PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Yasir Durant

RealSNR
11-09-2020, 06:37 PM
...wasn't a total pile of AIDS when he had to play on Sunday!

Chiefs have rarely trusted either OT spot to rookies. Eric Fisher is the only guy of the Andy Reid era I can think of who even took any snaps his rookie year.

I know he played out of necessity, but here I was demanding that Andy invest in young swing tackles, and I always got blue balls'd when our supposed young promising undrafted rookie would get cut in training camp every year. This was kind of nice to see, even if it was the Panthers.

Anyway... think we got something here?

Why Not?
11-09-2020, 06:41 PM
He did okay for the situation. Waaaaaaay to small a sample size to make anything of it either way. Remember, you’re asking a fan base who acted like Terrance Mitchell was prime Champ Bailey after two games.

OKchiefs
11-09-2020, 06:44 PM
On the subject, why is Reiter back in the starting lineup? I couldn't watch the game, but I saw several references on Twitter to him looking poorly on several plays early on.

Megatron96
11-09-2020, 06:47 PM
On the subject, why is Reiter back in the starting lineup? I couldn't watch the game, but I saw several references on Twitter to him looking poorly on several plays early on.

Andy address this in an interview I guess today? I don’t know I saw it on arrowhead pride. I’d post a link or something, but I’m on my phone right now, and that’s just a lot of trouble for me. Maybe somebody else will be able to do it for you.

Anyway, Andy said that Reiter was looking better in practice, and he wanted to work him back in there.

ModSocks
11-09-2020, 06:53 PM
Andy address this in an interview I guess today? I don’t know I saw it on arrowhead pride. I’d post a link or something, but I’m on my phone right now, and that’s just a lot of trouble for me. Maybe somebody else will be able to do it for you.

Anyway, Andy said that Reiter was looking better in practice, and he wanted to work him back in there.

Sounds like Reid was sending a message to Reiter

OKchiefs
11-09-2020, 08:24 PM
Sounds like Reid was sending a message to Reiter

Then it doesn't look like he got the message

pugsnotdrugs19
11-09-2020, 08:25 PM
I thought he did a solid job but he was clearly pretty stiff out of his sets to where I’d be very nervous if he had to face a really quick pass rusher for a full game.

htismaqe
11-09-2020, 08:32 PM
I thought he did a solid job but he was clearly pretty stiff out of his sets to where I’d be very nervous if he had to face a really quick pass rusher for a full game.

Burns is no slouch. I thought Durant did okay all things considered.

lcarus
11-09-2020, 08:39 PM
He did pretty well from what I could tell

TLO
11-09-2020, 08:44 PM
Yasir!!

pugsnotdrugs19
11-09-2020, 08:49 PM
Burns is no slouch. I thought Durant did okay all things considered.

Agreed, so it was the play in this video at 2:04 that stuck in my head from that point on: https://youtu.be/_nTwo2iXpOg

Great result in the play thanks to Mahomes’ mobility, but I watched Durant off the snap and couldn’t help but to think damn... that took all he had to just somewhat ride Burns up the arc.

If he really pushed it with a big kickset, I don’t know that he can protect his inside half against spin moves or a good speed to power rush.

pugsnotdrugs19
11-09-2020, 08:51 PM
I just wanna throw this in here while we are at it, I think Eric Fisher might actually be a Pro Bowl caliber tackle this year. Top 2-3 in the AFC for me no question.

KChiefs1
11-09-2020, 09:15 PM
https://media4.giphy.com/media/KlFdtnpxEeH2E/giphy.gif

Pitt Gorilla
11-09-2020, 10:15 PM
I pimped the guy during the offseason, but dude is still a bit weak and stiff. If the Chiefs can get more out of him than Mizzou did, he'll be ok.

Remmers, though, looked pretty bad when I was paying attention.

DaneMcCloud
11-09-2020, 11:41 PM
I pimped the guy during the offseason, but dude is still a bit weak and stiff. If the Chiefs can get more out of him than Mizzou did, he'll be ok.

Remmers, though, looked pretty bad when I was paying attention.

I’m rewatching the game right now and while he only played less than a dozen snaps, Durant looked more than capable and played surprisingly well.

Yeah, Remmers is garbage.

JakeF
11-10-2020, 12:32 AM
Andy always wants to go back to "his" guys. He never wants to give up on guys. It takes forever.

The interior of our Oline is crappy. What makes it even worse is that Andy/Eric continue to run that delay right up the middle. Running right at the weakest part of our line is stupid. When we ran CEH on the edge he looked better.

We need to improve the interior of our Oline and start mixing it up and running on the edges too. Be less predictable in the running game.

Tribal Warfare
11-10-2020, 12:36 AM
Depends on what happens with Niang if he's going to replace Schwartz or become a LG/RG

JakeF
11-10-2020, 12:50 AM
Depends on what happens with Niang if he's going to replace Schwartz or become a LG/RG

We have no power inside, it's all finesse.

When the Colts drafted Quenton Nelson it helped their Oline a lot. If we add a Rodney Hudson and Quenton Nelson for our Oline and it isn't a weakness anymore and our run game becomes a strength.

Right now, Mahomes is getting hit way too often.

We need more fatties on the team.

Simply Red
11-10-2020, 01:07 AM
Then it doesn't look like he got the message

I will send him a dm on facebook - what do you want me to tell him?

Tribal Warfare
11-10-2020, 01:11 AM

When the Colts drafted Quenton Nelson it helped their Oline a lot. If we add a Rodney Hudson and Quenton Nelson for our Oline and it isn't a weakness anymore and our run game becomes a strength.

A Rankins emergence is a pipe dream now

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-10-2020, 02:58 AM
So we need to draft OL, OL, LB, OL, OL, CB, OL

KurtCobain
11-10-2020, 04:14 AM
I've been trying to tell you guys this is our tackle of the future for months now.

wheeler08
11-10-2020, 06:40 AM
I just wanna throw this in here while we are at it, I think Eric Fisher might actually be a Pro Bowl caliber tackle this year. Top 2-3 in the AFC for me no question.

Funny, I watching the game when the kid came in and I thought to myself, ya know I haven’t heard Fishers name called in a few weeks. And for Fisher, that’s really good. Considering the rotation of guys going on around him and not having a great guy next to him, you may be right

RealSNR
11-10-2020, 07:05 AM

You mean if we add a stud center and guard to two pretty good bookend OTs, our OL becomes a strength?

THANK YOU SO MUCH OH MY GOD WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT????

kcclone
11-10-2020, 07:34 AM
Thanks for being a pussy Niang

wheeler08
11-10-2020, 07:51 AM
Thanks for being a pussy Niang

You have to think these guys know that they’ve shot themselves in the foot, career wise. Williams, I can understand because of his mom. He has nothing left career wise, he was always just a Jag, and had a great super bowl run. Does he have a guaranteed spot here next year, maybe, maybe not.

Some of the guys for Patriots, they knew their season was gonna be shit, so why not take a year off. And they know they’ll be welcomed back after how bad their team is this year.

Some of these guys that were JAGs that opted out, that were on the fringe of being on a team anyway, I doubt they have jobs next year

But for a rookie coming in and opting out? Seems like career suicide to me. You’d think he’d be out of favor already. And after the offseason he’ll be competing with new rookies coming in that know the system just as well as he does. But who knows, maybe he’ll be a stud for years to come and no one will remember this.

Dunerdr
11-10-2020, 08:13 AM
You have to think these guys know that they’ve shot themselves in the foot, career wise. Williams, I can understand because of his mom. He has nothing left career wise, he was always just a Jag, and had a great super bowl run. Does he have a guaranteed spot here next year, maybe, maybe not.

Some of the guys for Patriots, they knew their season was gonna be shit, so why not take a year off. And they know they’ll be welcomed back after how bad their team is this year.

Some of these guys that were JAGs that opted out, that were on the fringe of being on a team anyway, I doubt they have jobs next year

But for a rookie coming in and opting out? Seems like career suicide to me. You’d think he’d be out of favor already. And after the offseason he’ll be competing with new rookies coming in that know the system just as well as he does. But who knows, maybe he’ll be a stud for years to come and no one will remember this.
This is what i thought initially, I have to assume with Niang that itll be kind of looked upon poorly by the mans man guys in the locker room, unless someone close to him was really a high risk person. Or maybe he really felt like he wasnt 100 percent from his surgery last year and opted to take a year to get strong and right.

O.city
11-10-2020, 09:15 AM
In a capped league, you've gotta cut a corner or two somewhere. The Chiefs have done it on the interior OL (minus LDT who got paid by the former GM). It's just gotta give somewhere.

They need to draft there for sure and get some high end cheap labor, but it just is what it is. They can scheme around it obviously, so it's not detrimental.

OKchiefs
11-10-2020, 09:25 AM
This is what i thought initially, I have to assume with Niang that itll be kind of looked upon poorly by the mans man guys in the locker room, unless someone close to him was really a high risk person. Or maybe he really felt like he wasnt 100 percent from his surgery last year and opted to take a year to get strong and right.

I'd like to think the team and him discussed together that it may be best considering he may not be fully healthy? Although I'm not sure a player would just willingly give up a year of salary in that scenario.

I can't hate too much on someone looking out for their health and well-being, but I can't help but question his drive and motivation to succeed. Guys knowingly put their lives on risk in any other year just by playing the game. Injuries happen all that time that a career or even life threatening. I'm more understanding of a veteran opting out, but a rookie doing so gives me question. I hope he proves me wrong, but I don't have much confidence in him going forward.

duncan_idaho
11-10-2020, 09:41 AM
I think Durant is a better fit at G long-term than tackle, but even getting solid depth contributions from him is a W, considering how he was acquired.

Not having Niang really hurts now that Schwartz is out, but cest la vie.

I’d really like to see Kilgore back in for Reiter. It made a big difference in the game he played.

ChiefBlueCFC
11-10-2020, 09:44 AM
Yasir did a pretty damn decent job at Mizzou and typically held his own in the SEC

Dunerdr
11-10-2020, 09:48 AM
I'd like to think the team and him discussed together that it may be best considering he may not be fully healthy? Although I'm not sure a player would just willingly give up a year of salary in that scenario.

I can't hate too much on someone looking out for their health and well-being, but I can't help but question his drive and motivation to succeed. Guys knowingly put their lives on risk in any other year just by playing the game. Injuries happen all that time that a career or even life threatening. I'm more understanding of a veteran opting out, but a rookie doing so gives me question. I hope he proves me wrong, but I don't have much confidence in him going forward.

Someone on twitter said he had re enrolled in school virtually but i never saw it confimed. Possible he wanted to get back to form and finish school? I'd like to give the guy the benefit of the doubt but it just rubs me wrong that someone walked away from good guaranteed money. But im a poor and have a hard time seeing it from someone elses shoes lol.

RealSNR
11-10-2020, 11:42 AM

I don't see how opting out is any different than Niang suffering an ACL tear or something like that at the beginning of training camp. In both scenarios, he doesn't really get to participate in much of an offseason, and the team is going to bring him back next year with expectations that he gets his butt playing well when healthy.

When he comes back, he'll pretty much be a rookie. That's how the Chiefs will probably treat it-- like they didn't have that draft pick last year and it got bumped to this year, where they took Niang. There's no reason to freak out and draft another dude as insurance in case he isn't good. If he isn't, or if that year off really hampered his potential, then it ain't like the Chiefs haven't been in this position before. Remember when Cam Erving was our swing tackle?

I guess I just don't see what other people see in terms of Niang harming his future NFL career by making this move. He's going to get the exact same opportunity he always had. And if Schwartz is getting long in the tooth (he might be) the Chiefs aren't going to look to any of these other shlubs on the squad as a replacement-- he'll be the first one to get a look.

htismaqe
11-10-2020, 11:46 AM
Guys, Niang was NOT going to play OT this season.

He had a severe hip injury that he had to rehab.

The Chiefs were going to start working him in at OG, THIRD STRING. Veach even said so after the draft.

He wasn't ever going to be an upgrade this year. He MIGHT be playing right now but only due to injuries and even then, he'd probably be shuffling in at OG.

DaneMcCloud
11-10-2020, 12:37 PM

Yep.

And if any NFL player actually benefited from COVID-19, it's Niang because he's been able to properly heal and rehab for a year before his rookie contract begins in March 2021.

htismaqe
11-10-2020, 12:41 PM
Yep.

And if any NFL player actually benefited from COVID-19, it's Niang because he's been able to properly heal and rehab for a year before his rookie contract begins in March 2021.

Yep. They get an extra year of control and the guy might actually be ready to play TACKLE by the time Schwartz and Fisher are gone.

It's actually a win for the Chiefs IMO.

Hydrae
11-10-2020, 02:25 PM
As much as we have struggled on the line this year a lot of that is injury. And remember, we should have LDT and Niang back next year and Rankins may be back this year. That is a nice influx of talent returning.

dlphg9
11-10-2020, 02:43 PM

I think it's funny how much everyone wanted to say Fisher sucked when Alex Smith was navigating the pocket, but now he looks like one of the best LTs in the league with our All-God QB Patrick Mahomes. Alex Smiths pocket presence was so bad that he would have made prime Willie Roaf look like Cam Erving.

OKchiefs
11-10-2020, 02:44 PM
As much as we have struggled on the line this year a lot of that is injury. And remember, we should have LDT and Niang back next year and Rankins may be back this year. That is a nice influx of talent returning.

LDT coming back isn't really a positive IMO. It would be best to move on.

JakeF
11-10-2020, 02:57 PM

The Chiefs were going to start working him in at OG, THIRD STRING. Veach even said so after the draft.

He wasn't ever going to be an upgrade this year. He MIGHT be playing right now but only due to injuries and even then, he'd probably be shuffling in at OG.
Then the Chiefs didn't do enough for the Oline this year. If Niang wasn't going to play then they needed to get another guy who could play this year.

htismaqe
11-10-2020, 03:00 PM
Then the Chiefs didn't do enough for the Oline this year. If Niang wasn't going to play then they needed to get another guy who could play this year.

Niang opted out in August. What were they supposed to do? I'm sure it caught them by surprise.

JakeF
11-10-2020, 03:06 PM
You mean if we add a stud center and guard to two pretty good bookend OTs, our OL becomes a strength?

THANK YOU SO MUCH OH MY GOD WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT????
Yea, smartass. If we added a couple of quality guy in the the interior of our Oline it would make our Offense much better.

You are trying to be a snarky asshole like that idea is so obvious but almost everyone around here didn't think we needed to improve our Oline. Everyone thought our Oline was already good enough at the start of the season.

Now, after the fact, the need is obvious.

You and your buddies all called me an idiot for saying that our offensive line wasn't good enough at the beginning of the year. I guess you guys were the idiots after all.

JakeF
11-10-2020, 03:07 PM
Niang opted out in August. What were they supposed to do? I'm sure it caught them by surprise.
The opt out wasn't the issue. You said his health was a problem and that he couldn't play.

htismaqe
11-10-2020, 03:12 PM
The opt out wasn't the issue. You said his health was a problem and that he couldn't play.

They obviously thought they had it covered. You have to remember, we've had a TON of injuries on the offensive line.

DaneMcCloud
11-10-2020, 03:20 PM
They obviously thought they had it covered. You have to remember, we've had a TON of injuries on the offensive line.

It's actually amazing that they're 8-1.

Allegretti, Remmers and Osemele have all started at Left Guard.

Reiter and Kilgore have started at Center.

Schwartz and Remmers have started at Right Tackle and Durant filled in last Sunday while Remmers was out.

The Chiefs have cycled through a lot of offensive linemen during Andy's tenure but I can't think of a less talented line than what's been fielded for the majority of the 2020 season, yet they're 9 points from an undefeated season.

RunKC
11-10-2020, 03:31 PM

Due to COVID it would was always going to be difficult for an OL not taken early to develop so they brought it in three vets: Osemele, Remmers and Kilgore.

That’s on top of having Wylie, Reiter and Allegretti as familiar faces who know the system. That’s also with knowing Rankin would come back in the 2nd half of the season, who also knows the offense.

Shit dude Veach also drafted Niang, Durant and D Williams as contingencies, more-so to develop for 2021.

AND Veach just brought back Witzmann as another contingency, who is likely similar to Wylie and Reiter, but knows the offense.

I get that you want us to upgrade the position (believe me I do too) but goddamn man. Veach has done a ton to try to prepare for this season.

Pitt Gorilla
11-10-2020, 03:32 PM
It's actually amazing that they're 8-1.

Allegretti, Remmers and Osemele have all started at Left Guard.

Reiter and Kilgore have started at Center.

Schwartz and Remmers have started at Right Tackle and Durant filled in last Sunday while Remmers was out.

The Chiefs have cycled through a lot of offensive linemen during Andy's tenure but I can't think of a less talented line than what's been fielded for the majority of the 2020 season, yet they're 9 points from an undefeated season.They're defensive communication away from an undefeated season. That game was all about breakdowns the secondary.

RunKC
11-10-2020, 03:34 PM
And yeah I really hope Veach cuts Witzmann and brings back Wiz. Just sit the guy and let him heal and be ready for the playoffs. He knows the system. He doesn’t even need to start if it’s not needed.

htismaqe
11-10-2020, 03:34 PM
They're defensive communication away from an undefeated season. That game was all about breakdowns the secondary.

Yep. Spags guessed wrong and the defense wasn't prepared. Nobody expected the Raiders to go bombs away like that.

Pitt Gorilla
11-10-2020, 03:35 PM
Due to COVID it would was always going to be difficult for an OL not taken early to develop so they brought it in three vets: Osemele, Remmers and Kilgore.

That’s on top of having Wylie, Reiter and Allegretti as familiar faces who know the system. That’s also with knowing Rankin would come back in the 2nd half of the season, who also knows the offense.

Shit dude Veach also drafted Niang, Durant and D Williams as contingencies, more-so to develop for 2021.

AND Veach just brought back Witzmann as another contingency, who is likely similar to Wylie and Reiter, but knows the offense.

I get that you want us to upgrade the position (believe me I do too) but goddamn man. Veach has done a ton to try to prepare for this season.Reiter improved a ton in the second half of last season as the line meshed and improved. Right now, if Schwartz can return to last season's technician, you basically need someone to step up at RG, even if that someone is improvement form Wylie.

RunKC
11-10-2020, 03:46 PM
Yep. Spags guessed wrong and the defense wasn't prepared. Nobody expected the Raiders to go bombs away like that.

I think the defense just played poorly too. Ward, Matheiu, Jones and Clark were just awful that game.

Hitchens was the only one that stood out that day surprisingly

htismaqe
11-10-2020, 03:49 PM
I think the defense just played poorly too. Ward, Matheiu, Jones and Clark were just awful that game.

Hitchens was the only one that stood out that day surprisingly

There were blown coverages everywhere. Sorenson, Matthieu, Ward, all of them had at least one big breakdown.

RealSNR
11-10-2020, 03:52 PM
There were blown coverages everywhere. Sorenson, Matthieu, Ward, all of them had at least one big breakdown.

Ward was especially poopy

Pitt Gorilla
11-10-2020, 03:53 PM
Again, though, if KC can harness the potential of Durant (including a body transformation that Mizzou, somehow, wasn't able to do), they deserve ALL the escalades.

O.city
11-10-2020, 03:56 PM
Getting Sneed back against the speedy WR's will help.

htismaqe
11-10-2020, 03:59 PM

2nd game back after the injury. He wasn't really tested against the Pats.

DaneMcCloud
11-10-2020, 04:01 PM

Ward had a really day against Robby Anderson on Sunday as well, as did Matheiu, who didn't match up well at all with him.

Between the three Chris Jones penalties that extended drives along with the secondary's play against Anderson, the Chiefs were fortunate to eek out a win on Sunday.

The Chiefs really need Jay Sneed back as soon as he's healthy.

BossChief
11-10-2020, 04:07 PM

Them getting Ruggs back changed their philosophy on offense. When NE played them, BB double teamed the check downs for Carr...think about that. When we played them, they went completely against their own tendencies and we were too late to adjust.

TinyEvel
11-10-2020, 04:27 PM
Heres how it went down:

REID: Should we try that one new guy?

BIENEMY: Yassir.

REID: OK I trust you fam...

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-10-2020, 05:38 PM
Durant was one of the better tackles in the SEC in 2018, but as the Odom/Dooley stink got on him further, his play declined in 2019.

htismaqe
11-10-2020, 06:23 PM
Them getting Ruggs back changed their philosophy on offense. When NE played them, BB double teamed the check downs for Carr...think about that. When we played them, they went completely against their own tendencies and we were too late to adjust.

Which is why I think we'll be fine next time around.

htismaqe
11-10-2020, 06:24 PM
Durant was one of the better tackles in the SEC in 2018, but as the Odom/Dooley stink got on him further, his play declined in 2019.

Again, I thought he played okay for being forced into the game on such short notice.

Burns is a pretty decent pass rusher.