 02:17 PM
Sample size.

I agree with you that we should take more samples.

htismaqe
11-09-2020, 02:18 PM
I agree with you that we should take more samples.

More samples will equal more failures. They're not going to convert 100% if they keep trying it.

wazu
11-09-2020, 02:20 PM
More samples will equal more failures. They're not going to convert 100% if they keep trying it.

Doesn't need to be 100%. 50% would result in more points, because we don't hit anywhere near 100% of our extra points. Go back past couple of years we haven't finished below 50%. Also, we have the most amazing offense in the history of the NFL.

htismaqe
11-09-2020, 02:25 PM
Doesn't need to be 100%. 50% would result in more points, because we don't hit anywhere near 100% of our extra points. Go back past couple of years we haven't finished below 50%. Also, we have the most amazing offense in the history of the NFL.

We also have one of the best FG kickers in the game and his slump right now may be temporary.

Chasing points is extremely risky business, it very rarely works out the way you think.

wazu
11-09-2020, 02:49 PM
We also have one of the best FG kickers in the game and his slump right now may be temporary.

Chasing points is extremely risky business, it very rarely works out the way you think.

Don't chase points. Just go for 2 right out of the gate and keep doing it.

TribalElder
11-09-2020, 02:50 PM
Wouldn't need to go for 2 points if Buttker would just make his extra points

Megatron96
11-09-2020, 02:52 PM
Yesterday is one of those times when I think it might’ve been better to go for two instead of one, simply because it got very windy out there. Anytime you have rain, wind, snow, or any combination of the above, it can make the kicking game a lot more risky. And we saw at least one of those kicks, I don’t remember who kicked it, but it started in one direction and then started to veer in the other direction before I got halfway there.

Otherwise it just doesn’t really make sense to go for two on every single conversion.

Lzen
11-09-2020, 02:54 PM
The moment of truth scenario will be if the Chiefs are down 7 at the end of a game and score a TD with the opportunity to kick an extra point/tie and go to OT or can go for two and win.

Which probability do you trust more in that clutch scenario... Mahomes leading a 2 point conversion or Butker making an extra point?

Butker has been clutch when needed to be clutch. ;)

TRR
11-09-2020, 03:01 PM
With 2:42 to play, you kick the extra point and go up 9 points. You make it a two score game and every single time. Going for 2 makes zero sense in that situation.

Hammock Parties
11-09-2020, 03:06 PM

No fucking way.

This team's power running game is still ass. We can't afford to burn short-yardage plays on frivolous 2-point conversions.

mnchiefsguy
11-09-2020, 03:06 PM

Panthers barely lost to both the Bucs and the Saints and have been competitive all season. This team could be a playoff team next year, despite being in a division with Brees and Brady.

The Chiefs could have played better.. absolutely...but the Panthers left it all out on the field. It was obviously their Super Bowl.

I could see going for two to tie the game in the first half....but no way do you go for two at the end. 9 points lead requires two scores--you do not want to take a chance and only be up 8.

Jewish Rabbi
11-09-2020, 03:11 PM
Pete do you like one or two fingers up your butthole???

mililo4cpa
11-09-2020, 04:33 PM
I don't know the right answer, but Andy never chases the points until absolutely necessary, yesterday's game included.

I, for one, like this approach, because it just seems like if you miss on it early, it almost forces you to keep trying later on, and it eventually cost you in the long run.

Maybe it doesn't change the outcome of the game, but if Andy goes for the attempt yesterday when the Chiefs pulled to 14-12, and miss it, then the Panthers score another TD and XP, then they're down 9.....and let's remember that at that point in the game, the Panthers were 2 for 2 on drives for TD (albeit, throwing every trick they had at it).

I think the risk reward early is too great early on, at least for most teams that don't have the best QB in the world, and if you do have the best QB in the world, that one point isn't going to matter much in 95% of the games....

TEX
11-09-2020, 04:40 PM
With that swirling wind, and the way Buttkicker kicks extra points, I'd have sure gone for two at least once yesterday.

BWillie
11-09-2020, 04:51 PM

<3

lcarus
11-09-2020, 05:01 PM

I'm ok with this. Except in the scenario where an extra point makes it a 9 point deficit late in the game.

If it was the first half or something, it might be appropriate to go for 2 to make it a 10 point deficit. I feel the same way if you're behind by 8 early in the game. Not really necessary to try to tie the game with a 2 point conversion with 10 minutes left in the 2nd quarter.

-King-
11-09-2020, 05:02 PM
Yeah, no....

A play where the quarterback does in motion and a fake end around play action isn't cutesy? LMAO

Hammock Parties
11-09-2020, 05:10 PM
Quite frankly I'm annoyed Andy has burned a fake punt and a Mahomes-in-motion short-yardage play on two shit opponents.

I'm sure he must have some REALLY insane shit saved for the playoffs, though.

In Andy We Trust.

petegz28
11-09-2020, 05:12 PM
A play where the quarterback does in motion and a fake end around play action isn't cutesy? LMAO

I'm sorry what part of no is it that's tripping you up? The N? Or the O?

Why Not?
11-09-2020, 05:15 PM
Quite frankly I'm annoyed Andy has burned a fake punt and a Mahomes-in-motion short-yardage play on two shit opponents.

In Andy We Trust.

The more I thought about it, the more I realized the fake punt was only going to be used in an “easy” game. In a must win or against a worthy foe, no way you’re taking Mahomes off the field. I’m sure we’d all take Mahomes and company vs the surprise of a fake punt attempt any day and Andy would to. I think he threw Toub a bone.

wazu
11-09-2020, 05:16 PM

In Andy We Trust.

What we don't know is how many of those things are designed to specifically exploit tendencies of specific opponents.

Shaid
11-09-2020, 05:16 PM
I'm generally in the camp of you don't go for 2 until you have to. The way FGs and TDs play out, many times it ends up being a bad call to have tried it.

notorious
11-09-2020, 05:28 PM
It's a no brainer to make it 9.

This is basic football.

eDave
11-09-2020, 05:29 PM
I felt it was too early but it loomed for quite a while.

Spott
11-09-2020, 05:36 PM
Normally I would say go for 1 to make it a two score game, but it’s getting to where I think this offense has a just as much chance of converting a two point conversion as they do kicking the XP. Butker is pretty fortunate right now that he’s missed 6 XP’s and not 6 30 yard FG’s.

-King-
11-09-2020, 05:48 PM
I'm sorry what part of no is it that's tripping you up? The N? Or the O?

So what kind of play would you call cutesy if that's not?

Jewish Rabbi
11-09-2020, 06:02 PM

In Andy We Trust.

I don’t really think that fake punt was “burned.” Nothing special or tricky about that play, they just exploited a flaw they had seen on film of the blocker not looking into the backfield before he sprinted back.

mlyonsd
11-09-2020, 06:02 PM
It's a no brainer to make it 9.

This is basic football.
This.

IowaHawkeyeChief
11-09-2020, 06:10 PM

^this^

Yesterday's misses all came on the same end, that wind was crazy swirling, each teams kick on that end was an adventure with the ball moving right to left 10-15 yards.

The PAT miss was even a double doinker, it was as close as it gets, without going in... Butker will be fine, he will finish strong. JMO

petegz28
11-09-2020, 06:15 PM
^this^

Yesterday's misses all came on the same end, that wind was crazy swirling, each teams kick on that end was an adventure with the ball moving right to left 10-15 yards.

The PAT miss was even a double doinker, it was as close as it gets, without going in... Butker will be fine, he will finish strong. JMO

Personally I thought we should have gone for 2 on the first TD. You miss it then you're down by 2 instead of 1. You get it and you tie the game and essentially tell the Panthers all their trick plays and going for it on 4th down and such just got them a 0-0 game. Plus we really had them on their heels that drive and had some momentum going.

Molitoth
11-09-2020, 06:55 PM
Personally I thought we should have gone for 2 on the first TD. You miss it then you're down by 2 instead of 1. You get it and you tie the game and essentially tell the Panthers all their trick plays and going for it on 4th down and such just got them a 0-0 game. Plus we really had them on their heels that drive and had some momentum going.

I agree with you here.

Chief Pagan
11-09-2020, 07:22 PM
The more I thought about it, the more I realized the fake punt was only going to be used in an “easy” game. In a must win or against a worthy foe, no way you’re taking Mahomes off the field. I’m sure we’d all take Mahomes and company vs the surprise of a fake punt attempt any day and Andy would to. I think he threw Toub a bone.

I was happy to see the fake punt in an easy game. It might give Andy a little more confidence to try the fake punt in a more critical situation. And it is one more thing for opponents to worry about.

Right before KC gave up the fake punt conversion, I told my buddy they should worry about the fake punt because of field position and them being aggressive. I was annoyed that was more apparent to me than it was to the team.

Chief Pagan
11-09-2020, 07:26 PM
If the analytics say you can average more points going for 2 than going for 1, then I think you should at least think about that being the default choice.

Fair point made above about using up short yardage scoring plays, though.

petegz28
11-09-2020, 09:01 PM
If the analytics say you can average more points going for 2 than going for 1, then I think you should at least think about that being the default choice.

Fair point made above about using up short yardage scoring plays, though.

I'm typically not a fan of going for 2 unless you need too late in the game. The way this game was going though I thought we should have gone for it to tie the game at 14. But later in the game I thought we should have tried at least once. I understand keeping it a 9 point game as it makes it a 2 score game but the way that game was going and the way our defense was playing I thought we needed to have a 3pt lead because they were moving the ball up and down the field most of the game with ease. Keeping them out of FG range was something we didn't do a lot of all game long.

cabletech94
11-10-2020, 06:36 AM
Ban all kickers!!!