PDA

View Full Version : Life Pour one out for the sports bar.

Pages : [1] 2

Bob Dole
11-30-2020, 07:13 AM
https://www.si.com/more-sports/2020/11/25/sports-bar-closings-covid-19-daily-cover

Sobering. No pun intended.

dj56dt58
11-30-2020, 07:55 AM
Fortunately I live in a Republican state where we are still free to live our lives

Bob Dole
11-30-2020, 08:35 AM
Fortunately I live in a Republican state where we are still free to live our lives

It’s just amazing how many iconic places have been forced out of business.

alanm
11-30-2020, 08:41 AM
The people responsible for these shutdowns don't realize how bad they are hurting business. And yet for the most part they put those people back in power. Just amazing. And sad.

KCUnited
11-30-2020, 08:54 AM
In addition to sports bars, the neighborhood joints on every other corner here are dropping like flies. Feel its always been inevitable due to the younger generation having different drinking habits and a desire to play bocce ball rather than pool or darts. Covid, and the response to it, has definitely helped expedite the extinction though.

Lot of these places here are, I mean were, pre-prohibition.

IowaHawkeyeChief
11-30-2020, 08:57 AM
the cure is worse...

Dante84
11-30-2020, 08:59 AM
the cure is worse...

Not to those who have lost family members and friends.

stevieray
11-30-2020, 09:00 AM
Destroy what America created:

The middle class.

RedRaider56
11-30-2020, 09:06 AM

I do too but unfortunately, the local mayors, judges and health officials can still modify the rules businesses operate under within their local jurisdictions.

saphojunkie
11-30-2020, 09:11 AM
You’re fucking idiots

DaFace
11-30-2020, 09:22 AM
In addition to sports bars, the neighborhood joints on every other corner here are dropping like flies. Feel its always been inevitable due to the younger generation having different drinking habits and a desire to play bocce ball rather than pool or darts. Covid, and the response to it, has definitely helped expedite the extinction though.

Lot of these places here are, I mean were, pre-prohibition.I'm not sure if I qualify as "younger" anymore, but I've probably been in a true sports bar fewer than 5 times in my life (unless you count Buffalo Wild Wings). I've done it a couple times to catch a game when I'm on the road, but otherwise, I'd much rather watch at home where the beer is cheap and I can control the TV and audio.

ChiTown
11-30-2020, 09:26 AM
I'm not sure if I qualify as "younger" anymore, but I've probably been in a true sports bar fewer than 5 times in my life (unless you count Buffalo Wild Wings). I've done it a couple times to catch a game when I'm on the road, but otherwise, I'd much rather watch at home where the beer is cheap and I can control the TV and audio.

It's the only time I've been to Sports Bars in the last 10 years - when I'm travelling. The model was drastically changing well before COVID struck.

BigCatDaddy
11-30-2020, 09:26 AM
The people responsible for these shutdowns don't realize how bad they are hurting business. And yet for the most part they put those people back in power. Just amazing. And sad.

Just a pure flex of power by these douche bags.

IowaHawkeyeChief
11-30-2020, 09:28 AM
Not to those who have lost family members and friends.

the cure is worse looking at the aggregate... it's always hard for those that lose family members, but the overall costs of shutdowns on the world poverty level will cost many many more lives than Covid...

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-54448589

Buehler445
11-30-2020, 09:32 AM

It's not just the iconic, newsworthy ones, but a whole bunch of unknown neighborhood joints - and not just bars, but restaurants, delis, all manner of one off shops. If there were any real shutdowns.

I have no idea of any on-the-ground experiences, other than I know one guy that used to run bars in Manhattan (KS) that still has friends out there and it's bad is all he'll ever tell me. I can't imagine what any of the outfits in places that had harsher shutdowns look like. I don't have any first hand knowledge other than what it takes to run my business, but between rent, and labor alone, I can't imagine they're margins are that great pre-COVID. I don't see any way they're not fucked. I mean, I guess they could call a rent moratorium or some similar shit, but that would equally fuck the landlord and I'd guess wreck the real estate market real nice. Then who knows what happens if the building sells?

IMO, ripping the small business backbone out of communities is a worst case scenario kind of thing.

Interestingly, what about office buildings? I haven't done a ton of research or anything, but I know a bunch of accounting firms are pushing to continue WFH, Microsoft put some permanency in their policy. I'm guessing any shrewd business is going to try to reduce their rent costs and blame COVID. Think about if you owned a bunch of big ass office buildings and can't fill them up in NYC or Chicago or something and they're 10% full. And you're leveraged. Woof.

The shocking thing about all that is there is a real chance that iconic downtown buildings in major cities might be bankrupt or some such nonsense.

I'd be interested in some in depth research on that front.

I didn't intend to meander into a rant here - and hopefully I kept the DC out of it - but the effects of this deal are going to be far reaching to say the least. My position has always been to not wreck commerce. That's the foundation of our economy. But they did it so now we get to see what happens.

*Pours one out for my dead homies.

Prison Bitch
11-30-2020, 09:42 AM
Have a friend who is a business broker. Has like 7 restaurants now that are free to anyone just taking over the lease. So: like $200k In leasehold improvements are free to you if you just assume his 3-4 years or whatever left at $3k/mo.

All of these places are 10+ years running. All are 50-60 year old men throwing in the towel. It’s really frustrating to hear.

Buehler445
11-30-2020, 09:43 AM
I'm not sure if I qualify as "younger" anymore, but I've probably been in a true sports bar fewer than 5 times in my life (unless you count Buffalo Wild Wings). I've done it a couple times to catch a game when I'm on the road, but otherwise, I'd much rather watch at home where the beer is cheap and I can control the TV and audio.

You're older than me. We don't count as "younger". You missed the memo. Check your inbox. ROFL

Hopefully I don't meander like the last post, but I think in general, you've been to a "hangout" type place a fair bit, no? Maybe not, but the larger point is we as evolutionary beings need socialization. I mean, sure zoom and whatever, but I know periodically I need to see PEOPLE. And I'm about the last dude that does, but even my crochety old ass needs to see people (that I like) some. And in point of fact, I've broke some rules to do it.

This is neither here nor there, but I talked to the husband of a high school English teacher who was making her students journal or whatever during the shutdown. Takeaway was that some of those journals got pretty damned dark. I mean there's always going to be the kids that struggle socially in school, but this was different. I'd like to think most adults are more well-adjusted than high school kids, but we still need to be able to socialize.

And without hangout type outfits, that just becomes harder, and we as a society won't do it, because we never do the hard thing. And it's not for the better.

Mecca
11-30-2020, 09:44 AM
Sports bars were already having issues, the rise of massive tvs and home theater setups mixed with the change in drinking habits of younger generations and honestly just people's desire to chill at home away from drunk idiots has all had an effect.

Buehler445
11-30-2020, 09:44 AM
Have a friend who is a business broker. Has like 7 restaurants now that are free to anyone just taking over the lease. So: like $200k In leasehold improvements are free to you if you just assume his 3-4 years or whatever left at $3k/mo.

All of these places are 10+ years running. All are 50-60 year old men throwing in the towel. It’s really frustrating to hear.

Ouch.

Failing at my business is something that I've gamed out in my head every which way I can think of. I can't even imagine.

DaFace
11-30-2020, 09:45 AM
You're older than me. We don't count as "younger". You missed the memo. Check your inbox. ROFL

Hopefully I don't meander like the last post, but I think in general, you've been to a "hangout" type place a fair bit, no? Maybe not, but the larger point is we as evolutionary beings need socialization. I mean, sure zoom and whatever, but I know periodically I need to see PEOPLE. And I'm about the last dude that does, but even my crochety old ass needs to see people (that I like) some. And in point of fact, I've broke some rules to do it.

This is neither here nor there, but I talked to the husband of a high school English teacher who was making her students journal or whatever during the shutdown. Takeaway was that some of those journals got pretty damned dark. I mean there's always going to be the kids that struggle socially in school, but this was different. I'd like to think most adults are more well-adjusted than high school kids, but we still need to be able to socialize.

And without hangout type outfits, that just becomes harder, and we as a society won't do it, because we never do the hard thing. And it's not for the better.

If I'm hanging out with people, I'm usually at my place or theirs. I've never understood the appeal of bars in general. If you're referring to the ESU days, for example, I think I went to Bruff's once, and my roommate took me to some shady one out to the west of town a bit once. I think that is the extent of my bar visitation in college.

Deberg_1990
11-30-2020, 09:45 AM
Hooters and Twin Peaks are thriving

Dunerdr
11-30-2020, 09:46 AM
Sports bars are hurting because younger generations dont have to buy a chick a drink to get laid, they have apps for licking ass now.

tooge
11-30-2020, 09:51 AM
It's not just the iconic, newsworthy ones, but a whole bunch of unknown neighborhood joints - and not just bars, but restaurants, delis, all manner of one off shops. If there were any real shutdowns.

I have no idea of any on-the-ground experiences, other than I know one guy that used to run bars in Manhattan (KS) that still has friends out there and it's bad is all he'll ever tell me. I can't imagine what any of the outfits in places that had harsher shutdowns look like. I don't have any first hand knowledge other than what it takes to run my business, but between rent, and labor alone, I can't imagine they're margins are that great pre-COVID. I don't see any way they're not ****ed. I mean, I guess they could call a rent moratorium or some similar shit, but that would equally **** the landlord and I'd guess wreck the real estate market real nice. Then who knows what happens if the building sells?

IMO, ripping the small business backbone out of communities is a worst case scenario kind of thing.

Interestingly, what about office buildings? I haven't done a ton of research or anything, but I know a bunch of accounting firms are pushing to continue WFH, Microsoft put some permanency in their policy. I'm guessing any shrewd business is going to try to reduce their rent costs and blame COVID. Think about if you owned a bunch of big ass office buildings and can't fill them up in NYC or Chicago or something and they're 10% full. And you're leveraged. Woof.

The shocking thing about all that is there is a real chance that iconic downtown buildings in major cities might be bankrupt or some such nonsense.

I'd be interested in some in depth research on that front.

I didn't intend to meander into a rant here - and hopefully I kept the DC out of it - but the effects of this deal are going to be far reaching to say the least. My position has always been to not wreck commerce. That's the foundation of our economy. But they did it so now we get to see what happens.

*Pours one out for my dead homies.

I wonder if some of those swank office buildings that will be mostly or partially vacant as large companies implement more WFH polices could be turned into housing? Sort of like the urban renewal with the old buildings being turned into lofts and such in the city.

Marcellus
11-30-2020, 09:55 AM

I went to McGreevy's in Boston last spring, it was a cool place.

Marcellus
11-30-2020, 09:56 AM
Sports bars were already having issues, the rise of massive tvs and home theater setups mixed with the change in drinking habits of younger generations and honestly just people's desire to chill at home away from drunk idiots has all had an effect.

Yea covid has nothing to do with these places closing. :facepalm:

OrtonsPiercedTaint
11-30-2020, 09:57 AM
Americans are not to bad at reinventing into something better

Mecca
Yea covid has nothing to do with these places closing. :facepalm:

It sped it up but issues were already there which is why we are now here...just like covid is likely speeding up automation.

DaFace
Regarding the bigger-picture stuff in the OP, I guess I'm less bothered by it because I see COVID as an accelerant of these kinds of trends rather than as a true game changer. Sports bars were already dying. Office buildings were already starting to thin out as people worked remotely. Restaurants were already moving to delivery.

The entities that truly have staying power (e.g., sports) will come back soon. It's those that were on shaky ground in the first place that are in trouble. And while that's sad, it's not necessarily anything new. Did anyone shed a tear when Blockbuster went under? People have ranted about Walmart putting mom and pop shops out of business for decades, but have we stopped shopping there? Business models come and go. And while I do feel bad for the people who are impacted, the world will reconfigure to the "new normal," and life will go on.

MahiMike

Perfect. Me too.

MahiMike
11-30-2020, 09:58 AM
Regarding the bigger-picture stuff in the OP, I guess I'm less bothered by it because I see COVID as an accelerant of these kinds of trends rather than as a true game changer. Sports bars were already dying. Office buildings were already starting to thin out as people worked remotely. Restaurants were already moving to delivery.

The entities that truly have staying power (e.g., sports) will come back soon. It's those that were on shaky ground in the first place that are in trouble. And while that's sad, it's not necessarily anything new. Did anyone shed a tear when Blockbuster went under? People have ranted about Walmart putting mom and pop shops out of business for decades, but have we stopped shopping there? Business models come and go. And while I do feel bad for the people who are impacted, the world will reconfigure to the "new normal," and life will go on.

Live free or die. Screw the "New Normal".

Marcellus
11-30-2020, 09:59 AM
It sped it up but issues were already there which is why we are now here...just like covid is likely speeding up automation.

The places listed in the article in the OP were very likely in no danger of closing pre covid. Hell its explained to you what they survived previously right in the article.

Unsurprisingly you attempt to deflect from the impact of the shut downs.

tooge
11-30-2020, 10:00 AM

Not really. Or, I guess it depends on the place. Our little joint we hit about twice a week near me is packed consistently. Even right now it's pretty busy. Of course, they have good food also so it's a restaurant/bar with more than bar food. During the lockdown back in March-May, we used to get together with friends in their parking lot and order take out and just "tailgate" to support them.

KCUnited
I'm a huge fan of bar culture. Most likely due to growing up in a dry county in KS. I'm a sucker for the decors, jukeboxes, pool tables, escape from society, etc. but I completely understand why its dying.

There was some legit fuckery here though with shutting down places that don't serve food. Every place here that doesn't serve food is BYOF or allows people to order in. Then shutting down places without a patio and holding them hostage on sidewalk/parking lot permits so they could set up an outdoor space to stay open. It created a disadvantage for places and was mostly driven by restaurant group lobbies, but it is what it is at this point.

Marcellus

This is true, which is why it imperative American ideals are allowed to flourish.

Mecca
11-30-2020, 10:01 AM

And that is basically what I was saying, right there with you man.

Buehler445
11-30-2020, 10:01 AM
If I'm hanging out with people, I'm usually at my place or theirs. I've never understood the appeal of bars in general. If you're referring to the ESU days, for example, I think I went to Bruff's once, and my roommate took me to some shady one out to the west of town a bit once. I think that is the extent of my bar visitation in college.

I thought we drug you to Babes a few times. I wasn't a Bruffs for the bar guy, I went for the food, but not for the bar. Never made it out west to Desperate Hos ...err...Desperados. ROFL

Eh, nonetheless, we've still done some hanging out here and there. Like what about that pizza joint we ate at the last time I was through there. I can't imagine rent is cheap there. Is it still open?

kcclone
11-30-2020, 10:02 AM
Amazingly Covid has finally cured the flu....

https://twitter.com/SteveDeaceShow/status/1333394020689715206?s=20

DaFace
11-30-2020, 10:04 AM
I thought we drug you to Babes a few times. I wasn't a Bruffs for the bar guy, I went for the food, but not for the bar. Never made it out west to Desperate Hos ...err...Desperados. ROFL

Eh, nonetheless, we've still done some hanging out here and there. Like what about that pizza joint we ate at the last time I was through there. I can't imagine rent is cheap there. Is it still open?

I don't THINK so. I can't even recall where that one was...

You have to remember that I was a nerdy choir geek. Crowds weren't exactly my style (and still aren't). :)

wazu
11-30-2020, 10:05 AM

Forcing closure of businesses until they break is not a part of natural re-ordering of the economy. Were there trends that might have eventually ended with businesses like these dying out? Maybe, eventually. In the meantime these businesses may well have provided money and employment to their local economies for decades to come.

bdj23
11-30-2020, 10:06 AM
We'll have Neighborhood Pubs by Amazon in no time to fill the void

Discuss Thrower
11-30-2020, 10:16 AM

LMAO

What a fucking dumbass take.

Buehler445
11-30-2020, 10:20 AM

I agree with most of what you said here. Largely I'm a free market guy. Nobody gives half a fuck when grain prices are halved or it won't fucking rain and I produce 20% of APH crop. So typically it is hard to get much sympathy out of me for business failures. However, shocks to the system are problematic. And doing things like wrecking real estate markets and massive small business bankruptcies just for the sake of a weird government policy is not healthy.

And sure, where you are the trends were heading that direction, but not necessarily everywhere.

Moreover, sports may or may not be back strong. Football seems to be doing OK, but I listened to a Bill Simmons podcast where he dorked out on NBA revenue numbers, and they may have some real changes. They're looking at massive, like 20% declines in revenue (I don't remember the numbers, but I recommend the podcast it's a good listen. Link (https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9yc3MuYXJ0MTkuY29tL3RoZS1iaWxsLXNpbW1vbnMtcG9kY2FzdA/episode/MjkwMjJhNmMtMDM0NC0xMWViLTllNmQtM2ZlNDRhMWU0M2E4?sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiDwNGl9vPsAhWjeDABHbEKBcAQkfYCegQIARAv)). So they're talking about softening the changes to the cap so players and teams don't get absolutely fisted trying to build/keep a team, which means the owners eat shit...again... after eating shit in the bubble. Plus several owners are eating shit in their outside businesses. And so then what? They sell? I think there is a pretty good chance that if more than 2 or so sell in a short period there is a better than average chance the value of a franchise could decrease, maybe substantially. I don't know what that means for the league, but to just handwave any economic impacts from this is disingenuous at best. And the NBA was indestructible before COVID. I don't know what football is going to look like, but baseball relies pretty heavily (save NY and LA) on ticket sales. If this drags out I think there is a fair chance that sport may not bounce back as you're suggesting. And I don't even know what sports without TV contracts look like.

Bottom line is this, if it were to all happen organically, sure, fine whatever. But when insane volatility is introduced into markets, whatever/whereever it is, its bloody, and in most cases, the economy writ large is worse off for it.

bdj23
11-30-2020, 10:22 AM
Forcing closure of businesses until they break is not a part of natural re-ordering of the economy. Were there trends that might have eventually ended with businesses like these dying out? Maybe, eventually. In the meantime these businesses may well have provided money and employment to their local economies for decades to come.

You will eat the bugs!

Buehler445
11-30-2020, 10:23 AM

You have to remember that I was a nerdy choir geek. Crowds weren't exactly my style (and still aren't). :)

Next to Pyramid Pizza. I'm pretty sure Pretz or someone drug you in there. LOL

Titty Meat
11-30-2020, 10:24 AM
We'll have Neighborhood Pubs by Amazon in no time to fill the void

Will there be more bathrooms, TV volume that's wont make you go deaf, and a good air filter so when the douchebag drinking budlight all day sharts you wont be able to smell it? If so I'm here for it.

FloridaMan88
11-30-2020, 10:28 AM
As others have said in this thread, I think this article is expressing nostalgia for a very niche type of sports bar... the "Cheers" type watering hole where people would go after work for a beer, etc. and those places have been dying out long before COVID-19.

Buehler445
11-30-2020, 10:52 AM

This is a better way to say what I was trying to say.

More than just the economic contributions of the individual wrecked business, wiping out whole industries in short timeframes from an external force never works out well.

A cursory review of the industrial revolution will bear out several depressions that were started by some level of volatility thrust upon fledgling industries which wiped out massive swaths of industry. Which wiped out the economies of massive swaths of the country, which definitely moved the needle on a macroeconomic scale. That led to the rise of monopolies, price fixing, all associated shenanigans, blah blah blah.

And that was natural forces, in a few industries. This is external forces in huge numbers of industries. I'm not smart enough to know, but I do know enough not to rule too much out.

Marcellus
11-30-2020, 11:00 AM
Bottom line is this, if it were to all happen organically, sure, fine whatever. But when insane volatility is introduced into markets, whatever/whereever it is, its bloody, and in most cases, the economy writ large is worse off for it.

This is exactly where I am at on this.

Small business goes under, big business survives and takes a stronger foothold. Its the absolute last thing we want to happen.

All the people saying well I don't go out anyway, well good for you, and you likely are the people eating at Applebee's when you do go out anyway. Some of us focus on local business and purposefully spend their money there and its 9 x out of 10 a better product as well.

If you want to do something that's actually beneficial to you, spend your money locally whenever you can. 2 places I loved going to locally have closed permanently (along with several other establishments) and another is barely hanging on.

Discuss Thrower
11-30-2020, 11:07 AM
This is exactly where I am at on this.

Small business goes under, big business survives and takes a stronger foothold. Its the absolute last thing we want to happen.

This

is

by

design.

Don't say you weren't warned.

htismaqe
11-30-2020, 11:20 AM
Large corporations have deep pockets. Small businesses contribute to the local economy but they don't contribute to money that changes hands in Washington DC.

I'm sure this will end up getting sent to DC but so be it.

Corporations run our elections, pay our representatives, and enforce "laws" that could never be enforced in the public sphere, like limiting freedom of speech because you might offend someone.

KChiefs1
11-30-2020, 11:23 AM

Thank God I live where life continues & people are free to go enjoy it.

Mephistopheles Janx
11-30-2020, 11:26 AM
Outside of a BWW to catch a UFC events... I've spent exactly zero minutes in a sports bar.

We started getting the PPV at a buddy's house instead after a handful of negative interactions with "Affliction" brand wearing douchebags that thought they were UFC super stars along with pretty shitty yet still high food prices.

If I'm gonna force myself to interact with a bunch of strangers for the sake of a sporting event... it will be because I'm in attendance. Otherwise, sports bars are a relic.

htismaqe
11-30-2020, 11:26 AM

Live music venues were THRIVING before the pandemic.

The music scene in 2017-2018 was the strongest it has been in 30 years here.

In March of last year, it all came to a grinding halt and the extended absence of performances has led to several venues closing forever.

Many many performers have given up because they can't afford to do it anymore.

The "new normal" is a fucking bleak wasteland with no artistic or creative input. Pure corporatism and consumption, like robots.

Fish
11-30-2020, 11:27 AM
This

is

by

design.

No, it's simply capitalism. Big businesses have more assets to survive short term troubles. Small businesses generally do not. Local bars and restaurants have survived on a very thin margin month to month for a long time. They're dependent on consistent profit. This is the result of plain old uncaring market capitalism.

KChiefs1
11-30-2020, 11:27 AM

Are you a Hornet too? I had no idea.

Fish
11-30-2020, 11:29 AM
Large corporations have deep pockets. Small businesses contribute to the local economy but they don't contribute to money that changes hands in Washington DC.

Corporations run our elections, pay our representatives, and enforce "laws" that could never be enforced in the public sphere, like limiting freedom of speech because you might offend someone.

Yup. The more we allow corporations to lobby lawmakers, the more our laws will favor large corporations and disfavor small business. It happens on both sides of the aisle too.

KChiefs1
11-30-2020, 11:30 AM

You probably weren’t a Fubars person then either. Loved that place.

DaFace

In March of last year, it all came to a grinding halt and the extended absence of performances has led to several venues closing forever.

The "new normal" is a fucking bleak wasteland with no artistic or creative input. Pure corporatism and consumption, like robots.

Eh, live music will be back IMO. It may take a year or two, but I have trouble believing that will go away. Same with theater.

Mecca
Outside of a BWW to catch a UFC events... I've spent exactly zero minutes in a sports bar.

We started getting the PPV at a buddy's house instead after a handful of negative interactions with "Affliction" brand wearing douchebags that thought they were UFC super stars along with pretty shitty yet still high food prices.

If I'm gonna force myself to interact with a bunch of strangers for the sake of a sporting event... it will be because I'm in attendance. Otherwise, sports bars are a relic.

It's not really any different than the arcade, when people can get the same or better experience in their home they tend to stay home.

KChiefs1
This

is

by

design.

Absolutely

htismaqe
11-30-2020, 11:33 AM
Yup. The more we allow corporations to lobby lawmakers, the more our laws will favor large corporations and disfavor small business. It happens on both sides of the aisle too.

Yeah, like I said, it might get me sent to DC because it is a political issue but in no way is it a partisan issue. Our entire government participates in the buying and selling of favors. Elected officials, appointees, salaried bureaucrats - they all do it whenever and wherever they can. It has nothing to do with party affliation and in many ways, the two party system reinforces the behavior as deep down there's very little difference in the motivation of the two parties, just a difference in who is doing the "motivating".

htismaqe
11-30-2020, 11:35 AM
Eh, live music will be back IMO. It may take a year or two, but I have trouble believing that will go away. Same with theater.

Venues are gone. Bands have broken up and moved on to day jobs.

It won't come back the way it was. The foundation for it is gone.

But hey, we'll still have commercial pop music. Taylor Swift made it through the pandemic okay. Her and Katy Perry will probably write a song about how they rode it out in their mansions.

DaFace
11-30-2020, 11:40 AM

But hey, we'll still have commercial pop music. Taylor Swift made it through the pandemic okay. Her and Katy Perry will probably write a song about how they rode it out in their mansions.

Eh, maybe. I see plenty of artists who have released albums recently that they've been working on while they couldn't be touring. I've watched 3-4 live concerts that were put on in empty venues. I did a virtual meet and greet with one of my favorite indy bands.

I have no doubt that there will be a short-term hit, but I don't see any major reason why things won't rebound eventually.

Prison Bitch
11-30-2020, 11:45 AM
In the article (which nobody read I’m sure), an owner mentioned the use of cellphones in bars. People slap em up on the bar like “guns from a holster” back in the day. Families eat while staring at their phones.

So maybe people today are anti social and that’s the true reason bars, and live concerts, and yes: sports games are losing appeal. Not “comforts of home”

jdubya
11-30-2020, 11:49 AM
Of the bars mentioned in the article I have been to Ricky`s. Truly a one of a kind bar. Hope they survive.

Mecca
11-30-2020, 11:49 AM
In the article (which nobody read I’m sure), an owner mentioned the use of cellphones in bars. People slap em up on the bar like “guns from a holster” back in the day. Families eat while staring at their phones.

So maybe people today are anti social and that’s the true reason bars, and live concerts, and yes: sports games are losing appeal. Not “comforts of home”

That's a part of it, many people's lives are inside of their phones, we're more connected than ever but at the same time anti-social.

htismaqe
11-30-2020, 11:50 AM
Eh, maybe. I see plenty of artists who have released albums recently that they've been working on while they couldn't be touring. I've watched 3-4 live concerts that were put on in empty venues. I did a virtual meet and greet with one of my favorite indy bands.

I have no doubt that there will be a short-term hit, but I don't see any major reason why things won't rebound eventually.

Many of the bands I follow put out albums too but they don't make money on albums. In fact, in the world of streaming, they often LOSE money because streaming services literally pay hundredths of a cent on the dollar.

Those bands depend on touring and they're now broke. Those albums they released will be their last if they can't start touring again soon. Many of them have actually already given up.

Discuss Thrower
11-30-2020, 11:50 AM
No, it's simply capitalism. Big businesses have more assets to survive short term troubles. Small businesses generally do not. Local bars and restaurants have survived on a very thin margin month to month for a long time. They're dependent on consistent profit. This is the result of plain old uncaring market capitalism.

LMAO

htismaqe
11-30-2020, 11:51 AM

Maybe true for sports bars but definitely not true for live music.

I got to a lot of small venue concerts. They were constantly packed. Many of those small venues are now out of business.

DaneMcCloud
11-30-2020, 11:52 AM
Sports bars became a ridiculous waste of money more than a decade ago.

$15 dollars for parking, $10 dollars for a beer, $20 dollars for a burger - Seriously, who wants to pay those type of prices for something that can be watched at home in most cases?

Sports bars were bound to die off because people's viewing habits have changed with the advent of Streaming and DVR's. Millennials and Gen-Zers would rather spend their extra cash on Amazon and Starbucks, not on beers and burgers in a sports bar.

Prison Bitch
11-30-2020, 11:58 AM
That's a part of it, many people's lives are inside of their phones, we're more connected than ever but at the same time anti-social.

The movie Birdman was about live theater. In one scene an actor (played by Ed Norton) yells at the audience “”Oh, come on people, don't be so pathetic. Stop looking at the world through your cellphone screens. Have a real experience!”

I think about that often when I go to a Royals game or restaurant and see folks glued to their phone.

DaneMcCloud
11-30-2020, 11:59 AM

Unless you're a Legacy Act or a Pop Star, you're not making money in the music business, period. Most of the bands on tours like The Van's Warped Tour and similar are being funded by their parents: The bands themselves are barely breaking even and in most cases, they're losing money.

Streaming doesn't pay Indie Artists or even Major Label Artists nearly enough money to survive as as band, let alone, survive as people that can purchase a home. Only those backed by big money Production Companies, Labels and "The Machine" are going to make any substantial money and those are few and far between.

The chances of your children or your children's friends getting together in a garage or basement and becoming the next "Big Thing" are about 100 Billion to One.

Illegal digital file sharing in the 90's changed the Business of Music forever and it's never, ever, ever, going back to the way it was in the 1950's to around 1995.

Never.

Lzen
11-30-2020, 12:02 PM

The "new normal" is a ****ing bleak wasteland with no artistic or creative input. Pure corporatism and consumption, like robots.
This is what is happening here. I know a guy who has been doing it for decades but decided to give it all up because of this. I haven't been able to play for a year and it's driving me crazy.

Demonpenz
11-30-2020, 12:13 PM
Ironic the generation always talking about pulling themselves up by the bootstraps is being pussys

htismaqe
11-30-2020, 12:15 PM
Unless you're a Legacy Act or a Pop Star, you're not making money in the music business, period. Most of the bands on tours like The Van's Warped Tour and similar are being funded by their parents: The bands themselves are barely breaking even and in most cases, they're losing money.

Streaming doesn't pay Indie Artists or even Major Label Artists nearly enough money to survive as as band, let alone, survive as people that can purchase a home. Only those backed by big money Production Companies, Labels and "The Machine" are going to make any substantial money and those are few and far between.

The chances of your children or your children's friends getting together in a garage or basement and becoming the next "Big Thing" are about 100 Billion to One.

Illegal digital file sharing in the 90's changed the Business of Music forever and it's never, ever, ever, going back to the way it was in the 1950's to around 1995.

Never.

I know that the business is largely break-even for those kinds of bands. That's my point - the only way they can even break even is to tour. They make money primarily off of merchandise so they can buy gas to get to the next show.

Nobody is expecting it to be like it was pre-streaming but just like it was pre-COVID, when on any given night in a shithole like Des Moines, IA, there was 2 or 3 live alternative/metal shows to choose from in a venue that supported 200-400 people.

Those places are gone and many of those bands are too.

notorious
11-30-2020, 12:16 PM
I worked in a sports bar for 10 years. I wouldn’t buy a good one for cheap back then, and I wouldn’t take one for free now.

Drinking habits have changed immensely from the age 30 on down, and I saw it happen until the joint I worked at shut down long ago.

People used to go to bars to pick up girls and talk sports. You can do both now without getting off the couch.

And it sucks.

Megatron96
11-30-2020, 12:18 PM
Ironic the generation always talking about pulling themselves up by the bootstraps is being pussys

:facepalm:
Good God, your and idiot. not that this is anything new, but JFC . . .

Discuss Thrower
11-30-2020, 12:20 PM
Good God, your and idiot. not that this is anything new, but JFC . . .

It's a penz post..

Abba-Dabba
11-30-2020, 12:21 PM
In most cases now, even pre-covid, if you are in a bar and over 30 you're a overt/covert drunk. And all the 20 something's just think you are the old weird guy that had so many problems that not even the old crazy bar skank wanted to hang with you more than a night.

Megatron96
11-30-2020, 12:27 PM
It's a penz post..

Oh I know. Thought I knew th depths of duncery, but apparently he wallows in the ability to reach new lows.

tk13
11-30-2020, 12:30 PM
I agree with most of what you said here. Largely I'm a free market guy. Nobody gives half a **** when grain prices are halved or it won't ****ing rain and I produce 20% of APH crop. So typically it is hard to get much sympathy out of me for business failures. However, shocks to the system are problematic. And doing things like wrecking real estate markets and massive small business bankruptcies just for the sake of a weird government policy is not healthy.

And sure, where you are the trends were heading that direction, but not necessarily everywhere.

Moreover, sports may or may not be back strong. Football seems to be doing OK, but I listened to a Bill Simmons podcast where he dorked out on NBA revenue numbers, and they may have some real changes. They're looking at massive, like 20% declines in revenue (I don't remember the numbers, but I recommend the podcast it's a good listen. Link (https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9yc3MuYXJ0MTkuY29tL3RoZS1iaWxsLXNpbW1vbnMtcG9kY2FzdA/episode/MjkwMjJhNmMtMDM0NC0xMWViLTllNmQtM2ZlNDRhMWU0M2E4?sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiDwNGl9vPsAhWjeDABHbEKBcAQkfYCegQIARAv)). So they're talking about softening the changes to the cap so players and teams don't get absolutely fisted trying to build/keep a team, which means the owners eat shit...again... after eating shit in the bubble. Plus several owners are eating shit in their outside businesses. And so then what? They sell? I think there is a pretty good chance that if more than 2 or so sell in a short period there is a better than average chance the value of a franchise could decrease, maybe substantially. I don't know what that means for the league, but to just handwave any economic impacts from this is disingenuous at best. And the NBA was indestructible before COVID. I don't know what football is going to look like, but baseball relies pretty heavily (save NY and LA) on ticket sales. If this drags out I think there is a fair chance that sport may not bounce back as you're suggesting. And I don't even know what sports without TV contracts look like.

This is exactly right and also why saying we needed to open up to save the economy in the summer were only thinking short term. Instead of taking tougher action and try to get things under control at least a little bit, we're going to allow this thing to cut us and bleed out slowly over the course of 12-16 months. The economy will eventually recover but there's still going to be a lot of damage.

That's because when people say "the economy" they really mean the stock market. But that isn't going to help the tons of small business owners who are going to take it on the chin, as well as all the people they employ. And that's just one example. We are leaving them out to dry because the economy will never fully recover until there's confidence among everyone to go out and do things.

But I concede that's more philosophical differences than politics or anything else. There are people who want to prolong things as long as possible, and other people who prefer to just rip the band aid off. And you'll see that here.

Bearcat
11-30-2020, 12:31 PM
Sports bars became a ridiculous waste of money more than a decade ago.

$15 dollars for parking, $10 dollars for a beer, $20 dollars for a burger - Seriously, who wants to pay those type of prices for something that can be watched at home in most cases?

Sports bars were bound to die off because people's viewing habits have changed with the advent of Streaming and DVR's. Millennials and Gen-Zers would rather spend their extra cash on Amazon and Starbucks, not on beers and burgers in a sports bar.

JFC.

~10+ years ago in KC, I'd guess it was around $30-40/person to spend 3-4 hours at a Buffalo Wild Wings. I thought it was a pretty good deal and a nice alternative to seeing games live, especially when everyone in the restaurant is tuned into a game. It was a fun atmosphere.

But... yeah, if there was any kind of parking/cover cost and then stadium-priced food, I'd just stay home.

And being out of state now, I'd much rather get food delivered (worldwide pandemic or not) and watch at home with far better beer.

BigCatDaddy
11-30-2020, 12:40 PM
I worked in a sports bar for 10 years. I wouldn’t buy a good one for cheap back then, and I wouldn’t take one for free now.

Drinking habits have changed immensely from the age 30 on down, and I saw it happen until the joint I worked at shut down long ago.

People used to go to bars to pick up girls and talk sports. You can do both now without getting off the couch.

And it sucks.

Thanks Chiefs Planet!

DaneMcCloud
11-30-2020, 12:42 PM
JFC.

~10+ years ago in KC, I'd guess it was around $30-40/person to spend 3-4 hours at a Buffalo Wild Wings. I thought it was a pretty good deal and a nice alternative to seeing games live, especially when everyone in the restaurant is tuned into a game. It was a fun atmosphere.

I remember back to when I first arrived in Hollywood back in 1993, about a month before the Montana trade. I was soooooooooo stoked to watch the first Chiefs game of the season, yet I couldn't find a single bar in Hollywood or the Valley that was showing the Chiefs game! I ended up driving all the way to Santa Monica to watch the game at Yankee Doodles on the Promenade, which was the only "Sports Bar" in which I could see the Chiefs.

It was $10 dollars parking, beers were $8 dollars and I got stuck watching the game on an old 19" TV that was obscured by a joist! They had a $20 dollar minimum spend in order to even stand and watch a TV so by the end of the day, I was out more than $50 dollars at a time when I was broke AF.

A sports bar opened in Hollywood a year or two later but they catered specifically to the East Coast crowd, so it was always jammed packed with Eagles, Jets and Giants fans and again, I'd be relegated to the smallest TV over in a corner by myself.

One of the very first things I did when I bought my home in 2003 was to purchase a 55" HDTV and Direct TV's Sunday Ticket. I've been to a few sports bars since, generally after the Chiefs game has aired and after each and every time, I've been thankful for the fact that I no longer have to get up at 7:00am on Sunday, shower, drive, park and look for a table so I can watch the Chiefs on a tiny, blurry TV screen.

vonBobo
11-30-2020, 12:46 PM

This, right here, is your "deep state" folks. They are adept at taking everything they can and leaving their victims to blame others, often minorities and other less empowered groups.

AdolfOliverBush
11-30-2020, 12:50 PM
What's next, the extinction of soda fountains? The day I can't walk up to a soda jerk and order an egg cream or a soda phosphate for a nickel will be a sad day indeed.

suzzer99
11-30-2020, 12:52 PM
In most cases now, even pre-covid, if you are in a bar and over 30 you're a overt/covert drunk. And all the 20 something's just think you are the old weird guy that had so many problems that not even the old crazy bar skank wanted to hang with you more than a night.

Come on dude, X-Factor hangs out at Neighbors every weekend, and he's as cool as they come.

suzzer99
11-30-2020, 12:53 PM
What's next, the extinction of soda fountains? The day I can't walk up to a soda jerk and order an egg cream or a soda phosphate for a nickel will be a sad day indeed.

The talkies will ruin motion pictures I say!

Prison Bitch
11-30-2020, 12:54 PM
“I prefer the comforts of home”

No, you’re just lazy and anti-social.

notorious
11-30-2020, 12:58 PM

It’s natural as you age.

I started noticing something isn’t right when 18-30 year olds started to stay home to play games instead of going out and chasing pussy.

AdolfOliverBush
11-30-2020, 01:02 PM
It’s natural as you age.

I started noticing something isn’t right when 18-30 year olds started to stay home to play games instead of going out and chasing pussy.

Dating apps lead to exponentially more pussy than going to bars ever could.

Prison Bitch
11-30-2020, 01:05 PM
It’s natural as you age.

This is a much deeper convo beyond the scope of dying bars.

Guys don’t chase pussy anymore because they *are* pussies. It involves (1) effort, (2) time, (3) $$$, (4) rejection, and even when successful (5) breakups.

It’s much easier to watch a pronstar do her thing and get back to your Netflix series or video game.

Discuss Thrower
11-30-2020, 01:06 PM
Guys don’t chase pussy anymore because they *are* pussies. It involves (1) effort, (2) time, (3) $$$, (4) rejection, and even when successful (5) breakups.

You forgot potential criminal charges.

notorious
11-30-2020, 01:07 PM

It’s much easier to watch a pronstar do her thing and get back to your Netflix series or video game.

Couldn’t agree more, but the slow death of bar’s pre-covaids is tied to it.

Mecca
11-30-2020, 01:08 PM

Some people do like being home more as others like being out more...but life is different even before covid. Younger people have been raised that everything they want to do can be done from the house...the coolest video games are at home, you can get better beer, audio, tv all in your house...

Things are a lot different than they use to be.

Bearcat

I know you're just here to pick arguments no matter how dumb they are, so whatever, but this board is probably full of 30-60 year olds who did the bar scene at one point and now just want some goddamned peace and quiet (myself included).

And yes, technology has vastly changed over the years... people haven't.

suzzer99
Or, and I know this sounds crazy, you could try to meet women somewhere other than a bar.

notorious
11-30-2020, 01:10 PM
Kids need to learn that the thrill of the hunt is sometimes better than the meal it provides.

ptlyon
11-30-2020, 01:10 PM
Or, and I know this sounds crazy, you could try to meet women somewhere other than a bar.

In her bathroom has never worked for me

Mecca
11-30-2020, 01:11 PM
Kids need to learn that the thrill of the hunt is sometimes better than the meal it provides.

The rise of things like tinder has even made this act much easier...everything is easier and doesn't require the effort it once did.

Prison Bitch
11-30-2020, 01:12 PM
Couldn’t agree more, but the slow death of bar’s pre-covaids is tied to it.

I know you're just here to pick arguments no matter how dumb they are

Are you saying Notorious agreed with my dumb argument?

AdolfOliverBush
11-30-2020, 01:12 PM

Why run down your prey with a knife in your teeth, when you can have a buffet delivered to your front door free of charge?

Work smart, not hard. LMAO

Prison Bitch
11-30-2020, 01:13 PM
The rise of things like tinder has even made this act much easier...everything is easier and doesn't require the effort it once did.

This just isn’t true. Study after study says most men fail badly at online dating. Let’s not push the narrative getting laid is as easy as ordering a pizza.

MahiMike
11-30-2020, 01:14 PM

Hey, I agree w/Prison Bitch!

I feel it's my obligation to visit as many small businesses as possible. I've doubled down since March. I'm a big believer in buying local. These are your neighbors.

Discuss Thrower
11-30-2020, 01:14 PM
This just isn’t true. Study after study says most men fail badly at online dating. Let’s not push the narrative getting laid is as easy as ordering a pizza.

Incel-like typing detected.

Mecca
11-30-2020, 01:15 PM

That probably has more to do with the fact that younger people have shitty social skills due to the way they communicate now.

It's still much easier now than it use to be added on with all the other options at someone's fingertips to engage their time in and here we are.

Mecca
11-30-2020, 01:16 PM
Hey, I agree w/Prison Bitch!

I feel it's my obligation to visit as many small businesses as possible. I've doubled down since March. I'm a big believer in buying local. These are your neighbors.

Yea but at the same time 9 out of 10 things you say are completely idiotic so agreeing with Prison Bitch isn't a shocker out of you now is it?

notorious
11-30-2020, 01:16 PM

Yep.

Women want to be pursued, even by their husbands that have been married for years.

You better be in the top 10% of men if you want to slay pussy without work. I know I was in the “work” category. LMAO

AdolfOliverBush
11-30-2020, 01:17 PM

Those men are likely even worse at non-online dating.

suzzer99
No idea why I didn't marry that chick I finger-banged behind the dumpster 45 minutes after meeting her in the bar. I guess the pull of netflix and video games was just too strong.

Bugeater

So were many of the people that Covid has killed. But that's somehow different.

Prison Bitch
11-30-2020, 01:18 PM
Yep.

Women want to be pursued, even by their husbands that have been married for years.

You better be in the top 10% of men if you want to slay pussy without work. I know I was in the “work” category. LMAO

Why are you such a good poster?

Megatron96
11-30-2020, 01:18 PM
Reading just the last page of posts makes me wonder whether any of you have even been to a sports bar. Hell, any bar. Well, except Dane, but he lives in SoCal, which isn't really a bar mecca. It's kind of an anti-bar place. Like Tulsa Ok is to strip clubs. They resemble bars superficially, but CA sports bars are just about the worst venues imaginable so far as bars go.

The only thing worse might be national chain sports bar, like Hooters, Wild Wings, etc. The atmosphere is gimmicky like McDs/Wendy's, and the food is basically crap. Add in the wait staff that all wear the same outfit and stupid pins with dumb sayings on them and you're in bar hell with fake perky people bringing you drinks, hopefully some time before you actually have to get up and go to the bar and ask for one.

suzzer99
11-30-2020, 01:19 PM
So were many of the people that Covid has killed. But that's somehow different.

One's a business and one is a human being. Slight difference there.

And many people weren't close to dying. So that part is different too.

suzzer99
11-30-2020, 01:20 PM
Reading just the last page of posts makes me wonder whether any of you have even been to a sports bar. Hell, any bar. Well, except Dane, but he lives in SoCal, which isn't really a bar mecca. It's kind of an anti-bar place. Like Tulsa Ok is to strip clubs. They resemble bars superficially, but CA sports bars are just about the worst venues imaginable so far as bars go.

The only thing worse might be national chain sports bar, like Hooters, Wild Wings, etc. The atmosphere is gimmicky like McDs/Wendy's, and the food is basically crap. Add in the wait staff that all wear the same outfit and stupid pins with dumb sayings on them and you're in bar hell with fake perky people bringing you drinks, hopefully some time before you actually have to get up and go to the bar and ask for one.

The drinks are so watered down at all those corporate places it's ridiculous. A bloody mary is basically tomato juice. If I do ever have to go to a BWW I only order beer.

ptlyon
11-30-2020, 01:22 PM

I will have you know the prime rib at baby dolls is delicious :harumph:

KCUnited
"Someone explain Bloody Marys to me. Y'all drinking spaghetti sauce with vodka."

suzzer99
I will have you know the prime rib at baby dolls is delicious :harumph:

Hooters used to have the best fish sandwich around - The Grouper. Good fried fish, cheese, onions, soft roll - it was perfect. But the last time I went to one it wasn't on the menu anymore. :(

Bugeater
11-30-2020, 01:23 PM
One's a business and one is a human being. Slight difference there.

And many weren't close to dying. So that part is different too.

Yep. Lives matter. Livelihoods don't. I get it. Loud and clear.

Discuss Thrower
11-30-2020, 01:24 PM
What's easier to control: the monetary policies of several thousand banks with a few million in deposits or a dozen each with deposits in the hundreds of billions of dollars?

Which is easier when it comes to mandating social justice and climate change policies: ensuring that several thousand independent storefronts abide by those mandates or three huge multinational conglomerates?

ptlyon
11-30-2020, 01:24 PM
Hooters used to have the best fish sandwich around - the Grouper. Good fried fish, cheese, onions, soft roll - it was perfect. But the last time I went to one it wasn't on the menu anymore. :(

Their steamed shrimp was always good

suzzer99
11-30-2020, 01:25 PM

Both matter but human lives generally take precedence. It's not good business to kill your customers. See Boeing stock the last few years.

It just sucks for bars that people drinking together for hours in a confined space while they lose all inhibitions is like the worst thing you can do in a pandemic.

Marcellus
11-30-2020, 01:26 PM
LMAO

Fish actually thinks government forced shutdown are = to "Market Capitalism".

Unreal, just completely insane.

suzzer99
11-30-2020, 01:29 PM
Their steamed shrimp was always good

Yeah.

I had terrible luck with waitresses there. I always seemed to get the one who was busting out of that gold hose they wore, and had a cold sore.

Megatron96
11-30-2020, 01:31 PM
"Someone explain Bloody Marys to me. Y'all drinking spaghetti sauce with vodka."

People that say that also think that the Olive Garden actually serves marinara sauce. And those noodles are really pasta.:D

Discuss Thrower
11-30-2020, 01:31 PM
Both matter but human lives generally take precedence. It's not good business to kill your customers. See Boeing stock the last few years.

So bad that the MAX crashes caused their stock to drop 17 months after the fact and totally unrelated to the events of March 2020.

It just sucks for bars that people drinking together for hours in a confined space while they lose all inhibitions is like the worst thing you can do in a pandemic.

Like Nashville this summer?

suzzer99
11-30-2020, 01:35 PM
So bad that the MAX crashes caused their stock to drop 17 months after the fact and totally unrelated to the events of March 2020.

Yeah I read that wrong. Never mind I guess you can kill your customers and no one cares.

Fish
11-30-2020, 01:40 PM
Fish actually thinks government forced shutdown are = to "Market Capitalism".

Unreal, just completely insane.

Remember when you predicted that the Coronavirus death total wouldn't go over 5,000?

Hilarious...

Bearcat
11-30-2020, 01:41 PM

As far as KC is concerned, there are very few places I can think of that I'd rather watch sports than Buffalo Wild Wings... there are some sports bars around town that have better food or more local things on the walls, and I'm sure they have better drinks (I would always stick to beer at BWW)..... but, for wall-to-wall TVs where you don't have to sit in a particular spot to see that one TV with a game on (or struggle to hear the sound, if it's playing at all), and what I think is decent food, it's hard to beat, IMO.

If you're talking about a Cheers kind of quaint bar... then yeah, not a fan on game day.

Mecca
11-30-2020, 01:41 PM
Remember when you predicted that the Coronavirus death total wouldn't go over 5,000?

Hilarious...

He just meant in his hick town of mcbubbelfuck missouri man, get it right.

Pointer19
11-30-2020, 01:43 PM

A common argument I've heard from people in favor of abortion is "the kids would be born into poverty with parents who can't afford them, it's better this way."

stevieray
11-30-2020, 01:50 PM
Yep.

Damn right.

I love the process. Know all the buttons to push.

Prison Bitch
11-30-2020, 01:52 PM
Damn right.

I love the process. Know all the buttons to push.

You’re a genius then. I’ve been married 12 years and I still can’t predict her reaction to anything I say or do. :D

Megatron96
11-30-2020, 01:55 PM
As far as KC is concerned, there are very few places I can think of that I'd rather watch sports than Buffalo Wild Wings... there are some sports bars around town that have better food or more local things on the walls, and I'm sure they have better drinks (I would always stick to beer at BWW)..... but, for wall-to-wall TVs where you don't have to sit in a particular spot to see that one TV with a game on (or struggle to hear the sound, if it's playing at all), and what I think is decent food, it's hard to beat, IMO.

If you're talking about a Cheers kind of quaint bar... then yeah, not a fan on game day.

Guess they don't have real sports bars in KC. When I lived there in the late '90s I was working way too much to spend any time in bars, and I worked almost every Sunday back then, so watching the game at all was a no-go.

STL had some good sports bars, neighborhood joints with plenty of TVs, or the local fan bar (can't remember the name of it now, but there was a Chiefs bar in STL back then), so all 12 TVs were tuned to the Chiefs game if possible.

But a decent family-owned sports bar also has great food, not that crap they serve at BWW. Because it matters to the guy/girl actually cooking it. It's like a signature thing. Their name/reputation is riding on the quality of the food they're serving. national chains serve the same crap whether they're in NY or TX. So you get Olive Garden quality menus.

I could get into the details of what makes a great bar, and why it's a great meeting place/cultural icon, but I have a feeling this is far from the right audience, so I'm done with this one, other than to say that the demise of the locally-owned sports bar/watering hole will be a sad day, and not just for their owners, and not even for just their patrons, but for the American cultural landscape as well.

But at least we have zoom and phone apps so more people can look like zombies hunched over their tiny screens ignoring their fellows, right?

Bowser
11-30-2020, 01:59 PM
That probably has more to do with the fact that younger people have shitty social skills due to the way they communicate now.

It's still much easier now than it use to be added on with all the other options at someone's fingertips to engage their time in and here we are.

If only we had places to go where younger people could go to have fun, interact and work on their social skills with the opposite sex....

Discuss Thrower
11-30-2020, 02:00 PM
If only we had places to go where younger people could go to have fun, interact and work on their social skills with the opposite sex....

Sounds selfish to me.

Bearcat
11-30-2020, 02:04 PM

Like, here (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=164919)?

DaneMcCloud
11-30-2020, 02:06 PM

We do. It's called Starbucks.

:D

htismaqe
11-30-2020, 02:08 PM

Man, you're old.

sedated
11-30-2020, 02:08 PM
I'm not sure why all the blame is going to the shutdowns (well, I get it based on how people must focus on the politics of it).

Its not like everything would be normal if the restrictions never happened. Places around me have been open, but mostly empty. Plenty of people don't want to go to packed bars, even if allowed.

Bowser
11-30-2020, 02:12 PM
Like, here (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=164919)?Too-fucking-shay, haha

We do. It's called Starbucks.

:DLMAO I guess they can go straight to their blogs and bitch how Pat wasn't impressed with the triple latte order with extra mocha

Man, you're old.

Saying "interacting with the other 57 genders" just sounds exhausting, lol.

BigCatDaddy
11-30-2020, 02:12 PM
I'm not sure why all the blame is going to the shutdowns (well, I get it based on how people must focus on the politics of it).

Its not like everything would be normal if the restrictions never happened. Places around me have been open, but mostly empty. Plenty of people don't want to go to packed bars, even if allowed.

It's amazing how much difference an hour drive makes. Nobody gives a shit here.

Bob Dole
11-30-2020, 02:16 PM

I’m sitting in a locally owned billiards and sports bar right now. I didn’t pay to park, my beers is $1.50, and I can walk next door and get and excellent locally owned burger for $6.

ptlyon
11-30-2020, 02:18 PM
I’m sitting in a locally owned billiards and sports bar right now. I didn’t pay to park, my beers is $1.50, and I can walk next door and get and excellent locally owned burger for $6.

Damn. Thought you were gonna say blowjob.

Megatron96
11-30-2020, 02:20 PM

DINGDINGDING. :thumb:

Prison Bitch
11-30-2020, 02:21 PM

Nah man, you just order those up online.

suzzer99
11-30-2020, 02:25 PM

Yeah those Chinese-owned burgers just don't have the same zip to them.

notorious
11-30-2020, 02:29 PM
Yeah those Chinese-owned burgers just don't have the same zip to them.

Are you hungry 30 minutes after eating a Chinese-owned burger?

Titty Meat
11-30-2020, 02:34 PM

This is exactly why I started dating guys and have had much success doing so. My friend Emily taught me how to give blowjovs. First I started by practicing on a banana. Then me and her would take turns on her friend Andrew.

Bob Dole
11-30-2020, 02:35 PM

They’ve turned our downtown into an entertainment district where you can wander around with your drink. One of the newest has a vacant lot next to it where they have live music on Fridays and show a movie on the wall Saturdays. Bounce houses and shit for kids. Food trucks. A margarita shop opened up in a caboose adjacent to the lot (Railyard District). It’s been cool to see it all come together in the middle of this pandemic.

Titty Meat
11-30-2020, 02:36 PM

No. Bars are expensive, most carry just basic bourbons so what I pay for 5 or 6 Makers Mark's I could get a nice bourbon, they are crowded, drunk people do dumb shit, I've been going to bars since I was 19 and just over it.

vailpass
11-30-2020, 02:44 PM

That's a neat trick if you can do it, for sure.

Bearcat
11-30-2020, 02:44 PM
Guess they don't have real sports bars in KC. When I lived there in the late '90s I was working way too much to spend any time in bars, and I worked almost every Sunday back then, so watching the game at all was a no-go.

STL had some good sports bars, neighborhood joints with plenty of TVs, or the local fan bar (can't remember the name of it now, but there was a Chiefs bar in STL back then), so all 12 TVs were tuned to the Chiefs game if possible.

But a decent family-owned sports bar also has great food, not that crap they serve at BWW. Because it matters to the guy/girl actually cooking it. It's like a signature thing. Their name/reputation is riding on the quality of the food they're serving. national chains serve the same crap whether they're in NY or TX. So you get Olive Garden quality menus.

I could get into the details of what makes a great bar, and why it's a great meeting place/cultural icon, but I have a feeling this is far from the right audience, so I'm done with this one, other than to say that the demise of the locally-owned sports bar/watering hole will be a sad day, and not just for their owners, and not even for just their patrons, but for the American cultural landscape as well.

But at least we have zoom and phone apps so more people can look like zombies hunched over their tiny screens ignoring their fellows, right?

Meh... weighing one set of criteria for watching the Chiefs at a bar (which for me, 90% of it revolves around a lot of large TVs with multiple games and easily hearing the Chiefs game) doesn't mean I have zero appreciation for alternatives.

Just this past long weekend, I went to my favorite local place for beer... chatted with the guys behind the counter who I've chatted with many times over the past few years. They're a bit lax on any purchase limits for bottles because I spend a decent amount of money there. Called another liquor store just to see what they had, and the woman who answered the phone had no clue what I was asking for or who even made Bourbon County Stout.

Not the perfect example because the 2nd place is also a local shop and any large chain like BevMo or Total Wine would probably have more knowledge than that one woman, but still... obviously can appreciate one experience over the other.

In the valley, I'll hit Wandering Tortoise or The Theodore Beer Bar or a few other local places, because not only do they have great beer, they also know their shit. The localness is far more important to me in that situation, because they generally have far superior beer... and socializing a bit and being able to get intelligent answers to beer-related questions is far more important to me than wondering if the guy behind the bar thought that one play was a catch or not. :shrug:

Discuss Thrower
11-30-2020, 02:48 PM
They’ve turned our downtown into an entertainment district where you can wander around with your drink. One of the newest has a vacant lot next to it where they have live music on Fridays and show a movie on the wall Saturdays. Bounce houses and shit for kids. Food trucks. A margarita shop opened up in a caboose adjacent to the lot (Railyard District). It’s been cool to see it all come together in the middle of this pandemic.

LITERALLY killing customers

DaneMcCloud
11-30-2020, 03:33 PM
It’s natural as you age.

I don't know what it's like in your neck of the woods but when I go out with my friends, we don't hit bars, per se, we grab an awesome steak at Flemings or Cut or any other premiere steak joint, then head to a hotel of choice to hang out for the rest of the night such as The Roosevelt, The W Hollywood or even downtown to the Figueroa Hotel and Bar.

Those places are generally devoid of drunk idiots and loud sound systems so we're able to chat and hang out like adults.

Saulbadguy
11-30-2020, 03:47 PM
Good riddance.

KChiefs1
11-30-2020, 03:48 PM
Reading this thread, makes me realize that America will never be great again.

Glad I lived when it was.

Mecca
11-30-2020, 03:51 PM
Reading this thread, makes me realize that America will never be great again.

Glad I lived when it was.

But isn't it actually a good thing that younger generations are drinking less?

Bearcat
11-30-2020, 03:56 PM

America used to be great because people worked hard and weren't lazy bums like the current generation.... except when they were spending hours on end sitting at bars and drinking, which the current generation doesn't do, but should.

Mecca
11-30-2020, 03:58 PM
America used to be great because people worked hard and weren't lazy bums like the current generation.... except when they were spending hours on end sitting at bars and drinking, which the current generation doesn't do, but should.

It's weird to me how so many people long for what used to be even if it sucked.

Titty Meat
11-30-2020, 03:59 PM
It's weird to me how so many people long for what used to be even if it sucked.

Atleast people back then made sacrifices for eachother. Today's generation cant even wear a mask.

Megatron96
11-30-2020, 04:10 PM

It isn't just about drinking. I don't go to the bar with the express purpose of getting smashed anymore. Haven't really in decades. In fact, if you're my age and you're still going to the bar for the specific purpose to get blasted, you're probably pretty stupid.

Most of the time I have a couple beers or drinks, and hang out with friends/family. it's a meeting place, with a particular atmosphere, and hopefully food, that we enjoy.

It can be a place to just unwind after a long day. When I lived in Chicago there were two kinds of bars I'd spend time in. The one near the train stop near work, and the one near the train stop near home. The ones near work were the ones I'd usually meet my friends/co-workers at because it usually was in between everyone. The ones near home were the ones I used to unwind after a long week, play some pool, etc.

Some bars are for socializing, and some are for being around people while being comfortable being alone with your thoughts or a book for a couple hours. And so on.

Here in PHX I don't have as many options, but I still have found a great sports bar for watching the game with friends, another for watching just Chiefs games, one for watching Blues games (and eating St. Louis pizza/toasted ravs), another for shooting pool with my pool-shooting friends, and one for just being alone with my thoughts for awhile. Some of these can be interchangeable, a couple cannot.

BigCatDaddy
11-30-2020, 04:15 PM

They drink less and smoke a hell of a lot more weed. Pick your poison.

DaFace
11-30-2020, 04:18 PM
Some of you guys need to tell the young whippersnappers to get off your lawn. Or maybe go yell at some clouds.

tooge
11-30-2020, 04:23 PM

Comparing BWW to most sports bars is apples to oranges. It's the Home Depot of sports bars. The cool little local owned sports bars have unique foods, unique drinks, and unique decor and patrons. BWW people are all the same dude

Bearcat
11-30-2020, 04:24 PM
Some of you guys need to tell the young whippersnappers to get off your lawn. Or maybe go yell at some clouds.

https://i.imgur.com/m3mWxFb.jpeg

Marcellus
11-30-2020, 04:26 PM

Hilarious...

I was way wrong, got me.

I still very easily understand the very obvious difference between government mandated lock downs and market capitalism, so I wouldn't be throwing stones if I were you.

notorious
11-30-2020, 04:31 PM
I don't know what it's like in your neck of the woods but when I go out with my friends, we don't hit bars, per se, we grab an awesome steak at Flemings or Cut or any other premiere steak joint, then head to a hotel of choice to hang out for the rest of the night such as The Roosevelt, The W Hollywood or even downtown to the Figueroa Hotel and Bar.

Those places are generally devoid of drunk idiots and loud sound systems so we're able to chat and hang out like adults.

I had a couple employees over the summers that were 19 and 20 years old. Talking to them opened my eyes to youth activities.

I’m just like you, only with much fewer options. Most of my friends (and myself) have pretty cool bar setups at their place which we find way nicer than putting up with the crap at a normal bar. Besides, my ring of friends has shrunk drastically as I’ve aged.

I might hit a bar once a year to catch a game with visiting friends, and I’ve always left disappointed.

Bob Dole
11-30-2020, 04:32 PM

There aren’t any children near me, so I’m relegated to yelling that at random dogs.

DaFace
11-30-2020, 04:33 PM
There aren’t any children near me, so I’m relegated to yelling that at random dogs.

ROFL

Sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

Bob Dole
11-30-2020, 04:34 PM
ROFL

Sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

I’ve honestly done it. It makes me laugh.

Marcellus
11-30-2020, 04:37 PM
I had a couple employees over the summers that were 19 and 20 years old. Talking to them opened my eyes to youth activities.

I’m just like you, only with much fewer options. Most of my fiends (and myself) have pretty cool bar setups at their place which we find way nicer than putting up with the crap at a normal bar. Besides, my ring of friends has shrunk drastically as I’ve aged.

I might hit a bar once a year to catch a game with visiting friends, and I’ve always left disappointed.

I don't think people go to sports bars to watch specific games very often, at least not games of teams they are a fan of unless in out of market areas.

I watched a game last year in Chicago at Toons which is a Chiefs Bar and it was pretty insane. You had to get there an hour before kick off to get a decent seat. The place was wall to wall Chiefs fans having a blast. :shrug:

March Madness and stuff like that can be fun at a bar but I wouldn't go to one to watch a Chiefs game unless I was out of town.

I know the thread topic is specifically sports bars but I really look at this topic as effecting local restaurants, breweries and pubs etc...

tooge
11-30-2020, 04:44 PM

I live in a town outside of KC but not too far. Our local watering hole is mostly people I'd say from 35 to 65 years old. And it's NOT a bunch of overt/covert drunks. It's a bunch of people who's kids played sports together, went to school together, etc who can all go meet for a beer, grab a bite to eat, and tell stories and shit. It's called social gathering. I don't think I've ever been in there and not seen at least three people I know that I can catch up with. Maybe it's a unique local spot type of thing. We go almost every thursday night right after work (I'm off Friday). Generally we don't watch Chiefs games there, because I'd rather watch at home so I can do replays, and pause to take a piss or walk my dog.

Bugeater
11-30-2020, 04:46 PM
Atleast people back then made sacrifices for eachother. Today's generation cant even wear a mask.

Oh shut the hell up, this thread isn't about masks

ChiefsCountry
11-30-2020, 04:53 PM
I don't like sports bars to watch games of big importance to me but grabbing dinner with multiple tvs and different games is fine with the right atmosphere.

Titty Meat
11-30-2020, 05:21 PM
Oh shut the hell up, this thread isn't about masks

Suck my dick

BigRedChief
11-30-2020, 05:24 PM
I use to hang at sports bars. Now, it’s only on football game days. I go to a lot of different type of bars now.

sedated
11-30-2020, 05:25 PM
Comparing BWW to most sports bars is apples to oranges. It's the Home Depot of sports bars. The cool little local owned sports bars have unique foods, unique drinks, and unique decor and patrons. BWW people are all the same dude

What makes a true "sports bar"?

I've always had places near me that had TVs and they showed sports, but not what I would consider a sports bar. They hardly ever had the sound from the game and the workers rarely changed the TVs unless someone asked. Yeah they showed Chiefs games but I went to one for lunch and a local city council meeting was on half the TVs.

bdj23
11-30-2020, 05:29 PM
I usually go to the bar when I know nobody will be there on Saturday and leave when the crowd shows up.

I'm an anti social drunk

notorious
11-30-2020, 05:31 PM
I don't think people go to sports bars to watch specific games very often, at least not games of teams they are a fan of unless in out of market areas.

I watched a game last year in Chicago at Toons which is a Chiefs Bar and it was pretty insane. You had to get there an hour before kick off to get a decent seat. The place was wall to wall Chiefs fans having a blast. :shrug:

March Madness and stuff like that can be fun at a bar but I wouldn't go to one to watch a Chiefs game unless I was out of town.

I know the thread topic is specifically sports bars but I really look at this topic as effecting local restaurants, breweries and pubs etc...

We had to cancel our March Madness trip to Vegas damnit. That would be like going to one GIGANTIC sports bar.

Megatron96
11-30-2020, 05:35 PM

I've always had places near me that had TVs and they showed sports, but not what I would consider a sports bar. They hardly ever had the sound from the game and the workers rarely changed the TVs unless someone asked. Yeah they showed Chiefs games but I went to one for lunch and a local city council meeting was on half the TVs.

People show up to watch sports. These days the big draw is MMA fights. One of the sports bars i go to has about 200 TVs from 35 inchers (guessing) all the way up to several 60+s. They turn the sound up so everyone can hear the sound, even in the restrooms, and these events are heavily advertised locally weeks before the event. They pack them in elbow-to-elbow (pre-bug) every time.

I don't show up for MMA fights, and the crowd for football is a bit smaller, but just about everyone there is there to watch the game of their choice.

Bring a group and they'll tune the TVs in front of you to the game of your liking. I've been going there a long time so even if I show up alone I can get a bartender to switch one TV to whatever I want.

Pointer19
11-30-2020, 05:41 PM
People show up to watch sports. These days the big draw is MMA fights. One of the sports bars i go to has about 200 TVs from 35 inchers (guessing) all the way up to several 60+s. They turn the sound up so everyone can hear the sound, even in the restrooms, and these events are heavily advertised locally weeks before the event. They pack them in elbow-to-elbow (pre-bug) every time.

I don't show up for MMA fights, and the crowd for football is a bit smaller, but just about everyone there is there to watch the game of their choice.

Bring a group and they'll tune the TVs in front of you to the game of your liking. I've been going there a long time so even if I show up alone I can get a bartender to switch one TV to whatever I want.

Have you seen those "silent discos" or whatever they call them where each patron wears a headset and listens to their choice of music? I wonder if it'd be feasible to have a sports bar that hands out one-ear headphones (kind of like those big wired telephone headsets) that allow guests to listen to their choice of game while still being able to communicate with those around them.

Wait, that's a great idea. Nobody steal that.

Copyright 30 November 2020, Pointer19

Megatron96
11-30-2020, 05:51 PM
Have you seen those "silent discos" or whatever they call them where each patron wears a headset and listens to their choice of music? I wonder if it'd be feasible to have a sports bar that hands out one-ear headphones (kind of like those big wired telephone headsets) that allow guests to listen to their choice of game while still being able to communicate with those around them.

Negative, GhostRider. I have not. Not sure how I'd feel about that. I hate phones in general, and people wandering about wearing headphones/ear pieces annoy me just a little less.

But from a bar gimmick perspective, yeah, it probably would go over pretty good. Not everywhere, but in urban bigger city environments, sure.

Discuss Thrower
11-30-2020, 05:52 PM

https://tunity.com/

Pointer19
11-30-2020, 05:55 PM
https://tunity.com/

Damn, DT, you work fast! Make sure you cut me in on the profits. LMAO

Discuss Thrower
11-30-2020, 05:56 PM
Damn, DT, you work fast! Make sure you cut me in on the profits. LMAO

Every man for himself motherfucker!

KChiefs1
11-30-2020, 06:14 PM

Alcohol was one of the things that made America great.

Easy 6
11-30-2020, 06:18 PM
Reading through this thread on breaks at work today was truly depressing, just a whole lotta callous indifference ranging from "well I never cared for bars so who cares?"... to basically "bars are for old drunken hillbillies anyway!"

Just a bunch of gross and tone deaf horseshit, the divide in this nation is so real and its not ever going away... we see it play out here every day

I used to think I'd love to meet just about anyone here "hey we'd get along just fine in real life!"... but nah, I was quite wrong

KChiefs1
11-30-2020, 06:19 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dKkeYTmP_BA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201201/10b7f6f015b7db1a355eaf12149d1f5d.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201201/da30ba72579ea313832f7dbda529bc47.jpg

DaneMcCloud
11-30-2020, 06:19 PM
Alcohol was one of the things that made America great.

Yeah, it's so great that it kills nearly 100,000 people each and every year.

KChiefs1
11-30-2020, 06:21 PM

https://media4.giphy.com/media/PXMhNHif9uzzW/giphy.gif

Megatron96
11-30-2020, 06:24 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201201/10b7f6f015b7db1a355eaf12149d1f5d.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201201/da30ba72579ea313832f7dbda529bc47.jpg

That's awesome.

Bearcat
11-30-2020, 06:26 PM
Reading through this thread on breaks at work today was truly depressing, just a whole lotta callous indifference ranging from "well I never cared for bars so who cares?"... to basically "bars are for old drunken hillbillies anyway!"

Just a bunch of gross and tone deaf horseshit, the divide in this nation is so real and its not ever going away... we see it play out here every day

I used to think I'd love to meet just about anyone here "hey we'd get along just fine in real life!"... but nah, I was quite wrong

The last part seems extreme (and there's also a lot of empathy in this thread, even from those who saw it coming or don't go to bars or whatever).

Hell, just ask FDE... we go way back and once lived in the same neighborhood. And we've had our differences here for sure... but, we met up a couple of AFCCGs ago and none of that bullshit matters.

Internet personas are just that.

Megatron96
11-30-2020, 06:27 PM

But employs 10s of millions. in fact, it helped create the American economy.
Saved millions of lives as well. Created the Kennedy empire, made JFK POTUS.

Bearcat
11-30-2020, 06:29 PM
https://i.imgur.com/GtRONZ1.gif

Bugeater
11-30-2020, 06:32 PM
Suck my dick

Beat it, ginger. Nobody is buying the tough guy routine.

DaneMcCloud
11-30-2020, 06:34 PM
Created the Kennedy empire, made JFK POTUS.

Kennedy was a criminal and a Nazi sympathizer.

And alcohol was prohibited for 13 years in the USA, so not everyone has shared your idea of its greatness in building America.

Megatron96
11-30-2020, 06:42 PM
Kennedy was a criminal and a Nazi sympathizer.

And alcohol was prohibited for 13 years in the USA, so not everyone has shared your idea of its greatness in building America.

I didn't say it was great. Didn't opine as to whether Kennedy was anything but a robber baron type with their wealth based in alcohol. Just stated the facts.

Alcohol employs millions, directly and indirectly. It did fuel the american economy, and at a certain point it was a major force in it.

It did send JFK to the WH as our 35th POTUS, which in turn gave us the birth of NASA, and in turn the first man on the moon. Et cetera and so on.

Good or bad is relative to the observer. i wasn't trying to argue with you, Dane. I just stated a couple facts concerning the impact that alcohol has had in America, period.

Pointer19
11-30-2020, 06:43 PM

Is that the joint out in Philly? Watched our playoff game against the Steelers where they won with only FGs there. :mad:

ChiefsCountry
11-30-2020, 06:47 PM
Alcohol is a major business in Missouri thanks to Anheuser-Busch.

Megatron96
11-30-2020, 06:50 PM
Alcohol is a major business in Missouri thanks to Anheuser-Busch.

Went to the brewery many times when i lived in STL. Two friends on mine worked there as 'hosts' or something, so we'd take the tour at least once a month. Got to try out dozens of beers no one's ever heard of. one was Carlsberg, which was a Danish beer, iirc, that they eventually began selling in the U.S.

But you didn't want to live downwind of that place. Stank like hell when they were cooking hops or whatever.

KCUnited
11-30-2020, 06:59 PM
Craft beer is actual American manufacturing owned by Americans

Marcellus
11-30-2020, 07:07 PM

You already know who is going to post what before you read it.

suzzer99
11-30-2020, 07:12 PM
There's a good Chiefs bar out here in the Valley - Jalapeno Pete's. But you have to be in line for 2 hours before gametime to get a table, or you're standing in people's way the whole game. It was a lot easier before Mahomes.

There used to be a place called Kansas City BBQ - run by a guy who used to work at Gates then moved out here. It had pretty good BBQ (very rare for LA) great beer, always Chiefs games and wasn't usually too crowded. But like pretty much every bar in the Valley, it went on one of those bar makeover shows. After that it sucked. The food got worse and it had some stupid attempt at an upscale BBQ "lounge" on the bar side. So dumb.

Titty Meat
11-30-2020, 07:27 PM
Beat it, ginger. Nobody is buying the tough guy routine.

You're desperately in need of an SSRI you miserable fuck

DaneMcCloud
11-30-2020, 07:58 PM
There's a good Chiefs bar out here in the Valley - Jalapeno Pete's. But you have to be in line for 2 hours before gametime to get a table, or you're standing in people's way the whole game. It was a lot easier before Mahomes.

There used to be a place called Kansas City BBQ - run by a guy who used to work at Gates then moved out here. It had pretty good BBQ (very rare for LA) great beer, always Chiefs games and wasn't usually too crowded. But like pretty much every bar in the Valley, it went on one of those bar makeover shows. After that it sucked. The food got worse and it had some stupid attempt at an upscale BBQ "lounge" on the bar side. So dumb.

KC BBQ was pretty good, then they changed their vibe and it went downhill fast.

Jalapeño Pete’s is about 12 minutes from me and I’ve threatened to go several times, only to stay home and watch in comfort infront of a 75” 4K TV that I have all to myself.

:D

DaneMcCloud
11-30-2020, 07:59 PM

I’ll have a few THC Lagunitas to go...

stevieray
11-30-2020, 08:01 PM

Don't forget the Distilleries!

KCUnited
11-30-2020, 08:03 PM
I’ll have a few THC Lagunitas to go...

They’re 50% owned by Heineken and don’t meet the craft brewery criteria as a result but I like where your head’s at

DaneMcCloud
11-30-2020, 08:08 PM
They’re 50% owned by Heineken and don’t meet the craft brewery criteria as a result but I like where your head’s at

Dude, they’re freaking awesome! I had my first one earlier this year down in Carlsbad Village and it was as good as any Craft beer we had that night. Seriously.

And unlike edibles, which can take a few hours to kick in, those 5 mg Lagunitas kicked in really quickly, like in 30 minutes or less. They’re about $9 dollars each at the Dispensaries but that’s the bottom dollar I’d pay for for an Amstel during Happy Hour in Hollywood, so it’s really no biggie.

If you get the chance, try one. :D

KCUnited
11-30-2020, 08:26 PM
Dude, they’re freaking awesome! I had my first one earlier this year down in Carlsbad Village and it was as good as any Craft beer we had that night. Seriously.

And unlike edibles, which can take a few hours to kick in, those 5 mg Lagunitas kicked in really quickly, like in 30 minutes or less. They’re about $9 dollars each at the Dispensaries but that’s the bottom dollar I’d pay for for an Amstel during Happy Hour in Hollywood, so it’s really no biggie.

If you get the chance, try one. :D

Yeah I’d be all over that for $9

I’ll be on the lookout, maybe they’ll show up once their Chicago brewery reopens

Cleavage
11-30-2020, 08:39 PM
I was way wrong, got me.

I still very easily understand the very obvious difference between government mandated lock downs and market capitalism, so I wouldn't be throwing stones if I were you.

You actually predicted less than 5K people would die due to covid? Should we really listen to anything you say? lol

suzzer99
11-30-2020, 08:43 PM
KC BBQ was pretty good, then they changed their vibe and it went downhill fast.

Yeah they had that stupid bar makeover and it ruined the whole place. I live in Redondo Beach but have some buddies who are Chiefs fans up in the Valley.

suzzer99
11-30-2020, 08:45 PM
You actually predicted less than 5K people would die due to covid? Should we really listen to anything you say? lol

Marcellus believes he can make things true by believing them hard enough. It's called magical thinking. Most people grow out of it by age 5 or so.

Marcellus
11-30-2020, 08:49 PM
Marcellus believes he can make things true by believing them hard enough. It's called magical thinking. Most people grow out of it by age 5 or so.

:rolleyes: If I had your record around here I wouldn't be piping in. You have disappeared many times for obvious reasons.

vailpass
11-30-2020, 08:54 PM

Take that shit to the COVID thread; get your skirt cleaned while you’re there.

Marcellus
11-30-2020, 08:57 PM
Take that shit to the COVID thread; get your skirt cleaned while you’re there.

The obvious mult at least has a nice avatar.

vailpass
11-30-2020, 08:58 PM
Don't forget the Distilleries!

Yes, nothing more American than bourbon. Doing the Tennessee distillery tour is an unchecked box on my list.

vailpass
11-30-2020, 09:00 PM
The obvious mult at least has a nice avatar.

It would be more descriptive if they were attached to a boar.

Fat Elvis
11-30-2020, 09:07 PM

That's awesome.

Not so awesome if you know some of the history of it's regulars and Chiefsplanet....that there is the anus of Chiefs Kingdom.

notorious
11-30-2020, 09:11 PM
Not so awesome if you know some of the history of it's regulars and Chiefsplanet....that there is the anus of Chiefs Kingdom.

Story time, Elvis.

REDHOTGTO
11-30-2020, 09:13 PM
Sports bars are hurting because younger generations dont have to buy a chick a drink to get laid, they have apps for licking ass now.

this

IowaHawkeyeChief
11-30-2020, 09:14 PM

Where is this?

Marcellus
11-30-2020, 09:16 PM
Where is this?

Big Charlie's in Philly I believe.

Fat Elvis
11-30-2020, 09:17 PM
Story time, Elvis.

I think there were some threads recently about those times....it was all pretty psycho. Some of those folks really crossed a line back then.

Megatron96
11-30-2020, 09:20 PM

Best reason to avoid knowing the particulars of things. That's why I don't want to know about Chiefs players' personal lives. Might find out something I don't like.

It's a cool looking place though. We have this place here in Scottsdale that's a Chiefs fan bar, and it's got a lot of that kind of Chiefs paraphernalia hanging from the walls. I like the place enough to go enjoy the occasional game there, but I don't go enough to get to know anyone there. Might find out some regular or bartender is a real POS, and then what? There's only one Chiefs bar in AZ, so best to keep it very casual.

P.S. The food is pretty danged good though. If i lived in Scottsdale I'd probably spend a lot more time there.

ChiefsCountry
11-30-2020, 09:20 PM
Story time, Elvis.

Start reading
https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=46587

KChiefs1
11-30-2020, 09:34 PM
Is that the joint out in Philly? Watched our playoff game against the Steelers where they won with only FGs there. :mad:

Big Charlie’s Saloon

I’ve visited there a few times. Wear your Chiefs gear in there & you are family. They love to have people in KC visit. True diehard fans.

Prison Bitch
11-30-2020, 09:42 PM
Once (fall 1997 actually since I was a SR in college) we were all out at Harpo’s Westport. DT, Rison et al were in there at a table and I thought it was amazing being by actual pro athletes.

Then Dale Carter came stumbling past everyone whining “Aw DT I am so f*** HIIIIGH”. So there’s that.

KChiefs1
11-30-2020, 09:45 PM
Big Charlie's Saloon:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aFdFb3--8o0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UrXwk0tpnT0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zyNoFo7zi38" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Guya9YI2tGk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ORlJsSvq-Wg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Titty Meat
11-30-2020, 10:58 PM
Once (fall 1997 actually since I was a SR in college) we were all out at Harpo’s Westport. DT, Rison et al were in there at a table and I thought it was amazing being by actual pro athletes.

Then Dale Carter came stumbling past everyone whining “Aw DT I am so f*** HIIIIGH”. So there’s that.

That place makes me feel old now

GloryDayz
11-30-2020, 11:22 PM
The people responsible for these shutdowns don't realize how bad they are hurting business. And yet for the most part they put those people back in power. Just amazing. And sad.I'll bet the 20-somethings who work at these bars voted for Biden. Basically they voted themselves out of a job.

LOL, just LOL... Fuck 'um, I'm doing fine.

htismaqe
11-30-2020, 11:25 PM
Big Charlie’s Saloon

I’ve visited there a few times. Wear your Chiefs gear in there & you are family. They love to have people in KC visit. True diehard fans.

The correct word is "hardcore". :D

KChiefs1
11-30-2020, 11:30 PM
Yes, nothing more American than bourbon. Doing the Tennessee distillery tour is an unchecked box on my list.

Great book

https://books.google.com/books/about/Pappyland.html?id=4G7cDwAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=kp_read_button

KChiefs1
11-30-2020, 11:35 PM
The correct word is "hardcore". :D

A die-hard fan is someone or something that shows or possesses extreme, absolute or complete loyalty even if facing defeat or hopelessness. An example of a die hard fan is a person who goes to see a losing team play every single game, even in the rain or if the game is a practice game.

A hard core fan is someone who supports something really actively and with a lot of enthusiasm. If you never miss a game for your favorite sports team and have the names of all the players memorized, you're a hard core fan.

You can be both.

https://media4.giphy.com/media/W3a0zO282fuBpsqqyD/giphy.gif

htismaqe
11-30-2020, 11:38 PM
A die-hard fan is someone or something that shows or possesses extreme, absolute or complete loyalty even if facing defeat or hopelessness. An example of a die hard fan is a person who goes to see a losing team play every single game, even in the rain or if the game is a practice game.

A hard core fan is someone who supports something really actively and with a lot of enthusiasm. If you never miss a game for your favorite sports team and have the names of all the players memorized, you're a hard core fan.

You can be both.

https://media4.giphy.com/media/W3a0zO282fuBpsqqyD/giphy.gif

Sorry, it's an old CP joke. You must not have gotten it.

KChiefs1
11-30-2020, 11:41 PM
Sorry, it's an old CP joke. You must not have gotten it.

https://media0.giphy.com/media/y62P0aQUYLYAg/giphy.gif

|Zach|
12-01-2020, 12:13 AM
Surprised the posts here almost unanimously indicated a lot of these places were going downhill from COVID I feel like in Kansas City there are a lot of places that have thrived for a while and continue to do so. Sure places come and go that is the business but a lot of neighborhood joints are really popular.

It also is not just young people at these places. KC joints that stick out to me are Caddyshack (one of my favorites), The Ship, Tower Tavern, The Brick, Hi-Dive, Blue Line, Lucky Boys, Campground, Voltaire, Helen's JAD...that is just to name a few.

In "normal" times you go into any of those places and they are thriving 7 of those you could catch a game at. Makes me wonder if this is more of a suburban\rural issue?

vailpass
12-01-2020, 12:16 AM
Great book

https://books.google.com/books/about/Pappyland.html?id=4G7cDwAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=kp_read_button

Thanks.

Order #
111-XXXXXXX-XXXXXXX
Order total
$25.93 (1 item)
Cancel items
Shipment details
Change shipping speed
Not yet shipped
Delivery Estimate
Thursday, December 3, 2020 - Saturday, December 5, 2020 by 10pm

Pappyland: A Story of Family, Fine Bourbon, and the Things That Last $23.99
Qty: 1
Sold By: Amazon.com Services LLC

JakeF
12-01-2020, 12:19 AM
Destroy what America created:

The middle class.The middle class was destroyed years ago. That's what trickle down economics does.

|Zach|
12-01-2020, 12:24 AM
Surprised the posts here almost unanimously indicated a lot of these places were going downhill from COVID I feel like in Kansas City there are a lot of places that have thrived for a while and continue to do so. Sure places come and go that is the business but a lot of neighborhood joints are really popular.

It also is not just young people at these places. KC joints that stick out to me are Caddyshack (one of my favorites), The Ship, Tower Tavern, The Brick, Hi-Dive, Blue Line, Lucky Boys, Campground, Voltaire, Helen's JAD...that is just to name a few.

In "normal" times you go into any of those places and they are thriving 7 of those you could catch a game at. Makes me wonder if this is more of a suburban\rural issue?

Makes me miss meeting some people for dinner on 39th street and grabbing a mystery beer at Hi Dive. Looking forward to normal times.

https://i.ibb.co/c3tS5dP/IMG-20180109-184618.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/qgsZnM4/IMG-20190407-202005-968.jpg

eDave
12-01-2020, 12:37 AM
Drunk driving laws should be figured into the equation.

Titty Meat
12-01-2020, 01:19 AM

You didnt even mention the best one.... zoo Bar!

suzzer99
12-01-2020, 01:25 AM
Nothing better than a Sin City Disciples show at Davey's Uptown. That was my early 20s.

|Zach|
12-01-2020, 02:39 AM
You didnt even mention the best one.... zoo Bar!

I had it on my mind but it has been a while since I have stopped in was not sure if it was still rocking.

|Zach|
12-01-2020, 02:40 AM
Nothing better than a Sin City Disciples show at Davey's Uptown. That was my early 20s.

Lots of good times.

Demonpenz
12-01-2020, 02:45 AM
Buzzard Beach with all those tatted chicks in the basement and the MAME machine with 500000 games on it.

PunkinDrublic
12-01-2020, 03:07 AM
It’s funny, I got laid more in my 30’s once I stopped chasing pussy and felt more comfortable going out alone relaxing, having a few drinks and not giving a shit. There’s always a game on to watch, people to bullshit with and games to play on your phone to keep you entertained. You start acting like it’s your personal living room and people pick up on it.

KChiefs1
12-01-2020, 07:26 AM
It’s funny, I got laid more in my 30’s once I stopped chasing pussy and felt more comfortable going out alone relaxing, having a few drinks and not giving a shit. There’s always a game on to watch, people to bullshit with and games to play on your phone to keep you entertained. You start acting like it’s your personal living room and people pick up on it.

Absolutely! :thumb:

I tried to tell guys on the hunt that women can spot that shit from a mile away. Just sit down & have a drink & be yourself will draw more pussy than you can shake your dick at.

tooge
12-01-2020, 10:40 AM

I still stop into Caddy Shack about once a month. Usually after eating dinner somewhere near the river market we will pop in there for a beer.